PDA

View Full Version : 2017 (Way Too early) Colonial Athletic Football Conference Predictions

youcanbankit
March 4th, 2017, 03:15 PM
School

Conf. Wins

Conf. Losses

Richmond

Vilanova

James Madison

Stony Brook

Towson

New Hampshire

Maine

William & Mary

Univ. Albany

Delaware

Elon

Rhode Island

DFW HOYA
March 4th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the updates, waiting for the rather obvious Patriot League standings.

UDel and URI at 2-6? Ouch.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 4th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I have a hard time seeing Villanova going 6-2. They lost quite a bit on defense, their QB situation is pretty average and they'll be breaking in a new head coach. They also took some assistant staff hits.

BestDaneSinceHamlet
March 4th, 2017, 04:43 PM
How do you have Albany going backwards when they bring back almost every skill position and have bulked up everywhere?

JMUisat14
March 4th, 2017, 05:31 PM
I think Delaware is better than 2-6 in conference with Rocco at the helm. For the same reason Richmond is a bit of an unknown until we see a few games. The season opener in Huntsville will be telling.

Which two games do the Dukes lose?
Maine
@UDel
Villanova
@W&M
UNH
@URI
Richmond
@Elon

Gangtackle11
March 4th, 2017, 06:47 PM
I have a hard time seeing Villanova going 6-2. They lost quite a bit on defense, their QB situation is pretty average and they'll be breaking in a new head coach. They also took some assistant staff hits.

I'll take them one at a time. Villanova will beat Lehigh the same way as last season.

Running the football 50+ times. Lost some big names on defense, but the back 8 is essentially intact in their 3-3-5 except Calitro @ OLB. (Nova has depth there & the probable replacement was a stud in Pitt game). That will help slow down the Lehigh's pass offense. The front 3 have the biggest question marks especially with Kpassagnon taking his beastly act to the NFL.

As far as the CAA it's JMU on the top of hill & we'll sort out of the rest.

KPSUL
March 4th, 2017, 07:23 PM
This is too easy:

1. JMU
2-12. Everyone else

Billnonymous
March 5th, 2017, 07:49 AM
School

Conf. Wins

Conf. Losses

James Madison

Richmond

Villanova

Stony Brook

Towson

New Hampshire

Maine

William & Mary

Univ. Albany

Delaware

Elon

Rhode Island

fixed your post for ya!

UNHWildcat18
March 5th, 2017, 08:36 PM
This is too easy:

1. JMU
2-12. Everyone else

This, also its pretty funny to think a young UMAINE, UNH, UA team from last year are going to do worse in conference than stony brook and towson this year. Poster doesn't pay attention to other conferences that much

RootinFerDukes
March 6th, 2017, 07:33 AM
JMU is on an 11 game winning streak vs CAA opponents going back to the 2015 season. They've also won 21 of their last 25 CAA games over the last three seasons. What part of that makes you say we will definitely lose 2 CAA games?

Additionally, Towson is too high. Albany and Delaware are too low. Maybe WM too but I need to see them improve first.

Mattymc727
March 6th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Its going to be one hell of a year in the CAA. Wooo!

Mattymc727
March 6th, 2017, 09:19 AM
UNH again has a pretty favorable CAA slate. No UD, No Nova, No Richmond.

Id chalk that trip to JMU as a loss, and probably @ W&M as well considering history, but they could possibly sweep the rest of the slate considering whats returning.

Its safe to say UNH is the middle of the pack right now, but there is a lot of potential in the young squad. Seems like they are 1 yr away from being 2014 good again.

DirtyDukes
March 7th, 2017, 12:12 PM
I'd like to predict Gangtackle gets SO SALTY when we score 80 on multiple opponents again next year

I'm actually kind of looking forward to it

Gangtackle11
March 7th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I'd like to predict Gangtackle gets SO SALTY when we score 80 on multiple opponents again next year

I'm actually kind of looking forward to it

21 against Villanova will do it.

UIWWildthing
March 7th, 2017, 01:18 PM
5 wins for us? If that happens I'll be pleased.

Tribe4SF
March 8th, 2017, 07:03 AM
.... too low. Maybe WM too but I need to see them improve first.

Me too! 2016 team underachieved. New QB is the key question. High hopes for Rfr. Dean Rotger and true Frosh Shon Mitchell who is already in school. Soph. Brandon Battle and Jr. Tommy McKee also in mix. Only McKee has seen the field. Rotger excelled with scout team, and Mitchell is highly rated. Battle with terrific arm, but has been slow to develop. McKee was backup last year but lacks the arm of the others.

Lehigh'98
March 8th, 2017, 08:29 AM
I'll take them one at a time. Villanova will beat Lehigh the same way as last season.

Running the football 50+ times. Lost some big names on defense, but the back 8 is essentially intact in their 3-3-5 except Calitro @ OLB. (Nova has depth there & the probable replacement was a stud in Pitt game). That will help slow down the Lehigh's pass offense. The front 3 have the biggest question marks especially with Kpassagnon taking his beastly act to the NFL.

As far as the CAA it's JMU on the top of hill & we'll sort out of the rest.

I mean, that is the blueprint to beat us and until I see differently, I have to assume we will get ran on. That being said, anything could happen in one game at home. The offense could go off, penalties, turnovers. Not so much an issue for Nova, but for Lehigh this is the biggest game of the year as far as being tested on a national level. After this, not much will move the needle. Scheduling Wagner was a terrible mistake (but at least I can go to it).

KPSUL
March 8th, 2017, 12:04 PM
UNH's biggest question mark is at QB also. The guy that is returning took the majority of snaps last season, but UNH Wildcat fans are all still prettr skeptical about Trevor Knight (the skinny guy from Nashua NH, not the guy at the NFL combine) The biggest moments for UNH last season occurred when the back-up Senior QB was playing, including 26 point 4th quarter blitzkrieg that fell a little short against JMU, The 4th Qtr comeback win to clinch the playoff slot vs Maine, and the big playoff victory over Lehigh. It remains to be seen if Knight will consistently put it together in his second season as a starter. He has very quick feet and can throw medium and short ranges passes accurately; however he tended to rush his throws to often and fail to see open receivers and bail out of the pocket too frequently.

Except for JMU, it'd very hard to handicap the CAA this season. Everyone else has too many question marks coming into the season. As far as the preseason predictions at the start of this thread; pure SWAG just to start a conversation. I agree with the JMU posts; I don't see them losing 2 conference games. Not impossible, but more likely I see someone sneaking out a win - I hope it occurs on Oct 28th. At 4-4, UNH is sold short, like normal in all these preseason predictions. If you've got some time on your hands, look at previous CAA seasons. I don't think we've had a season at or below .500 since the CAA starting sponsoring Football 11 seasons ago.

caribbeanhen
March 12th, 2017, 07:43 AM
School

Conf. Wins

Conf. Losses

Richmond

Vilanova

James Madison

Stony Brook

Towson

New Hampshire

Maine

William & Mary

Univ. Albany

Delaware

Elon

Rhode Island

Sleeper Elon, at least the appear to have a good coach now

To High - Richmond, Towson

No respect - JMU will dominate the CAA

but if - Delaware if they get a transfer QB, He wont need to be great just serviceable.... if this happens watch out....

jmufan999
March 13th, 2017, 01:52 PM
hard for me to see JMU going 6-2, but crazier things have happened for sure. I probably would have said 7-1, with the loss not being a trap game, but a game against a contender. I don't see JMU losing many trap games as long as Houston is around.

what could doom JMU:

*an injury to Schor: we were almost f***ed when he got injured early against Villanova. Johnson pulled off the win, but do we really know much about him yet? any JMU fan that says they're convinced really doesn't know, I don't care what the coaches say about him. there is very little tape on him. it's a question mark until he plays well consistently against good teams. the D won the Villanova game he started and Elon was terrible.

*WRs not winning 50-50 balls: dominated this area last year like no JMU team ever has. Schor just chucks it up (especially on 3rd and long) and they always come down with it. not "every now and then" but "every game, multiple times per game". with a new crop of receivers, will they be able to do this?

*offensive line issues: we lose (technically) 3 starters, although Chavious started the entire postseason in place of Kirsch. JMU has had a good/very good OL for most of the past decade, i'm not terribly worried but it's something to watch.

*is Jimmy Moreland ready to be a #1 CB: he has the most terrible hands you've ever seen in your life, but he's always in position. he has good size, instincts, and athleticism. but he's also never been the man. is he up to it?

jmufan999
March 13th, 2017, 01:56 PM
as far as the other teams, I can't see Delaware going 2-6. As much as I can't stand Rocco, he will have them closer to 4-4. not sure about Richmond at 7-1. They certainly have the talent, but a new coach would have me worried. before you point out the hypocrisy of what I just said about Delaware, remember this: Delaware has sucked for the last several years. Richmond hasn't. Delaware has nowhere to go but up. I'm not saying Richmond will be bad, because again, they're very talented. But 7-1 with a brand new coach would be incredible.

oh and I agree with KPSUL about UNH. 4-4 seems crazy to me. 6-2 would be the safe bet.

citdog
March 13th, 2017, 02:13 PM
as far as the other teams, I can't see Delaware going 2-6. As much as I can't stand Rocco, he will have them closer to 4-4. not sure about Richmond at 7-1. They certainly have the talent, but a new coach would have me worried. before you point out the hypocrisy of what I just said about Delaware, remember this: Delaware has sucked for the last several years. Richmond hasn't. Delaware has nowhere to go but up. I'm not saying Richmond will be bad, because again, they're very talented. But 7-1 with a brand new coach would be incredible.

oh and I agree with KPSUL about UNH. 4-4 seems crazy to me. 6-2 would be the safe bet.

The Citadel went 8-0 last year in the Southern Conference which is a better league than the CAA with a new coach...

KPSUL
March 13th, 2017, 07:08 PM
The Citadel went 8-0 last year in the Southern Conference which is a better league than the CAA with a new coach...

The CAA had a team that went 8-0 in regular season conference play also. How'd your 8-0 team do in the playoffs last season?

citdog
March 13th, 2017, 08:45 PM
The CAA had a team that went 8-0 in regular season conference play also. How'd your 8-0 team do in the playoffs last season?

So you sniff Mike Houston's jock now?

KPSUL
March 13th, 2017, 09:33 PM
So you sniff Mike Houston's jock now?

The answer is 0-1

DallasSpider
March 13th, 2017, 11:34 PM
I'm not saying Richmond will be bad, because again, they're very talented. But 7-1 with a brand new coach would be incredible.

Hey now, we didn't sell houston short. Anything can happen, but 7-1 with our loss being to y'all (if we must) seems like a realistic, although like you said "incredible", season. I think the conference championship should come down to our game once again.

Also, I really like Albany this year. Maybe I'm the only one

BestDaneSinceHamlet
March 13th, 2017, 11:46 PM
Albany could be very good, depending on a few things. How well Hanks comes back from a great sophomore season and a torn ACL, whether Brunson can step up at QB and whether the new OL, with lots of beef up front, can give both those guys time. The defense should be very good.

Dane96
March 13th, 2017, 11:59 PM
Albany is one more year away from making serious noise...for all the reasons noted above.

KPSUL
March 14th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Hey now, we didn't sell houston short. Anything can happen, but 7-1 with our loss being to y'all (if we must) seems like a realistic, although like you said "incredible", season. I think the conference championship should come down to our game once again.

I was at the JMU @ Richmond game. It was an excellent game, maybe the best CAA conference game of the season. However, the championship did not come down to that one game. Richmond ended up 5-3 in the conference. Even if JMU had lost that game they still would have won sole possession of the championship at 7-1. Had they won, U of R would have been in a 3 way tie for 2nd rather than tied for 4th with Maine.

jmufan999
March 14th, 2017, 07:15 PM
I was at the JMU @ Richmond game. It was an excellent game, maybe the best CAA conference game of the season. However, the championship did not come down to that one game. Richmond ended up 5-3 in the conference. Even if JMU had lost that game they still would have won sole possession of the championship at 7-1. Had they won, U of R would have been in a 3 way tie for 2nd rather than tied for 4th with Maine.

i'd also like to point out that our defense really didn't figure it out until the Villanova game at the end of the year. there were flashes before that, but it all clicked then and they never looked back. scheme is more aggressive, too, with much more press man than earlier in the year. i now want to see Lauletta against a much more confident, veteran group.

Gangtackle11
March 15th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Albany is one more year away from making serious noise...for all the reasons noted above.

The Great Danes will disappoint if they can't find a QB. The better CAA defenses will eat them alive if they continue to be 1 dimensional on offense.

DallasSpider
March 16th, 2017, 11:27 PM

At that point in the season, the mentality was very much the game was for the conference championship. UR was a 1 conference loss team and a win by us would have placed us ahead of JMU and Villanova (also only a conference 1 loss team at that point) us owning both tie breakers. A win there and Lauletta not getting hurt (or having any sort of realistic backup by Rocco) and we've got a 7-1 record. It didn't end up that way, but at that moment in time that was the championship.

Little Stevie
March 18th, 2017, 06:59 AM
2 wins is not gonna be enough at Rhody. Lost too many close games again last season. Towson really hurt.
Key as always is getting off to a good start.

caribbeanhen
March 18th, 2017, 07:21 AM
2 wins is not gonna be enough at Rhody. Lost too many close games again last season. Towson really hurt.
Key as always is getting off to a good start.

Hey, looks like we have ourselves a Rhode Island fan.......

RootinFerDukes
March 18th, 2017, 05:20 PM
URI, please don't close your program down. I don't want to have us add Monmouth.

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 18th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Richmond has a very challenging schedule with road games at Towson, UD, Villanova and JMU. The Spiders have a ton of talent back but going 5-3 or 6-2 would be very good with that slate. I don't see any way that 7-1 happens for the Spiders.

caribbeanhen
March 19th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Richmond has a very challenging schedule with road games at Towson, UD, Villanova and JMU. The Spiders have a ton of talent back but going 5-3 or 6-2 would be very good with that slate. I don't see any way that 7-1 happens for the Spiders.

that will be an interesting game when the Spiders walk over the ceiling and up to Newark.... I don't remember to many good CAA coaches making a CAA to CAA move.... our new staff should know a thing or two about how to beat you guys

Gangtackle11
March 20th, 2017, 06:18 AM
that will be an interesting game when the Spiders walk over the ceiling and up to Newark.... I don't remember to many good CAA coaches making a CAA to CAA move.... our new staff should know a thing or two about how to beat you guys

They may know the players, but they may not know the new staff & scheme. Rocco might find being on the other side Lauletta & Co. isn't the best place to be.

It will be a fun game to keep an eye on.

RootinFerDukes
March 20th, 2017, 07:35 AM
It was the A10 at the time, but Northeastern HC Don Brown left to go to UMass. That was within the conference.

caribbeanhen
March 20th, 2017, 06:49 PM
They may know the players, but they may not know the new staff & scheme. Rocco might find being on the other side Lauletta & Co. isn't the best place to be.

It will be a fun game to keep an eye on.

maybe Lauletta will be playing for Rocco again, hey a Hen can dream

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 22nd, 2017, 07:19 PM

Why waste the Internet space?

spdram
March 22nd, 2017, 09:08 PM

you better check your meds

Henny
March 22nd, 2017, 09:51 PM
Real Delaware football is back. Coach Rocco and staff are being given everything they need to make the Hens a sustained winner starting NOW. Lets see how Kyle handles his afternoon in Delaware Stadium this fall.

UNHWildcat18
March 23rd, 2017, 02:12 AM
URI, please don't close your program down. I don't want to have us add Monmouth.

I really hope they turn things around. I keep wishing they'd play an easier OOC to get some wins under their belt for morale. I don't think if they left the CAA would add anyone

caribbeanhen
March 23rd, 2017, 05:05 PM
Why waste the Internet space?

looks like the mention of Lauletta wakes up the slumbering Spider fans ... ha

- - - Updated - - -

you better check your meds

right, making sure you Richmond fans get of the downers

DallasSpider
March 23rd, 2017, 09:12 PM
Real Delaware football is back. Coach Rocco and staff are being given everything they need to make the Hens a sustained winner starting NOW. Lets see how Kyle handles his afternoon in Delaware Stadium this fall.

Hopefully he delivers an infuriating death of 8yd outs that us Spider fans are too used to seeing.

caribbeanhen
March 23rd, 2017, 10:53 PM
Hopefully he delivers an infuriating death of 8yd outs that us Spider fans are too used to seeing.

after what Delaware fans are used to seeing the past few years, 8 yard outs are welcome with open arms and better hands

things getting back to normal in Hen land with the announcement of OL transfer from Penn State

Report: OT Noah Beh to transfer from Penn State to DelawareLeave a comment (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/21/report-ot-noah-beh-to-transfer-from-penn-state-to-delaware/#respond) By John Taylor (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/author/johntaylorcft/)Mar 21, 2017, 11:11 PM EDT (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/21/report-ot-noah-beh-to-transfer-from-penn-state-to-delaware/)

A suspension for unspecified team rules kept Noah Beh from playing for Penn State for most of the 2016 season. Now, the offensive tackle has decided to ply his football wares at a lower rung on the collegiate ladder.
Citing program sources, 247Sports.com (http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Beh-not-on-roster-will-transfer-51890788) is reporting that Beh will transfer to Delaware to finish out his collegiate playing career. The Nittany Lions released their spring roster Tuesday morning, and Beh wasn’t listed on it.
The football program has thus far declined to address the lineman’s status with the team moving forward.
A three-star member of PSU’s 2014 recruiting class, Beh was rated as the No. 14 player at any position in the state of Pennsylvania. After taking a redshirt his true freshman season, Beh played in 13 games in 2015.
After working as a starter last spring, the suspension derailed Beh’s rise up the depth chart as he never played another down for the Nittany Lions. Despite the suspension, he was still permitted to practice with the team last year.
As Delaware plays at the FCS level, Beh will be eligible to play immediately in 2017. Counting this season, Beh will have two years of eligibility remaining.

RichH2
March 24th, 2017, 11:45 AM
I mean, that is the blueprint to beat us and until I see differently, I have to assume we will get ran on. That being said, anything could happen in one game at home. The offense could go off, penalties, turnovers. Not so much an issue for Nova, but for Lehigh this is the biggest game of the year as far as being tested on a national level. After this, not much will move the needle. Scheduling Wagner was a terrible mistake (but at least I can go to it).
Agree on Wagner. Not gonna complain tho just a 40 minute ride for me.

caribbeanhen
March 25th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Agree on Wagner. Not gonna complain tho just a 40 minute ride for me.

you got something against Staten Island? Nice view from Wagner

Gangtackle11
March 26th, 2017, 06:55 AM
you got something against Staten Island? Nice view from Wagner

$15 Goethals Bridge toll may be too much even for a Lehigh grad?

Gangtackle11
March 26th, 2017, 06:56 AM
after what Delaware fans are used to seeing the past few years, 8 yard outs are welcome with open arms and better hands

things getting back to normal in Hen land with the announcement of OL transfer from Penn State

Report: OT Noah Beh to transfer from Penn State to DelawareLeave a comment (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/21/report-ot-noah-beh-to-transfer-from-penn-state-to-delaware/#respond) By John Taylor (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/author/johntaylorcft/)Mar 21, 2017, 11:11 PM EDT (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/21/report-ot-noah-beh-to-transfer-from-penn-state-to-delaware/)

A suspension for unspecified team rules kept Noah Beh from playing for Penn State for most of the 2016 season. Now, the offensive tackle has decided to ply his football wares at a lower rung on the collegiate ladder.
Citing program sources, 247Sports.com (http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Beh-not-on-roster-will-transfer-51890788) is reporting that Beh will transfer to Delaware to finish out his collegiate playing career. The Nittany Lions released their spring roster Tuesday morning, and Beh wasn’t listed on it.
The football program has thus far declined to address the lineman’s status with the team moving forward.
A three-star member of PSU’s 2014 recruiting class, Beh was rated as the No. 14 player at any position in the state of Pennsylvania. After taking a redshirt his true freshman season, Beh played in 13 games in 2015.
After working as a starter last spring, the suspension derailed Beh’s rise up the depth chart as he never played another down for the Nittany Lions. Despite the suspension, he was still permitted to practice with the team last year.
As Delaware plays at the FCS level, Beh will be eligible to play immediately in 2017. Counting this season, Beh will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Can he throw?

caribbeanhen
March 26th, 2017, 01:18 PM
$15 Goethals Bridge toll may be too much even for a Lehigh grad?

continue across the Verazano and shell out another 16 bucks....

Gangtackle11
March 26th, 2017, 02:49 PM

On the way back.....

citdog
March 26th, 2017, 02:53 PM
On the way back.....

http://gregboats.com/pages/boat2.jpg

Lehigh'98
March 26th, 2017, 07:01 PM
On the way back.....

That section between the Goethals and Verrazano is possibly the worst drive in all of NYC. That and the Cross Bronx

Go...gate
March 27th, 2017, 01:53 AM

Hope you guys get Colgate back on the schedule.

Tribe4SF
March 27th, 2017, 06:13 AM
And another PL hijack meets with success!xrolleyesx

RootinFerDukes
March 27th, 2017, 06:54 AM

With those tolls, couple in the excessive property taxes, it's no wonder everyone is going south and getting the heck out of that region of the country.

caribbeanhen
March 27th, 2017, 02:03 PM
On the way back.....

That's right, but the curious thing is once Staten Island is in the rear view mirror, why would anyone pay to get back in?

Gangtackle11
March 27th, 2017, 02:51 PM
That's right, but the curious thing is once Staten Island is in the rear view mirror, why would anyone pay to get back in?

Staten Island was a nice place to live & commute to the city, but the Verrazano connected them to Brooklyn & Queens. That led to the urbanization & IMO the downfall of a decent place to live a generation ago. Still has some nice areas, but it's been pulled down over the years.

jmufan999
March 27th, 2017, 03:56 PM
back to football... figured I would bold the names for those of you that like to skim (I know I do).

the early reports are very good for Maryland transfer LB Gus Little. I honestly know nothing about him, but the coaches have mentioned that the simplicity of our system has made his transition very easy. Sounds like true Freshman DT Marcus Hawkins (enrolled in Jan) is having a tougher time. not a huge shock, he's mainly just talking about how much faster the game is. he's going to be a beast in time.

as I suspected, our RB coach mentioned that our running game should not only be as good as last year, but possibly better, with the addition of Georgia Tech transfer RB Marcus Marshall. I've seen a few videos, and this dude is FAST. it's fair to question the offensive line a bit (although i'm not super worried), but the backfield depth is insane. our 4th RB would be starting on a lot of FCS teams.

watch out for WR Riley Stapleton, 6'5" WR that I've been waiting to watch in person for a while now. he's a former HS basketball star, and his skill set is a perfect fit with what Schor does: chuck it up and let your guy make a play on a 50-50 ball.

Gangtackle11
March 27th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Villanova Pro Day today:

https://twitter.com/novafootball/status/846380889600921600

DirtyDukes
March 27th, 2017, 04:27 PM

https://media.tenor.co/images/54451401d52c0dd2fe9ee5752857d53c/tenor.gif

Gangtackle11
March 27th, 2017, 05:45 PM
https://media.tenor.co/images/54451401d52c0dd2fe9ee5752857d53c/tenor.gif

Yep. Looks like some Delaware fans think Rocco is the only thing they needed. They will be improved, but until they get a QB Michael will keep eating popcorn.

Henny
March 27th, 2017, 06:22 PM
xlolxGuys, Not sure you got the memo, Incompetent Dave got canned five months ago. You'll have to find someone else to beat up on. As for someone to throw the ball? He'll be here this summer. Enjoy!!!

caribbeanhen
March 27th, 2017, 07:49 PM
xlolxGuys, Not sure you got the memo, Incompetent Dave got canned five months ago. You'll have to find someone else to beat up on. As for someone to throw the ball? He'll be here this summer. Enjoy!!!

Henny, by the looks of things, Nova and JMU fans are no fans of Rocco, this is a good thing for Delaware...

Gangtackle11
March 27th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Henny, by the looks of things, Nova and JMU fans are no fans of Rocco, this is a good thing for Delaware...

Well.....tbh no fan of Cluck nation including Coach Cocko. xpeacex

RootinFerDukes
March 28th, 2017, 07:45 AM

The guy coached at Liberty and then Richmond. Now he's on to Delaware, slowly improving with each stop.

Henny
March 28th, 2017, 11:27 AM
The guy coached at Liberty and then Richmond. Now he's on to Delaware, slowly improving with each stop.

Uh Oh, queue the Spiders! They're already an angry bunch.

bostonspider
March 28th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I am not sure most Spiders don't feel that Huesman in the end could be a better fit for UR.. He was on the staff that won UR a national title, and his D's have always been stronger than Rocco's. I am cautiously very optimistic about UR's present and future.

Go...gate
March 28th, 2017, 11:56 AM
And another PL hijack meets with success!xrolleyesx

But of course!! :Dxthumbsupxxcoachx

DallasSpider
March 28th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I am not sure most Spiders don't feel that Huesman in the end could be a better fit for UR.. He was on the staff that won UR a national title, and his D's have always been stronger than Rocco's. I am cautiously very optimistic about UR's present and future.

Couldn't agree more, most fans I talk to, including ex players from the Rocco era, feel like this is a step up. Huesman achieved the same post season success as Rocco while at chatty and was a play away from advancing on in each postseason loss. Meanwhile Rocco left after three of the worst post season losses in school history.

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 28th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Meanwhile Rocco left after three of the worst post season losses in school history.

This was clearly Keith Gill and Administration's fault. Duh.

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 28th, 2017, 06:04 PM

And he'll probably be gone for ODU in 3-4 years when he feels that the "changing landscape" means G5 football is the place to be.

Henny
March 28th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Rocco has made it clear that he sees no more benefit to being at a G5 school vs UD. He's getting all the support he needs here and is only interested in building a sustained winner no matter if we stay FCS or go to the next level. Moving up is not in his mindset. He said he had an offer to go to MAC school as a head coach and was not interested in that situation.

The word on south campus is this coaching staff is extremely organized and motivated. The fact that they've basically stayed together has been a great advantage.

I do agree Huseman is a great pick for the Spiders with a proven track record.

Many interesting weekends coming up this fall.

DallasSpider
March 28th, 2017, 09:06 PM
This was clearly Keith Gill and Administration's fault. Duh.

Lack of vision...

Sad! Disgraceful! Fake News!

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 28th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Rocco has made it clear that he sees no more benefit to being at a G5 school vs UD. He's getting all the support he needs here and is only interested in building a sustained winner no matter if we stay FCS or go to the next level. Moving up is not in his mindset. He said he had an offer to go to MAC school as a head coach and was not interested in that situation.

That's the story now. We can laugh about it over a beer in a few years.

caribbeanhen
March 28th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Villanova Pro Day today:

https://twitter.com/novafootball/status/846380889600921600

4 Nova players and only one gold chain, the other 3 must of got mugged on the way in....xcoffeex

Gangtackle11
March 29th, 2017, 05:22 AM
4 Nova players and only one gold chain, the other 3 must of got mugged on the way in....xcoffeex

Yep....most likely by a couple of leftover KC Keeler recruits. xnodx

Gangtackle11
March 29th, 2017, 07:24 AM
You blue chicken fans will be all over this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5-twFr1is

RootinFerDukes
March 29th, 2017, 07:44 AM
And he'll probably be gone for ODU in 3-4 years when he feels that the "changing landscape" means G5 football is the place to be.

He'd be breaking his trend of gradual improvements by going to Oduh. That's a slight step up from Liberty and behind UR.

Henny
March 29th, 2017, 12:41 PM
You blue chicken fans will be all over this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5-twFr1is

HA!, He probably didn't even have to move and only need to put on a different shade of Blue!

caribbeanhen
March 29th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Yep....most likely by a couple of leftover KC Keeler recruits. xnodx

xrolleyesx

Soon we'll get back to doing the mugging on the field, enough is enough..

By the way, I happened across a few fathers of some Devine coached OL very recently.... I'll just say enjoy Devine's open mind, hopefully for you he's learned not to be so stubborn.... it wasn't just Brock...

Gangtackle11
March 29th, 2017, 08:32 PM
xrolleyesx

Soon we'll get back to doing the mugging on the field, enough is enough..

November 18, 2006
Newark, DE
Villanova
28–27

November 17, 2007
Villanova, PA
Villanova
19–14

November 22, 2008
Newark, DE
Villanova
21–7

November 21, 2009
Villanova, PA
Villanova
31–12

November 20, 2010
Newark, DE
Villanova
28–21 OT

November 19, 2011
Chester, PA
Delaware
26–16

November 17, 2012
Newark, DE
Villanova
41–10

November 23, 2013
Chester, PA
Villanova
35–34

November 22, 2014
Newark, DE
Villanova
35–28

September 19, 2015
Villanova, PA
Villanova
28–21

November 19, 2016
Newark, DE
Villanova
41–10

November 18, 2017
Villanova, PA

Sure hope so because the "basketball school" kind of owns you guys in football.

"Its not a rivalry if only one team wins."

xlolx

caribbeanhen
March 29th, 2017, 08:53 PM
November 18, 2006
Newark, DE
Villanova
28–27

November 17, 2007
Villanova, PA
Villanova
19–14

November 22, 2008
Newark, DE
Villanova
21–7

November 21, 2009
Villanova, PA
Villanova
31–12

November 20, 2010
Newark, DE
Villanova
28–21 OT

November 19, 2011
Chester, PA
Delaware
26–16

November 17, 2012
Newark, DE
Villanova
41–10

November 23, 2013
Chester, PA
Villanova
35–34

November 22, 2014
Newark, DE
Villanova
35–28

September 19, 2015
Villanova, PA
Villanova
28–21

November 19, 2016
Newark, DE
Villanova
41–10

November 18, 2017
Villanova, PA

xlolx

nice colors....

Gangtackle11
March 29th, 2017, 08:58 PM
xrolleyesx

By the way, I happened across a few fathers of some Devine coached OL very recently.... I'll just say enjoy Devine's open mind, hopefully for you he's learned not to be so stubborn.... it wasn't just Brock...

Here he will only be the OL coach. I've heard the players really like him & what he's preaching. You guys ran the ball effectively so that's a plus.

- - - Updated - - -

nice colors....

Yellow like chickens. xpeacex

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 29th, 2017, 09:57 PM
November 18, 2006
Newark, DE
Villanova
28–27

November 17, 2007
Villanova, PA
Villanova
19–14

November 22, 2008
Newark, DE
Villanova
21–7

November 21, 2009
Villanova, PA
Villanova
31–12

November 20, 2010
Newark, DE
Villanova
28–21 OT

November 19, 2011
Chester, PA
Delaware
26–16

November 17, 2012
Newark, DE
Villanova
41–10

November 23, 2013
Chester, PA
Villanova
35–34

November 22, 2014
Newark, DE
Villanova
35–28

September 19, 2015
Villanova, PA
Villanova
28–21

November 19, 2016
Newark, DE
Villanova
41–10

November 18, 2017
Villanova, PA

xlolx

Can you easily whip up some color coding of our winning 6 out of our last 8 against them, as well?

Sucks we missed out on playing them in the 2014 and 2015 campaigns.

Henny
March 30th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Now you guys know why we've had two coaches fired in four years!

Gangtackle11
March 30th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Now you guys know why we've had two coaches fired in four years!

It would be good for Delaware football to get back into the mix. Only makes the CAA stronger. Poking a little fun at you blue chickens here.

jmufan999
March 30th, 2017, 02:21 PM
biggest question mark on your team? you can only pick one position, not a position group.

i'll say RT. Chavious filled in admirably when Kirsch was out during the playoffs, but he'll need to take a big leap from last year to this year. he had an extremely rough outing in Fargo. I don't know enough about offensive line play to know his talent level. Hopefully he'll step up, that's a crucial position.

Gangtackle11
March 30th, 2017, 04:54 PM
biggest question mark on your team? you can only pick one position, not a position group.

i'll say RT. Chavious filled in admirably when Kirsch was out during the playoffs, but he'll need to take a big leap from last year to this year. he had an extremely rough outing in Fargo. I don't know enough about offensive line play to know his talent level. Hopefully he'll step up, that's a crucial position.

Villanova lost both DEs (including the CAA Defensive POY, 1st team AA Tanoh Kpassagnon & another All-CAA OLB (Calitro), but I think we have depth there to stem the obvious down grade.

My position of question is on offense and it's the LT where Nova lost to graduation 6'9" 325lbs. Brad Seaton (moving up the NFL scout lists). 6'6" 305 lbs. Brandon Hitner is the logical choice. Hasn't played a lot so it will be a spot to watch.

BestDaneSinceHamlet
March 30th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Albany = Quarterback, Quarterback, Quarterback, Quarterback. And MAYBE..the VERY young, but well recruited offensive line.

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 30th, 2017, 09:01 PM

How does UR handle the switch from 3-4 to 4-2-5? I'm concerned we don't have the horses at defensive end to generate enough pressure on the opposing qb.

DallasSpider
March 31st, 2017, 12:09 AM
RT, Kliebert got abused far too much last year and there is zero depth behind him. Hoping one of our many talented interior lineman can move outside and push to compete/start.

bluehenbillk
March 31st, 2017, 07:46 AM
Delaware is easy - QB. Walker has started, albeit very poorly, for the past two years. Most Hens fans will be shocked not to see a transfer under center.

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 31st, 2017, 08:49 AM
RT, Kliebert got abused far too much last year and there is zero depth behind him. Hoping one of our many talented interior lineman can move outside and push to compete/start.

I disagree with your analysis here. I thought Kliebert did well as a new starter last year and I also think Dixon and Markham are very strong backups at tackle.

I'm more concerned about the middle of the offensive line. Young is undersized at Center and we'll be breaking in a new Guard. The push in the middle is what worries me more than the protection on the edge.

DallasSpider
March 31st, 2017, 02:13 PM
I disagree with your analysis here. I thought Kliebert did well as a new starter last year and I also think Dixon and Markham are very strong backups at tackle.

I'm more concerned about the middle of the offensive line. Young is undersized at Center and we'll be breaking in a new Guard. The push in the middle is what worries me more than the protection on the edge.

There were times were he was able to serve function in my mind, but every game where there was a defensive end with speed or any general edge pressure he struggled. Multiple sacks and pressures against him from the Albany, Eastern Washington DEs and UNDs defense blitzing backers. I don't think he has the foot quickness to really protect the edge. Dixon and Markham are unknowns because they have yet to play meaningful game time and, in the two practices I have been able to attend, they struggled against wiggins, waller, and moore.

The two freshman who have been rotating in at the available guard spot looked much more comfortable playing than the tackles.

Big Duke
March 31st, 2017, 07:44 PM

He had a BAD game at NDSU, but I will mark that down as a learning experience. I was impressed with his play in the NC game. He got beat a few times, but I felt he held his own against NFL D ends. I think he is going to be a very good RT and with Mac Patrick at center and the talent we have coming in, our OL will be as strong as it was last year.

caribbeanhen
April 1st, 2017, 05:35 AM
How does UR handle the switch from 3-4 to 4-2-5? I'm concerned we don't have the horses at defensive end to generate enough pressure on the opposing qb.

Rocco said in a recent interview that one of the main reasons he plays the 3 4 defense is because he is in FCS meaning only 63 scholarships and also why he goes heavy on Linebackers is because of special teams, It's a numbers game

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 1st, 2017, 02:51 PM
Rocco said in a recent interview that one of the main reasons he plays the 3 4 defense is because he is in FCS meaning only 63 scholarships and also why he goes heavy on Linebackers is because of special teams, It's a numbers game

I didn't ask about that.

caribbeanhen
April 1st, 2017, 04:22 PM
I didn't ask about that.

yes I know. Questions rarely get answered on AGS...

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 2nd, 2017, 07:49 AM
yes I know. Questions rarely get answered on AGS...

Bud, this is an FCS football site. Not an FCS football dating site. I'm not interested in your nonsense.

caribbeanhen
April 2nd, 2017, 09:05 AM
Bud, this is an FCS football site. Not an FCS football dating site. I'm not interested in your nonsense.

Bud? have you been watching reruns of Father knows best there Charlotte? I gave you the words right out of Rocco's lips to your ears about some D philosophy....

and of your trying to ask me on a date the answer is a big No!

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 2nd, 2017, 09:13 AM
Bud? have you been watching reruns of Father knows best there Charlotte? I gave you the words right out of Rocco's lips to your ears about some D philosophy....

and of your trying to ask me on a date the answer is a big No!

Rocco is not my coach. I was talking about my defense. I didn't ask about yours. I already know you'll give room on the corners. I don't give 2 ****s. Not even 1.

Gangtackle11
April 2nd, 2017, 11:20 AM
Promising season ahead as CAA posters appear to be in mid season form. xpeacex

aceinthehole
April 2nd, 2017, 03:31 PM
Belt Parkway in Brooklyn on the other side of the Narrows is even worse. That and the Cross Bronx ... And the Sheridan by the Tribiro, and Grand Central near LaGuardia ...

Henny
April 2nd, 2017, 03:36 PM
Rocco is not my coach. I was talking about my defense. I didn't ask about yours. I already know you'll give room on the corners. I don't give 2 ****s. Not even 1.

I'd be pissed too Brother!

citdog
April 2nd, 2017, 03:44 PM
And the Sheridan by the Tribiro.

Named after a war criminal...

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-the-only-good-indians-i-ever-saw-were-dead-philip-sheridan-71-69-20.jpg

Gangtackle11
April 2nd, 2017, 04:24 PM
Named after a war criminal...

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-the-only-good-indians-i-ever-saw-were-dead-philip-sheridan-71-69-20.jpg

Nice try citdog.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_V._Sheridan

citdog
April 2nd, 2017, 04:32 PM
Nice try citdog.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_V._Sheridan

Damn it!

caribbeanhen
April 2nd, 2017, 05:16 PM

not my president .... boo hoo.... that Richmond game is getting more interesting ....

jmufan999
April 3rd, 2017, 09:26 AM
He had a BAD game at NDSU, but I will mark that down as a learning experience. I was impressed with his play in the NC game. He got beat a few times, but I felt he held his own against NFL D ends. I think he is going to be a very good RT and with Mac Patrick at center and the talent we have coming in, our OL will be as strong as it was last year.

fair enough. who is your biggest question mark on the team, if it's not Chavious? have to pick one, brother.

DirtyDukes
April 3rd, 2017, 10:27 AM
I think our biggest question is at punter. But then again we won't punt all season soooooooo

Big Duke
April 3rd, 2017, 07:15 PM
If I had to choose, I would say Right Guard. Only because Frank didn't come out much last year for anyone else to get playing time. We have some big guys to step up and some bigs coming in, so I think we will be fine there also. That would be my ? Spot

jmufan999
April 5th, 2017, 12:31 PM
bumpity bump

kdinva
April 7th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Recent Richmond, and current Delaware assistant Coach Fontel Mines, has "left" Coach Rocco for JMU..........

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

James Madison: Delaware wide receivers coach Fontel Mines has joined the JMU staff as tight ends / slot receivers coach. Mines spent the last five seasons at Richmond and the last three months at Delaware.

DallasSpider
April 7th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Recent Richmond, and current Delaware assistant Coach Fontel Mines, has "left" Coach Rocco for JMU..........

James Madison: Delaware wide receivers coach Fontel Mines has joined the JMU staff as tight ends / slot receivers coach. Mines spent the last five seasons at Richmond and the last three months at Delaware.

Don't think he wanted to leave Richmond being of the last declared to go to UD, but coaching change forced him to make a move. This puts one of our best recruiters for the state of virginia at JMU.

RootinFerDukes
April 7th, 2017, 12:16 PM
I welcome Coach Mines. Let's Mine Richmond, VA and leave the scraps for the SPATTERS.

jmufan999
April 7th, 2017, 12:21 PM
a couple of usually well-informed JMU fans seem very excited about this move. not only is he (evidently) a very good recruiter, but we now have two coaches to focus on our pass catchers. that's a lot of "face time" between players and coaches.

Longhorn
April 7th, 2017, 03:41 PM
hard for me to see JMU going 6-2, but crazier things have happened for sure. I probably would have said 7-1, with the loss not being a trap game, but a game against a contender. I don't see JMU losing many trap games as long as Houston is around.

what could doom JMU:

*an injury to Schor: we were almost f***ed when he got injured early against Villanova. Johnson pulled off the win, but do we really know much about him yet? any JMU fan that says they're convinced really doesn't know, I don't care what the coaches say about him. there is very little tape on him. it's a question mark until he plays well consistently against good teams. the D won the Villanova game he started and Elon was terrible.

*WRs not winning 50-50 balls: dominated this area last year like no JMU team ever has. Schor just chucks it up (especially on 3rd and long) and they always come down with it. not "every now and then" but "every game, multiple times per game". with a new crop of receivers, will they be able to do this?

*offensive line issues: we lose (technically) 3 starters, although Chavious started the entire postseason in place of Kirsch. JMU has had a good/very good OL for most of the past decade, i'm not terribly worried but it's something to watch.

*is Jimmy Moreland ready to be a #1 CB: he has the most terrible hands you've ever seen in your life, but he's always in position. he has good size, instincts, and athleticism. but he's also never been the man. is he up to it?

You get the thread's sandbagging prize. ✌️

I prefer the simple truth, which is JMU is set to field the strongest, deepest and most balanced team in its history. The 2017 version of JMU will be improved over the NC team, plus JMU plays all of the tougher league games at home.

While common sense says injuries can slow down JMU's dominance in 2017, your "points" regarding QB, WR, OL and CB (particularly CB where you seem to want us believe it all boils down to the play of Jimmy Moreland) are nothing but a smokescreen. Overconfidence and looking past an opponent will be the biggest impediments to JMU going undefeated, and I don't see those foibles happening under Mike Houston.

caribbeanhen
April 8th, 2017, 02:17 PM

hate to say it, but the talent level or lack thereof of the Delaware WR corps probably didn't do much to convince him to stay....

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 8th, 2017, 09:42 PM

Very big loss for Rocco. Very big get for Houston.

Henny
April 8th, 2017, 10:27 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24839&stc=1You have to admit Danny looks good in Blue and Gold. I think we'll survive without Mines.

spdram
April 9th, 2017, 08:54 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24839&stc=1You have to admit Danny looks good in Blue and Gold. I think we'll survive without Mines.

No I don't

pitpen
April 9th, 2017, 02:32 PM
No I don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48H34ukFe8g

spdram
April 9th, 2017, 07:04 PM
LOL, but still I don't have to admit any such thing.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 10th, 2017, 06:04 AM
Oh wow. YouTube found it's way into Delaware. Very nice.

Gangtackle11
April 10th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Love it. Crocko already holding his \\V// up!!!

jmufan999
April 10th, 2017, 01:13 PM
You get the thread's sandbagging prize. ✌️

predicting JMU to go 7-1 in the CAA is sandbagging? you're joking... right?

I prefer the simple truth, which is JMU is set to field the strongest, deepest and most balanced team in its history. The 2017 version of JMU will be improved over the NC team, plus JMU plays all of the tougher league games at home.

I didn't argue that this could be the best team in JMU history. I'm not ready, in APRIL, to say that it definitively is. You can't really say that either, except that you will and you won't come back and eat crow if you're wrong. You're pretty much the LakesBison of JMU, so thanks very much for making us proud. or maybe chattown. Either way, congrats.

What I did do is lay out a few things that COULD go wrong. OH, THE HORROR!!!!! it's called being realistic and not being a jackass fan that is completely out of touch with reality.

While common sense says injuries can slow down JMU's dominance in 2017, your "points" regarding QB, WR, OL and CB (particularly CB where you seem to want us believe it all boils down to the play of Jimmy Moreland) are nothing but a smokescreen.

what the f*** are you talking about? A smokescreen? For whom??? did you hear that, AGS? Longhorn thinks I'm trying to trick you!

Overconfidence and looking past an opponent will be the biggest impediments to JMU going undefeated, and I don't see those foibles happening under Mike Houston.

So there is only ONE thing that could possibly go wrong, and that's overconfidence... but even that can't happen. So there is absolutely nothing that can go wrong. 0% chance of it. That sounds realistic.

You heard it here first, AGS!

RootinFerDukes
April 10th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Longhorn isn't the chattown of JMU posters. He would have to act like a petulant 12 year old and fling insults with every sentence.

KPSUL
April 10th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Nice to see all the JMU fans getting along so well!

KPSUL
April 10th, 2017, 02:37 PM

Hey Danny, how many conferences games you gonna win this season?

citdog
April 10th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Hey Danny, how many conferences games you gonna win this season?

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/c052f1f6.jpg

Gangtackle11
April 10th, 2017, 06:01 PM

Hey Danny,

How many passes did you complete today? This is fun. ✌️

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 10th, 2017, 07:55 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24839&stc=1

Danny, how many stops did your defense get all game at Eastern Washington?

bluehenbillk
April 11th, 2017, 08:07 AM
I'm happy Rocco is in Newark, anything versus Brock is an upgrade, but I think Rocco was a good choice by UD. That being said, until the QB changes in Newark I don't see the point in getting excited. I'll stick with my Temple season tickets & haven't bought UD tix. Didn't make a single game last fall.

youcanbankit
April 12th, 2017, 07:00 PM
This is how I feel when the FCS teams start their football season. Every Saturday feels like this!

Start the video and wait 15 seconds then start the sound track!!!! Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpTj_Z9v-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bakJLAevo