10/13 ... TBD ... - Open
10/20 ... TBD ... - @ Charleston Southern
10/27 ... TBD ... - Prebyterian
11/03 ...TBD ... - Coastal Carolina
11/10 ... TBD ... - VMI
11/17 ... TBD ... - @ Gardner-Webb

ngineer
January 22nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
We'll be seeing in '08 for our home opener.;)

appfan2008
January 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
I have a feeling our schedule looks a lot like that with open dates that is

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Liberty can come to Huntsville, TX that first week of the season...

I know it's not ideal for the Flames, but I'd love to see a Big South squad play the Kats!

gvilleapp
January 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I would not be at all surprised to see App play a Home and Home with Liberty. We're going to have a struggle getting games and Liberty has never backed away from playing us. I could see us at your place in '07 and you returning the date in '08. I think at this point we must still be searching for a BC$ money opponent before we lock in with any PCS or DII teams.

SuperJon
January 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Gvilleapp, I have thought the same exact thing about you guys. No one at LU will believe me though.

As much as the game in Texas sounds, I don't like it because I'm planning on going to all 11 games and couldn't make a game in Texas.

I didn't know we were opening with Lehigh in 08. That's awesome.

slostang
January 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Have your AD contact the AD at Cal Poly. Poly is having a hard time filling their schedule. I know that Cal Poly has made a trip to Liberty (1997 I think). Maybe they could put together a home and home.

SuperJon
January 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Dang it. These are games I can't get to. Yes, I'm selfish.

SuperJon
January 22nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'm just scared we're gonna add some cupcake. I pray to God we don't. With our current schedule, we've got a great shot at going 7-1. It depends on our last two games how good we do.

Lionsrking
January 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
We just had our DII opener back out. Here's our schedule so far:

09/01 ... TBD - Open
09/08 ... TBD ... - Open
09/15 ... 7pm - @ William & Mary
09/22 ... TBD ... - @ Elon
09/29 ... TBD ... - Open
10/06 ... 7pm ... - @ Toledo
10/13 ... TBD ... - Open
11/10 ... TBD ... - VMI

Not sure if our schedule is done yet but call Kim Graham. Maybe we have a slot still open on one of those dates.

JackJD
January 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Pick an open weekend and double schedule ... with one of the teams being a Montana team. Montana will then cancel and pay you a cancellation fee and you can play the other game. $$$ and a game!

SuperJon
January 22nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Not sure if our schedule is done yet but call Kim Graham. Maybe we have a slot still open on one of those dates.

You know Kim Graham is a former LU AD, right? I used to work with his son, who's now working there too, I think. I know Chad's down in that area.

Sly Fox
January 22nd, 2007, 11:58 PM

You have no idea how funny that statement is to Liberty folks. xlolx

Selfishly I'd love to have the Flames make a roadie to Sam, but I don't see it happening. We appear to have filled the '07 opener with another DII.

SuperJon
January 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Sly, the North Greenville game is the Oct 13 date, not the opener.

89Hen
January 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
With our current schedule, we've got a great shot at going 7-1. It depends on our last two games how good we do.

No offense, but that's a little optimistic, isn't it? You are a combined 1-8 vs. W&M, CCU and G-W in the last three years with the only win being G-W three years ago. I know you were very close last year to beating all three, but I'm not sure I agree with "great shot". :twocents:

SuperJon
January 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
No offense either, but you don't know what we have returning and coming in in terms of transfers.

We're looking at 3-4 UVA transfers this semester (including an OL that started every game in 05), Vince Redd becomes eligible, and there have been very strong rumors of VT and UVA guys coming in this summer.

Coach Rocco recruited all of the guys to UVA, and probably tried to recruit a lot of the VT guys. They know him, they respect him, and if they're not happy where they're at, they want to play for him.

We also have had a recruit choose us over the likes of Kansas, Akron, Florida Atlantic, Ball State and Miami (Ohio). Texas Tech and Baylor were also showing interest in him. There was another that was getting interest (albeit "light") from NC State. We've recruited guys over JMU and other in-state schools.

Coach Rocco is different than Karcher. He knows what he's doing on the field, recruiting, and everything else.

Sly Fox
January 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
89Hen - If we can't be overly optimistic in January, then when can we ever?

SuperJon
January 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Toledo is what I think the loss will be. Of the other three, we lost by a combined 7 points with the entire team being underclassmen. We return all but 3-4 starters.

I'm not saying we WILL go 7-1 against the teams we have currently, I'm just saying we have a great shot at it.

rokamortis
January 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
No offense either, but you don't know what we have returning and coming in in terms of transfers.

You guys say the same stuff every year. Look at what we have coming in, look at who is coming back, this year is the year for Liberty.

Looks like rocco doesn't mind getting the mercenaries AKA I-A rejects .... it will be interesting to see if this has a positive effect on your team next year.

SuperJon
January 23rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Are you kidding about the I-A rejects? Every kid that is from SC or at USC or Clemson that decides to transfer is put on CoastalFans as possible transfer material. These guys that are coming have played for Rocco. Many don't like Al Groh, and have come to play for a coach they like. It's not our fault we have a former FBS coach that has ties all across the state of Virginia.

In the past, people have said "This is the year for Liberty" but there was an incompetent coach. This coach knows what he's doing.

rokamortis
January 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Are you kidding about the I-A rejects? Every kid that is from SC or at USC or Clemson that decides to transfer is put on CoastalFans as possible transfer material.

There is a little difference there jon. It is one thing for fans to bring up a possible transfer, but Rocco actually brings in multiple every year. How many did he bring in last year and how many do you think he'll bring in this year?

rokamortis
January 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
In the past, people have said "This is the year for Liberty" but there was an incompetent coach. This coach knows what he's doing.

They said it last year too.

SuperJon
January 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
He had a 5-win improvement. Is he supposed to go from 1 wins to 10 in a year?

As for last year, we had 4, and one was simply because his dad was unhealthy and he wanted to be closer to home. Jennings had no intentions of coming to Liberty until Coach Rocco got here. He had made every effort to go to UVA but Wandstedt (sp?) wouldn't let him out of his scholarship at Pitt to go to UVA, so he came here. Thankfully I think he dad's health is getting better.

Don't tell me that Bennett wouldn't accept transfers if they were interested in coming to Coastal. If he thought it would help the team, he would do it. We all know that.

I've been apprehensive about all of the transfers we've gotten. I've said it on FlameFans multiple times that I do not want to become Transfer U. However, these guys want to play for our coach. Once the guys that Rocco recruited to UVA graduate, that pipeline will dry up. The ones we're getting now are ones that knew him. It's not like we're getting random guys from across the country. We're also an hour away from UVA and an hour and a half from VT so it's easy for the guys to make the transfer.

RabidRabbit
January 23rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Know that Cal Poly and NDSU both have those Sept dates still available. Would be nice to get a Big South vs. GWFC games in. NDSU is real nice in Sept. :D

rokamortis
January 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
He had a 5-win improvement. Is he supposed to go from 1 wins to 10 in a year?

As for last year, we had 4, and one was simply because his dad was unhealthy and he wanted to be closer to home. Jennings had no intentions of coming to Liberty until Coach Rocco got here. He had made every effort to go to UVA but Wandstedt (sp?) wouldn't let him out of his scholarship at Pitt to go to UVA, so he came here. Thankfully I think he dad's health is getting better.

Don't tell me that Bennett wouldn't accept transfers if they were interested in coming to Coastal. If he thought it would help the team, he would do it. We all know that.

I've been apprehensive about all of the transfers we've gotten. I've said it on FlameFans multiple times that I do not want to become Transfer U. However, these guys want to play for our coach. Once the guys that Rocco recruited to UVA graduate, that pipeline will dry up. The ones we're getting now are ones that knew him. It's not like we're getting random guys from across the country. We're also an hour away from UVA and an hour and a half from VT so it's easy for the guys to make the transfer.

Point 1: I'm just repeating what a lot of your fans were saying. They thought Rocco was going to do better than he did, do you disagree?

Point 2: Do you really think that the pipeline will dry up in a couple of years? It may, but it appears that Rocco is taking any and every transfer he can get his hands on.

As far as Coastal goes, I'm sure Bennett would be happy to take a couple of impact transfers once in awhile - but I've also heard that he trys to stay away from them as well. His theory is that you should build from the ground up with freshman, not JuCo or I-A transfers.

Lionsrking
January 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
You know Kim Graham is a former LU AD, right? I used to work with his son, who's now working there too, I think. I know Chad's down in that area.

Yes, I knew that. That's why I said to call him.

Lionsrking
January 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Sly Fox]You have no idea how funny that statement is to Liberty folks. xlolx

[QUOTE]

Why is that funny? Kim's a great guy who's doing a super job here at Southeastern.

SuperJon
January 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Point 1) I said from the beginning last year that I thought we would be a 6-5 team, 7-4 at best. I'll find the posts if you would like. Some LU fans expected us to win 9 games and they were crazy. It takes time to build a program. I fully believe with the facilities we have and as good of a coach as Rocco is, we will be at the 8-9 win level soon. It's possible this year. It'll be hard, but I still think we have a very good chance of it, depending on the final two teams we schedule, if we stay healthy, and all of those other things that go into a season.

Point 2) I really do think the pipeline will dry up. Rocco is taking all of these guys because he knows them and has coached them. The discipline issues came up before Vince Redd was admitted into the school. Coach Rocco personally vouched for him to Dr. Falwell and said he would be on his best behavior, and we've had no problems out of him since he's been here.

Also, going back to the transfers last year, 3 of the 4 transfers were from the Lynchburg area.

Finally, as for being I-A rejects, the OL that we just had transfer here started 11 games for UVA in 2005. He graduated from UVA in December and is using his final year of eligibility while getting his masters here at LU. Rashad Jennings was getting a good amount of touches at Pitt but wanted to be closer to his father. (By the way, I personally think Jennings was overhyped coming in as Zach Terrell was just as effective.) Sometimes kids transfer not because they can't hack it at the FBS level, but rather for a better oppurtunity.

BisonBacker
January 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Man there must be some real interesting phone calls going on with several teams looking to fill open dates. I don't envy the AD's who's job it is to put together the loose ends on scheduling this late. Our AD won't have any hair left pretty soon. Hey RabidRabbit your post was hilarious and your absolutely right on the money.

Sly Fox
January 23rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Why is that funny? Kim's a great guy who's doing a super job here at Southeastern.

Kim didn't leave Liberty of his own volition. He was summarily shown the door. As a result I wouldn't expect him to be doing the Flames any favors anytime soon.

And for the record, he always seemed like a great guy to me in my brief contacts with him.

And Rok, we had three transfers play last year. Vince is now eligible and will join two others who arrived for the spring semester. I hardly call that a tidal wave. There is talk we may have another player or two join us for the fall. But i have a feeling that will be predicated on how we do in February and the spring to see what scholies are available.

Do we set overly high expectations every year? There is no denying it. Will I stop anytime soon? Not a chance. Can't we just start the season tomorrow?

PAmedic
January 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I'd love to see Temple, Lehigh, 'Nova and the Blue Hens on our schedule every year. I'd even settle for 2 of them per year.

call me greedy. At least I could make those roadies. ;)

SuperJon
January 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
We just found out another game. It's Carson Newman.

Now we have two DIIs and a transitional school with one game left.

I'm not happy.

SuperJon
January 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
And that was my 600th post.

Lionsrking
January 29th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Kim didn't leave Liberty of his own volition. He was summarily shown the door. As a result I wouldn't expect him to be doing the Flames any favors anytime soon.

And for the record, he always seemed like a great guy to me in my brief contacts with him.

I've spoken with him several times and he's never had an ill word to say about Liberty or Lynchburg.

Sly Fox
January 29th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Glad to hear that, lionsrking. Sometimes we just make assumptions based on how things went down in the exit.

As for the schedule ... : smh :

RabidRabbit
January 29th, 2007, 05:34 PM
We just found out another game. It's Carson Newman.

Now we have two DIIs and a transitional school with one game left.

I'm not happy.

Bison,Bison BISON :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Show that you're up to play some tough games. Schedule NDSU!:hurray: :hurray:

SuperJon
January 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Dude, it's hard enough for a college kid to drive 9 hours to Toledo. How the heck am I gonna get to ND?

I'd hafta do some butt kicking and take Falwell One to the game.

ball21
January 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM
We just had our DII opener back out. Here's our schedule so far:

09/01 ... TBD - Open
09/08 ... TBD ... - Open
09/22 ... TBD ... - @ Elon
09/29 ... TBD ... - Open
10/13 ... TBD ... - Open
11/10 ... TBD ... - VMI

Since Liberty has an open date the first week and ASU does now too. Why don't we play each other!! I think the ASU faithful will show up and make it seem like just another home game for us..

Don't worry about the money that ASU wants, I am really sure you will make it back in tickets sells if you give us enough tickets...

GO APP

ball21
January 30th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Why doesn't Liberty play Appalachian State, since we both are looking to fill that some open weeks right now.. It doesn't matter the first or second week. Just schedule the game, make it happen !!

I am pretty sure the ASU will bring a lot of fans down and make some noise for the 2x National Champions. Don't worry about the money issue, but step up to the plate and play the game!

GO APP

89Hen
January 30th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Are you assuming that none of your opponents have possibly gotten better too?

Libertine
January 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I've spoken with him several times and he's never had an ill word to say about Liberty or Lynchburg.

That's Kim. You guys have a quality individual working for you down there in Hammond.

Sly Fox
January 30th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I know I'd love to see us schedule a home-and-home with Appy. But I have doubts that they are willing to travel to Lynchburg.

And while the 2x Nat'l champs do travel well, we would definitely have a strong homefield advantage if we played in our digs. Times have changed on our mountain since the last time we played each other.

ball21
January 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Hey Sly Fox,

Let's go the Home / Home series with you then! I think the ASU people would travel just fine like we did at the National Championship Game..
Lynchburg is not that far for us and we would like to show everyone down there what a real football team plays like!!

Your football stadium is nothing compared to us playing at LSU or NC State. Would you rather play ASU at the beginning of the year or face us at "The Rock" in December? Let me remind you, we do have the longest home winning streak in the country right now, and you could be our next victim...

IaaScribe
January 30th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Liberty doesn't want to open the season on the road against a quality FCS team. I wouldn't be surprised to see a third DII school on the schedule.

SuperJon
January 30th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Are you assuming that none of your opponents have possibly gotten better too?

I'm sure some have gotten transfers, but the Big South schools haven't.

Ball21,
There's no reason for smack. We know how good App is. I have a ton of friends at App. We filled our stadium up great last year and I have no doubt that if we were to play App we'd be insanely over capacity. We want to get to App's level, everyone does. Everyone at LU has nothing but respect for what App has done the past two years.

I pray to God we don't get a 3rd DII. We're not Charleston Southern.

rokamortis
January 30th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I'm sure some have gotten transfers, but the Big South schools haven't.

Are you saying schools can't get better without transfers?

SuperJon
January 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
No, I'm not. He quoted me on the transfers, so that's the way I slanted my response.

Sly Fox
January 30th, 2007, 11:24 PM
You never miss a beat, rok. :smiley_wi

I'll let your former Chant compadre handle this one.

And ball21, the last time you guys came to Lynchburg are attendance was atrocious. I was just pointing out that we are nearly filling our place right now playing the St. Pauls of the world. So we would certainly turn out for your guys. So you wouldn't be able to roll up to our place and own it like its your own like at some venues currently on your schedule. That's not intended as smack to ASU but an update on the different atmosphere in Lynchburg recently.

rokamortis
January 31st, 2007, 06:03 AM
No, I'm not. He quoted me on the transfers, so that's the way I slanted my response.

He responded to your statement on what you have returning AND transfers and simply asked if your opponents can't get better. You specifically said transfers, so that's why I asked.

SuperJon
January 31st, 2007, 06:47 AM
I was in a rush because I had to get somewhere right after I posted. I just skimmed what he said. I missed the fact that he quoted both. All I saw when I skimmed it was transfers, so I went with that.

bjtheflamesfan
February 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
I personally would not have an aversion to seeing App ST. come here. I went to the game in 2002 as a matter of fact. I also wouldn't mind if we made a trip to Hampton (call me a bit slanted since I live about 30 minutes from there) and played the Pirates (Id have to see if they share any open dates with us though).