PDA

View Full Version : MVFC 2017- Brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Also brought to you by the anti ECB Coalition, Central Winning Time, and Farm Coops.

Figure it's about time to get this fired up. Signing day is around the corner, as well as UNI having major upheaval in their coaching staff along with other fun discussion points. So it begins....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kemo
January 17th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Can't this thread be sponsored by Casey's Hazelnut Coffee? It's literally the only reason I go into store.

If you haven't tried it yet, cleanse your palate of that mediocre pizza and give it a shot.

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Can't this thread be sponsored by Casey's Hazelnut Coffee? It's literally the only reason I go into store.

If you haven't tried it yet, cleanse your palate of that mediocre pizza and give it a shot.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/fbb7e892430893a879b77ce99d587424.jpg

BisonTru
January 17th, 2017, 05:02 PM
ECB has pushed the light bacon agenda for years. Make the MVFC great again! Bacon2017.

clenz
January 17th, 2017, 05:07 PM
If UNI wins more than 3 games this year I'll think about changing my avatar back to UNI.

Seriously. The O/U for UNI should be 3.5.

I'll get back to you in a few weeks if we've hired any coaches

BisonTru
January 17th, 2017, 05:24 PM
NDSU is returning a lot on defense. SDSU is returning a ton on offense. I haven't looked much at YSU, but I believe they lose both their all conference DEs. IOW....

NDSU - Casey's breakfast pizza with an appropriate amount of bacon.
SDSU - Casey's breakfast pizza with sausage

UNI - Flavored coffee. xthumbsupx

citdog
January 17th, 2017, 05:30 PM
I have had Casey's Pizza and his Mom. Can I participate?

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 05:31 PM
If UNI wins more than 3 games this year I'll think about changing my avatar back to UNI.

****ty situation for UNI for sure, don't see how it doesn't cause them to bomb compared to what they normally are. Really hurts the conference when UNI isn't good, hopefully it turns around because there is another program I'm curious about having a drop off in a couple of years, NDSU.

The reason I have the theory about that has nothing to do with NDSU losing in the playoffs finally. It has to do with the fact that their President left for a different school, and their competition for recruits are really getting ramped up in the region.

On the president, there has been a witch hunt against the old guy for a while, at least as long as I've lived in Fargo (so at least a year). So that could deter some candidates. Also, talking to NDSU guys, they aren't hopeful for th next guy being hired being a great one for keeping NDSU on the forefront I guess you could say. From what I've gathered that's what caused the dip in the 90's was a bad president and it eventually trickled down. Also the state has been cutting back funding to the schools in ND and they have had to make some good sized cuts. That's never helpful for anything.

As to the regional recruiting, the obvious one is SDSU. Obviously NDSU has a massive advantage for recruiting due to the championships. That's a no brainer. However I don't think it's a coincidence that they became so dominant when the closest FCS school had a stadium that looked like it was a DIII stadium at a glance on their recruiting post cards, meeting rooms in old construction trailers, and locker rooms that were worse than some high schools. Now SDSU has State of the art everything, from their IPF to the stadium to the Dykehouse Student Athlete center. That's has really leveled the playing field between those schools, and SDSU probably has their best recruiting class to date right now (at least it looks like it). Add to it UND moving up and now starting to gain some steam under Bubbles, that adds some more strain, an more importantly, the bigger problem I think is Fleck in UM. At a glance he looks to be using the philosophy that Barry Alvarez used when he built up the Wisky program, recruit your state and region. NDSU (and SDSU) get a lot of MN kids who UM passes over or even sometimes chooses them over the goofs. I don't think that's going to happen for much longer if Fleck gets it rolling in the Twin Cities. SDSU I think might be better equipped to miss out on some MN talent than NDSU because they have started to really pony NE, but I'm curious to see what effect that's going to have. Either way I think those two things combined, and eventually Klieman getting scooped up by a mid level FBS, could cause for a drop off in Fargo. I'm not saying dropping into the cellar, but I would say with teams like ISUr, YSU, and SDSU improving every year it wouldn't take much of a drop off for them to start having 7-4 seasons. That could just be the SDSU fan in me though xlolx Anyways, what say you folks?

clenz
January 17th, 2017, 05:31 PM
And UNIs top commit out of Minnesota power house, Cretin Durham, has announced that due to coaching changes he no longer has an offer from UNI

**** you UNI. **** you for being a god damn dumpster fire. **** you for pulling a kids off 2 weeks from signing day. What a ****ing joke.

He's going to end up at Iowa. We have a game against Iowa in 2018. I hope he puts 200 yards up on UNI

centennial
January 17th, 2017, 06:04 PM
****ty situation for UNI for sure, don't see how it doesn't cause them to bomb compared to what they normally are. Really hurts the conference when UNI isn't good, hopefully it turns around because there is another program I'm curious about having a drop off in a couple of years, NDSU.

The reason I have the theory about that has nothing to do with NDSU losing in the playoffs finally. It has to do with the fact that their President left for a different school, and their competition for recruits are really getting ramped up in the region.

On the president, there has been a witch hunt against the old guy for a while, at least as long as I've lived in Fargo (so at least a year). So that could deter some candidates. Also, talking to NDSU guys, they aren't hopeful for th next guy being hired being a great one for keeping NDSU on the forefront I guess you could say. From what I've gathered that's what caused the dip in the 90's was a bad president and it eventually trickled down. Also the state has been cutting back funding to the schools in ND and they have had to make some good sized cuts. That's never helpful for anything.

As to the regional recruiting, the obvious one is SDSU. Obviously NDSU has a massive advantage for recruiting due to the championships. That's a no brainer. However I don't think it's a coincidence that they became so dominant when the closest FCS school had a stadium that looked like it was a DIII stadium at a glance on their recruiting post cards, meeting rooms in old construction trailers, and locker rooms that were worse than some high schools. Now SDSU has State of the art everything, from their IPF to the stadium to the Dykehouse Student Athlete center. That's has really leveled the playing field between those schools, and SDSU probably has their best recruiting class to date right now (at least it looks like it). Add to it UND moving up and now starting to gain some steam under Bubbles, that adds some more strain, an more importantly, the bigger problem I think is Fleck in UM. At a glance he looks to be using the philosophy that Barry Alvarez used when he built up the Wisky program, recruit your state and region. NDSU (and SDSU) get a lot of MN kids who UM passes over or even sometimes chooses them over the goofs. I don't think that's going to happen for much longer if Fleck gets it rolling in the Twin Cities. SDSU I think might be better equipped to miss out on some MN talent than NDSU because they have started to really pony NE, but I'm curious to see what effect that's going to have. Either way I think those two things combined, and eventually Klieman getting scooped up by a mid level FBS, could cause for a drop off in Fargo. I'm not saying dropping into the cellar, but I would say with teams like ISUr, YSU, and SDSU improving every year it wouldn't take much of a drop off for them to start having 7-4 seasons. That could just be the SDSU fan in me though xlolx Anyways, what say you folks?

So much wishing. Don't forget how many years in a row SDSU lost to NDSU before the win this year. Also 2011-12 was probably among our weakest classes in the run. NDSU has been stealing FBS recruits for the last 2 years. Not under recruited players, just straight up grabbing players with G5 offers, P5 interest. If the NDSU coaches can fix some scheme issues we still remain a top 5 team for the next 5 year at the very least. Also consider FCOA, it is going to be a huge advantage over a lot of teams in the FCS. We aren't going anywhere. I do agree the president issue is BS, and in the long run can kill us.

IBleedYellow
January 17th, 2017, 06:13 PM
NDSU wins the 2017 FCS Title.

I didn't start this thread. I can't believe I started last years. Dumbass me.

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 06:15 PM
So much wishing. Don't forget how many years in a row SDSU lost to NDSU before the win this year. Also 2011-12 was probably among our weakest classes in the run. NDSU has been stealing FBS recruits for the last 2 years. Not under recruited players, just straight up grabbing players with G5 offers, P5 interest. If the NDSU coaches can fix some scheme issues we still remain a top 5 team for the next 5 year at the very least. Also consider FCOA, it is going to be a huge advantage over a lot of teams in the FCS. We aren't going anywhere. I do agree the president issue is BS, and in the long run can kill us.

So, basically no addressing any of the points I made, just pointing at what happened. Considering all the regional teams I mentioned have the capability to match the FCOA NDSU can offer, it kinda neutralizes that advantage unless you're recruiting against the Citadel all the time. Actually SDSU can beat ndsu's offer I believe from what I remember seeing due to what the cost of attendance comes out to be in Brookings. Yes I know SDSU isn't able to offer every recruit FCOA at the moment, but they can offer it if they need to. But if your rebuttal is to point at the past when realistically there have been massive upgrades to your opponents and potential competition, that's the definition of having the blinders on. Also note I mentioned that it isn't going to happen immediately, it will take a couple years. But it certainly is a very plausible situation, especially looking at what I pointed out. None of that was "wishing" using hypotheticals of improvements that "could" happen to local schools NDSU competes with (and beats right now) for recruits. It's off of concrete improvements that present legitimate competition compared to what things were. Also USeD had a better recruiter as a head coach, so that's more to be added to the list. Just saying "ha ha we're NDSU keep wishing we did this and this" is the definition of bus son arrogance. But I didn't expect anything different I'm more interested in what other teams fans think.

IBleedYellow
January 17th, 2017, 06:17 PM
So, basically no addressing any of the points I made, just pointing at what happened. Considering all the regional teams I mentioned have the capability to match the FCOA NDSU can offer, it kinda neutralizes that advantage unless you're recruiting against the Citadel all the time. Actually SDSU can beat ndsu's offer I believe from what I remember seeing due to what the cost of attendance comes out to be in Brookings. Yes I know SDSU isn't able to offer every recruit FCOA at the moment, but they can offer it if they need to. But if your rebuttal is to point at the past when realistically there have been massive upgrades to your opponents and potential competition, that's the definition of having the blinders on. Also note I mentioned that it isn't going to happen immediately, it will take a couple years. But it certainly is a very plausible situation, especially looking at what I pointed out. None of that was "wishing" using hypotheticals of improvements that "could" happen to local schools NDSU competes with (and beats right now) for recruits. It's off of concrete improvements that present legitimate competition compared to what things were. Also USeD had a better recruiter as a head coach, so that's more to be added to the list. Just saying "ha ha we're NDSU keep wishing we did this and this" is the definition of bus son arrogance. But I didn't expect anything different I'm more interested in what other teams fans think.

We both know that Stig will still be conservative in the playoffs and that will screw you.

Until Stig leaves, I'm not too worried.

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 06:29 PM
We both know that Stig will still be conservative in the playoffs and that will screw you.

Until Stig leaves, I'm not too worried.

Oh I'm not talking H2H in the playoffs or that SDSU is winning a natty, just that upped regional competition for recruits especially from the goofs could potentially hurt the bison.

Kemo
January 17th, 2017, 06:48 PM
And UNIs top commit out of Minnesota power house, Cretin Durham, has announced that due to coaching changes he no longer has an offer from UNI

**** you UNI. **** you for being a god damn dumpster fire. **** you for pulling a kids off 2 weeks from signing day. What a ****ing joke.

He's going to end up at Iowa. We have a game against Iowa in 2018. I hope he puts 200 yards up on UNI
Haven't been keeping up over here as well as I usually do. What's going on at UNI? I heard Paup went to UofM but that's it.

IBleedYellow
January 17th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Haven't been keeping up over here as well as I usually do. What's going on at UNI? I heard Paup went to UofM but that's it.
They are losing like 5-6 assistants. Go read PantherNation or ask Clenz.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 06:53 PM

Long story short they're losing almost the entire coaching staff. Plus more fun I'll let clenz talk about, it's mayhem.

GodHelpTheBears
January 17th, 2017, 06:54 PM

I don't think it is possible for MSU to beat UNI. It goes against the entire framework of my football knowledge - touchdowns are worth 6 points, the band and the PA will play over each other during home games, and MSU will lose to UNI. It just is.

F'N Hawks
January 17th, 2017, 07:07 PM

He is not your top recruit, not even close. Pretty stiff. Honestly, other than the bad optics he isn't any great loss. And he sure as hell isn't going to Iowa or anywhere unless he is a school start walkon or something

PantherRob82
January 17th, 2017, 07:11 PM
UNI is ****ed. Go Drake!

F'N Hawks
January 17th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Drake is solid.

I see Farley now called Cretin guy and said it was all a mistake. Offer stands! Lol

PantherRob82
January 17th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Drake is solid.

I see Farley now called Cretin guy and said it was all a mistake. Offer stands! Lol

I'm sure that really won him over. xlolx

Farley: "Hey bud, I have no control over this dumpster fire down here, but you should come. We still want you. "

centennial
January 17th, 2017, 09:14 PM

You wrote a fantasy piece.
- New president will be bad, we don't know yet.
- Recruiting is going to be harder, sure but NDSU is going after a lot of G5 kids. Yes, NDSU doesn't get every kid that they want but let me point that recruiting as a whole is much better than 10 years ago. Even better than it used to be when Bohl was the coach in 2013. Increased local competition can hurt certainly, but I haven't seen it hurting yet.
- SDSU having a higher FCOA amount. Not sure how much that counts when only a certain kids get it. Do you have numbers on how many have it? Things will change if SDSU can offer it to every recruit.
- One other thing- national profile. NDSU has been on ESPN a LOT. Carson Wentz and the other NFL players aren't hurting either. Helps with recruiting.

I am not saying that NDSU is infallible, and there are plenty of good programs that have fallen. Just that the likelihood of it happening is low. Fargo has a winning football culture, similar to Tuscaloosa. Failure isn't tolerated easily for football. On the other hand Stig has already hit his ceiling.

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 09:27 PM
You wrote a fantasy piece.
- New president will be bad, we don't know yet.
- Recruiting is going to be harder, sure but NDSU is going after a lot of G5 kids. Yes, NDSU doesn't get every kid that they want but let me point that recruiting as a whole is much better than 10 years ago. Even better than it used to be when Bohl was the coach. Increased local competition can hurt certainly, but I haven't seen it hurting yet.
- SDSU having a higher FCOA amount. Not sure how much that counts when only a certain kids get it. Do you have numbers on how many have it? Things will change if SDSU can offer it to every recruit.
- One other thing- national profile. NDSU has been on ESPN a LOT. Carson Wentz and the other NFL players aren't hurting either. Helps with recruiting.

I am not saying that NDSU is infallible, and there are plenty of good programs that have fallen. Just that the likelihood of it happening is low. Fargo has a winning football culture, similar to Tuscaloosa. Failure isn't tolerated easily for football. On the other hand Stig will has already hit his ceiling.

Fantasy piece? Really? xlolx you're delusional. I never said it would happen, I said it's possible. Yeah, NDSU is in the national profile, for now. I bet you see that shrink considerably now that the streak is over. Of course you haven't seen the local recruiting have an effect yet. SDSU just got their new stadium this year, and there's a large difference between being able to bring your recruits into the stadium compared to just pointing at some construction. UND just made the playoffs for the first time this year. The FCOA level matters when it comes down to a battle for the same recruit, if both want the same recruit badly, then it does matter, don't be ridiculous. And I understand that NFL players help with recruiting, and Wentz likely has a bigger impact than SDSUs recruits, but the fun fact is SDSU has the better NFL pedigree on the high end and recognition. A NFL Hall of Famer and another one on the way, and every person who knows Wentz has known the name Vinateiri for much longer. My point was that NDSU had those advantages prior to SDSU improving their facilities, so the Jacks adding the new facilities closed the gap. As to the Stig hitting his ceiling comment, that's a pretty retarded comment considering that the Jacks have set new school landmarks for rankings, records, and distance into the playoffs for the last three years or so now. Hitting his ceiling would need to show a plateau, yes? Hasn't happened yet.

BisonTru
January 17th, 2017, 10:10 PM
My thoughts on Thump's assessment which are a lot of wishful thinking, IMO.

1. The next President's a pretty big unknown, and really projecting he will be bad for NDSU's football future is throwing blind darts, IMO.

2. Also, I share similar thoughts on Fleck. Whether he really tries to pull more kids out of MN is an unknown, and even if he does NDSU will look towards Wisconsin and other areas. So really not much of a concern for me. I still think Fleck will feel pressure to pull kids from outside the region if he expects to compete in the B1G.

3. Most importantly when it comes to recruiting the region I think NDSU needs to maintain their spot ahead of the rest of the FCS schools in the region. SDSU has a new stadium. UND has their new success and indoor facility, but really beating out the packed Fargodome and the tradition of NDSU football will be a tough sell as it has been. Sure there will be some, but NDSU generally wins most of these recruiting battles.

4. Klieman getting poached is possible, but he didn't really build the program. As long as we make a decent (IMO in house hire) we can be fine. Even all that though is a lot of projecting.

5. We sell bacon on a stick. Until other teams get on board with this program I don't see any reason NDSU gives up their upper hand. xcoolx

Hammersmith
January 17th, 2017, 10:18 PM

Do you have sources we don't? AFAIK, DB hasn't been offered the Ohio job. I think they may still have one candidate left to interview; at least they did as of yesterday. So while DB may very well be leaving, it hasn't happened yet and it may not at all.

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Do you have sources we don't? AFAIK, DB hasn't been offered the Ohio job. I think they may still have one candidate left to interview; at least they did as of yesterday. So while DB may very well be leaving, it hasn't happened yet and it may not at all.

Hmph, I was given the impression he had taken the job. Welp, that's what I get for not researching what I'm told.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 18th, 2017, 06:59 AM
I don't think Fleck will have that much effect or any on NDSU recruiting. He seems like a lot of "hot air" watching him in some of his interviews. The Twin Cities has many very good recruits and the Gophers will not get them all. He's bringing WMU recruits with him.......Maybe he'll be a decent coach, I have my doubts.

As for Thumper's post on NDSU's potential fall, it will not happen. Will they continue to make the NC game? Obviously no, but NDSU is going no where. They will be consistently at the top of the Valley and the top of the FCS. NDSU is a football school and the alum and Teammakers will not accept a subpar team. There will be down years for sure but this program will always be successful.

Bring on SDSU, UND and USD.

NDSU returns a ton for next year. DeLuca and Tanguay are coming back on defense and it will be loaded. The defense loses 1 DE and 2 LBs. The offense needs to replace 3 OL, which doesn't concern me because NDSU always replaces OL. Great RFR class is coming in and this year's recruiting class looks awesome so far.

Teams that will make a run at the Valley title in 2017 IMO:

NDSU
YSU
SDSU
Ill State

UNI and WIU could also.

Sycamore62
January 18th, 2017, 08:30 AM
ISUb sounds like they are about to hire Curt Mallory as HC. Defensive coach that's been at Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and most recently Wyoming. I dont know how this will affect 2017. I dont think we still have our OC from last year so that will be one thing he has to hire. we lost about half our staff which might allow him to pick his own guys.

POD Knows
January 18th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Fantasy piece? Really? xlolx you're delusional. I never said it would happen, I said it's possible. Yeah, NDSU is in the national profile, for now. I bet you see that shrink considerably now that the streak is over. Of course you haven't seen the local recruiting have an effect yet. SDSU just got their new stadium this year, and there's a large difference between being able to bring your recruits into the stadium compared to just pointing at some construction. UND just made the playoffs for the first time this year. The FCOA level matters when it comes down to a battle for the same recruit, if both want the same recruit badly, then it does matter, don't be ridiculous. And I understand that NFL players help with recruiting, and Wentz likely has a bigger impact than SDSUs recruits, but the fun fact is SDSU has the better NFL pedigree on the high end and recognition. A NFL Hall of Famer and another one on the way, and every person who knows Wentz has known the name Vinateiri for much longer. My point was that NDSU had those advantages prior to SDSU improving their facilities, so the Jacks adding the new facilities closed the gap. As to the Stig hitting his ceiling comment, that's a pretty retarded comment considering that the Jacks have set new school landmarks for rankings, records, and distance into the playoffs for the last three years or so now. Hitting his ceiling would need to show a plateau, yes? Hasn't happened yet.

Yea, I heard the Vinateiri jersey was the #1 selling NFL jersey this year. Most people think Vinateiri was some foreigner that played soccer someplace and ended up on an NFL roster.

I don't have an issue with anything else you said expect the Jacks still suck balls.

Noryan34
January 18th, 2017, 09:05 AM
The president thing still boggles my mind. Almost from day 1 I agree there had been this witch hunt to get rid of him by any means possible. But if you look at the University, they are light years ahead of where they were 5-6 years ago. If I were him I would want out too. Now they will just hire some yes man and set the university back. So yes the new president could hurt big time. But without knowing who it is; saying it will is just speculation.

As far as the stadium goes? I remember watching parts of the SDSU game and saw many open seats. Not sure a stadium you can't fill during its inaugural game is such a great selling point when comparing it to the FargoDome. The new facilities probably help some though so I will give you that.

As far as Fleck at UM, ya maybe he takes a couple recruits in his first class or two but if he doesn't win and make it to B1G title games it won't matter. He won't be trying to poach recruits that go to FCS, he will be trying for the recruits that choose Iowa, Wisconsin instead. Minnesota is a dumpster fire when it comes to athletics. Look at their MBB program, two huge high profile coaching hires in last 10 years and they couldn't bring relevance to the program. I doubt he will do the same. And if he does he will go higher on the recruit ladder and still wont be competing with NDSU for many of his recruits.

Eventually Klieman will go. And the continued success of the program will be predicated on the next coach. Let's hope Larson has the same vision Taylor did when he hired Klieman.

NDSU is a couple bad bounces a year from a 7-4 season. But someone they manage to have them go there way. I don't see that changing next year.

POD Knows
January 18th, 2017, 09:13 AM
The president thing still boggles my mind. Almost from day 1 I agree there had been this witch hunt to get rid of him by any means possible. But if you look at the University, they are light years ahead of where they were 5-6 years ago. If I were him I would want out too. Now they will just hire some yes man and set the university back. So yes the new president could hurt big time. But without knowing who it is; saying it will is just speculation.

As far as the stadium goes? I remember watching parts of the SDSU game and saw many open seats. Not sure a stadium you can't fill during its inaugural game is such a great selling point when comparing it to the FargoDome. The new facilities probably help some though so I will give you that.

As far as Fleck at UM, ya maybe he takes a couple recruits in his first class or two but if he doesn't win and make it to B1G title games it won't matter. He won't be trying to poach recruits that go to FCS, he will be trying for the recruits that choose Iowa, Wisconsin instead. Minnesota is a dumpster fire when it comes to athletics. Look at their MBB program, two huge high profile coaching hires in last 10 years and they couldn't bring relevance to the program. I doubt he will do the same. And if he does he will go higher on the recruit ladder and still wont be competing with NDSU for many of his recruits.

Eventually Klieman will go. And the continued success of the program will be predicated on the next coach. Let's hope Larson has the same vision Taylor did when he hired Klieman.

NDSU is a couple bad bounces a year from a 7-4 season. But someone they manage to have them go there way. I don't see that changing next year.

I hate the Gophers with every fiber of my being but their football team has made strides and their MBB team was in the top 25 for a while. Their hockey team has had the biggest fall from grace recently.

Agree with the rest of your post.

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 09:20 AM
UNI has David Johnson, Kurt Warner and Bryce Paup to sell to recruits (along with all of that other NFL guys we have/do have). That certainly helps to some extent, but selling "Carson Wentz is an NFL QB" to a free safety doesn't do a ton

Trumpster
January 18th, 2017, 09:24 AM
5. We sell bacon on a stick. Until other teams get on board with this program I don't see any reason NDSU gives up their upper hand. xcoolx

Wait, what? Have I been ignoring the concession stands and missing out on this the whole time?

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 18th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I hate the Gophers with every fiber of my being but their football team has made strides and their MBB team was in the top 25 for a while. Their hockey team has had the biggest fall from grace recently.

Agree with the rest of your post.

Hockey and wrestling have been the 2 programs that have done well in the gopher program. With Robinson gone, wrestling will flounder IMO. Lucia needs to go and bring in someone else.

And yes, the Jacks suck!!!

:D

BisonTru
January 18th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Wait, what? Have I been ignoring the concession stands and missing out on this the whole time?

SE corner. It's disguised as a philly cheese steak shack. Which is a double edge sword. On the bright side most people don't know about it. On the other side about every 10th person in line is getting a philly which holds up the whole process.

Thumper 76
January 18th, 2017, 10:01 AM

I've been in the stands of the Fargodome a whopping 3 times and I knew this xlolx

ytownchief22
January 18th, 2017, 10:11 AM
YSU loses 6 starters on defense. Along with Webb and Ruiz at RB on offense. Defense will be the big question for the guins heading into the season. Heard some transfers may be coming in to help though.

Bison56
January 18th, 2017, 10:18 AM

http://gifs.joelglovier.com/big-lebowski/gun.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjqn7ScjMzRAhVm1oMKHTpMD1IQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgifs.joelglovier.com%2F&bvm=bv.144224172,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNGShgyNqiParEy44uoRvUvhuRADeg&ust=1484842535354127)

Bisonator
January 18th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Oh where oh where to begin.....you are starting to sound like a UND fan bunny boy! Hoping and praying that NDSU will fall to your level. xlolx

First of all, DB hasn't left yet but even if he does it won't effect our athletic program much if at all. NDSU has always been underfunded from the state but our AD will be covered by private donors similar to the past 50 years plus.

Secondly, as far as recruiting UND, SDSU and USD will continue to fight for our scraps. Not to mention even if you win some battles along the way it still comes down to developing those players, coaching, execution, etc. You all have a ways to go. Hell look at SDSU's entire D2 record. Wouldn't be shocked to see USD eventually pass you bunny turds along the way to second place behind the Bison.:D

Third, don't get too attached to the rock as we plan on getting it back this year. It's going to be great taking of Dyk's new house this year.xnodx

Finally kicking your ass in the PO's never gets old. Looking forward to another round 2 PO game if you guys happen to make it back to Fargo this year. Knowing you guys you'll probably lay another egg in Missoula this year.xpeacex

Trumpster
January 18th, 2017, 10:23 AM
I've been in the stands of the Fargodome a whopping 3 times and I knew this xlolx

I'm usually not one to buy food at stadiums because holy **** prices so I don't even look.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 18th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Oh where oh where to begin.....you are starting to sound like a UND fan bunny boy! Hoping and praying that NDSU will fall to your level. xlolx

First of all, DB hasn't left yet but even if he does it won't effect our athletic program much if at all. NDSU has always been underfunded from the state but our AD will be covered by private donors similar to the past 50 years plus.

Secondly, as far as recruiting UND, SDSU and USD will continue to fight for our scraps. Not to mention even if you win some battles along the way it still comes down to developing those players, coaching, execution, etc. You all have a ways to go. Hell look at SDSU's entire D2 record. Wouldn't be shocked to see USD eventually pass you bunny turds along the way to second place behind the Bison.:D

Third, don't get too attached to the rock as we plan on getting it back this year. It's going to be great taking of Dyk's new house this year.xnodx

Finally kicking your ass in the PO's never gets old. Looking forward to another round 2 PO game if you guys happen to make it back to Fargo this year. Knowing you guys you'll probably lay another egg in Missoula this year.xpeacex

I'll give SDSU some credit for being a good FCS program now with some playoff wins. They didn't do jack squat at the D2 level for their whole existence there......IIRC, they had a whole.....1....playoff game as a D2 program.

They do have a nice new stadium by the looks of pictures, it will be nice to see it in person this fall.

I just wish the FargoDome was the original size it was intended to be.....27K......:(

Bisonator
January 18th, 2017, 10:26 AM

Good to know your doing OK clenz. I was getting a little concerned with the goings on at UNI.xcoffeex
BTW do you still care about UNI BB? Maybe need to amend your sig to be all encompassing? :D

BisonTru
January 18th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I'm usually not one to buy food at stadiums because holy **** prices so I don't even look.

It's $2. I found the holy bacon stand by accident because I just picked a line to get a $3 bottle of a beverage that comes out of the faucet at home for nearly nothing.

Bisonator
January 18th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I'll give SDSU some credit for being a good FCS program now with some playoff wins. They didn't do jack squat at the D2 level for their whole existence there......IIRC, they had a whole.....1....playoff game as a D2 program.

They do have a nice new stadium by the looks of pictures, it will be nice to see it in person this fall.

I just wish the FargoDome was the original size it was intended to be.....27K......:(
I know just giving thumper some crap. They have certainly been a much better FCS program.

ysubigred
January 18th, 2017, 10:31 AM
YSU loses 6 starters on defense. Along with Webb and Ruiz at RB on offense. Defense will be the big question for the guins heading into the season. Heard some transfers may be coming in to help though.

Defense will be fine. #11 will be the biggest replacement issue. The other 5 guys missed games and playing time. The backfill behind them did an adequate job filling in. Given another year and more reps in spring ball will help.

Offense is always my concern at YSU. YSU made it without Ruiz in the playoffs and did well. Webb looks to be replaced by another outstanding recruit from the Cincy area. Two Oline guys graduated but it seems YSU was healthy behind them.

Future looks bright at Penguin U xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 18th, 2017, 10:35 AM
I know just giving thumper some crap. They have certainly been a much better FCS program.

I figured that. thumper needs to get a lot of crap....:D

Some say Cox (LB) and Radunz (OL) are going to make a big impact as RFR....IMO, Cox is starting this fall.

Thumper 76
January 18th, 2017, 11:54 AM

First off I'm not hoping for **** xlolx At all. I started to notice things when seeing what is happening at UNI and started to look around the league to see if a MVFC drop off is possible (which it very much is btw) and noticed possible things.

Second, sure for now that's accurate about fighting for scraps. As for pointing to D2 I could say the same for NDSU, y'all weren't exactly world beaters when we made the move up. I believe UND was whooping the piss out of you around that time frame, no?

As for the Missoula comment, if SDSU doesn't get a seed this year with the way the schedule falls it will be an utter failure as a program.

Oh and finally, what better way to get a thread rolling around here than to bring up Casey's pizza and ruffle the feathers of the bison? Honestly it's not like I'm calling for losing seasons, just a fall back to reality a bit. In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the subdivision and conference has been improving overall.

Bisonator
January 18th, 2017, 01:18 PM
First off I'm not hoping for **** xlolx At all. I started to notice things when seeing what is happening at UNI and started to look around the league to see if a MVFC drop off is possible (which it very much is btw) and noticed possible things.

Second, sure for now that's accurate about fighting for scraps. As for pointing to D2 I could say the same for NDSU, y'all weren't exactly world beaters when we made the move up. I believe UND was whooping the piss out of you around that time frame, no?

As for the Missoula comment, if SDSU doesn't get a seed this year with the way the schedule falls it will be an utter failure as a program.

Oh and finally, what better way to get a thread rolling around here than to bring up Casey's pizza and ruffle the feathers of the bison? Honestly it's not like I'm calling for losing seasons, just a fall back to reality a bit. In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the subdivision and conference has been improving overall.

I wouldn't count UNI out just yet. I also wouldn't automatically move SDSU up either.;)

No. Just no. They may have won a few more games during the '90s and '00s but they were certainly not "whooping the piss" out of us.xlolx

Paladin1aa
January 18th, 2017, 01:19 PM
On the front at YSU -- look for help to come from the transfers/Jucos. Bo's High school recruiting the first two years have been awful ( 1st) and average(2nd). They got big help from Nebraska transfers and some Jucos. Much of the team that went to the nationals this year were Wolf's recruits. Losing both DEs, all the secondary, left side of OL, both top RBs and will still have a QB problem, average WRs. Ditto the LBs. Recruits thus far ( commits) show little improvement. Turner , a RB from Cincy LaSalle is a SB type player, 5'9, 170. There are some area players who went to major D-I that may be coming back home. I look for YSU to drop off next season and depending on the incoming recruit class, how much help they get from transfers and Jucos will determine if they stay in the top half of the MVFC. High school recruits are not going to do it. That is Bo's Achilles heal.

Thumper 76
January 18th, 2017, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't count UNI out just yet. I also wouldn't automatically move SDSU up either.;)

No. Just no. They may have won a few more games during the '90s and '00s but they were certainly not "whooping the piss" out of us.xlolx
Oh I'm not moving SDSU up, they have been better than UNI over the past 6 years and it's not debatable if you're honest and look at the facts in H2H, playoffs, playoff wins, OOC wins, and ranking.

Trust me I'm more worried about what happens to SDSU in two to three years when Stig retires than I am expecting a massive drop off at NDSU. I'm just saying there are some factors that could bump NDSU in that direction for a little bit.

On the front at YSU -- look for help to come from the transfers/Jucos. Bo's High school recruiting the first two years have been awful ( 1st) and average(2nd). They got big help from Nebraska transfers and some Jucos. Much of the team that went to the nationals this year were Wolf's recruits. Losing both DEs, all the secondary, left side of OL, both top RBs and will still have a QB problem, average WRs. Ditto the LBs. Recruits thus far ( commits) show little improvement. Turner , a RB from Cincy LaSalle is a SB type player, 5'9, 170. There are some area players who went to major D-I that may be coming back home. I look for YSU to drop off next season and depending on the incoming recruit class, how much help they get from transfers and Jucos will determine if they stay in the top half of the MVFC. High school recruits are not going to do it. That is Bo's Achilles heal.

I was wondering what everyone is bringing back for next year. SDSU returns 17 of 22 starters I believe, and only lose really 1.5 starters from the offensive side in their #3 WR and a OT who split time during every game. With SDSUs schedule, if they have more than two losses it will be a disappointing season. Total cakewalk OOC schedule and getting to have NDSU, UNI, and ISUr all at home, while the road conference games are YSU, Misery St, WIU, and USeD. Also SIU is a home game. Expectations are going to be sky high for this team.

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 01:38 PM

O/U for UNI is 3.5 wins....

Bisonator
January 18th, 2017, 01:51 PM
O/U for UNI is 3.5 wins....
Lol I'll take the over. Farley's good for at least 4 or 5. xlolx

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Lol I'll take the over. Farley's good for at least 4 or 5. xlolx
Where?

@ Iowa State
Cal Poly
@ SUU
@SIU
WIU
@SDSU
YSU
@NDSU
USD
@MSU
ISUB

My thoughts

@ Iowa State - L...Hate to admit it but ISU was getting their **** together by the end of last season
Cal Poly - 50/50
@ SUU - W
@SIU - W
WIU - L
@SDSU - L
YSU - L
@NDSU - L
USD - 50/50
@MSU - W
ISUB - 50/50

I have 3 with 3 50/50s. UNI is notoriously bad at 50/50s.

Bisonator
January 18th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Where?

@ Iowa State
Cal Poly
@ SUU
@SIU
WIU
@SDSU
YSU
@NDSU
USD
@MSU
ISUB

My thoughts

@ Iowa State - L...Hate to admit it but ISU was getting their **** together by the end of last season
Cal Poly - 50/50
@ SUU - W
@SIU - W
WIU - L
@SDSU - L
YSU - L
@NDSU - L
USD - 50/50
@MSU - W
ISUB - 50/50

You guys always get up for IS and they could have been trending up but it's a long off season so I'd say that one is 50/50.
CP at home should be a win.
ISB at home should be a win.
Hell any of the games could be 50/50 depending on which UNI team shows up. That's the story every year with you guys. Think positive man!

IBleedYellow
January 18th, 2017, 04:42 PM
NDSU offered Bo Pelini's son Patrick last weekend.

dewey
January 19th, 2017, 07:08 AM
NDSU offered Bo Pelini's son Patrick last weekend.

Here is a link to the article.

http://www.westfargopioneer.com/sports/bison/4200867-kolpack-ndsu-offering-bo-pelinis-son-spices-recruiting-season

Dewey

ysubigred
January 19th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Where?

@ Iowa State
Cal Poly
@ SUU
@SIU
WIU
@SDSU
YSU
@NDSU
USD
@MSU
ISUB

My thoughts

Cal Poly - 50/50
@ SUU - W
@SIU - W
WIU - L
@SDSU - L
YSU - L
@NDSU - L
USD - 50/50
@MSU - W
ISUB - 50/50

YSU got it's 1 win in 10 try's against UNI last year. I'd make that a W or at least a 50/50 xrolleyesx

dewey
January 19th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Where?

@ Iowa State
Cal Poly
@ SUU
@SIU
WIU
@SDSU
YSU
@NDSU
USD
@MSU
ISUB

My thoughts

Cal Poly - 50/50
@ SUU - W
@SIU - W
WIU - L
@SDSU - L
YSU - L
@NDSU - L
USD - 50/50
@MSU - W
ISUB - 50/50

I would say that UNI is at least a 5-6 win team. A fair over/under would be 5.5 or 6.5.

I have been trying to catch up on the UNI drama. Good lord Clenz that football team is going to drive you ballistic.

Dewey

UNIFanSince1983
January 19th, 2017, 08:36 AM
I would say that UNI is at least a 5-6 win team. A fair over/under would be 5.5 or 6.5.

I have been trying to catch up on the UNI drama. Good lord Clenz that football team is going to drive you ballistic.

Dewey

Normally we have basketball to fall back on, but they have been STRUGGLING this year too. xbawlingx

clenz
January 19th, 2017, 08:52 AM

Dewey
Most people think I'm overly dramatic when I say something. I think IBY and Thumper have realized in the last week that the doom and gloom I've been selling in our group text for a few months may not be just be overreacting. I believe one of them actually said something to the affect of "Yep. Ya'll are f-ed" the other day.

BisonBacker
January 19th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Oh I'm not talking H2H in the playoffs or that SDSU is winning a natty, just that upped regional competition for recruits especially from the goofs could potentially hurt the bison.

You can come up with all the reasons in the world but it still doesn't change the fact that SDSU is in Brookings and NDSU is in Fargo. Totally serious and no slam just stating facts. Kids looking at the 2 will see a difference. Fargo compared to Brookings is New York compared to Petty Coat Junction.

mango433
January 19th, 2017, 09:23 AM
You can come up with all the reasons in the world but it still doesn't change the fact that SDSU is in Brookings and NDSU is in Fargo. Totally serious and no slam just stating facts. Kids looking at the 2 will see a difference. Fargo compared to Brookings is New York compared to Petty Coat Junction.

Holy! I've never considered this before! You mean Fargo is bigger than Brookings? Never guessed that

Thumper 76
January 19th, 2017, 09:24 AM

It's a bigger difference from a fan building perspective tbh. I have no doubt it will matter for kids from large metro areas but overall I don't think it's as huge of a deal.

GodHelpTheBears
January 19th, 2017, 05:52 PM
It's a bigger difference from a fan building perspective tbh. I have no doubt it will matter for kids from large metro areas but overall I don't think it's as huge of a deal.

It turns out that having an administration/alumni base/student body/community that gives a rat's ass about football and how it relates to their university matters a lot more.

cx500d
January 19th, 2017, 06:58 PM
UNI has David Johnson, Kurt Warner and Bryce Paup to sell to recruits (along with all of that other NFL guys we have/do have). That certainly helps to some extent, but selling "Carson Wentz is an NFL QB" to a free safety doesn't do a ton

Tyrone Braxton was a Bison. Steve Nelson was a Bison. Phil Hanson was a Bison. Craig Dahl was a Bison. Marcus Williams was a Bison. They all played defense. I could keep going.

BisonFan02
January 19th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Most people think I'm overly dramatic when I say something. I think IBY and Thumper have realized in the last week that the doom and gloom I've been selling in our group text for a few months may not be just be overreacting. I believe one of them actually said something to the affect of "Yep. Ya'll are f-ed" the other day.

Which is exactly why UNI will win the Valley next year.

TheKingpin28
January 19th, 2017, 10:30 PM

#bookit

JayJ79
January 19th, 2017, 10:36 PM
It's $2. I found the holy bacon stand by accident because I just picked a line to get a $3 bottle of a beverage that comes out of the faucet at home for nearly nothing.

of course most stadiums don't allow you to bring in outside food or beverage.
but many will allow you to bring in empty water bottles of some sort, which can be filled at the drinking fountain.
cheaper and better for the environment
(yes, I'm a cheap skate)

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 20th, 2017, 05:22 AM

Maybe we'll see the wishbone from Farley this year.....xeyebrowx....:D

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 20th, 2017, 05:25 AM
My midwinter take on which teams will make a run for the Valley title:

1st tier:

NDSU
SDSU
YSU
Ill State

2nd tier:

WIU
UNI
USD

Bottom tier:

Ind State
MSU
SIU

caribbeanhen
January 20th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Is Paul McCartney going to make the Big concert next year or will he be sending another warm up band...

UNIFanSince1983
January 20th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Maybe we'll see the wishbone from Farley this year.....xeyebrowx....:D

It would make perfect Farley sense to do it the year after we have the perfect QB for it.

POD Knows
January 20th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Is Paul McCartney going to make the Big concert next year or will he be sending another warm up band...

Paul will be there xthumbsupx

Redbird 4th & short
January 20th, 2017, 08:36 AM
ISU's only real area of concern is OL .. lost 4 of 5 starters. We like our young guys, but they are unproven.

We have good depth returning averywhere else except LB. But we just picked up a 4 star Juco/TCU transfer.

Defenisvely ..
- DL group has our entire 2 deep back
- DB group has 7 of top 8 back, including all 4 starters
- LB group is thin, though we like RB turned LB a lot, and now FBS/Juco transfer Horton .. we like our ypung guys, but the rest our unproven. Spack and Nowinsky will make it work evetually .. always does

Offensively ..
- OL group is big question mark with just 1 starter returning .. looking for FBS transfer to shore that up. Love our young guys, but remains to be seen. Been thru this before and evetually young guys stepped up under OL Coach Clark.
- WR group .. lost stud Warrum, but we have our next 6 pass catchers back, plus young guys waiting their turn.
- RB group .. RB committee worked well last year .. 1720 yards with 5.3 ypc. Got 2 good ones coming back.
- TE group .. 2 deep is back but more for blocking than catching
- QB .. we like who we got, and he will continue to get better ... pending OL finfing themeselves. Backup should and needs to emeger .. got a true FR 3 star coming in.

Special teams .. most everyone is back.

Other than OL, we are very optimistic about how much skill and depth we have for 2017.

clenz
January 20th, 2017, 09:12 AM
No.

Look at what UNI has back...or doesn't....

QB:
Eli Dunne: I love what he can be...he's already been cucussed...twice (I think). Sawyer Kollmoregen ringing a bell for anyone? After him it's a whole lot of unproven nothing.

RB:
There's 3 running backs on the roster right now and one of them played slot WR most of last year. Between the three of them there is 43 carries for 143 yards returning from last year. Senior J'Veyon Browning had 39 for 123 and 3 TD. He was pretty solid when he got in the game. Looked real good against Iowa State and then Farley made him disappear for 7 weeks. Sophomore Aaron Graham (I didn't know this was a UNI football player) had 3 for 18 yards and Sophomore Trevor Allen had 1 for 2 yards (granted he was second on the team in receiving yards - 22 catches for 341 yards). I think Allen will take over Michael Malloy's role as the slot/motion RB/WR combo. Our actual leading returning rusher is a WR (though he was a RB that ran for almost 4k yards in high school), JR Marcus Weymiller. He had 32 carries for 246 yards.

So yeah...running the ball won't happen

WR:
Good news is everyone is back and the key guys here by the end of the year were freshman and sophomores. Something like 85-90%+ of all receiving stats are back.....so...yay?

OL:
Lose a 4 year starter at center. Lose 3 year starter at RG. We do return LT and RT who will now be 3 year starters and a LG who was a sophomore...but the OL wasn't particularly good so I'm not sure if it's good or bad we lose that many starts from our center and RG or good that we return what we do....or....it's not good. There's a reason Eli was concussed twice last year.

TE:
HAHAHAHAHA....We don't even know what those are at UNI.

DL:
Lose Karter Schult...so...that sucks. Everyone else returns though, so that's good. We also lost DL Coach Bryce Paup who had been around for 4 years...so...that sucks.

LB:
Everyone is back except D'Shawn Dexter...so that's good

DBs:
Everyone is back and they were all sophomores last year so that's good...but we lost Brandon Lynch, who was the secondary coach. He was damn good.

So..................**** me.

We also have a coup happening...or a coach that was fired calling (might still qualify as a coup)....calling recruits and telling them they no longer have scholarship offers. Meaning Farley has a ****ing mess to clean up, and we know how good he is at that.

Current look at the UNIDome

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/dome_zpsxkr1wj34.png

Bisonator
January 20th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Lol so no different then any other year....xlolx

ysubigred
January 20th, 2017, 09:27 AM

I hope this is as good as last years insight :p

Paladin1aa
January 20th, 2017, 12:08 PM
We will see, Red. Much depends on how many Jucos/transfers come in between now and next season. What he has recruited so far in 2 years, not counting the Jucos/transfers, isn't that good. Time will tell. Thus far in H.S. recruiting , he isn't showing anything great again.

Give me credit. I've had a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG record of being right, calling it right in advance on players, season records, chances at Pros, coaching ability, etc. I am entitled to be wrong, rarely, a few times. Thats a MAJOR reason why I got booted over there. The people there simply don't deal well with reality. And then hate that I got so many predictions right that flew against their "homer" views.

I gladly accept being wrong once or twice if given credit for calling so many right. However, the jerk is still theatening others over there if they don't back off and "share" his views.

BTW, the Pelini kid is a "gifthorse". D-2 player. Was the backup QB until an injury took the starter out and his play at Safety hardly merits a scholly offer. For all the MAC teams in the area, not a single offer. He might be a good candidate for the Ivy League. Good student.

caribbeanhen
January 20th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Paul will be there xthumbsupx

Yep, he aint dead yet... I fully expect him to leave the Wings behind next year and return to the finals

ysubigred
January 20th, 2017, 01:44 PM
We will see, Red. Much depends on how many Jucos/transfers come in between now and next season. What he has recruited so far in 2 years, not counting the Jucos/transfers, isn't that good. Time will tell. Thus far in H.S. recruiting , he isn't showing anything great again.

Give me credit. I've had a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG record of being right, calling it right in advance on players, season records, chances at Pros, coaching ability, etc. I am entitled to be wrong, rarely, a few times. Thats a MAJOR reason why I got booted over there. The people there simply don't deal well with reality. And then hate that I got so many predictions right that flew against their "homer" views.

I gladly accept being wrong once or twice if given credit for calling so many right. However, the jerk is still theatening others over there if they don't back off and "share" his views.

BTW, the Pelini kid is a "gifthorse". D-2 player. Was the backup QB until an injury took the starter out and his play at Safety hardly merits a scholly offer. For all the MAC teams in the area, not a single offer. He might be a good candidate for the Ivy League. Good student.

I don't do much over there anymore. I'd like to see you come out and get back to the games. You're only hurting yourself boycotting seeing the game live.xdrunkyx

Paladin1aa
January 20th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Not going to happen, Red. I'm content watching on the tube. Besides, the AD is a whole thread unto himself. The shafting of the fans ( playoff tickets)is just another example of the annual incompetency of that buffoon. The crowd disappeared for good reasons. I gave them over 20 years of my presence ( and $$$$$$$$$$$) in Penguin Club seats.

I'll write up a review of recruiting for this year after NLOID. Pray for more Jucos /transfers.

GodHelpTheBears
January 20th, 2017, 06:54 PM
I don't know what to make of this team - all I know is they won't make the playoffs.

QB - the Dog Beater returns, but he's a scrotal hair away from expulsion, so Stec and staff brought in a former Mizzou walk on and a JUCO whose other offers were from Alabama A&M and Delaware State to challenge him.

Yeah, I'm not optimistic either.

Whoever starts is gonna have to run for their life. The Dog Beater actually showed a knack for getting out of the pocket and making nice throws under duress, which is a nice skill to have on this team if he stays. I get the hunch the coaching staff is bringing in these guys hoping that he will quietly transfer.

RB - I actually think Crowder and Randall have a bit of talent, but it's not gonna matter with the Mighty Mite line they have to rely on. I don't expect much of a running game.

WR - Holliman and Earl. Solid unit - it's a shame that our QB will have 0.1 seconds at most to throw. Guys like Esters and Drake will be more in the mix, I imagine.

TE - best unit on the team. Furmanek comes back with 2 Big 12 transfers (Scotty Schaffner from Iowa State and Jordan Frazier from Oklahoma State), so our all-Valley guy may not even start. I'm most concerned about who has the best blocking skills, and I doubt Big 12 offenses place a premium on that.

OL - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24411&stc=1

DL - love Isbell, have varying levels of doubt about the others. Many underclassman in this group who weren't involved last year - I would love to see a couple of them step up.

LB - not as bad as you'd think without Cole. Alexz Jones has big shoes to fill as the new defensive leader. McNeece Egbim was highly erratic - he blew obvious assignments and was even benched, but he played almost as well as Cole when he was dialed in, even getting all-Valley honorable mention as a freshman. I've been beating the DFW recruiting drum for years, and he is one example why we should keep it up.

DB - Two 3* guys from Oklahoma (Betts and Joseph) who haven't produced up to their hype thus far. Veteran experience at safety with Beshore and Upchurch.

K/P - who cares, probably lots of punting

I think this team could hold its own in the OVC, etc. but the Valley is brutal, and our guys have to go to Mizzou, Grand Forks, and Fargo in the month of September (and there may be a fourth road trip in there). I think this team will be slightly better overall with a worse record - I don't see how this group gets more than two wins.

cx500d
January 21st, 2017, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=GodHelpTheBears;2449958]
I think this team could hold its own in the OVC, etc. but the Valley is brutal, and our guys have to go to Mizzou, Grand Forks, and Fargo in the month of September (and there may be a fourth road trip in there). I think this team will be slightly better overall with a worse record - I don't see how this group gets more than two wins.[/QUOTE

Und will be coming off a thrashing from a team that was allowed to keep their Indian name and logo, so the will be very beatable

GodHelpTheBears
January 21st, 2017, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=POD Knows;2450002]

Und will be coming off a thrashing from a team that was allowed to keep their Indian name and logo, so the will be very beatable

I think our guys will steal one next year, but not that early. They look a lot better than the pile o' crap they brought to Springfield a few years back.

BisonTru
January 21st, 2017, 07:28 PM
I don't know what to make of this team - all I know is they won't make the playoffs.

QB - the Dog Beater returns, but he's a scrotal hair away from expulsion, so Stec and staff brought in a former Mizzou walk on and a JUCO whose other offers were from Alabama A&M and Delaware State to challenge him.

Yeah, I'm not optimistic either.

Whoever starts is gonna have to run for their life. The Dog Beater actually showed a knack for getting out of the pocket and making nice throws under duress, which is a nice skill to have on this team if he stays. I get the hunch the coaching staff is bringing in these guys hoping that he will quietly transfer.

RB - I actually think Crowder and Randall have a bit of talent, but it's not gonna matter with the Mighty Mite line they have to rely on. I don't expect much of a running game.

WR - Holliman and Earl. Solid unit - it's a shame that our QB will have 0.1 seconds at most to throw. Guys like Esters and Drake will be more in the mix, I imagine.

TE - best unit on the team. Furmanek comes back with 2 Big 12 transfers (Scotty Schaffner from Iowa State and Jordan Frazier from Oklahoma State), so our all-Valley guy may not even start. I'm most concerned about who has the best blocking skills, and I doubt Big 12 offenses place a premium on that.

OL - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24411&stc=1

DL - love Isbell, have varying levels of doubt about the others. Many underclassman in this group who weren't involved last year - I would love to see a couple of them step up.

LB - not as bad as you'd think without Cole. Alexz Jones has big shoes to fill as the new defensive leader. McNeece Egbim was highly erratic - he blew obvious assignments and was even benched, but he played almost as well as Cole when he was dialed in, even getting all-Valley honorable mention as a freshman. I've been beating the DFW recruiting drum for years, and he is one example why we should keep it up.

DB - Two 3* guys from Oklahoma (Betts and Joseph) who haven't produced up to their hype thus far. Veteran experience at safety with Beshore and Upchurch.

K/P - who cares, probably lots of punting

I think this team could hold its own in the OVC, etc. but the Valley is brutal, and our guys have to go to Mizzou, Grand Forks, and Fargo in the month of September (and there may be a fourth road trip in there). I think this team will be slightly better overall with a worse record - I don't see how this group gets more than two wins.

Appreciate the write up, but....

That douche that beat a dog and left him for dead is coming back?! I've lost all respect for Steckel if that is true.

centennial
January 21st, 2017, 08:13 PM

That douche that beat a dog and left him for dead is coming back?! I've lost all respect for Steckel if that is true.

Did he actually beat the dog? Was it confirmed? When I looked at the report the dog seemed like he might been hit by a car even though the news said otherwise.

If it wasn't a car he shouldn't be playing football.

BisonTru
January 21st, 2017, 08:18 PM
Did he actually beat the dog? Was it confirmed? When I looked at the report the dog seemed like he might been hit by a car even though the news said otherwise.

If it wasn't a car he shouldn't be playing football.

TBH, I haven't seen much further than what was released on Facebook which could be totally false. If anyone has anything further on this that vindicates the kid, I'd change my opinion.

Bisonoline
January 21st, 2017, 08:22 PM

There were no eye witnesses. There was no conviction that I know of.

BisonTru
January 21st, 2017, 08:36 PM
There were no eye witnesses. There was no conviction that I know of.

Did a little more reading, and he was convicted of animal cruelty charges. From what I gather he admitted he did it.

Bisonoline
January 21st, 2017, 08:39 PM
Did a little more reading, and he was convicted of animal cruelty charges. From what I gather he admitted he did it.

Link????

BisonTru
January 21st, 2017, 08:40 PM
Link????

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/missouri-state-qb-breck-ruddick-makes-plea-agreement/604883876

BisonTru
January 21st, 2017, 08:47 PM
Here is his lawyers statement

While Mr. Ruddick was caring for the dog while its owner was away, which is not an unusual arrangement, Mr. Ruddick attempted to remove the dog from his bed. The dog then quickly, aggressively, and without warning bit down on Mr. Ruddick's hand, piercing the skin and drawing blood. Acting upon reflex, Mr. Ruddick struck the dog in the mouth until the dog released its grip from his hand, totaling three times. Mr. Ruddick is not a violent person and has never struck an animal or person. Following the bite, Mr. Ruddick placed the dog outside to wait for the owner to arrive home. The dog then ran away, leading to the dog ticket.

IMO, a little tough to believe in it's entirety with the damage that was done to the dog. However, without an eye witness to dispute it, tough to prove that his story of the events isn't true.

Bisonoline
January 21st, 2017, 08:57 PM
Here is his lawyers statement

[/COLOR][/FONT]

IMO, a little tough to believe in it's entirety with the damage that was done to the dog. However, without an eye witness to dispute it, tough to prove that his story of the events isn't true.

Thanks for the link.
Im not disputing that he hit the dog now. But I seriously doubt the force of his punches could fracture the dogs jaw and crack its teeth. I think the dog was hit by a car when it ran away.

Im a retired xray tech and have seen thousands of broken bones and teeth. I dont remember many broken teeth from fights-punches. But there are more broken teeth than I can remember from car accidents, falls and fights when a weapon was used.

BisonTru
January 21st, 2017, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the link.
Im not disputing that he hit the dog now. But I seriously doubt the force of his punches could fracture the dogs jaw and crack its teeth. I think the dog was hit by a car when it ran away.

Im a retired xray tech and have seen thousands of broken bones and teeth. I dont remember many broken teeth from fights-punches. But there are more broken teeth than I can remember from car accidents, falls and fights when a weapon was used.

I agree with you on it not being from punches. In his lawyers statement there is no suggestion of the dog being hit by a car, which leads me to believe that the dog was either kicked or hit with an object.

BigGoosie13
January 21st, 2017, 09:06 PM
Two questions for my friends from Fargo...

1. What, if any, repercussions could the cuts to NDSU have on the football or athletic programs in general? I believe I believe I saw an article that was mentioning up to a 26% cut, will it come to that, I truly hope not for the town and schools sake.

2. Wood Chipper IPA from Fargo Brewing is the first IPA I've actually enjoyed, any other suggestions from them? They seem to have a pretty good selection down here in H2Otown.

BigGoosie13
January 21st, 2017, 09:10 PM

What are YSU's traditional HS recruiting grounds? It's seems like it could be hard pretty hard to recruit Ohio with so many D1 schools in the state and surrounding area.

TheKingpin28
January 21st, 2017, 09:13 PM

1. What, if any, repercussions could the cuts to NDSU have on the football or athletic programs in general? I believe I believe I saw an article that was mentioning up to a 26% cut, will it come to that, I truly hope not for the town and schools sake.

2. Wood Chipper IPA from Fargo Brewing is the first IPA I've actually enjoyed, any other suggestions from them? They seem to have a pretty good selection down here in H2Otown.

1) With the Bison program, the boosters will do what is necessary to make sure funds do not disappear or dry up. With what they did this decade and since the 60s, I would be shocked to see the Football, then Basketball/Wrestling teams take hits if any.

2) If you are looking for that, I enjoy the Stones Throw. Dark ale that goes down smoothly. Otherwise, I enjoy Junkyard Brewing in Moorhead but still can't beat Disgruntled Brewing in Perham MN. Not the biggest IPA fan but the IPAs I have admired came from both of those.

BisonTru
January 21st, 2017, 10:10 PM

1. I not well versed on the subject, but from what I understand things should be fine.

2. Like Kingpin said, I'm a big fan of Stone's Throw. The woodchipper I didn't care for, but I'm not a fan of any IPA's.

1) With the Bison program, the boosters will do what is necessary to make sure funds do not disappear or dry up. With what they did this decade and since the 60s, I would be shocked to see the Football, then Basketball/Wrestling teams take hits if any.

2) If you are looking for that, I enjoy the Stones Throw. Dark ale that goes down smoothly. Otherwise, I enjoy Junkyard Brewing in Moorhead but still can't beat Disgruntled Brewing in Perham MN. Not the biggest IPA fan but the IPAs I have admired came from both of those.

Definitely agree on #2. Big fan of Stone's Throw and Junkyard. I don't live too far from Junkyard. I'll buy you a beer there if you ever want to run over here and have one.

Bisonoline
January 21st, 2017, 11:16 PM
I agree with you on it not being from punches. In his lawyers statement there is no suggestion of the dog being hit by a car, which leads me to believe that the dog was either kicked or hit with an object.

Because the lawyer didnt mention it you arrived at that conclusion?

BisonTru
January 22nd, 2017, 10:34 AM
Because the lawyer didnt mention it you arrived at that conclusion?

Outside of speculation from those far away from the incident I haven't seen anyone close to the events suggest the dog was hit by a car including his own lawyer and the vet that examined the dog.

TheKingpin28
January 22nd, 2017, 01:47 PM
1. I not well versed on the subject, but from what I understand things should be fine.

2. Like Kingpin said, I'm a big fan of Stone's Throw. The woodchipper I didn't care for, but I'm not a fan of any IPA's.

Definitely agree on #2. Big fan of Stone's Throw and Junkyard. I don't live too far from Junkyard. I'll buy you a beer there if you ever want to run over here and have one.

I am usually free on Fridays after 5pm or anytime on Saturday or Sunday. Just send me a PM and we can make something work.

REALBird
January 23rd, 2017, 03:20 PM
Sooooo........the MSU QB beat the crap out of a dog and we're on page 11. Let's see how much this moves the needle with you Saints. LOL

Bisonator
January 23rd, 2017, 03:29 PM
Sooooo........the MSU QB beat the crap out of a dog and we're on page 11. Let's see how much this moves the needle with you Saints. LOL
Page 11? Geeze man increase your posts per page. pffft that was discussed a lot when it went down. Apparently you weren't around or missed it. Try to keep up.;)

Thumper 76
January 23rd, 2017, 03:33 PM
Page 11? Geeze man increase your posts per page. pffft that was discussed a lot when it went down. Apparently you weren't around or missed it. Try to keep up.;)

Yeah we really beat the hell out of that topic...

clenz
January 23rd, 2017, 03:50 PM
I said this when the topic was originally discussed, but there is no ****ing way a dog can be hit in the head by a car hard enough to do that kind of damage and only that damage.

The size of a dogs head compared to a car going the speed required for that damage would have done more damage.

I don't buy that for a second. Also, the fact that it was never part of a plea, or attempt at getting off the charges shows how bull**** taht is.

GodHelpTheBears
January 23rd, 2017, 06:03 PM
We got another QB commit this weekend, kid from Lee's Summit. That's three in this class. I do not believe Dog Beater is wanted, but there must be some legal ramification if they officially kick him out, so they're just loading up on competition and hoping he gets the hint.

If he doesn't, I bet he will be benched in favor of Briggs or the JUCO Huslig.

Bisonoline
January 23rd, 2017, 11:09 PM
I said this when the topic was originally discussed, but there is no ****ing way a dog can be hit in the head by a car hard enough to do that kind of damage and only that damage.

The size of a dogs head compared to a car going the speed required for that damage would have done more damage.

I don't buy that for a second. Also, the fact that it was never part of a plea, or attempt at getting off the charges shows how bull**** taht is.

Of course thats just your opinion.:D

UNIFanSince1983
January 24th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Of course thats just your opinion.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

clenz
January 24th, 2017, 08:25 AM
I don't follow recruitng. My thoughts on the recruiting process are well known here.

HOWEVER, it was fun to see a kid from Muscatine, IA flip from USD to UNI yesterday. Those that follow recruiting/HS football think he's going to be a damn good get at RB. I have no idea, he could bust out instantly.

It just reminded me of the last time USD got a commit from Muscatine, IA. He went to signing day committed to USD on a 3/4 or full ride. UNI came in signing day mid morning with something like a 1/4 scholarship and he signed with UNI at like 2:30PM on signing day. His name was Isaac Ales. He started something like 30 games at UNI, played in something like 45. Was an All Conference DL. Hopefully this back as a similar career.

REALBird
January 24th, 2017, 11:08 AM

I'm just saying if Coprich had sold the kid some weed, he wouldn't be kicking the crap out of dogs. But yeah........the official thread went 7 pages. You guys care more about Casey's pizza and weed than dogs. Priorities man....Priorities.

clenz
January 24th, 2017, 11:24 AM
I'm just saying if Coprich had sold the kid some weed, he wouldn't be kicking the crap out of dogs. But yeah........the official thread went 7 pages. You guys care more about Casey's pizza and weed than dogs. Priorities man....Priorities.
The issue wasn't so much about Coprich selling the weed - though that was discussed.

It was more the complete lack of discipline from Illinois State on it.

He plead guilty to a felony for drug distribution.
He was suspended for 11 days during a no contact dead period.
Within 2 hours of having a felony conviction added to his record he was fully reinstated.
He missed no weight room time
He missed no meetings with coaches
He missed no practices

It was "handled internally"....IE He wasn't made captain and maybe....maybe....probably not but maybe...did a couple extra sprints.

The issue wasn't so much that he sold weed (though it was). The issue was he was dumb enough to get caught and then face no consequences from the program all while there are countless examples of programs in the MVFC kicking players off the team for drug arrests, much less felony convictions.

Preferred Walk-On
January 24th, 2017, 12:04 PM
No.

Current look at the UNIDome

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/dome_zpsxkr1wj34.png

On the bright side...it looks like you will have an open-air stadium next year.

Thumper 76
January 24th, 2017, 12:41 PM

Yup.

Thumper 76
January 24th, 2017, 12:42 PM
On the bright side...it looks like you will have an open-air stadium next year.

Should be easier to expand that way

citdog
January 24th, 2017, 01:03 PM
The issue wasn't so much about Coprich selling the weed - though that was discussed.

Within 2 hours of having a felony conviction added to his record he was fully reinstated.
He missed no practices

It was "handled internally"....IE He wasn't made captain and maybe....maybe....probably not but maybe...did a couple extra sprints.

The issue wasn't so much that he sold weed (though it was). The issue was he was dumb enough to get caught and then face no consequences from the program all while there are countless examples of programs in the MVFC kicking players off the team for drug arrests, much less felony convictions.

The Citadel expelled 3 players who failed drug tests for weed. One rushed for over 600 yards last season. The other two contributed on the defense. I think that is a bit harsh but 'everyone knows the score' when they enroll.

clenz
January 24th, 2017, 01:29 PM
The Citadel expelled 3 players who failed drug tests for weed. One rushed for over 600 yards last season. The other two contributed on the defense. I think that is a bit harsh but 'everyone knows the score' when they enroll.
That's exactly my point at the time.

I'll all for legalized weed. I've got no problem with it. I've never done a single drug that wasn't given to me by a doctor. Why? The risk of getting busted for it hasn't outweighed the few hours of being high. Should it be legalized I'm all for trying it. UNI kicked it's best WR off the team 1 week before playoffs in 2008, a year they were the#1 seed, simply because he lived with a guy that was busted as a drug dealer.

He wants to smoke? Fine
He wants to sell? Dumb, but whatever.
He gets caught and hit with a felony? Better be punished.

Sycamore62
January 25th, 2017, 12:30 PM
In other news Curt Mallory was sworn in as our coach today

REALBird
January 25th, 2017, 01:30 PM

He missed no practices

For the record I agree with you. Just felt like stirring the pot a bit. I'm no dog lover, but poetic justice would have been to put the MSU QB center stage at an illegal dog fight with raw meat strapped to his body.

Yote 53
January 25th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Is there a Casey's in Grand Forks? Could be a sticking point in the conference expansion vote.

Valley Dairy or Simonson are no Casey's. Like conferences you'll be upgrading convenience stores too.

Bisonator
January 25th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Is there a Casey's in Grand Forks? Could be a sticking point in the conference expansion vote.

Valley Dairy or Simonson are no Casey's. Like conferences you'll be upgrading convenience stores too.
Great point. No Casey's, no entry. Thank god that's settled. :D

Thumper 76
January 25th, 2017, 02:01 PM

I like where your heads at. This needs to be discussed more. And if they get a Casey's will it be the good one with a full kitchen? Don't need some scrub half assed one with only a pizza warming spot.

F'N Hawks
January 25th, 2017, 02:03 PM
You guys should see the new southside Simonson's on 32nd Ave, though. What a gorgeous facility. They got Casey's in their sights.

BisonTru
January 25th, 2017, 02:09 PM
You guys should see the new southside Simonson's on 32nd Ave, though. What a gorgeous facility. They got Casey's in their sights.

We're comparing Simonson's to Casey's.

FML.

They aren't ready.

abc123
January 25th, 2017, 02:12 PM

Valley Dairy was recently purchased by Petro Serve out of Fargo

Yote 53
January 25th, 2017, 02:27 PM

I've been there. It is no Casey's.

Shoot, some of those Valley Dairy's over by Gateway Drive, felt like I should be packing heat walking into them and needing a shower after leaving. Hell, I just described pretty much every business over on that side of town, except for Harry's and Fat Albert's. Christ, somebody did tell you guys it isn't 1950 anymore because that side of town seems to have forgotten. Which brings up another question, how does anybody in Grand Forks think they have any standing to rip on Vermillion? I mean, you have been to Grand Forks, right? Jeez, just look around.

F'N Hawks
January 25th, 2017, 02:41 PM
I've been there. It is no Casey's.

Shoot, some of those Valley Dairy's over by Gateway Drive, felt like I should be packing heat walking into them and needing a shower after leaving. Hell, I just described pretty much every business over on that side of town, except for Harry's and Fat Albert's. Christ, somebody did tell you guys it isn't 1950 anymore because that side of town seems to have forgotten. Which brings up another question, how does anybody in Grand Forks think they have any standing to rip on Vermillion? I mean, you have been to Grand Forks, right? Jeez, just look around.

Teams still flying into Sioux City and staying in Yankton? K, bye.

Mayville Bison
January 25th, 2017, 03:34 PM
I like where your heads at. This needs to be discussed more. And if they get a Casey's will it be the good one with a full kitchen? Don't need some scrub half assed one with only a pizza warming spot.

And just when I thought Mayville State had a chance, you go and ruin it with your full kitchen BS.

Bisonoline
January 25th, 2017, 03:48 PM

Dont teams fly in to fargo and bus to GF?

Yote 53
January 25th, 2017, 03:50 PM

You beat me to it.

F'N Hawks
January 25th, 2017, 03:53 PM

Not teams that have any kind of a budget, no. If a random basketball/soccer team does, OK. The point is they don't have to.

Football teams charter right on in.

Yote 53
January 25th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Do they ever get confused and end up next door...in Winnipeg? From the air it probably looks like GF is just a suburb of Canada.

F'N Hawks
January 25th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Do they ever get confused and end up next door...in Winnipeg? From the air it probably looks like GF is just a suburb of Canada.

Ick. Maybe take a couple days off. xconfusedx

mango433
January 25th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Let's get this back on topic.

I drove through a blizzard in south central South Dakota yesterday to get Casey's pizza. That's how good it is.

clenz
January 25th, 2017, 04:38 PM
We had a massive blizzard here too

The my yard by my driveway this morning

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170125/a15418b06e71a94e76e6aa424342d719.jpg

POD Knows
January 25th, 2017, 09:43 PM
Ick. Maybe take a couple days off. xconfusedx

Yea, says the poster of the suburb of some piece of **** Nebraska town. :D

Bison56
January 26th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Let's get this back on topic.

I drove through a blizzard in south central South Dakota yesterday to get Casey's pizza. That's how good it is.

According to Kemo its not very good, but what does that guy know?
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/dnno.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5r7Ct6eDRAhVo7IMKHSFSBAYQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reactiongifs.com%2Ftag%2Fshru g%2F&bvm=bv.145063293,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNGNWfT5_sdZ7Zp7357A-mcYgbSQQw&ust=1485554767438332)

Bison56
January 26th, 2017, 04:21 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/Pjhtvd3bV5KBa/giphy.gif (http://giphy.com/search/eyeroll)

Yote 53
January 26th, 2017, 04:41 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Pjhtvd3bV5KBa/giphy.gif (http://giphy.com/search/eyeroll)

Nice...errrr....lungs.

ST_Lawson
January 27th, 2017, 08:42 AM

If you think getting to Vermillion is rough, you are not going to enjoy trying to get to Macomb.

F'N Hawks
January 27th, 2017, 08:53 AM
If you think getting to Vermillion is rough, you are not going to enjoy trying to get to Macomb.

Where do teams fly into?

Getting to Vermillion is pretty simple for UND. Lol.

clenz
January 27th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Where do teams fly into?

I'd assume the quad cities

ST_Lawson
January 27th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Where do teams fly into?

Teams generally fly into Peoria and stay there overnight. Macomb doesn't have any hotels able to accommodate a football team and it's staff. They bus from Peoria over to Macomb the morning/day of the game, which is about an hour and a half of 2-lane country roads through tiny midwestern towns: https://goo.gl/maps/gkMCxcCuzQy

Towns like the bustling metropolis of New Philadelphia (https://goo.gl/maps/ChZnoCdmssP2).

Ask SDSU fans how much fun that is to do in or immediately after a snowstorm.

I'd assume the quad cities

Peoria is just a tad closer, I think. Usually it's Peoria, but it's possible that some go through the QC airport. You do get mostly 4-lane roads that way, at least.

UNIFanSince1983
January 27th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Where do teams fly into?

I mean realistically any Dakota school can get to any other Dakota school by just hopping on I-29.

ST_Lawson
January 27th, 2017, 09:27 AM
I mean realistically any Dakota school can get to any other Dakota school by just hopping on I-29.

Right, although idk if a football team going from Vermillion to Grand Forks (or vice-versa) is going to drive vs fly. 5 hours is kinda "borderline" depending on the situation, I think. Other sports will probably bus down/up though.

F'N Hawks
January 27th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Right, although idk if a football team going from Vermillion to Grand Forks (or vice-versa) is going to drive vs fly. 5 hours is kinda "borderline" depending on the situation, I think. Other sports will probably bus down/up though.

It's a easy bus trip as long as the weather is good. Omaha on the other hand....that extra 150 miles or whatever seems like an eternity.

Yote 53
January 27th, 2017, 09:35 AM

True. I think we need to go one step further. I think the Feds should build a monorail system that runs from Grand Forks to Kansas City. That would be one hell of a party train.

clenz
January 27th, 2017, 09:37 AM

UNI buses USD and SDSU

Well used to SDSU. Don't know if we still do.

It makes no sense to try to fly usd though. They bus to, and stay in, Sewer City on Friday and then to Verm on Saturday.

AFAIK UNI buses:
ISUr - 4 hours 277 miles
WIU - 3.5 hours 211 miles
usd - 4 hours 248 miles

Fly:
und- will
NDSU
YSU
ISUb
SIU
MSU

Not sure
SDSU - would be 5 hour drive at 352 miles.

Yote 53
January 27th, 2017, 09:37 AM

We drive. Made that trip to the Forks plenty of times. It's not that bad, it's just on the other side of Fargo.

UNIFanSince1983
January 27th, 2017, 10:24 AM
True. I think we need to go one step further. I think the Feds should build a monorail system that runs from Grand Forks to Kansas City. That would be one hell of a party train.

Would make it really easy for me to get to UNI games in the Dakotas. Quick jaunt to Omaha, and away I go.

Evolution Prime
January 27th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Would make it really easy for me to get to UNI games in the Dakotas. Quick jaunt to Omaha, and away I go.

Same here. I hate the drive back up to Brookings. Darn near puts me to sleep.

clenz
January 27th, 2017, 04:06 PM
UNI stole a RB from SDSU

UNI is in the process of having one of the top DL prospects they have. Committed to UNI in August. Recruited by Bryce Paup.

Paup now at Minnesota and this kid is on an official to MN right now. There was zero contact between him and MN before about 2 weeks ago.

Have a feeling he's gone

GodHelpTheBears
January 27th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Local rumor is that Ruddick is leaving Missouri State, but I can't find a link to confirm.

Redbird007
January 27th, 2017, 07:05 PM
UNI stole a RB from SDSU

UNI is in the process of having one of the top DL prospects they have. Committed to UNI in August. Recruited by Bryce Paup.

Paup now at Minnesota and this kid is on an official to MN right now. There was zero contact between him and MN before about 2 weeks ago.

Have a feeling he's gone

I am sure the kid reached out to his old contacts once the changes at UNI started happening. Big Ten vs MVFC football is a no brainer and they you factor in academics and it is such an easy easy sell to get a kid to make the switch.

BigGoosie13
January 27th, 2017, 08:25 PM
UNI stole a RB from SDSU

Have a feeling he's gone

*USD, UNI stole the RB from USD.

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2017, 08:46 PM

Much truth to this statement.

uni88
January 27th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Teams generally fly into Peoria and stay there overnight. Macomb doesn't have any hotels able to accommodate a football team and it's staff. They bus from Peoria over to Macomb the morning/day of the game, which is about an hour and a half of 2-lane country roads through tiny midwestern towns: https://goo.gl/maps/gkMCxcCuzQy

Towns like the bustling metropolis of New Philadelphia (https://goo.gl/maps/ChZnoCdmssP2).

Ask SDSU fans how much fun that is to do in or immediately after a snowstorm.

Peoria is just a tad closer, I think. Usually it's Peoria, but it's possible that some go through the QC airport. You do get mostly 4-lane roads that way, at least.
Galesburg airport not big enough?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OSBF
January 30th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Galesburg airport not big enough?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Galesburg has an airport?

That answer your question?

ST_Lawson
January 31st, 2017, 08:46 AM
Galesburg has an airport?

That answer your question?

Technicially, yes: https://goo.gl/maps/8f3Gqh37CjT2
Although in the manner that we're speaking...no, not really: http://www.ci.galesburg.il.us/services/airport/

Anyone know what kind of aircraft are usually chartered for traveling football teams? 727? 707?...something along those lines?
Longest runway Galesburg has is just under 5,800 feet, which, I think, is too small for most commercial aircraft. Macomb's longest is 5,101 feet, just fyi.

OSBF
January 31st, 2017, 12:00 PM
Technicially, yes: https://goo.gl/maps/8f3Gqh37CjT2
Although in the manner that we're speaking...no, not really: http://www.ci.galesburg.il.us/services/airport/

Anyone know what kind of aircraft are usually chartered for traveling football teams? 727? 707?...something along those lines?
Longest runway Galesburg has is just under 5,800 feet, which, I think, is too small for most commercial aircraft. Macomb's longest is 5,101 feet, just fyi.

Not sure either the 707 nor 727 are still in widespread service

I'd guess the primary plane in charter service of the size needed for a football team and associated staff would be the Air Bus 300 series?

That's the primary unit flying out of Bloomington/normal to the hubs in Atlanta/Denver/Orlando

OSBF
January 31st, 2017, 12:02 PM
Anyone know where teams fly into for EIU?

From the highway the chucktown airport looks decent size, but Willard in Champaign is a real bonafide full service airport and only 45 min away

Sycamore62
February 1st, 2017, 04:00 PM
Anyone know where teams fly into for EIU?

From the highway the chucktown airport looks decent size, but Willard in Champaign is a real bonafide full service airport and only 45 min away
I think I remember being told EIU flew out of Champaign but I think I can remember seeing a football team size jet(which would otherwise be uncommon) at the airport between Charleston and Mattoon. I want to say it was a weekend they were playing Jacksonville State.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know which MVFC schools are paying full cost of tuition and how much that is?

clenz
February 1st, 2017, 04:09 PM
I think I remember being told EIU flew out of Champaign but I think I can remember seeing a football team size jet(which would otherwise be uncommon) at the airport between Charleston and Mattoon. I want to say it was a weekend they were playing Jacksonville State.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know which MVFC schools are paying full cost of tuition and how much that is?
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI

Not sure what it is for each school though.

GodHelpTheBears
February 1st, 2017, 10:20 PM
At the southern edge of the Valley, Dog Beater has been booted from MSU and Michael Briggs has switched to the baseball team.

Proof of booting and not just him leaving by choice: http://www.the-standard.org/sports/ruddick-dismissed-from-football-program/article_6fb5d634-e8d6-11e6-881b-4b8072664492.html

Proof of Briggs deciding he likes to win sometimes: http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/02/01/missouri-state-football-ruddick-dismissed-briggs-will-play-baseball/

Our QB this year is in the current class, hope one of them doesn't suck - we brought in four

clenz
February 1st, 2017, 10:32 PM
Good for Steck....

Massive respect gained for that.

Meanwhile, Illinois State continues their run of showing they have no discipline. Star basketball player Teddy Hawkins was arrested (for about the 7th time since he's been on campus) Friday night. He's been "suspended" before (only for exhibitions, never for a D1 game). What does ISUr do to punish him?

Nothing. He started and played 30 minutes less than 48 hours after getting arrested.

He started and played nearly all of the game tonight.

**** Illinois State

GodHelpTheBears
February 1st, 2017, 10:36 PM
Good for Steck....

That "contract" must have been serious - whatever Ruddick did to violate it hasn't made it to social media or anyone in the press.

I'd rather ride with Peyton Huslig or Todd Monken's kid any day.

Bisonator
February 2nd, 2017, 08:05 AM
At the southern edge of the Valley, Dog Beater has been booted from MSU and Michael Briggs has switched to the baseball team.

Proof of booting and not just him leaving by choice: http://www.the-standard.org/sports/ruddick-dismissed-from-football-program/article_6fb5d634-e8d6-11e6-881b-4b8072664492.html

Proof of Briggs deciding he likes to win sometimes: http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/02/01/missouri-state-football-ruddick-dismissed-briggs-will-play-baseball/

Our QB this year is in the current class, hope one of them doesn't suck - we brought in four
Props to Steck for keeping his players accountable. Life lessons are important.

OSBF
February 2nd, 2017, 08:39 AM
Good for Steck....

Meanwhile, Illinois State continues their run of showing they have no discipline. Star basketball player Teddy Hawkins was arrested (for about the 7th time since he's been on campus) Friday night. He's been "suspended" before (only for exhibitions, never for a D1 game). What does ISUr do to punish him?

Nothing. He started and played 30 minutes less than 48 hours after getting arrested.

**** Illinois State

Mueller went to church and prayed about it so its ok
he runs such an ethical moral always take the high road program

jacksfan29
February 2nd, 2017, 01:25 PM
It's a easy bus trip as long as the weather is good. Omaha on the other hand....that extra 150 miles or whatever seems like an eternity.

That's because you have to cross Iowa with their axxanine speed limits.

BirdFan 4Life
February 2nd, 2017, 02:05 PM

**** Illinois State
I know UNI is having a rough year and you lost a tough one last night with our best player McIntosh not even playing.

Driving on a suspended license gets you that worked up? I kid, everything ISU does gets you worked up. Maybe go to game in Cedar Falls and tell Hawkins and Muller how much you hate them. I'm sure it will make all the difference in the world.

BirdFan 4Life
February 2nd, 2017, 02:11 PM
Mueller went to church and prayed about it so its ok
he runs such an ethical moral always take the high road program

Muller and ISU being 19-4 and 11-0 in conference must just be killing you. Mocking the coaches Faith is a nice touch as well.

What a terrible story and terrible people Muller recruits and turns into men.
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/columnists/kindred/kindred-gritty-and-grateful-wills-embraces-time-at-isu/article_eb42f9be-1d21-52ef-b467-bb655c66c094.html

clenz
February 2nd, 2017, 02:23 PM
I know UNI is having a rough year and you lost a tough one last night with our best player McIntosh not even playing.

Driving on a suspended license gets you that worked up? I kid, everything ISU does gets you worked up. Maybe go to game in Cedar Falls and tell Hawkins and Muller how much you hate them. I'm sure it will make all the difference in the world.
If it was *just* that issue, sure.

How many times has he been arrested since he got on campus? How many times has he been sent home from trips the team has taken?

IIRC he's up to 4 arrests, sent home from at least 1 team trip, and he's missed a grand total of 1 exhibition game.

It's a theme at ISUr. It doesn't matter how often you get in trouble, or what you do, or what you did that got you kicked off of your last team. As long as we win, we don't give a ****.

OSBF
February 2nd, 2017, 03:13 PM
Muller and ISU being 19-4 and 11-0 in conference must just be killing you. Mocking the coaches Faith is a nice touch as well.

What a terrible story and terrible people Muller recruits and turns into men.
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/columnists/kindred/kindred-gritty-and-grateful-wills-embraces-time-at-isu/article_eb42f9be-1d21-52ef-b467-bb655c66c094.html

The rationalization and justification, for me, is just about the most delicious part.
I mean, win at all cost whatever,however you have to obviously works.
Its been very successful for many college programs
Lets just be honest here and stop pretending ISU is anything other than that

GodHelpTheBears
February 2nd, 2017, 05:51 PM
The rationalization and justification, for me, is just about the most delicious part.
I mean, win at all cost whatever,however you have to obviously works.
Its been very successful for many college programs
Lets just be honest here and stop pretending ISU is anything other than that

You could be like us, a cadre of church mouses and be mediocre to awful at literally every sport.

Sycamore62
February 2nd, 2017, 07:49 PM
I learned about 30 years ago that God helps those who help themselves. Seems like they have "helping themselves" figured out

OSBF
February 3rd, 2017, 09:50 AM
You could be like us, a cadre of church mouses and be mediocre to awful at literally every sport.

Oh I understand these are "kids" and kids do dumm things

The 2 things that bug me are the culture of a total lack of personal responsibility/consequences
And a fanbase that will with a straight face tell you we have this high and mighty moral ethical program

Hey, I get it, the win whatever it takes approach works, has worked well for many programs

Lets just not be delusional about whats going on here
Don't try to tell me we're runnin the place like a Northwestern, BYU, or Vandy when the reality is that its no different than Baylor, UNLV, or Miami

GodHelpTheBears
February 3rd, 2017, 05:52 PM

The 2 things that bug me are the culture of a total lack of personal responsibility/consequences
And a fanbase that will with a straight face tell you we have this high and mighty moral ethical program

Hey, I get it, the win whatever it takes approach works, has worked well for many programs

Don't try to tell me we're runnin the place like a Northwestern, BYU, or Vandy when the reality is that its no different than Baylor, UNLV, or Miami

You're right, I'm just pissed because we have all these Baptist/Assemblies of God ol' boy donors (and the President) at Missouri State who care more about being friends with the coach and AD than either winning or succeeding in the classroom - one of TA's dirty secrets was that we lost scholarships, due to a low APR score. We sucked on and off the field. There's just no excuse for that.

clenz
February 3rd, 2017, 06:32 PM
There is no way to hide apr sanctions.

How would he hide that?

clenz
February 3rd, 2017, 06:36 PM
APR are 4 year rolling scores. Most recent one out had MSU at 952. That puts them behind only ISUr, UNI and USD for MVFC apr scores

There was an issue with the 09 and 10 scores from the looks of it, but certainly looks like TA didn't do too bad at the APR

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/64f156ad4d5d4ee85eb3c212d1c99a0a.jpg

citdog
February 3rd, 2017, 06:38 PM

NOT at my school boy. No second chances at The Citadel. The NCAA only stipulates suspensions for the weed and we expel them. Everyone knows the rules and the consequences...

GodHelpTheBears
February 3rd, 2017, 06:42 PM
APR are 4 year rolling scores. Most recent one out had MSU at 952. That puts them behind only ISUr, UNI and USD for MVFC apr scores

There was an issue with the 09 and 10 scores from the looks of it, but certainly looks like TA didn't do too bad at the APR

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/64f156ad4d5d4ee85eb3c212d1c99a0a.jpg

It's just the lack of any standards, which is why a coach who won 36% of his games and couldn't keep his guys above the APR minimum got to stick around for 9 seasons. Call yourself a Christian and gladhand a little bit and you'll see your contract out, no matter how poorly your team performs on the field and in the classroom. It goes all the way up to our President, who will not step in and replace our inept athletic director because they are friends. As much as I love the Ozarks, it's emblematic of the cultural backwardness here.

clenz
February 3rd, 2017, 07:04 PM
I'd argue TA is the reason the APR turned around.

He took over in 06. Meaning the scores from 04/05 to 09/10 reflect rosters made up of scores from the older regime leaving the program.

There was a coaching change, that tends to cause a shift in APR as well as it causes players to leave at a higher rate. 08/09 and 09/10 are right when that all would have come to a head as that would be TAs third and forth years so the rolling period with transfers and players not graduating with poor academics from before he got there are now affecting the program the most.

Look what happened once TA got his roster in control of it. The scores climbed. That 952 belongs to TA.

citdog
February 3rd, 2017, 07:06 PM
As much as I love the Ozarks, it's emblematic of the cultural backwardness here.

Y'all just need a quick shot of that "old Missouri Guerrilla Spirit" y'all have had your own jerseys for quite a while now!

http://www.jamescountry.com/shirt.jpg

GodHelpTheBears
February 3rd, 2017, 07:16 PM
I'd argue TA is the reason the APR turned around.

He took over in 06. Meaning the scores from 04/05 to 09/10 reflect rosters made up of scores from the older regime leaving the program.

There was a coaching change, that tends to cause a shift in APR as well as it causes players to leave at a higher rate. 08/09 and 09/10 are right when that all would have come to a head as that would be TAs third and forth years so the rolling period with transfers and players not graduating with poor academics from before he got there are now affecting the program the most.

Look what happened once TA got his roster in control of it. The scores climbed. That 952 belongs to TA.

He should not have gotten to that point. Allen should have been dismissed at the end of the 2011 season. 2-9 in year 6 would lead to changes at UNI (if a coach even got that much time there, considering Allen's first six years here would have been probably the worst stretch in the history of your program).

GodHelpTheBears
February 3rd, 2017, 07:30 PM
Y'all just need a quick shot of that "old Missouri Guerrilla Spirit" y'all have had your own jerseys for quite a while now!

In case you forgot, the Ozarks are hills and hollers and we don't care for Yankees or planters. xnodx

citdog
February 3rd, 2017, 07:34 PM
In case you forgot, the Ozarks are hills and hollers and we don't care for Yankees or planters. xnodx

But you HATE Lawrence, Kansas and righteously so.

GodHelpTheBears
February 3rd, 2017, 07:40 PM
But you HATE Lawrence, Kansas and righteously so.

If they wanted Osceola Cheese, they could have purchased it like everybody else.

citdog
February 3rd, 2017, 07:43 PM
If they wanted Osceola Cheese, they could have purchased it like everybody else.

https://myscv.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/quantrill_grave.jpg

OSBF
February 3rd, 2017, 07:57 PM

is that the moo-moo you wear when you sit on the couch eating bon bons?

citdog
February 3rd, 2017, 08:23 PM
is that the moo-moo you wear when you sit on the couch eating bon bons?

One can always count on OSBF to show his ignorance on a public forum. For OSBF's education, seeing how Illinois State Univ didn't provide him with much of one, pictured is a Missouri Guerrilla Shirt. Which the irregulars wore during The War whilst doing God's good work killing kansas jayhawks and "dutchies". Jesus Christ what EXACTLY does one learn at a second rate school like Illinois State except that you can sell weed to undercover Officers and as long as you can run the football you'll have ZERO eligibility problems???

Redbird 4th & short
February 3rd, 2017, 08:27 PM

So lets talk about whats going on at ISU .. 2 straight awards for top FCS APR award in MVFC, the top football conference in country ... coinciding with ISU's best 2 year run in football history, including 2 co-MVFC championships.

http://www.nacda.com/sports/div1aaada/spec-rel/061516aab.html

http://www.nacda.com/sports/div1aaada/spec-rel/062415aab.html

Oh my, how delusional !! The shame is unbearable.

uni88
February 3rd, 2017, 08:50 PM
One can always count on OSBF to show his ignorance on a public forum. For OSBF's education, seeing how Illinois State Univ didn't provide him with much of one, pictured is a Missouri Guerrilla Shirt. Which the irregulars wore during The War whilst doing God's good work killing kansas jayhawks and "dutchies". Jesus Christ what EXACTLY does one learn at a second rate school like Illinois State except that you can sell weed to undercover Officers and as long as you can run the football you'll have ZERO eligibility problems???
Ignorance? I believe that they killed Jayhawkers not Jayhawks. Shortening the name came later. And Quantrill was more of a poor man's William Tecumseh Sherman, a minor league raider who wasn't good enough for the big leagues. xwhistlex

clenz
February 3rd, 2017, 09:16 PM
He should not have gotten to that point. Allen should have been dismissed at the end of the 2011 season. 2-9 in year 6 would lead to changes at UNI (if a coach even got that much time there, considering Allen's first six years here would have been probably the worst stretch in the history of your program).

That's moving the goal posts. That has nothing to do with the "TA's dirty little secret APR scandal" which isn't a secret. That's published yearly, and as I said , TA actually appears to have "fixed" the apr slide that was happening. That means he was getting (mostly) good students, and was keeping them on track to graduate.

Now, of you want to talk record that's another topic.

I can't argue for TA to have gotten more years. He had a 36.6 win %. Of the 20 coaches MSU has had that's 13th in win %. FWIW Steck is currently 20th out of 20 and will need about 4 wins this year to move out of that spot. You could say steck os screws up front because TA didn't recruit his last couple years. I'd argue MSU made it impossible for TA to recruit because it became obvious he was a lame duck. Pretty hard to recruit when everyone knows you're gone at the end of your contract. Also worth noting that if we look at only coaches that have spent at least 5 years at MSU TA moves up to 5th all time in win percent. Let that sink in. TA, realistically speaking, is your 5th beat coach all time. 2 of the 4 qualifying coaches a head of him all coaches pre reaction of the FCS. The only coaches a head of him who spent time at the FCS level were Randy Ball (44%) and Jesse Branch (55% and your only playoff appearances belong to him).

With that known....

You're correct that 2-9 in year 6 gets the boot at UNI. Hell, TA's replacement at UNI was fired after 4 years because all he did was go 29-15 (65.9%). The fact is, it's impossible to compare UNI expectations and MSU expectations. UNI has just gone through the most tumultuous 5 year span in its history and still came out of it with most playoff appearances and wins than MSU has in their entire history.

GodHelpTheBears
February 3rd, 2017, 09:47 PM
That's moving the goal posts. That has nothing to do with the "TA's dirty little secret APR scandal" which isn't a secret. That's published yearly, and as I said , TA actually appears to have "fixed" the apr slide that was happening. That means he was getting (mostly) good students, and was keeping them on track to graduate.

Now, of you want to talk record that's another topic.

I can't argue for TA to have gotten more years. He had a 36.6 win %. Of the 20 coaches MSU has had that's 13th in win %. FWIW Steck is currently 20th out of 20 and will need about 4 wins this year to move out of that spot. You could say steck os screws up front because TA didn't recruit his last couple years. I'd argue MSU made it impossible for TA to recruit because it became obvious he was a lame duck. Pretty hard to recruit when everyone knows you're gone at the end of your contract. Also worth noting that if we look at only coaches that have spent at least 5 years at MSU TA moves up to 5th all time in win percent. Let that sink in. TA, realistically speaking, is your 5th beat coach all time. 2 of the 4 qualifying coaches a head of him all coaches pre reaction of the FCS. The only coaches a head of him who spent time at the FCS level were Randy Ball (44%) and Jesse Branch (55% and your only playoff appearances belong to him).

With that known....

You're correct that 2-9 in year 6 gets the boot at UNI. Hell, TA's replacement at UNI was fired after 4 years because all he did was go 29-15 (65.9%). The fact is, it's impossible to compare UNI expectations and MSU expectations. UNI has just gone through the most tumultuous 5 year span in its history and still came out of it with most playoff appearances and wins than MSU has in their entire history.

TA deserves the blame for the APR hit. By years 4 and 5, those guys were pretty much all his. That, combined with regression to his first year performance was more than enough cause for his dismissal. Program history doesn't matter - a coach who shows no progress in six years should be removed.

The reasons he was allowed to be a lame duck are larger than the athletic department or even the university. We let Barry Hinson, Nyla Milleson and now Paul Lusk all become lame ducks. Four times in 10 years is not a coincidence. Our governor just announced deep cuts to the university system - we are nearing a come to Jesus moment. Something has to change, we've never funded football adequately, the students, alumni and Springfield don't care about it. We are in a conference that outgrew us. This will not work much longer.

clenz
February 3rd, 2017, 10:26 PM
I don't think you understand how APR works....

citdog
February 3rd, 2017, 10:51 PM
Ignorance? I believe that they killed Jayhawkers not Jayhawks. Shortening the name came later. And Quantrill was more of a poor man's William Tecumseh Sherman, a minor league raider who wasn't good enough for the big leagues. xwhistlex

Colonel Quantrill was rich enough to sack that nest of inequity known as lawrence, kansas..

http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2011/04/11/Sherman_Enderton_Sketch_1_t460.jpg?926875e5be5f93a 8dc1e86b8d949ee54b77d1e0d

GodHelpTheBears
February 4th, 2017, 09:07 AM
I don't think you understand how APR works....

I don't understand why the APR score would be lower in years 3 and 4 than in his first year, when you expect roster turnover due to transfers, etc. and when he should have had his own transfers beginning to cycle out. I know Randy Ball loved his partial qualifiers, but MSU frowns upon those more than WIU did in the 90s. Other coaches have been able to solve this problem and avoid penalties, but Allen couldn't?

You are right on a macro level - Allen would not have succeeded anyway, but I think that era was a combination of a neglectful athletic department and a coach who thought he could use UNI style football with kids from St Louis, Memphis, and southwest Missouri. No one deserves all of the blame for all of the failures, but everyone deserves at least part of it.

As for Stec, his contract is so big (by our standards) that he will see it out, no matter how bad the team is. He's actually fortunate, Lusk is getting the heat right now and the few who pay attention realize he was handed a complete mess. I still don't think he will get the institutional support he needs to be successful, but he's trying to differentiate our style of play and recruit areas that other Valley programs do not touch. It probably won't work, but it's the only approach that can work here, given that we have Peter Principled our athletic department and refuse to admit it.

clenz
February 4th, 2017, 10:05 AM
I don't understand why the APR score would be lower in years 3 and 4 than in his first year, when you expect roster turnover due to transfers, etc. and when he should have had his own transfers beginning to cycle out. I know Randy Ball loved his partial qualifiers, but MSU frowns upon those more than WIU did in the 90s. Other coaches have been able to solve this problem and avoid penalties, but Allen couldn't?

You are right on a macro level - Allen would not have succeeded anyway, but I think that era was a combination of a neglectful athletic department and a coach who thought he could use UNI style football with kids from St Louis, Memphis, and southwest Missouri. No one deserves all of the blame for all of the failures, but everyone deserves at least part of it.

As for Stec, his contract is so big (by our standards) that he will see it out, no matter how bad the team is. He's actually fortunate, Lusk is getting the heat right now and the few who pay attention realize he was handed a complete mess. I still don't think he will get the institutional support he needs to be successful, but he's trying to differentiate our style of play and recruit areas that other Valley programs do not touch. It probably won't work, but it's the only approach that can work here, given that we have Peter Principled our athletic department and refuse to admit it.

APR are rolling scores. It takes a few years for the average to be impacted. Also, even guys stayed but they didn't graduate or didn't maintain grades it will impact the apr as scores roll through.

You're complaining about something you don't understand. Your misplacing anger over something TA fixed.

Go back to the 05-09 time frame at UNI. Look at some of the names and look where they were from. The St Louis and Kansas City metro areas have been very, very, kind to uni over the last 10-15 years.

GodHelpTheBears
February 4th, 2017, 11:02 AM
APR are rolling scores. It takes a few years for the average to be impacted. Also, even guys stayed but they didn't graduate or didn't maintain grades it will impact the apr as scores roll through.

You're complaining about something you don't understand. Your misplacing anger over something TA fixed.

Go back to the 05-09 time frame at UNI. Look at some of the names and look where they were from. The St Louis and Kansas City metro areas have been very, very, kind to uni over the last 10-15 years.

Allen got it fixed in seven years. Other coaches find a way to do it on the fly. I noticed that one quarter of FCS programs lost scholarships due to being under the APR limit that year, so it isn't as egregious as I thought, but he had three recruiting classes before any of the penalties kicked in, and he had his "best" years when Ball's players were still on the roster. I'll come down from the podium on that one.

To your other point about Missouri kids, you're absolutely right and I've noticed. That's why we need to get away from relying on I-70, almost everyone else in the MVFC recruits there and we can't consistently win recruiting battles against your guys, or the Dakotas, or the Illinois schools for that matter. We finally have a coach that realized football Mecca is less than seven hours away, and thought we should take advantage of that fact.

PantherRob82
February 4th, 2017, 12:50 PM
So lets talk about whats going on at ISU .. 2 straight awards for top FCS APR award in MVFC, the top football conference in country ... coinciding with ISU's best 2 year run in football history, including 2 co-MVFC championships.

http://www.nacda.com/sports/div1aaada/spec-rel/061516aab.html

http://www.nacda.com/sports/div1aaada/spec-rel/062415aab.html

Oh my, how delusional !! The shame is unbearable.

The APR would suffer if you punished players who broke the law. xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
February 4th, 2017, 02:55 PM
The APR would suffer if you punished players who broke the law. xlolx
But the APR would be even higher if it was handicapped .. do you know how hard it is to get all the ex-cons, drug dealers, and degenerates on our roster to go to class and open a book ??

Further note, ISU entrance requirements are also at top of MVFC based on the 25-75th average percentiles for ACT scores. One of our top recruits last year had schollie pulled because he couldn't get admitted .. UNI took him.

Again, just shameful to have to admit all of this. I'm surprised OSBF still has the Redbird Helmet logo on his profile.

OSBF
February 6th, 2017, 11:20 AM
But the APR would be even higher if it was handicapped .. do you know how hard it is to get all the ex-cons, drug dealers, and degenerates on our roster to go to class and open a book ??

Further note, ISU entrance requirements are also at top of MVFC based on the 25-75th average percentiles for ACT scores. One of our top recruits last year had schollie pulled because he couldn't get admitted .. UNI took him.

Again, just shameful to have to admit all of this. I'm surprised OSBF still has the Redbird Helmet logo on his profile.

OK, lets talk about this guy right here,

http://www.wjbc.com/2017/02/03/isu-football-recruit-charged-with-rape/

Question for you

Lets say he stays out of prison by pleading out to a lesser charge

You OK with him being on campus?

clenz
February 6th, 2017, 11:31 AM

You keep saying he couldn't get admitted, do you have proof to back that up.

Everything I can find online had him taking honors and advanced placement classes while maintaining a GPA over 3 - http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/phillips-academy-senior-dewayne-collins-athlete-and-scholar-wins-dusable-award/

He also isn't on campus anymore, and hasn't been for 2 years. Don't know what to tell you.

clenz
February 6th, 2017, 11:31 AM

Question for you

Kids being kids...making dumb mistakes

amirite?

OSBF
February 6th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Kids being kids...making dumb mistakes

amirite?

He wont answer the question

But, yes, "mistake" is what they'll call it

And your not a RealFan if you think he deserves to be in prison instead of on the field creating the W's

W's...........the ONLY thing that matters at that place these days

UNIFanSince1983
February 6th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I can't believe we are still bringing up how Illinois State refuses to punish any good player on their football or basketball teams. Of course I also cannot believe there are Illinois State fans actually defending the coaches for not punishing players who broke the law.

OSBF
February 6th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I can't believe we are still bringing up how Illinois State refuses to punish any good player on their football or basketball teams. Of course I also cannot believe there are Illinois State fans actually defending the coaches for not punishing players who broke the law.

I prefer to use the term "accountability"

OSBF
February 7th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I guess sexual assault > felony drug dealing

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/spack-to-release-isu-recruit-charged-with-rape/article_4c7373cb-39db-5aed-bfee-ae60d497cd76.html

clenz
February 7th, 2017, 09:45 AM

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/spack-to-release-isu-recruit-charged-with-rape/article_4c7373cb-39db-5aed-bfee-ae60d497cd76.html
He hasn't even been convicted yet.....

He also hasn't proven he's a difference maker. His felony is worse because of that.

OSBF
February 7th, 2017, 10:10 AM
He hasn't even been convicted yet.....

Convicted don't mean nuttin'
as long as they're not actually IN prison spak will still put 'em on the field

BisonTru
February 7th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Convicted don't mean nuttin'
as long as they're not actually IN prison spak will still put 'em on the field

What if they get work release? :D

clenz
February 7th, 2017, 01:40 PM
What if they get work release? :D

Illinois State isn't private. They aren't employees

GodHelpTheBears
February 7th, 2017, 06:48 PM
http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/02/07/msu-looking-to-cut-750000-from-athletics-budget/
(http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/02/07/msu-looking-to-cut-750000-from-athletics-budget/)
And so it begins. Look for us to take on 2 or 3 buy games going forward. This program will die, either by cuts or by drowning. UT-Arlington, George Mason, and UIC are all reputable universities with > 25,000 enrollment and no football team, it isn't the end of the world.

The charade of us being competitive at this level is now officially over.

Redbird 4th & short
February 7th, 2017, 11:19 PM
I prefer to use the term "accountability"

OSBF .. you want to talk accountability ? How about you ? Are you accountable for when you spew falsehoods and don't admit it when called out ? I am still waiting on your proof Shelby Harris beat up a girl. You spewed that BS all over the place. And if you know McLean County police, you know they have no trouble busting people whoever they are. And you never provided one shred of proof. You know why .. there was none and it never happened. But you dragged his name thru the mud in public forums many many times.

You also no longer post on Redbird forum .. why ? Because so many people called you out for constantly negative harping against Spack, much of it BS or just way over the top. You found some friends here for obvious reasons .. and they are very eager to lap up your BS because it fits their narrative.

You ISU/Spack bashers are convinced no matter what you hear that Spack has no ethical or moral compass when it comes his program .. .. but oh sh-t .. then ISU football won 2 straight APR awards during its' 2 most successful seasons ever .. how can that be ???

And UNI took a kid who couldn't get admitted to ISU .. and yes, he didn't last at UNI .. but you still took him instantly after the recruit himself said in article announcing he would go to UNI - and you put him on your roster, even after he admitted:

“I was an NCAA qualifier, but was told that I'm not a qualifier at Illinois State,” quote - unquote. Purposely not mentioning players name .. he is not the point.

And UNI finished 2nd in APR to us .. says something or no ? because none of this fits your narrative.

Please get over yourselves and your incessant Spack bashing. Spack recruits and graduates kids better than anyone else in MVFC .. and wins games. That he gives kids 2nd chances is his business - he has earned that right. Others like me have told you before .. even before he won 2 straight MVFC APR awards, that Spack runs a disciplined program .. and now you can see it for yourselves .. his kids win on the field and graduate better than any other MVFC team.

So you'll have to deal with fact that we're feeling very good about Spack's program and the quality of his student athletes.

p.s. UNI, feel free to keep taking the kids that don't qualify at ISU .. is it hard looking down your noses at us, while simultaneously having to look up at our academic standards ??

Redbird 4th & short
February 7th, 2017, 11:28 PM
You keep saying he couldn't get admitted, do you have proof to back that up.

Everything I can find online had him taking honors and advanced placement classes while maintaining a GPA over 3 - http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/phillips-academy-senior-dewayne-collins-athlete-and-scholar-wins-dusable-award/

He also isn't on campus anymore, and hasn't been for 2 years. Don't know what to tell you.
The player admitted it himself and was quickly scooped up by and put on UNI roster. But yes, he didn't last .. that doesn't change fact that he didn't meet ISU standards, but met UNI's.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/chi-phillips-qb-dewayne-collins-no-longer-headed-to-illinois-state-20150122-story.html

“I was an NCAA qualifier, but was told that I'm not a qualifier at Illinois State,”

Redbird 4th & short
February 7th, 2017, 11:34 PM

Question for you

Answer for you .. this just happened, and he is gone already.

Be honest .. you got really excited when you first read this .. didn't you ?

When you play game of "gotcha", narrow minded people like you tend to stop looking as soon as you find something that fits your narrative .. you know, like your slanderous statements about Shelby Harris beating a girl .. when will you fess up to being dead wrong and have zero proof to back your claim ?? You heard he beat a girl .. and that was all you needed .. right OSBF ??

Fess up !!

Redbird 4th & short
February 7th, 2017, 11:47 PM

yes, rape is way worse than delivering small amount of marijuana to a consenting adult .. who happened to be a scumbag informant.

you disagree ... really ??

please explain why you believe rape is not as bad as delivering marijuana to consenting adult.

p.s. I'm really glad you aren't the ISU football coach.

Bisonoline
February 8th, 2017, 01:40 AM

You guess? Please tell me youre not serious?

Bisonator
February 8th, 2017, 10:27 AM
http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/02/07/msu-looking-to-cut-750000-from-athletics-budget/
(http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/02/07/msu-looking-to-cut-750000-from-athletics-budget/)
And so it begins. Look for us to take on 2 or 3 buy games going forward. This program will die, either by cuts or by drowning. UT-Arlington, George Mason, and UIC are all reputable universities with > 25,000 enrollment and no football team, it isn't the end of the world.

The charade of us being competitive at this level is now officially over.
So could MSU seriously be looking at cutting FB? Or going non-schollie? That could be a big reason the other MVC schools were OK adding UND. Maybe ISUb is next?

clenz
February 8th, 2017, 10:37 AM
MSU just dumped 24 million into renovating the atrium. Football is going no where.

They have a budget of roughly 20 million. 750k is simply moving numbers around.

Redbird007
February 8th, 2017, 11:52 AM
So could MSU seriously be looking at cutting FB? Or going non-schollie? That could be a big reason the other MVC schools were OK adding UND. Maybe ISUb is next?

Athletic departments likely get bloated over time as they as sure to spend every dollar they bring in whether they need to or not. Going through and reducing expenses by 7% (which is the MSU amount), especially when athletic departments are subsidized significantly by student fees, seems like a wise thing. I wish ISU would proactively make an expense cutting move, or more importantly, reprioritize where they spend. Example...ISU redid its baseball complex to the tune of $4MM around 8 years ago yet few attend baseball games and it receives little or no press for the university. What is the point of spending that much money if no one watches? Moreover now there is likely a significant maintenance charge as well.

clenz
February 8th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Well...it might be something more than rearranging numbers....

MSU has had to withdraw from hosting the MVC track meet in 3 months because they can't afford to get their facilities up to NCAA standards.

Maybe nothing other than short term money not being in place to fix it in 2 months and long time it's fine. Not good news to have the day after your announce cutting three quarters of a million out of your budget though

http://missouristatebears.com/news/2017/2/8/womens-track-bears-will-pass-on-hosting-mvc-track-meet.aspx

SPRINGFIELD -- Increased construction costs and budgetary concerns have led Missouri State officials to formally withdraw as host of the 2017 Missouri Valley Conference Men's and Women's Outdoor Track & Field Championships, University officials confirmed Wednesday.

The MSU administration notified the conference office of its request Monday. The MVC has since extended the opportunity to host the 2017 event to Wichita State University's Cessna Stadium, which WSU has graciously accepted.

Bears head coach Ron Boyce noted that his student-athletes were notified of the decision at a team meeting Tuesday night.

"The team is extremely disappointed that we are unable to host the MVC Championship meet," said Boyce. "I certainly understand and respect why the final decision was made. We as a team and staff are faced with the very difficult task of moving forward and setting our sights on competing and taking care of our student-athletes as best as possible."

Missouri State's lack of a javelin throwing facility originally led the University to delay its turn in the hosting rotation from 2015 to 2017. When it was determined an adequate javelin area was not possible on the main MSU campus due to a lack of adequate space, University officials received an estimate of around $270,000 to build a javelin area for the MVC meet at Parkview High School, a mile from campus. It was later learned that MSU would also have to substantially overhaul and level its current shot put, discus and hammer throwing area adjacent to the track stadium to meet MVC and NCAA postseason specifications. Proposals for constructing both facilities in time for the May 12-14, 2017 MVC meet raised the total cost of the project to nearly $600,000.

"The University has been committed to making this work and providing the resources to create a championship-caliber facility on our campus," said Director of Athletics Kyle Moats (http://missouristatebears.com/staff.aspx?staff=1). "The cooperation from Springfield Public Schools and the many others who have worked tirelessly to keep this dream alive for us is greatly appreciated. However, in light of our University's recent budget challenges, we have to be realistic about how far we can go.

"I am heartbroken for our team. They deserve an opportunity to host this meet and show off their track and their campus to the rest of the league. It is a matter of pride for them, and I am disappointed for them."

Missouri State's new track facility at Betty and Bobby Allison South Stadium meets or exceeds national standards for all running events. As javelin is not a required event for regular-season meets or invitationals, having a javelin throwing area is not essential for hosting regular-season home track meets.

"Our entire conference, coaches and student-athletes, were looking forward to competing at Missouri State," said Steve Rainbolt, Wichita State head track and field coach. "I feel bad for Missouri State's student-athletes and coaches that they are not able to host, and at the same time, we always enjoy the opportunity to host conference championships at Wichita State."

clenz
February 8th, 2017, 04:18 PM
I can't imagine MSU going anywhere. They've sucked for so long, and have no support, but I just can't see it happening from Missouri State. I suppose they could blame budget issues and take the savings and dump it, quietly, into basketball. If they (any MVC school to be honest) committed to being a basketball school (ALA WSU) they/we could all be really damn good. We all already support our basketball programs at a level significantly higher than any other "mid/low" major conference.

Indiana State, I suppose, is the most likely though I don't see it as likely. The program has been horrid (worse than MSU) for three decades, but has shown just a bit of life the last half decade. The problem is the funding is so bad that if a coach has ANY success bigger programs look at it an go "If you can do that there you can do it here with more money". Trent Miles (an ISUb FB alum) took the program from 56 losses in 57 games to 7 wins in about 5 seasons before he bolted for the first hint at a new job (Georgia freaking State...where's he's since been canned as he was 9-38 and only one time won more than 2 games). Miles left the cupboards bare and Mike Sanford wen 1-11 in his first year to 8-6 with a freaking playoff win in 2014. In 2 seasons since he was 9-13 and he left to be the runningbacks coach at WKU. They have the worst stadium in the MVFC. It's one sided and not on campus. Any UNI player I've talked too has said it's the worst locker room/training facilities. They average about 3,000 fans a game, announced. That's likely a lie. If they get more than 2,500 I'd be shocked.

Meanwhile their basketball arena is getting a 75,000,000 make over.....so.....

Redbird007
February 8th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Well...it might be something more than rearranging numbers....

MSU has had to withdraw from hosting the MVC track meet in 3 months because they can't afford to get their facilities up to NCAA standards.

Maybe nothing other than short term money not being in place to fix it in 2 months and long time it's fine. Not good news to have the day after your announce cutting three quarters of a million out of your budget though

Similar to my post about ISU baseball...if students/alumns are not watching track and it is expensive to update the facilites then let some other school host. I don't know if that is the case but if it is then having some other school host is a no brainer.

GodHelpTheBears
February 8th, 2017, 09:44 PM
Our AD referred to past athletic department spending strategies as "broad brush" in a radio interview earlier today, and admitted MSU would no longer pursue that strategy going forward.

I said a "come to Jesus" moment would come and it is here. MSU higher ups evaluated the state of the men's basketball and football programs, weighed the costs of getting each back to consistent competitiveness and (rightfully) determined men's basketball was the better investment. It has made MSU money in the past. It has a much stronger emotional attachment to the MSU alumni (even myself, that Valley championship a few years back was sweet). MSU has a history of success in basketball at every level it has played - even one of Lusk's teams has won a postseason tournament, though I can't remember its name.

That doesn't mean football will go away. However, our higher ups have finally realized you can't half-ass football in a conference like the MVFC and make it sustainable. There's another FCS conference with plenty of midwestern programs that half-ass football, and if we moved there it wouldn't hurt our standing in the larger Valley one bit. I don't think the move is imminent, but I do see the groundwork for this move beginning to be laid.

This decision should have been made years ago.

Sycamore62
February 9th, 2017, 09:47 AM
I can't imagine MSU going anywhere. They've sucked for so long, and have no support, but I just can't see it happening from Missouri State. I suppose they could blame budget issues and take the savings and dump it, quietly, into basketball. If they (any MVC school to be honest) committed to being a basketball school (ALA WSU) they/we could all be really damn good. We all already support our basketball programs at a level significantly higher than any other "mid/low" major conference.

Indiana State, I suppose, is the most likely though I don't see it as likely. The program has been horrid (worse than MSU) for three decades, but has shown just a bit of life the last half decade. The problem is the funding is so bad that if a coach has ANY success bigger programs look at it an go "If you can do that there you can do it here with more money". Trent Miles (an ISUb FB alum) took the program from 56 losses in 57 games to 7 wins in about 5 seasons before he bolted for the first hint at a new job (Georgia freaking State...where's he's since been canned as he was 9-38 and only one time won more than 2 games). Miles left the cupboards bare and Mike Sanford wen 1-11 in his first year to 8-6 with a freaking playoff win in 2014. In 2 seasons since he was 9-13 and he left to be the runningbacks coach at WKU. They have the worst stadium in the MVFC. It's one sided and not on campus. Any UNI player I've talked too has said it's the worst locker room/training facilities. They average about 3,000 fans a game, announced. That's likely a lie. If they get more than 2,500 I'd be shocked.

Meanwhile their basketball arena is getting a 75,000,000 make over.....so.....
in his defense, he went to coach for his son and is about 63. I dont know what he would have done if that weren't the case. Im not sure he wasnt on the hot seat, like, win next year or we are looking for a new coach. the rest is basically accurate although I cant speak for visiting locker rooms because in the 90's most of the then gateway locker rooms were just the locker rooms at the PE building. ours at that time were even worse.

Redbird 4th & short
February 9th, 2017, 03:30 PM
You guess? Please tell me youre not serious?

don't hold your breath waiting for OSBF to respond directly to you calling him out. he doesn't think straight or care about facts when it comes to Spack. Redbird Forum does not get his vendetta against Spack. He stopped posting there as a result.

REALBird
February 9th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Ahhhhh........Feel the Valley LOVE. It's F'n beautiful.

1.) Teddy Hawkins..........Man, on the one hand I gotta agree with Clenz and just about everyone else. Sadly, I had jury duty the same week he was set to appear on one of his previous driving offenses. I gotta figure that Deonte should have gotten some kind of suspension. I'm not expecting a brutal beating with a cat o' nine tails or anything, but 1 game at least. Suspended for the first half of a game. Removed as a starter. Name taken off the back of his jersey. SOMETHING....ANYTHING. You have to do something more public when there is a pattern and blatant disregard for authority.

***** Even Coach K ultimately suspended Grayson Allen for tripping people. Albeit it took 3-4 times before he did it, and each time it made SportsCenter. Nonetheless he was eventually suspended. Hard to defend Coach on this one Redbird faithful. He can say it was handled in-house, but my gut tells me Coach Muller is about ready for Teddy to graduate, as much as Teddy is ready to graduate. To that point......I think they're both just playing out the string.

If it were another school, and this was a key player on Bradley, WSU, UNI.....yeah, I'm criticizing it just as well.

2.) IN THE....Nah, you can't just ignore this category. I noticed Citdog called out a CERTAIN poster on his ignorance, but it's amazing as my brother would say "You folded like an accordion".

So you just glossed over someone basically calling you ignorant in a public forum, but you go on for pages arguing about old news Coprich, and new news Teddy Hawkins.

4th, Redbird007, that tells you all you need to know about this stooge. He's here for nothing more than to stoke the fires, get attention like some college chick snapping provocative selfies (with duck lips) for posters from other schools, and then bail.

Beyond that, not willing to waste any more keystrokes on that BS. In conclusion......this should be renamed to Casey's BREAKFAST Pizza. BOOM!

REALBird
February 9th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Question for you

I'll answer you. Same day you posted, here was Coach's response. Sayonara!

Surely, an upstanding guy like yourself would be MAN enough to offer kudos for releasing the kid being accused of this crime. Nah......but that's OK. Sprinkles are for winners.

TheKingpin28
February 9th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Sounds like Grant Olson took a job with the Sycamores.

Sycamore62
February 10th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Sounds like Grant Olson took a job with the Sycamores.

Our strategy is to get as many Bohl guys as possible

Redbird 4th & short
February 11th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Answer for you .. this just happened, and he is gone already.

Be honest .. you got really excited when you first read this .. didn't you ?

When you play game of "gotcha", narrow minded people like you tend to stop looking as soon as you find something that fits your narrative .. you know, like your slanderous statements about Shelby Harris beating a girl .. when will you fess up to being dead wrong and have zero proof to back your claim ?? You heard he beat a girl .. and that was all you needed .. right OSBF ??

Fess up !!
Anyone heard from OSBF since being called out ??

Same old, same old ... he loves to disparage people's reputations, but disappears when called out for obvious BS, even slander and libel.

It would be one thing if he periodically criticized and railed certain Spack decisions ... but he sees all bad and no good. He has zero objectivity when it comes to Spack and ISU football. If you rely on him for your dirt on Spack and ISU, you need to raise your standards.

uni88
February 11th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Anyone heard from OSBF since being called out ??

Same old, same old ... he loves to disparage people's reputations, but disappears when called out for obvious BS, even slander and libel.

It would be one thing if he periodically criticized and railed certain Spack decisions ... but he sees all bad and no good. He has zero objectivity when it comes to Spack and ISU football. If you rely on him for your dirt on Spack and ISU, you need to raise your standards.
I don't know him but OSBF seems like a decent guy. He does seem to focus on the negative too much but there are plenty of flyby Redbird posters who do the exact opposite and sweep the negatives under the rug. And then when they get called out on it they whine that everyone's a hater and aren't being fair and disappear as well. OSBF is a fan that wants his team to take the moral high ground while the others are fans who will support their program regardless. There should be room for both kinds of fans (there are Panther fans that think it's time to get rid of Farley and others that don't but we don't try and drive each other off).

And for the record, I believe I'm on record as stating that I think Coprich is a good kid who made a mistake but I do think Spack has let some players off more lightly than he should have. A coach is going to run a program his way and will be subject to criticism as a result. This forum is a great place for those and other kinds of debates. Those that can't handle it should stay in the kiddy pool (their team's forum) where they can paddle around with their water wings.

Redbird 4th & short
February 11th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I don't know him but OSBF seems like a decent guy. He does seem to focus on the negative too much but there are plenty of flyby Redbird posters who do the exact opposite and sweep the negatives under the rug. And then when they get called out on it they whine that everyone's a hater and aren't being fair and disappear as well. OSBF is a fan that wants his team to take the moral high ground while the others are fans who will support their program regardless. There should be room for both kinds of fans (there are Panther fans that think it's time to get rid of Farley and others that don't but we don't try and drive each other off).

And for the record, I believe I'm on record as stating that I think Coprich is a good kid who made a mistake but I do think Spack has let some players off more lightly than he should have. A coach is going to run a program his way and will be subject to criticism as a result. This forum is a great place for those and other kinds of debates. Those that can't handle it should stay in the kiddy pool (their team's forum) where they can paddle around with their water wings.
I would agree with you if he had taken more objective approach. But he went way over the top way too many times on Redbird Forum and lost credibility when it comes to Spack. There are people who criticize Spack decisions. I was one who felt Coprich should have gotten a 1 game suspension, or they at least they should have provided some explanation of the extenuating circumstances.

But my defensiveness of ISU and Spack is entirely towards the people who bash us reflexively, and make no effort to get their facts first.

Be honest .. 3 years ago, would you have believed ISU football would be awarded 2 straight APR awards the same 2 years we had our most successful 2 season ever ? I'm going to guess many here were somewhat or very surprised. I have to assume it is because there are 10-15 posters here who bash us all the time and don't care about facts. OSBF found refuge here with those 10-15 ISU bashers, as if he brings them an insiders view point into all the "dirt" being swept under rug by Spack.

OSBF may be a nice guy when it comes to things having nothing to do with Spack, but he has some misguided vendetta against him and he does not see straight or care about facts. And seems to be on a mission to take him down. I can't ignore that.

uni88
February 11th, 2017, 02:41 PM
I would agree with you if he had taken more objective approach. But he went way over the top way too many times on Redbird Forum and lost credibility when it comes to Spack. There are people who criticize Spack decisions. I was one who felt Coprich should have gotten a 1 game suspension, or they at least they should have provided some explanation of the extenuating circumstances.

But my defensiveness of ISU and Spack is entirely towards the people who bash us reflexively, and make no effort to get their facts first.

Be honest .. 3 years ago, would you have believed ISU football would be awarded 2 straight APR awards the same 2 years we had our most successful 2 season ever ? I'm going to guess many here were somewhat or very surprised. I have to assume it is because there are 10-15 posters here who bash us all the time and don't care about facts. OSBF found refuge here with those 10-15 ISU bashers, as if he brings them an insiders view point into all the "dirt" being swept under rug by Spack.

OSBF may be a nice guy when it comes to things having nothing to do with Spack, but he has some misguided vendetta against him and he does not see straight or care about facts. And seems to be on a mission to take him down. I can't ignore that.
I think we might have different definitions of objective. You feel that you and other Redbird posters are being objective and that your "defensiveness of ISU and Spack is entirely towards the people who bash us reflexively, and make no effort to get their facts first." when I feel that while many of the Redbird faithful arguments are valid they only tell one side of the story and that many of the criticisms leveled toward ISUr are also a valid. It's not a zero sum game where one side is absolutely right and the other is absolutely wrong. You probably think that clenz bashes you reflexively. Guess what, there are a number of MVFC fans (NDSU, YSU, etc.) who feel he does the same to their team. Is he bashing everyone reflexively? The reality from my perspective is that he is extremely knowledgeable about Valley football and while his criticisms might sting they're usually accurate. He is also critical of UNI and I don't take that personally.

The other part of this that I think you and other Redbird posters have failed to see is that much of the criticism is smack and you are taking it much too personally. Roll with the punches throw some smack back and have fun. Don't get all bent out of shape and say you're done with AGS when the fans of opposing teams doesn't buy your arguments and admit they were wrong.

And as far as believing that "ISU football would be awarded 2 straight APR awards the same 2 years we had our most successful 2 season ever". Yes I would believe that but I live in Illinois and have friends whose kids go to ISUr so I know that it's a good school. ISUr and UNI are very similar institutions. Once again, I think you're taking the criticism too seriously.

REALBird
February 11th, 2017, 04:45 PM
uni88,

its a message board. I try not to take anything TOO serious. Having read some of Clenz posts, PantherRob you would think at times those guys are ready to tar and feather Farley. HUGE difference between being a frustrated fan who still roots for your alma mater, but disagrees with the leadership and direction at times. I have NEVER interpreted their frustrations to be anything but loyal fans wanting more for a school they love.

Now I get OSBF wanting accountability, he can even disagree with the choice of coaches or leaderships direction in the Athletic Department. Totally within his right, but I NEVER read any post of his and see the same passion/frustration that I see in other fans. He just spouts piss and vinegar. We get it, you don't like Muller, didn't like Jankovich, dislikes Spack. Got it! But if you're that frustrated then just don't support Illinois State.
But it's just a real Richard (D*ck) move to keep bashing and pretending you still support the school.

Actually, he reminds me of my kids and their friends. One kid falls and accidentally hits his nuts on the bar of his bike. His friends laugh, and he realizes hey if I do it again, they'll keep laughing. Whatever....they're your nuts! But I can think of other ways to impress people laughing at my pain.

Redbird 4th & short
February 12th, 2017, 09:27 AM
I think we might have different definitions of objective. You feel that you and other Redbird posters are being objective and that your "defensiveness of ISU and Spack is entirely towards the people who bash us reflexively, and make no effort to get their facts first." when I feel that while many of the Redbird faithful arguments are valid they only tell one side of the story and that many of the criticisms leveled toward ISUr are also a valid. It's not a zero sum game where one side is absolutely right and the other is absolutely wrong. You probably think that clenz bashes you reflexively. Guess what, there are a number of MVFC fans (NDSU, YSU, etc.) who feel he does the same to their team. Is he bashing everyone reflexively? The reality from my perspective is that he is extremely knowledgeable about Valley football and while his criticisms might sting they're usually accurate. He is also critical of UNI and I don't take that personally.

The other part of this that I think you and other Redbird posters have failed to see is that much of the criticism is smack and you are taking it much too personally. Roll with the punches throw some smack back and have fun. Don't get all bent out of shape and say you're done with AGS when the fans of opposing teams doesn't buy your arguments and admit they were wrong.

And as far as believing that "ISU football would be awarded 2 straight APR awards the same 2 years we had our most successful 2 season ever". Yes I would believe that but I live in Illinois and have friends whose kids go to ISUr so I know that it's a good school. ISUr and UNI are very similar institutions. Once again, I think you're taking the criticism too seriously.
But there is a large gap in your perspective on this .. did you follow OSBF for 5+ years of posting on Redbird Forum ? It went way beyond normal criticism and fan frustration .. it was character assassination. The kind that doesn't just border on libel and slander. He has a vendetta that doesn't allow him to see straight when it comes to Spack. Can we not draw a line somewhere before lashing back at people who bash us ?? especially the factually challenged posts and posters.

I never got that sense from Clenz's frustration with Farley. He was/is hyper critical and lets his emotions run wild when things went wrong, but as Realbird said .. he was being a fan .. root word being fanatic. We have people like that on redbird forum .. they aren't chased away like OSBF.

Though I did get sense that Clenz and several other prominent Spack bashers, that they would lap up anything negative from a discredited person like OSBF, when it comes to anything Spack/ISU football.

Do you wonder why so few ISU fans post here ? Do you really think we all think alike and are all just too sensitive ... all of us, really ??

clenz
February 12th, 2017, 09:30 AM
I read Redbird fanatic occasionally. My name has been used in direct reference as to why people don come here.

It's not a "safe space" for your feelings so your fans done come in large numbers or when you aren't playing for a title.

REALBird
February 12th, 2017, 01:56 PM
I read Redbird fanatic occasionally. My name has been used in direct reference as to why people don come here.

It's not a "safe space" for your feelings so your fans done come in large numbers or when you aren't playing for a title.

While I would say there is some truth to that, aside from you, PanterRob, UNI88 and I may be missing a few. The board isn't filled ti the gills with UNI fans.

Maybe you guys have more who don't fit the "Novemberist/Decembrist" theme but we have to start somewhere. I'd say between 4th, Redbird007, myself and maybe a few others who have tried posting more, we've got a tough row to hoe when those fans of ours that were here (one in particular) doesn't like anything about our programs.

i could give a rats rip about most peoples feelings. Honestly, I'd rather be the assh*le in the room. I agree that the punishment hasn't always fit the crime, but HELL if we're the renegades of the MVFC embrace it. Where my black hat! LOL

uni88
February 12th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Though I did get sense that Clenz and several other prominent Spack bashers, that they would lap up anything negative from a discredited person like OSBF, when it comes to anything Spack/ISU football.

Do you wonder why so few ISU fans post here ? Do you really think we all think alike and are all just too sensitive ... all of us, really?
Clenz is one of the most informed posters on this board or any other FCS board. He knows more about other MVFC and FCS teams than just about anybody. He might listen to OSBF but his criticism of ISUr is based on a whole lot more than what OSBF posts. He is also just as critical of other Valley teams like YSU, NDSU, etc. (including UNI). The difference is that while their posters might not like what he has to say they don't get all bent out of shape and threaten to take their ball and go home. So yes, I do think many of you are too sensitive. If you can't take being reminded of the negative aspects of your program then you should stay on your team's message board (i.e. the kiddy pool). I really hope you don't because the more fans of other teams that participate the better this board is. Redbird fans just need thicker skins and they'll be fine.

Exactly. Maybe if Redbird fans should have gone to Brown where they could have a safe room with cookies, coloring books, calming music, blankets and videos of frolicking puppies. xwhistlex

REALBird
February 12th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Clenz is one of the most informed posters on this board or any other FCS board. He knows more about other MVFC and FCS teams than just about anybody. He might listen to OSBF but his criticism of ISUr is based on a whole lot more than what OSBF posts. He is also just as critical of other Valley teams like YSU, NDSU, etc. (including UNI). The difference is that while their posters might not like what he has to say they don't get all bent out of shape and threaten to take their ball and go home. So yes, I do think many of you are too sensitive. If you can't take being reminded of the negative aspects of your program then you should stay on your team's message board (i.e. the kiddy pool). I really hope you don't because the more fans of other teams that participate the better this board is. Redbird fans just need thicker skins and they'll be fine.

Exactly. Maybe if Redbird fans should have gone to Brown where they could have a safe room with cookies, coloring books, calming music, blankets and videos of frolicking puppies. xwhistlex

Honestly, no problem with anything you said. No problem with Clenz or any other poster not named OSBF.
That being said, I take the good with the bad. Aside from that, I got no problem with criticism. Not like I, as a supporter of the program get a vote on punishment or anything else.

it is, what it is! But that guy......whew. Anyway, Casey's Pizza. Yep!

MSUDuo
February 12th, 2017, 07:51 PM
even one of Lusk's teams has won a postseason tournament, though I can't remember its name.

No they/he haven't/hasn't. Lusk is 0-1 in postseason tournaments.

PantherRob82
February 12th, 2017, 07:52 PM
It's funny, I've known OSBF for years but I have never taken him as a source of information on which I should look to discredit Illinois State. The Redbirds programs do that plenty with the facts that are released via the BloNo media and the school itself.

Overall, this is a message board; it's fun to take things to an extreme and f*** around with people. Most of us call it a good time, others run and hide or go back to their message board to recruit help. Whatever. The cool people stick around and are educated on FCS football. I've shared beer and food with a lot of AGS members over the past 12 years and I hope the next 12 goes the same way.

I find it amusing that my criticism of Coach Farley is taken as extreme. We haven't had a legit offense in years and clenz has backed that up with stats on many occasions. Sure we've won some games here and there or limped into the playoffs, but it always ends in embarrassment. Now our program has like 2 total assistant coaches in the program headed into spring ball. Others might say it's a coincidence and people always move on, I think it says something more. In the end I hope I am wrong and UNI puts a contender on the field. If not I will enjoy games with friends and family and continue following FCS football as a whole.

BisonTru
February 12th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Uber-homers tend not to stick around here especially if their team isn't doing well. Uber-critical fans tend to get pushed out of their home boards. I've been to Redbirdfan and I've seen OBSF post here and I wouldn't put either in the extreme category. YSU's board is the most homerish in the Valley. Bisonville is the most bi-polar.

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Uber-homers tend not to stick around here especially if their team isn't doing well. Uber-critical fans tend to get pushed out of their home boards. I've been to Redbirdfan and I've seen OBSF post here and I wouldn't put either in the extreme category. YSU's board is the most homerish in the Valley. Bisonville is the most bi-polar.

Bisonville is a mess.

uni88
February 12th, 2017, 09:45 PM
It's funny, I've known OSBF for years but I have never taken him as a source of information on which I should look to discredit Illinois State. The Redbirds programs do that plenty with the facts that are released via the BloNo media and the school itself.

Overall, this is a message board; it's fun to take things to an extreme and f*** around with people. Most of us call it a good time, others run and hide or go back to their message board to recruit help. Whatever. The cool people stick around and are educated on FCS football. I've shared beer and food with a lot of AGS members over the past 12 years and I hope the next 12 goes the same way.

I find it amusing that my criticism of Coach Farley is taken as extreme. We haven't had a legit offense in years and clenz has backed that up with stats on many occasions. Sure we've won some games here and there or limped into the playoffs, but it always ends in embarrassment. Now our program has like 2 total assistant coaches in the program headed into spring ball. Others might say it's a coincidence and people always move on, I think it says something more. In the end I hope I am wrong and UNI puts a contender on the field. If not I will enjoy games with friends and family and continue following FCS football as a whole.
Your criticism of Farley isn't extreme. It's based in reason and is valid. I knew Mark in college and cut him slack but I understand the criticism. I would like to see UNI get back to a power running game with a QB who takes advantage of play-action to throw the ball. I also remember what happened when UNI forced out the coach that really put the program on the road to success (Mudra) because they thought they could do better (Earle Bruce). If memory serves, Bruce took a team that lost by a FG in overtime on the road in the semi's and didn't even break .500 the next year. Getting rid of Farley doesn't guarantee greater or even the same level of success.

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2017, 10:04 PM
Bisonville is a mess.

xdizzyx

PantherRob82
February 12th, 2017, 10:53 PM
Your criticism of Farley isn't extreme. It's based in reason and is valid. I knew Mark in college and cut him slack but I understand the criticism. I would like to see UNI get back to a power running game with a QB who takes advantage of play-action to throw the ball. I also remember what happened when UNI forced out the coach that really put the program on the road to success (Mudra) because they thought they could do better (Earle Bruce). If memory serves, Bruce took a team that lost by a FG in overtime on the road in the semi's and didn't even break .500 the next year. Getting rid of Farley doesn't guarantee greater or even the same level of success.

I agree. I'm just frustrated with seeing things that anyone should know won't work at this level. We could get a new coach and have a great offense but never have this caliber of defense. Oh well, life goes on. :)

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2017, 11:12 PM
xdizzyx

Beyond that....I try to not even read it anymore. xlolx

GodHelpTheBears
February 13th, 2017, 06:33 AM
No they/he haven't/hasn't. Lusk is 0-1 in postseason tournaments.

You made me look this up, and good catch - it was one of Cuonzo Martin's teams, they won the CIT.

I don't follow basketball very closely, I thought it was one of Lusk's first two squads.