PDA

View Full Version : EWU's Red Field

aust42
December 17th, 2016, 10:00 AM
I'm not an EWU hater but dam your field looks like a huge used Tampon. I cannot watch an EWU home game because that field is so annoying and burns my eyes so I'll be missing a great 1AA semi-final tonight. If my Delaware Bluehens did something like that they would lose me as a fan. How do EWU fans feel about that field?

kalm
December 17th, 2016, 10:12 AM
It's absolutely gorgeous and even better in person and it's definitely helped with branding the university and recruiting. A total win.

I've never really stared at a used tampon. Glad you have experience with this. xthumbsupx

100%GRIZ
December 17th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Never have liked the RED disgusting field. I agree it does hurt the eyes when trying to watch a game. Whoever made the choice to make the field red should find another job!

kalm
December 17th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Never have liked the RED disgusting field. I agree it does hurt the eyes when trying to watch a game. Whoever made the choice to make the field red should find another job!

Yeah well in the 7 years since that majestic rug has gone in we've won 5 BSC titles, had 2 undefeated conference seasons, 4 trips to the semis, one chipper, almost doubled attendance, and lead the state in enrollment increases. It ain't exactly hurting.

Perhaps you need to find another team!

(We're accepting applicants)

citdog
December 17th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Hard to deny the success. It really isn't bad looking in person...

thebootfitter
December 17th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I agree. On TV, I hate it. But in person, it really isn't bad at all.

Bison56
December 17th, 2016, 10:42 AM
It's easier on the eyes when it is pink, earlier in the year it takes some time to adjust because it is so bright on tv. I don't hate it but it seems to bring out a lot of hate in some.

Terry2889
December 17th, 2016, 10:50 AM
It looks worse in the snow on TV. Looks pink. I absolutely hate it. Sorry : (

- - - Updated - - -

Any progress on the Gateway project? That looked like it was going to be awesome but then it kind of fizzled...

TheRevSFA
December 17th, 2016, 11:00 AM
It's absolutely gorgeous and even better in person and it's definitely helped with branding the university and recruiting. A total win.

I've never really stared at a used tampon. Glad you have experience with this. xthumbsupx

I want a SFA EWU home and home so I have an excuse to get up there

BisonTru
December 17th, 2016, 11:02 AM
It seems to have faded some which is nice.

December 17th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Yeah well in the 7 years since that majestic rug has gone in we've won 5 BSC titles, had 2 undefeated conference seasons, 4 trips to the semis, one chipper, almost doubled attendance, and lead the state in enrollment increases. It ain't exactly hurting.

So you admit that your team only wins because of the color of the field it plays on??? Interesting. Only criticism I have of the color is it does make it nearly impossible to watch EWU on TV. Something I think the university to consider because it will negativly effect marketing.

aust42
December 17th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I cannot watch Boise State home games either on their blue smurf turf. If I recall correctly some EWU NFL alum came up with the idea and donated money to install the tampon colored turf. It baffles me that the powers that be thought it was a good idea and actually installed it. If I'm a recruit that red turf field would be an automatic disqualification on my list of schools to visit. Obviously it hasn't hurt EWU's performance to date. I'm old school if I were dictator of the NCAA I'd ban all turf fields and domes. Football should be played on grass and in the elements. Maybe I'd grant an exception to NDSU. If I heard correctly it ws -28 wind chill factor last night? My God how do you people tailgate outside the stadium?

Good luck EWU, just hating on your field not your program!

Schism55
December 17th, 2016, 12:07 PM
This ^^
It's decent in person, but annoying on tv no doubt.
Interested to see how much snow is embedded in the field today and how that affects the look on tv.

POD Knows
December 17th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I cannot watch Boise State home games either on their blue smurf turf. If I recall correctly some EWU NFL alum came up with the idea and donated money to install the tampon colored turf. It baffles me that the powers that be thought it was a good idea and actually installed it. If I'm a recruit that red turf field would be an automatic disqualification on my list of schools to visit. Obviously it hasn't hurt EWU's performance to date. I'm old school if I were dictator of the NCAA I'd ban all turf fields and domes. Football should be played on grass and in the elements. Maybe I'd grant an exception to NDSU. If I heard correctly it ws -28 wind chill factor last night? My God how do you people tailgate outside the stadium?

Good luck EWU, just hating on your field not your program!

Setting up for a tailgate one time, early morning and the air temp was -17, no idea what the wind chill was. This was a few years ago, brutal, the zip ties holding the sides on our canopies were getting cold and snapping off.

Heaters, food and alcohol. Last night would have real tough outside, real tough, we might have needed a few body bags.

wapiti
December 17th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Great example for logic of a liberal. We got a red field and since then we have had success. Therefore red field equals success. Everyone should get a red field and thus everyone will have success and the govt. will pay for it.
xsmiley_wix

Also beware of thread hijack and trolling.

kalm
December 17th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Great example for logic of a liberal. We got a red field and since then we have had success. Therefore red field equals success. Everyone should get a red field and thus everyone will have success and the govt. will pay for it.
xsmiley_wix

Also beware of thread hijack and trolling.

Not sure where politics comes in here. The inferno was primarily funded by a $500 k donation from a capitalist pig playing in the NFL.

All I stated was it hasn't hurt. nowhere did I say anyone else should do it. In fact I hope we remain somewhat unique in this regard. Diferrentiation is a competitive business advantage.

Only a backwards, slow witted conservative would fail to applaud immensely successful, outside the box thinking, and innovation such as this.

Jelly

kalm
December 17th, 2016, 12:45 PM
So you admit that your team only wins because of the color of the field it plays on??? Interesting. Only criticism I have of the color is it does make it nearly impossible to watch EWU on TV. Something I think the university to consider because it will negativly effect marketing.

They considered the marketing consequences and its paid off in spades. Unlike your miserable attempt at trolling here.

BisonHype!
December 17th, 2016, 12:51 PM
I think the red field is sort of unique actually. You don't see that anywhere other than Boise State. It is part of their niche. People recognize EWU by their red field, and arguably people almost know their field as much if not more than their product on the field. That is not a shot at EWU btw.

NDSUtk
December 17th, 2016, 01:44 PM
I'm excited to see it in person next season.

formerEag
December 17th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Eastern fans love it.
Players love it.

It wasn't installed for any other reason.
/Thread
/Discussion

Longhorn
December 17th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Really wish the NCAA would issue a ruling eliminating all field colors other than green. Red, blue, Grey/Maroon...all of them are gimmicky, and make the game hard to watch.

Execute008
December 17th, 2016, 03:16 PM
When i first saw it i thought i like the color red but this field is to bright. But over time my eyes have gotten accustomed to it. Really not a fan of the blue or red turf but not like i can change it lol.

dudeitsaid
December 17th, 2016, 03:20 PM
I'm not an EWU hater but dam your field looks like a huge used Tampon. I cannot watch an EWU home game because that field is so annoying and burns my eyes so I'll be missing a great 1AA semi-final tonight. If my Delaware Bluehens did something like that they would lose me as a fan. How do EWU fans feel about that field?

I really thought I would hate it when the idea was proposed, but I honestly love our colors, and love the way the field looks. I hate all other colored fields though, so maybe I'm just a homer.

I do admit, I FREAKING LOVE how many people hate it!

citdog
December 17th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I hate all other colored fields though, so maybe I'm just a homer.!

Pretty racist.

I'm triggered.

ElCid
December 17th, 2016, 03:28 PM

Kind of the opposite of CCU where the teal field is not too bad on TV but completely hideous in person.

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Really wish the NCAA would issue a ruling eliminating all field colors other than green. Red, blue, Grey/Maroon...all of them are gimmicky, and make the game hard to watch.

in fact so hard to watch I just might not watch it... sub zero temps and red fields a double negative for me....

CHIP72
December 17th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Too bad the game isn't being played in Kansas City where not only would you have cold temperatures but you'd also have snow to cover the red turf too.

Preferred Walk-On
December 17th, 2016, 04:59 PM
I think alternatively colored fields are great. Only one I am not a real huge fan of is the all gray one for Eastern Michigan. If viewing on TV is the issue, crank up the the green tint, and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
December 17th, 2016, 05:31 PM
I think alternatively colored fields are great. Only one I am not a real huge fan of is the all gray one for Eastern Michigan. If viewing on TV is the issue, crank up the the green tint, and you should be fine.

I'll be honest I fall more into this camp. Really think UCAs is cool.

Daytripper
December 17th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Red field doesn't seem to be bothering the Penguins....7-0 YSU

Milktruck74
December 17th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Teams with their school colors on their turf have done well the last few years....EWU, Boise State, NDSU.....

Twentysix
December 17th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Teams with their school colors on their turf have done well the last few years....EWU, Boise State, NDSU.....

You might be onto something.

Even the packers have had some success, likely because of their fields color being the same as their jerseys.

elvisbdking
December 17th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Need someone like the Longhorns to do something like this. Then it will become a fad!!

ysubigred
December 17th, 2016, 10:23 PM
"IF"YSU get's red turf would we be a copy cat xlolx

ASU33
December 18th, 2016, 02:31 AM
I actually dig the red turf! I can't lie, its bright as hell at the start of the season for those sunny games but I still dig it.

McNeese72
December 18th, 2016, 06:47 AM
I think the red field is sort of unique actually. You don't see that anywhere other than Boise State. It is part of their niche.

Uh......don't forget "The Cake" at UCA

dewey
December 18th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Uh......don't forget "The Cake" at UCA

Agreed. The colored fields are not just at EWU and Boise State. Central Arkansas, Eastern Michigan, Lindenwood and a few others have them IIIRC.

Dewey

CHIP72
December 18th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Eastern Michigan has a gray field at "The Factory". I attended a game there earlier this season - not nearly as bad in person as on TV.

BisonBacker
December 18th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I thought I heard back some time ago the NCAA wasn't allowing anymore colored fields???'

And please no racist jokes.

Bronco
December 18th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I thought I heard back some time ago the NCAA wasn't allowing anymore colored fields???'

And please no racist jokes.

Carlos Fields

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/img/fantasy/transparent/200x200/FIE471195.png

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 18th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Thats Racist!

http://hairstyles.thehairstyler.com/hairstyle_views/front_view_images/7960/original/Sally-Field.jpg

citdog
December 18th, 2016, 11:43 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/06/1c/cf/061ccfebdd145f8ce5bfbe5172cafdc7.jpg

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I red in the sports section today they are done using that field for the year..............................

Red & Black
December 18th, 2016, 01:21 PM
When they first announced it, I kind of thought it was a ridiculous idea...just make the end zones red or something but keep it green. The first time I saw it in person, I was like "Whoa, this is AWESOME." It honestly has never bothered my eyes at all. Honestly, I don't even think about it. I don't get the "it hurts my eyes" thing.

Preferred Walk-On
December 18th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Agreed. The colored fields are not just at EWU and Boise State. Central Arkansas, Eastern Michigan, Lindenwood and a few others have them IIIRC.

Dewey

My favorite is Coastal...hands-down.

Theee Catrabbit
December 18th, 2016, 01:58 PM
It's bad and EWU fans will defend that thing until they die. it's horrible

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2016, 04:20 PM
It's bad and EWU fans will defend that thing until they die. it's horrible

Its as bad as Boises. Dont care for them.

Thumper 76
December 18th, 2016, 05:02 PM
"IF"YSU get's red turf would we be a copy cat xlolx

You could alternate red/white and call it "the scarf"

crossfire07
December 18th, 2016, 05:17 PM
There is not a turf more harder on the eyes than UCA's. Visitors had trouble winning there but after a couple trips and their eyes got adjusted the losing has begun. It made one of our qb's so sick he barfed up and down the field and when it was all over McNeese handed them their first loss on that ugly thing.

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2016, 06:49 PM
There is not a turf more harder on the eyes than UCA's. Visitors had trouble winning there but after a couple trips and their eyes got adjusted the losing has begun. It made one of our qb's so sick he barfed up and down the field and when it was all over McNeese handed them their first loss on that ugly thing.

Youre kidding?

I thought UCAs was easy on the eyes.

BEAR
December 18th, 2016, 07:24 PM

I like your field better. More wins for us there. xlolx

crossfire07
December 18th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Youre kidding?

The red doesn't bother me but that purple and grey in person is rough.

crossfire07
December 18th, 2016, 09:12 PM
I like your field better. More wins for us there. xlolx

We have played up there more than you have been down here thanks to the idiots in Frisco.Next time you come down it will be a clean slate because we have a new one getting ready to go down. I don't like your turf but all my trips up there have always been good.

Thumper 76
December 19th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Youre kidding?

#SensitiveSouthernSpeed xlolx

Smitty
December 19th, 2016, 10:36 AM
The only problem I have with it is when the black pellets rise to the surface. It makes it look terrible

http://www.ewufootballcamps.com/images/RoosSkyShot.jpg

ysubigred
December 19th, 2016, 11:13 AM

YES SIR!! I'm calling the AD now xbowx

cx500d
December 19th, 2016, 12:14 PM
jeez, could you get the stands any further away from the field, or is that the minimum safe viewing distance?

The only problem I have with it is when the black pellets rise to the surface. It makes it look terrible

http://www.ewufootballcamps.com/images/RoosSkyShot.jpg

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I don't mind the field. My only complaint is that Bill Fette can't see anything on the replays to overturn the ruling on the field ;)

cx500d
December 19th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Reminds me of my high school, except we had green grass.

I don't mind the field. My only complaint is that Bill Fette can't see anything on the replays to overturn the ruling on the field ;)

Preferred Walk-On
December 19th, 2016, 10:38 PM

Don't you mean "The Candycane"? Or perhaps "The Peppermint Paddy"?