PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Football Feasibility Study Released

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Here's a fun read!

CORPUS CHRISTI - The decision on whether football has a future at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi now rests with University leaders who have additional study ahead of them.

The anticipated report on the feasibility of adding football to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi's intercollegiate athletics program was delivered recently to campus officials by Indianapolis-based NACDA Consulting. The report outlines the physical and financial requirements and expectations for having an intercollegiate football program.

http://www.goislanders.com/pdf1/59034.pdf?ATCLID=750920&SPID=6601&DB_OEM_ID=14100&SPSID=60120

BigApp
January 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
Interesting:

"TAMUCC is in a great position to capitalize upon what football can do for the University and the Corpus Christi Community, but it does not currently have the culture, or infrastructure in place to do so in the University or the Athletics Department. The Timetable of 2010 is appropriate as the University hopes to have a critical number of students totaling 10,000 at that time, and in the meantime the University and the Athletics Department can take the required steps to be prepared to accommodate the current sports in such a manner that it is clear they are ready to take on the challenge of Division I football."

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
TAMU-CC has all the potential to be competitive in the SLC. If they come in strong and don't make mistakes when they start bringing football (and womens' soccer) on board, they'll be fine...

TAMU-CC study mentions no second womens' sport. That's good for them as that could cause problems as the sport they lack from the SLC sports are womens' soccer and mens' golf...

BigApp
January 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
I think they should start by streamlining the school's name. University of Corpus Christi or something. :twocents:

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
I think they should start by streamlining the school's name. University of Corpus Christi or something. :twocents:

Not going to happen...

A&M-CC is as good as it gets. Texas A&M won't let them toss the A&M...

Sly Fox
January 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Its funny you should mention it. A&M-CC began as a private school caleld the University of Corpus Christi. When they were given to the state they changed their name to Corpus Christi State. Then along came a blowhard state senator named Carlos Truan who forced the A&M moniker on both A&I and CCSU. I've always thought it made them sound like night schools.

Most people I know refer to them as Corpus regardless of the full name of the school.

BTW I believe they could be just like Coastal Carolina in luring talent based on their terrific location. It wouldn't take long at all for them to be a real player int he Southland if they make the right hires.

DFW HOYA
January 23rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Its funny you should mention it. A&M-CC began as a private school caleld the University of Corpus Christi. When they were given to the state they changed their name to Corpus Christi State. Then along came a blowhard state senator named Carlos Truan who forced the A&M moniker on both A&I and CCSU. I've always thought it made them sound like night schools.

This affected a number of schools who now sound like junior colleges.
East Texas State is now Texas A&M-Commerce, West Texas State is West Texas A&M, and A&I is now Texas A&M-Kingsville.

Of course, none are the real Texas A&M, so they should have left the names as is.

NoCoDanny
January 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
I agree, those names are goofy, however nothing tops those IUPUI and IUPUFW abominations out of Indiana.

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
One poster on KatFans.com, Bearkat21 posted the following...

This jumped out to me in the report:

Athletic Department - The feedback from the athletic department staff was overwhelmingly opposed to football until issues regarding a lack of staffing, facilities, and scholarships were addressed.

Hard to do this with out the support of the athletic department.

MplsBison
January 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Not going to happen...

A&M-CC is as good as it gets. Texas A&M won't let them toss the A&M...

Then leave the A&M system.

Sly Fox
January 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
That's not a choice made on the university level unless you turn off the state-funding faucet. Some politicians forced it down the throats of these schools. Some scholls were even pushed from the UT system tot he A&M system against their wishes. But that is politics.

I've heard similar rumblings about the Islanders current situation. Some are wondering why spend all this money for a startup football program when the funding for the current sports are not getting what they need. But what these other sports' coaches don't seem to understand is that football along with Ronnie Arrow's bunch are what generate ineterest in the community toward donations. The mens hoops team has certainly caught the imagination of the Corpus community and a football team would do just the same. I mean look at Kingsville and they have traditionally drawn fairly well for a DII 45 minutes from town. Just think what an in town I_FCS team could do.

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Then leave the A&M system.

No leaving the systems...

It would be a mess waiting to occur...

The state of Texas is actually looking at consolidating the systems and push free-standers like SFA, TxSouthern, Texas Womens and Midwestern St into systems. SFA is a former member of the Texas State University System which includes Lamar, Texas St Univ - San Marcos and Sam Houston...