PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Stadium Upgrade

Daytripper
January 25th, 2017, 05:40 AM
Looks like the university is about to begin a capital campaign to upgrade Bowers Stadium...... finally. xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

https://vimeo.com/200883978

TheRevSFA
January 25th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Nicely done Sam.

bluehenbillk
January 25th, 2017, 07:28 AM
No wonder KC is happier in Texas than he was in Delaware.

BEAR
January 25th, 2017, 08:17 AM
That looks GREAT! Way to step it up Sammy!xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
January 25th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Thematically, I like what you guys are doing there with the vertical bars on either side of the entrance, as well as the extruded metal screen at the top.

Subtle, yet effective homage to Huntsville's roots.

Nice! ;)

Thumper 76
January 25th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
January 25th, 2017, 09:04 AM
That'll work.

BEAR
January 25th, 2017, 09:09 AM
We're in the process of building onto our stadium...takes ALOT of money you know...this is where our Admins are in the process...xbawlingx

http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/85078/1329071853m_SPLASH.jpg

kdinva
January 25th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Looks like the university is about to begin a capital campaign to upgrade Bowers Stadium...... finally. xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Very nice......didn't see any mention of BBQ in the "concessions" section..... xbowx

McNeese75
January 25th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Congrats, long over due.

Catatonic
January 25th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Thematically, I like what you guys are doing there with the vertical bars on either side of the entrance, as well as the extruded metal screen at the top.

Nice! ;)

LOL. Nicely played.

Panther88
January 25th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Congrats Sam. Any expansion of the H/V seating areas planned?

dewey
January 25th, 2017, 12:22 PM

Looks like some great upgrades. Any idea on when it would start?

Dewey

Daytripper
January 25th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Congrats Sam. Any expansion of the H/V seating areas planned?

No seating expansion likely. We don't sell it out as it is. Not necessary, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like some great upgrades. Any idea on when it would start?

Dewey

I'm guessing when a certain threshold of the money is in the bank. No timeline has been set that I am aware of.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice......didn't see any mention of BBQ in the "concessions" section..... xbowx

That would make too much sense....

ASU33
January 25th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Nicexthumbsupx

Bisonoline
January 25th, 2017, 01:38 PM

Nice! ;)

So you wont need tickets to get in the game but you will need them to get out.xlolx

Panther88
January 25th, 2017, 03:18 PM
No seating expansion likely. We don't sell it out as it is. Not necessary, really.

SHSU has D-I FBS type enrollment + borderline G5 FBS budget. Never understood why SHSU settled for FCS. (see Tx St, UT-SA, and UNT)

Daytripper
January 25th, 2017, 03:42 PM
SHSU has D-I FBS type enrollment + borderline G5 FBS budget. Never understood why SHSU settled for FCS. (see Tx St, UT-SA, and UNT)

See how successful TXST, UTSA and UNT have been at the FBS level. I would rather play for a chance to win a natty than play in a crap bowl.

Panther88
January 25th, 2017, 04:17 PM
See how successful TXST, UTSA and UNT have been at the FBS level. I would rather play for a chance to win a natty than play in a crap bowl and remain obscure in the national scene while avoiding the lure of university of texas, university of alabama, lsu, et al type $$$$$s and national notoriety.

Finished it for you. Smart. :)

katstrapper
January 25th, 2017, 04:48 PM

When you have an Athletic Director that has been in the position for 35 years it will explain a lot. The AD and some of his supporters will complain that there isn't enough money coming in to do things that are wanted which is bs. The problem is we have an Athletic Director that is more focused on his little click instead of appealing to the masses for donations. He doesn't know how to raise money. I would bet that this stadium upgrade doesn't happen in the next 5 years. The stadium rendering that is now being put out there was proposed 2 years ago in the capital budget for the university. And judging by the video, are they only planning to upgrade one half of the stadium? What about the out of date fieldhouse ? what about the chain link fence still surrounding the stadium? A number of $80million is being tossed around. Hell, I would think the entire stadium could get a nice upgrade for $80million.

In my opinion, they missed the boat on this deal. The time to strike was when Kats went to back to back national championship games. I have been a 25 year football season ticket holder. I am not holding my breath on this deal.
It is a nice video though.

Redbird007
January 25th, 2017, 05:17 PM
That is some seriously close parking...but shouldn't it be a truck since it is Texas?

LuckyKat
January 25th, 2017, 07:57 PM
When you have an Athletic Director that has been in the position for 35 years it will explain a lot. The AD and some of his supporters will complain that there isn't enough money coming in to do things that are wanted which is bs. The problem is we have an Athletic Director that is more focused on his little click instead of appealing to the masses for donations. He doesn't know how to raise money. I would bet that this stadium upgrade doesn't happen in the next 5 years. The stadium rendering that is now being put out there was proposed 2 years ago in the capital budget for the university. And judging by the video, are they only planning to upgrade one half of the stadium? What about the out of date fieldhouse ? what about the chain link fence still surrounding the stadium? A number of $80million is being tossed around. Hell, I would think the entire stadium could get a nice upgrade for $80million.

In my opinion, they missed the boat on this deal. The time to strike was when Kats went to back to back national championship games. I have been a 25 year football season ticket holder. I am not holding my breath on this deal.

BOOM!!

cx500d
January 25th, 2017, 08:02 PM

Putting a steel folding chair out is an upgrade to your stadium.

SFA 93
January 25th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Just have to resort to lipstick on a pig like we do at Homer Bryce. New field, big ass score board and slap some paint on the walls.

UNHWildcat18
January 25th, 2017, 09:44 PM
Just have to resort to lipstick on a pig like we do at Homer Bryce. New field, big ass score board and slap some paint on the walls.

Kinda what they did at UNH, Built a beautiful new side, lights, entrance with scoreboard. didn't replace the 8 year old turf and didn't do crap to the away side which is actually missing a corner of seating which they didn't add back due to a "field house expansion in the future" the stadium would look so much better if they re did the old home side. they tried the lipstick which helped, but damn it still looks awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVYeBwM9l7o

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 25th, 2017, 09:58 PM
Kinda what they did at UNH, Built a beautiful new side, lights, entrance with scoreboard. didn't replace the 8 year old turf and didn't do crap to the away side which is actually missing a corner of seating which they didn't add back due to a "field house expansion in the future" the stadium would look so much better if they re did the old home side. they tried the lipstick which helped, but damn it still looks awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVYeBwM9l7o

I was a little disappointed with UNH's stadium. The home side is "nice" but due to its smallish size the double-deck style looks a little awkward. It reminds be a little of a AA baseball stadium. The away side is serviceable and really just needs some updating. Keeping the track is tough too. The seats are pretty far removed from the field. UNH does an amazing job given their facilities relative to some of their peers in the CAA.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15268025_1351382574894170_6787807969706375142_n.jp g?oh=569db9168655426be343a5a44791d9b2&oe=5914F8D3

SHSU is starting with a little better template imo.

UNHWildcat18
January 25th, 2017, 11:30 PM
I was a little disappointed with UNH's stadium. The home side is "nice" but due to its smallish size the double-deck style looks a little awkward. It reminds be a little of a AA baseball stadium. The home side is serviceable and really just needs some updating. Keeping the track is tough too. The seats are pretty far removed from the field. UNH does an amazing job given their facilities relative to some of their peers in the CAA.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15268025_1351382574894170_6787807969706375142_n.jp g?oh=569db9168655426be343a5a44791d9b2&oe=5914F8D3

SHSU is starting with a little better template imo.

Im not sure if you sat on the home side at all but the stadium is right up to the track and the sight lines are excellent the away side is too far away though I agree.. Personally I'll take a longer concourse with a smaller second level as long as it expands the field. So many FCS teams have garbage looking stands that go like 30-30 and wicked far up/back. SHSU has much more space to work with, I'm actually surprised they have a track around it.

Thumper 76
January 26th, 2017, 01:17 AM

$80 mil? Good lord SDSU knocked down the old stadium and built and entirely new one for $65 mil. Is it that much more expensive to build there?

GAD
January 26th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Nice!

Daytripper
January 26th, 2017, 11:36 AM
$80 mil? Good lord SDSU knocked down the old stadium and built and entirely new one for $65 mil. Is it that much more expensive to build there?

Don't know for sure, but I think the $80 million number is for the total university capital campaign. A portion of that will go towards the stadium renovation. But, yes, if we had that much for a stadium we would just build a new one.

Thumper 76
January 26th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Don't know for sure, but I think the $80 million number is for the total university capital campaign. A portion of that will go towards the stadium renovation. But, yes, if we had that much for a stadium we would just build a new one.

Ok that makes more sense.

Panther88
January 26th, 2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks for being honest.

You're officially in the sammy doghouse for exposing the truth regarding internal problems @ sam, ie inept AD.

Bearkat04
January 29th, 2017, 03:15 PM
80 mil is what the university got committed during the silent phase. The total goal is like 150 mil I believe. The home side renovations will cost about 20 mil which will come from this campaign. There are other projects planned in the future but no timetable on them. One is a renovation and expansion of the field house and also an indoor practice facility. IMO I think the AD is trying to get a feel for what's gonna happen with the p5 and G5 shakeups that are sure to happen.

DirtyDukes
January 30th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Is it an upgrade if no seats are added? Isn't it just a renovation?

Daytripper
January 30th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Is it an upgrade if no seats are added? Isn't it just a renovation?

Semantics. You can upgrade through renovation. If I upgrade from an old Lexus to a new Lexus, it doesn't mean it has more seats....Just newer, nicer amenities.

fmrbearkat
February 2nd, 2017, 10:14 AM

I don't necessarily agree. We have had ALOT of buildings being put up around campus in the last 10 years. I actually drove through campus last week for the first time in a few years and its incredible how its changed in the last few years.

We have been getting big donations for athletics that have gone everywhere but the stadium infrastructure. The new weight room, overhaul of the field house, turf, scoreboard, and then the upgrades the the baseball/softball/basketball facilities. We have been able to do all that but haven't been able to do more of the big ticket stuff like this because the resources that university/state would kick in were going into gigantic/expensive academic buildings all over the place. A big portion of this money will be donors but just as big will be the state funding. This is the first year where we don't have a ton going towards academic stuff so they can swing it over to Bowers and with the new turf and awesome scoreboard it will bring the whole thing together nicely. I heard something on the presser that I was unaware of...apparently SHSU is the 12th fastest growing public university in the U.S.

BadlandsGrizFan
February 2nd, 2017, 10:33 AM
Congrats Sammy on moving into a mid level tier for texas high school football stadiums!

LuckyKat
February 2nd, 2017, 12:47 PM
Congrats Sammy on moving into a mid level tier for texas high school football stadiums!

Barely,,,

Nickels
February 2nd, 2017, 10:07 PM
Barely,,,
I dunno...I think New Caney ISD (small school district near Houston) still has us beat.
http://www.newcaneyisd.org/cms/lib5/TX01918142/Centricity/ModuleInstance/3819/large/Stadium%20Aerial.jpg

Daytripper
February 3rd, 2017, 08:14 AM
I dunno...I think New Caney ISD (small school district near Houston) still has us beat.
http://www.newcaneyisd.org/cms/lib5/TX01918142/Centricity/ModuleInstance/3819/large/Stadium%20Aerial.jpg

I drive by this all of the time and weep tears of sadness.

LuckyKat
February 3rd, 2017, 09:04 AM
I drive by this all of the time and weep tears of sadness.

And these are the Small Schools,
EGSSHHHH,,

Sammy94
February 3rd, 2017, 09:12 AM

FCS ranks third behind FBS and high school ball in Texas, no stadium upgrade will change that fact.