PDA

View Full Version : Doin' Frisco

Pages : [1] 2

BisonTru
December 19th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Especially for the JMU guys, you beat the champs. Now it's time to represent like champs. NDSU has made this weekend pretty lucrative for Frisco. Hopefully JMU and YSU can continue this. Here's few tips.

The staples: Wild Pitch and Tight Ends Bar and Grills.

These two places have treated many of us well the past few years. They have been packed all weekend the past 5 years. They are also near many hotels. Don't mind the NDSU flags on the wall, and the owner is now an NDSU booster. You'll be treated well there.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56c0b6caa3360c09bede9097/56dc7061c2ea51eadabfdb9a/570d7b40c2ea51b9b79b025e/1460501314865/2016-03-16+18.37.11_wm.jpg?format=1000w

https://scontent.ffar1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/934024_1685556298358700_8043740439276372812_n.jpg? oh=4ff43a28163d8126b2f65445e1fab1ad&oe=58F62860

Hint: If you guys bring some of your schools attire in their size they'll probably wear it.

Legacy Park, Plano:

This spot in nearby Plano has a bunch of bars and restaurants from club like places, more bar-bars, to sit down restaurants. There's also a few hotels nearby.

Here's an ad from last year. This is probably some of the stuff Cocky didn't care for. Oh well, we pretty much owned this area as well as the first two locations the past five years albeit not as much the first. Hopefully we get some good FCS representation this year as well.

https://scontent.ffar1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12400647_949066751835858_5542191750539565248_n.jpg ?oh=fb0344dd233afe9cfff7ce5f6c49e204&oe=58FAF7DB

https://scontent.ffar1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1379858_950539695021897_5633991463518898354_n.jpg? oh=41033d23f1826ce9b85b4f6a5839b4e8&oe=58B001D3

Hotels: NDSU fans bought up most everything in the area a year ago. Most of these reservations will be cancelled. I would look at hotels near either the stadium, Wild Pitch/Tight Ends, or the Legacy Park area. Although even if you have to get something farther out, it's probably a fairly quick drive or uber to any of these destinations. Also, a lot of hotels will run shuttles to the game. Not sure when NDSU fans will let their rooms go, but I'd check often. I would assume most have a two week deadline for cancellation.

Tickets: If you don't get tickets thru your allotment, use flashseats. That is the official secondary market for this game, and they are e-tickets so they are authentic and can't be faked. They will also sell standing room only tickets sometime usually between Christmas and the New Year. There is plenty of standing room to watch the game if you're forced to go this route. Also check flashseats closer to the game even on gameday and you can most likely upgrade seats for cheap. If you have a flashseats account you could buy new or different tickets on your walk up to the stadium.

Tailgating: There is two lots on each side. IIRC, which ever side of the field your ticket allotment is, will be the lot your fanbase will tailgate in. Or at least suppose to. I believe you could park in there the night before, and also I believe they started letting NDSU folks in earlier than the start time they posted. They also have a tailgate town (?) area in between both tailgates close to the stadium with a bunch of games and what not. That would be an idea if your bringing kids.

The Game: They don't sell beer, but it's not difficult if you would like to sneak it in. I've seen a lot of fans drinking a beer and no one seems to care. They also have hospitality wrist bands that you can purchase that gets you early access to the game, a special lounge area, and free food and pop. They are sold out, but many Bison fans should be putting up some for sale. IIRC, they were at least $100+ for the wrist band.

The Airport: The main airport is a fair distance away, and I believe Love Field is as well. So getting a cab back and forth vs. renting a car is about a horse a piece.

Other Stuff to do: Uptown Dallas. We hung out in that area one year. It's got a bunch of college like bars near SMU. That would be a decent option if your in town Thursday or want to get out of Frisco and do something different Saturday night.

The JFK shooting memorial and the FT. Worth Stockyards. We saw both of these during one of the trips. Both are fairly out of the way, but if it's something that interest you it might be worth it.

Restaurants: I honestly don't have any recommendations here since when I've went down it's been a guys/party weekend and food kind of came secondary, but I know Oline and some other Bison posters could point you in the right direction of some good eats.

If any other Bison (or Sammy, ISU, JSU) fans have some ideas for folks making the trip. Suggest them here, and if you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

dewey
December 19th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Great idea on the thread.

I would HIGHLY recommend Hutchins BBQ. There are two locations though the closest to the stadium is the location below.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24221&stc=1

Here is a link to their website.
http://hutchinsbbq.com/

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24222&stc=1

I promise you will not be disappointed.

They are only open Fridays and Saturdays from 5pm to 9pm and I would recommend getting there at least 15 minutes or so early. Heck get there after the game and drink in the parking lot.

Dewey

BadlandsGrizFan
December 19th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Any questions or concerns I would be more than happy to help answer. I live in the area and work in Frisco.

Also, I had no Idea the Tight Ends owner was an NDSU booster...howd that happen? Haha...

Is the guy actually from Fargo or just a sponsor now? I go there frequently.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 19th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Love is an easier trip, and better to get in and out of security. Straight shot up Dallas North Tollway.

Check out the new Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters in Frisco, you cant miss it.

I agree with the Hutchins BBQ, best in North Dallas. If you're more with the "Hip" kinda north cali, Missoula, or Portland vibe, head to deep ellum neighborhood in near downtown dallas. Theres tons of bars and breweries.

dewey
December 19th, 2016, 05:08 PM
The last few years we have parked our vehicle on the side streets around Toyota stadium and the parking is free versus the pay parking lots next to the stadium. It is about 1-2 blocks farther.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24223&stc=1

We have parked on Enterprise Drive and John W Elliot Drive before and had no issues.

Dewey

CHIP72
December 19th, 2016, 05:12 PM
The thread title instantly made me think of "Debbie Does Dallas". Then the first pictures I see in the thread reinforced that thought. xlolx

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Just to remind everyone, Frisco is 29 miles due north of Dallas and 27 miles northeast of DFW Airport. There is no rail or bus to get there so get the rental car.

TheRevSFA
December 19th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Also remember, DFW can have temperature extremes in early January. Be sure you pack the right attire because temperature swings can happen quickly.

Also enjoy the experience.

NDSUtk
December 19th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Restaurant -
You're in Texas....You eat BBQ and TexMex. Sums it up!! There's a decent restaurant called Casa Rita's. We went there almost every Friday night. Another tip, there's a Rudy BBQ in the gas station right by the stadium. We would order our tailgating food from them and pick it up on the way to tailgate. It's good eats. Yes, it's in a gas station. But it's good.

Site seeing:
The Sixth Floor Museum is the JFK one referenced earlier. Very cool and moving.
Downtown we also did the Dallas World Aquarium. That was pretty decent and more than just aquarium life.

The stockyards are famous but I never made it there.

A VIP tour of Cowboys stadium was pretty awesome and I hate the cowgirls. The VIP is guided and takes you all over. It's over an hour long. The year we went was when Ohio State and Oregon played for the championship.

We also went to the Bush Presidential Library. Lots of moving stuff about 9/11. Also I've never been to any other Presidential library, but I thought it was neat with all the facts and history from his time in office.

Bars:
Those were covered well above. Fun times.

Overall, enjoy the trip!

Bisonoline
December 19th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Great idea on the thread.

I would HIGHLY recommend Hutchins BBQ. There are two locations though the closest to the stadium is the location below.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24221&stc=1

Here is a link to their website.
http://hutchinsbbq.com/

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24222&stc=1

I promise you will not be disappointed.

They are only open Fridays and Saturdays from 5pm to 9pm and I would recommend getting there at least 15 minutes or so early. Heck get there after the game and drink in the parking lot.

Dewey

Hutchins BBQ has the best Brisket Ive ever had.

http://hutchinsbbq.com/frisco-bbq/

Open Wed-sun
(http://hutchinsbbq.com/frisco-bbq/)

BisonTru
December 19th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Also I didn't realize this since I've never bought them, but with the hospitality wrist bands they have a cash bar (alcohol) in their lounge. I believe it must stay in the lounge. There are a few of them listed for sale on bisonville.

swaghook
December 19th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Downtown McKinney is a place called SugarBacon. Great food if you are over that way for their shops.

http://sugarbacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/sb_sugarbacon_slide.jpg

swaghook
December 19th, 2016, 09:08 PM
The Pecan Lodge in Dallas if you want some great pit smoked BBQ but go early when it's gone it's gone for the day.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49836963/pecanlodge-strickland.0.0.jpg

FargoBison
December 19th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Love is an easier trip, and better to get in and out of security. Straight shot up Dallas North Tollway.

Check out the new Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters in Frisco, you cant miss it.

I agree with the Hutchins BBQ, best in North Dallas. If you're more with the "Hip" kinda north cali, Missoula, or Portland vibe, head to deep ellum neighborhood in near downtown dallas. Theres tons of bars and breweries.

If you go to Deep Ellum....hit the Pecan Lodge up for BBQ.

Gate83
December 19th, 2016, 10:04 PM
If you go to Deep Ellum....

Keep your money in your shoe

JMUNJ08
December 19th, 2016, 11:01 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions! Hotel is real close to Wild Pitch so it looks like I'm in good shape! I'm also full from all the BBQ suggestions. Keep'em coming!

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Also remember, DFW can have temperature extremes in early January. Be sure you pack the right attire because temperature swings can happen quickly.

You're not kidding! Saturday's high was 73. By day's end, the low was 16.

http://cbslocal-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/captures/CEB/4FB/CEB4FB9F12974B7FB110455C18F10F53.jpg

jmu007
December 20th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Question for anyone who has been to Frisco... Where is a good place to take the wife for some live music and dancing Friday or Saturday night? Last time we were in Texas we went to this awesome western bar with live band and dance floor etc,, and she had a blast. Is there anything like this in Frisco?

TheRevSFA
December 20th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Question for anyone who has been to Frisco... Where is a good place to take the wife for some live music and dancing Friday or Saturday night? Last time we were in Texas we went to this awesome western bar with live band and dance floor etc,, and she had a blast. Is there anything like this in Frisco?

The pinnacle is Billy Bob's in Fort Worth. It's 45 minutes from Frisco but worth the trip.

TheRevSFA
December 20th, 2016, 08:41 AM
You're not kidding! Saturday's high was 73. By day's end, the low was 16.

http://cbslocal-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/captures/CEB/4FB/CEB4FB9F12974B7FB110455C18F10F53.jpg

In Galveston, it was 82 degrees at one point saturday. Woke up Sunday and it was in the 30s

jmu007
December 20th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Would like to find something a little closer, but good to know its there. Something to check out on another trip if we don't get to that weekend.

The pinnacle is Billy Bob's in Fort Worth. It's 45 minutes from Frisco but worth the trip.

TheRevSFA
December 20th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Would like to find something a little closer, but good to know its there. Something to check out on another trip if we don't get to that weekend.

Deep Ellum has music, but if you're looking for Country & Western...

I mean, Ft Worth is known as Cowtown for a reason.

That was the best thing about growing up and living in Arlington..halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth so it was easy to go do shows in either city.

CHIP72
December 20th, 2016, 09:28 AM
For people who like to go to other sports events, it looks like the Dallas Mavericks are at home on Thursday 1/5 and Saturday 1/7 (and Tuesday 1/3 if you make a week of it). The Dallas Stars are at home on Wednesday 1/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2016, 09:46 AM
And now I'm sad I'm not going to Frisco.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cx500d
December 20th, 2016, 09:54 AM

Try Hanks in McKinney for honky Tonkin . McKinney is where the main Hutchins BBQ is, and their hours are more normal and have more selection than frisco.

Sometimes love and war in Texas has some local country bands also

cx500d
December 20th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Deep Ellum has music, but if you're looking for Country & Western...

I mean, Ft Worth is known as Cowtown for a reason.

That was the best thing about growing up and living in Arlington..halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth so it was easy to go do shows in either city.

Some times the sons of Hermann hall in deep ellum has local country bands and they have an old timey wood dance floor

bobcathpdevil56
December 20th, 2016, 04:24 PM
I am so fired up about the theoretical Bobcat run to Frisco, in the not so clear future.

MacThor
December 20th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Hint: If you guys bring some of your schools attire in their size they'll probably wear it.

I don't think JMU (or any CAA school for that matter) produces attire in their size. But I'd be happy to make inquiries. :)

BisonTru
December 20th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Is that the place that basically has an indoor track that they square dance on?

JMUNJ08
December 20th, 2016, 11:37 PM
BUMP

BadlandsGrizFan
December 21st, 2016, 11:42 AM

Midnight Rodeo in Addison. About 10 miles south of Frisco.

Its a country western bar, older crowd (most people there are older than 40)

Huge dance floor, lots of cowboys and cowgirls.

Its a cool place. Right off Dallas North Tollway.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 21st, 2016, 11:46 AM
I would highly reccomend a Dallas Stars game....theyre A BLAST.

Right downtown in a fun area to spend an evening. If you have never been to an NHL game...its a must!!!

IBleedYellow
December 21st, 2016, 02:18 PM

Right downtown in a fun area to spend an evening. If you have never been to an NHL game...its a must!!!

STARS!!!!!!!

StrikeJMU
December 21st, 2016, 03:00 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered, but how good is Frisco about Uber? I read that Dallas is like a top 15 Uber city in the world so I figured I could be alright not renting a car.

jmufan999
December 21st, 2016, 03:01 PM
Tailgating: There is two lots on each side. IIRC, which ever side of the field your ticket allotment is, will be the lot your fanbase will tailgate in. Or at least suppose to. I believe you could park in there the night before, and also I believe they started letting NDSU folks in earlier than the start time they posted.

can anyone confirm these two statements: can you park at the stadium overnight and if not, can you just go in earlier than the allotted time on gameday? you're scaring me with all the "I believe" and "IIRC" statements. good stuff if you're right, though.

The last few years we have parked our vehicle on the side streets around Toyota stadium and the parking is free versus the pay parking lots next to the stadium. It is about 1-2 blocks farther.

No tailgating that way, though... right? Unless you parallel park and plop down a couple of chairs on the sidewalk (which would be awesome).

TheRevSFA
December 21st, 2016, 03:18 PM

and good ol' Grubes is known to play the Nickelback. POD Knows would love it

BisonFanAnn
December 21st, 2016, 03:42 PM
Last year, they opened the tailgate lots between noon and 6 pm Friday. Pay for parking, leave your vehicle (RV, trailer) overnight. Apparently that is not the case this year. Since we parked on Friday night, I don't know what time they started letting people in on Saturday (we stayed within walking distance).

From the NCAA FCS championship web site:
TAILGATING

Tailgating is a longstanding college football tradition and will be allowed in stadium parking lots. To ensure that fans have a safe and enjoyable experience, spectators are asked to adhere to the following regulations on game day, unless specifically authorized to do otherwise by the NCAA:

• Possession and consumption of alcohol in the Stadium parking areas is subject to the laws and regulations of the State of Texas and/or City of Frisco. Police will patrol these areas and enforce all applicable laws.
• No kegs or other common source containers.
• No tents larger than 10’ x 10’ and must be located in front of a parked car or within the four spaces allocated to a recreational vehicle.
• Tailgating activities that take up vacant parking spaces or interfere with pedestrian or car traffic flow within or around a parking lot are prohibited.
• Parking permit holders are responsible for functions they host in their parking spaces.
• Open flames other than grills are not permitted.
• Pop-up tents and canopies must be secured or dismantled if left unattended.
• Lots open at 7 a.m. All spectators are encouraged not to come before this time as traffic lineups will not be permitted. Parking lots will stay open after the game, but all vehicles must be off property by 11:30 p.m. that night.
• All cars in the stadium parking lots must keep their parking pass displayed at all times, or be subject to towing.
• No corporate signage is permitted at any time unless prior written approval by the NCAA has been obtained.
• No couches or upholstered furniture.
• Spectators who want to watch television or use other entertainment devices that require electricity are allowed to do so as long as they provide their own power and video sources.
• No outside food vendors are allowed without the permission of the NCAA or Toyota Stadium.
• Pets are permitted but must be kept on a leash at all times.

PurpleStreamers
December 21st, 2016, 04:10 PM
Last year, they opened the tailgate lots between noon and 6 pm Friday. Pay for parking, leave your vehicle (RV, trailer) overnight. Apparently that is not the case this year. Since we parked on Friday night, I don't know what time they started letting people in on Saturday (we stayed within walking distance).

From the NCAA FCS championship web site:
TAILGATING

Tailgating is a longstanding college football tradition and will be allowed in stadium parking lots. To ensure that fans have a safe and enjoyable experience, spectators are asked to adhere to the following regulations on game day, unless specifically authorized to do otherwise by the NCAA:

• Possession and consumption of alcohol in the Stadium parking areas is subject to the laws and regulations of the State of Texas and/or City of Frisco. Police will patrol these areas and enforce all applicable laws.
• No kegs or other common source containers.
• No tents larger than 10’ x 10’ and must be located in front of a parked car or within the four spaces allocated to a recreational vehicle.
• Tailgating activities that take up vacant parking spaces or interfere with pedestrian or car traffic flow within or around a parking lot are prohibited.
• Parking permit holders are responsible for functions they host in their parking spaces.
• Open flames other than grills are not permitted.
• Pop-up tents and canopies must be secured or dismantled if left unattended.
• Lots open at 7 a.m. All spectators are encouraged not to come before this time as traffic lineups will not be permitted. Parking lots will stay open after the game, but all vehicles must be off property by 11:30 p.m. that night.
• All cars in the stadium parking lots must keep their parking pass displayed at all times, or be subject to towing.
• No corporate signage is permitted at any time unless prior written approval by the NCAA has been obtained.
• No couches or upholstered furniture.
• Spectators who want to watch television or use other entertainment devices that require electricity are allowed to do so as long as they provide their own power and video sources.
• No outside food vendors are allowed without the permission of the NCAA or Toyota Stadium.
• Pets are permitted but must be kept on a leash at all times.

Anyone know if this has been enforced in the past? We had really hoped to just leave a car that night and scoop it in the morning, but sounds like maybe we'll need to move it off-site or have a real DD.

Bisonoline
December 21st, 2016, 08:08 PM
Never mind the rules. The stadium doesnt want people waiting in line to get in to the tailgate lots. They will have people there early. One year it was still dark when they let us in.

If you folks do in fact tailgate hard I would call the stadium director(like I did) and explain to him what you guys do in regards to tailgate so they can be ready for you. Last two years they let people park their rigs on Friday and leave them there. Give them a call and see what they are doing this year. Its the only way you will know for sure.

As far as after the game we stayed around for 2-3 hours and then went out to eat.

Remember--with an 11 oclock kick off you arent going to have alot of time for tailgating.

cx500d
December 21st, 2016, 10:21 PM
I am so fired up about the theoretical Bobcat run to Frisco, in the not so clear future.

Bro you must be sleeping, cause you sure are dreaming

cx500d
December 21st, 2016, 10:25 PM
Midnight Rodeo in Addison. About 10 miles south of Frisco.

Its a country western bar, older crowd (most people there are older than 40)

Huge dance floor, lots of cowboys and cowgirls.

Its a cool place. Right off Dallas North Tollway.

Geezerville. It's Also like top 40 whiney pretty boy country not the local Texas bands that sing lots of songs about Texas, like "Welcome to Texas" by Bryan burns

Sader87
December 21st, 2016, 11:33 PM
I can't think of a location I'd less want to go to than Frisco, Texas..... we'll nevah get there as a team but it's something I'm not envious of.....carry on.

Thumper 76
December 22nd, 2016, 12:36 AM
I can't think of a location I'd less want to go to than Frisco, Texas..... we'll nevah get there as a team but it's something I'm not envious of.....carry on.

Congratulations. Stay on the East Coast please.

RootinFerDukes
December 22nd, 2016, 08:56 AM

Really, not a single location? I'd hate to have to go to Akron, OH.... or anywhere in New Jersey.

Bisonator
December 22nd, 2016, 09:02 AM
Yeah you don't have to worry about it. Stay in your safe place. xlolx

JMUNJ08
December 22nd, 2016, 10:51 AM
Really, not a single location? I'd hate to have to go to Akron, OH.... or anywhere in New Jersey.

Hey now....

Have a 'few' 'ok' spots for a game....

Bison56
December 22nd, 2016, 10:59 AM

http://i42.tinypic.com/k2eqvq.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiw8vr2oojRAhVl64MKHVx7AFgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownloadpolitics.com%2Farchive%2F index.php%2Ft-21624.html%3Fs%3De3fb4416b82feac893fee4e77ba3f7ce&bvm=bv.142059868,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNEhPyQ3XYlWSiT7KCSkuiVdA80JXA&ust=1482511587667017)

Bison56
December 22nd, 2016, 11:06 AM
Congratulations. Stay on the East Coast please.

https://media.tenor.co/images/0aa0f42c9e4a0895534270ab03f6bf60/raw (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1tofDpIjRAhUj0IMKHXx3CpMQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tenor.co%2Fsearch%2Farrogant-gifs&bvm=bv.142059868,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFJloS4fnf-GI3JfAiZhqFXfPLLJg&ust=1482512713184798)

WWII
December 22nd, 2016, 11:21 AM

I think your wrong about Frisco. I've been in thousands of places worse than Frisco TX. I've been to the championship game 3 times and it's always been a pleasure.
You are probably right about your team though.

citdog
December 22nd, 2016, 12:40 PM

Damn yankee son of a bitch

Bisonoline
December 22nd, 2016, 12:44 PM

I thought that also until I went there.

CockyGeek
December 22nd, 2016, 12:58 PM
I had to look up the helmet.

JMUNJ08
December 23rd, 2016, 09:31 AM
I would love to know what 'Tailgate Town' is at the stadium. Can someone enlighten me?

PurpleStreamers
December 23rd, 2016, 09:40 AM
I assume it's like the old pavilion setup in Chatty. Basically the Godwin Field Kid's Zone combined with an NCAA-approved tee-shirt shop. Our real Tailgate Town is Red Lot 7 a.m. sharp though!

NDSUtk
December 23rd, 2016, 09:43 AM
I assume it's like the old pavilion setup in Chatty. Basically the Godwin Field Kid's Zone combined with an NCAA-approved tee-shirt shop. Our real Tailgate Town is Red Lot 7 a.m. sharp though!
Correct. They'll usually have a speaker of some sort. Games to play for the kids etc.

cx500d
December 23rd, 2016, 01:59 PM
Damn yankee son of a bitch

Hope he gets his driveway plowed in every day all winter long.

Sader87
December 23rd, 2016, 07:54 PM
It doesn't normally snow too much on Cape Cod.....xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
December 23rd, 2016, 09:04 PM
I would love to know what 'Tailgate Town' is at the stadium. Can someone enlighten me?

I may be wrong, but I believe it's and old, old wooden ship.

LuckyKat
December 25th, 2016, 06:42 AM
Enjoy the Great State of,,
You Filthy Animals

caribbeanhen
December 25th, 2016, 09:14 AM

smart man!

BadlandsGrizFan
December 28th, 2016, 01:50 PM
I think your wrong about Frisco. I've been in thousands of places worse than Frisco TX. I've been to the championship game 3 times and it's always been a pleasure.
You are probably right about your team though.

Yaaa...continuosly voted as one of the nicest cities in America...but who would want to go there right???

Professor Chaos
December 28th, 2016, 01:54 PM
You can show up earlier than 7AM if you want. They'll let you in. They have every year in the past to avoid traffic backing up onto one of Frisco's major thoroughfares. I think last year they even let some rigs park there on Friday (so you could start tailgating whenever you wanted) for an extra $20 or something like that.

Twentysix
December 28th, 2016, 08:15 PM
In Galveston, it was 82 degrees at one point saturday. Woke up Sunday and it was in the 30s

Every
morning in San Diego has been like this. Usually about 40 around 7am and up into the 70s by mid day.

The Yo Show
December 28th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Frisco expected weather is 41 degrees for high January 7th as of right now on Weather.com. PS I'm going!!! I got approval and booked my flight. Just looking for tickets and hotels at this point. You all recommend staying in dallas and getting taxi or uber up to the game yes? I noticed hotels are much cheaper further from the stadium.

dewey
December 28th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Frisco expected weather is 41 degrees for high January 7th as of right now on Weather.com. PS I'm going!!! I got approval and booked my flight. Just looking for tickets and hotels at this point. You all recommend staying in dallas and getting taxi or uber up to the game yes? I noticed hotels are much cheaper further from the stadium.

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn in McKinney. It is about a block from a Boston, decent food and plenty of beer, and about a 15 minute drive to the stadium. It is straight East of the Stadium off of Main Street. You can stop at Hutchins BBQ. You will not be disappointed that I guarantee.

As for Uber. I am not sure we rented a little sh$t box car that was about $25 per day. It is a good 35 to 45 minutes from the airport to McKinney where we stayed plus then we drove said crap box to the game.

Dewey

The Yo Show
December 28th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Thanks Dewey! I probably will check out that BBQ!

dewey
December 28th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks Dewey! I probably will check out that BBQ!

I have recommended to a few other folks going to the game. Make sure to check out their website as they are only open during a small window. I think it is on the first page of this thread (actually post #2).

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 29th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Yikes... looks like highs in the high 30s Wednesday-Friday with chance of snow/ice and then into the lower 40s on gameday. One of these years it's actually going to be nice weather on FCS championship game day. Over the last few years when I've gone down there it's usually been really nice on either the Thursday or Friday before the game (or both) and then Saturday not so much. I was convinced that since this is the first year since 2010 that I won't be there it was going to be 60s on game day. :p

POD Knows
December 29th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Yikes... looks like highs in the high 30s Wednesday-Friday with chance of snow/ice and then into the lower 40s on gameday. One of these years it's actually going to be nice weather on FCS championship game day. Over the last few years when I've gone down there it's usually been really nice on either the Thursday or Friday before the game (or both) and then Saturday not so much. I was convinced that since this is the first year since 2010 that I won't be there it was going to be 60s on game day. :p

Good, I hope it storms and they have to play in snow banks, not that I am bitter or anything. xpissedx

NDSUtk
December 29th, 2016, 09:43 AM

I thought the second year against Sam Houston State, (2012 season played January 2013) was pretty nice out. I remember going down to a tshirt during the game. Online, shows that Dallas hit 54 degrees that day.

Professor Chaos
December 29th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I thought the second year against Sam Houston State, (2012 season played January 2013) was pretty nice out. I remember going down to a tshirt during the game. Online, shows that Dallas hit 54 degrees that day.
Yeah, that's nothing to complain about. Although I think in January 2012 and January 2013 the Friday before the game it hit 70.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 29th, 2016, 11:03 AM

I reccomend staying in Addison....it has tons of restaurants and bars...half way between downtown Dallas and Frisco.

perfect location for anywhere you might wanna go in the Metroplex.

Sader87
December 31st, 2016, 12:24 AM
When I die, I expect purgatory to be an exact replica of Frisco, Texas.....strip malls, cheap motels and chain restaurants...just hoping I said enough Our Fathers for it not to be too long.

Bisonoline
December 31st, 2016, 12:27 AM
When I die, I expect purgatory to be an exact replica of Frisco, Texas.....strip malls, cheap motels and chain restaurants...just hoping I said enough Our Fathers for it not to be too long.

Dont know if youre trolling or just ignorant of the area.

RootinFerDukes
December 31st, 2016, 07:25 AM

You just described nearly every town in America with a population over 1,000.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2016, 07:47 AM

Bingo! haven't seen anyone post anything attractive about Frisco except the game itself ... you can eat at Shoney's or sleep at the Motel 6 anywhere, Not saying that Frisco is not a good place to hold the game though, because the NCAA doesn't want the host town to offer anything that could potentially distract from the game...

RootinFerDukes
December 31st, 2016, 09:26 AM
Damn now I feel like I'm missing out by not booking a room at the motel 6.

JMU Newbill
January 2nd, 2017, 11:17 AM
Bump.... Staying in the Embassy Suites in Frisco (the one right by the Stonebriar Center Mall). Love that its walking distance to Wild Pitch and Tight Ends, the girl that's splitting the room with me, not so much. Good thing my flight gets in before hers!

With the JMU events going on in the shops at legacy (looks like a quick uber ride), anyone have suggestions for places other than Scruffys and Ringos? I'm sure I will stop by both, but there looks like a ton of places in that shopping center. Henry's Tavern and Village Burger bar looked good just with a quick google search. I'm not much for the hoity toity places, which is what a lot of those bars/restaurants in that shopping center look like, but I certainly don't mind paying good money for a good time.

Anyone have some insight?

DFW HOYA
January 2nd, 2017, 11:23 AM

Except Frisco doesn't have cheap motels and its strip mall is anything but:

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/ae/bd/1d/stonebriar-centre-regional.jpg

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2017, 01:24 PM
Bingo! haven't seen anyone post anything attractive about Frisco except the game itself ... you can eat at Shoney's or sleep at the Motel 6 anywhere, Not saying that Frisco is not a good place to hold the game though, because the NCAA doesn't want the host town to offer anything that could potentially distract from the game...

Your ignorance is showing again.

http://batchgeo.com/map/b317db15b42986919f24bff19465e039

RootinFerDukes
January 2nd, 2017, 01:29 PM
There used to be a Shoney's in Harrisonburg, but it closed and is now being replaced by an Olive Garden. We're upgrading!

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2017, 01:32 PM
There used to be a Shoney's in Harrisonburg, but it closed and is now being replaced by an Olive Garden. We're upgrading!

Obviously hes an expert on Motel 6 and Shoneys.

Harrisonburger
January 2nd, 2017, 05:52 PM
Been lurking here for years. So, good time for first post. The Motel 6 in H arrisonburg is a stone's throw from where the Shoney's used to be. Along with the Olive Garden, we're getting a Krispy Kreme in that space. Good trade. :-)

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2017, 06:36 PM
I actually didnt know Shoneys was still a thing as I hadnt seen one in many many years.

Harrisonburger
January 2nd, 2017, 08:29 PM
Yep, Shoney's are still around. But a bunch closed a few years back, including the one in Harrisonburg. Kind of lost their niche. If you're really looking for gritty, you'll go to Waffle House. Tried to do a buffet thing, but too much competition with bigger buffets. IMHO.

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2017, 08:36 PM
Yep, Shoney's are still around. But a bunch closed a few years back, including the one in Harrisonburg. Kind of lost their niche. If you're really looking for gritty, you'll go to Waffle House. Tried to do a buffet thing, but too much competition with bigger buffets. IMHO.

Ate at Shoneys one time. It was terrible. Never stop at one again.

The patrons at Waffle house are also good entertainment. Especially at 2-3am.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2017, 07:21 AM
Ate at Shoneys one time. It was terrible. Never stop at one again.

The patrons at Waffle house are also good entertainment. Especially at 2-3am.

so are your admitting you were one of the patrons....I'm sure everyone was honored to be graced by the presence of Mr. Smug at the Waffle House at 3 AM...

Panther88
January 3rd, 2017, 11:30 AM
It's that "dallas" time of the year in the metroplex. I noted earlier last week that it was anticipated snow flurries on this upcoming Friday (01/06). The forecast now shows: 01/06 - H 39/L 25 ; 01/07 - H 43/L 25; 20% chance of precipitation both days.

Weird Jan weather since we've been in shorts/tee shirts the last 2 days.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2017, 02:44 PM
Dont know if youre trolling or just ignorant of the area.

He's been a pretty big asshole for the last few years in particular for whatever reason. Not sure why but he just is.

I'll take the word of people that have been there over some dick trying to dampen the event.

WTF is a Shoney? I assume lodging but never heard of that one before.

citdog
January 3rd, 2017, 02:46 PM
He's been a pretty big asshole for the last few years in particular for whatever reason. Not sure why but he just is.

I'll take the word of people that have been there over some dick trying to dampen the event.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/wy/WYWAPbigboy_matten.jpg

Shoney's Big Boy

RootinFerDukes
January 3rd, 2017, 03:03 PM
Shoney's is the K-Mart of chain restaurants. I never understand how it's still in business.

KPSUL
January 3rd, 2017, 03:08 PM
Been lurking here for years. So, good time for first post. The Motel 6 in H arrisonburg is a stone's throw from where the Shoney's used to be. Along with the Olive Garden, we're getting a Krispy Kreme in that space. Good trade. :-)

What's going on with that Krispy Kreme? Looks like it was ready open over a month ago but still no donutsxbawlingxxbawlingx

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2017, 03:12 PM
so are your admitting you were one of the patrons....I'm sure everyone was honored to be graced by the presence of Mr. Smug at the Waffle House at 3 AM...

Smug and sober is the key.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2017, 03:20 PM

Shoney's Big Boy

??? We had Big Boy restaurants but I don't remember Shoney's being part of it...

I'll go look it up and see what I'm missing I guess.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2017, 03:26 PM

Shoney's Big Boy

That's funny, we knew them as Bob's Big Boy and they were the same place apparently but I had never heard of Shoney's. It was a California thing so it seemed odd E Coasters or Southerners would be referring to it.

I loved that place as a kid man. I don't know if there was a quality difference but Bob's Big Boy was pretty decent even into my early 2o's but especially as a kid.

Dude from California franchised it and there are apparently several different incarnations like Shoney's, Bob's, etc.

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2017, 03:53 PM
That's funny, we knew them as Bob's Big Boy and they were the same place apparently but I had never heard of Shoney's. It was a California thing so it seemed odd E Coasters or Southerners would be referring to it.

I loved that place as a kid man. I don't know if there was a quality difference but Bob's Big Boy was pretty decent even into my early 2o's but especially as a kid.

Dude from California franchised it and there are apparently several different incarnations like Shoney's, Bob's, etc.

Bob's big boy is not related to shoneys.

flyrod
January 3rd, 2017, 04:12 PM
Word has it Krispy Kreme is to open this month.....January Somewhere I thought I heard the 5th
not 100% though

Cocky
January 3rd, 2017, 04:18 PM

Shoneys had/has hotels, also.

cx500d
January 3rd, 2017, 05:14 PM

You forgot Breastaurants

cx500d
January 3rd, 2017, 05:17 PM
It's that "dallas" time of the year in the metroplex. I noted earlier last week that it was anticipated snow flurries on this upcoming Friday (01/06). The forecast now shows: 01/06 - H 39/L 25 ; 01/07 - H 43/L 25; 20% chance of precipitation both days.

Weird Jan weather since we've been in shorts/tee shirts the last 2 days.

Yeah, had to switch from AC to Heat tonight.

pokefan02
January 3rd, 2017, 06:48 PM
That is one of the charms of living in the South, if you don't like the weather wait a few minutes it will change.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
January 3rd, 2017, 07:04 PM

Dude, seriously. Go out, get drunk, and get laid. I don't care if you have to pay, you need to get this sad state of bitchy passive aggressiveness out of your system.

BisonFan02
January 3rd, 2017, 07:08 PM
Dude, seriously. Go out, get drunk, and get laid. I don't care if you have to pay, you need to get this sad state of bitchy passive aggressiveness out of your system.

Jeez.....almost convinced me to grab a sixer....time to reevaluate my priorities. xlolx

Also....you'd be passive aggressive too if you rooted for Delaware. #futilityprerequisite

Thumper 76
January 3rd, 2017, 07:10 PM
Jeez.....almost convinced me to grab a sixer....time to reevaluate my priorities. xlolx

Also....you'd be passive aggressive too if you rooted for Delaware. #futilityprerequisite

I'm just aggressive. So there's that.

BisonFan02
January 3rd, 2017, 07:13 PM

Exactly! In order to be jaded enough to add the "passive" portion, you have to have experienced success before. You guys got close this year and **** got weird. :D

Thumper 76
January 3rd, 2017, 07:15 PM
Exactly! In order to be jaded enough to add the "passive" portion, you have to have experienced success before. You guys got close this year and **** got weird. :D

I'm gunna sneak into the zoo, kill your mascot, eat him, and wear his hide for ritualistic dances and seances for Marker Week.

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2017, 07:16 PM

Hes a dick. These losers are just a fact of life. There is no hope for them so you just have to kick them to the curb and move on..

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2017, 07:18 PM

xthumbsupx:D

BisonFan02
January 3rd, 2017, 07:18 PM
I'm gunna sneak into the zoo, kill your mascot, eat him, and wear his hide for ritualistic dances and seances for Marker Week.

Sounds more like a hobo week tradition.

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2017, 07:22 PM
Sounds more like a hobo week tradition.

Dude youre on fire. LOL LOL

TheKingpin28
January 3rd, 2017, 09:41 PM

Can I change my vote for AGS Humor poster of the year? This is gold!

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2017, 10:32 PM

you didn't read the thread...

are you kidding, I was a sailor... study up!

Harrisonburger
January 3rd, 2017, 10:34 PM
But getting back to the heart of the thread, :D word is that new Krispy Kreme was originally shooting for a pre Xmas opening, and when they couldn't hit that moved everything back to around the middle of January. Wouldn't know it to look at me, but I'm really not a donut guy. But grew up on Krispy Kreme in Richmond. If you like em sweet, this is a good option.

Decided to do Frisco at the 11th hour. So most importantly, where do I want to go for celebratory or eating away the pain bbq after the game? Currently leaning toward Lockhart's in Plano.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2017, 10:44 PM

Shoney's is one of them all you can eat buffet breakfast places, sausage gravy from a 55 gallon drum, not the Bob's Big Boy place... if you never heard of it good for you, you didn't miss anything

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2017, 10:46 PM
Hes a dick. These losers are just a fact of life. There is no hope for them so you just have to kick them to the curb and move on..

what do you think you are besides Smug? deal with it!

Harrisonburger
January 3rd, 2017, 10:52 PM
Shoney's is one of them all you can eat buffet breakfast places, sausage gravy from a 55 gallon drum, not the Bob's Big Boy place... if you never heard of it good for you, you didn't miss anything

The one in Hburg had this breakfast buffet thing that I assumed was leftover ground beef and rice from the night before. It was actually kind of tasty if you like that kind of thing for breakfast.

Shoney's had its time and place. My 89 year old dad loves it. He does't quite bring the average age of the room down when he walks in, but you get the point.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2017, 10:59 PM
The one in Hburg had this breakfast buffet thing that I assumed was leftover ground beef and rice from the night before. It was actually kind of tasty if you like that kind of thing for breakfast.

Shoney's had its time and place. My 89 year old dad loves it. He does't quite bring the average age of the room down when he walks in, but you get the point.

Yes Sir! Is your Dad a Blue hen fan? that's not a knock on him but a lil joke about the Delaware fan base average age....

I was in a Shoney's one time in South Carolina somewhere off I-95.... the employee's were real nice but the food was not nice on me...

Sader87
January 3rd, 2017, 11:30 PM
Yes Sir! Is your Dad a Blue hen fan? that's not a knock on him but a lil joke about the Delaware fan base average age....

I was in a Shoney's one time in South Carolina somewhere off I-95.... the employee's were real nice but the food was not nice on me...

I'm willing to wager Holy Cross has a "higher average age fan-base" than Delaware or any other school in America for that mattah.

POD Knows
January 4th, 2017, 06:23 AM
I'm willing to wager Holy Cross has a "higher average age fan-base" than Delaware or any other school in America for that mattah.

Are you kidding me. NDSU has funeral parlor ads over the urinals in the men's rooms. I already have my arrangements made. If I reference that I saw the ad in the pisser at the Fargo Dome I get 15% off.

sarge965
January 4th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Try Babe's Chicken Dinner House - excellent fried chicken and chicken fried steak

CockyGeek
January 4th, 2017, 01:52 PM
All the Shoney's around here closed. My dad used to drag me to a variety of buffets when I was a kid because I could eat for free.

RabidRabbit
January 4th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Currently a Frisco based Rabbit that is looking forward to meeting Guin and Duke fans (as well as any other FCS fans) before, during and after game. Very hyped about catching this national championship live.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
January 4th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Currently a Frisco based Rabbit that is looking forward to meeting Guin and Duke fans (as well as any other FCS fans) before, during and after game. Very hyped about catching this national championship live.

Dude I didnt know you moved down there.

RabidRabbit
January 4th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Still in transit from New Orleans area to Denton. Keep getting flooded back into Louisiana. Which defines my day job.

McNeese72
January 4th, 2017, 05:13 PM
That is one of the charms of living in the South, if you don't like the weather wait a few minutes it will change.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My biggest question, when I leave my office after a work day lately, is do I put on the A/C or the heat overnight.

Doc

TheRevSFA
January 4th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Still in transit from New Orleans area to Denton. Keep getting flooded back into Louisiana. Which defines my day job.

Welcome to Texas. Let me know if you make the visit down to Galveston

McNeese75
January 5th, 2017, 08:50 AM

I think The Allman Bros used you for inspiration. xnodx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VxoXn-0Ezs

I met you in Tampa at the first MSU vs USF game, missed you in New Orleans and now you keep on Ramblin xthumbsupx

NDSUtk
January 5th, 2017, 12:40 PM
My biggest question, when I leave my office after a work day lately, is do I put on the A/C or the heat overnight.

Doc
Similar to Fargo right now. Out at lunch and it's warmed up to negative 5. Debated throwing the AC or heat on.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Damn now I feel like I'm missing out by not booking a room at the motel 6.

Better yet do a Microtel Inn www.microtelinn.com

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Shoney's is the K-Mart of chain restaurants. I never understand how it's still in business.

They tried in Philly/South Jersey area with a handful opened in early 90s (about 25 years ago) and closed by the mid 90s.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2017, 03:38 PM
But getting back to the heart of the thread, :D word is that new Krispy Kreme was originally shooting for a pre Xmas opening, and when they couldn't hit that moved everything back to around the middle of January. Wouldn't know it to look at me, but I'm really not a donut guy. But grew up on Krispy Kreme in Richmond. If you like em sweet, this is a good option.

Decided to do Frisco at the 11th hour. So most importantly, where do I want to go for celebratory or eating away the pain bbq after the game? Currently leaning toward Lockhart's in Plano.

Is that Daddy Bonz in Plano still open right off NDT? I ate there when I was at the NDSU game in 2012. It had just opened around mid December a few weeks earlier. Very excellent!

Bisonoline
January 5th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Is that Daddy Bonz in Plano still open right off NDT? I ate there when I was at the NDSU game in 2012. It had just opened around mid December a few weeks earlier. Very excellent!

You mean bone daddy. It was open last year.

Cocky
January 6th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Will the NCAA put a stop to Doin Frisco if the Texas bathroom bill passes?

Pards Rule
January 6th, 2017, 08:45 AM
You mean bone daddy. It was open last year.

Thanks for the correction. OMG it was excellent!!

cx500d
January 6th, 2017, 10:27 AM

Hutchins in McKinney. Lockharts is overpriced

BisonTru
January 6th, 2017, 11:23 AM
https://www.facebook.com/WildPitchSportsBar/videos/1386526344711360/

https://www.facebook.com/WildPitchSportsBar/videos/1386526344711360/

dewey
January 6th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Hutchins in McKinney.

Agreed. See post #2 in this thread.

Dewey

Daytripper
January 6th, 2017, 12:08 PM

Will you be wearing Rabbit gear? If so, I will look for you.

DFW HOYA
January 6th, 2017, 12:29 PM

Pecan Lodge, Dallas. Arguably the #3 barbecue in the entire state.

Harrisonburger
January 6th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Hutchins in McKinney. Lockharts is overpriced

Sitting in the airport in Richmond. Yeah, we may go with Hutchins, but a) those Lockhart deviled eggs look good, and b) more importantly, no bar at Hutchins. xdrunkyx

RabidRabbit
January 6th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Will you be wearing Rabbit gear? If so, I will look for you.

Yes. Decked out in royal blue and yellow capped by yellow Rabbit cap will also have JACKS car flag.

Daytripper
January 6th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Sitting in the airport in Richmond. Yeah, we may go with Hutchins, but a) those Lockhart deviled eggs look good, and b) more importantly, no bar at Hutchins. xdrunkyx

Hope you have a safe flight and brought some warm clothes.

Harrisonburger
January 6th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Hope you have a safe flight and brought some warm clothes.
Hope so too. :D And yes. But after the game against you guys, much less Fargo, I think I got that one as far as warm clothes.

dewey
January 6th, 2017, 01:06 PM

Last year we brought booze into with us. Not saying it is allowed all the time but we did and no one said anything.

Have a great time and safe travels to you.

Dewey

Daytripper
January 6th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Last year we brought booze into with us. Not saying it is allowed all the time but we did and no one said anything.

Have a great time and safe travels to you.

Dewey

Plastic flasks are a wonderful thing...

Daytripper
January 6th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Yes. Decked out in royal blue and yellow capped by yellow Rabbit cap will also have JACKS car flag.

I'm interested in seeing how many attendees from other FCS schools will be there wearing their gear...

cx500d
January 6th, 2017, 02:48 PM

That is true- no beer at Hutchins

cx500d
January 6th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I'm interested in seeing how many attendees from other FCS schools will be there wearing their gear...

Was going to go since I'm local, but I have to attend a funeral for a friend in DC so flying out now

Harrisonburger
January 6th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Plastic flasks are a wonderful thing...

Made it to Charlotte. Flight to Dallas scheduled out in a half hour.

The thing is, I expect the flask(s) to be empty when the game is over and I'll need nourishment. Yes, I know they have liquor stores in Texas. I expect one way or another I'll get it figured out.

Go Dukes!

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Made it to Charlotte. Flight to Dallas scheduled out in a half hour.

The thing is, I expect the flask(s) to be empty when the game is over and I'll need nourishment. Yes, I know they have liquor stores in Texas. I expect one way or another I'll get it figured out.

Go Dukes!

The goal is for you to drink the surrounding towns dry. If you can do that, Frisco will go head over heels for you.

cx500d
January 6th, 2017, 06:27 PM
The goal is for you to drink the surrounding towns dry. If you can do that, Frisco will go head over heels for you.

Just got off my flight from dfw to DC Reagan. Lots of jmu fans were waiting for the return back to dfw. That puts them into dfw a little late to drink and carouse, but I wished them luck.

POD Knows
January 6th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Just saw a FB post from the Wild Pitch from a few hours ago, mostly Bison fans.

BirdFan 4Life
January 6th, 2017, 10:55 PM
Was just at Wild Pitch...lotta Youngstown boyz in the house. JMU and Youngstown flags hung and waitresses rocking the color schemes. Good showing for FCS in Frisco.

Saw a Bizon fan wearing the horned tundra hat. I bet there are 1,000 NDSU fans at the game tomorrow.

TheRevSFA
January 6th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Bummed to miss tomorrow as a buddy of mine from the island who is a YSU guy made the trip but I hope y'all enjoy

I plan on returning next year

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2017, 01:07 AM
Love the thread guys so you down there at the game please throw up some pics and keep documenting the trips etc. like we've had done in the past if you would.

I doubt anyone there is reading this but I sincerely hope you are having a great time there.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2017, 01:08 AM
Also get pics of the other teams repped that are not in the game. I know of a Griz fan, a RabidRabbit, and many NDSU fans it sounds like.

Bearkat04
January 7th, 2017, 07:18 AM
Good luck to both sides. If you have to drive be careful. Keep in mind that the majority of Texans don't really know how to drive in icy conditions and we don't have the salt trucks available that you northerners are used to. Enjoy Frisco

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Was just at Wild Pitch...lotta Youngstown boyz in the house. JMU and Youngstown flags hung and waitresses rocking the color schemes. Good showing for FCS in Frisco.

Saw a Bizon fan wearing the horned tundra hat. I bet there are 1,000 NDSU fans at the game tomorrow.

A buddy of mine is down there for the game, seeing more than a few Bison fans roaming around.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the ignore feature is awesome on here...should have done it long ago......

TheRevSFA
January 7th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Good luck to both sides. If you have to drive be careful. Keep in mind that the majority of Texans don't really know how to drive in icy conditions and we don't have the salt trucks available that you northerners are used to. Enjoy Frisco

The majority of Texans don't know how to drive period.....

Bearkat04
January 7th, 2017, 09:03 AM
The majority of Texans don't know how to drive period.....

Accurate statement. I put about 55k miles on my truck every year and find myself pissed off everyday due to idiotic behavior on the road. Stupid mouth breathers

BisonFan02
January 7th, 2017, 10:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miXMWJyOdgw

BisonFan02
January 7th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Just saw a FB post from the Wild Pitch from a few hours ago, mostly Bison fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Dtn5_F3Us

Bisonoline
January 7th, 2017, 11:47 PM

The good thing is there is real good chance that you wont ever have to go there to watch your team play.xthumbsupx

POD Knows
January 8th, 2017, 04:23 PM
The good thing is there is real good chance that you wont ever have to go there to watch your team play.xthumbsupx

He wouldn't go anyway, he is a cloistered east coast elitist. xcoffeex

BucBisonAtLarge
January 8th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Being the spouse of a YSU grad who has been to every championship game, we made the trek to Frisco to keep the record intact. We had a great time and I would gladly do it again.

penguinpower
January 9th, 2017, 04:40 AM
Met some cool Bison fans at the game. I had a great time outside of the obnoxious JMU fans. I also had to break up a couple of scuffles in my section because the JMU fans were running their mouths like children.

DirtyDukes
January 9th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Met some cool Bison fans at the game. I had a great time outside of the obnoxious JMU fans. I also had to break up a couple of scuffles in my section because the JMU fans were running their mouths like children.

BRO U MAD?

Hard Eight was the best brisket I ever had in my life. British Lion was great although a little understaffed.

We had a couple of YSU fans in the bar before the game and they were friendly. Refused a shot with us, though, which was strange. Didn't see any YSU fans in the game at all.

Dirtdog
January 9th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Returned yesterday from the game and obviously happy with the outcome and the time I got to spend with my daughter, who attends JMU (I played football there many years ago, and got to play in a playoff game, although a loss). Here are my impressions.

I live in Virginia and my hometown is over 250 years old. I suppose Frisco is nice if you like retail stores, toll roads, and chain restaurants. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like, but no character to the 'city' at all. It seems like they put every architectural feature (turret, stone, brick, Tudor timbers, gables, columns, etc.) in a hat and picked 6 or 7 out for every building. It seemed like such a hodgepodge of styles that it didn't seem particularly 'Texas,' or even particularly anything - just like someone thought castles were cool so let's make apartment buildings that have castle features, but not too many, because they also liked porches. My daughter was amazed at the presence of every local, regional and national chain restaurant, but at the scarcity of grocery stores beyond the ones attached to Walmart and Target. There must be a Wegman's, Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market equivalent, but we saw one Kroger and the aforementioned retail attached stores. We were told by a couple of locals that people eat out all the time, so that may explain the disparity.

Hutchins BBQ was amazing - ate their twice in 2 days. Best I've ever had.

People were not particularly nice, or mean, or anything - just people. Most of the service/retail/restaurant people we encountered were not particularly friendly, nor were they unfriendly. My daughter was horrified that I would talk too much to people (I'm known for that), but these people had little interest in talking. Most of the local people I talked to were not from Frisco, or Dallas, or even Texas, and they all had mixed feelings about where they lived - loving the access to stuff, but also referencing the lack of character of the place.

The Youngstown State people I met all seemed to either have a chip on their shoulder or were just happy to be there, knowing they were probably going to lose. The ones with chips were obnoxious, loud, and arrogant, the rest were friendly and gracious. I got called "liberal" by several of the loud ones - not sure why or what the significance was at a football game - I'm not sure if it was because I have a job and am not angry at everything that is not like me, or if I was somehow putting off hippie vibes, despite being very bald.

I liked the stadium, but not the announcer, video boards, scoreboard, and general hype atmosphere. They just seemed cheap and inadequate for a game of this importance. I think we are spoiled at JMU by the whole gameday experience.

I think a lot of JMU fans were also obnoxious - I never think it is okay to make a mess for others to clean up, and while that wasn't limited to JMU (the YSU tailgate areas were just as bad after the game), the sheer volume of JMU fans made the mess look out of control. I did apologize to a couple of the stadium workers and they said they didn't mind the streamers and the lots "couldn't be worse" than previous years. One said he was actually happy with the streamers because it meant overtime. I do think the stadium people screwed up by not having nearly enough trash cans or recycling bins - not sure what they were thinking. Still, I don't like messes at JMU, and I don't like them away from home.

I sat (stood) next to an idiot from NDSU (everyplace has their idiots) who would scream "Cheaters!!" every time a penalty was called on YSU. I wasn't sure of his angle - if he thought they were cheating by committing penalties or if he thought the refs were cheating. Then he started yelling "Get 'em Bo!!!" over and over when Pellini was ranting about something or other, so I guess he didn't like the officials. When the YSU quarterback threw the football at Gage Steele's head after he sacked him, he said "throw it again!," so I guess his idea of fairplay only extends so far. I have drifted over to the NDSU boards and have been amused at the theories by some, certainly not all, that the JMU weed suspensions (and that's what they almost all were) were an advantage because they dull pain and players can therefore play harder. I guess that's why we give weed to our soldiers, so they can fight on without pain. Wait, we don't? At the game, I witnessed numerous JMU people giving deference to NDSU people on their run and atmosphere, yet online I see NDSU people talking about how they did everything better - they drank more, they tailgated better, the people in Frisco loved them more, etc. The Frisco people (food servers, hotel people) I talked to either didn't remember NDSU because they deal with so many people, tournaments, concerts, and soccer events, or because there is a lot of turnover in those fields and they were probably still in high school last year. I think NDSU people need to acknowledge that it is not 'their' game, Frisco didn't miss them, and they had their run, but it's over. Other schools should honor that accomplishment as well. Likewise, JMU people need to be realistic that it takes a lot to get back, and it is no certainty, and much more likely, that our team will probably not be back for a few years. Appreciate this year, be hopeful for next year, but don't assume anything.

Finally, it's a game - an awesome game that I played for almost 30 years counting youth, middle school, high school, college, and semi-pro. But it's a game, played by young men that I would probably not let borrow my car. JMU fans aren't great, or terrible; YSU fans are good people and bad people, the refs aren't crooked, the NCAA does their best, and in the grand scheme of things, who won on Saturday changed very few lives, and the ones it did change are not on this, or any board.

POD Knows
January 9th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Returned yesterday from the game and obviously happy with the outcome and the time I got to spend with my daughter, who attends JMU (I played football there many years ago, and got to play in a playoff game, although a loss). Here are my impressions.

I live in Virginia and my hometown is over 250 years old. I suppose Frisco is nice if you like retail stores, toll roads, and chain restaurants. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like, but no character to the 'city' at all. It seems like they put every architectural feature (turret, stone, brick, Tudor timbers, gables, columns, etc.) in a hat and picked 6 or 7 out for every building. It seemed like such a hodgepodge of styles that it didn't seem particularly 'Texas,' or even particularly anything - just like someone thought castles were cool so let's make apartment buildings that have castle features, but not too many, because they also liked porches. My daughter was amazed at the presence of every local, regional and national chain restaurant, but at the scarcity of grocery stores beyond the ones attached to Walmart and Target. There must be a Wegman's, Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market equivalent, but we saw one Kroger and the aforementioned retail attached stores. We were told by a couple of locals that people eat out all the time, so that may explain the disparity.

People were not particularly nice, or mean, or anything - just people. Most of the service/retail/restaurant people we encountered were not particularly friendly, nor were they unfriendly. My daughter was horrified that I would talk too much to people (I'm known for that), but these people had little interest in talking. Most of the local people I talked to were not from Frisco, or Dallas, or even Texas, and they all had mixed feelings about where they lived - loving the access to stuff, but also referencing the lack of character of the place.

The Youngstown State people I met all seemed to either have a chip on their shoulder or were just happy to be there, knowing they were probably going to lose. The ones with chips were obnoxious, loud, and arrogant, the rest were friendly and gracious. I got called "liberal" by several of the loud ones - not sure why or what the significance was at a football game - I'm not sure if it was because I have a job and am not angry at everything that is not like me, or if I was somehow putting off hippie vibes, despite being very bald.

I liked the stadium, but not the announcer, video boards, scoreboard, and general hype atmosphere. They just seemed cheap and inadequate for a game of this importance. I think we are spoiled at JMU by the whole gameday experience.

I think a lot of JMU fans were also obnoxious - I never think it is okay to make a mess for others to clean up, and while that wasn't limited to JMU (the YSU tailgate areas were just as bad after the game), the sheer volume of JMU fans made the mess look out of control. I did apologize to a couple of the stadium workers and they said they didn't mind the streamers and the lots "couldn't be worse" than previous years. One said he was actually happy with the streamers because it meant overtime. I do think the stadium people screwed up by not having nearly enough trash cans or recycling bins - not sure what they were thinking. Still, I don't like messes at JMU, and I don't like them away from home.

I sat (stood) next to an idiot from NDSU (everyplace has their idiots) who would scream "Cheaters!!" every time a penalty was called on YSU. I wasn't sure of his angle - if he thought they were cheating by committing penalties or if he thought the refs were cheating. Then he started yelling "Get 'em Bo!!!" over and over when Pellini was ranting about something or other, so I guess he didn't like the officials. When the YSU quarterback threw the football at Gage Steele's head after he sacked him, he said "throw it again!," so I guess his idea of fairplay only extends so far. I have drifted over to the NDSU boards and have been amused at the theories by some, certainly not all, that the JMU weed suspensions (and that's what they almost all were) were an advantage because they dull pain and players can therefore play harder. I guess that's why we give weed to our soldiers, so they can fight on without pain. Wait, we don't? At the game, I witnessed numerous JMU people giving deference to NDSU people on their run and atmosphere, yet online I see NDSU people talking about how they did everything better - they drank more, they tailgated better, the people in Frisco loved them more, etc. The Frisco people (food servers, hotel people) I talked to either didn't remember NDSU because they deal with so many people, tournaments, concerts, and soccer events, or because there is a lot of turnover in those fields and they were probably still in high school last year. I think NDSU people need to acknowledge that it is not 'their' game, Frisco didn't miss them, and they had their run, but it's over. Other schools should honor that accomplishment as well. Likewise, JMU people need to be realistic that it takes a lot to get back, and it is no certainty, and much more likely, that our team will probably not be back for a few years. Appreciate this year, be hopeful for next year, but don't assume anything.

Finally, it's a game - an awesome game that I played for almost 30 years counting youth, middle school, high school, college, and semi-pro. But it's a game, played by young men that I would probably not let borrow my car. JMU fans aren't great, or terrible; YSU fans are good people and bad people, the refs aren't crooked, the NCAA does their best, and in the grand scheme of things, who won on Saturday changed very few lives, and the ones it did change are not on this, or any board.

Did the NDSU fan have grayish dark hair, combed back and glasses. He sounds like the douchebag that sits in our section at NDSU home games.

BTW, balanced and fair posts like this will get you nowhere. :D

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Called the Comfort Suites next to the stadium today to make reservations for next year. When she realized what I was making reservations for she said---we sure hope you folks come back this next year. It was bad. We had 33 rooms that were open.

caribbeanhen
January 9th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Did the NDSU fan have grayish dark hair, combed back and glasses. He sounds like the douchebag that sits in our section at NDSU home games.

Dirtdog just hit a grand slam just for telling the truth

Dirtdog
January 9th, 2017, 01:27 PM

He did have glasses, was probably mid forties to early fifties, but had a hat so not sure of hair. I know he was not representative because I had good experiences with the other Bison fans I met.

I'm a high school football coach and have never understood the sheer craziness that goes on with a lot of 'fans' - I try to look at everything objectively - don't always succeed, but every opponent has a mother and father and probably sisters and brothers and others that love them. We all have bad days, and I hope I am not judged on my worst moments. Often, those players we hate on other teams because they are 'dirty' are 'tough' when they're on our team. The 'showboat' has 'passion' when they're ours, and the other teams 'jerk' fans are just 'passionate' when they are ours. Realistically. some of our jerks are just jerks, and some of our idiots are just idiots - I usually give them enough time to prove themselves, but the fact that we went to the same school at the same or different times doesn't mean I have to defend the indefensible. I probably wouldn't have liked them in school, either.

I have been reading here a while, but haven't posted because I have no desire to get drawn into any nonsense - I guess I don't understand what some people get from those kinds of arguments.

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2017, 01:28 PM

Yep good post.
When we went down we went 2-3 days early so we could actually relax and not be on a schedule except where we wanted to eat. Getting there early gave us time time to really talk to the locals. It was amazing how many managers and customers would stop at our table to talk with us. The interesting part it just wasnt idle prattle. They were very engaging and interested if where we were from and what we had to say. But also wished us well and if there anything we needed that we besure and call them and they would give us their numbers. Never been anyplace like that.

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2017, 01:44 PM
He did have glasses, was probably mid forties to early fifties, but had a hat so not sure of hair. I know he was not representative because I had good experiences with the other Bison fans I met.

I'm a high school football coach and have never understood the sheer craziness that goes on with a lot of 'fans' - I try to look at everything objectively - don't always succeed, but every opponent has a mother and father and probably sisters and brothers and others that love them. We all have bad days, and I hope I am not judged on my worst moments. Often, those players we hate on other teams because they are 'dirty' are 'tough' when they're on our team. The 'showboat' has 'passion' when they're ours, and the other teams 'jerk' fans are just 'passionate' when they are ours. Realistically. some of our jerks are just jerks, and some of our idiots are just idiots - I usually give them enough time to prove themselves, but the fact that we went to the same school at the same or different times doesn't mean I have to defend the indefensible. I probably wouldn't have liked them in school, either.

I have been reading here a while, but haven't posted because I have no desire to get drawn into any nonsense - I guess I don't understand what some people get from those kinds of arguments.

Ive been to some of our away games and Ive been absolutely embarrassed by the behavior of some of our fans. I get the passion. I dont get the stupidity or douchebaggery either here or at the game.

abc123
January 9th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Called the Comfort Suites next to the stadium today to make reservations for next year. When she realized what I was making reservations for she said---we sure hope you folks come back this next year. It was bad. We had 33 rooms that were open.
Guessing a big part of that is there were a lot of rooms that had previously been booked and then cancelled last minute or after other people had already made travel plans. Not the hotel's fault but once people had their plans, doubt they kept looking to see if any other rooms had opened up due to cancellations.

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Guessing a big part of that is there were a lot of rooms that had previously been booked and then cancelled last minute or after other people had already made travel plans. Not the hotel's fault but once people had their plans, doubt they kept looking to see if any other rooms had opened up due to cancellations.

You now supposedly have 14000 new people traveling to frisco. Those rooms had a 2 week cancel policy. You telling me JMU and YSU made there travel plans that far in advance?

whitey
January 9th, 2017, 02:16 PM
It makes no difference that one hotel out of dozens (or hundreds if you count the whole metro area) had 33 empty rooms. Maybe JMU & YSU fans stayed at different hotels than Bison fans frequent. That's the most likely explanation.

ysubigred
January 9th, 2017, 02:26 PM
It makes no difference that one hotel out of dozens (or hundreds if you count the whole metro area) had 33 empty rooms. Maybe JMU & YSU fans stayed at different hotels than Bison fans frequent. That's the most likely explanation.

I don't know about you Whitey, but I think JMU and YSU did one hell of a job filling up the place considering the distance we had to travel plus the cold ass teen degrees (weather)!! xbowx

whitey
January 9th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I don't know about you Whitey, but I think JMU and YSU did one hell of a job filling up the place considering the distance we had to travel plus the cold ass teen degrees (weather)!! xbowx

It was a great turnout. Tailgating Saturday AM was brutal till the adult beverages kicked in.

ysubigred
January 9th, 2017, 02:38 PM
It was a great turnout. Tailgating Saturday AM was brutal till the adult beverages kicked in.

I agree! We were set up and operational (2 tents) by 07:00. 1st shot of Angles Envy by 07:25 xdrunkyx

caribbeanhen
January 9th, 2017, 02:50 PM
watched the game on TV, not a lot of wide angle shots that I saw but from what I could see the stadium looked pretty full if not packed full...

ysubigred
January 9th, 2017, 02:54 PM
watched the game on TV, not a lot of wide angle shots that I saw but from what I could see the stadium looked pretty full if not packed full...

The stadium was 98% full! Credit JMU!! About 70% Purple

Daytripper
January 9th, 2017, 02:58 PM

Yeah, at least 70%, maybe 75% purple. Most all of the fans I ran in to were cool. Some of the JMU folks are not trained professional drinkers, though.....there were some HAMMERED Dukes.....

ysubigred
January 9th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Yeah, at least 70%, maybe 75% purple. Most all of the fans I ran in to were cool. Some of the JMU folks are not trained professional drinkers, though.....there were some HAMMERED Dukes.....

Damn!! I'd like to met you! YSU fans are seasoned drunks LOL!!

caribbeanhen
January 9th, 2017, 04:29 PM

glad to hear it.

dewey
January 9th, 2017, 04:39 PM

Good to hear that Hutchins was good to you. Sounds like you had a great time with your daughter at the game.

Dewey

dewey
January 9th, 2017, 04:40 PM

The stadium looked full from the broadcast. On another note the stadium looked weird with no seating in the South endzone due to construction.

Dewey

abc123
January 9th, 2017, 04:48 PM
You now supposedly have 14000 new people traveling to frisco. Those rooms had a 2 week cancel policy. You telling me JMU and YSU made there travel plans that far in advance?
Considering that the semi-finals were 3 weeks before the finals, then I don't find it real far-fetched to believe that plenty of people made their travel plans before rooms that ended up being cancelled opened up. Who knows what the other reasons for them having available rooms was. Guessing having a big portion of the stadium unavailable didn't help either.

mcveyrl
January 9th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Good to hear that Hutchins was good to you. Sounds like you had a great time with your daughter at the game.

Dewey

Another vote for Hutchins here. We got a load of it to go since we had a large party and brought it back to the hotel Friday night. We had a SPREAD! Three pounds of brisket, two half chickens (yes, that is technically a whole chicken, but I digress), jalapeño pinto beans, mac and cheese, stuffed jalapeños, potato casserole...it was incredible.

Also ate Sat. night at La Hacienda Ranch. Really good TexMex.

mcveyrl
January 9th, 2017, 04:52 PM
The stadium looked full from the broadcast. On another note the stadium looked weird with no seating in the South endzone due to construction.

Dewey

There was seating. It was just dirt and occupied by three or four guys in neon vests...

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Another vote for Hutchins here. We got a load of it to go since we had a large party and brought it back to the hotel Friday night. We had a SPREAD! Three pounds of brisket, two half chickens (yes, that is technically a whole chicken, but I digress), jalapeño pinto beans, mac and cheese, stuffed jalapeños, potato casserole...it was incredible.

Also ate Sat. night at La Hacienda Ranch. Really good TexMex.

Yep Hutchins is the real deal.

cx500d
January 9th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Agree 100% on your assessment of the City of Frisco and its Architecture. You are flat our correct there is no style or character. It is North Dallas Urban sprawl at its best or worst. 20 years ago Frisco was a postage stamp rural town surrounded by Farms and Ranches. The developers came in and slapped that crap up faster than Mach 2, then later when the traffic was gridlocked on two lane asphalt rural roads, somebody came up with the great idea to build roads. Turrets, columns, two story entrances with outside porch lights so high up people are afraid to turn them on because they have no way to change the lightbulbs out - This architecture is stupid, gaudy, and cookie cutter. I live in a rural "town" about 20 or 30 miles away from Frisco with minimum 2 acre lots, we have some of that gaudy architecture too, but to a much lesser extent since the homes were built one at a time by various custom builders (no two houses the same) vice subdivision at a time with 3 basic models per subdivision like Frisco. I lived in Maine while on active duty, and I rented a house built in 1738; drafty, took a ton of fuel oil to heat in winter, but what character and views. I'll never retire in TX, I'll give you that. That said, for a quick trip like a Natty, there is a ton of restaurants, bars, and hotels, which is pretty much all that anybody has time for anyway.

I flew to DC Reagan Airport Friday night and landed ~ 7pm, and there was essentially a planeload of JMU fans in purple waiting for that plane for the return flight; I wished them luck as I got off the plane, flashing my "Drive for 5" luggage tag they handed out at our pep rally last year. They wouldn't have got in to DFW until ~ 9pm, maybe 10 pm by the time they got to Frisco if they were lucky. Game at 1100 the next day, they didn't have time to do anything except pound a few drinks down so they could get up and hit the tailgates and team welcomes.

However, your assessment that the people in Frisco don't know who the Bison are is incorrect. Anytime I wear my Bison gear at a bar or restaurant, I get tons of comments from the waitstaff, bartenders, shop managers about how they love the Bison migration every year, and how the Bison are such polite drunks, etc. I get those comments ALL THE TIME.

I'm glad you liked Hutchins BBQ. Not sure if you hit Frisco or the main one in McKinney, but the last time I was there ~ Christmas, I went with my Yankee family visiting from up north while wearing my NDSU ballcap. I had three different workers (Pitmaster, two meatcutters) console me on the NDSU loss and said they would miss them this year while I was in line - they brought it up, I didn't. I told them a number of Bison Alums have put the word out to JMU/YSU on the various Forums so hopefully they will see some new people; glad you followed the advice. They actually watched the game, and they have no ties to the school except a 5 year stretch of fans wearing green or yellow coats descending on them for one weekend a year.

Overall, a good summary.

ValleyTalk
January 9th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Frisco and the other affluent northern suburbs were awesome. The NCAA has the title in the right spot. Great work to everyone involved that made it a great experience. xthumbsupx

Dirtdog
January 9th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Agree 100% on your assessment of the City of Frisco and its Architecture. You are flat our correct there is no style or character. It is North Dallas Urban sprawl at its best or worst. 20 years ago Frisco was a postage stamp rural town surrounded by Farms and Ranches. The developers came in and slapped that crap up faster than Mach 2, then later when the traffic was gridlocked on two lane asphalt rural roads, somebody came up with the great idea to build roads. Turrets, columns, two story entrances with outside porch lights so high up people are afraid to turn them on because they have no way to change the lightbulbs out - This architecture is stupid, gaudy, and cookie cutter. I live in a rural "town" about 20 or 30 miles away from Frisco with minimum 2 acre lots, we have some of that gaudy architecture too, but to a much lesser extent since the homes were built one at a time by various custom builders (no two houses the same) vice subdivision at a time with 3 basic models per subdivision like Frisco. I lived in Maine while on active duty, and I rented a house built in 1738; drafty, took a ton of fuel oil to heat in winter, but what character and views. I'll never retire in TX, I'll give you that. That said, for a quick trip like a Natty, there is a ton of restaurants, bars, and hotels, which is pretty much all that anybody has time for anyway.

I flew to DC Reagan Airport Friday night and landed ~ 7pm, and there was essentially a planeload of JMU fans in purple waiting for that plane for the return flight; I wished them luck as I got off the plane, flashing my "Drive for 5" luggage tag they handed out at our pep rally last year. They wouldn't have got in to DFW until ~ 9pm, maybe 10 pm by the time they got to Frisco if they were lucky. Game at 1100 the next day, they didn't have time to do anything except pound a few drinks down so they could get up and hit the tailgates and team welcomes.

However, your assessment that the people in Frisco don't know who the Bison are is incorrect. Anytime I wear my Bison gear at a bar or restaurant, I get tons of comments from the waitstaff, bartenders, shop managers about how they love the Bison migration every year, and how the Bison are such polite drunks, etc. I get those comments ALL THE TIME.

I'm glad you liked Hutchins BBQ. Not sure if you hit Frisco or the main one in McKinney, but the last time I was there ~ Christmas, I went with my Yankee family visiting from up north while wearing my NDSU ballcap. I had three different workers (Pitmaster, two meatcutters) console me on the NDSU loss and said they would miss them this year while I was in line - they brought it up, I didn't. I told them a number of Bison Alums have put the word out to JMU/YSU on the various Forums so hopefully they will see some new people; glad you followed the advice. They actually watched the game, and they have no ties to the school except a 5 year stretch of fans wearing green or yellow coats descending on them for one weekend a year.

Overall, a good summary.

Remember, I'm a sample size of one (well, two with my daughter.) I only talked to a few people about why we were there, and they are the ones who didn't know who JMU was, what FCS was, or who NDSU were. In our world, this was a big thing, in their world, we are another group. I'm sure there were not only people who missed and remembered NDSU in general, but missed and remembered individual Bison fans - I just didn't meet them. I would assume next year they won't remember JMU fans unless they either tipped really big or acted like major jerks. Nothing I say should (ever) be taken as fact, it's just my view from my corner of the world. I also hope not to come off as negative about Frisco - just not my preference for a place to live, but I would imagine most of those people would struggle where I live. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla (and all the other flavors.)

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Remember, I'm a sample size of one (well, two with my daughter.) I only talked to a few people about why we were there, and they are the ones who didn't know who JMU was, what FCS was, or who NDSU were. In our world, this was a big thing, in their world, we are another group. I'm sure there were not only people who missed and remembered NDSU in general, but missed and remembered individual Bison fans - I just didn't meet them. I would assume next year they won't remember JMU fans unless they either tipped really big or acted like major jerks. Nothing I say should (ever) be taken as fact, it's just my view from my corner of the world. I also hope not to come off as negative about Frisco - just not my preference for a place to live, but I would imagine most of those people would struggle where I live. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla (and all the other flavors.)

I would never think of living there. But it sure is a nice visit if you like good food and football. Plus there is some outstanding fishing and hunting in that state as well.

cx500d
January 9th, 2017, 10:25 PM

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to live in this area either, but I like my work and that's the only thing keeping me here. I couldn't live in frisco proper either; the only reason I can stomach ithe area is because I have a small spread outside the sprawl vice a development with 20 houses per acre. I do like the ability to choose from all kinds of restaurants and bars though.

Harrisonburger
January 10th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Besides echoing a lot of the other comments, let me give a shout out to Lockhart's. I asked for some advice on this and for one reason or another ignored the urging to go to Hutchins. I'm willing to accept that Hutchins is the better value, bigger selection, etc. I'll just say that I'll have to hit Hutchins next time I'm there, if for no other reason then if their brisket is better than Lockhart's, then D*MN! Didn't realize how small Lockhart's is, which means i not only could order whiskey to help wash down the brisket, but I didn't have to walk far to do it.:). And it got us into Plano, which a lot of NDSU fans in Fargo had told us was a good alternative to Frisco. Won't argue with that.

Bisonoline
January 10th, 2017, 01:15 AM
Besides echoing a lot of the other comments, let me give a shout out to Lockhart's. I asked for some advice on this and for one reason or another ignored the urging to go to Hutchins. I'm willing to accept that Hutchins is the better value, bigger selection, etc. I'll just say that I'll have to hit Hutchins next time I'm there, if for no other reason then if their brisket is better than Lockhart's, then D*MN! Didn't realize how small Lockhart's is, which means i not only could order whiskey to help wash down the brisket, but I didn't have to walk far to do it.:). And it got us into Plano, which a lot of NDSU fans in Fargo had told us was a good alternative to Frisco. Won't argue with that.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/plnwtf/20150107_141235.jpeg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/plnwtf/media/20150107_141235.jpeg.html)

Ate there last year. Those deviled eggs have got a kick. Brisket was damn good but Ive got to give the nod to Hutchins on the brisket.

Cocky
January 10th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Guys, you need to take a vacation to Lockhart, TX and the surrounding area to just eat BBQ. You will eat some fine BBQ and wish you could eat more.

Just for the record, I'm a firm believe in you cant compare Texas BBQ to Memphis, Alabama, Carolina, KC or any other area's establishments each should be judged against the ones in their area.

Harrisonburger
January 10th, 2017, 06:56 AM
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/plnwtf/20150107_141235.jpeg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/plnwtf/media/20150107_141235.jpeg.html)

Ate there last year. Those deviled eggs have got a kick. Brisket was damn good but Ive got to give the nod to Hutchins on the brisket.

That's right! Forgot to mention the deviled eggs. Perhaps not as good a match with the whiskey as the brisket. :) But yes, damn good. Guess I'll just really have to commit to getting to Hutchins and making up my own mind if I'm ever lucky enough tomget back there.

cx500d
January 10th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Guys, you need to take a vacation to Lockhart, TX and the surrounding area to just eat BBQ. You will eat some fine BBQ and wish you could eat more.

Just for the record, I'm a firm believe in you cant compare Texas BBQ to Memphis, Alabama, Carolina, KC or any other area's establishments each should be judged against the ones in their area.

Yeah, hill country BBQ is as good as it gets. I think Hutchins replicates it well in north Dallas area, but you need an ice cold beer to truly enjoy Texas BBQ. My personal favorite in dfw is the Railhead Ft Worth, and they have big icy globes of beer. Didn't recommend it because it's way over on the west side of Fort Worth.

Agree that BBQ regions are just different in the way they do things. Everybody has their own preferences.

Panther88
January 10th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Shame on me. xsmhx

I should've recommended (and still do recommend) going to the "Babe's Chicken" shack in Frisco. Everyone is so caught up in the bbq craze and all should know that man cannot survive on beer/bbq alone. The Babe's experience is very unique and the food/homemade biscuits/homemade syrups are something that simply excites your senses. They use real butter in everything. :D

For those who visit in the future, google "Babe's Chicken Frisco" for directions. It's not that far from the stadium.

citdog
January 10th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Y'all have no idea what good BBQ even is. FYI it looks like this...

http://cf.selfproclaimedfoodie.com/wp-content/uploads/carolina-mustard-barbecue-sauce.jpg

POD Knows
January 10th, 2017, 01:28 PM

http://cf.selfproclaimedfoodie.com/wp-content/uploads/carolina-mustard-barbecue-sauce.jpg

That isn't BBQ, it looks like Queso dip. It would be good with doritos.

Panther88
January 10th, 2017, 01:55 PM

You're trying to start a riot? (nice mustard based sauce, btw :D )

citdog
January 10th, 2017, 02:30 PM
That isn't BBQ, it looks like Queso dip. It would be good with doritos.

You are from North Dakota. What would you know about BBQ.

Bisonoline
January 10th, 2017, 02:45 PM

Yep each area has its own style and each style has its own strong points. I like them all.

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2017, 02:53 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24351&stc=1

TheRevSFA
January 10th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Yeah, hill country BBQ is as good as it gets. I think Hutchins replicates it well in north Dallas area, but you need an ice cold beer to truly enjoy Texas BBQ. My personal favorite in dfw is the Railhead Ft Worth, and they have big icy globes of beer. Didn't recommend it because it's way over on the west side of Fort Worth.

Agree that BBQ regions are just different in the way they do things. Everybody has their own preferences.

It's always a great trip when I head out to New Braunfels for a weekend at the Guadalupe..always detour and stop off in Luling or Lockhart for some good BBQ, follow it up with some Coopers....

Daytripper
January 10th, 2017, 03:46 PM

I'm a huge mustard fan, so I MIGHT be able to get on board with this.... It looks good.

On the way back from Frisco, I stopped a Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville and bought a jar of jalapeno mustard....yum.

DFW HOYA
January 10th, 2017, 04:09 PM
You don't need sauce for good barbecue. One doesn't pour A-1 all over a prime steak.

citdog
January 10th, 2017, 04:12 PM
You don't need sauce for good barbecue. One doesn't pour A-1 all over a prime steak.

yankees know less about BBQ than people from North Dakota do.

Bison56
January 10th, 2017, 04:31 PM

Amen to that.

POD Knows
January 10th, 2017, 04:42 PM

I know how to find good BBQ, order it and pay for it.

BTW, I like Carolina Mustard Sauce if they use the right vinegar and don't over power it with the stuff.

Cocky
January 10th, 2017, 05:04 PM
This thread would be at home on gojaxstate. All thread lead to food or tailgating over there.

cx500d
January 10th, 2017, 05:07 PM

They have a ton of cattle in ND, they know how to cook it.

Daytripper
January 10th, 2017, 05:41 PM
There's always this, of course....

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-zeke-sandwich/?utm_content=bufferbcd81&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.tmbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Zeke-Sandwich-06.jpg

cx500d
January 10th, 2017, 05:46 PM

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-zeke-sandwich/?utm_content=bufferbcd81&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.tmbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Zeke-Sandwich-06.jpg

Oh yeah, the Coronary Combo with cheese.

citdog
January 11th, 2017, 12:00 AM
They have a ton of cattle in ND, they know how to cook it.

See y'all???? Dude thinks BBQ is made from beef.

I rest my case.

Bisonoline
January 11th, 2017, 12:05 AM
See y'all???? Dude thinks BBQ is made from beef.

I rest my case.

In reality BBQ isnt about the meat. Its the technique.

citdog
January 11th, 2017, 12:21 AM
In reality BBQ isnt about the meat. Its the technique.

If it ain't swine it ain't Q...

Bisonoline
January 11th, 2017, 12:30 AM

For those with limited tastes---yes

citdog
January 11th, 2017, 12:57 AM
For those with limited tastes---yes

The entire South, sans Texas, disagrees and as it is OUR thing we are right.

Bisonator
January 11th, 2017, 08:59 AM

Bologna? So they start with **** and build on it? No thanks!

POD Knows
January 11th, 2017, 09:04 AM

I am with you on this, pork is numero uno when it comes to BBQ and beef is a distant second.

Bison56
January 11th, 2017, 09:59 AM

Amen

TheRevSFA
January 11th, 2017, 10:09 AM
I am with you on this, pork is numero uno when it comes to BBQ and beef is a distant second.

I agree too. While Brisket is great..pork will always be my favorite

Just get rid of that **** mustard sauce from Carolina...

Bison56
January 11th, 2017, 10:16 AM

http://www.maximumpop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/uh-oh-gif.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwir64PQvrrRAhVp9YMKHfQhCRkQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcollegeismylife.com%2Fcmlstaff%2F 10-gifs-explaining-americas-reactions-2016-presidential-election-2%2F&bvm=bv.143423383,d.cGw&psig=AFQjCNEKX7Nqs0saJfUgd_XxlLFrm4-C_A&ust=1484237626167309)

Panther88
January 11th, 2017, 10:24 AM

+1. Smart man ^^^^^^^^.

Panther88
January 11th, 2017, 10:26 AM

Hold on, Rev! :D lol I think in order to appreciate it, you've gotta' make it yourself and then use it. I took someone's formula from here, enhanced it a smidget, and have used it every so often. The folks I feed absolutely love it.

TheRevSFA
January 11th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Hold on, Rev! :D lol I think in order to appreciate it, you've gotta' make it yourself and then use it. I took someone's formula from here, enhanced it a smidget, and have used it every so often. The folks I feed absolutely love it.

Well ****, invite a brother next time you make some for a tailgate

caribbeanhen
January 11th, 2017, 10:35 AM
do I have to post that picture of the swine again all you boys are Yankees from this latitude

Panther88
January 11th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Well ****, invite a brother next time you make some for a tailgate

Agreed. When PVAMU meets up w/ the brethren from ETx ala SFA, I'll fire the little small grill up and we'll make it do what it does. But do note, I've been known to put deer mea, errrrrrrr, I mean venison :D on the pit as well as pork and beef. :D What sayeth thou?

TheRevSFA
January 11th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Agreed. When PVAMU meets up w/ the brethren from ETx ala SFA, I'll fire the little small grill up and we'll make it do what it does. But do note, I've been known to put deer mea, errrrrrrr, I mean venison :D on the pit as well as pork and beef. :D What sayeth thou?

The only good deer is a dead one..

Daytripper
January 11th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Best of both worlds.....take beef or chicken and wrap it in bacon.... Problem solved.

Panther88
January 11th, 2017, 01:30 PM
The only good deer is a dead one..

Somebody identify a candidate downed tree for good post oak w/ a lil' seasoned pecan please. :D We have some backstrap to cook. :D

Bisonoline
January 11th, 2017, 02:23 PM

What Im trying to figure out is why all of the BBQ places Ive been to in the south(which is too many to count) why do they all serve brisket? Granted Im a pork guy but brisket and burnt ends are right up there as my favs.

citdog
January 11th, 2017, 03:00 PM
What Im trying to figure out is why all of the BBQ places Ive been to in the south(which is too many to count) why do they all serve brisket? Granted Im a pork guy but brisket and burnt ends are right up there as my favs.

You've been going to the wrong places.

http://wmbf.images.worldnow.com/images/18884764_BG1.jpg

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/7b/8d/57/schoolhouse-bar-b-que.jpg

Best BBQ place in the world.

cx500d
January 11th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Get a rope....

PurpleStreamers
January 12th, 2017, 09:56 AM

Need to get to the Carolinas where we actually know that BBQ is pig. And as opposed to some of those jokeshops in Frisco (Hard 8 comes to mind), it don't count if you're cooking over gas. That said, I did enjoy the hell out of the brisket at Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano.

Bisonoline
January 12th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Need to get to the Carolinas where we actually know that BBQ is pig. And as opposed to some of those jokeshops in Frisco (Hard 8 comes to mind), it don't count if you're cooking over gas. That said, I did enjoy the hell out of the brisket at Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano.

Ive eaten Q in the Carolinas and enjoyed it very much. One thing is for certain. Just because the Q comes from KC, TX, Memphis, Nashville or the Carolinas it doesnt mean its good. Ive had good, bad and great all over.

BTW FLA had the worst.

DirtyDukes
January 13th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Can we change this thread to BBQ thread?

PurpleStreamers
January 13th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Can we change this thread to BBQ thread?

No problem with that, but most of what I saw in Frisco wasn't any good either. For the record, the Frisco/Plano area was outstanding in terms of welcoming us and supporting the game, but good gosh, that stadium is hot garbage. Can't hear the bands from under that carport, obviously the joke of playing in a hard hat area this year, and the concessions, security, and parking were completely unprepared. But the beer-selling was pretty fantastic!

RootinFerDukes
January 13th, 2017, 08:36 AM
I enjoy bbq overall and will eat Carolina style but it is inferior to Texas style. That's just my opinion.
Hutchins BBQ in Frisco was the best BBQ I've ever had in my life. It'll be a Frisco tradition to go there.

RootinFerDukes
January 13th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I like Frisco overall other than the fact that its further than Chattanooga.
My only two complaints are that once you left Frisco, no one has a clue any game was going on (I expected this but ndsu fans made it seem like all of dfw cared). The stadium was awful and I hate to say it, but that's pretty important.
They ran out of beer on one side. Did no one tell them we were a party school?
Long concession lines that didn't move. I had to give up even trying to get anything from them. They appeared under staffed.
It was very difficult to move around the concourse because apparently 14k is too much for 2/3 of the stadium space to handle. It's better than being empty, I know.
The endzone construction was an eyesore. In addition to that making the stadium unqualified to host this year, we can't get a tarp or something to cover it up?
Finally, the blue lot had no portapotties in it and we had to walk to the other lots to access some. They handed out no trashbags and had no trash cans so they were left with a trashed parking lot.
It could've been worse, but talk about a completely unprepared stadium. It's like they haven't seen a 14k crowd in the last six years....

citdog
January 13th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I enjoy bbq overall and will eat Carolina style but it is inferior to Texas style

Wrong

- - - Updated - - -

My only two complaints are that once you left Frisco, no one has a clue any game was going on (I expected this but ndsu fans made it seem like all of dfw cared). The stadium was awful and I hate to say it, but that's pretty important.
Long concession lines that didn't move. I had to give up even trying to get anything from them. They appeared under staffed.
It was very difficult to move around the concourse because apparently 14k is too much for 2/3 of the stadium space to handle. It's better than being empty, I know.
The endzone construction was an eyesore. In addition to that making the stadium unqualified to host this year, we can't get a tarp or something to cover it up?
Finally, the blue lot had no portapotties in it and we had to walk to the other lots to access some. They handed out no trashbags and had no trash cans so they were left with a trashed parking lot.
It could've been worse, but talk about a completely unprepared stadium. It's like they haven't seen a 14k crowd in the last six years....

Whiny little bitch

POD Knows
January 13th, 2017, 09:56 AM

They were completed unprepared in 2011 when were at the stadium, no porta potties, garbage cans and the like. They did a lot better job in the subsequent years and I think they did a great job in the last two years for us, 2014 and 2015.

RootinFerDukes
January 13th, 2017, 10:30 AM
They were completed unprepared in 2011 when were at the stadium, no porta potties, garbage cans and the like. They did a lot better job in the subsequent years and I think they did a great job in the last two years for us, 2014 and 2015.

Yeah I give them a pass on the beer supply because it was their first year, but this is now the sixth consecutive year of seeing a crowd of at least 14,000. Being unprepared for it isn't an excuse anymore. Even in 2010, they had 13k between EWU and UD. I know these FCS title games are the largest crowds Toyota Stadium sees all year, even more than their FC Dallas games.

RootinFerDukes
January 13th, 2017, 10:38 AM
When do general admission tickets go on sale each year, or when did they go on sale this past year?

BisonTru
January 13th, 2017, 10:51 AM

First off, this was the first year they even sold beer to the general public, so I'd just be thankful you had the option.

I've been down there 4 times with 20K and never had much issue with the concourse.

I also don't know where any Bison fans lead you to believe the whole DFW area would be all excited about the game. It's 14K people coming to a city of 7.1 million. Frisco and the bars that I listed in the first post are pretty aware of the game. Outside of that even the opposite side of Plano really doesn't get much interest about the game.

The portapotties have been less than adequate all though it seems they have more every year. The first couple years were 10-20 people deep in the lines. You almost had to just grab a new beer and get back in line after you broke the seal.

The endzone did look pretty bad on TV. I think they didn't put a tarp up so those two construction workers could move around and collect the football after PATs. Should have put a net up and tarped it IMO, but it is what it is now.