PDA

View Full Version : Better venues for the championship game

Pages : [1] 2 3

alexale23
January 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/cd98d69366dedf7b64cc41d354d5fd47.png

Opening in 2017 Orlando city 25,500 person stadium... The seats are already purple too..Orlando has great weather and tourist ready with all the theme parks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kdinva
January 15th, 2017, 12:48 PM
just right size, IMO......great weather......west coast teams would want something "in the middle' of the USA, maybe

]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/cd98d69366dedf7b64cc41d354d5fd47.png

Opening in 2017 Orlando city 25,500 person stadium... The seats are already purple too..Orlando has great weather and tourist ready with all the theme parks...

AshevilleApp2
January 15th, 2017, 12:56 PM
What is within easy walking distance to the stadium as far as food, alcohol, etc?

alexale23
January 15th, 2017, 01:07 PM
What is within easy walking distance to the stadium as far as food, alcohol, etc?
A lot.... It's on church st. Which is one of the main downtown streets in Orlando for bars and restaurants.

citdog
January 15th, 2017, 01:46 PM
It's on church st. Which is one of the main downtown streets in Orlando for bars and restaurants.

Getting drunk on Church St?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/4c/4cf45c2b0951a6226adc2a16e2afc18f5624cd02fecc0cec51 3e0ed9f13560c4.jpg

RootinFerDukes
January 15th, 2017, 01:56 PM
It's irrelevant to talk about this for many reasons.

1) we're in Frisco through January 2020 and it's not like the NCAA is going to fall over their feet to move a venue in contract earlier than they have to for Fcs football.

2) it's pointless to speculate about what city would be nice if said city didn't even bid to host it back in 2009. It was Chattanooga, Frisco, little rock, Missoula and Spokane. That's it.
Looking at that list, we probably picked the second best location in Frisco. Staying in Chattanooga would've been better. Does anyone know what stadium little rock was offering? I hope it's not the 54k war memorial stadium that is the Razorbacks home away from home.

If we want a particular city to consider hosting in 2021 and onward, we need to flood their local tourism office with suggestions.
I don't want to hear about how, "this city treats us like we're not just an afterthought". All cities will treat it like an afterthought. That's just reality.
What's important is what is central to where most fan bases will come from (central or southeast), and then which has the cheapest flight and hotel options first, restaurants, night life and attractions second. Be honest, you're showing up to go to a football game, not which town has the best microbreweries.

Hammerhead
January 15th, 2017, 02:12 PM
The stadium in Frisco has lots of room for tailgating and tailgate town activities before the game. Is there much parking around the stadium in Orlando?

Cocky
January 15th, 2017, 02:26 PM
The Benz in the ATL will offer a soccer seating setup. Not sure of the capacity in the Soccer arrangement but its indoors and plenty of flights into the airport.

citdog
January 15th, 2017, 02:29 PM
I am positive that North Charleston, host Charleston Southern, will submit a very competitive bid in 2020.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7061985/buc%20field.jpg

alexale23
January 15th, 2017, 02:30 PM

1) we're in Frisco through January 2020 and it's not like the NCAA is going to fall over their feet to move a venue in contract earlier than they have to for Fcs football.

2) it's pointless to speculate about what city would be nice if said city didn't even bid to host it back in 2009. It was Chattanooga, Frisco, little rock, Missoula and Spokane. That's it.
Looking at that list, we probably picked the second best location in Frisco. Staying in Chattanooga would've been better. Does anyone know what stadium little rock was offering? I hope it's not the 54k war memorial stadium that is the Razorbacks home away from home.

If we want a particular city to consider hosting in 2021 and onward, we need to flood their local tourism office with suggestions.
I don't want to hear about how, "this city treats us like we're not just an afterthought". All cities will treat it like an afterthought. That's just reality.
What's important is what is central to where most fan bases will come from (central or southeast), and then which has the cheapest flight and hotel options first, restaurants, night life and attractions second. Be honest, you're showing up to go to a football game, not which town has the best microbreweries.

It's not pointless 2020 will be here sooner then you think and putting out other ideas could help other cities make other offers. 66 million people visited Orlando in 2015 which makes it the most visited in the nation....Hotels bars and airport infrastructure is more then in place... Orlando is also one of the cheapest airports to fly to... so even west cost people could come...I think if we could get one of the theme parks to sponsor.. the NCAA could make more money..

alexale23
January 15th, 2017, 02:36 PM
The Benz in the ATL will offer a soccer seating setup. Not sure of the capacity in the Soccer arrangement but its indoors and plenty of flights into the airport.

Will be amazing stadium too....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/a2e81a24d29948f2a803f97d91df3db5.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/0b1d4d4146d6190cc613e5002398640b.png

RootinFerDukes
January 15th, 2017, 02:40 PM
I like the idea of Orlando and most Fcs schools who've made it over the last 20 years are from the east coast. However, I would think Orlando hotels are considerably more expensive. It is true that many airlines fly to ORL though. Many towns surrounding too with even cheaper options if you don't care about driving. If it doesn't have toll roads like dfw does, even better.

ATL is a good option too and aren't they about to get a new MLS team?

alexale23
January 15th, 2017, 02:44 PM
I like the idea of Orlando and most Fcs schools who've made it over the last 20 years are from the east coast. However, I would think Orlando hotels are considerably more expensive. It is true that many airlines fly to ORL though. Many towns surrounding too with even cheaper options if you don't care about driving. If it doesn't have toll roads like dfw does, even better.

ATL is a good option too and aren't they about to get a new MLS team?

From wiki......

United will begin play in 2017 in the retractable-roof stadium being built for the Falcons in downtown Atlanta. While the stadium has a capacity of 71,000, it can be reduced to 29,322 for the MLS team.[17] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_United_FC#cite_note-Creditor_2014-17) Stands will be retractable to accommodate a larger pitch and allow better sight lines, while curtains would be used to close off the upper section to create an intimate atmosphere. Blank also said, "There will never be an MLS game in Atlanta where NFL lines are shown on the field."[2] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_United_FC#cite_note-AP_2014-2) In January 2016 it was announced the opening of the stadium was pushed back three months to June 2017.[25] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_United_FC#cite_note-25) On January 6, 2017, the club announced that their first match at Mercedes-Benz Stadium is scheduled for July 30, 2017 against Orlando City SC (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_City_SC).[ (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_United_FC#cite_note-MB_Stadium_opening-26)

The picture above shows the soccer setup....

Horatio
January 15th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Miami

caribbeanhen
January 15th, 2017, 03:57 PM
question... for those of you who have attended FCS Championships in Frisco, any idea how many "locals" come to the game? I realize not many tickets available with the Bison the past 5 years but just curious...

any chance a Frisco area father with no real rooting interest in the game could take his son to a football game? or all sold out?

RootinFerDukes
January 15th, 2017, 04:30 PM
As far as I could tell, it was almost all JMU and YSU fans. There was a handful of NDSU yellow you saw in the stands and that was about it.

Locals in Frisco and all of DFW seemed collectively unaware of any football game happening in their backyard for the most part. Some of the bars and restaurants right by it were aware but they were right there. Some of the Frisco hotels apparently had some signs up but I didn't stay in one.

I would imagine casual local interest was minimal.

alexale23
January 15th, 2017, 04:53 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/7c69217c828854ae47d7e0deda12d0bb.png

East coast might not be happy but 27,000 capacity stubhub center in California..

Thumper 76
January 15th, 2017, 05:00 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/7c69217c828854ae47d7e0deda12d0bb.png

East coast might not be happy but 27,000 capacity stubhub center in California..

xlolx you east coasters are being a bunch of whiny bitches that it got moved to TX let alone all the damn way to CA. You poor flowers would have a meltdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
January 15th, 2017, 05:01 PM
As far as I could tell, it was almost all JMU and YSU fans. There was a handful of NDSU yellow you saw in the stands and that was about it.

Locals in Frisco and all of DFW seemed collectively unaware of any football game happening in their backyard for the most part. Some of the bars and restaurants right by it were aware but they were right there. Some of the Frisco hotels apparently had some signs up but I didn't stay in one.

I have experienced the exact opposite. But that might be due to fact that the people of TX dont know who you are. Where ever we went people would ask us who we were playing that year.

Daytripper
January 15th, 2017, 05:06 PM
BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston....

Seats 22K. Downtown Houston. Drink and eat to your heart's content. Central location. Good weather.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vRGJ6HXRoeo/maxresdefault.jpg
https://wrongsideofthepond.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/houston-bbva-compass-stadium.jpg

alexale23
January 15th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Wow.... these new stadiums are pretty sick... all of them seem be for mls...but man they all super nice...how bout San Jose.....18,000https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/1fb64e1f55925ae5b92c4561a04ea2ee.png

caribbeanhen
January 15th, 2017, 05:49 PM

thanks, that's pretty much how I assumed it was, take it to Orlando and the Bars right across the street wont know about the game, Puerto Ricans and college football are not connected in any way... haha, but the stadiums all look good on this thread for sure....

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2017, 05:51 PM

There were already three bowl games in the prior two weeks with a combined attendance of 139,174. If they hadn't seen a bowl game already, another game in Frisco (which is 48 miles from Ft. Worth and 28 from Dallas) isn't going to drive casual interest.

BisonTru
January 15th, 2017, 06:00 PM
question... for those of you who have attended FCS Championships in Frisco, any idea how many "locals" come to the game? I realize not many tickets available with the Bison the past 5 years but just curious...

any chance a Frisco area father with no real rooting interest in the game could take his son to a football game? or all sold out?

I sat by a father son combo that was local one of the years. They said they have a lot of H.S. (I would assume divisional/state title games) there and they try to go to those as well. They said for the most part those games sell out as well. You would probably see even more local interest if tickets were more openly available although outside of this year there has been at least a decent window of the season to purchase championship tickets.

As far as Frisco, selfishly I wouldn't mind a change of venue since I've done Frisco 4 out of 5 years. Outside of that I don't see much wrong with it though. It's a small enough community and stadium it felt like we packed that town and stadium, but it's a huge metro area that doesn't really even know the game exists yet provides easy travel in and out and really enough rooms available that that would never be an issue.

Also, I think a lot of the complaints about the area are more of a cause of the NDSU effect. Our fans book up pretty much all the closest hotels which spreads out the opponents fans. Even this year I've heard reports of lots of empty rooms in Frisco, which I'm sure a lot of NDSU fans cancelled their rooms after many JMU/YSU folks already found other rooms farther out. IMO, a competent AD even if NDSU also made it down there could find an area somewhat close to hold some fan events and encourage their fans to stay in that area. Also for the YSU guys, don't give away 3K of YOUR tickets.

The last year I was down there the ISUr year. We didn't even go to the NDSU pep rally because I didn't want to deal with the sea of yellow. We went down to the Plano Legacy area and it was so busy we decided to get further out so we wouldn't have to deal with the lines and crowd. We decided to go to the ISUr fan event, which was the only thing I could find for them which was just a few forum posters agreeing to meet up at a certain bar. It was like 8 dudes in red in a full bar a people that had no idea there was a game going on the next day. They had at least 4K fans down there for the game. Redbird fans were oddly stand offish though. We ended up at another bar a ways away from Frisco but close to the hotel that we booked last minute. Another fairly full bar with little to no FCS fans, outside of 6 Redbird fans. Two of them came over and we talked about the game for quite a while. The other four in their group wouldn't dare look at us. I bought them a round of shots and they stared at them for a half hour I think questioning whether I had poisoned them. Tailgating was similar. They spread themselves out and didn't seem interested in mingling much even with their other fans.

I'm not really a fan of Orlando as the only 4 FCS schools in the state are either in the MEAC or Pioneer. So there is really no chance any of them will be in the championship and their fans don't really show much interest in FCS playoff football anyways.

alexale23
January 15th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Not that many local people attend in Frisco anyway... besides some bars and hotels having some welcome signs... which can be done any where.Orlando has easily double the population of locals as well as hundreds of thousands of tourist every day from all over the country and world..throw up a few signs you will feel just as welcome...I think rotating it keeps it fresh too...if a team makes it few years in a row or 2 of 4 people want a different expierance... least I do

RootinFerDukes
January 15th, 2017, 06:03 PM
I have experienced the exact opposite. But that might be due to fact that the people of TX dont know who you are. Where ever we went people would ask us who we were playing that year.

Well yeah, if we had been to and won the prior four consecutive years, they're bound to start recognizing us too.

Cocky
January 15th, 2017, 06:10 PM
What is the stadium in LA or Carson the Chargers are planning to use?

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2017, 06:16 PM
What is the stadium in LA or Carson the Chargers are planning to use?
StubHub Center.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/andy-furillo/zi274v/picture126551214/ALTERNATES/FREE_640/Chargers%20Relocation%20Football

Sader87
January 15th, 2017, 06:19 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24374&stc=1

RootinFerDukes
January 15th, 2017, 06:29 PM
I don't think you should be concerned about FCS schools in the state it's hosted in, especially if they've never been to or likely ever will be in the NC game. You should worry about who's made it the past 20 years (that's still an FCS school) and what approximate region of the country they are in. That's the southeast and mid-atlantic outside of NDSU and Montana.

Heck, it's in TX now and SHSU has been twice since it's been in Frisco and SFA was there back in the 80s. I think that's it for TX schools.

All time appearances by state (excluding now FBS schools):
Montana - 8
Ohio - 7
North Dakota - 5
Delaware - 4
Kentucky - 4
South Carolina - 3
Texas - 3
Virginia - 3
Illinois - 2
Louisiana - 2
Pennsylvania - 2
Florida - 1
Idaho - 1
North Carolina - 1
New York - 1
Iowa - 1
Washington - 1
Maryland - 1
Alabama - 1

FCS champ participating schools by time zone region of country.
EST - 27
CST - 14
MST - 9
PST - 1

Yep. It needs to be more eastern and central if you want to maximize attendance. Sorry west coasters.

BisonTru
January 15th, 2017, 09:07 PM
First off, I think all your MVFC and Southland fans would prefer to keep the game somewhat in the central part of the U.S., and I'm sure the Big Sky guys would like the game as westerly as possible. I can understand why the CAA, Southern, Big South guys would prefer a more eastern location.

The way I see it those who care about the championship and playoffs are limited to pretty much just fans of schools that play in a conference that could compete for the championship. So we can pretty much eliminate the fanbases of the MEAC, SWAC, Ivys, and the Pioneer conferences, and in general their fans don't care much about our playoffs.

Orlando isn't close to any of the contending fanbases. Florida doesn't have one team that fits the bill, and even Georgia only has Mercer that plays in playoff contending conference. However, if we want to move the game farther east. I'd look at Atlanta or somewhere that is a close drive from there. That's an easy enough drive hopefully a few Southern Big South fans may attend even when they aren't in it, and add the CAA to that list should encourage decent attendance from any of those fanbases if they do make the finals. Even the MVFC and Southland teams could make a fairly lengthy drive. I believe Atlanta is only 4 hours further than Frisco for the NDSU folks. Plus add in their airport and plenty of available rooms and it fits the same bill that makes the Dallas/Ft. Worth region an attractive option.

Cocky
January 15th, 2017, 10:44 PM
I prefer somewhere where it warm or indoors. Unless your traveling in a large group or a short distance its cheaper to fly, so location isn't really important to me.

dgtw
January 15th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Atlanta is great for me since I can drive over and back in one day and won't have to get a hotel.

But the FBS championship will be in Atlanta on a rotating basis and is played the Monday after the FCS game. There is also the possibility of a Falcons playoff game that weekend. I doubt they'd want to run the risk of having to deal with three games in three days there.

DoWe
January 15th, 2017, 11:42 PM

Yep, those Frisco locals sound like they are FCS enthusiasts for sure. Yes indeed!

Bisonoline
January 15th, 2017, 11:46 PM
Yep, those Frisco locals sound like they are FCS enthusiasts for sure. Yes indeed!

They sure do like to talk football down there be it FCS, FBS etc. They are football enthusiasts.

PAllen
January 15th, 2017, 11:48 PM
It's been in Orlando - Attendance sucked.

It's been on the west coast - Attendance sucked.

Bisonoline
January 15th, 2017, 11:49 PM
I think Dallas--Frisco area is a great place to hold the natty. As far as the venue(Toyota Stadium) is concerned that could improve.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 15th, 2017, 11:56 PM
I'll continue to advocate having all 3 title games at the same location and trying to turn it into more of an event. Give Indianapolis a shot for 3 years and see how it works. D2 game Friday night at 7:30, D3 11:00 A.M Saturday morning followed by the FCS Championship at 4:30. Given Indy's accessibility to a large % of colleges in this country and the cities ability to host quality events I think it would work.

The NCAA's headquarters are in Indy which might give something like this a boost. Since the FBS title is not recognized by the NCAA they could use the weekend to really promote their championships.

DoWe
January 16th, 2017, 12:04 AM
They sure do like to talk football down there be it FCS, FBS etc. They are football enthusiasts.
So they are knowledgeable about FCS as soon as you bring them up to speed. Gotcha.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 12:07 AM
So they are knowledgeable about FCS as soon as you bring them up to speed. Gotcha.

Your reading comprehension isnt very good is it.

DoWe
January 16th, 2017, 12:18 AM
I didnt say that. Nice try asshole.
Ouch! You implied that once the Frisco locals get to know you they will ask who you are playing this year. Or did you not?

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 12:24 AM
Ouch! You implied that once the Frisco locals get to know you they will ask who you are playing this year. Or did you not?

xcoffeex

caribbeanhen
January 16th, 2017, 06:15 AM
I sat by a father son combo that was local one of the years. They said they have a lot of H.S. (I would assume divisional/state title games) there and they try to go to those as well. They said for the most part those games sell out as well. You would probably see even more local interest if tickets were more openly available although outside of this year there has been at least a decent window of the season to purchase championship tickets.

As far as Frisco, selfishly I wouldn't mind a change of venue since I've done Frisco 4 out of 5 years. Outside of that I don't see much wrong with it though. It's a small enough community and stadium it felt like we packed that town and stadium, but it's a huge metro area that doesn't really even know the game exists yet provides easy travel in and out and really enough rooms available that that would never be an issue.

Also, I think a lot of the complaints about the area are more of a cause of the NDSU effect. Our fans book up pretty much all the closest hotels which spreads out the opponents fans. Even this year I've heard reports of lots of empty rooms in Frisco, which I'm sure a lot of NDSU fans cancelled their rooms after many JMU/YSU folks already found other rooms farther out. IMO, a competent AD even if NDSU also made it down there could find an area somewhat close to hold some fan events and encourage their fans to stay in that area. Also for the YSU guys, don't give away 3K of YOUR tickets.

The last year I was down there the ISUr year. We didn't even go to the NDSU pep rally because I didn't want to deal with the sea of yellow. We went down to the Plano Legacy area and it was so busy we decided to get further out so we wouldn't have to deal with the lines and crowd. We decided to go to the ISUr fan event, which was the only thing I could find for them which was just a few forum posters agreeing to meet up at a certain bar. It was like 8 dudes in red in a full bar a people that had no idea there was a game going on the next day. They had at least 4K fans down there for the game. Redbird fans were oddly stand offish though. We ended up at another bar a ways away from Frisco but close to the hotel that we booked last minute. Another fairly full bar with little to no FCS fans, outside of 6 Redbird fans. Two of them came over and we talked about the game for quite a while. The other four in their group wouldn't dare look at us. I bought them a round of shots and they stared at them for a half hour I think questioning whether I had poisoned them. Tailgating was similar. They spread themselves out and didn't seem interested in mingling much even with their other fans.

I'm not really a fan of Orlando as the only 4 FCS schools in the state are either in the MEAC or Pioneer. So there is really no chance any of them will be in the championship and their fans don't really show much interest in FCS playoff football anyways.

like it

very informative and entertaining post.... I don't think Orlando would go over that well in Bison Nation.... and God help you if they put the game in South Florida ...

walliver
January 16th, 2017, 06:53 AM
The Citadel is renovating their stadium again and it should be ready by the time the Frisco contract is up.
The NCAA ban has moved to North Carolina so Charleston is able to bid again, and it looks like the Hall of Fame Bowl is in limbo. their is plenty of alcohol and Shrimp and Grits in Charleston. And, if it makes a difference, Charleston is the kind of place that wives and girlfriends like to visit ( just don't take both;) ).

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 07:53 AM
I prefer somewhere where it warm or indoors. Unless your traveling in a large group or a short distance its cheaper to fly, so location isn't really important to me.

It's only cheaper to fly if you have to start staying 1 or 2 nights in a hotel each direction due to a cross country drive. If something is within a reasonable days drive from you (8-10 hours IMO), then there's no way a flight is cheaper than driving.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Atlanta is great for me since I can drive over and back in one day and won't have to get a hotel.

But the FBS championship will be in Atlanta on a rotating basis and is played the Monday after the FCS game. There is also the possibility of a Falcons playoff game that weekend. I doubt they'd want to run the risk of having to deal with three games in three days there.

You could say the same thing about the DFW area. There's a FBS playoff game there on a rotating basis in cowboys stadium and always the possibility of cowboys home playoff games too.

All that does is drive up hotel prices in the region that year. It would just suck for the visiting fan bases that year to have to pay more or go further out for a better hotel deal.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 08:01 AM
It's been in Orlando - Attendance sucked.

It's been on the west coast - Attendance sucked.

Please. It has been in orlando once, in 1979, the second ever I-AA championship.

5,500 in attendance to see a game between Eastern Kentucky and Lehigh. EKU currently has 16,959 students to Lehigh's 6,961 students. I can't imagine how much smaller the schools were in 1979.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 08:06 AM
The Citadel is renovating their stadium again and it should be ready by the time the Frisco contract is up.
The NCAA ban has moved to North Carolina so Charleston is able to bid again, and it looks like the Hall of Fame Bowl is in limbo. their is plenty of alcohol and Shrimp and Grits in Charleston. And, if it makes a difference, Charleston is the kind of place that wives and girlfriends like to visit ( just don't take both;) ).

I'd love to see it in Charleston. A destination town that is reasonably drive-able for the entire eastern seaboard. You're right, it won't take much convincing to get the family to go either.

All I ask is that you get Charleston to aggressively pursue a bid in 2020 and for the love of God, resist the urge to pass bathroom bills in SC.

TheRevSFA
January 16th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Of course east coasters want the game on the east coast..they're ****ing lazy :)

Having it in a centralized location such as Dallas, or even up in OKC or KC makes sense for travel. Max flights are 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Easier on travel for the student athletes.

Bisonator
January 16th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Funny how an east coast team wins the chipper after 6 years and all of sudden we need to move the location to the eastern part of the country.xlolx

I wouldn't be apposed to Orlando.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Funny how an east coast team wins the chipper after 6 years and all of sudden we need to move the location to the eastern part of the country.xlolx

Who said anything about winning it? It's our fault your dynasty got in the way for five years?

Just since moving to Frisco, 2010 UD, 2013 Towson, 2016 JMU and YSU. Four EST schools in it.

caribbeanhen
January 16th, 2017, 08:28 AM

probably because not many from the East coast has paid much attention to the FCS championship game the past 5 years but that's kinda what your saying right...

why not put the game on the deck of a Cruise Ship, those things keep getting bigger and bigger, besides it would be a good opportunity for the opposing fan bases to mingle, I'm sure some would decide to jump overboard ....haha

Cocky
January 16th, 2017, 08:47 AM
It's only cheaper to fly if you have to start staying 1 or 2 nights in a hotel each direction due to a cross country drive. If something is within a reasonable days drive from you (8-10 hours IMO), then there's no way a flight is cheaper than driving.
Just flew to Dallas for 225 while it would cost me 750 (roughly 750 miles each way) to drive from Alabama. So unless Im carrying 4 or more its cheaper to fly. Plus I would save close to 6 hours each way I could be doing work.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Who said anything about winning it? It's our fault your dynasty got in the way for five years?

Just since moving to Frisco, 2010 UD, 2013 Towson, 2016 JMU and YSU. Four EST schools in it.
YSU is an MVFC team.

2010:
Washington
Delaware

Texas
North Dakota

Texas
North Dakota

North Dakota
Maryland

Illinois
North Dakota

Alabama
North Dakota

Ohio
Virginia

The Geographic midpoint of the title game participants the last 7 years is Sunbury, IA. For those unfamiliar with Iowa, that is about halfway between Iowa City and Davenport in Eastern Iowa right on I-80. Granted, I weighted that. If we go strictly on 1 point per team the geo point shifts to just NE of Champaign, IL

Given that the geographic mid-point of the FCS is just SE of Louisville, KY, I would argue finding a stadium in the Indianapolis/Louisville stretch of I-65 isn't a horrid idea. One could also make an arguement fro Memphis, St Louis, Nashville, Kansas City....

No matter how you look at it a place like Miami, one of the southeastern most cities in the US, doesn't make a ton of sense. Even Orlando becomes a real stretch.

caribbeanhen
January 16th, 2017, 09:03 AM
The game never goes to Miami is a pretty safe statement,

reasons: they cant even get people to the Cane's games and FCS fans wouldn't know how to drive once the reached the city limits....

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 09:11 AM

So four teams in six years means we have to move it to the East Coast? xlolx sweet math man. That actually makes more of an argument to keep it in the center part of the country, plus it's not as staggering of a time difference for a team having to travel Coast to coast, or really any team.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 09:19 AM
So four teams in six years means we have to move it to the East Coast? xlolx sweet math man. That actually makes more of an argument to keep it in the center part of the country, plus it's not as staggering of a time difference for a team having to travel Coast to coast, or really any team.

4 of 14 potential spots isn't too bad.

NDSU1980
January 16th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Frisco is more centrally located. Leave it there.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Frisco is more centrally located. Leave it there.
I think this is the key thing.

Centrally located with ease of access and a correctly sized stadium.

Believe it or not I'd make a case that Missouri State should get to host, if there was better ways in/out via air (I've never flown, maybe that's not truly an issue)

Weather shouldn't be too much a factor, and really WGAF?

MSU has dumped millions into upgrading Robert W. Plaster Stadium.
It seats 18K, could be more if the NCAA can get MSU to sell SRO/GA tickets in the endzone
Never have to worry about MSU getting "a home game" in the title gamexlolx

https://missouristate.info/images/buildings/Plaster-Stadium-17987-5068.jpg
http://missouristate.info/images/buildings/Plaster-Stadium-18765-0497.jpg
http://magazine.missouristate.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/story_new-facilities.jpg

I give MSU a ton of ****, but it's a pretty damn nice stadium. It would be logistics around the game that would be the issue

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Ahh so now we're only counting the frisco years for our argument because it makes it more convenient for western and midwest fans to justify keeping it in TX. Nevermind the fact that 27 times one of the current FCS programs that have been in a title game, all time, have come from the EST. More than any other region.

It needs to never go further west than TX. In order to have easier access for more potential FCS fan bases, it could move more eastern. As I've shown, most all time competing teams wouldn't consider DFW as "central" to where most schools are coming from.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 09:41 AM
St Louis.

They have a dome that is no longer being used.
Granted it's far too oversized, but if we are going to throw out Atlanta and Indy then...F it.

I've spent a ton of time in St Louis.
Easy to get too.
Tons to do/eat in the direct walking vicinity of the stadium.
Easy access by air
Indoors takes the weather out of the equation.

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 09:43 AM
4 of 14 potential spots isn't too bad.

When it's out of three regions it's essentially 1/3 (generously) which isn't a justification to have it located near them over a geographically central location.

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Ahh so now we're only counting the frisco years for our argument because it makes it more convenient for western and midwest fans to justify keeping it in TX. Nevermind the fact that 27 times one of the current FCS programs that have been in a title game, all time, have come from the EST. More than any other region.

It needs to never go further west than TX. In order to have easier access for more potential FCS fan bases, it could move more eastern. As I've shown, most all time competing teams wouldn't consider DFW as "central" to where most schools are coming from.

You picked the dates starting at 2010, not me champ.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Your compadres are the ones that limited it to Frisco's time frame.

Using time zones is also kind of iffy. Indiana State, though never been to a title game, is about 12 minutes into the Eastern Time Zone

That also gives the Central Time Zone, Jacksonville State, which is actually directly south of Louisville, which is i Eastern time (and east of a handful of Eastern Time Zone schools).

As a matter of fact, if Finnely Stadium was 16.8 miles SW of where it is, you do realize it would be Central Time Zone, right? Hell, I don't know the exact cut off in TN for Central and Eastern, but I'd bet just a handful of miles straight west gets it into the Central time zone.

You do realize time zones aren't a perfectly straight line, right?

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Bowling Green State University - Doyt Perry Stadium

Capacity of 24,000
About as centrally located as you can get
Don't know anything about the logistics of getting there
Have to get past perception of playing national title game in a MAC stadium

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/40811354.jpg

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Papa John's Cardinal Stadium

Far too big (and getting bigger)
Just a handful of miles from the actual Geo-Midpoint of the FCS
Easy to get too (I love the city of Louisville)
Tons of nightlife
Good weather

http://www.pjcardinalstadium.com/images/aireal_photo2.jpg

Planned expansion
http://wdrb.images.worldnow.com/images/8679927_G.jpg

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Commonwealth Stadium - Lexington, KY

About an hour east of the geo-mid
Far too big
Easy to get too

http://www.kentucky.com/latest-news/o50gak/picture43493418/ALTERNATES/FREE_640/12xpVI.So.79.jpeg

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Saluki Stadium - Carbondale, IL

Pretty centrally located
Capacity might be an issue at 15,000 fixed seats. Could probably get a few thousand in the grass hill area though
Not the easiest to get too

http://photocom.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p530314993-3.jpg

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Chapman Stadium - Tulsa, OK

Seats 30,000
Easy to get too
Good weather

http://tulsahurricanefb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/facilities-chapman-stadium.jpg

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Proposed new UAB stadium

Realtively easy to get too?
Capacity might be a bit on the big side (45k)

http://abc3340.com/news/local/gallery/photos-renderings-of-proposed-open-air-football-stadium-in-downtown-birmingham#photo-3
http://abc3340.com/news/local/photos-renderings-of-proposed-open-air-football-stadium-in-downtown-birmingham

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:14 AM
There are options that are pretty centrally located, but the all have warts - mostly getting there or being too big.

Enter Dallas/Fort Worth/Frisco

Maybe enter Houston (though as dumb as this sounds, I have a feeling the NCAA isn't going to be too keen on the orange seating they have there)

I'm not opposed to Chatty again

These are all football hungry places. The locals might not know a ton of about who is in the game, but the bar scene is going to be good and people will want to see games.

That's not going to happen in a place like Orlando for the FCS title game.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Children's Mercy Park - Kansas City

Hosting D2 title game
21K capacity
Easy to get too
Good night life
Real spotty weather...see the last few D2 title games

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/jigvy1/picture45468783/ALTERNATES/LANDSCAPE_1140/SPORTING_052611_SP_MLR_10681F_06-05-2011_T41LP952%20(1)

Daytripper
January 16th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Tulane's Yulman Stadium
Seating 30k

It's in freakin' New Orleans! Reason enough....

http://www.ocfrealty.com/sites/www.ocfrealty.com/files/images/TulaneStadiumGameday2_800_577_s.jpg

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Tulane's Yulman Stadium
Seating 30k

It's in freakin' New Orleans! Reason enough....

http://www.ocfrealty.com/sites/www.ocfrealty.com/files/images/TulaneStadiumGameday2_800_577_s.jpgI honestly forgot about this one, some how.

An option as good as any other Frisco replacements I've posted.

One thing I've heard about it is that it's not real easy to get too. Yes, I know NO is, but the stadium itself was forced into a residential neighborhood and not all that easy to actually get too

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Children's Mercy Park - Kansas City

Hosting D2 title game
21K capacity
Easy to get too
Good night life
Real spotty weather...see the last few D2 title games

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/jigvy1/picture45468783/ALTERNATES/LANDSCAPE_1140/SPORTING_052611_SP_MLR_10681F_06-05-2011_T41LP952%20(1)

Yeah I watched the last D2 natty, it was essentially a blizzard and you couldn't see the field or markers.

Daytripper
January 16th, 2017, 10:37 AM
I honestly forgot about this one, some how.

An option as good as any other Frisco replacements I've posted.

One thing I've heard about it is that it's not real easy to get too. Yes, I know NO is, but the stadium itself was forced into a residential neighborhood and not all that easy to actually get too

Residential location would probably interfere with tailgating, also.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Yeah I watched the last D2 natty, it was essentially a blizzard and you couldn't see the field or markers.
One thing I've learned (and been facinated by) as I've moved further south and east over my life is where weather comes from.

Where I grew up (IA, MN, SD boarder) everything came from the WNW. It came right off of the Black hills and rolled right through Pierre, Sioux Falls, my home town, Worthington (MN), etc... essentially following I-90

I moved to Cedar Falls and the weather no longer came from the W or NW. Everything was SW. I learned to look at what was happening in Des Moines and Kansas City. It was at that point I learned KC gets **** on, a ton. For whatever reason snow, ice, thunder, all of the storms just love to hit Kansas City. It's odd that it took me moving further from Kansas City to figure out how ****ty it can be in Kansas City. At the same time, Kansas City can also have gorgeous weather when it should be crap.

Now I live in the Cedar Rapids metro, and have for 3 years. I still have no idea where our weather comes from. It's only an hour south (by road) of Cedar Falls, but it shifts far enough east that the weather patterns are very different with where they come from. It's almost more southerly than Kansas City now.

I wish I was better at math. I wanted to do meteorology so bad growing up, but was always told math was a big part of it. I hated, and sucked, at math. Thus I didn't do it.

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 10:42 AM
SMU stadium in Dallas? 32,000 capacity.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24375&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24376&stc=1

Daytripper
January 16th, 2017, 10:43 AM
What about the Alamo Dome in San Antonio?
It's big at 65k, but you could cover the endzone seating and knock it back to about 35-40k.
Dome takes out weather problems.
Lot's of stuff to do in San Antonio. Tons of restaurants and bars.
http://dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/131228.RJK_.OEM_.AlamoBowl.Day4_.0166.jpg

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 10:45 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24376&stc=1I considered posting, but I figured if we are going to stay in the Dallas area, there is no reason to move from whatever Pizza Hut Park wants to be called now.

I don't see the need for moving from one Dallas location to another for an extra 12,000 seats. Sure, some years it would be needed bt for the most part it wouldn't.

CHIP72
January 16th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I only read Page 1 of the thread, but what exactly is wrong with Frisco?

If the game is moved from Frisco, Houston could be a possibility. I think keeping the game in the middle of the country in a large, fairly accessible market by airplane is important.

FWIW, there has been a similar debate on the D2 Football board about holding its championship game in Kansas City due to the snow/ice storm that hit the Kansas City area and much of Missouri and Kansas the day before and the day of the championship game. IMO, it would be better if the game if that game was held further south (ironically I think Frisco would be a good site!), but like the FCS/DI-AA championship game, holding it in a fairly new, MLS stadium that is appropriately-sized is the #1 criterion.

Daytripper
January 16th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Bobcat Stadium at Texas State Universtiy.
30k seating
San Marcos is a great college town located between San Antonio and Austin.

http://texasbob.com/stadium/simages/30.jpg

CHIP72
January 16th, 2017, 10:53 AM

I'm not a fan of holding the championship game at a campus stadium for a FBS/DI-A school.

TheRevSFA
January 16th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I considered posting, but I figured if we are going to stay in the Dallas area, there is no reason to move from whatever Pizza Hut Park wants to be called now.

I don't see the need for moving from one Dallas location to another for an extra 12,000 seats. Sure, some years it would be needed bt for the most part it wouldn't.

Ford Field is also easier to get to than Frisco, more stuff with regards to downtown as well, and it's just a hop, skip and jump from Love Field (fly Southwest)

TheRevSFA
January 16th, 2017, 10:54 AM
One thing I've learned (and been facinated by) as I've moved further south and east over my life is where weather comes from.

Where I grew up (IA, MN, SD boarder) everything came from the WNW. It came right off of the Black hills and rolled right through Pierre, Sioux Falls, my home town, Worthington (MN), etc... essentially following I-90

I moved to Cedar Falls and the weather no longer came from the W or NW. Everything was SW. I learned to look at what was happening in Des Moines and Kansas City. It was at that point I learned KC gets **** on, a ton. For whatever reason snow, ice, thunder, all of the storms just love to hit Kansas City. It's odd that it took me moving further from Kansas City to figure out how ****ty it can be in Kansas City. At the same time, Kansas City can also have gorgeous weather when it should be crap.

Now I live in the Cedar Rapids metro, and have for 3 years. I still have no idea where our weather comes from. It's only an hour south (by road) of Cedar Falls, but it shifts far enough east that the weather patterns are very different with where they come from. It's almost more southerly than Kansas City now.

I wish I was better at math. I wanted to do meteorology so bad growing up, but was always told math was a big part of it. I hated, and sucked, at math. Thus I didn't do it.

Same here, and the weather patterns for Houston/Galveston are so different from DFW and even Nacogdoches.

It took some adjustment. Also what was annoying is that the squall lines that blew through dallas in the early evening do not reach houston until morning rush hour, and Houstonians cannot drive worth **** already, put some torrential rains out there and it's a cluster****

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 10:55 AM

Nice, the windsurfing capital of the midwest!

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 10:57 AM
I do realize time zones aren't perfectly straight lines but I also realize you have to set boundaries somewhere. For your IN State argument, JSU is right to the west of the CST/EST border themselves. You can sit there and nit pick everything. EKU was there four times and is barely in the EST. It is what it is.

Cocky
January 16th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Proposed new UAB stadium

Realtively easy to get too?
Capacity might be a bit on the big side (45k)

http://abc3340.com/news/local/gallery/photos-renderings-of-proposed-open-air-football-stadium-in-downtown-birmingham#photo-3
http://abc3340.com/news/local/photos-renderings-of-proposed-open-air-football-stadium-in-downtown-birmingham

The crowd would look huge compared to a UAB crowd.
A city the size of Birmingham has a chance to get excited about the game. If you lucked up and UAT was losing it could be the place to be. Good food everywhere.

Not the best airport but getting there by auto is decent from most places. Birmingham would only be an option if a new facility was build as Legion Field would be a no go.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Nice, the windsurfing capital of the midwest!
SW Minnesota is an interesting place. I thought NW Iowa was bunch of small towns with nothing, then my dad took me to areas he grew up in/around. My dad was grew up in Lismore, so I leanred all about Lismore, Adrian, Worthington, Kanaranzi, Leota, Edgerton, Rushmore, Magnolia, Reading, Wilmont, Kenneth, Trosky, etc...

It's where my love of 98.5 KISD FM out of Pipestone came from. It's all my dad listened too (50-60s hits), so it's what I grew up listening too

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Allen High School Stadium 15 miles SE of Frisco?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24377&stc=1

TheRevSFA
January 16th, 2017, 11:05 AM

The stadium that they spent a **** ton on, and then had to spend more due to shoddy construction!

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Is that place even safe yet?

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I can't believe the D2 title game has 500 more seats than Toyota Stadium where FCS has to play.

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 11:10 AM
The stadium that they spent a **** ton on, and then had to spend more due to shoddy construction!

Actually they didnt spend anything on the repairs. The contractor ate the cost.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 11:11 AM
The only way you could sell a stadium further south and further west is if:

1) significantly larger seating capacity than the 20.5k of Toyota Stadium. Indoors is a plus with January weather.
2) it is at least comparable cost for flights and hotels to what the average fan now pays for the DFW area. If it's more expensive, no go.

CHIP72
January 16th, 2017, 11:16 AM

I realize a ridiculous amount of money is spent on high school football stadiums in Texas and some of them are very nice, but what would the perception be of FCS/DI-AA football if it held its championship game in a high school stadium?

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas? 35,000

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24378&stc=1

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Some of the fans on our message board joked that we should just play it there at that HS because it's still a bigger stadium then Toyota Stadium is.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 11:19 AM
I realize a ridiculous amount of money is spent on high school football stadiums in Texas and some of them are very nice, but what would the perception be of FCS/DI-AA football if it held its championship game in a high school stadium?

Absolutely no different than it already is. I mean UR already plays in a high school stadium.

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 11:24 AM

Couldn't be any worse than if it was played at this un-named perennial FCS power's stadium. At least there's no track around it.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24379&stc=1

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas? 35,000

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24378&stc=1
NCAA sponsored event in Vegas isn't happening any time soon.

Though, the stadium does host a ton of events and isn't a terrible option.

However, talk about a place were locals won't give a single squirt of piss about the game.

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 11:42 AM
The only way you could sell a stadium further south and further west is if:

1) significantly larger seating capacity than the 20.5k of Toyota Stadium. Indoors is a plus with January weather.
2) it is at least comparable cost for flights and hotels to what the average fan now pays for the DFW area. If it's more expensive, no go.

Hold up, you want a larger capacity when y'all didn't even sell out Toyota stadium at a smaller than normal capacity? Totally makes sense xcoffeex

Bison56
January 16th, 2017, 11:45 AM
East coast snobs will never be happy.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Hold up, you want a larger capacity when y'all didn't even sell out Toyota stadium at a smaller than normal capacity? Totally makes sense xcoffeex

Shhh.....

You're correct response should have been

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c7/43/ab/c743ab658c88a9d7b6eb82c41627f2d5.jpg

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 11:50 AM
For the championship game my main criteria are:

-have a mid sized stadium, max 30-35,000 seating, 20-25,000 is about perfect from what I've seen.

- smaller city where it is the main event for the town

- good tailgating capabilities

- decent bar scene

I don't know why upscale dining is really even a discussion for this tbh. I'm not going to a football championship game to sample fine dining. Some local flair in the restaurants that offer good options to showcase the regions cuisine is about it, but I'm going to party for the game, not for a vacation, the game is the vacation. If I want a vacation with fine dining and upscale things I'll take a vacation for that, not a football game.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 11:59 AM

If a combination of NDSU/JMU/Montana ever met in the NC game, they'd need a minimum of a 30k stadium, probably more. You need to have it appropriately sized for your largest fan bases.

Also a SDSU fan can't really talk NC game smack just yet. Try getting to the game first.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 12:04 PM
If a combination of NDSU/JMU/Montana ever met in the NC game, they'd need a minimum of a 30k stadium, probably more. You need to have it appropriately sized for your largest fan bases.

Also a SDSU fan can't really talk NC game smack just yet. Try getting to the game first.
What are the chances of that match up happening?

Montana and NDSU are going to be funneled on the same side of the bracket 95% of time time. Off setting seeds would be needed for that not to happen.

They would't need **** for extra seats. Why? Because in the off chance that for the firs time in 40 title games the two largest fan bases met there are 39 other examples of that not happening. Zero reason to use (or build on a more individual level) a stadium that might be more than 70% capacity once every 30-40 years.

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 12:04 PM

Sure I can if you're going to say stupid things that have exactly 0 to do with whether or not my team has been to the NC. Completely irrelevant to the discussion. Are you relying on the other team to bring 20k to fill up a 30k stadium then? You're gunna bank on a special combination that includes 2 of 3 teams to meet in the NC once and having a 1/3 full stadium the other times? There's a good idea.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Sure I can if you're going to say stupid things that have exactly 0 to do with whether or not my team has been to the NC. Completely irrelevant to the discussion. Are you relying on the other team to bring 20k to fill up a 30k stadium then? You're gunna bank on a special combination that includes 2 of 3 teams to meet in the NC once and having a 1/3 full stadium the other times? There's a good idea.

JMU has been to the title game twice. Montana 7 times. NDSU 5 times.

Barring off setting seeds NDSU and Montana are going to be on the same side of the bracket a minimum of 95% of the time due to geography.

The chances that 2 of those 3 actually meet in the title game is so absurdly slim.

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 12:11 PM
JMU has been to the title game twice. Montana 7 times. NDSU 5 times.

Barring off setting seeds NDSU and Montana are going to be on the same side of the bracket a minimum of 95% of the time due to geography.

The chances that 2 of those 3 actually meet in the title game is so absurdly slim.

Exactly, that's what I was getting at. I should have spelled it out like you did though.

Hammerhead
January 16th, 2017, 12:16 PM
MSP is a big airport hub and US Bank Stadium can be configured for smaller crowds. Not many dining/entertainment option very close which is a big drawback.

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/mls5.jpg.jpg

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 12:18 PM

Those are called Bowl Games

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 12:20 PM
well lets put it this way. NDSU alone is too big for Toyota Stadium. As far as I'm concerned, that's reason enough, especially when they've been there 1/4 of the time over the past 2 decades.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Exactly, that's what I was getting at. I should have spelled it out like you did though.

To go one step further

There have been 39 title games. That means 78 participants.

Montana, NDSU and JMU have combined for 14 of those spots. (JMU only adds 2 to that number but oh well...they want to be the ones involved in this).

That means only 17% of all title game spots have been taken by one of those three....JMU is at 2%. It truly doesn't feel right to include JMU with Montana and NDSU for title appearances, but so be it.

So, from 100% of possible match ups we are down to a potential for that match up a total of 17% of the time.

Take into account geography, ebs and flows of teams being contenders and not, etc... and the reality is, this match up might happen once every 50 years.

I'm sure some mathematician can actually put the numbers together, but even just eyeballing it tells you how low the odds would be for it.

Hell, the only time attendance has proeken 23K involved:
App State in the third year of their title run (vs Delaware)
Then on campus games for Geogia Southern twice
Then games that Marshall hosted...with Marshall involved in all but 1 of them (Youngstown State/Boise State in 1994).

Only 6 other times has attendance topped 20K

Why the hell would a 30k plus seat stadium be needed?

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Bobcat Stadium at Texas State Universtiy.
30k seating
San Marcos is a great college town located between San Antonio and Austin.

http://texasbob.com/stadium/simages/30.jpg

I actually like this idea a lot. Its just down the road from Lockhart and Luling, so all the BBQ connoisseurs can be sated. Its about 30 miles from Austin, so there is transportation. About 20 miles from Gruene, location of the best honky-tonk in Texas. Its kind of out there, but everything is like 30 miles away.

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 12:28 PM
To go one step further

There have been 39 title games. That means 78 participants.

Montana, NDSU and JMU have combined for 14 of those spots. (JMU only adds 2 to that number but oh well...they want to be the ones involved in this).

That means only 17% of all title game spots have been taken by one of those three....JMU is at 2%. It truly doesn't feel right to include JMU with Montana and NDSU for title appearances, but so be it.

So, from 100% of possible match ups we are down to a potential for that match up a total of 17% of the time.

Take into account geography, ebs and flows of teams being contenders and not, etc... and the reality is, this match up might happen once every 50 years.

I'm sure some mathematician can actually put the numbers together, but even just eyeballing it tells you how low the odds would be for it.

Hell, the only time attendance has proeken 23K involved:
App State in the third year of their title run (vs Delaware)
Then on campus games for Geogia Southern twice
Then games that Marshall hosted...with Marshall involved in all but 1 of them (Youngstown State/Boise State in 1994).

Only 6 other times has attendance topped 20K

Why the hell would a 30k plus seat stadium be needed?

You could have substituted Youngstown for JMU to get a more impactful number. Unfortunately Youngstown only needs ~ 1000 seats...

uni88
January 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM
NCAA sponsored event in Vegas isn't happening any time soon.

Though, the stadium does host a ton of events and isn't a terrible option.

However, talk about a place were locals won't give a single squirt of piss about the game.

I get the potential appeal of Orlando - easy to fly to, good chance of cheap flights, lots of hotel and entertainment options. Availability and cost should be good a week after New Years depending on what conventions/competitions are in town. There is so much going on there that the locals won't care.

Vegas has very similar advantages/disadvantages. If Orlando is an option than Vegas is a viable alternative.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Watch JMU/NDSU on opposite sides of the bracket next year because the NCAA wants to set up a rematch.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 12:33 PM
You could have substituted Youngstown for JMU to get a more impactful number. Unfortunately Youngstown only needs ~ 1000 seats...

They ended up bringing about 3,000 fans I would guess. 14.5k announced, it felt like more than that with ~1k empty seats (16.5k capacity after construction). Some of our fans said the ticket scanners didn't bother to scan their tickets at all. 1k max was neutral support. It looked like a roughly 3 to 1 jmu/ysu split in the stands.

Why include JMU? I don't know maybe because we brought 10k to both games which is more than all but NDSU and UM can say.

TheRevSFA
January 16th, 2017, 12:33 PM

Try repeating appearances in the Natty and then talk about if NDSU vs JMU.

The chances of that match happening are slim. There's not a point to getting a bigger stadium that would be a cavern if it was EWU vs SFA or Sam vs Lehigh

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 12:37 PM
They ended up bringing about 3,000 fans I would guess. 14.5k announced, it felt like more than that with ~1k empty seats (16.5k capacity after construction). Some of our fans said the ticket scanners didn't bother to scan their tickets at all. 1k max was neutral support. It looked like a roughly 3 to 1 jmu/ysu split in the stands.

Why include JMU? I don't know maybe because we brought 10k to both games which is more than all but NDSU and UM can say.
Your logic is working against you.

If only 3 schools in the nation can bring 10,000 fans and those 3 schools have accounted for just 17% of the total spots ever played in a national title game why is there a need for more than 21k...ish seats?

Hypothetically, maybe some time down the road UNI could draw 35K for a home game...maybe. It could happen. Maybe we should build a 35k seat stadium. That would make sense according to you...right?

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 12:42 PM
well lets put it this way. NDSU alone is too big for Toyota Stadium. As far as I'm concerned, that's reason enough, especially when they've been there 1/4 of the time over the past 2 decades.

I doubt we see a run of bison dominance like we have seen, for a lot of factors that have changed in the region and possible changes in their university. Not saying they are going to take a massive tumble, but I'm not sure they will be there 1/4 of the time either.

As to the stadium being too small for them, possibly. Would you rather have the stadium sold out when they make it and mostly full when they don't or mostly full when they do and half full when they don't? I think it's dangerous to bank on one team out of the entire subdivision to be there to fill the stadium, it wasn't that long ago when NDSU was just a good team in DII.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 12:42 PM
The likelihood of a NDSU/UM/JMU title game is greater than UNI drawing 35k to a home game. Now you're just being silly. Let me know when they have a new facility plan released for starters.

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 12:45 PM
The likelihood of a NDSU/UM/JMU title game is greater than UNI drawing 35k to a home game. Now you're just being silly. Let me know when they have a new facility plan released for starters.

I https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/f326cd016fb2c40a7651366a47af43c2.jpg

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Watch JMU/NDSU on opposite sides of the bracket next year because the NCAA wants to set up a rematch.

You give the NCAA too much credit.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 12:47 PM
UNI has renderings for redoing the dome - not the point I was making. Not shocked you aren't smart enough to see that.

Sure. I'll grant you that maybe NDSU/JMU/Montana can draw 35K in a perfect set up. I'll also tell you that a UNI/NDSU game would draw 35-40K. I don't have the ratings saved anymore, but the UNI/NDSU playoff game last year outdrew the vast majority of FCS games ever played on TV...and it was the quarters. I think that game was like 1.3-1.4 million.

Hell, I forgot JMU and Montana DID play in a title game. 2004. Why I forgot that, no idea.

Want to know what you ****ers drew? 16,700. One year later UNI played in the title game. One year.... Drew nearly 5,000 more people.

Facts, mother ****er

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 12:50 PM
I doubt we see a run of bison dominance like we have seen, for a lot of factors that have changed in the region and possible changes in their university. Not saying they are going to take a massive tumble, but I'm not sure they will be there 1/4 of the time either.

As to the stadium being too small for them, possibly. Would you rather have the stadium sold out when they make it and mostly full when they don't or mostly full when they do and half full when they don't? I think it's dangerous to bank on one team out of the entire subdivision to be there to fill the stadium, it wasn't that long ago when NDSU was just a good team in DII.

Yes, I would rather see if mostly full for the largest fan base and half empty when other teams are there. To hell with the FCS perception. Casual fans aren't going to think, "oh look at that, this stadium is decently full and not just half full, so let me stop and watch this Division 2 football game".

I want to know that any fan that wants to be there can do so at a reasonable price. If that's wrong, than I don't want to be right.

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 12:53 PM
UNI has renderings for redoing the dome - not the point I was making. Not shocked you aren't smart enough to see that.

Sure. I'll grant you that maybe NDSU/JMU/Montana can draw 35K in a perfect set up. I'll also tell you that a UNI/NDSU game would draw 35-40K. I don't have the ratings saved anymore, but the UNI/NDSU playoff game last year outdrew the vast majority of FCS games ever played on TV...and it was the quarters. I think that game was like 1.3-1.4 million.

Hell, I forgot JMU and Montana DID play in a title game. 2004. Why I forgot that, no idea.

Want to know what you ****ers drew? 16,700. One year later UNI played in the title game. One year.... Drew nearly 5,000 more people.

Facts, mother ****er

I hate when people use statistics to prove a point rather than just rhetoric and hearsay.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Clenz I got your point.

That 2005 title game was overwhelming App State fans who were the best attended FCS program for at least a decade and were a whopping 4.5 hour drive away. Facts.

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Clenz I got your point.

That 2005 title game was overwhelming App State fans who were the best attended FCS program for at least a decade and were a whopping 4.5 hour drive away. Facts.

So the extra 1.5 hour drive from Harrisonburg was too much?

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Clenz I got your point.

You're making my point for me, and you don't see it. Man this is too good to be true.

App State, at the beginning of their run, with a 4.5 hour drive managed only 20,200. They were one of/the biggest FCS fan base there was while they were here. They managed 20-22K just 4 hours from home.

You're telling me that JMU/Montana would draw 35K. Yet it happened. In the eastern time zone. Less than a 7 hour drive from JMU (an easy drive). A 3 hour flight (currently $345...I assume 13 years ago it wasn't that much). It had all the ideal makings based on your criteria and it drew less than half of what you say it would.

FWIW, the 05 title game is on YouTube. To say that was "overwhelming" App State is overstating it. I can tell you from pictures of people I know that were there it's overstating it too. Turns out a night game, on TV, featuring teams that have fans that were black and yellow and purple and yellow tend to blend together, especially pre-HD tv. Sure, App State had more, but it wasn't this overwhelming majority like you want to call it.

I can also tell you, from the limited video/photos I can find of that 04 game that crowd was carried by Montana more than 05 and App State. Montana filled their entire side, and the other side was pretty empty but more Montana than JMU fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OpQaOdzvz8

AmsterBison
January 16th, 2017, 01:28 PM
U.S. Bank Stadium. Minneapolis is a travel hub and the stadium has the advantage of being expandable if ticket demand exceeds the 20k configuration they use for soccer. And it's indoors so there won't be the "it's too cold" noise pollution (and no worry about Florida thunderstorms.)

Frisco is great though.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 01:30 PM

xnodx

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 01:30 PM
What about the Alamo Dome in San Antonio?
It's big at 65k, but you could cover the endzone seating and knock it back to about 35-40k.
Dome takes out weather problems.
Lot's of stuff to do in San Antonio. Tons of restaurants and bars.
http://dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/131228.RJK_.OEM_.AlamoBowl.Day4_.0166.jpg

xnodx

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 01:31 PM
So the extra 1.5 hour drive from Harrisonburg was too much?

Hburg is 7 hours to Chattanooga
Most fans will come from Richmond - 8 hrs
DC metro - 9 hrs

JMU averaged 11k most years prior to the 2004 championship and subsequent boom in fans. We were on the road the whole postseason too and that what helps build enthusiasm. We're definitely not the crowds that App State drew back then, that's for sure.

Speaking of numbers, 16,771 in 2004 compared to 20,236 in 2005. That's a 3,465 difference. Clenz's calculator must be broken.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Chapman Stadium - Tulsa, OK

Seats 30,000
Easy to get too
Good weather

http://tulsahurricanefb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/facilities-chapman-stadium.jpg

Tulsa is known for terrible ice storms.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Saluki Stadium - Carbondale, IL

Pretty centrally located
Capacity might be an issue at 15,000 fixed seats. Could probably get a few thousand in the grass hill area though
Not the easiest to get too

http://photocom.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p530314993-3.jpg

You do not want to have a natty there. Infrastructure couldnt handle it. Plus its a crap hole.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 01:35 PM
DC metro - 9 hrs

JMU averaged 11k most years prior to the 2004 championship and subsequent boom in fans. We were on the road the whole postseason too and that what helps build enthusiasm. We're definitely not the crowds that App State drew back then, that's for sure.

Speaking of numbers, 16,771 in 2004 compared to 20,236 in 2005. That's a 3,465 difference. Clenz's calculator must be broken.
UNI played in New Hampshire and Texas in the two weeks leading up to the national title game for them.

UNI was 7-4 going into the playoffs that year.

It's an extra 4+ hours from Cedar Falls to Chatty than Harrisonburg.

It's longer from Cedar Falls to Chatty than DC to Chatty.

You're still coming up with excuses.

You drew 15K for a home playoff game. You're going to get 20K to go to Texas or Florida to watch you play NDSU/Montana?

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 01:36 PM

yep. KC during the winter is not good.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 01:37 PM
I never said a UM/JMU title game would draw 35k. A JMU/NDSU one could if both fan bases brought their potential. By all means, keep putting words in my mouth. NDSU probably could bring 25-30k just themselves from what people say. 10k still hanging out in town that couldn't even get a ticket? Those people are just crazy haha.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I never said a UM/JMU title game would draw 35k. A JMU/NDSU one could if both fan bases brought their potential. By all means, keep putting words in my mouth. NDSU probably could bring 25-30k just themselves from what people say. 10k still hanging out in town that couldn't even get a ticket? Those people are just crazy haha.
You want to stand by that statement?

You'll cry "technicality" on me, but are you sure you want to stand by that statement?

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 01:42 PM
DC metro - 9 hrs

NDSU - Frisco ===> 16 hours, through blizzards, ice storms, up hill both ways, etc etc. For those out in rural ND or MN, probably going around road barricades due to drifted shut road closures, following snow plows @ 30 miles an hour, etc. JMU excuses are weak by comparison.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 01:43 PM
15k for a friday night game with six days notice and it was low 20 degrees at kickoff? Compare it to 3 weeks notice, national championship game. Weather still sucked though.

That's may apples to oranges excuse.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 01:44 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24380&stc=1

Screenshot before a potential edit

You said, and I quote

If a combination of NDSU/JMU/Montana ever met in the NC game, they'd need a minimum of a 30k stadium, probably more.

A combination of NDSU/JMU/Montana includes JMU/Montana, does it not?

That is a combination that did happen. In the eastern time zone. It drew 16K.

Are you wanting to amend your statement?

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 01:44 PM

I have no issues with either a HS stadium or an FBS stadium as long as they have the seating capacity and its not a crap hole that has nice hotels and restaurants.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Yes Senator Clenz. I would like to make an amendment on my statement. Please record the following in the AGS constitution so that it's ingrained in stone.

NDSU/UM 35k
NDSU/JMU 35k
JMU/UM 18k

Please excuse me for not fully detailing all of the potential combinations in this hypothetical internet fight. You are right, I am wrong. Such is life.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 01:48 PM
For the championship game my main criteria are:

-have a mid sized stadium, max 30-35,000 seating, 20-25,000 is about perfect from what I've seen.

- smaller city where it is the main event for the town

- good tailgating capabilities

- decent bar scene

I don't know why upscale dining is really even a discussion for this tbh. I'm not going to a football championship game to sample fine dining. Some local flair in the restaurants that offer good options to showcase the regions cuisine is about it, but I'm going to party for the game, not for a vacation, the game is the vacation. If I want a vacation with fine dining and upscale things I'll take a vacation for that, not a football game.

Youre there for the party. Other demographics have other requirements.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 01:50 PM
15k for a friday night game with six days notice and it was low 20 degrees at kickoff? Compare it to 3 weeks notice, national championship game. Weather still sucked though.

That's may apples to oranges excuse.
UNI's national title game involved 1 week notice, a 13 hour drive, and they still brought 8-9K to Chatty.

That's the thing. If the best JMU can do is 10K, on 3 weeks notice, after being a top 5 team all season and going up against one of the most storied programs in history AND JMU is one of the 3 biggest fan bases there is zero reason to have a bigger stadium.

The FBS title game was played in a stadium of 65K. Alabama averages over 100k for home games. Clemson over 82K.

I guess we need to build stadiums that could hold up to about 150K for those games, right? Think about it. 2015 average attedances, and we could see these teams match up

Michigan 110k
Ohio State 107K
TAMU 104K
LSU 102K
Bama 101K
Tennessee 100k
Penn St - 100k
Georgia 92K
Florida 90k
Texas 90k

It's a very real possibility to have a title game involving some combo of those 10 teams (it's happened). We need to have a 150K seat stadium ready for that....amirite?

walliver
January 16th, 2017, 01:59 PM
UNI's national title game involved 1 week notice, a 13 hour drive, and they still brought 8-9K to Chatty.

That's the thing. If the best JMU can do is 10K, on 3 weeks notice, after being a top 5 team all season and going up against one of the most storied programs in history AND JMU is one of the 3 biggest fan bases there is zero reason to have a bigger stadium.

The FBS title game was played in a stadium of 65K. Alabama averages over 100k for home games. Clemson over 82K.

I guess we need to build stadiums that could hold up to about 150K for those games, right? Think about it. 2015 average attedances, and we could see these teams match up

Michigan 110k
Ohio State 107K
TAMU 104K
LSU 102K
Bama 101K
Tennessee 100k
Penn St - 100k
Georgia 92K
Florida 90k
Texas 90k

It's a very real possibility to have a title game involving some combo of those 10 teams (it's happened). We need to have a 150K seat stadium ready for that....amirite?

We could have the National Championship at Bristol Speedway.
It has everything. Bad weather. Middle of Nowhere. Nothing to do. ... But seats for everybody.

RootinFerDukes
January 16th, 2017, 02:03 PM
I mean if ETSU and WCU can play there, why the hell not haha. Someone might say the seats are too far from the field though.

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2017, 02:04 PM
I mean if ETSU and WCU can play there, why the hell not haha. Someone might say the seats are too far from the field though.

I would never do such a thing xrotatex

Bisonator
January 16th, 2017, 02:09 PM
It has everything. Bad weather. Middle of Nowhere. Nothing to do. ... But seats for everybody.
Awesome idea! Let's combine it with a race at the same time! :D

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 02:10 PM

If we wanted that we might as well have the game in Missoula. At least we could get some skiing in too.

alexale23
January 16th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Wow this thread got lot of attention..... I think Atlanta would be my top choice.... with the state of the art Mercedes stadium that can open or close... and the ability to convert the 70000 capacity to under 30000.... The teams that make the title game deserve a top of the line experience...Atlanta Mercedes dome would be my top pick....Honestly though there is prolly no chance for Atlanta because of the chance the falcons host a playoff game that sat..unless they change the championship to fri night.... which would be a better idea anyway ...

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Wow this thread got lot of attention..... I think Atlanta would be my top choice.... with the state of the art Mercedes stadium that can open or close... and the ability to convert the 70000 capacity to under 30000.... The teams that make the title game deserve a top of the line experience...Atlanta Mercedes dome would be my top pick....

Is it down town? Was at the NWTF Convention and Sports Show. Vendors lost money. Gun fire out on the streets. It was terrible. Attendees hated it. Have no desire to go back to that town. NWTF hasnt been back either.

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Is it down town? Was at the NWTF Convention and Sports Show. Vendors lost money. Gun fire out on the streets. It was terrible. Attendees hated it. Have no desire to go back to that town. NWTF hasnt been back either.
It's going up directly next to the Georgia Dome.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mercedes-Benz+Stadium/@33.7557602,-84.401228,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x26c649fe64020913!8m2!3d33.75 57602!4d-84.401228

alexale23
January 16th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Not to familiar with the atl.... its next to the Georgia dome olympic park and college football hall of fame... I know Atlanta doesn't have the best reputation for safety.but the world famous strip clubs may make up for that... haha. There are a lot of college football games played in Atlanta every year including chik fila peach bowl and celebration bowl.... So I don't see a problem if those games can be played there

walliver
January 16th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Not to familiar with the atl.... its next to the Georgia dome olympic park and college football hall of fame... I know Atlanta doesn't have the best reputation for safety.but the world famous strip clubs may make up for that... haha. There are a lot of college football games played in Atlanta every year including chik fila peach bowl and celebration bowl.... So I don't see a problem if those games can be played there

Downtown Atlanta isn't a great place to stay. The last time I stayed downtown, when we checked in, the concierge told us there was a good restaurant one block a way, and that hotel security could escort us there and back. Atlanta is a modern urban sprawl city. The well-off commute from either Buckhead or the suburbs. The life of the city is peripheral, not central. I've enjoyed most big cities I have visited such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco, London, and others, but I absolutely hate Atlanta. There are a large number of professional organizations that refuse to travel to Atlanta due to previous incidents.

To some extent, there is safety in numbers and the Falcons, SEC and Chik-fil-A games bring in those numbers. If you are satisfied to party at your hotel, go the the game, and finish the party at your hotel it can be a great location

bostonspider
January 16th, 2017, 04:15 PM
How about D.C.? The new United Stadium will be downtown, and will seat about 20k

http://dc-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/Page%20Images/DCU_c0300_4k%20v02.jpg

dewey
January 16th, 2017, 04:55 PM
How about D.C.? The new United Stadium will be downtown, and will seat about 20k

http://dc-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/Page%20Images/DCU_c0300_4k%20v02.jpg

The weather would be way colder in DC in January than Dallas.

This topic has been discussed before.

Dewey

cx500d
January 16th, 2017, 04:56 PM

Wouldn't mind it, but weather pretty iffy in D.C. The commute might be too far for the jmu crowd. I'd vote for Missoula over D.C. I go to D.C. All the time for work, but I haven't been to Missoula in years.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Downtown Atlanta isn't a great place to stay. The last time I stayed downtown, when we checked in, the concierge told us there was a good restaurant one block a way, and that hotel security could escort us there and back. Atlanta is a modern urban sprawl city. The well-off commute from either Buckhead or the suburbs. The life of the city is peripheral, not central. I've enjoyed most big cities I have visited such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco, London, and others, but I absolutely hate Atlanta. There are a large number of professional organizations that refuse to travel to Atlanta due to previous incidents.

To some extent, there is safety in numbers and the Falcons, SEC and Chik-fil-A games bring in those numbers. If you are satisfied to party at your hotel, go the the game, and finish the party at your hotel it can be a great location

Bingo. You can also pay the thugs to watch your car. Its a form of insurance I was told.

alexale23
January 16th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Bingo. You can also pay the thugs to watch your car. Its a form of insurance I was told.
Atlanta doesn't scare me..... I've seen crazy living in the Bay Area.... Some one from Fargo on the other hand... yeh they would have culture shock and prolly never go back...

JSUSoutherner
January 16th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Atlanta doesn't scare me..... I've seen crazy living in the Bay Area.... Some one from Fargo on the other hand... yeh they would have culture shock and prolly never go back...
Atlanta is just like anywhere else. It has its good places and bad places. The area around the dome and CNN center is really nice but the SW side of town is a total dumpster fire.

nodak651
January 16th, 2017, 05:48 PM
I like the Orlando idea. Plus it has direct flights from Grand Forks and Fargo.

Vegas would be perfect if the NCAA allowed it.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 05:50 PM

I lived in the Bay Area. Oakland and San Leandro. Plus San Diego. Its not about being scared. Its about being safe, having a good time and not putting up with a bunch of **** to do so. Especially when you are coming in for just the weekend and you dont know the lay of the land.

alexale23
January 16th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I lived in the Bay Area. Oakland and San Leandro. Plus San Diego. Its not about being scared. Its about being safe, having a good time and not putting up with a bunch of **** to do so. Especially when you are coming in for just the weekend and you dont know the lay of the land.
That's true but it doesn't mean you have to have the game in some cookie cutter suburbia town..You are basically saying no large city should host.I'd imagine with such a beautiful stadium there would be plenty of safe places to drink and eat

Redbird007
January 16th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Awesome idea! Let's combine it with a race at the same time! :D

YES...That is what I have been saying colleges should do that have a track inside the football stadium to save money. Well they could save even more money by having the track meet and football game at the same time. Make it a complete cluster F.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 06:06 PM
That's true but it doesn't mean you have to have the game in some cookie cutter suburbia town..You are basically saying no large city should host.I'd imagine with such a beautiful stadium there would be plenty of safe places to drink and eat

Went to the Orange bowl and we stayed at a hotel close to the stadium. I imagined it was safe since the police station was close by and the parking lot was fully lighted. Oh silly me. my car was broken in to and of course robbed.

So why does it have to be in a mega city? Whats the matter with a suburban town that has the infrastructure to handle 20-30k people? Ive also found that outlier stadiums have a much better traffic pattern than downtown stadiums where traffic is usually atrocious even on a good day.

Plus downtown stadium dont afford great or any tailgating opportunities for large RVs and trailers.

Downtown stadiums are built for the sole purpose of directing customers to downtown businesses.

Daytripper
January 16th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Went to the Orange bowl and we stayed at a hotel close to the stadium. I imagined it was safe since the police station was close by and the parking lot was fully lighted. Oh silly me. my car was broken in to and of course robbed.

So why does it have to be in a mega city? Whats the matter with a suburban town that has the infrastructure to handle 20-30k people? Ive also found that outlier stadiums have a much better traffic pattern than downtown stadiums where traffic is usually atrocious even on a good day.

#Truth

GodHelpTheBears
January 16th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Every time I pass through Frisco, I think it's OK - it's fairly new American suburbia. I can see why the more urban-inclined folks may think it is a lacking host.

Personally, if the Bears ever actually made it to the championship game, they could play inside the Door to Hell in Turkmenistan and I'd still go.

Cocky
January 16th, 2017, 07:28 PM
MSP wouldnt be bad if Manny's is open.

Ive been to most of the larger cities in the US and the only one Ive visited and didnt fill comfortable in is New Orleans. Go to the ATL often and the Dome area hasnt ever given me an issue.

Attendance of game, JSU doesnt know if we would bring a bigger crowd or not as NDSU had most of the tickets purchased before we won in the Semis.

dgtw
January 16th, 2017, 11:59 PM
You could say the same thing about the DFW area. There's a FBS playoff game there on a rotating basis in cowboys stadium and always the possibility of cowboys home playoff games too.

All that does is drive up hotel prices in the region that year. It would just suck for the visiting fan bases that year to have to pay more or go further out for a better hotel deal.

But the suggestion was to play it at the new Georgia Dome, which could mean three games in three days at the same stadium, not just in the same city.

RootinFerDukes
January 17th, 2017, 07:47 AM
I'm not okay with a northern half US city that isn't an indoor stadium, but if they moved it to MSP, it better be at least a 30k facility (calm down clenz, just this once). Lord knows how many Bison would come, even if their team wasn't in it, if it was as close as MSP.

RootinFerDukes
January 17th, 2017, 07:51 AM
MSP wouldnt be bad if Manny's is open.

Ive been to most of the larger cities in the US and the only one Ive visited and didnt fill comfortable in is New Orleans. Go to the ATL often and the Dome area hasnt ever given me an issue.

Attendance of game, JSU doesnt know if we would bring a bigger crowd or not as NDSU had most of the tickets purchased before we won in the Semis.

I've been to NOLA only once and my wife twice. They were nearly mugged on her visit with friends the second time just for going a block off bourbon street. A man was very aggressively asking for their digital camera and getting angry that they wouldn't let him see it. They had to go into a business until he disappeared. They say the 9th ward was awful before Katrina made it a ghost town now. We were also with a student group the time I visited and some really crappy looking men started running at our car and we had to quickly drive off.

Bourbon street area was great, but it was certainly shady elsewhere.

POD Knows
January 17th, 2017, 08:36 AM
I've been to NOLA only once and my wife twice. They were nearly mugged on her visit with friends the second time just for going a block off bourbon street. A man was very aggressively asking for their digital camera and getting angry that they wouldn't let him see it. They had to go into a business until he disappeared. They say the 9th ward was awful before Katrina made it a ghost town now. We were also with a student group the time I visited and some really crappy looking men started running at our car and we had to quickly drive off.

I have been to NOLA a couple times on business and when we went the Quarter, we always traveled in fairly large packs and didn't really have any trouble but the city as a whole sucks balls, I am sorry, it just does.

Gil Dobie
January 17th, 2017, 08:41 AM
A lot.... It's on church st. Which is one of the main downtown streets in Orlando for bars and restaurants.

Rather deal with suburbs than downtown Orlando traffic.

FAU Stadium would be a great vacation destination for western or northern teams fans.

walliver
January 17th, 2017, 09:10 AM
I have been to NOLA a couple times on business and when we went the Quarter, we always traveled in fairly large packs and didn't really have any trouble but the city as a whole sucks balls, I am sorry, it just does.

N'Awlins is a great place for big events: Super Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Bayou Classic, and even Saints games because there is safety in numbers. Tens of thousands of fans walking along the main roads provides protection from assaults and armed robbery (not necessarily from pick-pockets). Unfortunately, the FCS championship is not that big and won't bring the same crowds.

Tulane's stadium is uptown and relatively safe, but it is in a residential area with few nearby accommodations and little to do, and a doubt the neighborhood would want the game. The main problem with New Orleans is that if a new visitor gets just one block off the safe routes, things can go bad quickly. If a hotel concierge tells you to take a cab for a 2-3 block ride ... listen to him.

Cocky
January 17th, 2017, 09:39 AM
N'Awlins is a great place for big events: Super Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Bayou Classic, and even Saints games because there is safety in numbers. Tens of thousands of fans walking along the main roads provides protection from assaults and armed robbery (not necessarily from pick-pockets). Unfortunately, the FCS championship is not that big and won't bring the same crowds.

Tulane's stadium is uptown and relatively safe, but it is in a residential area with few nearby accommodations and little to do, and a doubt the neighborhood would want the game. The main problem with New Orleans is that if a new visitor gets just one block off the safe routes, things can go bad quickly. If a hotel concierge tells you to take a cab for a 2-3 block ride ... listen to him.

Exactly why I try to avoid NOLA. The food is great which makes it hard resist but luckily several great LA cooks in the rural areas.

DirtyDukes
January 17th, 2017, 09:44 AM

New Orleans is a dirtier, scarier Charleston. Savannah tops both.

Cocky
January 17th, 2017, 09:56 AM
you have started a good list of cities I care little about visiting.

cx500d
January 17th, 2017, 10:11 AM

I spent 10 years as a reservist in a squadron at the New Orleans Naval Air Station, commuting there several times per month. During this time I spent time in many parts of the city and surrounding suburbs. I never had an issue. Admittedly I never went to the 9th ward, but why would you unless you lived there?

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Yes, I would rather see if mostly full for the largest fan base and half empty when other teams are there. To hell with the FCS perception. Casual fans aren't going to think, "oh look at that, this stadium is decently full and not just half full, so let me stop and watch this Division 2 football game".

I want to know that any fan that wants to be there can do so at a reasonable price. If that's wrong, than I don't want to be right.

Basically you would rather have a bunch of empty seats to be able to get cheap tickets....

RootinFerDukes
January 17th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Basically you would rather have a bunch of empty seats to be able to get cheap tickets....

If you'd rather pay $200+ per seat to see FCS football, that's your prerogative. There was a $1,000 ticket for sale this year. You could've bought it.

walliver
January 17th, 2017, 12:14 PM

Which stadium would you play in?

citdog
January 17th, 2017, 12:23 PM
you have started a good list of cities I care little about visiting.

Alabama trash should stay in Alabama.

citdog
January 17th, 2017, 12:27 PM

The entire State of Georgia was founded by convicts. Not much has changed. Charleston makes savannah look like selma.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/--2MCdaxOrtI/WHwoyGwwUaI/AAAAAAAAEbA/WcYC6K5EbPIw8YAYZrxabvzq_e2sfXdTACLcB/s400/sign.jpg

TheKingpin28
January 17th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I would not be opposed to the Houston Stadium once the current contract is up, but I do love Frisco. They have treated the FCS quite well.

Southern Bison
January 17th, 2017, 02:59 PM
So this has reached 190 posts because the purple pups didn't get their ass kissed in Frisco on their 1st trip there?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

clenz
January 17th, 2017, 03:05 PM
So this has reached 190 posts because the purple pups didn't get their ass kissed in Frisco on their 1st trip there?

Nope.

Because of one persons belief that the game must always be played in a stadium large enough to house a crowd the likes of which has never been sniffed for an FCS playoff/non-HBCU/Ivy game

Southern Bison
January 17th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Nope.

Because of one persons belief that the game must always be played in a stadium large enough to house a crowd the likes of which has never been sniffed for an FCS playoff/non-HBCU/Ivy game

Oh I know...read the whole thing.

OP probably also believes the Dukes will win 6 in a row, the Russians are to blame for the Pantsuit's loss, & Sears is the hot buy in the stock market...

ASU33
January 17th, 2017, 04:02 PM
The crowd would look huge compared to a UAB crowd.
A city the size of Birmingham has a chance to get excited about the game. If you lucked up and UAT was losing it could be the place to be. Good food everywhere.

Not the best airport but getting there by auto is decent from most places. Birmingham would only be an option if a new facility was build as Legion Field would be a no go.

sadly the UAB stadium has been put on hold. The city of Birmingham now wants a closed air stadium with about 60,000-65,000 seats. Looks like Legion Field is finally going away.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Oh I know...read the whole thing.

OP probably also believes the Dukes will win 6 in a row, the Russians are to blame for the Pantsuit's loss, & Sears is the hot buy in the stock market...

The bison fans only ever LEAVE Fargo for football... there is whole world to explore out there... I'd like to see the game played at state of the art facilitiy. Frisco is not that...I mean dam didn't you get bored of Frisco going 5x... Check out another city other bars.... I don't care if the bartender/strippers act like your friend and you feel like home... You can get that in any city if you tip well enough...

dgtw
January 17th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Your compadres are the ones that limited it to Frisco's time frame.

Using time zones is also kind of iffy. Indiana State, though never been to a title game, is about 12 minutes into the Eastern Time Zone

That also gives the Central Time Zone, Jacksonville State, which is actually directly south of Louisville, which is i Eastern time (and east of a handful of Eastern Time Zone schools).

As a matter of fact, if Finnely Stadium was 16.8 miles SW of where it is, you do realize it would be Central Time Zone, right? Hell, I don't know the exact cut off in TN for Central and Eastern, but I'd bet just a handful of miles straight west gets it into the Central time zone.

You do realize time zones aren't a perfectly straight line, right?

Chattanooga is on Eastern, but just west of it is where Central time starts.

Southern Bison
January 17th, 2017, 04:52 PM
The bison fans only ever LEAVE Fargo for football... there is whole world to explore out there... I'd like to see the game played at state of the art facilitiy. Frisco is not that...I mean dam didn't you get bored of Frisco going 5x... Check out another city other bars.... I don't care if the bartender/strippers act like your friend and you feel like home... You can get that in any city if you tip well enough...
30 days later and you're still a dumbass...

I live in Charlotte, NC

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 04:58 PM
30 days later and you're still a dumbass...

I live in Charlotte, NC

you are an outlier... I'm speaking about bison fans in general that live in Fargo .. 30 days later and the bison still lost the title..

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 05:00 PM

You could hit 10 bars a day and still not hit every bar in the DFW area in your lifetime.

Im sure thats what it takes for you considering your warm and friendly demeanor.

And its obvious you have no clue what the people of Fargo do or what they are about. You might want to educate yourself. Unless you want to keep using the same troll material over and over.

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 05:00 PM

Oh yeah I would love for the FCS national championship game to look like a sad bowl game or a Georgia State game. I believe these kids deserve to have a state of the art experience, and part of that is them having a well filled stadium, not making their achievement feel like it isn't a big deal because fans wanted a little cheaper ticket and it boosts their ego a little to say it's in the same stadium as a pro team. Having played in empty gargantuan stadiums and filled small stadiums, I'll take the filled smaller stadium every time.

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 05:01 PM
you are an outlier... I'm speaking about bison fans in general that live in Fargo .. 30 days later and the bison still lost the title..

So what?

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 05:06 PM
You could hit 10 bars a day and still not hit every bar in the DFW area in your lifetime.

Im sure thats what it takes for you considering your warm and friendly demeanor.

He wouldn't be able to hit ten bars a day, that would put him over his daily 3 fuzzy navel limit, but its cause they're almost all alcohol if you ask him.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Oh yeah I would love for the FCS national championship game to look like a sad bowl game or a Georgia State game. I believe these kids deserve to have a state of the art experience, and part of that is them having a well filled stadium, not making their achievement feel like it isn't a big deal because fans wanted a little cheaper ticket and it boosts their ego a little to say it's in the same stadium as a pro team. Having played in empty gargantuan stadiums and filled small stadiums, I'll take the filled smaller stadium every time.

almost every stadium suggested here has 18-30 k capacity...... so what's the difference with Toyota at 20k...

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 05:09 PM
He wouldn't be able to hit ten bars a day, that would put him over his daily 3 fuzzy navel limit, but its cause they're almost all alcohol if you ask him.

Yeh and when u take one dab you'll be puking your 24 pack of paps while I'm laughing in your face...

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 05:09 PM
almost every stadium suggested here has 18-30 k capacity...... so what's the difference with Toyota at 20k...

The new Georgia dome being "altered" to 30k isn't better. Sure would feel awesome in sure to look up and see 75% of the seats tarped off I bet. Not sure how else you shrink the capacity.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 05:12 PM
The new Georgia dome being "altered" to 30k isn't better. Sure would feel awesome in sure to look up and see 75% of the seats tarped off I bet. Not sure how else you shrink the capacity.

if a mls team finds it acceptable it prolly is... do some research.... it actually is amazing the way they designed it... you won't feel like you're in huge stadium

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hyIN5nsy4ug

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 05:19 PM
I bet it would be unanimous if you asked the entire ndsu football team where they rather play....that's if they ever make it back to the title game.

cx500d
January 17th, 2017, 05:30 PM

Like I said, this is called and fbs bowl game.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Like I said, this is called and fbs bowl game.

except its not... the stadium is converted.. and the players and fans get to expierance a possible once in a lifetime game in One of the best stadiums...most of these kids aren't going to sniff the NFL... think how they would feel in a place like this in a full soccer converted stadium... I mean dam Frisco is a mls stadium too... the one in Atlanta is just 10 times better

Southern Bison
January 17th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Damn boy...your smack is weak as ****.

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 06:19 PM
except its not... the stadium is converted.. and the players and fans get to expierance a possible once in a lifetime game in One of the best stadiums...most of these kids aren't going to sniff the NFL... think how they would feel in a place like this in a full soccer converted stadium... I mean dam Frisco is a mls stadium too... the one in Atlanta is just 10 times better

Oh man I can just feel the excitement building.xcoolx

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Damn boy...your smack is weak as ****.

And you saying 30 days later I'm a dumbass is legendary smack.... this was meant to be a serious topic... you want start talking real smack I'm good with that.But honestly there no reason to. We all know who the champs are...The best team in all the land.. If you want turn it into personal attacks...keep running your mouth I'm sure it will get going

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 06:21 PM
And you saying 30 days later I'm a dumbass is legendary smack.... this was meant to be a serious topic... you want start talking real smack I'm good with that.But honestly there no reason to. We all know who the champs are...The best team in all the land.. If you want turn it into personal attacks...keep running your mouth I'm sure it will get going

Why? Youve been running yours.

IBleedYellow
January 17th, 2017, 06:23 PM
[/B]

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

I'm sure if/when JMU falls off he'll disappear...just like I noticed him to do previously.

Southern Bison
January 17th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

I'm sure if/when JMU falls off he'll disappear...just like I noticed him to do previously.
He disappeared for a long time only to re-emerge from his Mom's basement when his team FINALLY made it to the quarterfinals...

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 06:30 PM
[/B]
Does the Fargo dome visitor locker room still smell like champagne?

Southern Bison
January 17th, 2017, 06:34 PM
I haven't been on here for 30 days...by choice.

You're a classless, petty little **** without any sense of humor. You disparage the JMU name and good reputation that many other Duke fans have worked hard to have on AGS.

Look at how Chattown, NoDak4Ever, & now you are punchlines and their school's other posters disown you clowns.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 06:38 PM
I haven't been on here for 30 days...by choice.

You're a classless, petty little **** without any sense of humor. You disparage the JMU name and good reputation that many other Duke fans have worked hard to have on AGS.

Look at how Chattown, NoDak4Ever, & now you are punchlines and their school's other posters disown you clowns.

Oh you sure it wasn't cause you got ban.... for making personal threats.....been counting down the clock.. ass burning...I don't care about what other people think of or disown what....don't care if you make me a punchline... to me I'll laugh in your face...

cx500d
January 17th, 2017, 06:48 PM

It's just like an fbs bowl game if the stadium is half empty.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 06:53 PM
It's just like an fbs bowl game if the stadium is half empty.

NO it's not.....

The stadium will feel fine... its almost the same as Frisco

cx500d
January 17th, 2017, 07:00 PM
NO it's not.....

The stadium will feel fine... its almost the same as Frisco

Alright, whatever

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Alright, whatever

pretty freaking cool hah?

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 07:20 PM

I'll admit it's cool, for sure. Would be a nice place to watch the game. No place to tailgate it sounds like, which would be a big negative to me, but I don't make these decisions. An important factor in this is that these places bid on hosting, so they have to actually want to have it first, and I doubt that the folks at the Georgia dome really care about the FCS championship game.

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Its in atlanta. So no its not cool.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I'll admit it's cool, for sure. Would be a nice place to watch the game. No place to tailgate it sounds like, which would be a big negative to me, but I don't make these decisions. An important factor in this is that these places bid on hosting, so they have to actually want to have it first, and I doubt that the folks at the Georgia dome really care about the FCS championship game.

you are probably right but there is nothing wrong with dreaming big. The game would have to be moved to a fri night for sure... on the chance falcons hosted a playoff game on that sat..wonder if they could cleanup all the purple streamers by then.I have no clue about tail gating there but I bet they end up knocking down the old Georgia dome for parking lot... so I bet that problem will be fixed...

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 07:28 PM
you are probably right but there is nothing wrong with dreaming big. The game would have to be moved to a fri night for sure... on the chance falcons hosted a playoff game on that sat...I have no clue about tail gating there but I bet they end up knocking down the old Georgia dome for parking lot... so I bet that problem will be fixed...

Now youre moving the game day? LOL Your as bad as SV at UND saying they are going FBS. Keep on dreaming.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Its in atlanta. So no its not cool.
My second choice would be the first post the new stadium in Orlando..

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 07:29 PM
you are probably right but there is nothing wrong with dreaming big. The game would have to be moved to a fri night for sure... on the chance falcons hosted a playoff game on that sat..wonder if they could cleanup all the purple streamers by then.I have no clue about tail gating there but I bet they end up knocking down the old Georgia dome for parking lot... so I bet that problem will be fixed...

I wouldn't bet on them knocking it down, it's really expensive to knock these buildings down.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't bet on them knocking it down, it's really expensive to knock these buildings down.

easily paid for by the 100 dollars they can charge for parking for NFL games.

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 07:32 PM
My second choice would be the first post the new stadium in Orlando..

LOL LOL I would rather go to Fairbanks than Orlando. Tx is just right.

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Now youre moving the game day? LOL Your as bad as SV at UND saying they are going FBS. Keep on dreaming.
When the site changed from chatty to Frisco the game date change 3 weeks.... I don't think changing one night earlier prime time fri night would be a big dif...

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 07:35 PM
When the site changed from chatty to Frisco the game date change 3 weeks.... I don't think changing one night earlier prime time fri night would be a big dif...

Travel dude ---travel

alexale23
January 17th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Travel dude ---travel

I like going to new places man... same city 5 years in a row doesn't sound as fun as it could be... it like the family that rent the same beach house every year for vacation...For me I'll be at a new beach every year

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Does the Fargo dome visitor locker room still smell like champagne?

Smelled like weed from what Ive been told. Guess they swept up a lot of needle and syringes also.

caribbeanhen
January 17th, 2017, 08:04 PM
smelled like a Victory garden is what I heard...

Cocky
January 17th, 2017, 08:09 PM

Ive never had an issue tailgating before a Falcons game.

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 08:12 PM
I like going to new places man... same city 5 years in a row doesn't sound as fun as it could be... it like the family that rent the same beach house every year for vacation...For me I'll be at a new beach every year

You missed the point on that one. Changing the game to friday would knock out alot of folks who would be traveling on friday.

In regards to going to same place 5 years in a row there a huge difference in going to DFW and the same beach house. As a matter of fact I will be in TX in March for a fishing trip and will hit DFW 1-2 times to hit some of the restaurants we havent been to yet. We do that every year also and Im not tired of it.
Too many good places.

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 08:15 PM

xlolx I will bet you anything, literally anything, that JMU won't make it even 4 years in a row. Hell neck year is going to be tough to make it two in a row, almost every team in the top 20 returns their starting qb and then some.

RootinFerDukes
January 17th, 2017, 10:11 PM
I mean if we want the perception of a filled stadium, why not just book a Kansas high school. It doesn't get more central than that.
That way roughly half of the Fcs fan bases can maybe fill it up.

Bearkat04
January 18th, 2017, 12:16 AM
I'd love for the game to be held in San Antonio at the Alamodome. Selfishly I live just north of San Antone in New Braunfels so that would be easy for me. Sadly I don't think it logistically can happen. The US army all American game is held the same day as the fcs championship. If they could do a Friday Saturday deal or somehow work a double header then I think it would be great. The city of San Antonio really supports that game well and would probably help build the fcs brand somehow too.

caribbeanhen
January 18th, 2017, 05:20 AM
keep it in Frisco for a few reasons

don't want the town to overshadow the title game, Frisco allows fans to focus on what there in town for....

also, Heaven forbid they actually put the game in an interesting place and some of the MFVC fans decide not to go back home.....

BadlandsGrizFan
January 18th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Oh you mean like Frisco???

Two great airports...and incase you havent looked at a map of the united states lately...see below. DFW is about as centrally located as you can get. Jesus JMU makes it to one chipper and they start acting like little bitches.

I suppose we could have it in Branson???

http://www.world-guides.com/images/dallas/map1_dallas.jpg

AmsterBison
January 18th, 2017, 09:24 AM
I'll continue to advocate having all 3 title games at the same location and trying to turn it into more of an event. Give Indianapolis a shot for 3 years and see how it works. D2 game Friday night at 7:30, D3 11:00 A.M Saturday morning followed by the FCS Championship at 4:30. Given Indy's accessibility to a large % of colleges in this country and the cities ability to host quality events I think it would work.

The NCAA's headquarters are in Indy which might give something like this a boost. Since the FBS title is not recognized by the NCAA they could use the weekend to really promote their championships.

Works for me. Of course, Indianapolis would have to bid first.

The route from Fargo to Indianapolis doesn't take Bison Nation through Chicago (which is good for everybody) :)

DirtyDukes
January 18th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Which stadium would you play in?

Oh I wasn't suggesting Savannah as a possible NC destination. Impossible to get in and out of reasonably. Just saying it's way nicer than southern cities like Charleston or Nola. Also Citdog I grew up going to Citadel games, my granpda was a 1954 alum, and I love Citadel's campus and stadium. Memories with my gpa in the officer's club are some of my fondest. But Charleston pales in comparison to the Hostess City of the South.

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Oh you mean like Frisco???

Two great airports...and incase you havent looked at a map of the united states lately...see below. DFW is about as centrally located as you can get. Jesus JMU makes it to one chipper and they start acting like little bitches.

I suppose we could have it in Branson???

http://www.world-guides.com/images/dallas/map1_dallas.jpg
Branson is just a stones throw from Springfield, MO....Home of the Missouri State Bears. A potential home I suggested early on in this thread. Serioulsy, it's like 40 minutes south straight south of Springfield, MO

I wasn't throwing stadiums out for ****s and giggles (well, kinda). I actually put thought behind it.

Also, because I'm me, I did do a geo-mid point for every one of those locations. The geographic mid-point of those locations is right on the Oklahoma side of the OK/KS boarder off of HWY 99. Closest town for reference is Whipporwill, OK or Chautauqua, KS. If you want the closest address to the actual mid point, it's right here (https://www.google.com/maps/@36.994836,-96.1359164,14222m/data=!3m1!1e3).

That leaves the closet major airports, in order

Wichita, KS - they do have a stadium and are thinking about football again...though the stadium needs a **** ton of work
Branson, MO - So...Missouri State. I genuinely think they should bid
Kansas City, MO
Dallas Texas

Turns out, Frisco might actually be a pretty damn good location

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 09:51 AM
For those that missed my post making a case for Missouri State....

I think this is the key thing. (I was quoting a post that said "Frisco is more centrally located. Leave it there.")

Centrally located with ease of access and a correctly sized stadium.

Believe it or not I'd make a case that Missouri State should get to host, if there was better ways in/out via air (I've never flown, maybe that's not truly an issue)

Weather shouldn't be too much a factor, and really WGAF?

MSU has dumped millions into upgrading Robert W. Plaster Stadium.
It seats 18K, could be more if the NCAA can get MSU to sell SRO/GA tickets in the endzone
Never have to worry about MSU getting "a home game" in the title gamexlolx

https://missouristate.info/images/buildings/Plaster-Stadium-17987-5068.jpg
http://missouristate.info/images/buildings/Plaster-Stadium-18765-0497.jpg
http://magazine.missouristate.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/story_new-facilities.jpg

I give MSU a ton of ****, but it's a pretty damn nice stadium. It would be logistics around the game that would be the issue

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 18th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Is Missouri State's stadium too small?

Personally, I have enjoyed Frisco all 5 times I have been there. It is a very good venue and area. Some of the stadiums pictured on here are also nice.

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 10:00 AM
The geo-mid point of taking the geo-mid point of the FCS and the geo-mid point of the air ports puts us on eastern edge the Mark Twain National Forest, right where the Mark Twain National Forest and Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park are separated only by HWY 49...For a map reference of where that is click here
(https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6373049,-90.9336791,9.71z)

Even based on that it seems like Dallas is a pretty legit place to hold it.

I suppose Nashville, Memphil, and still Springfield can make a case. Moving it east like that also brings back St. Louis has a domed stadium that can hold whatever the FCS's best match up can throw at it and it can be curtained off.

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Is Missouri State's stadium too small?

Personally, I have enjoyed Frisco all 5 times I have been there. It is a very good venue and area. Some of the stadiums pictured on here are also nice.
It could be...but I can tell you by looking at the historical attendances of FCS title games it's probably pretty damn close and could be managed.

It has just shy of 18,000 fixed seats. That doesn't include the people that could be seated on temp bleachers/SRO in the endzones.

I think it would be relatively easy to get it to 20K. Frisco is 20,500

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 10:07 AM
If you look at this image and look to the left endzone, you'll see a perfect place for temp bleachers to go in. It's already got a bit of a hill there (tough to see from the photo, I'll grant you but can be seen in the other photos I referenced).

It would look a lot like the one end zone in Frisco has with the shorter bleacher area. Could pretty easily scaffold, bleacher, and create that same look as ticket demand shows is necessary.

http://sporturf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/MSU-Football.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 18th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Missouri State does have a really nice stadium from those pictures. I need to get to a Bison game down there.

Looks like they could easily add some endzone seating.

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Missouri State does have a really nice stadium from those pictures. I need to get to a Bison game down there.

Looks like they could easily add some endzone seating.
I love to "poke the Bear"....see what I did there.....when it comes to MSU athletics, but the reality is there athletic facilities across the board are at/near the top of the FCS in every single category/sport.

They just can't figure out how to hire coaches to take advantage of it.

What's ironic/funny is the guy whose name is on that stadium is also the namesake of a new athletic complex going up at the university I'm getting my MA at.

The new Robert W. Plaster athletic complex at Mount Mercy University - an NAIA university with hopes of eventually maybe moving D2

https://www.mtmercy.edu/homefield-complex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-iDOL1f32o

You see a football field with very small bleachers, because we don't currently have football. That is something that is in the process of potentially starting. Initial plans had this project done, with a football team, by this coming fall (or the year after). Well, things happen and it didn't happen and starting a FB team hasn't been decided. It will still be used for track. I think FB still happens, but the "Sisters of Mercy" (it's a catholic school) are hesitant and believe it will diminish education quality and bring in students that would hurt the university image. All seems like hidden racism by a bunch of 60+ year old white nuns. More stands would be added if football is added, and since it's already going to be there for track, it would be easy to throw a football field down in there.