PDA

View Full Version : Perry to Bryant

Go Green
January 1st, 2017, 08:17 AM
Princeton's OC misses out on the Lafayette job, but gets the Bryant HC position.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/5la87l/princeton_oc_james_perry_to_become_bryants_new_hc/

Most Ivy fans expected him to move on from Princeton.

Bogus Megapardus
January 1st, 2017, 11:02 AM
Wait . . . there's a reddit for this stuff? Who knew?

Congrats to Coach Perry and to Bryant. I think Perry's offense is going to make fans' head spin up in Little Rhody.

UNHWildcat18
January 1st, 2017, 01:56 PM
Great hire, very happy for Bryant

ngineer
January 1st, 2017, 06:33 PM
I would expect him to make Bryant a force to be reckoned with.

Go Green
January 1st, 2017, 08:25 PM
I would expect him to make Bryant a force to be reckoned with.

Maybe down the road.

Princeton's head coach shook things up when he first took over and it was a rough beginning. Went 2-18 the first two seasons after inheriting a program that really wasn't all that bad.

By year 3, things started clicking.

Year 4 was an Ivy championship.

Year 7 was a second championship.

But those first two years trying to get things the way he wanted were two of the worst in Princeton history. I loved them! :)

Go...gate
January 2nd, 2017, 03:12 PM
Very glad he finally got his chance. A really good guy.

And yes, Surace's first two years were dreadful. But Hughes did not leave him with much, and some players left the team the first year.

Go Green
January 3rd, 2017, 12:19 PM
. But Hughes did not leave him with much, and some players left the team the first year.

We can debate the first part, but the second part really shows some of the problems of a new coach coming in to shake things up. Some guys didn't want to do things differently and said "eff this." If Princeton were truly awful when Hughes was let go, I'm sure the players would have done anything and everything Surace asked of them. But they really weren't all that bad. They were a middle-of-the-pack Ivy team.

Princeton saw a much more pronounced version of this phenomenon when JTIII left for Georgetown and Joe Scott came in. He was a much more "old school" guy and tightened the screws on the Princeton offense, whereas JTIII allowed his players more freewheeling (relatively speaking) on the court. Given that Princeton was the defending champion when Scott came on board, many players saw zero reason to make any changes and reacted very poorly to Scott. The result was a huge dropoff in performance, including some of Princeton's most embarrassing losses.

To his credit, Surace was able to turn things around before it was too late. Scott, on the other hand, was not able to do so.

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2017, 12:40 PM
Princeton saw a much more pronounced version of this phenomenon when JTIII left for Georgetown and Joe Scott came in. He was a much more "old school" guy and tightened the screws on the Princeton offense, whereas JTIII allowed his players more freewheeling (relatively speaking) on the court. Given that Princeton was the defending champion when Scott came on board, many players saw zero reason to make any changes and reacted very poorly to Scott. The result was a huge dropoff in performance, including some of Princeton's most embarrassing losses.

Scott was reported as one of the finalists for the Georgetown job in 2004. He's now an assistant at Holy Cross.

Sader87
January 3rd, 2017, 11:54 PM
To be fair, Scott was successful (at times) as a head basketball coach at both Air Force and the University of Denver....

Twentysix
January 4th, 2017, 04:57 PM
This thread title sounds like a completed pass.

Go...gate
January 4th, 2017, 08:10 PM
We can debate the first part, but the second part really shows some of the problems of a new coach coming in to shake things up. Some guys didn't want to do things differently and said "eff this." If Princeton were truly awful when Hughes was let go, I'm sure the players would have done anything and everything Surace asked of them. But they really weren't all that bad. They were a middle-of-the-pack Ivy team.

To his credit, Surace was able to turn things around before it was too late. Scott, on the other hand, was not able to do so.

Joe Scott was a good guy and one of the most ardent of the Carril disciples. It was a shame it did not work out for him. I do think he had trouble relating to the players.