PDA

View Full Version : Is the relationship between will healy and 247 sports unethical?

chattownmocs
February 4th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Will healy has magically signed the "number 1" fcs recruiting class yet again and is using it to his advantage on the recruiting trail. While he is a great recruiter, it is quite obvious that they are throwing players a ranking just to get the austin peay team ranking to number 1. Is it wrong for his contact/s at 247 to manufacture these rankings on his behalf in an obvious attempt to give him an advantage?

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Trying to give a ****......can't. Star systems are beyond stupid...like a kid taking an offer to AP because "we have the top recruits", but are beyond terrible on the field.

RootinFerDukes
February 4th, 2017, 09:06 PM
When you're on a 27 game losing streak and have lost 45 of your last 46, you need all that you can get. It's kind of like when the worst NFL team gets the #1 pick, except that even the browns don't suck this much for this long. Just drop the program. You're making Rhode Island look like the Patriots.

chattownmocs
February 4th, 2017, 09:06 PM
While it is BS, particularly at this level. It is a selling point that will healy has been using for a few years now. I'm not sure it didn't help him land the austin peay job.

lionsrking2
February 4th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Will healy has magically signed the "number 1" fcs recruiting class yet again and is using it to his advantage on the recruiting trail. While he is a great recruiter, it is quite obvious that they are throwing players a ranking just to get the austin peay team ranking to number 1. Is it wrong for his contact/s at 247 to manufacture these rankings on his behalf in an obvious attempt to give him an advantage?

I'd worry more about it being a "coach killer" than being an advantage. Expectations will be through the roof with the supposed No. 1 class.

chattownmocs
February 4th, 2017, 09:12 PM
When you're on a 27 game losing streak and have lost 45 of your last 46, you need all that you can get. It's kind of like when the worst NFL team gets the #1 pick, except that even the browns don't suck this much for this long. Just drop the program. You're making Rhode Island look like the Patriots.

Well they aren't going to drop the program. And they are actually are improving their talent level by leaps and bounds and one of the ways they are doing it is by misrepresenting the caliber of players that they have gotten in the past and that they have committed to them.

lionsrking2
February 4th, 2017, 09:13 PM
While it is BS, particularly at this level. It is a selling point that will healy has been using for a few years now. I'm not sure it didn't help him land the austin peay job.

Nobody cares about that. NW State signed a couple of "No. 1" classes using Rivals ratings and it got their last two head coaches fired.

chattownmocs
February 4th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Nobody cares about that. NW State signed a couple of "No. 1" classes using Rivals ratings and it got their last two head coaches fired.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about. These recru ing websites may not be legitimate or accurate. But to say no one cares is idiotic. They are making millions of dollars. The fact that they aren't making any on fcs football is precisely why they feel they can just go in and give every one of their friends 25 signees a star ranking and no one will care. These players are obsessed with their ranking, they are going to camps just to improve that. It is an advantage, an unfair advantage, to be able to go in and say " we signed the number 1 recruiting class in the nation last year just look it up on 247."

lionsrking2
February 4th, 2017, 09:37 PM
You don't know what the hell you are talking about. These recru ing websites may not be legitimate or accurate. But to say no one cares is idiotic. They are making millions of dollars. The fact that they aren't making any on fcs football is precisely why they feel they can just go in and give every one of their friends 25 signees a star ranking and no one will care. These players are obsessed with their ranking, they are going to camps just to improve that. It is an advantage, an unfair advantage, to be able to go in and say " we signed the number 1 recruiting class in the nation last year just look it up on 247."

Obviously it's got your panties in a wad, that's why you posted, but if you truly believe it's a manufactured ranking due to a coaches relationship with 247, it'll show up on the field in due time. At the end of the day, the usual suspects will continue recruiting unrated or lowly rated players and will continue to be in the mix for championships. We'll see where APSU is in a couple of years. If they ascend to the top of the OVC, your concerns will have been validated ... if not, it'll be another coach killer ranking.

RootinFerDukes
February 4th, 2017, 10:40 PM
I totally thought this was just a troll attempt/joke thread. He's being serious?

centennial
February 5th, 2017, 01:49 AM
Most good coaches don't care what the players star rating is. That is unless you are called Alabama or Ohio State, even lower P5/ upper G5 schools care more about how the recruits play. It doesn't take that much to find a bunch of 2 and 3 stars without any D1 offers and then get them on to a D1 team. There is a reason that these recruits aren't getting attention- most probably they haven't been as good as thought, or parents spend a lot of money on camps getting their name out. NDSU certainly doesn't care about star ratings, look at Carson Wentz, Andrew Bonnet, and CJ Smith all on NFL rosters from the 2015 class, I think they were all unrated.

BisonTru
February 5th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Really? Austin Peay? They've won one football game in the last 4 years.

It might be unethical not to give them some kind of advantage at this point.

cx500d
February 5th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Really? Austin Peay? They've won one football game in the last 4 years.

It might be unethical not to give them some kind of advantage at this point.

Ever the Liberal, AltTru!

dgtw
February 5th, 2017, 10:53 AM
File this under Whiskey Golf Alpha Foxtrot for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichH2
February 5th, 2017, 11:28 AM
File this under Whiskey Golf Alpha Foxtrot for me.

+1

geaux_sioux
February 5th, 2017, 03:19 PM
It's completely unfair because it has resulted in so much on field success....

citdog
February 5th, 2017, 03:20 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/60774667.jpg

chattownmocs
February 5th, 2017, 03:55 PM
As the dimwitted morons of AGS continue to bury their head in the sand, the fraud has reached one of the largest newspapers in tennessee.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2017/02/03/rexrode-worst-team-best-class-wonder-austin-peay-football/97452922/

They've even got Barton Simmons to legitimize it. This is a fraud. It's not real. They didn't go out and purposefully sign a bunch of 2 star players. Someone at 247 went in and put all their players in the database and gave them 2 star rankings ON SIGNING DAY so will Healy can post headlines and print t shirts about legitimately signing the number 1 class and he can use it to build his program. That is fradulent!!! It is a huge advantage.

Why will healy is doing it is obvious. 247 had no excuse, they are making lots of money off of their rankings at least having integrity and not showing favoritism. For them to do this is wrong and they need to be held accountable.

Catatonic
February 5th, 2017, 04:27 PM
As the dimwitted morons of AGS continue to bury their head in the sand, the fraud has reached one of the largest newspapers in tennessee.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2017/02/03/rexrode-worst-team-best-class-wonder-austin-peay-football/97452922/

They've even got Barton Simmons to legitimize it. This is a fraud. It's not real. They didn't go out and purposefully sign a bunch of 2 star players. Someone at 247 went in and put all their players in the database and gave them 2 star rankings ON SIGNING DAY so will Healy can post headlines and print t shirts about legitimately signing the number 1 class and he can use it to build his program. That is fradulent!!! It is a huge advantage.

Why will healy is doing it is obvious. 247 had no excuse, they are making lots of money off of their rankings at least having integrity and not showing favoritism. For them to do this is wrong and they need to be held accountable.

So after you threw down the gauntlet I checked a couple of their player ratings on 247 and rivals. I didn't bother with looking up all of them, but the two I checked were listed by both services as two star players. I don't think either service means much for rating 2 star players but I don't see any obvious collusion with 247.

JSUSoutherner
February 5th, 2017, 04:48 PM

Cool. Even if Healy is doing that who cares? Why does it matter? Does it make you feel threatened by lil ole Austin Peay?

Let 247 put 5 stars next to all his recruits and we'll still shut them out in October. xcoffeex

Libertine
February 5th, 2017, 04:54 PM
That is fradulent!!! It is a huge advantage.

ALL recruit rankings are inherently fraudulent...or, in this case apparently, 'fradulent'.

ccd494
February 5th, 2017, 05:18 PM
I'm laying 3-1 odds that chattown was deeply involved in gamergate.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 5th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Recruiting rankings in the FCS on the major recruiting sites are all but worthless. If you believe them, most of the Group of 5 teams are out-recruiting NDSU (and other top FCS programs) by a significant margin, and just a simple eyeball test will tell you that's silly.

BisonTru
February 5th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Ever the Liberal, AltTru!

xlolx.... Tru

centennial
February 5th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Recruiting rankings in the FCS on the major recruiting sites are all but worthless. If you believe them, most of the Group of 5 teams are out-recruiting NDSU (and other top FCS programs) by a significant margin, and just a simple eyeball test will tell you that's silly.
Rankings are ****. NDSU looks at coaching camps a lot more than stars.

Thumper 76
February 5th, 2017, 07:22 PM
http://rs1235.pbsrc.com/albums/ff434/Suzydude1/attemptingtogiveadam.gif~c200

chattownmocs
February 5th, 2017, 08:14 PM
The bigger story is that 247 has no integrity, and if they are willing to rig the system for austin peay this blatantly with no shame, what are they willing to do for fbs teams.

The larger point for fcs is that a young guy that did sign a good recruiting class, and is a good recruiter, now has an huge advantage that he didn't actually earn. If you don't think that will healy getting an article in the tennesseean raving about him is a big deal for him then you are clueless. Well none of you think that anyone cares about recruiting rankings so clearly you are.

Btw them not winning games isn't going to prevent them from winning games if they are able to get elite talent. I've seen their record mentioned multiple. He's been there a year. Recruiting classes pay dividends 2, 3, 4 years down the road. Unless you get a bunch of transfers. Btw, he doesn't have to make austin peay better Than chattanooga or jacksonville state to hurt those programs in recruiting.

RootinFerDukes
February 5th, 2017, 08:22 PM
I'm going to laugh my ass off when Austin Peay knocks off Chattanooga one day.

lionsrking2
February 5th, 2017, 10:05 PM
The bigger story is that 247 has no integrity, and if they are willing to rig the system for austin peay this blatantly with no shame, what are they willing to do for fbs teams.

The larger point for fcs is that a young guy that did sign a good recruiting class, and is a good recruiter, now has an huge advantage that he didn't actually earn. If you don't think that will healy getting an article in the tennesseean raving about him is a big deal for him then you are clueless. Well none of you think that anyone cares about recruiting rankings so clearly you are.

Btw them not winning games isn't going to prevent them from winning games if they are able to get elite talent. I've seen their record mentioned multiple. He's been there a year. Recruiting classes pay dividends 2, 3, 4 years down the road. Unless you get a bunch of transfers. Btw, he doesn't have to make austin peay better Than chattanooga or jacksonville state to hurt those programs in recruiting.

Your argument is incoherent. Either 247 is blowing up average players to make them look better than they are, or Austin Peay is doing a great job on the recruiting trail. If 247 is inflating ratings, it's doubtful it'll have an impact on the field for APSU. If they're legitimately recruiting well, not sure what your problem is with 247 ... credit APSU for doing a good job recruiting.

geaux_sioux
February 5th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Your argument is incoherent. Either 247 is blowing up average players to make them look better than they are, or Austin Peay is doing a great job on the recruiting trail. If 247 is inflating ratings, it's doubtful it'll have an impact on the field for APSU. If they're legitimately recruiting well, not sure what your problem is with 247 ... credit APSU for doing a good job recruiting.
Exactly, this is a schizophrenic argument at best. Either they're a paper tiger and shame on 247 or they're going to improve because stars always mean a player is good right?

JSUSoutherner
February 5th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Exactly, this is a schizophrenic argument at best. Either they're a paper tiger and shame on 247 or they're going to improve because stars always mean a player is good right?Only if they spend enough time in the weight room.

geaux_sioux
February 5th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Only if they spend enough time in the weight room.
Or in your schools' case the buffet line

UNHWildcat18
February 6th, 2017, 04:09 AM

Hahahahah classic

F'N Hawks
February 6th, 2017, 05:20 AM

Lolololololololololololololololololololol

spdram
February 6th, 2017, 05:28 AM
most of these services rely upon people around the country giving them information and ratings. Maybe it's not Will but someone that does have a connection to the AP program. But how they're rated coming out of HS only has marginal relationship to how they perform in college once you get beyond the 4 & 5 stars.

chattownmocs
February 6th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Let's try this again. On February 2nd austin peay had one or two 3 stars and six or 7 2 stars? Get it? That is very good for an FCS had them somewhere around the top 10. On February 2nd Austin Peay had three 3 stars and twenty-two 2 stars. So they really did have a good class, at least by this metric, but they weren't number 1. The number 1 part was completely manufactured. I don't get how that is hard to understand. We have some dumbasses on this site.

RootinFerDukes
February 6th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Let's revisit this thread when AP's three 3-stars and twenty-two 2-stars help them win a national championship in the 2020 season. Maybe they'll win a game in the meantime.

I do get what Chatta is saying though, it is some serious BS if they don't have a single unranked player listed among 25 recruits. Something does smell fishy.

RootinFerDukes
February 6th, 2017, 07:27 AM
We don't disagree with you that it's laughable and pretty bogus for them to be the top FCS recruiting class on that site. It's when a team is currently on a 27 game losing streak and has lost 45 of their last 46, has not had a multiple win season since 2012 and has not had multiple D1 wins since 2011, it all just doesn't really matter.

Libertine
February 6th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Let's try this again. ... The number 1 part was completely manufactured. I don't get how that is hard to understand. We have some dumbasses on this site.

Let's try this again. Recruit rankings are complete nonsense driven only by the fact that sports fans need some way to claim victory in the offseason. Every recruiting "site" everywhere is inherently a scam. Therefore, the number 1 and the number 2 part and the number 3 part and the every number after that part is ALWAYS completely manufactured and is completely meaningless. You may as well be getting worked up over the results of a beauty pageant between Disney princesses.

Catatonic
February 6th, 2017, 10:08 AM
ok, I gotta admit this is laying it on a little thick and is suspect. Not that fawning over Austin Pea changes anything--rankings of FCS teams by big services are inherently bogus and best ignored or minimized.

http://247sports.com/Article/Why-is-Jeremiah-Oatsvall-going-to-Austin-Peay-Hes-heard-it-befor-51137719

Mayville Bison
February 6th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Let's revisit this thread when AP's three 3-stars and twenty-two 2-stars help them win a national championship in the 2020 season. Maybe they'll win a game in the meantime.

I do get what Chatta is saying though, it is some serious BS if they don't have a single unranked player listed among 25 recruits. Something does smell fishy.

Don't you get a star simply for signing up on these sites? Thought I read somewhere that you also get a second star for being recruited by a D1 program.

If that's true (not 100% sure if it is), all the coach had to do is require his players signup or contact the site to get in their recruiting database. Most FCS programs don't care about stars, so they don't require it. Wouldn't be surprised if G5 programs do the same.

clenz
February 6th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Don't you get a star simply for signing up on these sites? Thought I read somewhere that you also get a second star for being recruited by a D1 program.

If that's true (not 100% sure if it is), all the coach had to do is require his players signup or contact the site to get in their recruiting database. Most FCS programs don't care about stars, so they don't require it. Wouldn't be surprised if G5 programs do the same.
Not completely true, but not completely false.

It's a bit more nuanced than that, but it's mostly all a scam.

Cocky
February 6th, 2017, 10:26 AM
ok, I gotta admit this is laying it on a little thick and is suspect. Not that fawning over Austin Pea changes anything--rankings of FCS teams by big services are inherently bogus and best ignored or minimized.

http://247sports.com/Article/Why-is-Jeremiah-Oatsvall-going-to-Austin-Peay-Hes-heard-it-befor-51137719

Dont be surprised if you Baniko Harley under center before this guy.

ccd494
February 6th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I don't get why the reaction is anything other than good for Peay. At the highest levels of the FBS, there is a very strong correlation between recruiting rankings and winning. At the very bottom, too. From like, 30th to 90th, there's not a lot of separation.

At the FCS, it's like 90% coaching. So, good for Healy for bringing in kids who are well regarded by at least one service. He won't have many excuses if they don't start winning.

FUBeAR
February 6th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Let's try this again. On February 2nd austin peay had one or two 3 stars and six or 7 2 stars? Get it? That is very good for an FCS had them somewhere around the top 10. On February 2nd Austin Peay had three 3 stars and twenty-two 2 stars. So they really did have a good class, at least by this metric, but they weren't number 1. The number 1 part was completely manufactured. I don't get how that is hard to understand. We have some dumbasses on this site.

I can confirm Chatttttown's assertion as I started watching the 247 Rankings around 1/29 (just for fun - as I said in another thread, their FCS Recruiting Rankings are "near-garbage," BUT...it's the best garbage we got on a National level). See below for the National Top 10 Rankings as of 1/29...

FCS Rank
Team
247 National Rank
Composite National Rank
Team Total Commits
3 Star Commits
Avg Rating (All Commits)
247 Projected Team Score

University of Pennsylvania

Yale

Eastern Washington

Villanova

North Dakota State

Mercer

Montana State

James Madison University

Austin Peay State University

Sam Houston State University

The Gov's added 3 listed Commits, including a 3* & moved up to #6 2 days later on 1/31...and the following day (NSD), they added 5 more Commits/Signees, including yet another 3*, and, just like that, vaulted to #1.

Certainly 'fishy,' but how else should anyone expect "near-garbage" to smell?

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2017, 11:50 AM

I think most here understand perfectly. What's not understandable is your level of butthurt about it. If the guy has a relationship with 247 and can spin some propaganda out of it, good job by him. They still have to play on the field.

Cocky
February 6th, 2017, 12:38 PM
If the recruit has either a picture or other offers will tell quite a bit. Most of the guys without pictures are really unknown unless they have offers from other schools.

We had one with a SEC offer who wasnt even rated?

IBleedYellow
February 6th, 2017, 01:03 PM
The most laughable part here is that Chattownmocs thinks that rating sites actually matter.

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2017, 01:10 PM
The most laughable part here is that Chattownmocs thinks that rating sites actually matter.

+1

UCMoc
February 6th, 2017, 01:12 PM
While I agree that the potential manipulation of recruiting rankings by Austin Peay can't help but shake FCS football to it's very core, I have another issue that I believe we will all agree demands our attention. Are the buns at Subway really 12 inches, or have they been cut significantly shorter because the only unit of measure they have is Chattown's, um, personal measuring stick? The world needs to know, and we demand an answer!

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2017, 01:23 PM
While I agree that the potential manipulation of recruiting rankings by Austin Peay can't help but shake FCS football to it's very core, I have another issue that I believe we will all agree demands our attention. Are the buns at Subway really 12 inches, or have they been cut significantly shorter because the only unit of measure they have is Chattown's, um, personal measuring stick? The world needs to know, and we demand an answer!
I think you just ruined Subway for me.

RootinFerDukes
February 6th, 2017, 01:50 PM

You mean that isn't why you all won five consecutive national titles?

RootinFerDukes
February 6th, 2017, 01:52 PM
I think you just ruined Subway for me.

So Jared Fogle didn't ruin it for you already?

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2017, 02:23 PM
So Jared Fogle didn't ruin it for you already?
No. Cause his penis was next to small children. Not my sandwiches.

FUBeAR
February 6th, 2017, 02:57 PM

UPDATE: As of the time of this post, Austin Peay's Signing Class is no longer ranked #1 in FCS!
Harvard is the new #1.
Perhaps Chatttttown's lamentations were received by 247Sports and they decided to get ahead of the coming investigations/lawsuits...

128https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/917/649/1_4649917.pngHarvard (http://harvard.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits) Total: 19 (http://harvard.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits) 3*: 5 Avg: 75.55 90.93

126https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/999/649/1_4649999.pngAustin Peay (http://apsu.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits) Total: 25 (http://apsu.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits) 3*: 3 Avg: 75.58 89.44

IBleedYellow
February 6th, 2017, 03:17 PM
You mean that isn't why you all won five consecutive national titles?

No.

We paid off the refs. Like every good Championship team does. Our check didn't arrive in time this year during the semifinals.

We hired a new accountant to make sure that it doesn't ever happen again, since our old one clearly was getting lazy with all the success he had previously.

I just thought about a new addition to this theory: Y'all outpaid what we offered. That sounds more plausible. Our poor ex-accountant.

/s

Bisonator
February 8th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Does Will have any friends who vote in the polls too? Just curious....xcoffeex

walliver
February 8th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I remember when Chattanooga (pre-Huesman) and Western Carolina (pre-Spier) used to have some of the "top" recruiting classes every year and always finished at the bottom of the SoCon. I eventually inferred that their coaches didn't know how to recruit and were recruiting based on "stars" not actual evaluation.

longtimemocfan
February 8th, 2017, 01:40 PM
I think Austin Peay lead the country in offers.

longtimemocfan
February 8th, 2017, 01:42 PM
I remember when Chattanooga (pre-Huesman) and Western Carolina (pre-Spier) used to have some of the "top" recruiting classes every year and always finished at the bottom of the SoCon. I eventually inferred that their coaches didn't know how to recruit and were recruiting based on "stars" not actual evaluation.
Pre-Huesman only a fraction of those players made it 4 years.

Pre

geaux_sioux
February 8th, 2017, 04:57 PM
http://herosports.com/news/fcs-recruiting-top-50-recruiting-classes-2017

youcanbankit
February 8th, 2017, 05:07 PM

Who is Will Healy? LOL

Chill Star Gazer. Winning on the field is what matters! Ratings are fun and have some application, but not the end all be all. I've seen one star guys whip the 5 star guys all over the field. Speaking of star gazing, Nick Tiano QB transfer to chattanooga looks good! How is the quarterback competition going to end up?

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Who is Will Healy? LOL

Chill Star Gazer. Winning on the filed is what matters! Ratings are fun and have some application, but not the end all be all. Ive seen one star guys whip the 5 star guys all over the filed. Speaking of star gazing, Nick Tiano QB transfer to chattanooga looks good! How is the quarterback competition going to end up?

Bank it.

Milktruck74
February 12th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Who is Will Healy? LOL

Chill Star Gazer. Winning on the field is what matters! Ratings are fun and have some application, but not the end all be all. I've seen one star guys whip the 5 star guys all over the field. Speaking of star gazing, Nick Tiano QB transfer to chattanooga looks good! How is the quarterback competition going to end up?

NT is a good get for us.I think he fits Arth's mold better than AB, but I think Next season is AB's. Tiano is a gamer, so he will see time. I think it will be very telling about Arth when he names a starter....Based on them both having equitable springs and pre seasons...If he goes with Tiano, he is saying "I'm here to build for the future and that starts NOW!!" if it is AB, "I'm gonna ride this out and see how it plays!!!" Of course, AB may be better than NT and gives us the best chance to win???? If itis NT, expect to see AB in a wildcat and probably lined up at the slot a bunch (the kid isa pure athlete and needs to be on the field).

smallcollegefbfan
February 12th, 2017, 10:52 PM

What does this matter? No player or coach is coming to Austin Peay simply because he supposedly signed the top FCS class on 247 Sports. These websites don't carry that type of weight. Most of the best players at the G5 and FCS level have been unranked or 2-star players.

This is nothing to worry about. Chattanooga had the top class by Rivals 2-3 times if I remember correctly and while they have been good they have never dethroned NDSU or able to do what JMU did. It is a meaningless and worthless accomplishment. Ignoring the stars would make your life easier and better. They are just for hype to make the All-America games and recruiting classes look better but once the players sign those stars have zero purpose or relevance.

Catatonic
February 13th, 2017, 04:18 AM
What does this matter? No player or coach is coming to Austin Peay simply because he supposedly signed the top FCS class on 247 Sports. These websites don't carry that type of weight. Most of the best players at the G5 and FCS level have been unranked or 2-star players.

This is nothing to worry about. Chattanooga had the top class by Rivals 2-3 times if I remember correctly and while they have been good they have never dethroned NDSU or able to do what JMU did. It is a meaningless and worthless accomplishment. Ignoring the stars would make your life easier and better. They are just for hype to make the All-America games and recruiting classes look better but once the players sign those stars have zero purpose or relevance.

Agreed at the FCS and to a slightly lesser extent at the G5 level rankings don't mean much. The only place recruiting rank has much predictive value historically is among the top ranked P5 times.

For anyone who wants to track recruiting success against on-the-field success, here are the top 5 P5, G5 and FCS classes with their overall rank using 247 Composite ranks.

P5
1(1). Alabama
2(2). Ohio State
3(3). Georgia
4(4). USC
5(5). Michigan

G5(non P5 FBS)
1(59) Memphis
2(61) Boise State
3(62) Cincinnati
4(67) BYU
5(69) Houston

FCS
1(128) Harvard
2(129) Austin Peay
3(132) Yale
4(133) Eastern Washington
5(135) Mercer

Since this is a FCS board, for comparative purposes here is Hero Sports take on the top 5:

FCS Hero Sports
1. Harvard
2. James Madison
3. NDSU
4. Sam Houston
5. Yale

smallcollegefbfan
February 14th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Agreed at the FCS and to a slightly lesser extent at the G5 level rankings don't mean much. The only place recruiting rank has much predictive value historically is among the top ranked P5 times.

For anyone who wants to track recruiting success against on-the-field success, here are the top 5 P5, G5 and FCS classes with their overall rank using 247 Composite ranks.

P5
1(1). Alabama
2(2). Ohio State
3(3). Georgia
4(4). USC
5(5). Michigan

G5(non P5 FBS)
1(59) Memphis
2(61) Boise State
3(62) Cincinnati
4(67) BYU
5(69) Houston

FCS
1(128) Harvard
2(129) Austin Peay
3(132) Yale
4(133) Eastern Washington
5(135) Mercer

Since this is a FCS board, for comparative purposes here is Hero Sports take on the top 5:

FCS Hero Sports
1. Harvard
2. James Madison
3. NDSU
4. Sam Houston
5. Yale

The only reason it even looks like it may be comparable with P5 is because they take that more seriously and actually put a little time in them but I'll give you the trick to grading the players. They give stars based on how many offers, size, and who offered them along with stat production. Alabama players get 4 and 5 stars automatically plus an invite to an All-America game regardless of how good they really are. Alabama has had some busts and because they went to Alabama they were all rated 4 or 5 star and played in a game, unless injured. There have been some really good players at the P5 level with 2 stars or none because they maybe committed early and only had 3 offers or did not go to any of their camps or did not play in all-star games. If a player has a small offer list and commits to a good P5 but very little interest outside of that school the analysts don't want to put 5 stars or 4 stars on a guy who doesn't appear to be on one paper and look bad so they go low and only move them up if they go to a state or national all-star game and put up a dominant performance.

chattownmocs
February 15th, 2017, 06:13 AM

I have basically given up that anyone on here is going to take anything I post seriously. I have no respect on this board. This thread proves it. Not one person thinks anything is shady. It's fine. Whatever. There aren't many people on here that are very intelligent individuals.

But I'm not going to let you come on here and talk down to me Mr. Professional dumbass scout. CHATTANOOGA HAD THE NUMBER ONE CLASS ON 247 TWICE WHEN WILL HEALY WAS THE RECRUITING COORDINATOR. And they went in and manipulated the rankings on signing day to give it to them. They didn't have **** on rivals. Rivals doesnt rank past 50. Thats how will healy got the austin peay job. You are making my ****ing point you ****tard. I have no respect for your idiotic opinion. Stfu.

Get it through your ****ing heads. That's why this guy got the austin peay job. He was a 29 year old WR coach. He was at best the 4th most qualified assistant on Chattanooga's staff.

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2017, 06:27 AM
NT is a good get for us.I think he fits Arth's mold better than AB, but I think Next season is AB's. Tiano is a gamer, so he will see time. I think it will be very telling about Arth when he names a starter....Based on them both having equitable springs and pre seasons...If he goes with Tiano, he is saying "I'm here to build for the future and that starts NOW!!" if it is AB, "I'm gonna ride this out and see how it plays!!!" Of course, AB may be better than NT and gives us the best chance to win???? If itis NT, expect to see AB in a wildcat and probably lined up at the slot a bunch (the kid isa pure athlete and needs to be on the field).

Just my thought.

If the new coach brings in a transfer and starts him over the guy who sat for two years behind the coach's son and, by all accounts, had a strong season, I don't think the message is "the future starts now."

Transfers are great and all, but they come with strings. You take guys that committed to your program, worked their tails off, earned playing time, and then replace them with an outside ringer from a big named school. You can pull that off if there's a clear hole at a position, but UTC does not have a clear hole at QB.

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2017, 06:29 AM
I have basically given up that anyone on here is going to take anything I post seriously. I have no respect on this board. This thread proves it. Not one person thinks anything is shady. It's fine. Whatever. There aren't many people on here that are very intelligent individuals.

But I'm not going to let you come on here and talk down to me Mr. Professional dumbass scout. CHATTANOOGA HAD THE NUMBER ONE CLASS ON 247 TWICE WHEN WILL HEALY WAS THE RECRUITING COORDINATOR. And they went in and manipulated the rankings on signing day to give it to them. They didn't have **** on rivals. Rivals doesnt rank past 50. Thats how will healy got the austin peay job. You are making my ****ing point you ****tard. I have no respect for your idiotic opinion. Stfu.

Get it through your ****ing heads. That's why this guy got the austin peay job. He was a 29 year old WR coach. He was at best the 4th most qualified assistant on Chattanooga's staff.

You don't get respect on this board because for years your posts have been hyperbolic, infantile, and churlish.

smallcollegefbfan
February 15th, 2017, 06:29 AM

We both agree with each other here. I agree that it is not ethical. I also agree that it may have influenced him getting the job but what I'm saying is that it won't get him titles. If he wins at Austin Peay, it is because he turns out to be a really good hire and not because of the stars. If the stars mattered then UTC would have won titles instead of NDSU while he was with you guys. NDSU has had the top recruiting class in FCS and they showed it by winning titles. I don't care what the websites said before they show up on campus. I rate the recruiting class 4-5 years later after you see what the players do. Austin Peay won't win any titles because 247 did something crooked in your mind and got their class rated high. They have never signed a 3-star caliber player before shown by no All-Americans and no NFL players so just because they give their typical recruits 3 stars doesn't make them that good.

I'm really sad to hear I still don't have your respect. I keep getting raises and never been fired and I have respect from HOF players and many in the NFL and media but I lay awake at night stressed at what I can do to gain your respect. Please tell me what I can do. I really need it to complete my life!!!!!! (SARCASM) :) LOL

smallcollegefbfan
February 15th, 2017, 06:35 AM
You don't get respect on this board because for years your posts have been hyperbolic, infantile, and churlish.

PaladinFan,

You need to use smaller words because people who are those things won't understand what they mean without a dictionary. LOL

FUBeAR
February 15th, 2017, 07:47 AM
PaladinFan,

You need to use smaller words because people who are those things won't understand what they mean without a dictionary. LOL

Whaddayamean? Everyone knows he's talking about a curve, a baby, and an ice sport with stones & brooms.

smallcollegefbfan
February 15th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Whaddayamean? Everyone knows he's talking about a curve, a baby, and an ice sport with stones & brooms.

Lol. I try to leave him alone and I was being completely serious in my first post. He needs to have his friends read his posts and see how he comes off. Anyone who knows football knows that much of what he is saying is just fan chatter. It is okay but he likes to say he knows more than everyone else yet he is not cashing in on his knowledge by allowing the NFL or a P5 college the honor of using his infinite wisdom. LOL

Bisonoline
February 15th, 2017, 08:15 PM

Youre the gift that keeps on giving! xthumbsupx