PDA

View Full Version : Citadel taking another HUGE hit by early departure

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2017, 11:03 AM
CB Dee Delaney is going to Miami (FL). This is a big hit for them. I'm not sure why he thinks he has to leave to get to the NFL. Others have done well at The Citadel but this is the trend. I'm surprised that Goedert and Wieneke of SDSU have not decided to leave and go FBS as well.

TheKingpin28
February 28th, 2017, 11:20 AM
CB Dee Delaney is going to Miami (FL). This is a big hit for them. I'm not sure why he thinks he has to leave to get to the NFL. Others have done well at The Citadel but this is the trend. I'm surprised that Goedert and Wieneke of SDSU have not decided to leave and go FBS as well.

Jake would never leave. His father, my old gym coach back in high school for 3 years, is one of my friends who I keep in contact with as he has helped me out with different questions and suggestions, yet he knows how to give a good ribbing. His father and family are well rooted in a foundation that once you commit to something, you never quit on it. I asked him this past Christmas season about his son's senior year, and he said he looks forward to watching NDSU lose in the Dykehouse with Jake lifting the trophy high, (of course we all know SDSU is going to lose on their home turf and the Dakota Marker will go back home where it belongs and is surrounded by other D1 Football trophies). Jake is a well rooted man who does not just up and quit on something and he gets that from his parents.

Goedert on the other hand, if I had to guess, probably believes that since no one else gave him a chance, this is his way of saying, "I told you so" to the rest of D1 Football, since he has to be on the short list for D1 TE of the Year.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Jake would never leave. His father, my old gym coach back in high school for 3 years, is one of my friends who I keep in contact with as he has helped me out with different questions and suggestions, yet he knows how to give a good ribbing. His father and family are well rooted in a foundation that once you commit to something, you never quit on it. I asked him this past Christmas season about his son's senior year, and he said he looks forward to watching NDSU lose in the Dykehouse with Jake lifting the trophy high, (of course we all know SDSU is going to lose on their home turf and the Dakota Marker will go back home where it belongs and is surrounded by other D1 Football trophies). Jake is a well rooted man who does not just up and quit on something and he gets that from his parents.

Goedert on the other hand, if I had to guess, probably believes that since no one else gave him a chance, this is his way of saying, "I told you so" to the rest of D1 Football, since he has to be on the short list for D1 TE of the Year.

I don't see why players think they need to leave because there are plenty of examples of players doing well even from D3 and NAIA but if their goal in high school was to show they can play at the FBS level and they have that chance I can understand that part. However, hopefully it does not end up going like it did for the Delaware State DL when he went to Michigan State and did not get on the field.

Bucs2016
February 28th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Uh oh. Theres some grumblings of internal friction at Citadel around Charleston. We've heard some rumors that coaches and personalities arent getting along.

We start our series back up in 2018 and try to make it 5 in a row. Hoping this trend at El Cid continues!!!

TheKingpin28
February 28th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I don't see why players think they need to leave because there are plenty of examples of players doing well even from D3 and NAIA but if their goal in high school was to show they can play at the FBS level and they have that chance I can understand that part. However, hopefully it does not end up going like it did for the Delaware State DL when he went to Michigan State and did not get on the field.

If "you" are good enough to play, "you" will get noticed. It is that simple. I've always believed that if one makes a commitment to something, they honor the commitment.

citdog
February 28th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Hey smallcollegedouche it's THE Citadel. You would think after the way we whipped Appy's ass the last two times you would know that.

citdog
February 28th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Uh oh. Theres some grumblings of internal friction at Citadel around Charleston. We've heard some rumors that coaches and personalities arent getting along.

We start our series back up in 2018 and try to make it 5 in a row. Hoping this trend at El Cid continues!!!

You are full of ****. The only one hearing any grumblings is you when you talk to yourself. Just like Pinson Dee was here for 4 years and will leave with a degree. I wish him the best.

ASU33
February 28th, 2017, 01:28 PM

I was a grad transfer. For me I wanted to go out and play on the highest level and prove myself. You get one shot at this and once it's gone, it's gone! I didn't want to ever have to think about "what if". My one year at Mississippi State was an amazing year that I'll NEVER forget. I played in some amazing venues, in some amazing environments, got some nice upset wins against Alabama, Auburn, and Kentucky, help lead the team to it's first bowl win in 7 years, and was able to make the All-SEC 2nd team. I would tell any kid to think long and hard before making that move but if it's something deep down you feel like you want to do, then do it. Like I said, you get ONE shot at this.

citdog
February 28th, 2017, 01:36 PM
If "you" are good enough to play, "you" will get noticed. It is that simple. I've always believed that if one makes a commitment to something, they honor the commitment.

That's EXACTLY what these two young men did. They wore the uniform of a Cadet at The Citadel for 4 years and are leaving with degrees.

walliver
February 28th, 2017, 01:44 PM
The smaller SoCon schools generally have limited, or no, post-graduate programs, making it hard to retain graduating athletes, especially with the graduate transfer rule.

Wofford is losing last years initial starting QB to Law School and our all-star kicker to UGA.

Al Cobb isn't coming back to VMI.

I don't know the motivation of Mr. Delany. If his goal is to play in the NFL, that will be determined in the NFL camps. The recruiters know how to recognize talent in any division. Maybe he just wants to live a year in Miami, or just play on a bigger stage.

TheKingpin28
February 28th, 2017, 02:16 PM
That's EXACTLY what these two young men did. They wore the uniform of a Cadet at The Citadel for 4 years and are leaving with degrees.

And that is fine, that is not the point i am proposing or suggesting.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Hey smallcollegedouche it's THE Citadel. You would think after the way we whipped Appy's ass the last two times you would know that.

I expect The Citadel to be good but if the rumors people are talking about are really true I wonder if more is going on that will hurt you guys in the future. Honestly, if you look at GSU and App in FBS it is apparent neither team really cared or focused on their final SoCon seasons. It was sad to see powers go out the way they did but the SoCon slapped them around a little bit and now they are clearly happy going to bowls where they are. App lost a big time CB to grades and replaced him with a freshman All-American. It is harder to do that in FCS. Will you guys have a CB who can step in and be an all-conference player for you right away? Perhaps and I hope so but I know that it is hard as heck to replace a guy like Delaney at this level.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2017, 02:54 PM
The smaller SoCon schools generally have limited, or no, post-graduate programs, making it hard to retain graduating athletes, especially with the graduate transfer rule.

Wofford is losing last years initial starting QB to Law School and our all-star kicker to UGA.

Al Cobb isn't coming back to VMI.

I don't know the motivation of Mr. Delany. If his goal is to play in the NFL, that will be determined in the NFL camps. The recruiters know how to recognize talent in any division. Maybe he just wants to live a year in Miami, or just play on a bigger stage.

The buzz is that Delaney does want the NFL and that agents and his uncle have gotten in his ear and told him that going FBS is going to push him in the top 2 rounds. He considers himself a 4-5 projection right now and feels like he needs to move up to get much higher. I'm also hearing he felt he did all he can in FCS and was worried teams would throw away from him and he would have a 1-2 INT type season at best, which he is worried may hurt his stock. I don't know if that is all true but some of that is what I'm told the thinking is for him and his uncle, who is his main guardian I'm told.

citdog
February 28th, 2017, 03:00 PM
I expect The Citadel to be good but if the rumors people are talking about are really true I wonder if more is going on that will hurt you guys in the future. Honestly, if you look at GSU and App in FBS it is apparent neither team really cared or focused on their final SoCon seasons. It was sad to see powers go out the way they did but the SoCon slapped them around a little bit and now they are clearly happy going to bowls where they are. App lost a big time CB to grades and replaced him with a freshman All-American. It is harder to do that in FCS. Will you guys have a CB who can step in and be an all-conference player for you right away? Perhaps and I hope so but I know that it is hard as heck to replace a guy like Delaney at this level.

You are right there was an awful lot of "not caring" in your stadium when we were up 38-0 the NEXT to last year y'all were a relevant team.

citdog
February 28th, 2017, 03:02 PM
I expect The Citadel to be good but if the rumors people are talking about are really true I wonder if more is going on that will hurt you guys in the future..

What rumors are those? Kids coming in and graduating in 4 years??

Bucs2016
February 28th, 2017, 06:39 PM
You are full of ****. The only one hearing any grumblings is you when you talk to yourself. Just like Pinson Dee was here for 4 years and will leave with a degree. I wish him the best.

You're in Montana, not Charleston. Several Citadel alum go to my gym. One has a son on the team. People talk. In short...they liked Coach Houston. But dont like how things are being run now.

You dont just see 2 FCS All Americans on the same team give up their final season of eligibility to pursue....well....a HUGE unknown.

Sorry bro. Its true. Things are taking a downturn at Citadel soon.

ElCid
February 28th, 2017, 11:51 PM
You're in Montana, not Charleston. Several Citadel alum go to my gym. One has a son on the team. People talk. In short...they liked Coach Houston. But dont like how things are being run now.

You dont just see 2 FCS All Americans on the same team give up their final season of eligibility to pursue....well....a HUGE unknown.

Sorry bro. Its true. Things are taking a downturn at Citadel soon.

Really? Why not. They are smart young men. They got their ring and diploma...they may not have wanted to work on their masters at The Citadel (one is not even going to pursue at all)...they may simply be pursuing their vision to pursue a path toward the NFL. If they had left prior to getting their diplomas, I might see it, but these bubbas got their diplomas in 4 years. Pretty nifty idea. The bottom line is, there is nothing to see here, regardless of "gym talk."

Bucs2016
March 1st, 2017, 12:24 AM
Really? Why not. They are smart young men. They got their ring and diploma...they may not have wanted to work on their masters at The Citadel (one is not even going to pursue at all)...they may simply be pursuing their vision to pursue a path toward the NFL. If they had left prior to getting their diplomas, I might see it, but these bubbas got their diplomas in 4 years. Pretty nifty idea. The bottom line is, there is nothing to see here, regardless of "gym talk."

Well...that bond amongst college football teammates is incredibly strong. Leaving early as a projected draft pick...sure. But leaving early with 1 season left...for a VERY uncertain chance??? Very odd.

These guys are NFL prospects. And next season they would've faced #1 Clemson. That game film would be their NFL job application.

Getting their degree is fantastic. But to play in 2017 they'd only need to enroll in the fall...and not much else. Wouldnt matter what the subject or even how they did. I could see the OT wanting to transfer to a pro style offense since his film is mostly triple option. But hes not. And Delany is leaving and has to learn and entirely new defense and hope he fits in or even wins starting job (i think he will).

Something is up for both to make this decision without any real certainty of it paying off.

Last year some FBS teams tried to get Coastal RB Deangelo Henderson to leave (USC was one I believe). He didnt. Mel Kiper has him rated as a high RB pick for this draft.

Bisonoline
March 1st, 2017, 12:52 AM
Well...that bond amongst college football teammates is incredibly strong. Leaving early as a projected draft pick...sure. But leaving early with 1 season left...for a VERY uncertain chance??? Very odd.

These guys are NFL prospects. And next season they would've faced #1 Clemson. That game film would be their NFL job application.

Getting their degree is fantastic. But to play in 2017 they'd only need to enroll in the fall...and not much else. Wouldnt matter what the subject or even how they did. I could see the OT wanting to transfer to a pro style offense since his film is mostly triple option. But hes not. And Delany is leaving and has to learn and entirely new defense and hope he fits in or even wins starting job (i think he will).

Something is up for both to make this decision without any real certainty of it paying off.

Last year some FBS teams tried to get Coastal RB Deangelo Henderson to leave (USC was one I believe). He didnt. Mel Kiper has him rated as a high RB pick for this draft.

Nothing HAS to be up unless you want it to be. If playing another year wont increase their draft stock there isnt any reason not to leave. You can bet they have already consulted with people in the know on that subject.

Bisonoline
March 1st, 2017, 12:54 AM

Dude is just trying to push buttons. Its been his MO since he got here.

ElCid
March 1st, 2017, 08:09 AM

I am sorry, but this would not be something that these All Americans would do. Maybe some players at some schools might do it, but not these two. If they stayed, they would do it right and give all of their efforts both on and off the field.

And of course their future is uncertain. Does not mean that they sit back and do the safe thing. They are reaching for their next golden ring and I applaud them for it. Because they are not doing it how some people would do it is irrelevant.

Also, here is a letter from DD to The Citadel Community.

http://citadelsports.com/news/2017/2/28/football-letter-to-the-citadel-community-from-dee-delaney.aspx?path=football

smallcollegefbfan
March 1st, 2017, 08:16 AM

I don't know that something is wrong at The Citadel but I do know the decision by the OL is a bit weird. I'm told he is 6'1 1/2, 273 pounds and that is just too small to play in the NFL or CFL. I don't know if they had their junior pro day yet but I have been told by NFL teams the OL is not a NFL prospect.

Delaney is more of a 6th-7th round or PFA type player in the eyes of the scouts I have spoken with. I think Delaney's decision is smart for several reasons. Instead of just 1 big game he will now have about 10, he should get tested a lot more as ACC QBs aren't going to be intimidated by his SoCon awards, and he will be at a program that gets very strong looks at their DBs due to past history. This move will be huge since some scouts want to move him to FS because he looks like a 4.6 guy on the field but a big season at CB there would quiet those projections to make him move.

I do know his uncle is pushing this because he thinks this is the only way to get Dee drafted high and while that is not true because he could be a top 100 pick out of the SoCon (look at Bradberry from Samford recently) I do believe this move could be huge for him. Good luck to Dee because he is a good kid and a very good player.

ElCid
March 1st, 2017, 08:26 AM
I don't know that something is wrong at The Citadel but I do know the decision by the OL is a bit weird. I'm told he is 6'1 1/2, 273 pounds and that is just too small to play in the NFL or CFL. I don't know if they had their junior pro day yet but I have been told by NFL teams the OL is not a NFL prospect.

6'3" listed on this year's roster and last's years. Fudged? Don't know. I think part of the problem is that he wants to bulk up a bit so maybe that will help. He apparently is not going to go to school so maybe he will concentrate on that without the stress of a season or academics.

walliver
March 1st, 2017, 08:49 AM
I was a grad transfer. For me I wanted to go out and play on the highest level and prove myself. You get one shot at this and once it's gone, it's gone! I didn't want to ever have to think about "what if". My one year at Mississippi State was an amazing year that I'll NEVER forget. I played in some amazing venues, in some amazing environments, got some nice upset wins against Alabama, Auburn, and Kentucky, help lead the team to it's first bowl win in 7 years, and was able to make the All-SEC 2nd team. I would tell any kid to think long and hard before making that move but if it's something deep down you feel like you want to do, then do it. Like I said, you get ONE shot at this.There's such a thing as an upset win over Kentucky in football?

Anthony215
March 1st, 2017, 09:10 AM
I can't fault Delaney for wanting to test his skills at the highest level. As mentioned previously why showcase your skills in 1 big time game when you can play against the likes of Clemson, FSU, UNC, V-Tech & Notre Dame on national television. Most importantly he has his degree in hand so if this move backfires and he doesn't enhance his draft status at worst he'll get some camp invite interest but in the best case scenario he plays himself from a Day 3 selection to a Day 2 selection.

As far as the OL, maybe football at the collegiate level began to bore him. He definitely needs to add 30 pounds while keeping his stamina and speed to have a legit shot at a camp invite for the NFL or CFL as I can't think of any lineman who weigh under 300lbs now days entering the leagues. Arena Leagues will take him without a doubt but remember their OL also play DL and the AFL is down to 6 teams for this upcoming season (probably their last year of existence unless they merge with another league like the IFL which is now live streamed on youtube).

Cocky
March 1st, 2017, 09:46 AM
You should go to school where ever you want. If the school will accept you and its your desire to go, then go.

Players should be able to move every year without penalty.

smallcollegefbfan
March 1st, 2017, 09:52 AM
6'3" listed on this year's roster and last's years. Fudged? Don't know. I think part of the problem is that he wants to bulk up a bit so maybe that will help. He apparently is not going to go to school so maybe he will concentrate on that without the stress of a season or academics.

Many times players are shorter than their school lists them and I have talked to some personnel who have seen him and said he is between 6'1 1/2 and 6'2. Diggs is listed at 6'1 but measured at 5'11 1/4 for scouts last spring. Tevin Floyd is listed at 6'1 but measured at 5'11 1/2. Renew is listed at 5'11 and measured at 5'11. Maybe he comes in real close to listed height but just from those examples there is a chance he does not. I talked to someone who has seen him in person and they said he looked just under 6'2. It will be interesting to see what he is.

As for his weight if he truly is 273 range now he does need to bulk up and I hope he does. I'll be interested to see what he measures if workout results leak out.

walliver
March 1st, 2017, 10:21 AM
You should go to school where ever you want. If the school will accept you and its your desire to go, then go.

Players should be able to move every year without penalty.

Such a rule would decimate FCS, and probably the G5. The Clemson's and Alabama's would cut back on high school recruits and concentrate their scholarship efforts on Sophomores and Juniors who have paid their dues in the "minor leagues". No need to waste a scholarship on a redshirt or bench player unless it is a Deondre Francois or Deshaum Watson-type athlete. Most FCS programs would find themselves in the same sphere as JuCos. If an underclassman has a breakout season, he's long gone before next year.

smallcollegefbfan
March 1st, 2017, 10:33 AM
Such a rule would decimate FCS, and probably the G5. The Clemson's and Alabama's would cut back on high school recruits and concentrate their scholarship efforts on Sophomores and Juniors who have paid their dues in the "minor leagues". No need to waste a scholarship on a redshirt or bench player unless it is a Deondre Francois or Deshaum Watson-type athlete. Most FCS programs would find themselves in the same sphere as JuCos. If an underclassman has a breakout season, he's long gone before next year.

It would create more free agency than you see in the NFL and total mayhem in college athletics. I could see P5 programs only signing 10-12 high school players a year, at most, and then using FCS and G5 schools as a prep school or JC for them to then pluck players. You probably would not see more than 3-4 underclassmen All-Americans return.

It has not been picked up by the media but the freshman CB from Gardner-Webb who had a big year has left for South Carolina I'm told as well. I heard he made that decision back in December.

PaladinFan
March 1st, 2017, 11:54 AM
Sad to see good players leave the SoCon.

From a Furman fan's perspective, I will help them pack. Delaney darn near beat us single handedly last season.

Anthony215
March 1st, 2017, 12:15 PM
I agree that players should not be free to leave without sitting out a year in most instances. However if a coach leaves or is fired I believe the players on scholarship should be able to at that point transfer without prejudice/restrictions and be eligible immediately at their new institution. The grad school rule is great IMO because it gives guys who may have been under-recruited and overlooked in high school 3 years to succeed at their initial school and 1 year at a higher level program to compete against the best. A good friend of mine who I went to high school and college with had the option to stay at our D2 school for his last 2 years or move up to at that time a Big East Football Program. He choose to stay at the D2 school and went undrafted and ended up earning a mini camp tryout which got him a roster spot for training camp. Years later he is a 4 time Pro Bowler, earned over 20 million bucks but I'm sure he wonders if his path would have been easier if he took that transfer up option and possibly gotten drafted.

ASU33
March 1st, 2017, 01:17 PM
There's such a thing as an upset win over Kentucky in football?

Kentucky was ranked 14th when we beat them and had a win over eventual National Championship winner LSU under their belts. So yeah it was an upset.

Bucs2016
March 1st, 2017, 01:41 PM

Not true. I only try to push one button. Im extremely humble for everyone else : )

Cocky
March 1st, 2017, 01:45 PM
Free country so move as you want. FCS, G5 and everyone else will find players. Do something to entice them to stay.

Sandlapper Spike
March 1st, 2017, 06:33 PM

Maybe you should worry about your own team. You don't have to worry about whether or not coaches are getting along with "personalities", since most of your coaches left.

Thumper 76
March 1st, 2017, 06:55 PM
Free country so move as you want. FCS, G5 and everyone else will find players. Do something to entice them to stay.

Shocker that the school known for transfers thinks this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cocky
March 1st, 2017, 07:16 PM
Shocker that the school known for transfers thinks this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just lost an All American to Auburn.

Bucs2016
March 1st, 2017, 07:47 PM
Maybe you should worry about your own team. You don't have to worry about whether or not coaches are getting along with "personalities", since most of your coaches left.

Well...our coaches got a promotion to larger, better programs. Thats positive change. Our All Americans stayed loyal to CSU and play their final year in blue & gold.

smallcollegefbfan
March 1st, 2017, 11:12 PM
We just lost an All American to Auburn.

Which player?

Cocky
March 2nd, 2017, 06:55 AM
Which player?

Center Casey Dunn

smallcollegefbfan
March 2nd, 2017, 08:22 AM
Well...our coaches got a promotion to larger, better programs. Thats positive change. Our All Americans stayed loyal to CSU and play their final year in blue & gold.

I almost typed exactly what I know but let's just say you guys have some turmoil going on that pushed Jamey out the door faster. There was some conflicts going on that honestly is all about ego and power of those above Jamey that were jealous of his success. The fact they were wanting to take away funding and resources because they did not think CSU should win as much as they were with what they had is a bad attitude. I fully expect CSU to take a step back and not be a regular playoff team. You lost a great head coach and CCU got a lot stronger with the move.

smallcollegefbfan
March 2nd, 2017, 08:24 AM
Center Casey Dunn

I had him listed as a senior. I missed that release from Auburn. Good pickup for them. Hopefully he starts.

walliver
March 2nd, 2017, 09:17 AM
The Citadel is getting a transfer from UConn, Jalen Stevens from Goose Creek. I think it will still be a drop-off from what they are losing.

ElCid
March 2nd, 2017, 09:26 AM
The Citadel is getting a transfer from UConn, Jalen Stevens from Goose Creek. I think it will still be a drop-off from what they are losing.

Looks like he only had token playing time at UConn. Hopefully this young man, from the local area, has built up a big appetite and he makes an impact.

Bucs2016
March 2nd, 2017, 12:48 PM
I almost typed exactly what I know but let's just say you guys have some turmoil going on that pushed Jamey out the door faster. There was some conflicts going on that honestly is all about ego and power of those above Jamey that were jealous of his success. The fact they were wanting to take away funding and resources because they did not think CSU should win as much as they were with what they had is a bad attitude. I fully expect CSU to take a step back and not be a regular playoff team. You lost a great head coach and CCU got a lot stronger with the move.

Thats been the culture of CSU football vs CSU admin for 30 years. Not a new development at all. The guys "across the street" havent liked football for a long time. But...thats VERY common at many universities in America. And like many of those...the team has found ways to win anyway (apparently 18 yr old recruits like the idea of playing college football near the beach in one of the best college cities in America).

CSU football has been on a slow but steady upward trajectory since its founding in 1991. I admit...we probably hit our ceiling the last 2 years without some new major investment for stadium/facilities. But what we offer that got us here remains and isnt changing. We'll have ups and downs like all teams but theres no reason we cannot remain a Big South contender most years and probably win the league once or twice every 5 years.

Many people dont understand what a HUGE piece of the puzzls Coach Tucker was over the last few seasons. He is an option defense genius. For 10 years he was a consultant who was paid by opponents of Ga Tech, Navy, etc, to come in and help shape defensive strategy. And hes a great QB coach. He just happens to be a born & raised Charleston native and wants to live in his home forever now. He was a big part of playoff teams in the 90s at East Tennessee St (where he coached Chadwell) and at Citadel.

New staff is shaping up nicely. Hes bringing in some guys from the MAC and Sun Belt with great recruiting accolades.

Bucs2016
March 2nd, 2017, 12:50 PM
Looks like he only had token playing time at UConn. Hopefully this young man, from the local area, has built up a big appetite and he makes an impact.

I remember him playing at "Tha Creek". Hes a good one.

FUBeAR
March 2nd, 2017, 02:20 PM
Hes bringing in some guys from the MAC and Sun Belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1me3GWanHKg

Bucs2016
March 3rd, 2017, 11:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1me3GWanHKg

The MAC and Sun Belt are much higher prestige and competition than the Big South, obviously. We know our place.

The new secondary coach is outstanding. He was the DC at SC State in those late 00s early 10s teams that sent 8 defenders to the NFL and damn near ended on of those App State playoff runs. Im very very pleased with that hire.

The new D line coach was an All SEC player at Ole Miss and former NFL player who has spent time being mentored by David Cutcliff at Duke. From what ive heard hes a rising star in coaching and we wont have him long.

FUBeAR
March 3rd, 2017, 02:39 PM
The MAC and Sun Belt are much higher prestige and competition than the Big South, obviously.

Not in my eyes. Some of the sloppiest, most poorly Coached Teams I have ever seen take the field have had MAC and Sun Belt logos on their jerseys. I can't stand to watch their games, for the most part.

Bucs2016
March 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM
Not in my eyes. Some of the sloppiest, most poorly Coached Teams I have ever seen take the field have had MAC and Sun Belt logos on their jerseys. I can't stand to watch their games, for the most part.

Meh. I disagree. The MAC is a cradle of incredible coaching trees. Sun Belt..still better than the Big South. Unquestionably better talent on the field. Xs and Os coaching...I think so. The best coach in the Big South the last 4 years is now a Sun Belt assistant.

I care a lot more about recruiting though. You can take an above average high school coach but give him a staff of elite recruiters at the college level and he can be an 8/9 win guy in FCS.