PDA

View Full Version : NCAA is a Joke

penguinpower
December 21st, 2016, 04:45 AM
Why would you hold the FCS national championship game at a soccer stadium that is under construction? Why can't they move it? They could have moved it to a large number of other stadiums this time of year. This is ridiculous. Someone is getting their pocket lined.

JSUSoutherner
December 21st, 2016, 05:37 AM
You're now just figuring out the NCAA is a idiotic group of greedy fat cats?

ofhs93
December 21st, 2016, 07:36 AM
Why would you hold the FCS national championship game at a soccer stadium that is under construction? Why can't they move it? They could have moved it to a large number of other stadiums this time of year. This is ridiculous. Someone is getting their pocket lined.

Not sure what difference it makes for the Youngstown faithful....YSU sent 3000 of their allotted 4000 tickets back to the NCAA.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 21st, 2016, 07:43 AM
That was not the YSU faithful that sent back the allotment. No need to kick the wounded. YSU fans got screwed.

Am I happy JMU is the benefactor? Yes. Do I feel bad for YSU fans not in that super-high giving category that could not get tickets through their home school? Yes, a major injustice to your base fans.

chattownmocs
December 21st, 2016, 07:47 AM
The game should have never left Chattanooga and I hope the attendance number is worse that a UTC home game.

dewey
December 21st, 2016, 07:51 AM

The first thing you need to remember is that the NCAA does not care about the FCS.

Dewey

ASU33
December 21st, 2016, 08:06 AM
The first thing you need to remember is that the NCAA does not care about the FCS.

Dewey

Exactly!

Drblankstare
December 21st, 2016, 08:16 AM

As a wise man once said "the answer to all your questions, is money".

mmiller_34
December 21st, 2016, 08:17 AM
That was not the YSU faithful that sent back the allotment. No need to kick the wounded. YSU fans got screwed.

Am I happy JMU is the benefactor? Yes. Do I feel bad for YSU fans not in that super-high giving category that could not get tickets through their home school? Yes, a major injustice to your base fans.

What happened?

ofhs93
December 21st, 2016, 08:21 AM

This is true...found that out after reading some of the other threads...talk about their own athletic Dept crapping all over their fan base...sheesh...Good for JMU though I suppose....there SHOULD be a major backlash at YSU over this...curious to see if anything shakes out.

ofhs93
December 21st, 2016, 08:32 AM
What happened?

Apparently the YSU athletic dept was afraid they were going to be stuck with unsold tickets due to their less than expected turnout for their 2 home playoff games....so instead of holding their allotted 4000 tickets from the NCAA they handed 3000 of them back and only allowed STH with a minimum donor level of $5k to have access to purchasing the remaining 1000 tickets. The other 3000 were sent back to the NCAA who turned around and allotted them to JMU...who turned around and sold them within hours....so JMU now has now sold their 7000 allotted seats and YSU only kept 1000.

ccd494
December 21st, 2016, 08:55 AM
FCS fans are pissed their championship game is played on a soccer field.

NCAA soccer fans/coaches/players are pissed the College Cup was played on a field Texas Southern football had absolutely destroyed and made unplayable.

I think the solution is MLS teams telling football teams that want to play in their stadiums to pound sand.

Milktruck74
December 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM
FCS fans are pissed their championship game is played on a soccer field.

NCAA soccer fans/coaches/players are pissed the College Cup was played on a field Texas Southern football had absolutely destroyed and made unplayable.

I think the solution is MLS teams telling football teams that want to play in their stadiums to pound sand.

The only issue with your statement is none of the MLS team actually OWN the stadiums they play in....so they are not THEIR stadiums. And the municipality/corporations that do own them, have budgets to meet....so its all about the $$$.

CID1990
December 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM

Dewey

This.

If they did, the entire field would be seeded and we wouldn't have a SC state playoffs in the first and second round every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2016, 09:29 AM
I will say that tickets are cheaper on the secondary market this year than they've been for the last 5.... so there's that. And that's with the NCAA doubling the face value.

ccd494
December 21st, 2016, 09:34 AM
The only issue with your statement is none of the MLS team actually OWN the stadiums they play in....so they are not THEIR stadiums. And the municipality/corporations that do own them, have budgets to meet....so its all about the $$$.

True. Another argument for rich assholes building their own stadiums without public money.

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2016, 09:36 AM
People can **** on it being a soccer stadium all they want to but it's a great venue to watch a football game. Excellent sight lines, new facility, ample parking. I was a little disgusted too when I heard they were taking out the whole end zone for seating this year when tickets went on sale in August but the venue itself, sans the construction, fits the FCS about perfectly I'd say.

TheRevSFA
December 21st, 2016, 09:49 AM
People can **** on it being a soccer stadium all they want to but it's a great venue to watch a football game. Excellent sight lines, new facility, ample parking. I was a little disgusted too when I heard they were taking out the whole end zone for seating this year when tickets went on sale in August but the venue itself, sans the construction, fits the FCS about perfectly I'd say.

Agree 100 percent. Also with it being in Frisco, it's easy to fly in and out of Dallas, making logistics for team much easier.

Quit yer bitching people.

Sycamore62
December 21st, 2016, 09:52 AM
Id like to see the NC game on turf and preferably in a dome. weather/turf variables are cute to talk about but I dont like to see one team have an advantage because Carl Spackler couldnt get the chinch bugs and manganese under control.

BirdFan 4Life
December 21st, 2016, 10:23 AM

Agreed, the stadium and the ample tailgate lots make for a great atmosphere leading up to and for the game. The only gripe you could maybe have is that a 30,000 seat stadium would help with the ticket demand depending what teams make it.

This year will be a good way to judge how much demand is really out there when NDSU isn't guaranteeing 15,000+ people at the game. I'm excited to be going as a neutral fan, hopefully it's a great game!

Hammerhead
December 21st, 2016, 10:27 AM
If only there was a domed stadium with a seating capacity similar to the current championship venue. :)

Id like to see the NC game on turf and preferably in a dome. weather/turf variables are cute to talk about but I dont like to see one team have an advantage because Carl Spackler couldnt get the chinch bugs and manganese under control.

walliver
December 21st, 2016, 10:46 AM
If only there was a domed stadium with a seating capacity similar to the current championship venue. :)
I suspect not a lot of fans want to travel to the great white north in the middle of winter (I don't think the game in Idaho or Washington were well attended).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship

Sycamore62
December 21st, 2016, 10:51 AM

agreed. maybe you could move yours to a place that isnt more likely to have a heat index rather than a wind chill

Panther88
December 21st, 2016, 10:54 AM

The "Texas Star" just down the road sits 12K, domed, covered, and very very nice facilities (HQ D-cowboys).

UNIFanSince1983
December 21st, 2016, 11:02 AM
The "Texas Star" just down the road sits 12K, domed, covered, and very very nice facilities (HQ D-cowboys).

Looks very very nice. 12K might be a little low, and it is used as a HS stadium so that doesn't help our case. It literally looks like the generic Dome they used for FCS schools in the old NCAA Football games. The whole area around it and attached Hotel would certainly make things nice too. I am in favor.

http://thumbnails.cbsig.net/CBS_Production_MaxPreps_VMS/155/975/ford.jpg

NDB
December 21st, 2016, 11:09 AM
The entire event kicks ass. Please provide feedback after you've attended a game at Toyota Stadium.

dewey
December 21st, 2016, 11:11 AM

Agreed with everything PC said. Great place to watch a game (even better after a win I would imagine).

This.

If they did, the entire field would be seeded and we wouldn't have a SC state playoffs in the first and second round every year.

^^^^^^This right here is exactly right!

Dewey

Bisonator
December 21st, 2016, 11:15 AM
The Fargo Dome perhaps?:D

Guess I should have kept reading before posting looks like the FFD has been ruled out. xlolx

Pinnum
December 21st, 2016, 11:21 AM

Dewey

The NCAA makes no money off FBS football.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 21st, 2016, 11:33 AM
Frisco is a logistically perfect city to have the championship, with two major airports, tons of shopping, tons of lodging, good weather.

The stadium is the perfect size for the chipper, the ultimate test would be a NDSU vs Montana chipper, it would be bursting at the seams, good for both NCAA and FCS.

The stadium upgrades largely have to do with the FCS championship and the extended contract to stay in Frisco. Bigger brand new football locker rooms, an eventual hotel connected to the stadium, a downtown developing around the stadium. Its the perfect environment.

As I've said so so so so many times, but everyone refuses to listen or beleive, Frisco is an extremely well run city, and its city leaders do an amazing job with things like this. If something is good for the city, they will keep it here, which they are doing. Every detail is taken into consideration and every box checked. GET USED TO IT BEING IN FRISCO......IT WILL BE HERE FOR A LONG LONG LONG TIME!

They beat out the surrounding cities for the Dallas Cowboys HQ....they can sure as hell beat out cities for the FCS chipper.

BisonFanAnn
December 21st, 2016, 11:51 AM
I've only been to Frisco once (last year), but I thought the venue was terrific. No bad seats, decent video boards. The concessions were unimpressive, but we filled up in the tailgate lot before the game. We were in a hotel within walking distance, and apparently there is a new hotel close by - Frisco is definitely trying to make it easy for us to have a good experience there.

The only big down side was the condition of the field a few years ago - it apparently froze a few weeks before the game,a nd they tried to re-sod, which didn't take (if I recall correctly). But the other 4 years the Bison have played there the field was in great shape.

It is more or less centrally located, within a long day's drive from most of the country (we drove from Grand Forks). Convenient to DFW (most of our crew flew in). The weather was decent for January - 50°, which no one who watched the YSU at EWU game should complain about!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2016, 12:33 PM
Apparently the YSU athletic dept was afraid they were going to be stuck with unsold tickets due to their less than expected turnout for their 2 home playoff games....so instead of holding their allotted 4000 tickets from the NCAA they handed 3000 of them back and only allowed STH with a minimum donor level of $5k to have access to purchasing the remaining 1000 tickets. The other 3000 were sent back to the NCAA who turned around and allotted them to JMU...who turned around and sold them within hours....so JMU now has now sold their 7000 allotted seats and YSU only kept 1000.

The YSU athletic department is entirely to blame.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/20/ysu-playoff-tickets-went-only-loge-and-penguin-clu/

YSU announced Tuesday the university sold out its allotment of tickets. YSU officials are now directing fans to www.NCAA.com, where prices range from $65-$1,000 per seat in a secondary marketplace after general public tickets sold out.

YSU was required to put a bid in for tickets right after their second-round win over Jacksonville State on Dec. 3 said YSU Sports Information Director Trevor Parks. YSU set aside $75,000 for the bid, which turned into 1,000 seats, which went quickly.

If YSU would have purchased seats that didn’t sell, the school would have been on the hook for them financially.

Basically, YSU didn't plan to be in the championship game, because they put in a lowball bid for tickets that only equated to 1,000 tickets. Now it's biting them in the ass.

BisonTru
December 21st, 2016, 01:19 PM
This would be a much bigger deal if JMU and NDSU were in the final. If JMU fans are correct and they have 10K that want to go, and I know from our past 5 runs we'd have at least 15K that would want to go. Add in a 1K of other fans, and there would be 10K fans that would like to go, but would need to be priced out of tickets on the secondary market.

Right now you can buy tickets for under a $100. If you're willing to spend the money on hotels, flights, food/drink, I don't see how a $100 ticket cost stops you from making the trip. Also, patience will be rewarded in the ticket market. Wait till after the first of the year, and I bet ticket prices are lower.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2016, 01:45 PM
The YSU athletic department is entirely to blame.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/20/ysu-playoff-tickets-went-only-loge-and-penguin-clu/

Basically, YSU didn't plan to be in the championship game, because they put in a lowball bid for tickets that only equated to 1,000 tickets. Now it's biting them in the ass.

Actually YSU had confidence in making it to the NC game. The SID figured he's getting <5000k per game in Y-town for local folks needing to travel a few miles to the Ice Castle,,, so about 1230 miles to Texas ='s 1000 tickets xeyebrowx xdrunkyx

Hoboken Dukes
December 21st, 2016, 01:46 PM
I don't understand the YSU logic here. You are only on the hook for those tickets if you make the final. You're really that out of touch with the demand from your fanbase that you misfire by 3k tickets? Look, most schools have an expectation that the home playoff games may be less attended due to short planning time and the weather (not to mention the Friday night game). But you've GOT to know that with 3 weeks to plan a trip plus the allure of going for a 'ship that you're going to have demand to meet 4k tickets. Although, judging from how YSU's ticketing operation seems to be stuck in 1998, it's quite possible they were concerned they couldn't physically process the 4k allotment.

Regardless, as stated before, very proud of how on point JMU has been throughout this run.

Bisonoline
December 21st, 2016, 01:50 PM

You have to remember that the main focus of the NCAA for this game is to sell ALL of the tickets. Thats it. They still get there money regarless of the number of seats available. Thats why the prices went from 45.00 last year to 75.00 this year.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2016, 01:52 PM
I don't understand the YSU logic here. You are only on the hook for those tickets if you make the final. You're really that out of touch with the demand from your fanbase that you misfire by 3k tickets? Look, most schools have an expectation that the home playoff games may be less attended due to short planning time and the weather (not to mention the Friday night game). But you've GOT to know that with 3 weeks to plan a trip plus the allure of going for a 'ship that you're going to have demand to meet 4k tickets. Although, judging from how YSU's ticketing operation seems to be stuck in 1998, it's quite possible they were concerned they couldn't physically process the 4k allotment.

Regardless, as stated before, very proud of how on point JMU has been throughout this run.

Join the club. YSU is run by a bunch of homers from the valley who only care about $$ and their boosters/self's xsalutex

IBleedYellow
December 21st, 2016, 02:18 PM
Frisco is a logistically perfect city to have the championship, with two major airports, tons of shopping, tons of lodging, good weather.

The stadium is the perfect size for the chipper, the ultimate test would be a NDSU vs Montana chipper, it would be bursting at the seams, good for both NCAA and FCS.

The stadium upgrades largely have to do with the FCS championship and the extended contract to stay in Frisco. Bigger brand new football locker rooms, an eventual hotel connected to the stadium, a downtown developing around the stadium. Its the perfect environment.

As I've said so so so so many times, but everyone refuses to listen or beleive, Frisco is an extremely well run city, and its city leaders do an amazing job with things like this. If something is good for the city, they will keep it here, which they are doing. Every detail is taken into consideration and every box checked. GET USED TO IT BEING IN FRISCO......IT WILL BE HERE FOR A LONG LONG LONG TIME!

They beat out the surrounding cities for the Dallas Cowboys HQ....they can sure as hell beat out cities for the FCS chipper.

BUT THEY TREAT NDSU FANS DIFFERENT!! OUTRAGE!! ANYWHERE BUT FRISCO!!! STUPID HOMERS!

jmufan999
December 21st, 2016, 02:42 PM
I don't mind having the game in a soccer stadium, but if we're going to go to a warmer climate, why not do it right and play the game in Miami? most teams are going to have an expensive plane flight regardless, let's go the whole way and get all tropical up in this mo fo.

TheRevSFA
December 21st, 2016, 03:22 PM
I don't mind having the game in a soccer stadium, but if we're going to go to a warmer climate, why not do it right and play the game in Miami? most teams are going to have an expensive plane flight regardless, let's go the whole way and get all tropical up in this mo fo.

Logistics

DFW is a hub for American Airlines (Headquarters, actually), Southwest Airlines is at Love Field. It's centrally located in the USA and is not more than a four hour plane flight for teams/fans etc

Miami would be a much higher cost...

BisonFanAnn
December 21st, 2016, 03:34 PM

Centrally located is a big factor. I didn't hesitate to drive to Frisco last year, and planned to do it again this year. The additional time and money to get to FL would eliminate about half our group. Judging by the number of Bison fans we saw on the road last year, we're not the only ones.

Bisonoline
December 21st, 2016, 05:34 PM

Hmmmm I went to the Orange Bowl and it was 32 degrees at kick off.

I have no desire to drive to Fla again. TX? Yep. I like the people and restaurants there.

NDSUtk
December 21st, 2016, 07:41 PM
Also have to have a group willing to bid on hosting it. Not sure we ever saw a list last time it was out for bid. A quick Google isn't showing me anything. I see when they won it in 2010 it said there were several cities but didn't list them

Daytripper
December 21st, 2016, 07:56 PM
The only people complaining are the people who have never been to the natty if Frisco. It's a great location and a great venue. And we Texas folk are damn friendly and hospitable!

Bisonoline
December 21st, 2016, 08:00 PM
The only people complaining are the people who have never been to the natty if Frisco. It's a great location and a great venue. And we Texas folk are damn friendly and hospitable!

I love it down there. Except when its hot. I spend a month in TX during the spring.

TheRevSFA
December 21st, 2016, 08:29 PM
I love it down there. Except when its hot. I spend a month in TX during the spring.

If spring gets you, summer will **** you up

Bisonoline
December 21st, 2016, 08:34 PM
We get there around the middle of March and leave after the first week in April. Last couple of years its gotten pretty warm in April. I ve fished down there numerous times in May, june and july. Brutal.

cx500d
December 21st, 2016, 10:11 PM

It was a great venue for the previous years. Not a bad seat anywhere. It will be interesting what it will be like next year when the construction is done. Easy to get to, they don't rake you ever the coals like they would at jerry jones world. You can get direct flights to dfw from almost anywhere. Can't say that about Chattanooga.

TheRevSFA
December 22nd, 2016, 05:42 AM
We get there around the middle of March and leave after the first week in April. Last couple of years its gotten pretty warm in April. I ve fished down there numerous times in May, june and july. Brutal.

It really is. Central Texas is the best for summer. It's 100 degrees but dry heat.

I avoid fishing and the beach from June-sept. Tourists....

Cocky
December 22nd, 2016, 07:25 AM
Most probably already know my feeling on the host Frisco.

ValleyTalk
December 22nd, 2016, 07:29 AM
Look at my last post on the natty thread and read this one. It will all make sense to all of you lol.

ysubigred
December 22nd, 2016, 07:33 AM
Look at my last post on the natty thread and read this one. It will all make sense to all of you lol.

If the NCAA would hold the championship game in the center of the 1FCS universe it would be in?

Louisville KY xthumbsupx

Don't believe me ask Clenz