PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine

Daytripper
March 4th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Not sure where to put this thread. Mods move if you deem necessary.

Just thought we could discuss the FCS players at the combine.

Just listening to the talking heads on NFL Network makes me think Cooper Kupp might slip into the first round.

KPSUL
March 4th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Not sure where to put this thread. Mods move if you deem necessary.

Just thought we could discuss the FCS players at the combine.

Just listening to the talking heads on NFL Network makes me think Cooper Kupp might slip into the first round.

Kupp had a disappointing 40 yard dash, best of 4.62. Of course there is ton of disagreement concerning the importance of the 40 in determining true football speed, but with a bunch of WRs sub 4.5, it might keep him out of the first couple of rounds.

WestCoastAggie
March 4th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Tarik Cohen raised some eyebrows during the receiving drills this morning.

geaux_sioux
March 4th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Former UND WR Kenny Golladay is killing it at the combine. 6'4" 4.47 40 18 bench reps. 2 years at UND and 2 at NIU. He's making himself some money right now.

SDFS
March 4th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Former UND WR Kenny Golladay is killing it at the combine. 6'4" 4.47 40 18 bench reps. 2 years at UND and 2 at NIU. He's making himself some money right now.

Sad part is that UND needed a play maker at WR this year... oh what could have been. In the end, it is the good and bad of a coaching change.

geaux_sioux
March 4th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Kupp had a disappointing 40 yard dash, best of 4.62. Of course there is ton of disagreement concerning the importance of the 40 in determining true football speed, but with a bunch of WRs sub 4.5, it might keep him out of the first couple of rounds.
His 40 time does't mean squat. He'll never come out of a 3 point stance on the field. He's just not a track guy. He is the best WR in this draft in the opinion of Steve Smith for what it's worth.

SENOREIDA
March 4th, 2017, 11:31 AM
De'Angelo Henserson ran two 4.48s and do 22 reps on the press

geaux_sioux
March 4th, 2017, 11:34 AM
And he's a brick **** house.

Daytripper
March 4th, 2017, 12:03 PM

I hope he does drop to my Texans in the third round. Not gonna happen, though. He won't get out of the 2nd round.

TheKingpin28
March 4th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Look for the Eagles to probably trade back out of 14 and grab a WR in this draft whether it be late first or early second round. I know Carson would love to have a WR that can catch a ball and run a route. Unless Stewart or Williams are there at 14, I think they trade back.

Would love to see Baltimore get 1 of these 3 guys. Then again, the Ravens need a new identity. It has been painful since the 2012 season culminating with the 2013 Superbowl.

SENOREIDA
March 4th, 2017, 12:33 PM
And he's a brick **** house.
He really is. Him and Dalvin Cook were the only RB's to place in the top ten in both the 40 and the press yesterday. Kid is a beast, and an all around good kid.

grizband
March 4th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Kupp had a disappointing 40 yard dash, best of 4.62. Of course there is ton of disagreement concerning the importance of the 40 in determining true football speed, but with a bunch of WRs sub 4.5, it might keep him out of the first couple of rounds.Big Sky Conference announced he ran a 4.58 after the 4.62; not a huge improvement, but it's there. Watching his 40 yard dash film, he's a little slow off the blocks; however, speed has never been his major asset. Route running, hands, and field vision have played more important roles in his game at EWU.

smallcollegefbfan
March 4th, 2017, 01:04 PM

That 4.62 is not too far off the 4.55 estimate myself and most had on him. I would say he just needs to run a mid to high 4.5, which is possible at pro day, to be right on where teams expected him to. I know what Kupp is and I would not push him out of the top 2 rounds. I never had him as a top 40 pick but I do think he is a definite 50-65 type pick right now. Kupp is a good player and was good enough at the Senior Bowl and in his career against big time competition that someone should still take him in round 2.

smallcollegefbfan
March 4th, 2017, 01:06 PM

He is a heck of a player. Too bad he did not stay in FCS. I remind folks who talk about FCS talent that while Brendan Langley is a true P5 player that there are a couple players in FBS who started out in FCS. Golladay should definitely get drafted. I had him as a 6-7 projection going in to this but I could see him sneak into round 5 or late 4 now.

smallcollegefbfan
March 4th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Tarik Cohen raised some eyebrows during the receiving drills this morning.

He was great in the NFLPA Bowl and showed the same speed and agility work he is doing at the combine. He has been showing it for 4 years. My only concern is that he is so tiny. I hope he overcomes it because he is so much fun to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Henderson is fun to watch.

smallcollegefbfan
March 4th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Big Sky Conference announced he ran a 4.58 after the 4.62; not a huge improvement, but it's there. Watching his 40 yard dash film, he's a little slow off the blocks; however, speed has never been his major asset. Route running, hands, and field vision have played more important roles in his game at EWU.

Which is why people need to be careful listening to what is said on TV. The thing on Kupp is a lot like Trubisky. He measured at 6'2 1/8 and scouts mostly expected 6'2 1/2 because UNC had said 6'3 or 6'4. Someone on TV says he is 6'1 and that has the media getting all happy because they are 6'2 but actually NFL people expected 6'2 1/2 and he was close to where they had him. Some media members will put stuff out there to create a story and in the Kupp 40 and Trubisky height there really is no story. They were both super close to what was expected.

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 02:42 PM

I think the 20 yd shuttle is so much more important than the 40. The 40 just has that mystique about it. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 as everyone knows.

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 02:44 PM
That 4.62 is not too far off the 4.55 estimate myself and most had on him. I would say he just needs to run a mid to high 4.5, which is possible at pro day, to be right on where teams expected him to. I know what Kupp is and I would not push him out of the top 2 rounds. I never had him as a top 40 pick but I do think he is a definite 50-65 type pick right now. Kupp is a good player and was good enough at the Senior Bowl and in his career against big time competition that someone should still take him in round 2.

Watch New England take him. Bill Belichik loves players who keep that chip on their shoulder. He'd be a great fit there.

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 02:46 PM

I'll never forgive South Carolina for not taking him out of Summerville HS. He would've easily been their best RB the past 2 seasons.

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Our guy OL Eric Austell did well. Finished in top 50% of every drill. Measured 6'3 301 lbs. Surprisingly because he played around 275. They're talking about him moving to center because hes too small for OT and doesnt have the base block for guard, but they love his agility and mental side. Im predicting hes a FA signee and a project to move to center. Practice squad for a couple years maybe.

ytownchief22
March 5th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Derek Rivers from YSU had 30 reps on bench press and ran a 4.61 forty at 6-4, 250 pounds. Beast.

ASU33
March 6th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Derek Rivers from YSU had 30 reps on bench press and ran a 4.61 forty at 6-4, 250 pounds. Beast.

Yes sir!

JSUSoutherner
March 6th, 2017, 11:46 AM
EWU should have recruited him as a receiver. :D

abc123
March 6th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Sad part is that UND needed a play maker at WR this year... oh what could have been. In the end, it is the good and bad of a coaching change.
Not that it matters, but he would already have been done had he stayed at UND. He sat out a year when he transferred to NIU (played 4 in 5) that he wouldn't have done at UND (played as a true freshman). Wish Kenny nothing but the best, he had star written all over him from the moment he got on campus.