PDA

View Full Version : Did coach Huesman lie?

chattownmocs
December 23rd, 2016, 09:53 PM
So Russ Huesman did make it a major point to say that he was going to tell all the UTC commits to stay with UTC. But no sooner does one of them reopen their recruitment, guess who was there to offer him a scholarship to the university of richmond. So did Russ do something shady, or is that just the way it works? Can't blame him for wanting this kid. He is gonna be good but why lie?

Bisonoline
December 23rd, 2016, 10:04 PM
So Russ Huesman did make it a major point to say that he was going to tell all the UTC commits to stay with UTC. But no sooner does one of them reopen their recruitment, guess who was there to offer him a scholarship to the university of richmond. So did Russ do something shady, or is that just the way it works? Can't blame him for wanting this kid. He is gonna be good but why lie?

Every coach basically says that. But it seems there is always a few recruits who jump ship.

Milktruck74
December 23rd, 2016, 10:17 PM
Systems are different....while the kid may be a great recruit, he may not be right for Arth's system...and who knows if a HS kid will ever really amount to much in college....so that said....let him go. we need kids that are bought into the system and it frees up a spot for Tom go get what he wants.

Bisonwinagn
December 24th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Some players will follow the coach. That's the way it works. They may not recruit them directly, but the players can reach out and initiate the conversation which is usually what happens.

Libertine
December 24th, 2016, 12:34 AM
So did Russ do something shady, or is that just the way it works?

It is what it is but it's still a long way from shady. Shady would have been offering him hookers and blow to jump ship.

Situations like this are like a divorce in the family where everyone wants custody. The key to getting through this is to not take any of it personally (because it's not your actual family) and remembering that in just over nine months, regardless of who ends up with the kids, a whole lot of them will still take the field wearing your colors.

reeder
December 24th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Not really surprised, players tend to commit because of a coach and their system.

dgtw
December 24th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Some players will follow the coach. That's the way it works. They may not recruit them directly, but the players can reach out and initiate the conversation which is usually what happens.

I agree. If the players are initiating it, he isn't lying or doing anything shady. It won't be everybody and after this year Russ will just be a memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
December 24th, 2016, 08:22 AM
All accounts of Cooah Huesman's exit were nothing short of graceful. He spent the day on campus talking to his players, going to graduation, and wishing everyone well. Most guys take a job and never look back. I seriously doubt he did anything underhanded.

moc n tn1991
December 24th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I think a lot of of is the uncertainty with the new coach. You bleed blue and gold, and you want everyone to feel the love that you have for your school. Then when a former coach leaves, and a couple commits decide they want to follow, you feel a little betrayed. But we now have to trust the new coach and staff to keep the team at the same level, and bring in the players that will keep you at the level you were used to. It is time to move forward and stay the course.

PaladinFan
December 24th, 2016, 11:19 AM
At the end of the day, hire the right guy and one or two flips in year one won't make that big of a difference down the road. The right coach is far more important to the success of the program than a recruit or two.

ST_Lawson
December 24th, 2016, 04:30 PM
At the end of the day, hire the right guy and one or two flips in year one won't make that big of a difference down the road. The right coach is far more important to the success of the program than a recruit or two.

Or ten (roughly how many we lost to USD when Nielson left last year)

chattownmocs
December 24th, 2016, 05:27 PM
The way I look at it is to just not say you are not going to do something, and then go do it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 24th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Doherty looks like a hell of a prospect.

Who are the other top recruits that we should try to poach?

longtimemocfan
December 25th, 2016, 12:30 PM
I think their is something to be said when you do something you talked about not doing, but from what I've gathered this commitment reconsidered his choice just to evaluate the new coaching regime. It's just one recruit, but still Huesman did something he said he wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

spdram
December 25th, 2016, 03:57 PM
long I agree your word should be your bond. Having said that I have no idea how the contact was initiated, if the kid reached out to Huesman and staff and said I want to follow you to Richmond I would not expect him to turn that down, nor would I look at that as a breaking of his word. I know we are having the same issue on the other end with recruits looking to go to Delaware.

longtimemocfan
December 25th, 2016, 05:16 PM
long I agree your word should be your bond. Having said that I have no idea how the contact was initiated, if the kid reached out to Huesman and staff and said I want to follow you to Richmond I would not expect him to turn that down, nor would I look at that as a breaking of his word. I know we are having the same issue on the other end with recruits looking to go to Delaware.

I know what your saying and really it's kind of a gray area. We can speculate all we want, but we really don't know the what the reason for this kid wanting to reconsider. It does indeed happen with a recruit wanting to follow the coach to another school.

walliver
December 27th, 2016, 03:32 PM
It wasn't just Huesman leaving, it was almost his entire staff. Any "committed" athlete is now looking at a completely different program. Offensive and defensive schemes could be quite different. It is understandable why any potential recruit would re-evaluate his position. I suspect more than a few Chatty recruits have called Huesman or whichever assistant was involved in recruiting that athlete and asked "What's Up?"

I suspect that many, possibly most, potential recruits are picking the coaching staff over the schools. Some pick schools by academics, special programs, geography (CCU), or niche institutions (VMI and El Cid), but most will have a short list of similar institutions and will make their decisions based on personal relationships with recruiters/coaches.

PaladinFan
December 28th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Furman, notably, has hired several new staff members but retained both their recruiting coordinator (Duane Vaughan) as well as a good young recruiter (Brian Bratton).

Granted, we didn't have the mass exodus UTC did, but keeping guys on staff that recruits are familiar with is an important move, I think.

utcfan
December 28th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I'm seeing Mocs might have one AC back, plus Kadeem Wise who had been Director of Football operations. Need to get staff, at least as it stands, announced.

As for RH, I don't know how it went down, maybe kid reached and said he wasn't going to UTC period and wanted to play for RH. So he offered. Happened quick, looks bad. I'll see how it unfolds.

UTC needs to hang on and maybe add to class.

Milktruck74
December 28th, 2016, 05:36 PM
The bulk of FCS recruiting happens late. Lots of kids think auburn and bama are calling, only to find out that they aren't really THAT good.....I think TA will get out there and get what he needs to win ball games.

JMUNJ08
December 28th, 2016, 11:44 PM

Ding ding ding

Houston lost some of our recruits as an FBS scholly opportunity came up when Withers went after his guys on the way out to Texas St. I bet many of them would rather be going for a ring in about a week... or at least be part of a real program...

chattownmocs
December 29th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Who cares if we lose some recruits? I'm wondering why Russ Huesman stands up there in his exit press conference and lies. He didn't say "they can come to richmond if they want." He said he was going to tell them to stick with UTC. So unless UTC pulled their scholarship offer, which I would be shocked by, he shouldn't be going around a week later offering them. I don't appreciate him basically placing the blame on his players for the shortcomings of the program either. You went 3-15 in 1 score games against ranked opponents the last 6 years Russ. That's not because you didn't have good enough talent. That's because you didn't get it done.

I also don't appreciate him oohing and aweing in shock about how intelligent the Richmond players are. You recruited these dumbasses Russ. Even if you win a national title at Richmond it isn't because you couldn't get better players at UTC. You left your Alma mater without finishing the job because of greed. It's ok, just admit it. And you had no intention of not signing the best available players in February either. That's ok too, just don't lie about it.

bluehenbillk
December 29th, 2016, 10:26 AM
It happens everywhere. Rocco is recruiting some Richmond verbals to UD. Same thing happens all over FBS. Until they send in that fax on signing day all recruits are fair game.

BisonTru
December 29th, 2016, 11:17 AM
How many verbals at UTC have decommited and how many have verballed to Richmond?

citdog
December 29th, 2016, 12:05 PM
how many have verballed to Richmond?

https://pauljpark.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/usual-suspects-hes-gone.jpg

Mocs123
December 29th, 2016, 12:49 PM
As far as I know we have lost 1 verbal and he then committed to Richmond.

Bisonator
December 29th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Pftt could have been worse. Has he offered other recruits yet? Any missing files? Did he try to take every assistant with him..........xcoffeex

moc n tn1991
December 29th, 2016, 01:03 PM
I am not worried about that which is out of my control, but focus on that which I can control.

FUBeAR
December 29th, 2016, 02:05 PM
https://pauljpark.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/usual-suspects-hes-gone.jpg

OKy sir, So say ing only The Usual Suspects have flipped from Chatt to Richmond, then?

Spider from the North
December 29th, 2016, 08:12 PM
According to the Richmond board, no one previously committed to UTC has committed to Richmond. One of your commits de-committed and was subsequently offered by Richmond, but he has not committed and is looking at other schools as well.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 29th, 2016, 10:55 PM

Which one?