PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Making Push for Playoffs

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
SHSU has had several marquee transfers over the years from booms in Dustin Long (Texas A&M), Josh McCown (SMU), Jason Mathenia (Vanderbilt) and Chris Chaloupka (Oklahoma St) to busts like Noah Allen (Oklahoma) and Luke Huard (North Carolina, never saw a down).

With Rhett Bomar in the fold, SHSU has been hot on the trail, really picking up more JUCOs than we're used to seeing and have even brought in some FBS transfers as well to help fill holes. There is also apparently a Univ of Texas transfer on his way and the Kats are expected to sign about 15 HS players as well in addition to these transfers as they try to ride the Bomar bandwagon to the playoffs.

Three WRs are in the fold. Brent Garner's brother Lance was an All-American at the kicker position during the 2004 I-AA semifinal run. Jon Bauer is getting heaps of praise and is actually, only walking-on with the Kats and then you have Trey Payne, who while not having the height is apparently a pretty good WR himself.

To help the issues in special teams, an all-conference JUCO selection in Derrick Raymer is coming on board. He can punt and kick. Kats lost their punter to graduation and the kicking game was never in sync.

Running back has also been addressed following the loss of DD Terry to graduation with the athletic Olufemi Ogundare from Eastern Michigan coming to play for the Kats. He had a sensational prep career in the Houston area and could be a huge contributor and potential start for the Kats.

SAM HOUSTON STATE:

Ryan Gloston DT 6-2 275 - - Brenham, TX (Blinn JC)
Jon Bauer WR 5-9 175--- Corsicana, Tx (Navarro JC, 2 Star rated, walk-on)
Brent Garner WR 6-1 186--- Copperas Cove(McLennan CC, QB/WR in HS)
Derrick Raymer PK/P 6-1 215---Goodland, KS(Garden City CC)
Jordan Bowersox OL 6-3 295---Wichita, KS(Coffeyville CC)
D.J. Terrell CB 5-10 169------- Allen, Tx (Univ. of New Mexico)
Trey Payne WR 5-9 170--------La Marque, Tx (Baylor U., 2 Star rated by Rivals)
Olufemi Ogundare RB 5-7 200--Sugarland, Tx (Eastern Michigan U, 2 Star rated by Rivals)

Bison_Kent
January 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
SHSU might just have a run with McNeese State in my early opinion for this fall. The Southland as a whole will be vastly improved in 2007. Of course, it can't get too much worse than last year.

It will be interesting to see who Texas State hires as I had them pegged to have a rebound season as well.

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM
SHSU might just have a run with McNeese State in my early opinion for this fall. The Southland as a whole will be vastly improved in 2007. Of course, it can't get too much worse than last year.

SHSU is a huge question mark. I've never seen us snatch up this many transfers, especially from the JUCO level. Typically, we're pulling in transfers from the FBS schools. Now, we're all over the JUCO level and picking a few guys here and there from FBS.

Biggest need in this offseason was DL, DB, P/K and RB. All four positions have gotten some help via transfers. DB, we have lots of young kids that were quality prep players that are going to need to step up. With how good our OL has been the last few years, I think RB will not be a problem. Our backs will get yards especially if Bomar is running as well as he did at Oklahoma and our passing game opens the field up...

It will be interesting to see who Texas State hires as I had them pegged to have a rebound season as well.

Looks like Wright will be named head coach. Since the university president came on board in 2002, they've had four coaches. DeBesse, Mataskis, Bailiff and now Wright...lots of changes in leadership. Consistency is needed for sure...

patssle
January 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
yeah SHSU and McNeese should be the favorites for the fall in the SLC. We were one decision (starting a previously injured quarterback instead of our 3rd stringer) away from going to playoffs rather than them this past year.

BigApp
January 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM
can't wait to see the impact Bomar has

patssle
January 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM
can't wait to see the impact Bomar has

you certainly arn't the only one!

Lionsrking
January 20th, 2007, 11:09 PM

The Southland wasn't bad last year, it was just young and inexperienced. The talent level across the board was pretty darn good but with all the I-A games and the lack of experienced QBs throughout, everybody struggled. This year we have coaching changes to deal with but it should be a much improved league overall, top to bottom.

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2007, 11:29 PM
The Southland wasn't bad last year, it was just young and inexperienced. The talent level across the board was pretty darn good but with all the I-A games and the lack of experienced QBs throughout, everybody struggled. This year we have coaching changes to deal with but it should be a much improved league overall, top to bottom.

Lionsrking, the good thing is...the SHSU game is in Hammond this year! I had a good time in Hammond and prefer that experience over many other visits I've made over the years...

blackfordpu
January 21st, 2007, 10:41 PM
SHSU has had several marquee transfers over the years from booms in Dustin Long (Texas A&M), Josh McCown (SMU), Jason Mathenia (Vanderbilt) and Chris Chaloupka (Oklahoma St) to busts like Noah Allen (Oklahoma) and Luke Huard (North Carolina, never saw a down).

With Rhett Bomar in the fold, SHSU has been hot on the trail, really picking up more JUCOs than we're used to seeing and have even brought in some FBS transfers as well to help fill holes. There is also apparently a Univ of Texas transfer on his way and the Kats are expected to sign about 15 HS players as well in addition to these transfers as they try to ride the Bomar bandwagon to the playoffs.

Three WRs are in the fold. Brent Garner's brother Lance was an All-American at the kicker position during the 2004 I-AA semifinal run. Jon Bauer is getting heaps of praise and is actually, only walking-on with the Kats and then you have Trey Payne, who while not having the height is apparently a pretty good WR himself.

To help the issues in special teams, an all-conference JUCO selection in Derrick Raymer is coming on board. He can punt and kick. Kats lost their punter to graduation and the kicking game was never in sync.

Running back has also been addressed following the loss of DD Terry to graduation with the athletic Olufemi Ogundare from Eastern Michigan coming to play for the Kats. He had a sensational prep career in the Houston area and could be a huge contributor and potential start for the Kats.

SAM HOUSTON STATE:

Olufemi Ogundare RB 5-7 200--Sugarland, Tx (Eastern Michigan U, 2 Star rated by Rivals)

How is our commitment list looking TT?

rokamortis
January 22nd, 2007, 06:12 AM
Call me old fashioned, but isn't it a wee bit early to start declaring teams ready for the playoffs? For most of the teams in FCS, isn't that a given anyway?

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM
Call me old fashioned, but isn't it a wee bit early to start declaring teams ready for the playoffs? For most of the teams in FCS, isn't that a given anyway?

I think there is a lot of enthusiasm, especially with Rhett Bomar and the tradition SHSU has with big-name QB transfers and success...

Big change in recruiting philosophy as well, never seen this many JUCO transfers coming into the fold...

Just picked up a HS WR from Alvin, TX...home of Nolan Ryan...

Chris Williams WR 6-2 187------Alvin, Tx

Spooney-Cat
January 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
I think it's a little early to be calling SHSU and McNeese the frontrunners in the SLC this next year. We'll have a better feel after the recruiting classes are completely signed up.

Of course I have to fend for the Bobcats...Over 80% of our total offense last year was freshman and sophomores. I bet Bradley George is right there in passing yards with Bomar this season.

AZGrizFan
January 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
yeah SHSU and McNeese should be the favorites for the fall in the SLC. We were one decision (starting a previously injured quarterback instead of our 3rd stringer) away from going to playoffs rather than them this past year.

So, which one's coming to Missoula in late November? :D :D :D :D

My money's on SHSU. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: xcoffeex

Spooney-Cat
January 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
We shall see...:rotateh:

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Unlike fans in San Marcos for football or Lamar folks in basketball, I will not declare the Kats as SLC champs before things get started...

This post was just about how the team is taking a different approach to things, which I think may benefit the Kats in a push for the playoffs...

McNeese72
January 22nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
I think it's a little early to be calling SHSU and McNeese the frontrunners in the SLC this next year. We'll have a better feel after the recruiting classes are completely signed up.

I don't think this year's recruiting classes are going to have much effect on who wins next season. If you have to depend on freshmen right out of high school to start next season, I think you might be in trouble already. We try to redshirt most of them, especially the linemen.

Doc

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
I don't think this year's recruiting classes are going to have much effect on who wins next season. If you have to depend on freshmen right out of high school to start next season, I think you might be in trouble already. We try to redshirt most of them, especially the linemen.

Agreed...

Freshmen won't make too much of a difference outside of redshirt freshmen who are coming to play this year, their second on campus...

Transfers have made a huge impact in this conference over the years at more than just the QB position. SHSU has added a Texas transfer to our haul...

Spooney-Cat
January 22nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Agreed. But we still have many of our D-I transfers from last year, and many RS Freshmen and raw freshmen who got significant playing time with the same QB they will be with a few more years. I think that's a little different. All I'm saying is the SLC will be funner to watch this year rather than last. (although the last game of the year was extremely exciting!!)

slycat
January 22nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
i agree the slc will be interesting next year. i have mcneese as my favs right now though. not sure how shsu will turn out yet. they were ok last year and our below average team beat them. it will be exciting and scary to see how bomar turns out though. so im sure shsu will be improved. as for texas st i think we will be much better then last year. we showed much improvement and potential at the end of the season. new coach will make thing interesting. once again im expecting sela to make some noise, although they disappointed me last year.

Sam_Kats
January 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Ok, I have a friendly wager to lay...that is, if the Griz fans and Bobcat fans will have it!?!

1. Bomar will have 1,000 more passing yards than George

2. The Griz will actually have to come to Bowers again this year

Winner gets either an ice cold Texas Bud Light from the square in San Marcos or a nice, stout Moose Drool at Wa-Griz...maybe both:smiley_wi

Lionsrking
January 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
McNeese will get the favorite tag heading into the season but the league as whole should be improved. It will be interesting to see how the coaching changes play into it.

Lionsrking
January 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Agreed...

Freshmen won't make too much of a difference outside of redshirt freshmen who are coming to play this year, their second on campus...

Transfers have made a huge impact in this conference over the years at more than just the QB position. SHSU has added a Texas transfer to our haul...

Transfers have made huge impacts in more ways than one. Some have been very positive, others have not. I know you guys are excited about Bomar but the jury is still out on him. He wasn't exactly stellar at OU and has had makeup issues dating back to high school. No question he's physically gifted but I'm afraid Bearkat fans may be expecting too much.

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Transfers have made huge impacts in more ways than one. Some have been very positive, others have not. I know you guys are excited about Bomar but the jury is still out on him. He wasn't exactly stellar at OU and has had makeup issues dating back to high school. No question he's physically gifted but I'm afraid Bearkat fans may be expecting too much.

If he's any better than the last OU transfer...we'll be alright...:twocents:

Lionsrking
January 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
If he's any better than the last OU transfer...we'll be alright...:twocents:

Not saying you won't be alright...just don't think it's a foregone conclusion he'll lead you to a championship.

patssle
January 22nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I'm not jumping to the conclusion that we'll win the championship, but I am expecting to be in contention for it. With the recruits/transfers we are bringing in...I expect to be near the top of the SLC.

Spooney-Cat
January 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Ok, I have a friendly wager to lay...that is, if the Griz fans and Bobcat fans will have it!?!

Winner gets either an ice cold Texas Bud Light from the square in San Marcos or a nice, stout Moose Drool at Wa-Griz...maybe both:smiley_wi

Hah! I will take both of those bets against you Sam_Kats :hurray:
If I lose, I'll make it on down to H'ville and buy you a cold beer at ....... wherever you guys go in Huntsville?

I also agree that Kat Fans are getting a little too overzealous with Bomar. I think the reason he'll be tough is he's a dual threat in the air and on the ground, but the offense at SHSU is nothing like the offense at OU. : smh :

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM
I also agree that Kat Fans are getting a little too overzealous with Bomar. I think the reason he'll be tough is he's a dual threat in the air and on the ground, but the offense at SHSU is nothing like the offense at OU. : smh :

The offense at SMU was not like the one at Oklahoma and Josh McCown worked out fine...

Chaloupka, McCown and Long each had some major WR targets. I'm not sure Bomar has those kinds of guys spread out along the line of scrimmage, which worries me some.

The running game should be strong as should the offensive line and the tight end position. Do we have the play-making WRs that can bring the Kats back to McCown and Long like days? Not really sure. Brian Christian and Catron Houston are no longer amongst the Kats receiving corps...

HPCAT
January 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM

Oh, I am so there, Sam_Kats buddy.

I ask for a slight adjustment to the bet though, I an a native Texan and I drink real beer...........Shiner Bock......:nod:

If you win, you can have your near beer.......xlolx

rokamortis
January 23rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
If he's any better than the last OU transfer...

The finest QB money can buy :smiley_wi

HPCAT
January 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Unlike fans in San Marcos for football or Lamar folks in basketball, I will not declare the Kats as SLC champs before things get started...

This post was just about how the team is taking a different approach to things, which I think may benefit the Kats in a push for the playoffs...

Don't you really mean.....

Like a few fans in San Marcos for football or a few Lamar folks in basketball, I am always willing to spend 24/7 on a message board to declare the Kats as SLC champs in anything you want to discuss before things get started...

xlolx

There are fans for about any University you want to name that has a few fans that are out of touch with reality. I have been on your board and seen the exact same thing, so don't try to blow smoke on here with that attitude that SHS fans are exempt from that specific genre of fans.

I have not seen a post you can not spin yet.....:bow:

JohnStOnge
January 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'll go ahead and say it: It could be that I'll end up having to eat my words, but as of right now the honest truth is that I would not trade Forroux for Bomar. I realize Bomar was a much more highly regarded recruit. But I wouldn't do it. I like Forroux a lot after having watched him last season.

Of course part of that is Bomar being a relative unknown at the college level. I went through a discussion on him on the McNeese Delphi board and, though he was rated low in I-A passing efficiency when he played, my recollection is that he improved over the season.

Still...I'm being honest. Right now I wouldn't trade Forroux for him after having watched the potential Forroux displayed last season.

Sam_Kats
January 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
That's the beauty of actually having to PLAY THE GAMES. I can remember fellow SLC'ers that thought the same about Long. Actually, the word on him was that he couldn't start for A&M so he probably wouldn't be that much of a stud...saw how that turned out.

Again...that's why they play the games!! We shall see...

:eyebrow:

exbearkat
January 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
At this point in the season NO-ONE is willing to trade their qb for another - come on now!

The SLC sure is going to be crazy in '07 - I certainly can't wait to see what this transfer kid from OU (what is his name, Bomar?) does. :eyebrow: :smiley_wi

Spooney-Cat
January 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Don't you really mean.....

Like a few fans in San Marcos for football or a few Lamar folks in basketball, I am always willing to spend 24/7 on a message board to declare the Kats as SLC champs in anything you want to discuss before things get started...

xlolx

There are fans for about any University you want to name that has a few fans that are out of touch with reality. I have been on your board and seen the exact same thing, so don't try to blow smoke on here with that attitude that SHS fans are exempt from that specific genre of fans.

I have not seen a post you can not spin yet.....:bow:

This is so true. Hey, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic. I agree you prove it on the field, but fans getting fired up is good for the sport, regardless. If nobody cared, boards like this and our own school forums wouldn't exist. The jury is still out on Bomar, he remains to be a question mark. I have no doubt he'll be a stud, but as the Kats' mentioned, he's only as good as the rest of the offense to an extent. We'll see. Forroux, Bomar, George....hmmm. Gonna be fun to watch this year guys! I'm glad both of those other QB's will be at our house this year. :):):)