PDA

View Full Version : GoGrambling.com reports Rod Broadway is the new Head Football coach at THE ICON

MACHIAVELLI
January 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
www.GoGrambling.com

Rod Broadway named new Grambling Football Coach
Ryan McGinty
GRAMBLING, La. – Grambling State University has named Rod Broadway of North Carolina Central University as its ninth head football coach in school history, said Troy Mathieu , Director of Athletics. Broadway was recently selected as the 2006 “Sheridan Broadcasting Network Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year” and his North Carolina Central team was voted as the 2006 Sheridan Black College National Champions.
“We are elated that Rod Broadway has agreed to take the leadership reigns of the Grambling State University football program,” said Mathieu. “He’s a proven winner as a head coach and has had the opportunity to work with and learn from some of the most respected coaches on the (NCAA) Division I level over the past two decades. We’re looking forward to him having a very successful tenure as the head coach of Grambling State University .”

A native of Oakboro , N.C. , the 28-year veteran of the coaching ranks wasted no time in putting his stamp on the NCCU program by posting three consecutive winning seasons of eight or more games after a 4-6 record in his inaugural campaign. This past season, Broadway made history as he led the Eagles to a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Division II’s Southeast Region, a No. 1 ranking in the SBN Poll and back-to-back CIAA titles for the first time since the 1953-54 seasons. In addition, the Eagles also fielded the CIAA’s top-ranked offense (345.1 ypg) along with the 15th ranked defense in NCAA Division II (250.7 ypg). Broadway’s 2006 team also featured four players who earned SBN All-American honors including the SBN’s Offensive Player of the Year in freshman quarterback Stadford Brown, 12 All-CIAA selections, 10 Daktronics All-Southeast Region honorees and two Associated Press Little All-Americans.

He closes out his four-year career at NCCU with a decorated resume’ that includes multiple honors by the Pigskin Club of Washington D.C., Inc., a 33-11 overall record, back-to-back CIAA titles, two consecutive appearances in the NCAA Division II Playoffs, a 16-game regular season winning streak and a 29-4 record over the past three seasons. In addition, Broadway also collected the school’s first-ever victory over a Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) opponent with a victory over Southern University in 2006.

Prior to his tenure at NCCU, Broadway honed his skills on the NCAA football’s highest level as the defensive line coach of the University of North Carolina (2001-02), University of Florida (1995-00), Duke (1981-94) and East Carolina (1979-80).

As an assistant coach at North Carolina , Broadway helped the Tar Heels to a No. 15 national ranking in total defense and an appearance in the Peach Bowl. While at Florida , he served as a member of Steve Spurrier’s staff and helped the Gators attain four SEC Championships, six bowl appearances and one national championship in 1996. Broadway’s defensive units at Florida led the SEC in sacks from 1996-99 with the 1997 team setting a school record for rush defense with 70.7 yards per game.

A 1977 graduate of the University of North Carolina, Broadway played on the defensive line from 1974-77 and helped lead Carolina to the 1974 Sun Bowl and the 1977 Liberty Bowl. Among the honors he earned were the team’s “Outstanding Freshman” in 1974 and “Most Outstanding Senior” along with All-ACC honors in 1977.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to coach at Grambling State University because it’s considered the pinnacle of black college football,” said Broadway. “I’ve had a good stay at ( North Carolina ) Central and met some unbelievable people here that have supported me over the years. It’s going to be hard to say goodbye but it’s time to move on to the next chapter of my coaching career.”

3rd Coast Tiger
January 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Poor MightyDog. xlolx

lizrdgizrd
January 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Good hire, Grambling! I know NCCU will miss him.

jstate83
January 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Poor MightyDog. xlolx

xlolx
Now A@M gotta give Jones that raise. xlolx
He's MIA on the SWACPAGE today. xlolx

Good Hire Gram.

BigApp
January 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
looks like a good hire!

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Safe hire for Grambling...

Wonder what will happen at NCCU now. This is a very critical time for that program as they look towards playing Div I ball...

BLUE TIGER
January 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Safe hire for Grambling...

Wonder what will happen at NCCU now. This is a very critical time for that program as they look towards playing Div I ball...

Daryl Asberry may throw his name in the hat.

whoanellie
January 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM
you guys are soooo naive....
The main reason for this hire is to quote Jake Blues "It's the Band" !!!!!!!
what an arrangement of "On Broadway" the Tiger band could muster?
maestro.... Excellent pedigree and experience..... James Webster to Tennessee St. was another long time assistant w/ a UNC Connection ...
Success where legends dwelled is hard to sustain.
coaching ghosts linger forever!!!!

MACHIAVELLI
January 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM
About 50 applicants applied for the ICON job.