PDA

View Full Version : SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

youcanbankit
February 9th, 2017, 06:36 PM
7 reasons Samford will win the SOCON in 2017.....

1. Best Coaching staff in the conference.
2. Best Quarterback's in the conference. Threw for 4000 yards last year.
3. Best Offense in the conference and will play more balanced this year.
4. Offensive line will be young but seriously upgraded in 2017. (6-6, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7)
5. Defense improves to be the #2 defense in the SoCon.
6. Best Punter in the SoCon.
7. Special teams upgraded to rise to #3 in the SoCon.

FUBeAR
February 9th, 2017, 06:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ss_YQ_MmeI

youcanbankit
February 9th, 2017, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=FUBeAR;[/QUOTE]

Down goes Mercer - Samford Beats Mercer Again. 2015 and 2016

With the win, Samford improves to 7-3 overall and 5-2 in Southern Conference games. Samford wraps up its home schedule with a 5-0 record. This marks the first time Samford has gone undefeated at home since 1998.

"Wins are very difficult to come by, especially when you get to this point in the season," Samford head coach Chris Hatcher (http://samfordsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1139) said. "We did not play very well today. We made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. We didn't have a lot of energy.

Samford built a 21-0 lead in the first quarter and with players sick with the flu, hung on for the win.

Reason 8 - Samford plays FuBears teams this year.

(http://samfordsports.com/news/2016/11/12/-21-football-holds-on-for-24-19-win-over-mercer.aspx?path=football)

ElCid
February 9th, 2017, 09:04 PM

2. Best Quarterback in the conference. Through for 4000 yards last year.
4. Offensive line will be seriously upgraded in 2017. (6-6, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7)

Well that would be a change to be more balanced. I can almost laugh at Samford's rushing game this past year, about as hard as I laugh at my own Bulldog's passing attack. We are each a bit lopsided (although both quite successful as well) in our offensive attack.

Let's look at the numbers. While averaging about 350 a game through the air, Samford finished with 96.8 yards rushing per game. Even if you take the sack yardage into account, which was only about 14 yards per games, that is pretty low. If you look at just the 10 FSC games Samford played that number drops to just 78 YPG rushing. In 5 of those games it was about 50 yards or less. I really do not understand why Hodges did not scramble more. When he did, like he did against us, he was fairly successful. Averaging about 350 YPG through the air is great but you all definitely need to pick up the running pace. If for nothing else, to give your D a longer break between scores. While Samford probably has one of the lowest average times in FCS for scoring drives (good), it was ranked dead last in all of FCS for TOP at 24:35 a game (bad). Probably cost you the game against ETSU where you possessed it for just 18 minutes. Hard to keep a defense fresh when it is on the field for 42 minutes. FYI, UTC is probably the FCS poster child for a balanced attack with them ending the season with 2682 yards rushing and 2681 yards passing. Not sure I ever saw one that close before.

On D, Samford will need to step up quite a bit to be #2 in the SOCON. They finished #7/9 in D for YPG at 421 about 210 against both the rush and pass. They finished #5/9 in scoring D at 27.2 PPG.

Not sure where you are getting best punter from unless you got a new one. Samford's Jr punter was ranked 4th in yardage behind only one senior. The others were a Jr and So this year.

citdog
February 9th, 2017, 11:48 PM
You lost me at #1. Hatcher is the same guy who took 2 years to figure out that Jayson Foster wasn't a wide receiver.

The SoCon now belongs to The Citadel. You are ALL looking up at the Cadets.

citdog
February 9th, 2017, 11:49 PM

I remember my first beer.

FUBeAR
February 9th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Samford will win the SOCON in 2017.....

Football

Season 2016-17

SoCon Football
SoCon
Overall

Team
Record
Streak
Record
Streak

4th Place - Samford
5-3
L1
7-5
L2

Sat, Oct. 29, 2016
LOSS - gave up 56 points

Sat, Nov. 5, 2016
LOSS - gave up 37 points

Sat, Nov. 19, 2016
LOSS - to 7th place SoCon Team in their 1st year in the SoCon and 2nd year of existence

Sat, Nov. 26, 2016
LOSS - gave up 38 points

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Et8YrJSokFk/UVoNmnnVGlI/AAAAAAAABEA/MEgl9sQH5nU/s1600/You're+on+a+Roll.png

youcanbankit
February 10th, 2017, 05:22 AM
Well that would be a change to be more balanced. I can almost laugh at Samford's rushing game this past year, about as hard as I laugh at my own Bulldog's passing attack. We are each a bit lopsided (although both quite successful as well) in our offensive attack.

Let's look at the numbers. While averaging about 350 a game through the air, Samford finished with 96.8 yards rushing per game. Even if you take the sack yardage into account, which was only about 14 yards per games, that is pretty low. If you look at just the 10 FSC games Samford played that number drops to just 78 YPG rushing. In 5 of those games it was about 50 yards or less. I really do not understand why Hodges did not scramble more. When he did, like he did against us, he was fairly successful. Averaging about 350 YPG through the air is great but you all definitely need to pick up the running pace. If for nothing else, to give your D a longer break between scores. While Samford probably has one of the lowest average times in FCS for scoring drives (good), it was ranked dead last in all of FCS for TOP at 24:35 a game (bad). Probably cost you the game against ETSU where you possessed it for just 18 minutes. Hard to keep a defense fresh when it is on the field for 42 minutes. FYI, UTC is probably the FCS poster child for a balanced attack with them ending the season with 2682 yards rushing and 2681 yards passing. Not sure I ever saw one that close before.

On D, Samford will need to step up quite a bit to be #2 in the SOCON. They finished #7/9 in D for YPG at 421 about 210 against both the rush and pass. They finished #5/9 in scoring D at 27.2 PPG.

Not sure where you are getting best punter from unless you got a new one. Samford's Jr punter was ranked 4th in yardage behind only one senior. The others were a Jr and So this year.

Good analysis by the way. A couple of comments, the air offense is returning a strong group, so look for them to contend again nationally thru the air. The rushing attack will change. Coaches took over and had to use the skill sets on the team to compete. The OLINE is one of them. You will see a bigger, faster, tougher Oline than you have seen at Samford in 30 years. Last years #33 center in nation, recent recruits the past 2 years, along with a Miami transfer will add size, speed and toughness to the Oline. Hiring University of Alabama's #2 strength coach and #2 nutritionist two years ago is proving itself. The pick up of two running backs this year, A JUCO transfer and Freshmen will add tremendous speed and bigger backs. Treyvon Paulk, transfer from Hutchinson JC ,signed with Tennessee. Look for him to make an immediate impact. Many more pick ups not listed brings this offense to the forefront in the conference. Not being able to run the ball last year impacted Time of Possession and the ability to put teams away. big difference this year.

On defense and special teams, the team has to continue to improve. However, they are improving. Great athletes picked up the past two years will add more speed and coverage for special teams and on defense. Key transfers on Dline and developing linebackers will show immediate results. Secondary continues to improve. recent recruits will have immediate back up impact. The punter has an NFL leg, but coverage wasn't there last year. Program is on the rise. You heard it hear first.

youcanbankit
February 10th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Football

Season 2016-17

SoCon Football
SoCon
Overall

Team
Record
Streak
Record
Streak

4th Place - Samford
5-3
L1
7-5
L2

Sat, Oct. 29, 2016
LOSS - gave up 56 points

Sat, Nov. 5, 2016
LOSS - gave up 37 points

Sat, Nov. 19, 2016
LOSS - to 7th place SoCon Team in their 1st year in the SoCon and 2nd year of existence

Sat, Nov. 26, 2016
LOSS - gave up 38 points

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Et8YrJSokFk/UVoNmnnVGlI/AAAAAAAABEA/MEgl9sQH5nU/s1600/You're+on+a+Roll.png

Defense definitely has to improve.

youcanbankit
February 10th, 2017, 05:47 AM
You lost me at #1. Hatcher is the same guy who took 2 years to figure out that Jayson Foster wasn't a wide receiver.

The bellhops had a good year. No doubt. 2017 will be Samford's year.

Smitty
February 10th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Since your new here, people here (including me) have been putting Samford up at the top of the conference for the past 2 or 3 years. It hasn't happened yet and until they can soundly beat UTC or Cit, they will be at best 3rd or 4th in the league.

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Samford is a paper tiger. They are a team that looks great on a stat sheet, but seemingly folds every year at crunch time.

In 2016, their defense surrendered over 27 points and 420 yards a game. The Bulldogs also have the luxury of not playing their offense. That is, they were one of the SoCon's worst defenses despite not ever playing the league's best offense (their own).

Can anyone in good conscience pick a team that doesn't play any defense and has a tendency to fall apart late in the season?

When the preseason picks come out, I would be stunned to see anyone pick them above Wofford, Citadel, and Chattanooga. They will certainly have a QB that is going to put up stellar numbers, but so did Elon. That may be enough to get you to the post season, but it sure isn't going to be enough to win when you get there.

Daytripper
February 10th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Since your new here, people here (including me) have been putting Samford up at the top of the conference for the past 2 or 3 years. It hasn't happened yet and until they can soundly beat UTC or Cit, they will be at best 3rd or 4th in the league.

I had Samford ranked in my top 15 at the beginning of last year.....

walliver
February 10th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Until the playoffs😄

youcanbankit
February 10th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Good point. The pieces are assembled now. Soon to find out. UTC and Citadel are definitely strong programs, and other SoCON teams rebuilding. The conference gets stronger each year.

youcanbankit
February 10th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Until the playoffs

Hatcher knows how to win the big game. Needed a run game to put away teams. He understands that, and has made moves to correct. Strong Talent added last year and this year. They will average 6'5 - 308 on offensive line this year, including a University of Miami OL transfer and the highest ranked center signed in 2016 in the SoCon. OL will be tougher, faster and bigger than ever. Also added an SEC back to the mix as a transfer. Special Teams will be much better with the past two year additions. Defense will be the question.

youcanbankit
February 10th, 2017, 08:20 AM
I had Samford ranked in my top 15 at the beginning of last year.....

Not far off with them finishing in the top 25. They will be much better this year. 7-5 last year. Predicting a 9-2 finish. Should be first in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Hatcher knows how to win the big game. Needed a run game to put away teams. He understands that, and has made moves to correct. Strong Talent added last year and this year. They will average 6'5 - 308 on offensive line this year, including a University of Miami OL transfer and the highest ranked center signed in 2016 in the SoCon. OL will be tougher, faster and bigger than ever. Also added an SEC back to the mix as a transfer. Special Teams will be much better with the past two year additions. Defense will be the question.

Just my opinion (and a few others on here, I suppose), but an offensive lineman's height and weight matter very little. If a guy is of significant size and is passed up by the big programs, he may well have a hole in his game. I don't think even the Atlanta Falcons average 6'5 308 on their offensive line. There are, of course, exceptions.

I'm also typically underwhelmed by transfers. I've said on here dozens of times that you could probably count the truly impact transfers in the SoCon on one hand. Many times those guys either come with baggage or simply weren't good enough to play where they started.

Further, I often find that transfers, like big trade-deadline acquisitions in baseball, indicate that the acquiring team has some major gaps in their roster. I think without dispute, teams that build their roster with a heavy dose of transfer players rarely (if ever) succeed at this level.

As you note, the issue is going to be the defense. I would say that is always the issue with a team coached by Chris Hatcher. Hatcher most certainly does not have a track record of winning the big game. He's a good coach, but Valdosta State was a long time ago and with very different restrictions on who he could bring it to play.

youcanbankit
February 10th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Samford is a paper tiger. They are a team that looks great on a stat sheet, but seemingly folds every year at crunch time.

In 2016, their defense surrendered over 27 points and 420 yards a game. The Bulldogs also have the luxury of not playing their offense. That is, they were one of the SoCon's worst defenses despite not ever playing the league's best offense (their own).

Can anyone in good conscience pick a team that doesn't play any defense and has a tendency to fall apart late in the season?

When the preseason picks come out, I would be stunned to see anyone pick them above Wofford, Citadel, and Chattanooga. They will certainly have a QB that is going to put up stellar numbers, but so did Elon. That may be enough to get you to the post season, but it sure isn't going to be enough to win when you get there.

Excellent points. All are true. A couple of key points to consider....... What caused Samford to fail in close games was lack of a running game, which hurt in two ways: first, time of possession and second, kept their defense on the field way too long. That will change this year. The preseason OLINE average 6-5 315 (not 308) is fast, stronger and meaner than last year. A transfer running back from Tennessee, a transferring O linemen from Miami, the #33 center in the nation in High School in 2016 (now a sophomore), will all contribute to moving the ball on the ground. This makes their already stellar offense and all american quarterback even better. Their defense will be significantly improved overall as well. Transfers from Arkansas and stellar linebackers returning, more speed and size in the secondary make for an improved defense. I expect Samford to be in the top 25 nationally in the preseason polls and finish 9-2 over all. That should get them a SoCon title. They do have a difficult schedule though (The SOCON always is) but they are playing 5 top 30 teams in the FCS and that does not include their game against the University of Georgia this year. Georgia is ranked somewhere between 7th and 17th depending on which poll you read. Tough road ahead, but they are prepped to move to the top.

kdinva
February 10th, 2017, 03:08 PM
A transfer running back from Tennessee, a transferring O linemen from Miami...... Transfers from Arkansas and .

....and the beat goes on....

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Excellent points. All are true. a couple of key points to consider....... What caused Samford to fail in close games was lack of a running game, which hurt in two ways: first, time of possession and second, kept their defense on the field way too long. That will change this year. The preseason OLINE average 6-5 315 (not 308) is fast, stronger and meaner than last year. A transfer running back from Tennessee, a transferring O linemen from Miami, the #33 center in the nation in High School in 2016 (now a sophomore), will all contribute to moving the ball on the ground. This makes their already stellar offense and all american quarterback even better. Their defense will be significantly improved overall as well. Transfers from Arkansas and stellar linebackers returning, more speed and size in the secondary make for an improved defense. I expect Samford to be in the top 25 nationally in the preseason polls and finish 9-2 over all. That should get them a SoCon title. They do have a difficult schedule though (The SOCON always is) but they are playing 5 top 30 teams in the FCS and that does not include their game against the University of Georgia this year. Georgia is ranked somewhere between 7th and 17th depending on which poll you read. Tough road ahead, but they are prepped to move to the top.

To rebut:

1. Samford is likely not going to start playing stingy defense and running the ball. Chris Hatcher is the coach and he is what he is. They threw the ball nearly 200 times more than the next team in the SoCon last season.

2. I'm not sure how you gauge "meanness" on a preseason roster.

3. If Samford had a bunch of 6'5 315 pound offensive linemen that could dominate opposing defenses, run, and block, they would be playing for Alabama, not Samford.

4. High school numbers and rankings are perfectly irrelevant. A friend of mine played offensive tackle at Troy. He was 6'5 310 in college. Said he dominated at the high school level because he was simply bigger and stronger than everyone he played. At the D1 level, though, he became fairly mediocre. At this level, a vast size and strength advantage is significantly mitigated.

5. There are always exceptions, but many transfers simply are not talented enough to play where they currently are. Just because a guy gets a scholarship offer from "Big School U" doesn't make him a supremely talented football player. I cannot tell you how many transfers I've seen come into the SoCon with great fanfare that ended up never really even seeing the field. Happens every year.

6. Were I a Samford fan, I would be slightly concerned about the need to take on so many transfers. What message does this send to the players you recruited? Commit to the program but if we find some guy looking for a change of scenery, we will replace you? Again, if you are finding the need to take on half a dozen transfers, what does that suggest about recruiting efforts and the ability to create depth on your roster? So many holes you have to go find ringers to fill them?

I think Samford will be a good team. I do think they have established a deserved reputation of being a great September team, but not so hot in November. I do not currently see them as one of the top teams in the conference, but as we find out every year, there are always surprises.

SU DOG
February 10th, 2017, 08:21 PM
To rebut:

1. Samford is likely not going to start playing stingy defense and running the ball. Chris Hatcher is the coach and he is what he is. They threw the ball nearly 200 times more than the next team in the SoCon last season.

3. If Samford had a bunch of 6'5 315 pound offensive linemen that could dominate opposing defenses, run, and block, they would be playing for Alabama, not Samford.

4. High school numbers and rankings are perfectly irrelevant. A friend of mine played offensive tackle at Troy. He was 6'5 310 in college. Said he dominated at the high school level because he was simply bigger and stronger than everyone he played. At the D1 level, though, he became fairly mediocre. At this level, a vast size and strength advantage is significantly mitigated.

5. There are always exceptions, but many transfers simply are not talented enough to play where they currently are. Just because a guy gets a scholarship offer from "Big School U" doesn't make him a supremely talented football player. I cannot tell you how many transfers I've seen come into the SoCon with great fanfare that ended up never really even seeing the field. Happens every year.

6. Were I a Samford fan, I would be slightly concerned about the need to take on so many transfers. What message does this send to the players you recruited? Commit to the program but if we find some guy looking for a change of scenery, we will replace you? Again, if you are finding the need to take on half a dozen transfers, what does that suggest about recruiting efforts and the ability to create depth on your roster? So many holes you have to go find ringers to fill them?

I think Samford will be a good team. I do think they have established a deserved reputation of being a great September team, but not so hot in November. I do not currently see them as one of the top teams in the conference, but as we find out every year, there are always surprises.

I'm not as optimistic as my new Samford Fan is. I think that for whatever reason, we actually underachieved(even with making the Playoffs) this past year, and I have been disappointed too many times for more years than I would like to admit. The nucleus is here for a VERY good 2017 season, however, as the talent level is definitely here.

I would like to address the 6 rebuttals that my FU friend has listed.

#1 You are right in that this is THE question - will Hatcher actually have a decent running game? I know that he says this is a priority for this year, but we'll just have to wait and see.

#2 I agree with FU fan on this one.

#3 Not completely true. In the last 4 years, Samford has put 5 guys in the NFL. Bradberry is ranked as the #1 CB rookie in the league, and was drafted ahead of any player that Auburn sent last year. I'm sure that Furman has some guys that could play for SC or Clemson also.

#4 Yes and No. A good BIG man will simply beat a good little man. Size does matter, but yeah, he can look like Tarzan and play like Jane, it just depends on the player.

#5 Sorry that Ingle Martin didn't work out for you. xlolx

#6 Wrong. Samford only signed 2 this year, as of now. We are in a unique situation in that transfers here will often be lower level FBS players that want to get back close to home, and I can assure you that they have to have the academics. The B'ham metro area is a huge resource for players, as Furman obviously knows.

Your closing paragraph with the November letdown comment, I wish I could argue, but I'll have to admit there is truth in that assessment. What concerns me also is the perception that we are sometimes soft. Again, however, there is evidence, unfortunately, to support that.

FUBeAR
February 11th, 2017, 06:09 AM
I would like to address the 6 rebuttals that my FU friend has listed.

#3 Not completely true. In the last 4 years, Samford has put 5 guys in the NFL. Bradberry is ranked as the #1 CB rookie in the league, and was drafted ahead of any player that Auburn sent last year. I'm sure that Furman has some guys that could play for SC or Clemson also.

#6 Wrong. Samford only signed 2 this year, as of now. We are in a unique situation in that transfers here will often be lower level FBS players that want to get back close to home

Partial Semi-Re-Rebuttal...

#3 - I think you missed PaladinFan's point. His comments apply specifically to O-Linemen. How many of those Sammy NFL Players are O-Lineman? There are rare circumstances where an NFL-sized O-Lineman who has the ability to PLAY will not be scooped up out of HS by FBS P5 Programs, but, by far, IMO, the large majority of these 6-6 (even 6-5) 300#+ O-Lineman who sign with FCS Teams out of HS are just not very good. Sometimes they develop into decent players, but most of the time they don't. For reasons outside the scope of this partial semi-re-rebuttal, they still end up on the field and they often end up on FCS All-Conference Teams, etc...but...they are still not very good players. The rare few that do end up playing at the next level are the exceptions I cited earlier. Most FCS O-Lines would be much better off playing the 6-3/6-4 280# OL players that are REALLY "Players,"...but they won't because of those complicated outside the scope reasons. So, like me, PaladinFan is wholly unimpressed with any "Measurable" stats of a Team's OLine. I imagine, he, like me, looks at 1 thing to evaluate an O-Lineman. Did he get his man blocked effectively on each play? If he can do that 85-90% of the time, he can play on my O-Line regardless of the length of his inseam.

#6 - So, is that the situation for Sammy's SEC (UTenn) Transfer RB in this signing class; he wanted to be closer to home? That extra 45 minutes from ATL to Knoxville vs. B'Ham was wearing on him too much? And the OL Transfer from Miami - he wanted to cut that 2 hours off of his commute from Tallahassee to Miami vs. Tally to B'ham? OK...if you say so...xthumbsupx

youcanbankit
February 11th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Just my opinion (and a few others on here, I suppose), but an offensive lineman's height and weight matter very little. If a guy is of significant size and is passed up by the big programs, he may well have a hole in his game. I don't think even the Atlanta Falcons average 6'5 308 on their offensive line. There are, of course, exceptions.

I'm also typically underwhelmed by transfers. I've said on here dozens of times that you could probably count the truly impact transfers in the SoCon on one hand. Many times those guys either come with baggage or simply weren't good enough to play where they started.

Further, I often find that transfers, like big trade-deadline acquisitions in baseball, indicate that the acquiring team has some major gaps in their roster. I think without dispute, teams that build their roster with a heavy dose of transfer players rarely (if ever) succeed at this level.

As you note, the issue is going to be the defense. I would say that is always the issue with a team coached by Chris Hatcher. Hatcher most certainly does not have a track record of winning the big game. He's a good coach, but Valdosta State was a long time ago and with very different restrictions on who he could bring it to play.

I understand your doubts, based on your own experience with your coaches and teams. Size, strength and speed do matter when running the football. Its physics not hype. If you only have one of the three, it can definitely show holes in the game. But with all three, it gets down to execution, and they are going to be able to do that this year. Samford is poised to have a great year. Proof is on the way.

youcanbankit
February 11th, 2017, 09:09 AM
....and the beat goes on....

Its the rhythm of momentum, leading to winning. What a beautiful sound.

SU DOG
February 11th, 2017, 09:21 AM

#3 - I think you missed PaladinFan's point. His comments apply specifically to O-Linemen. How many of those Sammy NFL Players are O-Lineman? There are rare circumstances where an NFL-sized O-Lineman who has the ability to PLAY will not be scooped up out of HS by FBS P5 Programs, but, by far, IMO, the large majority of these 6-6 (even 6-5) 300#+ O-Lineman who sign with FCS Teams out of HS are just not very good. Sometimes they develop into decent players, but most of the time they don't. For reasons outside the scope of this partial semi-re-rebuttal, they still end up on the field and they often end up on FCS All-Conference Teams, etc...but...they are still not very good players. The rare few that do end up playing at the next level are the exceptions I cited earlier. Most FCS O-Lines would be much better off playing the 6-3/6-4 280# OL players that are REALLY "Players,"...but they won't because of those complicated outside the scope reasons. So, like me, PaladinFan is wholly unimpressed with any "Measurable" stats of a Team's OLine. I imagine, he, like me, looks at 1 thing to evaluate an O-Lineman. Did he get his man blocked effectively on each play? If he can do that 85-90% of the time, he can play on my O-Line regardless of the length of his inseam.

#6 - So, is that the situation for Sammy's SEC (UTenn) Transfer RB in this signing class; he wanted to be closer to home? That extra 45 minutes from ATL to Knoxville vs. B'Ham was wearing on him too much? And the OL Transfer from Miami - he wanted to cut that 2 hours off of his commute from Tallahassee to Miami vs. Tally to B'ham? OK...if you say so...xthumbsupx

There are certainly OL on NFL rosters who played in the FCS. I agree with you 100% that it is rare, but it does happen.

As for #6, if you read carefully I said this is OFTEN the case(large percentage), and Bradberry is the shining example of one of those that came back home.

SU DOG
February 11th, 2017, 09:23 AM
I understand your doubts, based on your own experience with your coaches and teams. Size, strength and speed do matter when running the football. Its physics not hype. If you only have one of the three, it can definitely show holes in the game. But with all three, it gets down to execution, and they are going to be able to do that this year. Samford is poised to have a great year. Proof is on the way.

Hope you are right - I am SO ready for that proof.

youcanbankit
February 11th, 2017, 09:32 AM
To rebut:

Rebut - SO wrong. His defensive coordinator/coaches are all about continuous improvement. Defense has been slowly improving year over year. Will continue this year.

Hatcher - When he has the weapons, he runs the ball too. People dont get that about him. Because of his recent quick changes at Georgia Southern and Murray State, the circumstances did not allow him to build his team model. Valdosta State championship stats prove it. The weapons have now arrived.

Rebut - Simple Watching Game Film

Rebut - When they arrived they were not developed physically. Samford hired Alabama's #2 strength coach and #2 Nutritionist 2 years ago, and recent starting fullback 1 year ago as an offensive coach. Their new programs are already reflecting in the success and influencing the program in new directions. The change is easy to see.

Rebut - Its about size, strength and Speed. Then executing. These kids can play. Some of them came to Samford because of the education and christian influence.

Rebut - Sometimes its about kids who messed up and need a positive spiritual influence in their life. Talented enough to play but not disciplined in their off the field behavior.

Rebut - Three transfers who see where the program is going, believe and want to be a part of it is hardly an issue with recruited players the past to three years.

Agreed. the proof will be on the field. Predicting just two more wins this year than last year.

youcanbankit
February 11th, 2017, 09:52 AM

Rebut - I understand your viewpoint due to your own experiences with your own team and their inability to recruit the bigger/faster/stronger guys who can play with heart. But it is possible to recruit size, speed, strength and heart. Watch some film you will see it. Just looking at stats or film is only part of the story. But I know we agree the game is won in the trenches. You also need to check your facts about FCS players and High school. Doesn't match the facts.

The work ethic is also different. A better and improved grind makes a huge difference. Samford hired Alabama's #2 strength coach and #2 Nutritionist 2 years ago, and recent starting fullback 1 year ago as an offensive coach. Their new programs and ideas are already reflecting in the success and influencing the program in new directions.

Rebut - No not really. These kids can play. Some of them came to Samford because of the education, the atmosphere and christian influence. Sometimes its about kids who messed up and need a positive spiritual influence in their life. Talented enough to play but not disciplined in their off the field behavior. Is doesn't hurt to keep having guys taken into the NFL either.Closer to home is a by product if anything.

Oh Yeah.....:)

Bucs2016
February 11th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Anyone can predict who will win it. But Citadel is the King of the SoCon until someone else takes it.

PaladinFan
February 11th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Anyone can predict who will win it. But Citadel is the King of the SoCon until someone else takes it.

That's always been my approach. To be the man you gotta beat the man. Right now Samford ain't the man.

citdog
February 11th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Its the rhythm of momentum, leading to winning. What a beautiful sound.

The last ringer qb y'all brought in lasted what was it 1 quarter against The Citadel on your own field?

citdog
February 11th, 2017, 07:26 PM
http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/13259580_625018630982441_1160963118_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTI2MzE2MTAwNzQwNTgyMjY3MQ%3D%3D.2

Milktruck74
February 12th, 2017, 06:08 AM

So who replaced Hatcher?
I know I'm working with a sub-par public school education, but isn't threw the past tense of throw?
Again, who replaced Hatcher to realize running the ball is a viable option?
Taller doesn't mean better and won't they be harder to throw over?
Time will tell.
When your QB is sacked 3 straight plays because everybody knows its a pass (a dive is a trick play for Hatcher....where did he go?), you usually get a punter with a ton of game time...
Great.

At the end of the day you must heed what the great philosopher of the day says......TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN....WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Any day I can start off with a Ric Flair quote, is a good day!!!!!

youcanbankit
February 12th, 2017, 07:23 AM

Was the king in 2016. Congrats to the Citadel for playing so well in the regular season last year. This year Samford wins it with a 9-2 record.

youcanbankit
February 12th, 2017, 07:43 AM
That's always been my approach. To be the man you gotta beat the man. Right now Samford ain't the man.

Rick Flair Quote! Ha! Nice. The last guy I heard quote this was Matt Ryan. xpeacex

youcanbankit
February 12th, 2017, 07:47 AM
[/B]Any day I can start off with a Ric Flair quote, is a good day!!!!!

Rick Flair Quote! Ha! Nice. However, This guy lost 50% of his wrestling matches! Pro wrestling? Really? Anyway......The last guy I heard quote this was Matt Ryan. We know how that turned out. xpeacex

Still think Samford is 9-2 next year. I do like the QB you guys brought in....Nick Tiano. Should be a real QB battle in spring in MOCville.

youcanbankit
February 12th, 2017, 07:49 AM
http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/13259580_625018630982441_1160963118_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTI2MzE2MTAwNzQwNTgyMjY3MQ%3D%3D.2

Nice Historic Photo. Surprised its in color. Well deserved in 2015. Samford 9-2 in 2017. xpeacex

walliver
February 13th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Has Chattown moved to Alabama?

kdinva
February 13th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Has Chattown moved to Alabama?

:D xslapfightx

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2017, 11:04 AM
If Samford is going 9-2, who do you have them losing to? I presume UGA, and who else?

Truthfully, Kennesaw State in week 1 is no slouch. It would not shock me to see Samford with 2 losses by week 3 this fall.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 13th, 2017, 01:53 PM
I guess if there's a positive for Samford it's that Tyler Renew, Lorenzo Long, and Derrick Craine are gone. Samford gave up well over 600 yards to those three guys and gave up half a mile of rushing yards to YSU's Jody Webb as well.

Samford actually plays decent bend-don't-break defense, but that is just not going to work against Wofford and the Citadel or against an elite FCS back.

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 02:51 PM
If Samford is going 9-2, who do you have them losing to? I presume UGA, and who else?

Truthfully, Kennesaw State in week 1 is no slouch. It would not shock me to see Samford with 2 losses by week 3 this fall.

UGA and Furman.....:)

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 03:22 PM
UGA and Furman.....:)

Kennesaw State is an option team. Y'all don't do so well against those. That's a loss. Chatt is a loss. The Citadel is a loss. Georgia is a loss. Wofford is a loss. I think 7-4 is your final. That is IF you can beat ETSU...

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Kennesaw State is an option team. Y'all don't do so well against those. That's a loss. Chatt is a loss. The Citadel is a loss. Georgia is a loss. Wofford is a loss. I think 7-4 is your final. That is IF you can beat ETSU...

titdog...your a loss....your in serious need of counseling...xnodx

9-2 just for you

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 03:43 PM
titdog...your a loss....xnodx

9-2 just for you

Wager??

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Wager??

You mean a bet? That would be illegal, plus you wouldnt pay up. You would be like the guy in "My Cousin Vinnie: with a roll of ones. Or the guy eating a chicken leg.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M42tgfNuNA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M42tgfNuNA

I will counter offer....Samford U......9-2.

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 06:31 PM
You mean a bet? That would be illegal

No Cops

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 06:41 PM
No Cops

Down goes THE citdog...Just like Frazier! Samford goes 9-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEIMQ42-oU

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 06:43 PM
You obviously don't feel very confident about your prediculation. A simple avatar bet for 10days.

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 06:49 PM
You obviously don't feel very confident about your prediculation. A simple avatar bet for 10days.

Means I am very confident. Samford U 9-2

Whats Citadel going to do? Dont hear any of your confidence? Lets hear your prediction Wins, Losses and Why? Versus Senseless spew about avatar bets and citadel will win? Lets hear it???? What you got????

BisonFan02
February 13th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Means I am very confident. Samford U 9-2

Whats Citadel going to do? Dont hear any of your confidence? Lets hear your prediction Wins, Losses and Why? Versus Senseless spew about avatar bets and citadel will win? Lets hear it???? What you got????

Just say "bank it". It works.

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Where you at citdog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re72di5phM0

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Just say "bank it". It works.

I gave multiple reasons why they win the SoCon. Where you at on the Bison's soon extinction?

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2017, 06:53 PM
I gave multiple reasons why they win the SoCon. Where you at on the Bison slide?

It's February.

BisonFan02
February 13th, 2017, 06:55 PM
I gave multiple reasons why they win the SoCon. Where you at on the Bison's soon extinction?

I'm banking it.

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 07:02 PM
I'm banking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 07:03 PM
It's February.

furman sucks

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I'm banking it.

yeah baby b. Now your getting it.

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 10:06 PM
It's February.

Yeah man.Spring football!

BisonFan02
February 13th, 2017, 10:08 PM

*you're

#bookit

youcanbankit
February 13th, 2017, 10:27 PM
*you're

#bookit

#sewergas
#bisonburgers
#droppingtimber

UNHWildcat18
February 13th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Even if they do win is a soconn team actually gonna make the semis? Last time was GSU 2011/12 if I'm not mistaken

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Even if they do win is a soconn team actually gonna make the semis? Last time was GSU 2011/12 if I'm not mistaken

When the ncaa quits the "South Carolina Bracket" bull**** yes.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.websitetoolbox.com/20620/3226015

Bucs2016
February 13th, 2017, 11:40 PM

Yep. That was a crime for those 3 teams to be stuck together in the "SC bracket".

FUBeAR
February 14th, 2017, 07:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

I'm afraid youcan'tbankit will...again.

The change it didn't come.
We knew it all along...
Meet the new loss, same as the old loss.

youcanbankit
February 14th, 2017, 08:58 AM

That is a great question. I think winning at the playoff level is coming. Dont know if this year or next year will be the year for the SoCon.The strength of the Southern Conference is getting better. Last year four teams made it in, so good football is happening.

IMO....One thing that is helping is mere population growth and the number of talented players left on the table for FCS Scholarships. The other thing is that the power 5 conferences are having kids sit for a number of years before they break on the scene and get playing time. Kids want to play, and these days its clear the NFL finds you no matter where you are. Samford has 5 guys in the NFL now, all of which are playing and doing really well. But it takes more than a couple of great players to win in the Southern conference. Too early to predict playoff wins. We had some highly touted teams in it last year and all fell too early. Samford drew a team for the first game that ended up in the championship. They were definitely beatable though.

youcanbankit
February 14th, 2017, 09:00 AM

We can agree on that one!!!!

youcanbankit
February 14th, 2017, 09:13 AM
I'm afraid youcan'tbankit will...again.

The change it didn't come.
We knew it all along...
Meet the new loss, same as the old loss.

2. Best Quarterback in the conference. Threw for 4000 yards last year.
3. Best Offense in the conference and will play more balanced this year. Signed Tennessee Transfer at Running back.
4. Offensive line will be seriously upgraded in 2017. (6-6, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7) Signed Miami O-line Transfer.
5. Defense improves to be the #2 defense in the SoCon. Added Arkansas Transfer on D-Line.

You Can Believe it - Here's the projected math 1+2+3 = Championship. (#1 Offense +#2 defense +#3 Special Teams = SoCon Championship) If any of those dont happen.....we will see what happens in the playoffs.

SU DOG
February 14th, 2017, 10:39 AM

3. Best Offense in the conference and will play more balanced this year. Signed Tennessee Transfer at Running back.
4. Offensive line will be seriously upgraded in 2017. (6-6, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7) Signed Miami O-line Transfer.
5. Defense improves to be the #2 defense in the SoCon. Added Arkansas Transfer on D-Line.

You Can Believe it - Here's the projected math 1+2+3 = Championship. (#1 Offense +#2 defense +#3 Special Teams = SoCon Championship) If any of those dont happen.....we will see what happens in the playoffs.

WOW! I thought I was the optimistic Samford Fan, but it's way too early for me to be THIS confident. I'll check out Spring Training first and see if we really look better and more balanced on offense. I agree that Samford has the talent and recruiting has been phenomenal the past few years. I also know, however, that expectations haven't been reached, and IMO, the talent has been better than the results. The O-Line has already been huge, but didn't move anybody off the LOS. We lost our starting center and an all conference guard from last season, but as you say, we have a Soph, who was listed as the #33 center in the nation(247sports), and the Miami xfer to replace them.

I think the possibility is definitely there, but I will be cautiously optimistic, as I have had too many Kool-Aid hangovers in past seasons.

youcanbankit
February 14th, 2017, 11:46 AM
WOW! I thought I was the optimistic Samford Fan, but it's way too early for me to be THIS confident. I'll check out Spring Training first and see if we really look better and more balanced on offense. I agree that Samford has the talent and recruiting has been phenomenal the past few years. I also know, however, that expectations haven't been reached, and IMO, the talent has been better than the results. The O-Line has already been huge, but didn't move anybody off the LOS. We lost our starting center and an all conference guard from last season, but as you say, we have a Soph, who was listed as the #33 center in the nation(247sports), and the Miami xfer to replace them.

I think the possibility is definitely there, but I will be cautiously optimistic, as I have had too many Kool-Aid hangovers in past seasons.

Not really a kool aid fan! xdrunkyx Never much liked the stuff.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24586&stc=1

Two more wins and Samford would have been a 9 win team this year. ETSU/Citadel both should have been wins and you could argue Mississippi State. Two games Samford was never in UTC and Youngstown State.

I still see the numbers being there. If the offense keeps humming and adds a running game, defense improves to a top #2 defense in the SoCon and special teams improves to a top #3 in conference, the stats say its enough for a SoCon Title. Sure a lot can happen, that's why its a prediction.

Not sure what you are referring too about a big offensive line. I am only comparing to last year...avg. 6'3"ish - 285 lbs.??? Not big enough to run the ball in the SoCon, unless your running the triple option.

The first game of the year will be a nice test. Kennesaw State finished in the top 20 in both offense #8 and defense #16th last year in the FCS. Schedule was weak though. Strength of schedule for Samford is a tough one this year. 5 top 30 teams in the FCS - EOY rankings and Georgia. Seem impossible? Please dont quote anyone from the WWF or WWE.

SU DOG
February 14th, 2017, 01:52 PM
First SoCon game against UTC. Starting OLs - Samford averaged 307 and Mocs averaged 298. UTC rushed for 282 yards Samford rushed for 46. xembarrassedxSamford O-Line got smaller late in the season because some heavier players were not getting it done and were benched for smaller guys.
I'm through with this thread, as I want what you say to come true. I'm also realistic enough, however, to realize that UNLESS we get a lot tougher on both sides of the ball, we will NOT accomplish these lofty goals.

dixiechs
February 14th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Good analysis by the way. A couple of comments, the air offense is returning a strong group, so look for them to contend again nationally thru the air. The rushing attack will change. Coaches took over and had to use the skill sets on the team to compete. The OLINE is one of them. You will see a bigger, faster, tougher Oline than you have seen at Samford in 30 years. Last years #33 center in nation, recent recruits the past 2 years, along with a Miami transfer will add size, speed and toughness to the Oline. Hiring University of Alabama's #2 strength coach and #2 nutritionist two years ago is proving itself. The pick up of two running backs this year, A JUCO transfer and Freshmen will add tremendous speed and bigger backs. Treyvon Paulk, transfer from Hutchinson JC ,signed with Tennessee. Look for him to make an immediate impact. Many more pick ups not listed brings this offense to the forefront in the conference. Not being able to run the ball last year impacted Time of Possession and the ability to put teams away. big difference this year.

On defense and special teams, the team has to continue to improve. However, they are improving. Great athletes picked up the past two years will add more speed and coverage for special teams and on defense. Key transfers on Dline and developing linebackers will show immediate results. Secondary continues to improve. recent recruits will have immediate back up impact. The punter has an NFL leg, but coverage wasn't there last year. Program is on the rise. You heard it hear first.

idontknowwhoyouare,butilikeyou!xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Not really a kool aid fan! xdrunkyx Never much liked the stuff.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24586&stc=1

Two more wins and Samford would have been a 9 win team this year. ETSU/Citadel both should have been wins and you could argue Mississippi State. Two games Samford was never in UTC and Youngstown State.

I still see the numbers being there. If the offense keeps humming and adds a running game, defense improves to a top #2 defense in the SoCon and special teams improves to a top #3 in conference, the stats say its enough for a SoCon Title. Sure a lot can happen, that's why its a prediction.

Not sure what you are referring too about a big offensive line. I am only comparing to last year...avg. 6'3"ish - 285 lbs.??? Not big enough to run the ball in the SoCon, unless your running the triple option.

The first game of the year will be a nice test. Kennesaw State finished in the top 20 in both offense #8 and defense #16th last year in the FCS. Schedule was weak though. Strength of schedule for Samford is a tough one this year. 5 top 30 teams in the FCS - EOY rankings and Georgia. Seem impossible? Please dont quote anyone from the WWF or WWE.

Bear you want to take that one?

citdog
February 14th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Samford is SOFT and that is a Hatcher problem. ALWAYS has been.

FUBeAR
February 15th, 2017, 07:51 AM
idontknowwhoyouare,butilikeyou!xthumbsupxYour son knows his son very well. Not quite as well as he would if they played for El Cid though. You should have them introduce y'all to one another.

FUBeAR
February 15th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Bear you want to take that one?Nah...thanks though. Once s/he said my OL perspective was based on "my team's" inability to recruit bigger OLmen (vs. my actual perspective of 40+ years of Playing & Coaching College & HS O-Line), I knew it was a lost cause.

The phrase "assumes facts not in evidence" must be his/her personal mantra.

dixiechs
February 15th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Your son knows his son very well. Not quite as well as he would if they played for El Cid though. You should have them introduce y'all to one another.

interesting:)

kdinva
February 15th, 2017, 08:26 AM
xboringx

vestaviadude
February 15th, 2017, 08:46 AM
idontknowwhoyouare,butilikeyou!xthumbsupx

I agree with you.I like the post! xnodx

Bucs2016
February 15th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Nah...thanks though. Once s/he said my OL perspective was based on "my team's" inability to recruit bigger OLmen (vs. my actual perspective of 40+ years of Playing & Coaching College & HS O-Line), I knew it was a lost cause.

The phrase "assumes facts not in evidence" must be his/her personal mantra.

You make some great points about OL. Its by far the most challenging position in FCS to recruit. In my opinion...OL is the true biggest difference in FBS/FCS. The rest of the positions, theres a gap but its not really that big. The difference in most FBS O lines vs FCS ones however is pretty big. Too many FCS teams will take the "look" over the skill at OL. Two of the worst offenders ive seen in the past are Liberty and SC State. Their OL look like the Dallas Cowboys some years in warmups. But usually werent as skilled/effective as some smaller lines like Citadel or Coastal.

vestaviadude
February 15th, 2017, 04:28 PM
You make some great points about OL. Its by far the most challenging position in FCS to recruit. In my opinion...OL is the true biggest difference in FBS/FCS. The rest of the positions, theres a gap but its not really that big. The difference in most FBS O lines vs FCS ones however is pretty big. Too many FCS teams will take the "look" over the skill at OL. Two of the worst offenders ive seen in the past are Liberty and SC State. Their OL look like the Dallas Cowboys some years in warmups. But usually werent as skilled/effective as some smaller lines like Citadel or Coastal.

Great points Bucs2016.

The depth also comes into play.... IMO... Just have more scholarships and depth in FBS.

youcanbankit
February 16th, 2017, 09:31 PM
I agree with you.I like the post! xnodx

Thanks!

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2017, 04:50 AM

My opinion - Defensive End is the most difficult position to recruit at the FCS level. Good offensive linemen come in a lot of varieties, but the DE is probably the most physically demanding position on the field. Requires size, speed, physicality, athleticism that is difficult to find at the FCS level, especially in a 4-3 defense.

Catamount87
February 17th, 2017, 07:49 AM
My opinion - Defensive End is the most difficult position to recruit at the FCS level. Good offensive linemen come in a lot of varieties, but the DE is probably the most physically demanding position on the field. Requires size, speed, physicality, athleticism that is difficult to find at the FCS level, especially in a 4-3 defense.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many and what percentage of FCS schools and on down, run a 3-4 compared to FBS schools.

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many and what percentage of FCS schools and on down, run a 3-4 compared to FBS schools.

No idea, but a good question.

I advocated for Furman to move to a 3-4 scheme for years. My rationale is that it is easier to recruit the players to fit that defense at the FCS level than it is to find guys that are true fits to a 4-3. Perhaps this is because of the continued influx of D1 programs where such players are just not in ample supply as they used to be.

Furman was struggling to find (and retain) the 6'2 250-60 pound guys they used to have playing a 4-3 defensive end. In recent years, they have relied on taking linebackers and moving them to DE, which has killed our depth at linebacker. Our average player at that position the last few years is probably 20-30 pounds lighter than they used to be.

With a move to the 3-4, Furman can utilize some under-recruited players that are sort of ill-fit for a more traditional scheme. Good example is Adrian Hope, an OLB Furman recruited out of Ocala, Florida. The guy is a absolute terror in the backfield, but at 6'1 205, doesn't fit well in a 4-3 scheme. You could have played him at linebacker, but you would lose a lot of his explosive pass rush ability, which he is extremely good at. I expect he is going to be an animal in Chad Staggs' 3-4 defense.

Catamount87
February 17th, 2017, 01:23 PM
No idea, but a good question.

I advocated for Furman to move to a 3-4 scheme for years. My rationale is that it is easier to recruit the players to fit that defense at the FCS level than it is to find guys that are true fits to a 4-3. Perhaps this is because of the continued influx of D1 programs where such players are just not in ample supply as they used to be.

Furman was struggling to find (and retain) the 6'2 250-60 pound guys they used to have playing a 4-3 defensive end. In recent years, they have relied on taking linebackers and moving them to DE, which has killed our depth at linebacker. Our average player at that position the last few years is probably 20-30 pounds lighter than they used to be.

With a move to the 3-4, Furman can utilize some under-recruited players that are sort of ill-fit for a more traditional scheme. Good example is Adrian Hope, an OLB Furman recruited out of Ocala, Florida. The guy is a absolute terror in the backfield, but at 6'1 205, doesn't fit well in a 4-3 scheme. You could have played him at linebacker, but you would lose a lot of his explosive pass rush ability, which he is extremely good at. I expect he is going to be an animal in Chad Staggs' 3-4 defense.

Word is that we'll be moving to the 3-4 this year. I suspect it has a lot to do with the exact things you mentioned.

citdog
February 17th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Problem with the 3-4 is finding Defensive Tackles that can eat up space and be athletic.

FUBeAR
February 17th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Problem with the 3-4 is finding Defensive Tackles that can eat up space and be athletic. Nah...you need 4-6 DT's that can play in a 4-3, but only 2 or 3 of them in a 3-4. You just fatten up a couple of those 1Tech's or ShadeDT's in a 4-3, lean up the lighter 3Tech's a little bit and move them to 3-4 DE's.

Hate to agree with PaladinFan on ANYTHING and I've always Coached 4-3 (when I Coached DL, on occasion), but after watching Mercer build a solid run D (with a bunch of walk-on D-Linemen) using a 3-4 alignment, I'm in the 3-4 Defense Camp for FCS Football Teams....particularly Teams in the South where Athletes (LB's) are more abundantly available to FCS Programs than big 'ol corn-fed DLmen.

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Nah...you need 4-6 DT's that can play in a 4-3, but only 2 or 3 of them in a 3-4. You just fatten up a couple of those 1Tech's or ShadeDT's in a 4-3, lean up the lighter 3Tech's a little bit and move them to 3-4 DE's.

Hate to agree with PaladinFan on ANYTHING and I've always Coached 4-3 (when I Coached DL, on occasion), but after watching Mercer build a solid run D (with a bunch of walk-on D-Linemen) using a 3-4 alignment, I'm in the 3-4 Defense Camp for FCS Football Teams....particularly Teams in the South where Athletes (LB's) are more abundantly available to FCS Programs than big 'ol corn-fed DLmen.

Right.

There's a lot of misconception that you have to have some big space-eater to run a 3-4. Some teams do run a scheme with a lot of powerful two gap "read and react" defensive linemen (see: Alabama). Those type players are not typically available at the FCS level.

More likely, you'll see FCS teams implement a 1 gap scheme. The NT will be responsible for one gap instead of two. I actually prefer this type of defensive set because a quick and explosive NT can cause all sorts of problems for the interior offensive line. Have to a be a tough hombre to play in there, though, as you are going to get double teamed virtually every play.

youcanbankit
February 18th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Problem with the 3-4 is finding Defensive Tackles that can eat up space and be athletic.

I agree with citdog on this one. The athleticism of the DL and linebackers make the determination. each year that can be different. Great players make all the difference. The 3-4 at the FCS level has a hard time getting pressure on the quarterback with out blitzing linebackers. IMO....The dual threat quarterback is impacting whether you run the 3-4 or the 4-3. If you can contain the dual threat and athletic enough to stop the run with 3 guys, you should do it. Other wise you drop to the 4-3 or a blend of the two. Most FCS defensive lines are not big enough or athletic enough to do both. Need the extra man of the 4-3 most of the time. Otherwise you give up 5 yards a clip in the run game.

PaladinFan
February 18th, 2017, 12:21 PM
I agree with citdog on this one. The athleticism of the DL and linebackers make the determination. each year that can be different. Great players make all the difference. The 3-4 at the FCS level has a hard time getting pressure on the quarterback with out blitzing linebackers. IMO....The dual threat quarterback is impacting whether you run the 3-4 or the 4-3. If you can contain the dual threat and athletic enough to stop the run with 3 guys, you should do it. Other wise you drop to the 4-3 or a blend of the two. Most FCS defensive lines are not big enough or athletic enough to do both. Need the extra man of the 4-3 most of the time. Otherwise you give up 5 yards a clip in the run game.

No one stops a run game with three players. Maybe 7 if you are good. Most teams need 8.

Samford Circle
February 23rd, 2017, 01:50 PM

I like this post!! Go Bulldogs!

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2017, 03:30 PM
.particularly Teams in the South where Athletes (LB's) are more abundantly available to FCS Programs than big 'ol corn-fed DLmen.
Should plant more corn than cotton then. I thought the South was super dedicated to football :D

Oh man, you are gunna be fun. xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
February 23rd, 2017, 09:55 PM
I like this post!! Go Bulldogs!
WELCOME to AGS Samford Circle. Great to see us pick up some more SU posters. I'll admit to feeling lonely here at times.
GO DOGS!!!!!

FUBeAR
February 23rd, 2017, 10:06 PM
WELCOME to AGS Samford Circle. Great to see us pick up some more SU posters. I'll admit to feeling lonely here at times.
GO DOGS!!!!!

You should just create a 2nd account with a different name & post @ yourself. It seems to be the thing to do for the Homewood Homers

SU DOG
February 24th, 2017, 08:31 AM
You should just create a 2nd account with a different name & post @ yourself. It seems to be the thing to do for the Homewood Homers

And maybe you should post one of your never-ending stats pages to validate this suggestion. LOL

PaladinFan
February 24th, 2017, 11:56 AM
And maybe you should post one of your never-ending stats pages to validate this suggestion. LOL

Don't encourage him.

citdog
February 24th, 2017, 04:06 PM
GO DOGS!!!!!

Pretty sure all of the recent Samford posters share the same IP Addy...

BearDownMU
February 27th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party. I've been hibernating. I think the question we all really want to ask youcanbankit:

Which Samford player is yours?

xrotatehx

Cat-in-GA
February 28th, 2017, 12:06 PM

Just saw this post. You punter is good, but he has been #3 or #4 in the conference for the past two seasons. Not sure why you expect him to improve over that. How have your special teams been "upgraded?"

youcanbankit
March 1st, 2017, 02:50 PM
Just saw this post. You punter is good, but he has been #3 or #4 in the conference for the past two seasons. Not sure why you expect him to improve over that. How have your special teams been "upgraded?"

Additional speed has been added and coaching technique has changed. The punter was #3 and #4 due to coverage or lack of it and the approach. Change is coming! Watch out SoCon....even the citdog must bow to its greatness....No bets please....

youcanbankit
March 1st, 2017, 02:56 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party. I've been hibernating. I think the question we all really want to ask youcanbankit:

Which Samford player is yours?

xrotatehx Its all about the program change, coaching/AD and administration. They are the real deal. money soon to follow. Wailing and whoopin's in 2017 for all who doubt it. xthumbsupxxnodx

Plus I know that everyone hates Samford because they are viewed "THE" privileged. (that "THE" is for Citdog) Everyone loves to hate them.

youcanbankit
March 1st, 2017, 02:59 PM
xnodx
Pretty sure all of the recent Samford posters share the same IP Addy... You got to quit burning those left handed cigarettes. Your hallucinating. xeyebrowx

Cat-in-GA
March 1st, 2017, 03:13 PM
I think that you need to check up on how punt stats are kept. His #3 or #4 rank was based on his gross average, unaffected by coverage. Samford was 2nd in net punt average for the conference, so coverage was not an issue.

PaladinFan
March 1st, 2017, 03:39 PM
Its all about the program change, coaching/AD and administration. They are the real deal. money soon to follow. Wailing and whoopin's in 2017 for all who doubt it. xthumbsupxxnodx

Plus I know that everyone hates Samford because they are viewed "THE" privileged. (that "THE" is for Citdog) Everyone loves to hate them.

So, explain.

I like Chris Hatcher. He has been at the FCS level for 10 seasons. He has never won more than 7 games in a season (even Bruce Fowler eclipsed that). He has one playoff appearance (which, frankly, was a surprise after the way Samford ended the season). He was roughly a .500 coach at GSU. He was roughly a .500 coach at Murray State. In two seasons, he is roughly a .500 coach at Samford.

At what point does he just become a coach that can get you to .500 and not any further? You look at his career since leaving Valdosta State, and he never really has bad seasons, and never really has good seasons. He puts together a high scoring offense on a team that goes on to have mediocre seasons.

Hatcher is a likeable guy and a good coach. But after ten seasons, don't you already know what to expect from him?

youcanbankit
March 1st, 2017, 04:43 PM
So, explain.

I like Chris Hatcher. He has been at the FCS level for 10 seasons. He has never won more than 7 games in a season (even Bruce Fowler eclipsed that). He has one playoff appearance (which, frankly, was a surprise after the way Samford ended the season). He was roughly a .500 coach at GSU. He was roughly a .500 coach at Murray State. In two seasons, he is roughly a .500 coach at Samford.

At what point does he just become a coach that can get you to .500 and not any further? You look at his career since leaving Valdosta State, and he never really has bad seasons, and never really has good seasons. He puts together a high scoring offense on a team that goes on to have mediocre seasons.

Hatcher is a likeable guy and a good coach. But after ten seasons, don't you already know what to expect from him?

Excellent question. You could be exactly right. The stats do tell a story. Here is my take. While at Valdosta State, a place he was able to stay for a number of years he was 76-12. He was given full support of the university along with being in a geographic hotbed of talent. That definitely helped. The next two years the VS team went 13-1 and 9-3 continuing to win with his recruits after he left. When he went to Georgia Southern, he was not allowed to stay long enough to get his players developed. In 3 years his record was not stellar, and GS did not like the air raid style of offense, but the next three years GS went 10-5, 11-3, and 10-4 with his recruits. Again located in a geographic area with a lot of football talent. He recruited very well. He was let go too early. My take.

He then took a job at a basketball school and got into a system that just did not want to build a football program. All about basketball and he was not in a great geographic area for football talent. Murray State just did not sell itself to football athletes. IMO he was pushing a bad position. Due to poor recruiting efforts, he could not turn that program around but I think he learned a lot in that situation, about what works for him and what doesn't. Since coming to Samford, he returns to a geographic area that has a lot of talent, can still recruit in Georgia and Florida very easily and can leverage his contacts. Samford also has a strong AD and the administration is slowly coming around to football being the number 1 or 2 sport at Samford. In the past its been basketball, baseball, tennis, then football.

Three other reasons.....1.)He knows how to develop young coaches..... which he has a couple right now that are going to be great the next few years. He did give Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp their start. 2.) Is one of the original minds of the air raid offense, spread style offense. 3.) He knows how to recruit. If allowed to stay the next 3 years, folks will see the kind of coach he can be. He needs at least 5 years to get his offense and his players anchored. He will be young this year but will win 9 games. Should be enough to win the SoCon.

IMO...For him to be successful, he needs the right environment (Like all coaches)......1.)Needs to be in a geographic area to compete and recruit. He is a southern guy that relates to the southern working class kids. 2.) Needs a defensive guru to take control of the defense and own it, not his forte. 3.) Needs support, trust and time from the administration. I think he has that at Samford. 4.) Needs to bring in more of a hard nosed player that has talent, cant win with a soft style of player in the SoCon. He is doing these things and more. Proof will be in the numbers the next few years....

FUBeAR
March 1st, 2017, 05:15 PM
Its all about the program change, coaching/AD and administration. They are the real deal. money soon to follow. Wailing and whoopin's in 2017 for all who doubt it. xthumbsupxxnodx

Yessir. It's all right here in black & white. Stadium upgrades planned for Phase IV (of IV) of the 20 year master plan, qualified by "as funds are made available." Read "as" as "if" in that sentence. Bulldogs gon' be stylin' & profilin' in 2037 (maybe). I guess "soon" is a relative term.

http://samfordcrimson.com/campus-master-plan/

youcanbankit
March 1st, 2017, 05:39 PM
Yessir. It's all right here in black & white. Stadium upgrades planned for Phase IV (of IV) of the 20 year master plan, qualified by "as funds are made available." Read "as" as "if" in that sentence. Bulldogs gon' be stylin' & profilin' in 2037 (maybe). I guess "soon" is a relative term.

LOL....other money on the way. Smaller upgrades to be installed until 2037....

youcanbankit
March 1st, 2017, 05:58 PM
I think that you need to check up on how punt stats are kept. His #3 or #4 rank was based on his gross average, unaffected by coverage. Samford was 2nd in net punt average for the conference, so coverage was not an issue.

This is what I was referring toooooooo....

Samford Rank
Kick Off Returns Last
Net Punting #2
Punt Returns #5
Punt Return Defense #4
Field Goal % #5
Field Goals Per Game #5
No punts returned for a TD

FUBeAR
March 1st, 2017, 06:07 PM
Samford Rank
No punts returned for a TD

Punts returned for TD's are exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqKQSm6aOB8

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2017, 07:00 AM
Excellent question. You could be exactly right. The stats do tell a story. Here is my take. While at Valdosta State, a place he was able to stay for a number of years he was 76-12. He was given full support of the university along with being in a geographic hotbed of talent. That definitely helped. The next two years the VS team went 13-1 and 9-3 continuing to win with his recruits after he left. When he went to Georgia Southern, he was not allowed to stay long enough to get his players developed. In 3 years his record was not stellar, and GS did not like the air raid style of offense, but the next three years GS went 10-5, 11-3, and 10-4 with his recruits. Again located in a geographic area with a lot of football talent. He recruited very well. He was let go too early. My take.

He then took a job at a basketball school and got into a system that just did not want to build a football program. All about basketball and he was not in a great geographic area for football talent. Murray State just did not sell itself to football athletes. IMO he was pushing a bad position. Due to poor recruiting efforts, he could not turn that program around but I think he learned a lot in that situation, about what works for him and what doesn't. Since coming to Samford, he returns to a geographic area that has a lot of talent, can still recruit in Georgia and Florida very easily and can leverage his contacts. Samford also has a strong AD and the administration is slowly coming around to football being the number 1 or 2 sport at Samford. In the past its been basketball, baseball, tennis, then football.

Three other reasons.....1.)He knows how to develop young coaches..... which he has a couple right now that are going to be great the next few years. He did give Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp their start. 2.) Is one of the original minds of the air raid offense, spread style offense. 3.) He knows how to recruit. If allowed to stay the next 3 years, folks will see the kind of coach he can be. He needs at least 5 years to get his offense and his players anchored. He will be young this year but will win 9 games. Should be enough to win the SoCon.

IMO...For him to be successful, he needs the right environment (Like all coaches)......1.)Needs to be in a geographic area to compete and recruit. He is a southern guy that relates to the southern working class kids. 2.) Needs a defensive guru to take control of the defense and own it, not his forte. 3.) Needs support, trust and time from the administration. I think he has that at Samford. 4.) Needs to bring in more of a hard nosed player that has talent, cant win with a soft style of player in the SoCon. He is doing these things and more. Proof will be in the numbers the next few years....

Just as a response:

1. It is hard to compare what Hatcher did at Valdosta State 15 years ago. Recruiting, frankly, is much easier. VSU is in arguably one of the most talent rich areas in the country for football at a school that probably has a fraction of the recruiting restrictions that Samford has.

2. I don't know if it is fair to say that he knows how to develop young coaches because he gave Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp "their start." Muschamp is actually older than Hatcher, and VSU was his third coaching stop and only for one season. Smart was there two years, and then went to Florida State as a graduate assistant.

3. No question that he is well versed in the air raid. At the D1 level, though, air raid teams have middling success. They put up staggering offensive numbers, but rarely will challenge for a title. I'll admit to being wrong, but you just don't see teams running that offense still standing at the end of the season.

4. The air raid - at least from what I see - tends to also carry around weak defensive teams. Not that they don't have "tough" players, but those players never practice against a team that is going to roll up their sleeves and come right at them. The air raid is a lot of things, but at its core, it is an offense predicated on space and maneuverability. If that's all you see in practice, how do you prepare for a team that puts loads up the line of scrimmage and runs right at you over and over? Further, the offense moves quickly, which results in running your defense back on the field repeatedly even on scoring drives. Samford was league worst in time of possession.

5. I don't disagree with you that he wasn't handled well at Georgia Southern. GSU fans and administration handed him a triple option team and expected him to build a completely different system. He did, however, have an dynamic offensive player and had the wherewithall to put that player at QB.

I'll willingly admit that the air raid breaks the mold a bit. The offense doesn't care a lot about some of the traditional maxims of college football (run the ball, control the clock, etc.). I do think in leagues like the Big 12, where every team seems to throw it 50+ times a game, the offense can work long term because the whole league is trying to light up the scoreboard. Therefore, the disadvantages of the air raid are mitigated by the fact that every team is running an uptempo high scoring offense.

In the SoCon, however, the league is far more structured around "ground and pound." Even Furman, who threw it the second most times of any team last year, is moving back to a run heavy system with their new coaching staff. The open question, for me, is whether Samford and Hatcher will ever make the changes to slow the game down and renew the focus on defending the run on defense. There's a thought that "we do what we do," and that's fine. I just think "what we do" isn't going to lead to long term success in this iteration of the SoCon. Samford can have the best offense the league's ever seen, but I don't see them winning 9 games until they demonstrate they can stop the run on defense. To this point, they haven't and Chris Hatcher really never has.

youcanbankit
March 2nd, 2017, 08:27 AM
Punts returned for TD's are exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqKQSm6aOB8

Oooooh..... so this is what a punt return looks like?!?xbowx Haven't seen one of those in a while.

It would be nice to see one or two of those this year.

youcanbankit
March 2nd, 2017, 08:46 AM
Just as a response:

1. It is hard to compare what Hatcher did at Valdosta State 15 years ago. Recruiting, frankly, is much easier. VSU is in arguably one of the most talent rich areas in the country for football at a school that probably has a fraction of the recruiting restrictions that Samford has.

AGREE

2. I don't know if it is fair to say that he knows how to develop young coaches because he gave Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp "their start." Muschamp is actually older than Hatcher, and VSU was his third coaching stop and only for one season. Smart was there two years, and then went to Florida State as a graduate assistant.

He has an eye for talent in coaching. A number of his assistants are in power 5 schools.

3. No question that he is well versed in the air raid. At the D1 level, though, air raid teams have middling success. They put up staggering offensive numbers, but rarely will challenge for a title. I'll admit to being wrong, but you just don't see teams running that offense still standing at the end of the season.

If your talking pure air raid offenses, I would agree. But the spread, pro style, air raid and other throwing offenses are common and Clemson won the National championship this year using a combination attack.

4. The air raid - at least from what I see - tends to also carry around weak defensive teams. Not that they don't have "tough" players, but those players never practice against a team that is going to roll up their sleeves and come right at them. The air raid is a lot of things, but at its core, it is an offense predicated on space and maneuverability. If that's all you see in practice, how do you prepare for a team that puts loads up the line of scrimmage and runs right at you over and over? Further, the offense moves quickly, which results in running your defense back on the field repeatedly even on scoring drives. Samford was league worst in time of possession.

True. The pure air raid teams do. They spend a lot of time defending the pass and yards after catch. They tend to be softer in the front four.

5. I don't disagree with you that he wasn't handled well at Georgia Southern. GSU fans and administration handed him a triple option team and expected him to build a completely different system. He did, however, have an dynamic offensive player and had the wherewithall to put that player at QB.

I'll willingly admit that the air raid breaks the mold a bit. The offense doesn't care a lot about some of the traditional maxims of college football (run the ball, control the clock, etc.). I do think in leagues like the Big 12, where every team seems to throw it 50+ times a game, the offense can work long term because the whole league is trying to light up the scoreboard. Therefore, the disadvantages of the air raid are mitigated by the fact that every team is running an uptempo high scoring offense.

True. A combination seems to be whats working now. I think you will see more balance this year in the SoCon.

In the SoCon, however, the league is far more structured around "ground and pound." Even Furman, who threw it the second most times of any team last year, is moving back to a run heavy system with their new coaching staff. The open question, for me, is whether Samford and Hatcher will ever make the changes to slow the game down and renew the focus on defending the run on defense. There's a thought that "we do what we do," and that's fine. I just think "what we do" isn't going to lead to long term success in this iteration of the SoCon. Samford can have the best offense the league's ever seen, but I don't see them winning 9 games until they demonstrate they can stop the run on defense. To this point, they haven't and Chris Hatcher really never has.

It has been a while, but Hatcher's defenses have been respectable at times. Highlight was in 2006 when his defense was ranked in the top 30 nationally and his special teams were ranked 3rd.

y

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2017, 09:54 AM
Again, if you are using Valdosta State as an example, I'm not sure that holds water. That is a different league, different competition level, different recruiting, and not to mention, 10 years ago. It is not particularly a compelling argument (to me) to say that your coach had a good defense once 11 years ago playing at a lower division of football as evidence why his historically bad defensive teams are going to be good this year.

Clemson is not a fair comp either. Clemson ran the ball roughly 40 times a game for 170+ per game. Samford runs it, on average, less than 27 for about 95 a game.

I'm not anti-Samford. I'm just highlighting what I've seen from them. I think to be a serious threat for a conference title and to proceed through the playoffs, they are going to have to run the ball and stop the run. Right now, they are essentially doing what Elon did. Good team, big offensive numbers lead by a system quarterback, would get squashed in big games against good teams.

youcanbankit
March 2nd, 2017, 10:26 AM
Again, if you are using Valdosta State as an example, I'm not sure that holds water. That is a different league, different competition level, different recruiting, and not to mention, 10 years ago. It is not particularly a compelling argument (to me) to say that your coach had a good defense once 11 years ago playing at a lower division of football as evidence why his historically bad defensive teams are going to be good this year.

Clemson is not a fair comp either. Clemson ran the ball roughly 40 times a game for 170+ per game. Samford runs it, on average, less than 27 for about 95 a game.

I'm not anti-Samford. I'm just highlighting what I've seen from them. I think to be a serious threat for a conference title and to proceed through the playoffs, they are going to have to run the ball and stop the run. Right now, they are essentially doing what Elon did. Good team, big offensive numbers lead by a system quarterback, would get squashed in big games against good teams.

I think you are right on target except for the original point of the original post.....

7 reasons Samford will win the SOCON in 2017

No. 2-4 is about maintaining and improving the offense. Including adding the ability to run the ball. This teams ability to win 7 games with virtually no run game is unheard of in the SoCon...astounding. That will improve this year. The team will be more balanced, more hard nosed, stronger and faster. Samford has 2 quarterbacks that are exceptional in this type of system, an Oline that will be seriously upgraded, and a set of running backs that are bigger, faster and experienced.

No. 5 above must improve and they are well on the way to doing just that. A lot of returning players, a lot of speed and hard nosed players/transfers entering the equation. The addition of coaches is really reshaping the approach. When this defense rises to #no 2 and the running game is improved, 9 wins will occur. Too much offense for it not to happen.

No. 6 & 7 The punter is improving year over year and will lead the SoCon this year as a senior. Special teams has to improve to help win the field position game and create opportunities for the offense and defense.

Last but not least, when these take shape as they already are, it places this coaching staff (No. 1) at the top of the SoCon. Hatcher has added some key young coaches that are making a tremendous impact already in his thinking and changes needed. Both have played at historic programs and have brought great ideas to the table. Add that to Hatcher and his existing coaching staff, you got something special coming. Just my opinion. Proof will be in the play on the field.

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2017, 11:26 AM
1. Completely subjective. I consider Mike Ayers the best coach in the conference.

2. As long as Samford runs that offense, they will have the quarterback with the most impressive numbers. Samford runs a hurry up and throws it a bunch. Hodges is always going to have staggering numbers (as Scott Riddle did the last time this offense showed up in the SoCon).

3. We will see. Again, you are assuming a leopard will change his spots.

4. Again, subjective. A bigger offensive line is not necessarily better. In fact, as others have pointed out, guys of that size playing FCS football were often overlooked at the FBS level for a reason (i.e., a flaw in their game).

5. Samford may end up the #2 defense in the league, but again, you are assuming the leopard changes his spots. That is, I highly doubt it.

6. I'm not sure that makes you better. Especially for a team that prides itself on not punting and without a good defense to utilize good field position on a punt.

7. Special teams is not what is keeping Samford from becoming a national player.

youcanbankit
March 2nd, 2017, 01:50 PM
1. Completely subjective. I consider Mike Ayers the best coach in the conference.

2. As long as Samford runs that offense, they will have the quarterback with the most impressive numbers. Samford runs a hurry up and throws it a bunch. Hodges is always going to have staggering numbers (as Scott Riddle did the last time this offense showed up in the SoCon).

3. We will see. Again, you are assuming a leopard will change his spots.

4. Again, subjective. A bigger offensive line is not necessarily better. In fact, as others have pointed out, guys of that size playing FCS football were often overlooked at the FBS level for a reason (i.e., a flaw in their game).

5. Samford may end up the #2 defense in the league, but again, you are assuming the leopard changes his spots. That is, I highly doubt it.

6. I'm not sure that makes you better. Especially for a team that prides itself on not punting and without a good defense to utilize good field position on a punt.

7. Special teams is not what is keeping Samford from becoming a national player.

Proof will be on the field.

FUBeAR
March 2nd, 2017, 02:12 PM
I think you are right on target except for the original point of the original post.....

No. 2-4 is about maintaining and improving the offense. Including adding the ability to run the ball. This teams ability to win 7 games with virtually no run game is unheard of in the SoCon...astounding. That will improve this year. The team will be more balanced, more hard nosed, stronger and faster. Samford has 2 quarterbacks that are exceptional in this type of system, an Oline that will be seriously upgraded, and a set of running backs that are bigger, faster and experienced.

No. 5 above must improve and they are well on the way to doing just that. A lot of returning players, a lot of speed and hard nosed players/transfers entering the equation. The addition of coaches is really reshaping the approach. When this defense rises to #no 2 and the running game is improved, 9 wins will occur. Too much offense for it not to happen.

No. 6 & 7 The punter is improving year over year and will lead the SoCon this year as a senior. Special teams has to improve to help win the field position game and create opportunities for the offense and defense.

Last but not least, when these take shape as they already are, it places this coaching staff (No. 1) at the top of the SoCon. Hatcher has added some key young coaches that are making a tremendous impact already in his thinking and changes needed. Both have played at historic programs and have brought great ideas to the table. Add that to Hatcher and his existing coaching staff, you got something special coming. Just my opinion. Proof will be in the play on the field.

Ahhh, I see now. This was an ASPIRATIONAL List & Thread you started. You must BELIEVE before you can ACHIEVE!

Nothing wrong with being a Homewood Homer! Look how it turned out for Cubs Fans...

youcanbankit
March 2nd, 2017, 03:01 PM
Ahhh, I see now. This was an ASPIRATIONAL List & Thread you started. You must BELIEVE before you can ACHIEVE!

Nothing wrong with being a Homewood Homer! Look how it turned out for Cubs Fans...

Ha! Funny! Proof will be there. You can no longer say it was a surprise since you heard it here months before the season. Wailins and Whoopins abound....xnodx

Thumper 76
March 2nd, 2017, 04:30 PM
As a general follower of FCS and an unbiased observer to this:

*Incredibly subjective at best for a team that seems to underperform compared to its expectations most years.*
*Tons of yards doesn't always mean the best. Not saying he isn't, I don't know the SoCon qbs well enough, but I don't think Briscoe at SHSU is the best qb coming back and he put up ridiculous numbers. The system has to be taken into account.*
*I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but another claim that doesn't hold much water until proven otherwise. Are there any quotes from Hatcher at least stating this is a goal for next year?*
*Big is good, but it doesn't mean they are good players.*
*Another wild claim backed up only by your assertions. The Furman poster who mentioned the grittiness that tends to lack in a air raid teams defense due to what they practice against is something I 100% believe in.*
*From what I've seen from other SoCon posters this doesn't seem to have any factual backing to date.*
*And another wild claim.*
*Running the ball is one part having the skill and one per having the nasty mentality needed to impose your will on the other team. That's something that is difficult for team that pass a ton to be able to have from the different mindset in most pass blocking compared to run blocking. That's why most pass heavy teams don't run the ball well often when they need to chew up the clock at the end of the game.*

Ha! Funny! Proof will be there. You can no longer say it was a surprise since you heard it here months before the season. Wailins and Whoopins abound....xnodx

So, did Chattown decide to switch allegiances and stop swearing or something? Also noticed you didn't choose to respond to having a kid on the team....

Milktruck74
March 2nd, 2017, 05:40 PM

Will you still be here in November?

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 08:47 AM

So, did Chattown decide to switch allegiances and stop swearing or something? Also noticed you didn't choose to respond to having a kid on the team....

I did respond on the kid on the team. I like Samford due to Hatcher being there and the improvements to THE PROGRAM. Great addition of players the past two years, transfers and recruits. The addition of young coaches and new thinking that Hatcher is integrating into the program. Changes to his offense, defense and special teams. The AD and administration is more supportive, which helps a ton. I am telling you these guys are going to be big, strong, fast and tough. As far as quarterbacks, he has two guys that can sling it. They can throw a bb through an Oring at 50 yards.xnodx They picked up one of the top backs in the nation from the 2014 class as a transfer and their Oline is going to be something to see. When you have guys this size, this strong and fast, that play on film with that next level of toughness, they are going to be tough to handle for 4 quarters. Defense will be improved and so will special teams. When you play teams like UTC, The Citadel, Wofford, Furman, UGA, etc., it eliv8's what is needed to win. No cake walk by any means, but with changes versus last year at 7 wins, I pick them to win 2 more games this year than last year. With that said, they win the southern conference when they get to 9 wins. Plus you have some change going on at a couple of the key programs this year which could help the cause. Just an opinion, but the data and film says look for Samford this year.

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 08:49 AM
Will you still be here in November?

Yes Sir. You can bank it! LOL

PaladinFan
March 3rd, 2017, 10:29 AM
I did respond on the kid on the team. I like Samford due to Hatcher being there and the improvements to THE PROGRAM. Great addition of players the past two years, transfers and recruits. The addition of young coaches and new thinking that Hatcher is integrating into the program. Changes to his offense, defense and special teams. The AD and administration is more supportive, which helps a ton. I am telling you these guys are going to be big, strong, fast and tough. As far as quarterbacks, he has two guys that can sling it. They can throw a bb through an Oring at 50 yards.xnodx They picked up one of the top backs in the nation from the 2014 class as a transfer and their Oline is going to be something to see. When you have guys this size, this strong and fast, that play on film with that next level of toughness, they are going to be tough to handle for 4 quarters. Defense will be improved and so will special teams. When you play teams like UTC, The Citadel, Wofford, Furman, UGA, etc., it eliv8's what is needed to win. No cake walk by any means, but with changes versus last year at 7 wins, I pick them to win 2 more games this year than last year. With that said, they win the southern conference when they get to 9 wins. Plus you have some change going on at a couple of the key programs this year which could help the cause. Just an opinion, but the data and film says look for Samford this year.

http://reactionimage.org/img/gallery/9325080020.jpg

1. Everyone likes their recruiting class. They always look good until they get on the field.

2. As noted earlier, transfers don't impress me. Few are game changers. Most are just simply not good enough to play where they were (see: 1 above)

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 12:53 PM
1. Everyone likes their recruiting class. They always look good until they get on the field.

2. As noted earlier, transfers don't impress me. Few are game changers. Most are just simply not good enough to play where they were (see: 1 above)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24710&stc=1

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/20150404/5192840/lebowski-agression-o.gif

As far as number 2 you may be right...but their film looks killer. I dont think that will be the case. You are THE DUDE!

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 12:55 PM

Why is your buffalo crying?

Thumper 76
March 3rd, 2017, 01:10 PM
Why is your buffalo crying?

I'm an SDSU fan. I lost a bet that ended up with that picture, then IBleedYellow won the rights to choosing my avatar, and a mutual friend still had that photo. So the crying Bison I enjoy, my avatar no so much. Thanks for reminding me, I get to change it now!

FUBeAR
March 3rd, 2017, 02:28 PM
I did respond on the kid on the team.

Didn't - Just gave a non-answer worthy of Political Office (See Posts #100 and #103 for reference)...

http://static.politifact.com.s3.amazonaws.com/rulings/tom-mostlyfalse.gif

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 02:52 PM
Didn't - Just gave a non-answer worthy of Political Office (See Posts #100 and #103 for reference)...

http://static.politifact.com.s3.amazonaws.com/rulings/tom-mostlyfalse.gif

No is not a non-answer.
I have NO young goats on the team. There..... you happy?:)

FUBeAR
March 3rd, 2017, 03:44 PM
No is not a non-answer.
I have NO young goats on the team. There..... you happy?:)

Sorry, I still think all of your Sammy love IS centered around the fact that you DO have a young goat on the Team. Hey, it's just human that you would nateurleey support the program. I've been there. Still there, and now that my 'goat' is done playing at Mercer I can go back to supporting my original SoCon Team as well. You surely don't need to ID yourself. No reason for that at all, but it's hard to hide that when the agenda seems so clear.

I could be wrong...wouldn't be the 1st time...PaladinFan won an argument against me...once. :D

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 06:21 PM
Sorry, I still think all of your Sammy love IS centered around the fact that you DO have a young goat on the Team. Hey, it's just human that you would nateurleey support the program. I've been there. Still there, and now that my 'goat' is done playing at Mercer I can go back to supporting my original SoCon Team as well. You surely don't need to ID yourself. No reason for that at all, but it's hard to hide that when the agenda seems so clear.

I could be wrong...wouldn't be the 1st time...PaladinFan won an argument against me...once. :D

LOL....you are incorrect again. 2nd argument lost.

youcanbankit
March 11th, 2017, 06:42 AM

LOL....other money on the way. Smaller upgrades to be installed until 2037....

Found this on the internet. Samford stadium phase 1 complete by 2018 season. We shall see....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24738&stc=1

FUBeAR
March 11th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Samford stadium phase 1 complete by 2018 season.

Source?

youcanbankit
March 11th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Source?

footballboards.com

PaladinFan
March 11th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Who is going to sit in all those seats?

youcanbankit
March 11th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Who is going to sit in all those seats?

Ha! Nice! The way it looks now...... NFL and CFL scouts...xcoolxxbandwagonx

FUBeAR
March 11th, 2017, 12:02 PM
footballboards.com

So...as expected, just more of the CREATIVE stylings from the IMAGINATIVE keyboard of youcanwankit

youcanbankit
March 11th, 2017, 12:03 PM
So...as expected, just more of the CREATIVE stylings from the IMAGINATIVE keyboard of youcanwankit

poobear...your so mean.....xbawlingx its out there. I can t remember where it came from. That's what happens when you get old. You will find out one day....

FUBeAR
March 11th, 2017, 12:24 PM
poobear...your so mean.....xbawlingx its out there. I can t remember where it came from. That's what happens when you get old. You will find out one day....

If it's "out there," point us to it. You had no difficulty remembering to post a CONCEPTUAL RENDERING. If that CONCEPTUAL RENDERING actually has an expected completion date of 2018, you should easily be able to identify the source.

As stated in the source I cited, the FACTS are...that CONCEPTUAL RENDERING has no expected completion date (outside of youcantankit world). The funds to render it (actually) have not been attained, and it's just part of a 20 year plan...maybe...if someone donates the money; someday.

youcanbankit
March 11th, 2017, 12:35 PM
If it's "out there," point us to it. You had no difficulty remembering to post a CONCEPTUAL RENDERING. If that CONCEPTUAL RENDERING actually has an expected completion date of 2018, you should easily be able to identify the source.

As stated in the source I cited, the FACTS are...that CONCEPTUAL RENDERING has no expected completion date (outside of youcantankit world). The funds to render it (actually) have not been attained, and it's just part of a 20 year plan...maybe...if someone donates the money; someday.

pootbear.....Its out there. I downloaded the photo. I was searching football forum boards. Don't remember the source. That almost hurt my feeling. I love myself and love you too.

Your source is much more reliable. Lets go with it. Just sharing a little more information found. Cant verify it, since I cant remember where it was. Somebody made a drawing and had 2018 in the verbiage. That much I remember. Lol....Sad to get old.

vestaviadude
March 11th, 2017, 10:17 PM
If anyone finds it out there please post it. I would like to see it. If not, I guess 2037?....:(

DoWe
March 12th, 2017, 01:01 AM
youcanspankit strikes me as a newbie to SoCon affairs. Sammy winning it this year? Two words, show me. I will still be around come time to determine playoff teams. My work here is done for a while.

youcanbankit
March 12th, 2017, 02:34 PM
youcanspankit strikes me as a newbie to SoCon affairs. Sammy winning it this year? Two words, show me. I will still be around come time to determine playoff teams. My work here is done for a while.

I hear you. When I posted this I had no idea of the non-love for Samford winning it or for Hatcher. Definitely a newbie to the forum. I am learning.

DoWe
March 12th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I hear you. When I posted this I had no idea of the non-love for Samford winning it or for Hatcher. Definitely a newbie to the forum. I am learning.
Quickly out of hiatus to clarify my post was not about non-love for Sammy. It's about non-accomplishment to date on Sammy's part. Your projections are irrelevant. Meaningful results are the only thing that matters. When you have those start beating your chest. Until then I suggest you take a more humble approach amongst the SoCon crowd. FWIW, if Sammy wins the FCS Championship this year I will be 100% behind them.

Bison56
March 14th, 2017, 02:09 PM
2 chattowns in the SOCON?

PaladinFan
March 14th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Quickly out of hiatus to clarify my post was not about non-love for Sammy. It's about non-accomplishment to date on Sammy's part. Your projections are irrelevant. Meaningful results are the only thing that matters. When you have those start beating your chest. Until then I suggest you take a more humble approach amongst the SoCon crowd. FWIW, if Sammy wins the FCS Championship this year I will be 100% behind them.

Correct. Has nothing do to with disliking Samford or Chris Hatcher.

Objectively, Samford has done very little to warrant heaps of pre-season praise, especially over those programs currently in the conference that actually have done things late in the season and in the post season. They may kill it this year, but that is not necessarily indicative based on past results.

This board is a pretty reasonable place for those that tend to state their opinion as opinion, and not as fact.

FUBeAR
March 14th, 2017, 03:27 PM
This board is a pretty reasonable place for those that tend to state their opinion as opinion, and not as fact.

The fact is that your opinions have always been wrong. :D

...but, I'm pretty sure we will start agreeing A LOT more this season. xnodx

SU DOG
March 15th, 2017, 08:24 AM
I will not join my friends in their exuberant optimism just yet. Our Bulldogs have a lot to prove, even though, IMO, the talent is there for a VERY good season. My only reason for posting again here is to inform about the stadium upgrade. Seibert Stadium will have very few additional seats, even with the enclosing of the north end zone. Better seating, restroom facilities, and connecting the two sides of the stadium are the objectives here. It is my understanding that this first phase will indeed be finished by 2018, but the more costly press box replacement will come later as funds are available. The upgrades will certainly provide Samford with a great facility in a truly beautiful setting.

youcanbankit
March 15th, 2017, 09:48 AM

I was not beating my chest on past accomplishments. Your statement of irrelevancy is just your opinion, which can also be considered irrelevant. I will hold to the prediction because its based on data not emotion. I think Samford's star is rising in a number of sports, especially football. I don't think the data says anything different. I am not predicting them to win the national championship, just the SoCon. Taking that recent data, the projection of the Bulldogs winning the SoCon is highly predictive. I tried to cover that in the analysis and discussions posted. Obviously, the play on the field will determine the final numbers. DoWe shall see.

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2017, 10:13 AM
I was not beating my chest on past accomplishments. Your statement of irrelevancy is just your opinion, which can also be considered irrelevant. I will hold to the prediction because its based on data not emotion. I think Samford's star is rising in a number of sports, especially football. I don't think the data says anything different. I am not predicting them to win the national championship, just the SoCon. Taking that recent data, the projection of the Bulldogs winning the SoCon is highly predictive. I tried to cover that in the analysis and discussions posted. Obviously, the play on the field will determine the final numbers. DoWe shall see.

Yeah, but what recent data? You have big offensive linemen?

The recent data would indicate what most folks on here are reiterating - Samford will put up big passing numbers, not run the ball particularly well, not stop the run particularly well, and give up a bunch of points. In fact, you can pretty well find that trend in every team Chris Hatcher has coached at this level.

Now, there's an open question on whether that will be enough to win a SoCon title. To quote Ernest Joseph Anastasio, III - "Maybe so, maybe not."

youcanbankit
March 15th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Correct. Has nothing do to with disliking Samford or Chris Hatcher.

Objectively, Samford has done very little to warrant heaps of pre-season praise, especially over those programs currently in the conference that actually have done things late in the season and in the post season. They may kill it this year, but that is not necessarily indicative based on past results.

I agree the forum is for opinion, but disagree with some of the other points. Samford winning the SoCon is a predictive opinion and I understand disrupts the status quo. I understand the hesitancy to make a prediction that does that, since it can be viewed as challenging the old guard. It is not a personal attack on anyone or their "forum authority." I am hearing arguments that are heard everyday in business..."How long have you been here"? or You must be new to the forum, you haven't been here long enough to post that"? or Your picking them because your personally vested, your kid is there"? or "Your posting under multiple names"? All of these are meant to undermine the opinion maker, not offer your own opinion or prediction. These are all known as classic misdirection given because folks wont or cant offer their own substantive prediction, or because its contrary to their own belief so they just want to undermine it. The democrats and republicans have been doing that for years. . Its easy to criticize others opinions, when you don't state your own prediction/opinion. Only giving criticism, not offering your own solutions. What is interesting, is no one else has posted their predictions (first to last with wins and losses) or why they have their predictions. Personally I enjoy a diversity of everyone's opinion, each opinion matters.... to an extent.

youcanbankit
March 15th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Yeah, but what recent data? You have big offensive linemen?

The recent data would indicate what most folks on here are reiterating - Samford will put up big passing numbers, not run the ball particularly well, not stop the run particularly well, and give up a bunch of points. In fact, you can pretty well find that trend in every team Chris Hatcher has coached at this level.

Now, there's an open question on whether that will be enough to win a SoCon title. To quote Ernest Joseph Anastasio, III - "Maybe so, maybe not."

You know I have said more than that. I wont reiterate again, all of the many reasons of how the program is morphing this year. Simple question....Whats your prediction?

youcanbankit
March 15th, 2017, 10:43 AM
I will not join my friends in their exuberant optimism just yet. Our Bulldogs have a lot to prove, even though, IMO, the talent is there for a VERY good season. My only reason for posting again here is to inform about the stadium upgrade. Seibert Stadium will have very few additional seats, even with the enclosing of the north end zone. Better seating, restroom facilities, and connecting the two sides of the stadium are the objectives here. It is my understanding that this first phase will indeed be finished by 2018, but the more costly press box replacement will come later as funds are available. The upgrades will certainly provide Samford with a great facility in a truly beautiful setting.

So it is true. Thank you for posting this. Have you seen a rendering picture of the changes? I saw something online, but when I went back to where I thought it was, I could not find it.

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2017, 11:21 AM
You know I have said more than that. I wont reiterate again, all of the many reasons of how the program is morphing this year. Simple question....Whats your prediction?

I read what you said. Your "reasons" are subjective opinions stated as objective fact. They aren't. They are still opinions.

citdog
March 15th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Whats your prediction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

youcanbankit
March 15th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I read what you said. Your "reasons" are subjective opinions stated as objective fact. They aren't. They are still opinions.

Still no prediction? What say ye?

FUBeAR
March 15th, 2017, 07:12 PM
SoCon Football 2017 Projected Results

Team
SoCon Record
Pct
Overall Regular
Season Record
Pct

Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
7-4

ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
7-4

Furman (http://furmanpaladins.collegesports.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
7-4

Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
7-4

Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
7-4

The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
7-4

VMI (http://www.vmikeydets.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
7-4

Western Carolina (http://catamountsports.collegesports.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
8-4

Wofford (http://athletics.wofford.edu/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
7-4

*All 9 SoCon Teams selected to FCS Playoff Field

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Still no prediction? What say ye?

It's March?

youcanbankit
March 15th, 2017, 11:49 PM

Team
SoCon Record
Pct
Home - Away
Overall Regular Season Record
Pct

Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
2-2
7-4

4-4
2-2
7-4

Furman (http://furmanpaladins.collegesports.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
2-2
7-4

Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
2-2
7-4

Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
2-2
7-4

The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
2-2
7-4

4-4
2-2
7-4

Western Carolina (http://catamountsports.collegesports.com/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
2-2
8-4

Wofford (http://athletics.wofford.edu/?SPSID=34747&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4000)
4-4
2-2
7-4

NICE!!!

walliver
March 16th, 2017, 07:34 AM

Team
SoCon Record
Pct
Overall Regular
Season Record
Pct

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
8-4

4-4
7-4

This would require the Citadel beating Clemson and Wofford beating South Carolina. In this scenario, which of the two teams would win the National Championship of the Sovereign State of South Carolina?
Fortunately for us, the visiting team won both times last year.

I guess WCU's extra win would give them the autobid.

PaladinFan
March 16th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Speaking of South Carolina teams -

I just took a look at Coastal's 2017 schedule. Almost a full slate of current, future, and recent FCS/1AA teams. http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-coastal-carolina-chanticleers-football-schedule.php

Explain to me again how that schedule is discernibly different from any FCS schedule?

FUBeAR
March 16th, 2017, 08:50 AM
This would require the Citadel beating Clemson and Wofford beating South Carolina. In this scenario, which of the two teams would win the National Championship of the Sovereign State of South Carolina?
Fortunately for us, the visiting team won both times last year.

I guess WCU's extra win would give them the autobid.

As my prediction (implied & post-editing of an earlier posted mistake) includes all SoCon Teams winning all of their Home Games, then, I'm sorry (VERY sorry), Walliver, but the Bellhops are going to take that crown this year - IF you are exempting Furman who beats the LuggageSchleppers, but loses to the AnkleBiters - and CCU, PC, and SC State. Maybe, though, your PorchYappers can get 'em back (again) in the 2017 Playoffs.

BTW - This prediction also includes Mercer beating Alabama, Auburn, and Samford. So...if we assume they beat JaxSt in the Playoffs, I guess the Bears could be Alabama State Champs (exempting UAB, USA, AL A&M, ALSt...and any others I missed).

As far as the SoCon AutoBid, WCU does play @ Hawaii, so they do get that extra game allowed by the NCAA, but I'm not sure if Overall Winning % is part of the SoCon tie-breaking formula. If so, then you are correct. If not, then my prediction is that Deep Blue will be retained to determine the SoCon AutoBid...and when it returns the blue screen of death, the FCS Selection Committee will grant AutoBids to all 9 SoCon Teams. And, all Teams & Fans of the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky will clearly see that this is the only reasonable solution and will support the Committee's decision 100%

youcanbankit
March 16th, 2017, 08:57 PM

Team
SoCon Record
Pct
Overall Regular
Season Record
Pct

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
7-4

4-4
8-4

4-4
7-4

I love this. No real picks, but love it.

youcanbankit
March 21st, 2017, 05:19 PM
It's March?

Still no prediction? Come on PF, what say ye?

PaladinFan
March 21st, 2017, 08:05 PM
Still no prediction? Come on PF, what say ye?

Still March.

youcanbankit
March 22nd, 2017, 08:14 AM
Still March.

I understand. That's a very careful and pusillanimous approach. Its just a prediction and us having fun.

Anyway...No rush. Join the fray if and when your up to it.

PaladinFan
March 22nd, 2017, 09:39 AM
I understand. That's a very careful and pusillanimous approach. Its just a prediction and us having fun.

Anyway...No rush. Join the fray if and when your up to it.

Let me put it this way.

I don't know enough about what the other teams in the SoCon are doing at this point in the season. I stay fairly well abreast of what Furman is doing, but with a new coaching staff and new systems, I am not completely sure how to even gauge the team I follow most closely.

I can go off what I've seen. At this point, my general thoughts are these:

1. WCU has some players, but they have a long way to go on defense. I don't know if one offseason will cure that problem.

2. Wofford is always tough to bet against.

3. Samford has as much talent as anyone, but I have reservations about their system and whether you can do what they do and have long term success or consistently beat good teams that punish your inability to stop the run.

4. I didn't think ETSU was very good last year, and showed very little fight against a bad Furman team. They then did better than expected against Samford and Mercer. Does that say more about ETSU, or more about Samford and Mercer? I have no idea.

5. I like VMI's tenacity, but they lose the guy that really carried their team the last few years. Obviously Al Cobb wasn't going to play forever, but how ready are the Keydets to move on without him?

6. I think UTC has lost a lot of its core players, and there is an open question on whether their window is closing or they have positioned themselves for long-term success. The loss of an alum coach to an FCS program is concerning coming off another good year.

7. I have no idea what Furman will look like. I think the Paladins have a good bit of talent, but coaching and execution have been lacking the last few years. With new coordinators and a new philosophy, I think Furman could make up ground extremely quickly. Then again, they may have a season or two of growing pains.

Generally speaking, I think you have to look at UTC, the Citadel, Wofford and Samford as the likely "favorites" going into 2017. Again, I don't think it is necessarily good for Samford to be in close competition with teams that run the ball well and are sound defensively. I think Furman and Mercer will start in that middle tier, but I believe the Paladins have the higher ceiling right now and could close the gap quickly. Mercer should be good, but I think has a little more uncertainty than Furman does. WCU is more talented than VMI and ETSU, but is less of a complete team than Mercer.

JSUSoutherner
March 22nd, 2017, 10:44 AM
As my prediction (implied & post-editing of an earlier posted mistake) includes all SoCon Teams winning all of their Home Games, then, I'm sorry (VERY sorry), Walliver, but the Bellhops are going to take that crown this year - IF you are exempting Furman who beats the LuggageSchleppers, but loses to the AnkleBiters - and CCU, PC, and SC State. Maybe, though, your PorchYappers can get 'em back (again) in the 2017 Playoffs.

BTW - This prediction also includes Mercer beating Alabama, Auburn, and Samford. So...if we assume they beat JaxSt in the Playoffs, I guess the Bears could be Alabama State Champs (exempting UAB, USA, AL A&M, ALSt...and any others I missed).

As far as the SoCon AutoBid, WCU does play @ Hawaii, so they do get that extra game allowed by the NCAA, but I'm not sure if Overall Winning % is part of the SoCon tie-breaking formula. If so, then you are correct. If not, then my prediction is that Deep Blue will be retained to determine the SoCon AutoBid...and when it returns the blue screen of death, the FCS Selection Committee will grant AutoBids to all 9 SoCon Teams. And, all Teams & Fans of the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky will clearly see that this is the only reasonable solution and will support the Committee's decision 100%
Yeah, ok. xrolleyesx

walliver
March 22nd, 2017, 11:03 AM
far as the SoCon AutoBid, WCU does play @ Hawaii, so they do get that extra game allowed by the NCAA, but I'm not sure if Overall Winning % is part of the SoCon tie-breaking formula. If so, then you are correct. If not, then my prediction is that Deep Blue will be retained to determine the SoCon AutoBid...and when it returns the blue screen of death, the FCS Selection Committee will grant AutoBids to all 9 SoCon Teams. And, all Teams & Fans of the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky will clearly see that this is the only reasonable solution and will support the Committee's decision 100%
Actually, I already knew the answer. The tiebreaker in this case would be fewest points allowed in conference play. This would favor a ball-control team like Wofford or the Citadel, or possibly the new Furman.

FUBeAR
March 22nd, 2017, 01:11 PM
Actually, I already knew the answer. The tiebreaker in this case would be fewest points allowed in conference play. This would favor a ball-control team like Wofford or the Citadel, or possibly the new Furman.

So...if we assume 2017 will be exactly like 2016, Woffy, with their 'bookend' shutouts of ETSU & VMI, gets the AutoBid and then the NCAA Committee can use this info for seeding the 9 SoCon Teams in the 2017 Playoffs

Rank/Seed
Team/Game#
Total
Total/Game

Woffy

El Cid

Chatt

FU

Sammy

MU

VMI

ETSU

WCU

youcanbankit
March 22nd, 2017, 11:01 PM
So...if we assume 2017 will be exactly like 2016, Woffy, with their 'bookend' shutouts of ETSU & VMI, gets the AutoBid and then the NCAA Committee can use this info for seeding the 9 SoCon Teams in the 2017 Playoffs

Rank/Seed
Team/Game#
Total
Total/Game

Woffy

El Cid

Chatt

FU

Sammy

MU

VMI

ETSU

WCU

Nice stats. If Samford has a similar improvement on defense this year as they did last year, very feasible they move to the #2 defense in the SoCon. Interesting stat lines....

youcanbankit
March 22nd, 2017, 11:02 PM

Very true....

youcanbankit
March 22nd, 2017, 11:15 PM

The rumor is that Wofford's starting FG kicker/Punter in 2016 is transferring to Georgia? This kid was good. Will that make much of an impact this year?

FUBeAR
March 23rd, 2017, 04:21 AM
Nice stats. If Samford has a similar improvement on defense this year as they did last year, very feasible they move to the #2 defense in the SoCon. Interesting stat lines....

Sammy had 2 SoCon games in the middle of the 2015 season, in the midst of a QB change, which I believe was ripping apart their locker room (even though it was clearly the right move & in fact, I predicted both the change & the associated strife very well might happen (check the Sammy board) during the 2015 pre-season)), resulting in a Defense that just did not show up those 2 weeks, and they gave up 100 points. Take out those 2 'out-lier' games and they gave up 22.4 pts/SoCon game in 2015...which places them in 5th place place on this list...right about where they were in 2016. I know what the numbers say, and I like stats, but stats should always be considered in context and assessed along with observation. Other than clearly not showing up for 2 games in 2016 as they did(n't) in 2015, I didn't see any marked improvement in Sammy's D last season.

walliver
March 23rd, 2017, 06:18 AM
The rumor is that Wofford's starting FG kicker/Punter in 2016 is transferring to Georgia? This kid was good. Will that make much of an impact this year?

He has graduated and accepted a scholarship at UGA. It is definitely a loss.

He was a difference maker in the Furman game with two 57 yard field goals.

Unfortunately, down the stretch he missed potential game winning field goals in the first Citadel game and against Youngstown State. I tend to blame the Youngstown miss on poor coaching strategy. Instead of running our normal offense to get closer, Ayers was content to play it safe with the hope of a long field goal. It was a very cold day and the weather apparently had affected the YSU kicker earlier in the game.

youcanbankit
March 23rd, 2017, 10:03 AM
Sammy had 2 SoCon games in the middle of the 2015 season, in the midst of a QB change, which I believe was ripping apart their locker room (even though it was clearly the right move & in fact, I predicted both the change & the associated strife very well might happen (check the Sammy board) during the 2015 pre-season)), resulting in a Defense that just did not show up those 2 weeks, and they gave up 100 points. Take out those 2 'out-lier' games and they gave up 22.4 pts/SoCon game in 2015...which places them in 5th place place on this list...right about where they were in 2016. I know what the numbers say, and I like stats, but stats should always be considered in context and assessed along with observation. Other than clearly not showing up for 2 games in 2016 as they did(n't) in 2015, I didn't see any marked improvement in Sammy's D last season.

As always, good points. IMO...There were guys out hurt this year, broken hands, wrists, ankles, flu, sick, etc. Definitely impacted certain games on both sides of the ball. You have issues like that every year that impacts you from game to game. If you take those into consideration this year you could argue they move up to #3 or #4. The opposing teams offenses/defenses have issues too, and have something to say about it game to game, year to year as well. I get your point though.

I like stats as well and IMO in a lot of instances they help define the context of what happened (past tense) when observation may have missed some things. Data is data. It speaks for itself. Its a leading or lagging indicator or predictor, but not the final say. To your point, that's why we play the games. The story behind the data is where the game is won and lost. Stats do matter and are important, especially the wins and losses stat, and the score. lol :)

I like the stats you posted. Nice work.xsmileyclapx

PaladinFan
March 24th, 2017, 06:37 AM

Michael Eubank is probably Exhibit A of why I care very little about what transfers are coming to a team. As I've argued before, many guys that are transferring are losing playing time because they simply are not that good.

Just because you were a highly regarded high school player does not mean you are going to be a highly regarded college player. Many of these guys are simply just much better athletes then their competition at the high school level, and their flaws become exposed as they move to bigger and faster competition.

PaladinFan
March 24th, 2017, 06:43 AM
He has graduated and accepted a scholarship at UGA. It is definitely a loss.

He was a difference maker in the Furman game with two 57 yard field goals.

Unfortunately, down the stretch he missed potential game winning field goals in the first Citadel game and against Youngstown State. I tend to blame the Youngstown miss on poor coaching strategy. Instead of running our normal offense to get closer, Ayers was content to play it safe with the hope of a long field goal. It was a very cold day and the weather apparently had affected the YSU kicker earlier in the game.

Another game that I think exhibits Furman's ability to be "back" somewhat quickly. Probably three times last year in conference play did Furman manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (Wofford, the Citadel, Mercer).

The Wofford game was a shining example of some of my frustrations with the Bruce Fowler era, where the team was good enough to hang around, but had a real issue executing at the end of halves.

kdinva
March 24th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Probably three times last year in conference play did Furman manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... .

Same thing in Lexington..... xbawlingx

youcanbankit
March 24th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Another game that I think exhibits Furman's ability to be "back" somewhat quickly. Probably three times last year in conference play did Furman manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (Wofford, the Citadel, Mercer).

I agree. IMO....Furman finishes in the top 4 in the SoCon in 2017 and top 30 nationally by year end..... as long as the NCAA and coaches view the non conference strength of schedule as adequate. Now thats how you make a prediction....:D

PaladinFan
March 24th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I agree. IMO....Furman finishes in the top 4 in the SoCon in 2017 and top 30 nationally by year end..... as long as the NCAA and coaches view the non conference strength of schedule as adequate. Now thats how you make a prediction....:D

I have said it a bunch, but I don't think Furman is "that far" away from competing. I don't watch the games and see a lack of talent. I see poor execution from the coaches down to the players.

Slightly improved play last year and Furman is probably over .500 against the toughest schedule they've had in years. This year's schedule is much less intimidating.

citdog
March 24th, 2017, 01:59 PM
furman sucks

dixiechs
March 27th, 2017, 04:23 PM
i had to reply. sorry.

Let me put it this way.

I can go off what I've seen. At this point, my general thoughts are these:

1. WCU has some players, but they have a long way to go on defense. I don't know if one offseason will cure that problem. Dont know, dont care

2. Wofford is always tough to bet against. tough,but beatable

3. Samford has as much talent as anyone, but I have reservations about their system and whether you can do what they do and have long term success or consistently beat good teams that punish your inability to stop the run. run game coming, which improves defense against the run.plus an offense that is hard to stop....

4. I didn't think ETSU was very good last year, and showed very little fight against a bad Furman team. They then did better than expected against Samford and Mercer. Does that say more about ETSU, or more about Samford and Mercer? I have no idea. poor team that had one phenomenally lucky game

5. I like VMI's tenacity, but they lose the guy that really carried their team the last few years. Obviously Al Cobb wasn't going to play forever, but how ready are the Keydets to move on without him? well, i cant say i am not biased..scrappy team that is changing mentality..and they will be just A-ok at qb.mark it down

6. I think UTC has lost a lot of its core players, and there is an open question on whether their window is closing or they have positioned themselves for long-term success. The loss of an alum coach to an FCS program is concerning coming off another good year. good program, but lost a ton

7. I have no idea what Furman will look like. I think the Paladins have a good bit of talent, but coaching and execution have been lacking the last few years. With new coordinators and a new philosophy, I think Furman could make up ground extremely quickly. Then again, they may have a season or two of growing pains. no clue

Generally speaking, I think you have to look at UTC, the Citadel, Wofford and Samford as the likely "favorites" going into 2017. agreed Again, I don't think it is necessarily good for Samford to be in close competition with teams that run the ball well and are sound defensively.that will be the big change I think Furman and Mercer will start in that middle tier, but I believe the Paladins have the higher ceiling right now and could close the gap quickly. Mercer should be good, but I think has a little more uncertainty than Furman does. WCU is more talented than VMI and ETSU, but is less of a complete team than Mercer. VMI is the dark horse. new coaching staff, new mentality,more talent.

kdinva
March 27th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Let me put it this way.

5. I like VMI's tenacity, but they lose the guy that really carried their team the last few years. Obviously Al Cobb wasn't going to play forever, but how ready are the Keydets to move on without him?

VMI will be OK at the QB position.....3 good players in competition for the starting job. New O-Line Coach, from UConn's staff, and is already an upgrade. New D- line Coach, staffer at Duke, Woffy grad (so he knows the importance of classwork, etc). A better than average corps of receivers, two good newcomers to take the roster spots of Sanders and Forlines. Depth at HB, the best LB group in the SoCon....

youcanbankit
March 28th, 2017, 11:20 AM
i had to reply. sorry.

Two talented athletes in one family. Two schools...Very cool.

youcanbankit
March 30th, 2017, 05:23 AM

First look at the Oline changes......BIG, on Big, Fast On Fast....
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24801&stc=1

FUBeAR
March 30th, 2017, 06:16 AM

Looks like about 6' 4-1/2" 285 to me. http://samfordsports.com/documents/2017/3/24/2017_Spring_Numerical_Roster.pdf

OMG - That's HUGE! ENORMOUS!! Cancel-the-season-and-declare-the-Bullpups-FCS-National-Champions BIG!!!

(the 6'4" 260 QB is impressive though. How does his arm strength, release time, and pocket presence look so far?)

citdog
March 30th, 2017, 12:52 PM

fat and slow is closer to the truth

youcanbankit
March 30th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Looks like about 6' 4-1/2" 285 to me. http://samfordsports.com/documents/2017/3/24/2017_Spring_Numerical_Roster.pdf

OMG - That's HUGE! ENORMOUS!! Cancel-the-season-and-declare-the-Bullpups-FCS-National-Champions BIG!!!

(the 6'4" 260 QB is impressive though. How does his arm strength, release time, and pocket presence look so far?)

Laughing Out Loud!!! Not quite National champs, but definitely bigger, meaner and much faster. 3 of the 5 pictured are the 2nd team guys. Wait till you see the real thing.....graduating from Bullpups to Bulldogs this year...Gonna be fun to watch!

youcanbankit
March 30th, 2017, 02:46 PM
fat and slow is closer to the truth

The firestorm is coming.....lol

citdog
March 30th, 2017, 02:58 PM
The firestorm is coming.....lol

only when they visit here

https://img.clipartfox.com/ee76230288b14578654eafa51ce0c6e7_golden-corral-wants-to-feed-golden-corral_2048-1536.jpeg

FUBeAR
March 30th, 2017, 03:06 PM
3 of the 5 pictured are the 2nd team guys

Awesome posting work then!

I'll see if I can find and post some pics of Furman's Intramural Co-Rec Flag Football Finals or Mercer's Robotics Competition. I know all of the peeps on this board would be just as excited to see those as they are to get such a good look at Sammy's backup O-Line's hindquarters during a Spring Practice drill... xthumbsupx

Another thing I do see quite clearly though - they all have 100% of their weight on their heels; just a-yearnin' to start taking 6 or 8 backward 'defeat steps' as fast as they can...Sammy's running game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xDIDvlH2jg

youcanbankit
March 30th, 2017, 07:39 PM
only when they visit here

LOL!!! I was thinking of a different firestorm....but thats good to know...!!

youcanbankit
March 30th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Awesome posting work then!

I'll see if I can find and post some pics of Furman's Intramural Co-Rec Flag Football Finals or Mercer's Robotics Competition. I know all of the peeps on this board would be just as excited to see those as they are to get such a good look at Sammy's backup O-Line's hindquarters during a Spring Practice drill... xthumbsupx

Another thing I do see quite clearly though - they all have 100% of their weight on their heels; just a-yearnin' to start taking 6 or 8 backward 'defeat steps' as fast as they can...Sammy's running game...

Ha!! lol!! your nuts.

PaladinFan
March 30th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Ha!! lol!! your nuts.

Post of the year.

youcanbankit
March 30th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Post of the year.

2nd best post of the yearxcoffeex

youcanbankit
April 6th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Samford has a new fan....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24830&stc=1

youcanbankit
April 7th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Citadel Coach not excited about his prospects for 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSAOMUQ_aCI

citdog
April 7th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Citadel Coach not excited about his prospects for 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSAOMUQ_aCI

Games are played in the fall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFrKnzh0huU

youcanbankit
April 7th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Games are played in the fall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFrKnzh0huU

Oh the good old days.....how it used to be....

youcanbankit
April 7th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Post of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bu4Mb3oGkE

Better??? Took this from the citdog playbook.....lol

ElCid
April 7th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Oh the good old days.....how it used to be....

It was an amazing game in a season full of amazing games for us.

youcanbankit
April 8th, 2017, 07:55 AM
It was an amazing game in a season full of amazing games for us.

All kidding aside, your coach seems to really know what he is doing. I am sure he is just trying to motivate his team. He just seemed a little down and frustrated.

youcanbankit
April 12th, 2017, 06:58 PM
This is how I feel when the FCS teams start their football season. Every Saturday feels like this!

Start the video and wait 15 seconds then start the sound track!!!! Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpTj_Z9v-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bakJLAevo

youcanbankit
April 27th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Samford spring game and practice went better than expected. They are young, but they are looking really good. Much better than I expected this time of the year. Still a few kinks to work out, but wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRkdVr4m7rM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24915&stc=1

citdog
April 27th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Samford spring game and practice went better than expected. They are young, but they are looking really good. Much better than I expected this time of the year. Still a few kinks to work out, but wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRkdVr4m7rM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24915&stc=1

Even SAMFORD can run on your defense is what I saw there...

youcanbankit
April 27th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Yes sir. Running the ball. Amazing huh? Wait till you see these backs, they are bringing it. Oline is doing great as well. Defense is much improved. It was fast and furious Birmingham style!

citdog
April 27th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Yes sir. Running the ball. Amazing huh? Wait till you see these backs, they are bringing it. Oline is doing great as well. Defense is much improved. It was fast and furious Birmingham style!

That wasn't a compliment...

youcanbankit
April 27th, 2017, 09:03 PM
That wasn't a compliment...

i know....but I'm following the advice of the good old southern folks known as the Carter Family..."Keep on the Sunny Side"!

BEAR
April 28th, 2017, 08:23 AM
i know....but I'm following the advice of the good old southern folks known as the Carter Family..."Keep on the Sunny Side"!

Always look on the bright side of life...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/halleonard-pagepreviews/HL_DDS_0000000000133121.png

FUBeAR
April 28th, 2017, 11:57 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

youcanbankit
April 30th, 2017, 11:26 AM

LOL....Absolutely wrong song, the real deal posted below between this sentence and Mr. Rogers (you & fuBear's hero). ...your song probably works well at Mercer and UCA...

Real Lyrics
There's a dark and a troubled side of life;There's a bright and a sunny side, too;Tho' we meet with the darkness and strife,The sunny side we also may view.

[chorus]Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side,Keep on the sunny side of life;It will help us every day, it will brighten all the way,If we keep on the sunny side of life.

Tho' the storm in its fury break today,Crushing hopes that we cherished so dear,Storm and cloud will in time pass away,The sun again will shine bright and clear.

Let us greet with a song of hope each day,Tho' the moments be cloudy or fair;Let us trust in our Savior always,Who keepeth everyone in His care

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24931&stc=1

youcanbankit
April 30th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Congrats to Samford football players WR-Karel Hamilton (Bengals) and OG Armondo Bonheur (Giants) on signing NFL contracts. Its not where you start its where you finish! Congrats!

........http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24932&stc=1.................. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24933&stc=1

FUBeAR
April 30th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Mercer Offensive Lineman, Bret Niederreither, becomes the 1st Mercer Football Player in over 75 years to have an opportunity to play Professional Football. Outstanding young man from a great Family. Very proud of him!!

https://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/858816660576382977

youcanbankit
May 1st, 2017, 06:39 PM
Congrats to Royus Amos OL on getting a mini camp invitation....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24937&stc=1

youcanbankit
May 1st, 2017, 06:47 PM
Congrats to Jamerson Blount for receiving an invitation to the panthers mini camp.....

https://twitter.com/SamfordFootball/status/859144781909413888

youcanbankit
May 12th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Add Emmanuel Obajimi to the list.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24977&stc=1

https://twitter.com/SamfordFootball/status/860695858018480128