PDA

View Full Version : Elon's Rich Skrosky resigns

Libertine
December 20th, 2016, 06:06 PM
ELON, N.C. – Elon University head football coach Rich Skrosky (http://elonphoenix.com/coaches.aspx?rc=556) has resigned his position to accept a coaching job at Florida International University.

http://elonphoenix.com/news/2016/12/20/skrosky-resigns-as-elon-head-football-coach.aspx

Skrosky was 7-27 in three seasons at Elon.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 20th, 2016, 06:09 PM
I wonder if The Phoenix call Danny Rocco to see if Delaware is lacking vision yet.

superman7515
December 20th, 2016, 06:16 PM
The man is a master of failing up.

ASU33
December 20th, 2016, 07:03 PM
I thought this would've happened sooner.

UNHWildcat18
December 20th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I wish Elon stayed in the Socon.

catamount man
December 20th, 2016, 08:08 PM

We don't.

ZableNoise
December 20th, 2016, 08:11 PM
This x1000000

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

UNHWildcat18
December 20th, 2016, 08:21 PM
This x1000000

Don't get me wrong, beautiful stadium and good school from what I've heard but, nothing in the last 15 years in terms of play warranted them entrance to CAA football. It's the damn CAA conference having to give them a football bid with their all sports invite.

catamount man
December 20th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, beautiful stadium and good school from what I've heard but, nothing in the last 15 years in terms of play warranted them entrance to CAA football. It's the damn CAA conference having to give them a football bid with their all sports invite.

Elon was too "high class" for the Southern Conference or at least that is what they told us. Western Carolina beating them 27-24 in OT in 2013 to end a 30 game conference losing streak will be my all time favorite Elon memory.

ZableNoise
December 20th, 2016, 08:36 PM

Why? Because we wanted all their sports? Elon is garbage across the board. It's embarrassing to have to play them. It's more embarrassing to lose to them. It's most embarrassing to lose to them 27 to ****ing 10

Mocs123
December 20th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Elon had a few years where they were really good when they had Lembo coaching and Scott Riddle throwing. They have really gone downhill since then.

That being said, good riddance, I hope they enjoy the CAA. I enjoy watching Elon and College of Charleston BB struggle.

superman7515
December 20th, 2016, 08:59 PM
https://media.makeameme.org/created/remember-when-the-ola6re.jpg

UNHWildcat18
December 20th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Why? Because we wanted all their sports? Elon is garbage across the board. It's embarrassing to have to play them. It's more embarrassing to lose to them. It's most embarrassing to lose to them 27 to ****ing 10

https://media.makeameme.org/created/remember-when-the-ola6re.jpg nice haha. Hey since UD is changing things around so much you can always come home to the AE :)

superman7515
December 20th, 2016, 09:15 PM
nice haha. Hey since UD is changing things around so much you can always come home to the AE :)

I feel like Sader... To think we turned down the A10 to play these mofo's right here...

http://www.elonpendulum.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/USE-THIS-ONE.jpg

ZableNoise
December 20th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Their basketball arena has venetian blinds. And that's because it's not an arena, it's just like a room with a basketball court in it.

Gangtackle11
December 20th, 2016, 09:55 PM
They need to pick it up. The campus is a pretty place, but they are Rhody of the south so far in football.

The Cats
December 20th, 2016, 10:02 PM

The SoCon does not return those sentiments......

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 01:39 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder849/500x/74133849.jpg

reeder
December 21st, 2016, 02:55 AM
Maybe the Offensive Coordinator @FIU? Looks like their first choice, Dan Hawkins, accepted the HC job at UC Davis.

fc97
December 21st, 2016, 06:42 AM
I love the bitterness of the western fans. I guess beating you in D-II and beating you the most of any school in DI has to make you bitter.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk

Mattymc727
December 21st, 2016, 07:31 AM
Werent they a playoff team like 6 yrs a go? At least they were winning more recently than URI...

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 08:04 AM
Their basketball arena has venetian blinds. And that's because it's not an arena, it's just like a room with a basketball court in it.

seems like your a little bitter about the loss this year. BTW not that you care but our new arena will be mid pack in size.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/20160612/home-in-two-years-elon-measures-timeline-on-construction-of-new-arena

ZableNoise
December 21st, 2016, 08:08 AM
seems like your a little bitter about the loss this year. BTW not that you care but our new arena will be mid pack in size.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/20160612/home-in-two-years-elon-measures-timeline-on-construction-of-new-arena
Perpetually bitter. But I'm glad to see you guys get a new arena

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 08:11 AM
I love the bitterness of the western fans. I guess beating you in D-II and beating you the most of any school in DI has to make you bitter.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk

Isn't western the Garbage of the SoCon. Nothing against the the SoCon they are a great conf and I miss our time there with all the close travel games. But for many years WCU would prostitute themselves to there Big Daddy FBS schools just to make a little money and get there backsides tore up.

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 08:12 AM
Perpetually bitter. But I'm glad to see you guys get a new arena

I only give yall a hard time since my aunt and uncle and their two boys went there.

Mocs123
December 21st, 2016, 08:25 AM
Elon was ranked as high as #5 in the country not that long ago. Things went down after Riddle graduated then Lembo left and they never recovered.

Libertine
December 21st, 2016, 08:28 AM
Werent they a playoff team like 6 yrs a go? At least they were winning more recently than URI...

2009. A year later, Pete Lembo blew town for the green-ish pastures of Ball State.

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 08:32 AM
You are right, Lembo saw the writing when he didnt have a upcoming star QB and left town. Our next Coach destroyed the program and Skrosky just couldn't dig us out of the hole that was left for him.

EU2000
December 21st, 2016, 08:51 AM
The SoCon does not return those sentiments......

Wait, wait.....WCU fans talking smack?

If I were a WCU fan, I wouldn't miss a team that owns the overall series record and is 7-1 in the last 8 meetings. I too would be happy to have that kind of dominance against my team out of the conference. xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 09:09 AM
Wait, wait.....WCU fans talking smack?

If I were a WCU fan, I wouldn't miss a team that owns the overall series record and is 7-1 in the last 8 meetings. I too would be happy to have that kind of dominance against my team out of the conference. xthumbsupx

Fair enough. There are AGS Posters representing all SoCon Teams. Not too many from ETSU yet, but...anyway...let's let all of the SoCon posters (other than WCU peeps - since EU2000 has 'called them out' in his Post #1) who miss the Once-Fightin' Christians speak up in this thread. Tell everyone what you miss most about them.

I'll start...

EU2000
December 21st, 2016, 09:24 AM
Fair enough. There are AGS Posters representing all SoCon Teams. Not too many from ETSU yet, but...anyway...let's let all of the SoCon posters (other than WCU peeps - since EU2000 has 'called them out' in his Post #1) who miss the Once-Fightin' Christians speak up in this thread. Tell everyone what you miss most about them.

I'll start...

Awe, you know you miss Elon, but you probably don't miss us this much.....

Records against FU:
5-1 in last 6 meetings in football
11-4 against Furman in men's basketball
Own the series in baseball
15-11 series record in women's basketball

Now you do own us in men's tennis and have a 1 game series lead in men's soccer.

Cheers though.....all in good fun! Don't get too bent out of shape :)

phoenix3
December 21st, 2016, 09:55 AM

I know you love our Alumni Gym. But we'll be playing in the Schar Center in 2018. Here's the architects video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9rgsxp_KQ

Cheers!

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 10:05 AM
Awe, you know you miss Elon, but you probably don't miss us this much.....

Records against FU:
5-1 in last 6 meetings in football
11-4 against Furman in men's basketball
Own the series in baseball
15-11 series record in women's basketball

Now you do own us in men's tennis and have a 1 game series lead in men's soccer.

Cheers though.....all in good fun! Don't get too bent out of shape :)

2016 FURMAN PALADINS FOOTBALL - SERIES RESULTS
Opponent...G.... W......L.....T.........H..........A......First Game
Elon.........17....11......6.....0........8-4.......3-2.....33-0, 1920

...AND, although Mercer has never played the Once-Fightin' Christians in Football (the only sport I really care about), there is this...

LAMB VERSUS ALL OPPONENTS
Opponent Overall Pct.
Elon 6-3 .667

...now please go back to enjoying whatever it is that you enjoy there between the sophisticated urban metropoles of Burlington and Gibsonville.
Or go argue with a Rhode Island fan about whose Football Team is worse.
Or plan your next 981 mile Road Trip to Orono, ME to play a school with so much in common with E*Loan.

I have SOUTHERN Conference things to ponder. :D

Thumper 76
December 21st, 2016, 10:07 AM
I'm just stunned that Elon fans have the gumption to talk smack. That's like Misery State fans talking smack. Except Misery State would whoop the **** out of Elon xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 10:10 AM
Well the smack started with WCU which ... well no need to say more

EU2000
December 21st, 2016, 10:27 AM
2016 FURMAN PALADINS FOOTBALL - SERIES RESULTS
Opponent...G.... W......L.....T.........H..........A......First Game
Elon.........17....11......6.....0........8-4.......3-2.....33-0, 1920

...AND, although Mercer has never played the Once-Fightin' Christians in Football (the only sport I really care about), there is this...

LAMB VERSUS ALL OPPONENTS
Opponent Overall Pct.
Elon 6-3 .667

...now please go back to enjoying whatever it is that you enjoy there between the sophisticated urban metropoles of Burlington and Gibsonville.
Or go argue with a Rhode Island fan about whose Football Team is worse.
Or plan your next 981 mile Road Trip to Orono, ME to play a school with so much in common with E*Loan.

I have SOUTHERN Conference things to ponder. :D

Well, you do have us on the series record. There were some abysmal games early in our D-I tenure, well, after the 24-22 win in '99. Do you remember the epic monsoon beat down from '02 I believe? Ya'll should've scored 100 in that game! xthumbsupx

But still though, WCU fans have no room to talk smack about anyone. They're football team is something like 150 games under .500 all time. Elon would have to go 0-11 for something like the next 5-6 years to fall under .500 all time. At the moment, that is a possibility :)

Cheers!

EU2000
December 21st, 2016, 10:31 AM
***Their*** football team.....where's the dang edit button? Dang that's going to but the ever living crap out of me......

walliver
December 21st, 2016, 10:36 AM
Elon never really seemed to fit in the SoCon and never really had any rivals in the conference (although there was a lot on online hate shared with Appy over some events dating back to both schools NAIA days). The Phoenix always seemed to identify more with the mid-Atlantic region than the South.

I suspect few SoCon fans miss them. They brought good baseball, and usually decent basketball, but other than a few years with Scott Riddle they were never a factor in football. Very few fans hated them, and it was really more of a case of indifference. During his last year or two, Lembo had some difficulty controlling a few of the socially borderline players he recruited, and that caused a few issues, but that was quickly forgotten.

And we don't miss the "College of Knowledge" either. Thank you CAA.

kdinva
December 21st, 2016, 11:02 AM
Elon never really seemed to fit in the SoCon......

Funny and/or ironic: When VMI moved from SoCon to Big South, Elon did same in reverse. When VMI moved back to the SoCon, Elon moved to CAA.....xdontknowx

CID1990
December 21st, 2016, 11:04 AM
Funny and/or ironic: When VMI moved from SoCon to Big South, Elon did same in reverse. When VMI moved back to the SoCon, Elon moved to CAA.....xdontknowx

VMI never should have left

Elon never should have joined

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kdinva
December 21st, 2016, 11:22 AM

fortunately the two gentlemen who made that decision (2001) have both since retired....

Libertine
December 21st, 2016, 11:40 AM
You are right, Lembo saw the writing when he didnt have a upcoming star QB and left town. Our next Coach destroyed the program and Skrosky just couldn't dig us out of the hole that was left for him.

Not trying to smack here BUT Skrosky won 3 fewer games than Swepson in the same number of games. Nobody every got out of a hole by digging deeper.

Sitting Bull
December 21st, 2016, 11:42 AM
Charleston and Elon were excellent adds for the CAA. Their stars are rising, academically and with sports.

Really don't care if the Southern misses them or not (though I seem to remember the SoCon commissioner having a hissy fit when Elon announced) - they are just a better fit given the way demographics have changed. Both schools pull in a fair number of kids now from the Northeast which is why they both had interest, along with an overall stronger sports position.

Same with the CAA football-only group. Both schools were added to bolster the all sports members and the conference overall. When you look at the schools the America East have added recently - and those on their "watch list" - it's no wonder the the CAA looked south for a few new members.

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 12:04 PM
Not trying to smack here BUT Skrosky won 3 fewer games than Swepson in the same number of games. Nobody every got out of a hole by digging deeper.

Difference is swepson had somewhere to start. winning 5 his first year. He still had lembo's guys just no Riddle. As he continued to burn connections he went down hill, which left Skorsky with nothing

citdog
December 21st, 2016, 12:06 PM
NOBODY complained when y'all took out our trash.

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 12:14 PM
You gave us seagraves who did decent during our transition, with a 9-2 record our first D1 Season. ETSU gave us worse, in Paul Hamilton

KPSUL
December 21st, 2016, 02:07 PM
I don't get all the hate for Elon. An excellent school, nice campus and quality people during my one visit down there. Clearly the CAA knew they weren't pulling in a perennial football powerhouse when they joined the conference. There is lot to said for gaining a conference member that is likely to provide some long term stability.

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 02:14 PM
KPSUL I can answer parts of your Questions. WCU we owned them and they desperately want to be like App who hated us, Citdog- too many of our students reside above the mason Dixon, W&M - We killed there season this year..... Just to add a little humor here

CSU18
December 21st, 2016, 02:38 PM
I think I can expand on this a little as well. I live about 5 minutes from the Elon campus, which is hands down one of the prettiest on the east coast. Elon wanted out of the Big South (which they could never win), because 1. They didn't see the Big South as a conference that would ever evolve into anything and 2. Felt that they were comparable academically to some of the other schools in the SoCon at the time. When App left, they were scared of what would become of the SoCon and looked elsewhere. Being that probably 90% of their student population is from Maryland and above, they saw the CAA as a good fit athletically, academically, as well as logistically given their student population.

Elon was a top ten team 8-10 years ago. Lembo left, Swepson came in. As was mentioned earlier, Swepson did a horrible job from a PR standpoint. This rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Not only were his PR skills terrible, he recruited horribly. When Skroskt came in (who I think is a great football coach - maybe not a head coach) the cubbard was bare. He was honestly on the verge of getting things moving in the right direction.

Elon's biggest hurdle at this point is their admission standards. If a student-athlete couldn't get in the school on his/her own, the university makes no exceptions just because they're an athlete. Several years ago, they wouldn't allow a basketball transfer in from a P5 school for this very reason.

The Cats
December 21st, 2016, 02:45 PM
WCU we owned them and they desperately want to be like App who hated us....

Did you say "owned" ?

now Appy State owned us, I've got to admit. But I hardly think a 24-17-2 record would qualify as owning someone........

the records against Elon in the big three overall.....

Football
Elon .......overall record: 17-24-2 ......... first game: 1933 ......last game: 2013

Basketball: overall record: 40-46
Conference: 11-11
Home: 26-20
Away: 10-24
Neutral: 4-2

Baseball
overall record: 21-24 last played: 2014 W–2

EU2000
December 21st, 2016, 02:58 PM
Did you say "owned" ?

now Appy State owned us, I've got to admit. But I hardly think a 24-17-2 record would qualify as owning someone........

the records against Elon in the big three overall.....

Football
Elon .......overall record: 17-24-2 ......... first game: 1933 ......last game: 2013

Basketball: overall record:40-46
Conference: 11-11
Home: 26-20
Away: 10-24
Neutral: 4-2

Baseball
overall record: 21-24 last played: 2014 W–2

Looks like you're off just a little bit:
Football, you have it correct. 24-17 (Elon leads)
Baseball: 48-29 (Elon leads)
Basketball: 54-42 (Elon leads)
Women's basketball: 22-17 (Elon leads)

Bottom line......how the heck can WCU talk smack? If we've always been that bad, and your programs continually lose to us and are behind in the series with all the big 3 sports, where does that put your programs?

The Cats
December 21st, 2016, 03:36 PM
Looks like you're off just a little bit:
Football, you have it correct. 24-17 (Elon leads)
Baseball: 48-29 (Elon leads)
Basketball: 54-42 (Elon leads)
Women's basketball: 22-17 (Elon leads)

Bottom line......how the heck can WCU talk smack? If we've always been that bad, and your programs continually lose to us and are behind in the series with all the big 3 sports, where does that put your programs?

I wasn't talking smack when I said the SoCon does not want Elon back. How can the truth be smack. You guys brought up records, I didn't. If the CAA guys don't want you, or like you, maybe it's Elon then.

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 03:44 PM
I wasn't talking smack when I said the SoCon does not want Elon back. How can the truth be smack. You guys brought up records, I didn't. If the CAA guys don't want you, or like you, maybe it's Elon then.

I was still in school when we made the switch. So correct me if I am wrong but I think one of the main reasons for the dislike of Elon (some of the schools) was
-Public Schools didnt want another private school
-Citadel hated to see there rival VMI leave and blamed us for that
-Some previous feeling left over from the Past days in other conferences
-The fact that SoCon was our back up, we wanted to go to CAA even when we were still DII

The Cats
December 21st, 2016, 03:57 PM
I was still in school when we made the switch. So correct me if I am wrong but I think one of the main reasons for the dislike of Elon (some of the schools) was
-The fact that SoCon was our back up, we wanted to go to CAA even when we were still DII

Jusy my opinion, but I'd say all those things were part & partial to the average SoCon's fans dislike of Elon. I know the conference voted Elon in, but that was the presidents and chancellors, I guess Elon looked good on paper to them.

However, it was a different story from the average SoCon football fans.... and the Elon fans did little to endear themselves to the average SoCon public school fan.

CSU18
December 21st, 2016, 04:00 PM
Jusy my opinion, but I'd say all those things were part & partial to the average SoCon's fans dislike of Elon. I know the conference voted Elon in, but that was the presidents and chancellors, I guess Elon looked good on paper to them.

However, it was a different story from the average SoCon football fans.... and the Elon fans did little to endear themselves to the average SoCon public school fan.

It was always my understanding that Al Seagraves (Elon HC at the time) played a huge part in getting Elon in the SoCon with all of his previous ties to the conference.

walliver
December 21st, 2016, 04:12 PM

Most SoCon fans, including Citadel fans, were aware that ETSU forced VMI out. Although just about everybody was aware that VMI had come up with an incredibly stupid plan : "We'll get better by playing weaker competition".

I have seen reports that Samford was actually the SoCon's first choice, but the timing was bad. Samford had enquired about membership earlier, but there was no foreseeable opening and so the Bulldogs went to the OVC. VMI left right after Sammy had committed to the OVC and Elon was available. It ended up being a marriage of convenience. There's no definitive source for this although there are likely a few posts on AGS, but those are 12-13 years old and I don't feel like searching for them.

I doubt the private school status was a big issue. Although VMI is public, it is more likely to vote with the privates than the publics. Switching Elon for VMI didn't really change the balance of power.

I never sensed a great deal of hate towards Elon, except from Appy fans who felt that Elon's addition somehow pulled Appy back to their days as a teacher's college.

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 05:13 PM
I think "Uppity" is best description of how I, personally, feel about E*Loan. I grew up in the area and my 'sense' of E*Loan (accurate or not) growing up was that it was a small, sleepy, redneck school somewhere around Burlington that I would have never considered attending. I could never keep straight which one was the Guilford College Quakers and which one was the Elon College Fightin' Christians. Red Wilson was a great Coach and he made Elon College into a powerhouse NAIA program, but I wasn't interested in that level or the school or the area.

The next time E*Loan hit my radar they were dropping their long-time and unique Fightin' Christian moniker (which said something about them to me, personally). Then, what, hoodwinking the Big South into taking them on, then, somehow finagling a spot in the SoCon. Then, they started Recruiting some of my HS Players...and were selling them that E*Loan is an elite school, much like the Ivy League xsmhx...and then they pulled 2 of their committed offers (when Coach Lembo bolted). Both ended up doing great in college - 1 went with Lembo to Ball State and the other was an All-SoCon Player for Furman. Both graduated and are in great jobs now. So, FU, E*Loan - your loss! Then, they bailed on the SoCon, when...for the 1st time...the SoCon actually NEEDED them.

So - other than the interactions with my HS Players, all of that may be my subjective (and, possibly, erroneous) opinions...but it's just the way I see it / saw the school/football program throughout my life...and I don't care enough to really wonder if I'm right or wrong. Let the bird/city in AZ/whatever the heck they think they are, languish at the bottom of a bunch of their 'peer schools' in New England and I'll just enjoy following the venerable SoCon without 'em. I hope the door DID hit them in the a$$ on the way out!

CID1990
December 21st, 2016, 05:20 PM
I think "Uppity" is best description of how I, personally, feel about E*Loan. I grew up in the area and my 'sense' of E*Loan (accurate or not) growing up was that it was a small, sleepy, redneck school somewhere around Burlington that I would have never considered attending. I could never keep straight which one was the Guilford College Quakers and which one was the Elon College Fightin' Christians. Red Wilson was a great Coach and he made Elon College into a powerhouse NAIA program, but I wasn't interested in that level or the school or the area.

The next time E*Loan hit my radar they were dropping their long-time and unique Fightin' Christian moniker (which said something about them to me, personally). Then, what, hoodwinking the Big South into taking them on, then, somehow finagling a spot in the SoCon. Then, they started Recruiting some of my HS Players...and were selling them that E*Loan is an elite school, much like the Ivy League xsmhx...and then they pulled 2 of their committed offers (when Coach Lembo bolted). Both ended up doing great in college - 1 went with Lembo to Ball State and the other was an All-SoCon Player for Furman. Both graduated and are in great jobs now. So, FU, E*Loan - your loss! Then, they bailed on the SoCon, when...for the 1st time...the SoCon actually NEEDED them.

So - other than the interactions with my HS Players, all of that may be my subjective (and, possibly, erroneous) opinions...but it's just the way I see it / saw the school/football program throughout my life...and I don't care enough to really wonder if I'm right or wrong. Let the bird/city in AZ/whatever the heck they think they are, languish at the bottom of a bunch of their 'peer schools' in New England and I'll just enjoy following the venerable SoCon without 'em. I hope the door DID hit them in the a$$ on the way out!

Hey fubar where did you go to high school?

UNHWildcat18
December 21st, 2016, 05:25 PM
This lol, I wish them no I'll will and I don't care about CAA sports conference but when it comes to CAAFB We've built a really good "FCS" brand of being a top conference with recognizable teams due to their success. So yes I didn't like adding Elon, Georgia state, didn't mind ODU lol and yes I'm embarresed by Rhode Island. I know teams can rise but Eventually **** gets watered down with too many teams. Like Rutgers being in the big ten is a joke.

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 06:11 PM
Hey fubar where did you go to high school?

My attorney and mental health professional(s) have advised me not to respond to this query. Besides, I have had you on "Ignore" since early November, so I didn't even see this post.

...OR...

Raleigh Sanderson. Why do you ask?

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 06:47 PM
Well I agree with you on the scholarship pulling that was bush league and Elon was never power house enough to consider burning bridges like that. Sweepson burned lots of bridges that way

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 21st, 2016, 06:58 PM
I know you love our Alumni Gym. But we'll be playing in the Schar Center in 2018. Here's the architects video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9rgsxp_KQ

Cheers!

Very impressive. How is construction progress coming along?

ElonFirefighter
December 21st, 2016, 07:30 PM
Broke ground at homecoming haven't been back to see progress

fc97
December 22nd, 2016, 11:29 AM

Elon never should have joined

The Wofford, Elon, ETSU, VMI debacle of the early last decade. App/GSU complained about private schools both as fans publicly and as administrators behind closed doors. ETSU lead the charge to force VMI out, which got Elon in despite the protests of the App administrator. The very next year, ETSU wanted an exception for the very thing VMI wanted and they got booted, then allowing Samford in. GSU and Furman lead that effort.

Had VMI not exited, Elon most likely would have replaced ETSU anyway and still would have been in there in all actuality.

Being from NC, I liked the SoCon and going to game with my local friends. But I understand the logistics of the university knowing that I am not their typical student too. So I understand them leaving the conference too.

Overall

The SoCon had a huge identity problem. Was it Public, was it Private, was it some of both and could it exist as some of both. Large public vs not large public. And so on. Things seemed to have calmed down now, which is great for you guys. But goodness know if it was going to ever stabilize, if you had the chance, would you jump too?

fc97
December 22nd, 2016, 11:30 AM

Two CAA fans don't want us, big deal.

fc97
December 22nd, 2016, 11:41 AM

Locals always have a poor opinion of the schools in their backyard.

People in Durham hate Duke
People in Burlington hate Elon
People in High Point hate High Point University
People in Greensboro Hate Guilford
People in Charlotte hate Queens
People in the Dunn area hate Campbell

This is normal. You have a tainted opinion simply because you were a local. The city I grew up in had a good private university too, and I think it is worthless just because I grew up there too.

Uppity is basically how people describe most "private" schools in a town or smallish city they grew up in. They see all those cars from out of state, students not working and get a fast opinion of them.

Mocs123
December 22nd, 2016, 12:00 PM
Elon geographically was a great match for the SoCon but they never seemed happy there.

Chattanooga fans weren't happy about losing their biggest in conf rival ETSU and getting another small Carolina private school.

Elon replacing ETSU left Chattanooga painfully exposed as the only school west of the Appalachains, and UTC considered leaving for the OVC. Samford was brought in to the SoCon which both pleased UTC geographically and fit the small private high academic desires of much of the rest of the SoCon.

When Elon and COC left we got two more "western" schools in ETSU and Mercer.

CID1990
December 22nd, 2016, 02:07 PM
My attorney and mental health professional(s) have advised me not to respond to this query. Besides, I have had you on "Ignore" since early November, so I didn't even see this post.

...OR...

Raleigh Sanderson. Why do you ask?

Just curious if you went to Williams or Cummings or one of the other Alamance high schools.

FUBeAR
December 22nd, 2016, 02:09 PM
This is normal. You have a tainted opinion simply because you were a local.
Uppity is basically how people describe most "private" schools in a town or smallish city they grew up in.
They see all those cars from out of state, students not working and get a fast opinion of them.

This post is a good example of what I mean by "uppity." You assumed I am a 'townie' and imply some sort of townie vs. school conflict/jealousy/envy.

I'm from Raleigh, not Burlington...so I was aware of Elon and Guilford and Campbell and Brevard, etc. throughout my growing up years. And, I had no negative feelings for Peace, Meredith, or St. Mary's (Private Schools in Raleigh) coming up. Heck, I went to Furman, man - I'm certainly no Private School basher. Had no ill-feelings toward Elon either - kind of admired what a small, nothing school in a small town could do on a National stage Football-wise at the level they were playing.

"Uppity" feeling comes from 2000 forward and the actions that I understand E*Loan has taken with regard to their Athletics Program and their Self-Identity in the past 16 years.

To put it simply - if the Once-Fightin' Christians felt they were too good academically and athletically to be in the same conference with Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, VMI, and Samford and see themselves somehow as 'above' those 5 highly respected SOUTHERN institutions, then all I can say is, "Hey, E*Loan FeeNix, I hope the door hit you where the Good Lord split you!"

FUBeAR
December 22nd, 2016, 02:13 PM
Just curious if you went to Williams or Cummings or one of the other Alamance high schools.

Nah - Raleigh boy, but I consider 65 miles (from my house to E*Loan) "in the area."

Sounds like you might be from the Old North State yourself. Where did you go to HS?

citdog
December 22nd, 2016, 02:26 PM
Where did you go to HS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeNsPE5XUXA

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 22nd, 2016, 02:40 PM
citdog never disappoints

Gangtackle11
December 22nd, 2016, 02:47 PM
Anyone surfacing as the lead candidate here?

PaladinFan
December 22nd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Just excited Furman gets to whip Elon's backside next year for old time's sake.

whoanellie
December 22nd, 2016, 07:19 PM
thank you for all of the "History" of Elon 8 pages of tripe. Let's keep the main thing the main thing.
The future is now! The past is prolog. The last 30 years, Moving up from NAIA to D-2, D-! Indy, Big South, Southern to Colonial
has always followed by a growing learning curve. It's sometimes painful to watch and more painful writing those
Phoenix Club Checks. Back to the issue at hand.
#1 We have to replace a coach and staff that went 2-10 and We did not have to fire him.
#2 This is an opportunity for a worthy and capable Head Coach to really put a winning culture that would be perennially competitive in our league. The CAA averages 4 bids for the play-offs. You look at the roster and it looks decent on paper. But it has not translated into W's. We need players to make plays.
#3 Our Fanbase has evaporated.The new coach will have to pretty much take a ground zero approach and develop a culture of support.
#4 The Ad, Blank needs to make this pick correctly. I hope He chooses wisely and We have good interest in this job opening.

EC90
December 22nd, 2016, 09:05 PM

People in Durham hate Duke
People in Burlington hate Elon
People in High Point hate High Point University
People in Greensboro Hate Guilford
People in Charlotte hate Queens
People in the Dunn area hate Campbell

This is normal. You have a tainted opinion simply because you were a local. The city I grew up in had a good private university too, and I think it is worthless just because I grew up there too.

Uppity is basically how people describe most "private" schools in a town or smallish city they grew up in. They see all those cars from out of state, students not working and get a fast opinion of them.
And people in Richmond hate UofR

Milktruck74
December 22nd, 2016, 09:11 PM
As an Asheboro Boy, I miss drinking with Scott Riddle until he blacks out!!!! hahaha.

EC90
December 22nd, 2016, 09:35 PM

I'm sorry you feel this way about Elon(class 1990). I'm from Richmond and my grandfather played baseball for W&M back in the 40's. Also, a distant cousin of mine played football for the tribe '77-'81. I spent many a fall afternoon at Cary Field cheering for a Indian victory. Although I'm a Elon alum I will always be big supporter of Tribe athletics. You and others may think we're "garbage" but I'm proud to be a member of the CAA. I wish my grandfather was still alive so we could attend Elon-W&M games. He would not have been "embarrassed" playing Elon.

EC90
December 22nd, 2016, 09:42 PM
Charleston and Elon were excellent adds for the CAA. Their stars are rising, academically and with sports.

Really don't care if the Southern misses them or not (though I seem to remember the SoCon commissioner having a hissy fit when Elon announced) - they are just a better fit given the way demographics have changed. Both schools pull in a fair number of kids now from the Northeast which is why they both had interest, along with an overall stronger sports position.

Same with the CAA football-only group. Both schools were added to bolster the all sports members and the conference overall. When you look at the schools the America East have added recently - and those on their "watch list" - it's no wonder the the CAA looked south for a few new members.

Thanks Sitting Bull. I believe the CAA is a great fit for Elon!

Sandlapper Spike
December 23rd, 2016, 09:34 PM
Elon, while still in the SoCon, tried to prevent VMI (and East Tennessee State, for that matter) from returning to the conference, because for reasons not immediately apparent to anyone the administration of the college did not want to be in the same league as VMI. The school president got called on it, but then claimed it wasn't true. Nobody really believed him. Elon left the league shortly thereafter.

As for the current coaching situation, media in Charleston are already promoting Jamey Chadwell for the job. He may be interested, though I'm not sure Elon is exactly what he wants right now. It may be what he can get, however.

CID1990
December 25th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Elon, while still in the SoCon, tried to prevent VMI (and East Tennessee State, for that matter) from returning to the conference, because for reasons not immediately apparent to anyone the administration of the college did not want to be in the same league as VMI. The school president got called on it, but then claimed it wasn't true. Nobody really believed him. Elon left the league shortly thereafter.

As for the current coaching situation, media in Charleston are already promoting Jamey Chadwell for the job. He may be interested, though I'm not sure Elon is exactly what he wants right now. It may be what he can get, however.

If Elon takes a chance on Chadwell one of two things will happen:

1) Chadwell will prove himself capable of recruiting to an academically significant college, and Elon will be contending for a CAA title within 3-4 years

OR

2) Chadwell will not be able to recruit when he is restricted by APR goals and will either underachieve, or cheat.

I think 1 is more likely, but nobody really knows yet if he can recruit like an Ayers.

kdinva
December 25th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Elon, while still in the SoCon, tried to prevent VMI (and East Tennessee State, for that matter) from returning to the conference, The administration of the college did not want to be in the same league as VMI..

that was the worst kept secret that decade.....because VMI (and The Citadel) have never contributed to anything worthwhile to the United States.....

ZableNoise
December 25th, 2016, 05:00 PM
****. I really don't need Chadwell at Elon.

Also can someone give me the background on the VMI-Elon beef? Was it a politics thing?

kdinva
December 28th, 2016, 05:12 AM
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Elon: The Times News lists Charleston Southern head coach Jamey Chadwell and Army defensive coordinator Jay Bateman as possible candidates for the Elon head coaching job, as they were finalists for the job in 2013.

PaladinFan
December 28th, 2016, 05:29 AM

Elon: The Times News lists Charleston Southern head coach Jamey Chadwell and Army defensive coordinator Jay Bateman as possible candidates for the Elon head coaching job, as they were finalists for the job in 2013.

So far, Chadwell has been reported as a finalist for a bunch of jobs he didn't get.

JMUNJ08
December 28th, 2016, 11:47 PM
So far, Chadwell has been reported as a finalist for a bunch of jobs he didn't get.

Chadwell starting to sound like Withers. Always the bridesmaid until they find a way out. Elon = Texas St. Not too far off...

EU2000
December 29th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Chadwell starting to sound like Withers. Always the bridesmaid until they find a way out. Elon = Texas St. Not too far off...

Blank apparently passed on Chadwell in favor of Skrosky a few years ago. It's reported that Chadwell "
is not and has not been a candidate" for the Elon job.

It's looking like Jerry Mack's name, head coach at NCCU, is entering the picture.

reeder
December 29th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Has there been any announcement about Skrosky actually joining the FIU staff?

walliver
December 29th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Blank apparently passed on Chadwell in favor of Skrosky a few years ago. It's reported that Chadwell "
is not and has not been a candidate" for the Elon job.

It's looking like Jerry Mack's name, head coach at NCCU, is entering the picture.

It's hard to imagine Elon hiring a candidate who was rejected by two SoCon schools.
Chadwell just needs to do his job and wait for the Georgia Southern job to open up after next season.

SENOREIDA
December 29th, 2016, 02:32 PM
It's hard to imagine Elon hiring a candidate who was rejected by two SoCon schools.
Chadwell just needs to do his job and wait for the Georgia Southern job to open up after next season.

Well we just lost our OC to Temple, so Chadwell could wind up taking a short trip up US 17 and become CCU's new OC

ngineer
December 29th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Lembo really knows when to jump ships. He saw that Lehigh's cupboard was getting a little thin after the great run of 1998-2005 and hopped off the Elon, which had been down forever and go lucky with a great QB. Rode him a few years and skidaddled off to another perennial bottom feeder, Ball State, and caught a rare upswing that got them a couple nice seasons. Worm started to turn, again, and now off to Maryland as asst. HC. The guy either has exquisite timing, or has tremendous vision into the future. Will be interesting to see where the next flight will be.

RedFlash
December 31st, 2016, 10:16 AM
Sounds as if IUP (D2-Pa) coach Curt Cignetti is headed to Elon.

kdinva
December 31st, 2016, 10:25 AM

Elon (NC): Per source, IUP head coach Curt Cignetti has accepted the head coaching job at Elon. Cignetti has gone 53-17 in six yeas at IUP, including three Division II playoff appearances. The son of Frank Cignetti Sr., Curt was previously Alabama’s wide receivers coach from 2007-10

RootinFerDukes
December 31st, 2016, 10:39 AM
I'm just stunned that Elon fans have the gumption to talk smack. That's like Misery State fans talking smack. Except Misery State would whoop the **** out of Elon xlolx

Hell even uri blew out Elon. That may have been the moment skrosky realized he needed to get out of town.

ElonFirefighter
December 31st, 2016, 10:58 AM
http://elonphoenix.com/news/2016/12/30/curt-cignetti-named-elon-head-football-coach.aspx

JMUNJ08
December 31st, 2016, 11:11 AM
Looks like a nice get for the Pheonix. Hope he can recruit back in the south like before without the name cachet. Would be nice for our bottom teams to work their way up.

RootinFerDukes
December 31st, 2016, 11:11 AM

I'm not even sure if charleston southern to Elon is the same as James Madison to Texas state. That would be more like James Madison to Missouri state.

ngineer
December 31st, 2016, 09:30 PM

IUP has had a strong program from a number of years. The PSAC is a pretty competitive D-II conference. James Franklin came out of that league, having played and coached at East Stroudsburg University.

whoanellie
December 31st, 2016, 09:51 PM
We have to like his resume' and who He learned to coach from. West Virginia, Pitt, NC State (He knows North Carolina), Nick Saban Alabama. And has been successful in his own right.
If He does well, let him have a shot at a bigger job. Only one way to go and that's up! It will take a lot of work from everyone associated with the program.