PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga's new head coach will be....

Pages : [1] 2

NorthChuckSouth
December 14th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Crazy time of the year... who ya got?

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I would like to see Jamey Chadwell from CSU in the mix.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I would like to see Jamey Chadwell from CSU in the mix.

FIFY

Also that was going to be my first guess on who they would target.

NorthChuckSouth
December 14th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I would like to see Jimmy Chadwell from CSU in the mix.

I'd figure so too.. with the options open right now I don't see him staying.

Chatt would be a good fit for him... back in TN, a good backing, and somewhat of a similar offense.

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 08:41 AM
FIFY

Also that was going to be my first guess on who they would target.

Thanks. I fixed it too. Stressful day!

I think he is also in the running for the Furman job, but I think he is a better fit for Chattanooga.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Thanks. I fixed it too. Stressful day!

I think he is also in the running for the Furman job, but I think he is a better fit for Chattanooga.

Yeah I would believe he is a better fit there too. Plus he is a Tennessee guy. However, he already interviewed at Furman apparently. So hopefully it isn't too late for Chatt to get in his sweepstakes.

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2016, 08:54 AM
This is about to set off another chain reaction in the lower level FBS and FCS schools.

Richmond, UTC, and Furman will all be filling out coaching staffs in the next week or so.

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 08:56 AM
There are some other potential candidates from the Chattanooga coaching tree but none seem perfect. Two of the head coaches took over bad programs and haven't been there long enough to turn them around.

Marcus Satterfield - HC at TTU
Will Healey HC at AUstin Peay
Adam Fuller DC at Marshall
Jason Simpson HC at UT Martin

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Wait, did Huesman actually leave??

NorthChuckSouth
December 14th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Wait, did Huesman actually leave??

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/dec/14/huesman-accepts-richmond-offer/402989/

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 09:18 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/dec/14/huesman-accepts-richmond-offer/402989/
The hell? Why?

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 09:29 AM
UR doubled his current salary and offered $100k more than we could counter.

He also spent a lot of his coaching career in Virginia at William and Mary and Richmond.

I have heard his wife is from that area too but don't know for sure.

Certainly a slap in the face to Chattanooga his alma mater, but money talks. It would just be easier to swallow if it wasn't considered (by UTC fans) a lateral move from one top 10 team to another.

IBleedYellow
December 14th, 2016, 09:30 AM
The hell? Why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 09:49 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Nah.

I bet it was because he would rather start the season off with a cupcake win than another loss to the Gamecocks. :D

kdinva
December 14th, 2016, 09:55 AM
There are some other potential candidates from the Chattanooga coaching tree but none seem perfect. Two of the head coaches took over bad programs and haven't been there long enough to turn them around.

Marcus Satterfield - HC at TTU
Will Healey HC at AUstin Peay
Adam Fuller DC at Marshall
Jason Simpson HC at UT Martin

Bring back Tommy West......he went 1-3 vs. the Keydets... xdrunkyx

dgtw
December 14th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Nah.

I bet it was because he would rather start the season off with a cupcake win than another loss to the Gamecocks. :D

I know you were joking, but Richmond opens 2017 at Sam Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UCMoc
December 14th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Nah.

After watching you guys against YSU, I'd say he could have stayed and had a cupcake.

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 10:01 AM
After watching you guys against YSU, I'd say he could have stayed and done both.

Perhaps. I guess we won't find out now.

Either way I hope you guys land a good coach. The rivalry we got going on is really fun because we're so evenly matched. Since I've been around JSU I think the UTC games are the most fun. I would hate to see you guys take a step back trying to fill Huesmans shoes and hope you guys get someone to help take the program up a notch.

I know you were joking, but Richmond opens 2017 at Sam Houston.

Like I said, cupcake.

moccasinjoe
December 14th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Bring back Tommy West......he went 1-3 vs. the Keydets... xdrunkyx

Tommy West still owes Chattanooga $250,000 from a buy out he never paid.

dgtw
December 14th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I also hope they make a good hire as long as it isn't John Grass. With the OVC sucking so bad, we need a good OOC rival a short drive away.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 14th, 2016, 10:04 AM
To be honest with you, I really never saw it coming. Here's hoping Chattanooga finds someone who can keep the fire going for them. Huesman's been the best coach Chattanooga's had in a long time.

Daytripper
December 14th, 2016, 10:09 AM
To be honest with you, I really never saw it coming. Here's hoping Chattanooga finds someone who can keep the fire going for them. Huesman's been the best coach Chattanooga's had in a long time.

Jeff Fisher.

walliver
December 14th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I think Chadwell is a better fit for UTC than Furman and should be at the top of the list.

Huesman leaving isn't a tremendous surprise, but going to another FCS team is. There is, however, a time when you realize that retirement is inevitable, and money begins to matter.

Hopefully, Chattanooga has learned from past mistakes, and won't try to hire a SEC assistant who doesn't understand FCS.

JSUSoutherner
Jeff Fisher.
I lol'd

What's Terrell Owens doing nowadays?

UCMoc
Jeff Fisher.

We are 2 hours from Nashville. We know him too well for him to peddle his snake oil here.

Mocdaddy
December 14th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Holy #### where's the Tylenol?

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I think Chadwell is a better fit for UTC than Furman and should be at the top of the list.

Huesman leaving isn't a tremendous surprise, but going to another FCS team is. There is, however, a time when you realize that retirement is inevitable, and money begins to matter.

Hopefully, Chattanooga has learned from past mistakes, and won't try to hire a SEC assistant who doesn't understand FCS.

Yes, Chadwell is my first choice as well and our AD Blackburn needs to be on the phone with him now before Furman or someone else grabs him.

UCMoc
December 14th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Yes, Chadwell is my first choice as well and our AD Blackburn needs to be on the phone with him now before Furman or someone else grabs him.

I would be great with him or Will Healy. I think Will gives us the best chance to hang on to the recruits we have for this season. I'd also like to see him bring back Marcus West as DC.

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 10:17 AM
What do members of AGS think of Kerwin Bell? He was HC at Jacksinville(FL) and stepped down and spent last season at D2 Valdasta St.

centraljerseycat
December 14th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Watson Brown coming out of retirement to add to his career loss total.

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 10:29 AM

Ten years ago we would have made him the AD but we have moved into the 21st century.

rokamortis
December 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM
What do members of AGS think of Kerwin Bell? He was HC at Jacksinville(FL) and stepped down and spent last season at D2 Valdasta St.

Guy wins. I don't know anything about his character or running a clean program - but the guy should get a serious look.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2016, 10:49 AM
"Hello, K.C.?"

Daytripper
December 14th, 2016, 10:49 AM
"Hello, K.C.?"

Kirk Cousins?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Kirk Cousins?

You like that? xlolx

NorthChuckSouth
December 14th, 2016, 10:52 AM
My thing with Chadwell is how many staff guys leave with him (assuming he leaves).. The DC is responsible for a lot of the games we won and he may try for the HC job here

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2016, 10:59 AM
In all seriousness, Chadwell seems like a very logical choice here over KC.

SU DOG
December 14th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Any Travis Trickett rumors?

citdog
December 14th, 2016, 11:03 AM

Does he coach football now?

http://www.defunkd.com/public/upload/images/product_images/big/enVie72_36811385507396.jpg

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2016, 11:05 AM

Guess that depends on if he will be staying on with Lane Kiffin at FAU. I mean I assume he has aspirations for the FBS level and is probably easier when being the OC at a place like FAU than being the HC at UTC.

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 11:08 AM
KC would be a good choice, but I think he is looking G5.

TTUEagles
December 14th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I also hope they make a good hire as long as it isn't John Grass. With the OVC sucking so bad, we need a good OOC rival a short drive away.

Hang on, we're coming... Give us one more year....(if we can keep Satterfield)

Lehigh'98
December 14th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Elrod?

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Jamey Chadwell - HC at CSU - First Choice

Marcus Satterfield HC at TTU - Been at Chattanooga multiple times, last as Huesmans first OC. It looks like he is doing good things at TTU but has only been there one year.

Jason Simpson HC at Martin - Was OC under Rodney Allison. Seems like he has done a decent job at UTM, but has only gotten them to the playoffs once in his first year (though they got snubbed in ~2013).

Will Healey HC at Austin Peay - Good coach and great recruiter. Chattanooga native. Was WR Coach under Huesman. I think he made progress at Peay (it was a dumpster fire), but it would be hard to hire a HC that has one year of experience and was 0-11.

Adam Fuller - DC at Marshall - Was Huesmans DC. Well liked by people around the program.

Kerwin Bell - HC at D2 Valdosta State - Former HC at FCS Non Schollie Jacksonville (FL)

Will Hall - HC at D2 West Georgia

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Chadwell would be first on my Rolodex. If he's not interested, then Kerwin Bell.

utcfan
December 14th, 2016, 11:40 AM
I would be great with him or Will Healy. I think Will gives us the best chance to hang on to the recruits we have for this season. I'd also like to see him bring back Marcus West as DC.

Chadwell seems like a good choice, Healy....eh...can recruit....hometown boy.....took an 0-11 team and went....0-11.....don't know yet if he can coach....would be a gamble.....question is which coach can UTC that can recruit, coach, and get the $$$$ people to turn loose of more $$$$$

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Jamey Chadwell - HC at CSU - First Choice

Marcus Satterfield HC at TTU - Been at Chattanooga multiple times, last as Huesmans first OC. It looks like he is doing good things at TTU but has only been there one year.

Jason Simpson HC at Martin - Was OC under Rodney Allison. Seems like he has done a decent job at UTM, but has only gotten them to the playoffs once in his first year (though they got snubbed in ~2013).

Will Healey HC at Austin Peay - Good coach and great recruiter. Chattanooga native. Was WR Coach under Huesman. I think he made progress at Peay (it was a dumpster fire), but it would be hard to hire a HC that has one year of experience and was 0-11.

Adam Fuller - DC at Marshall - Was Huesmans DC. Well liked by people around the program.

Kerwin Bell - HC at D2 Valdosta State - Former HC at FCS Non Schollie Jacksonville (FL)

Will Hall - HC at D2 West Georgia
Jason Simpson is a pretty good coach, especially considering with what he has to work with. That said, the last thing the conference needs is for our coaches to get poached. We just got through firing the mediocre ones.

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 11:47 AM
John Grass??

:)

dewey
December 14th, 2016, 11:51 AM
John Grass??

Claventownmocs would have to eat a giant plate of crow if that happened (just look at JSUsoutherner's signature line. I am sure there are more).

Dewey

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 11:53 AM
John Grass??

Nah. You wouldn't want him. He's an underachieving disaster.

TTUEagles
December 14th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Probably a reach and his stock is soaring in the NFL right now, but I'd check to see if Jason Michaels (Titans OC) was interested. WKU alum and was rumored to be interested in that job.

utcfan
December 14th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Jason Simpson is a pretty good coach, especially considering with what he has to work with. That said, the last thing the conference needs is for our coaches to get poached. We just got through firing the mediocre ones.

Would be curious if Simpson would take a second bite at the UTC job. Simpson would be a solid choice though not a "splash" hire.

centennial
December 14th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Nah. You wouldn't want him. He's an underachieving disaster.

Actually, he hasn't fared well against more physical teams like NDSU, or YSU. I consider him a good, but not great coach. Still I think he would do a good job at Chatt.

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Actually, he hasn't fared well against more physical teams like NDSU, or YSU. I consider him a good, but not great coach. Still I think he would do a good job at Chatt.

In case you haven't noticed, not many teams are beating NDSU nowadays.

Daytripper
December 14th, 2016, 01:06 PM

....or Sam Houston State. xdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 01:08 PM
....or Sam Houston State. xdrunkyx

Huh, I always heard the memory sometimes blocks out traumatic experiences so that people don't remember them. It's interesting to actually see it happening. xcoffeex

centennial
December 14th, 2016, 01:10 PM
It wasn't being physically out matched. More so the game plan, penalties, team discipline. Yes last year's NDSU with Carson Wentz would take out a lot of FBS teams, but I felt adjustments and planning was poor. Same with YSU this year.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 01:11 PM
It wasn't being physically out matched. More so the game plan, penalties, team discipline. Yes last year's NDSU with Carson Wentz would take out a lot of FBS teams, but I felt adjustments and planning was poor. Same with YSU this year.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Yeah the YSU game was a bit of a CF.

Bison56
December 14th, 2016, 01:11 PM

Any coach can look good when the OVC is the competition.:D

Lack of discipline has been noticeable under Grass.

dgtw
December 14th, 2016, 01:25 PM

I agree. Way too many cheap penalties and I don't think he lifted a finger to stop it.

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Fun fact: We had he most penalties in the FCS this year. It's extremely frustrating to watch during games.

I can only imagine how successfully we could be if we played with more discipline.

Scrappy94
December 14th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Heard a rumor from a Chattanooga Times Free Press writer that Steve Spurrier could be in the mix. Probably is just a rumor though. I don't see that happening at all.

walliver
December 14th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Heard a rumor from a Chattanooga Times Free Press writer that Steve Spurrier could be in the mix. Probably is just a rumor though. I don't see that happening at all.Is it this Steve Spurrier?
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/steve-spurrier-jr-returns-to-oklahoma-staff-in-off-field-role/

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I lol'd

What's Terrell Owens doing nowadays?

doing crunches in his driveway

CockyGeek
December 14th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I drove TO in an Uber last month. He's still ripped.

UTC will probably just elevate one of their assistants.

moc n tn1991
December 14th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Maybe...Maybe not...

rokamortis
December 14th, 2016, 03:32 PM

That's cool. About 20 years ago I gave Junior Seau a ride in my small sedan.

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 04:46 PM

UTC will probably just elevate one of their assistants.

I would be surprised if Durden and Braithwraite aren't in the mix, but I imagine we will look outside as well.

utcfan
December 14th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I would be surprised if Durden and Braithwraite aren't in the mix, but I imagine we will look outside as well.

Per Spider board--Headed to Richmond. Though I'm sure would stay to be HC.

- - - Updated - - -

Huesman turn down Delaware ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulshahen/status/809175185488281603

Mocs123
December 14th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Along with the names already mentioned, WRCB TV has also mentioned Bob Shoop, UTK Defensive Coordinator.

Of course being associated with UTK is a strike against him with the fan base, though our AD has UTK roots.

utcfan
December 14th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Local sportscaster list

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/34053212/potential-targets-to-replace-russ-huesman-at-utc

utcfan
December 14th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Along with the names already mentioned, WRCB TV has also mentioned Bob Shoop, UTK Defensive Coordinator.

Of course being associated with UTK is a strike against him with the fan base, though our AD has UTK roots.

Huge pay cut....UTK is 3 strikes and their fans would love to see him go.....I don't think Penn State really cared that he left to bring the "Orange Swarm" to Knoxville.

Big_Fan
December 15th, 2016, 01:36 AM
KC would be a good choice, but I think he is looking G5.

Only if he brings the sunshine band!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24185&stc=1

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 08:09 AM
The Chattanooga Times Free Press suggested the following candidates mostly due to ties with Chattanooga or Blakburn our AD. The article also states this doesn't include potential internal candidates.

David Bibee- MTSU Safties Coach

Thomas Brown - Miami(fl) OC

Jamey Chadwell - CSU HC

Mark Elder - EKU HC

Will Healy - Austin Peay HC

Dale Jones - App St Linebackers Coach

Bobby Lamb - Mercer HC (also former Furman HC)

Andy McCullum GT Linebackers coach (also former MTSU HC)

Randy Sanders - FSU Co-OC

Marcus Satterfield - TTU HC

Bob Shoop - UTK DC

Jason Simpson - UT Martin HC

JMU_71
December 15th, 2016, 08:10 AM

I'm kinda surprised this is the first time Durden has been mentioned. If Mickey Matthews had taken the chains off of Durden we would've been much more successful the last few years of Mickey's tenure.

mamberso
December 15th, 2016, 08:11 AM
The Chattanooga Times Free Press suggested the following candidates mostly due to ties with Chattanooga or Blakburn our AD. The article also states this doesn't include potential internal candidates.

David Bibee- MTSU Safties Coach

Thomas Brown - Miami(fl) OC

Jamey Chadwell - CSU HC

Mark Elder - EKU HC

Will Healy - Austin Peay HC

Dale Jones - App St Linebackers Coach

Bobby Lamb - Mercer HC (also former Furman HC)

Randy Sanders - FSU Co-OC

Marcus Satterfield - TTU HC

Bob Shoop - UTK DC

Jason Simpson - UT Martin HC

If I were a UTC fan, my order of preference would be: 1)Chadwell, 2)Durden, 3)Lamb

UCMoc
December 15th, 2016, 08:21 AM
If I were a UTC fan, my order of preference would be: 1)Chadwell, 2)Durden, 3)Lamb

As a UTC fan, my first three that I'd like to scratch are

1) Thomas Brown- he stayed here a year, and doesn't seem to stay anywhere long.

2)Randy Sanders- He has no experience with an FCS budget, and lacks offensive creativity.

3) Bob Shoop- Let's pass on the big orange cast-offs.

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 09:30 AM
As a UTC fan, Chadwell is my top choice.

I could also get on board with Durden, Bobby Lamb, or Jason Simpson.

Will Healy and Marcas Satterfield also could be in the mix.

You can throw away the resumes of anyone else in that list.

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 09:31 AM
On second thought just hire Chadwell and let's move on from this. :)

ZableNoise
December 15th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Bob Shoop was a helluva DC at W&M. I don't know how he'd be as a HC but the last former Tribe DC you hired worked out pretty well.

TTUEagles
December 15th, 2016, 10:43 AM

McCollum was a finalist for the TTU job. I had heard that he really wanted it, really wants to be a HC again...

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 11:03 AM
There is a rumor going around that Chattanooga and Jamey Chadwell are finalizing negotiations for him to become Chattanooga's new coach. I am not sure how valid they are, so take it with a grain of salt.

SENOREIDA
December 15th, 2016, 11:12 AM
There is a rumor going around that Chattanooga and Jamey Chadwell are finalizing negotiations for him to become Chattanooga's new coach. I am not sure how valid they are, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://twitter.com/gomocs57/status/809442746377371649
Still a rumor. This has been an interesting set of musical chairs this year

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 11:17 AM
It has been an interesting set of musical chairs. I am still not sure if I understand why Rocco left UR to go to Delaware. That seems like a lateral move and in some ways a step down. UR then recovered quick stealing Huesman away. I see this as somewhat of a lateral move (though I know UR fans disagree) too, but they offered him a lot more $.

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Per Kevin Bilodeau (Charleston TV News) Jamey Chadwell tells him the reports are NOT true that he is finalizing a contract with Chattanooga though he does have interest in the job.

JSUSoutherner
December 15th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Chadwell going to the SoCon would be a killshot for the Big South. Losing Coastal and Chuck South (I don't think they fare well losing Chadwell) back to back? Yikes.

At least UNA joins in 2018.

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Chadwell going to the SoCon would be a killshot for the Big South. Losing Coastal and Chuck South (I don't think they fare well losing Chadwell) back to back? Yikes.

At least UNA joins in 2018.

I too agree that long term success at CSU is unlikely with their current facilities and budget constraints.

Liberty is a sleeping giant though. They have more money than just about any FCS school.

Bogus Megapardus
December 15th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Slightly off-topic - latest rumor is that U-T Chattanooga OC Jeff Druden is interviewing today for Lafayette College's head coaching position.

Any thoughts on Druden?

longtimemocfan
December 15th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Writer from Chattanooga News Free press pretty much proclaiming in stone Chadwell will be Chattanooga's next head coach.

longtimemocfan
December 15th, 2016, 05:51 PM
I'd figure so too.. with the options open right now I don't see him staying.

Chatt would be a good fit for him... back in TN, a good backing, and somewhat of a similar offense.

Chadwell's wife from just up the road in Athens,Tn.

longtimemocfan
December 15th, 2016, 05:55 PM
The hell? Why?

Huesman really didn't even consider the counter offer which was about 75,000 less and would really be a wash considering Virginia has a state income tax and Tennessee doesn't. He seemed to be ready for a change and Richmond is a special place for him.

superman7515
December 15th, 2016, 06:16 PM
What about this guy?

http://i.imgur.com/g1oHo08.png

longtimemocfan
December 15th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Yeah old 2 run plays and pass on 3rd down. Won't ever happen.

superman7515
December 15th, 2016, 06:33 PM
xlolx

citdog
December 15th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Yeah old 2 run plays and pass on 3rd down. Won't ever happen.

The way to beat Chattanooga is to run it on all 3 downs and sometimes 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvzJ4LK51e4

moccasinjoe
December 15th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Listened to Coach Huesman on two Chattanooga radio stations today answer questions very candidly. I still think we should have come up with a way to keep him. Hopefully we can get someone with the same integrity and passion for the program. As a season ticket holder since 1981, we may have taken him for granted.

chattownmocs
December 15th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Slightly off-topic - latest rumor is that U-T Chattanooga OC Jeff Druden is interviewing today for Lafayette College's head coaching position.

Any thoughts on Druden?

Not the most charismatic but he's a very good offensive coach.

UCMoc
December 15th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Listened to Coach Huesman on two Chattanooga radio stations today answer questions very candidly. I still think we should have come up with a way to keep him. Hopefully we can get someone with the same integrity and passion for the program. As a season ticket holder since 1981, we may have taken him for granted.

My neighbor came home in a brand new Mercedes that looked amazing and I wanted one for myself. When I went to the dealer and found out what it cost, I went home without one. This is because I'm not a dumbass who doesn't spend money I don't have. I'm glad to see that our athletic director isn't either.

chattownmocs
December 15th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Come on blackburn, reel in chadwell.

chattownmocs
December 15th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Bob Shoop was a helluva DC at W&M. I don't know how he'd be as a HC but the last former Tribe DC you hired worked out pretty well.

Bob shoop is a dynamite coach. Don't know if he is head coaching material or not. Most of these "chattanooga" fans sound more like alabama and georgia fans with their idiotic vitriol that is only directed at tennessee. It's pathetic, you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2016, 08:24 PM

Chattwell & Chattown / Chaddtown & Chaddwell - the Dynamic Duo together again for the 1st time!

Watch out Bellhops...they comin'

JSUSoutherner
December 15th, 2016, 08:25 PM
He would be a heck of a get. I personally think he would be better than Huesman.

moccasinjoe
December 15th, 2016, 08:35 PM
My neighbor came home in a brand new Mercedes that looked amazing and I wanted one for myself. When I went to the dealer and found out what it cost, I went home without one. This is because I'm not a dumbass who doesn't spend money I don't have. I'm glad to see that our athletic director isn't either.

That is point well taken, however if a bad decision is made with a new coach and we go back to averaging half as many fans like we did back during the Alison years that would translate in annual revenue losses of between $500,000 to $700,000 per year. So by not spending and extra $150,000 a year, we could be down another $350,000 to $550,000 year. Just an observation.

citdog
December 15th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Chattwell & Chattown / Chaddtown & Chaddwell - the Dynamic Duo together again for the 1st time!

Watch out Bellhops...they comin'

more like Choadewell

utcfan
December 15th, 2016, 09:40 PM
This says Chadwell interviewed and things went well. UTC OC Durden And AC Rusty Wright will interview Friday.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/34068858/replacing-huesman-at-utc-whos-interviewed-whos-going-to

chattownmocs
December 15th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Chadwell is the only one that makes sense. Alot of these other guys couldn't get far worse jobs currently or in the past. Rusty wright? Yeah "wright"

ngineer
December 15th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Frank Tavani!

Bucs2016
December 16th, 2016, 06:29 AM
more like Choadewell

But why u mad tho?

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Chadwell is the only one that makes sense. Alot of these other guys couldn't get far worse jobs currently or in the past. Rusty wright? Yeah "wright"

Lot at play in these decisions.

Would be interesting for Chadwell if he lands neither the job at UTC or Furman.

Mocs123
December 16th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Chadwell was my first thought when Huesman left and is still by far my first choice. Durden is a legitimate candidate in my opinion but should not get the job over Chadwell. No offense to Rusty Wright, as I like the guy, but he should not be a legitimate candidate, in my opinion.

longtimemocfan
December 16th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Lot at play in these decisions.

Would be interesting for Chadwell if he lands neither the job at UTC or Furman.

I thought Furman already had their man picked out.

CSU18
December 16th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Word is that Furman did decide on Des Kitchings, although it isn't formal. I'm sure Chadwell would love to take the UTC job, but if he doesn't get it, I don't think it will be the end of the world for him. Next year's CSU team should be solid and I would expect he'd have another good year if he stays. If that happens I think he lands a G5 job for the 2018 season, which may not be a bad play for him.

CSU18
December 16th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Word is that Furman did decide on Des Kitchings, although it isn't formal. I'm sure Chadwell would love to take the UTC job, but if he doesn't get it, I don't think it will be the end of the world for him. Next year's CSU team should be solid and I would expect he'd have another good year if he stays. If that happens I think he lands a G5 job for the 2018 season, which may not be a bad play for him.

And just as I posted that, I learned that I was wrong. Furman job did not go to Kitchings and that job is still open. What do I know????

Mocs123
December 16th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I thought they would go with Clay Hendrix, but everything I have heard the past couple of days points to Kitchings(sp).

CSU18
December 16th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I thought they would go with Clay Hendrix, but everything I have heard the past couple of days points to Kitchings(sp).

Exactly what I saw, but footballscoop.com reported that Kitchings has not been offered the job as previously reported - didn't say he wouldn't be, just that he hadn't been offered as was previously reported.

OL FU
December 16th, 2016, 08:44 AM
It's pretty confusing. Lots of reporters tweated that it was Kitchings. The reported that it wasn't or that he changed his mind. Personally other than the report that the top three candidates were Kitchings, Hendrix and Chadwell, I don't think the reporters have a clue.

Mocs123
December 16th, 2016, 08:51 AM
For some reason my gut tells me it will be Hendrix, though I have no ties to the FU program, so in reality I have no idea :)

From what I hear he would be a good hire.

I hope we grab Chadwell. I think he would be a good coach and we have some unfinished business here in Chattanooga, and it starts against JSU on 8/26/17.

OL FU
December 16th, 2016, 09:46 AM
For some reason my gut tells me it will be Hendrix, though I have no ties to the FU program, so in reality I have no idea :)

From what I hear he would be a good hire.

I hope we grab Chadwell. I think he would be a good coach and we have some unfinished business here in Chattanooga, and it starts against JSU on 8/26/17.

Based on the uffp, it appears that the concern is we offered Kitchings and he said yes and then no. Which might make Hendrix skeptical about taking the job. Now of course, while there are people on the board that claim to know. No one does.

Milktruck74
December 16th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I really do not want to see the Mocs Run the TO. No offense to those that run the TO, but it is basically an offense to compensate for a lack of talented skill players. Those teams that do run it well (Citadel, Wofford) are successful with out the top notch talent. I foresee a reduction in skill level of our offense if we go to a TO, Talented WRs and QBs don't flock to schools that run the TO, and those recruits (WRs and QBs) often become DBs....So, while it may work for a few years, it'll be hard to comeback from later. If Chadwell comes to UTC, when he leaves in 5 years......where does that leave us?

Mocs123
December 16th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I am not sure if Chadwell will bring the TO with him. I am not sure I would say they run a true TO at CSU either as they average 143 passing yards per game. Perhaps some CSU or The Citadel fans can expand more. I have only seen CSU play one game last year so my sample size is small. I would love to hear more from people knowledgeable about his time at North Greenville and CSU.

I agree that I am not in favor of us running the TO in its true form and also agree that it is often used to compensate for a lack of skill players. If you look at TO teams they are often instituted at universities that are hard to recruit to, schools with strict academic requirements or military academies. While CSU doesn't fit into either of those categories, I can see it being a hard place to recruit to with the facilities they have. I certainly don't mean to insult the TO teams as when run well, it is a thing of beauty.

Mocs123
December 16th, 2016, 10:29 AM
I will also say that I think offenses all the way from SHSU's spread quick strike attack to The Citadel's TO attack can be successful, though personally, I prefer somewhere in between.

kdinva
December 16th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I really do not want to see the Mocs Run the TO. No offense to those that run the TO,....

from the vault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL1KsFmepk

Milktruck74
December 16th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I am not sure if Chadwell will bring the TO with him. I am not sure I would say they run a true TO at CSU either as they average 143 passing yards per game. Perhaps some CSU or The Citadel fans can expand more. I have only seen CSU play one game last year so my sample size is small. I would love to hear more from people knowledgeable about his time at North Greenville and CSU.

I agree that I am not in favor of us running the TO in its true form and also agree that it is often used to compensate for a lack of skill players. If you look at TO teams they are often instituted at universities that are hard to recruit to, schools with strict academic requirements or military academies. While CSU doesn't fit into either of those categories, I can see it being a hard place to recruit to with the facilities they have. I certainly don't mean to insult the TO teams as when run well, it is a thing of beauty.

Yeah, I did not intend my statement as a dig either...I just don't think it is a good fit for UTC....it damn sure is a good fit for Wofford and Citadel,they know how to make it work!!!

Milktruck74
December 16th, 2016, 10:46 AM
from the vault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL1KsFmepk

Why didn't you go back a few years? Maybe pull some video from the 4 man box (no QB) era?

CockyGeek
December 16th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I hope CSU takes somebody else's HC and we get to go through this every week during the off season

SENOREIDA
December 16th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I hope CSU takes somebody else's HC and we get to go through this every week during the off season
They will take a HC, probably from Goose Creek HS. This move won't make sense, because it will be seen as a step down in facilities.

Bucs2016
December 16th, 2016, 11:41 AM
They will take a HC, probably from Goose Creek HS. This move won't make sense, because it will be seen as a step down in facilities.

CCU still won't be able to win in our crappy stadium.

longtimemocfan
December 16th, 2016, 04:48 PM
If that's what he can win with I have no problem with the TO. I think he will adjust how much he runs or passes to the personal he has. His defenses always ranked as good or better than our defenses were.

chattownmocs
December 16th, 2016, 05:40 PM
I think alot of fans are completely missing the mark. Our fans are completely undervaluing russ as a recruiter and a football coach. I think the outside is completely ooverestimating the results. The results may have been a massive step up from what chattanooga had previously, but were a massive underachievment based on the program that russ huesman built.

Let's look back 2009, right on target. 2010-2013. Should have been 4 playoff teams. Those teams were all playoff caliber from a talent perspective. Heart wrenching losses despite being in position to win time and time again. 2014-2016. A bad loss here and there to get a poor draw and then the heart wrenching losses moved to the early round of the playoffs. These should have been deep runs. We should be looking back at about 6 playoff appearances and 2 or 3 semifinals right now.

Jamey chadwell is a home run hire and I definitely believe he can out perform huesman from an end result standpoint. Is he going to be able to recruit better talent than what huesman recruited? Highly doubtful. Will he have better defenses than we had under huesman. Highly doubtful. Better offenses than we had under durden? Probably not. But he doesn't need to in order to improve the results. Just wipe this close game bad mojo away and you'll be just fine Mr chadwell.

Mocs123
December 16th, 2016, 09:17 PM
I think recruiting will have a lot to do with the assistants hired or likely brought from CSU. While Huesman did a great job recruiting I think he had assistants like Will Healy that were rock star recruiters.

I am not sure if Chadwell can out recruit Huesman and co or not but he seemed to do a decent job at CSU and he should have a lot more to sell recruits at Chattanooga.

chattownmocs
December 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Russ Huesman has been a "rockstar" recruiter for a long, long time.

Mocs123
December 16th, 2016, 09:55 PM
You could be right, but either way I think Chadwell is the best hire we could have. I have been very impressed with what he has done at CSU.

Milktruck74
December 17th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Durden's interview was pushed to today. We should hear something tomorrow. They may be trying to get it announced in time to make the Sunday Morning Paper, Hahaah... Gonna miss the the DL for the advanced edition!!! Remember when the News paper print deadlines kinda dictated the timing of the press releases?

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 10:56 AM
As reported on the Moc Nation forum - the advisory committee has met with Dr. Angle in support of Jamey Chadwell.

We will see, I would expect an announcement tomorrow sometime.

I will also add that at least once, Blackburn pulled off a hire that nobody saw coming, nor was one of the names we were talking about (WBB - Jim Foster). That being said, Chadwell has my support.

JSUSoutherner
December 17th, 2016, 11:06 AM
The possibility that Chadwell may be the new HC has me feeling incredibly uneasy about the kickoff game.

citdog
December 17th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Choadewell has no class. Russ Huesman is class personified.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 11:13 AM
The possibility that Chadwell may be the new HC has me feeling incredibly uneasy about the kickoff game.

It ought to be a good game, we have a lot coming back, but we also lost 3 starters on the O-Line and D-Line, so there will be a lot of new faces for the Mocs in that game. I know JSU will have a few themselves too though.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 11:16 AM

I can certainly agree with the last part, I thought Russ led this program the right way. I have no idea about the first part, as I have only watched one CSU and have seen a couple of his post game interviews.

I know there is bad blood between Chadwell (and CSU in general) and The Citadel - what is the background story on that?

Everyone I talk to says he can really coach.

JSUSoutherner
December 17th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Russ Huesman can go sit on a choad. Chadwell is class personified.
FIFY

That's the way I saw it last year when we had them in the playoffs.

It ought to be a good game, we have a lot coming back, but we also lost 3 starters on the O-Line and D-Line, so there will be a lot of new faces for the Mocs in that game. I know JSU will have a few themselves too though.
We are only losing three on defense so we should be fine. The offense will be interesting to see. I think Horn will be a solid QB if he ends up being our guy. Having Roc back will help tremendously. We just need to fix the gaping hole that is our O-line. Losing three guys is gonna blow. Oh and Barge. That's gonna be a big loss.

moc n tn1991
December 17th, 2016, 11:24 AM
What is the deal with Chadwell having no class? I would like to hear a solid reason why that is being said.

citdog
December 17th, 2016, 11:26 AM
What us the deal with Chadwell having no class? I would like to hear a solid reason why that is being said.

Google

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I know CSU and The Citadel like each other as much as UTC and JSU or worse, so there is bad blood there anyways.

JSU Southerner - The way you feel about Huesman - I feel about Barge

citdog
December 17th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I know CSU and The Citadel like each other as much as UTC and JSU or worse, so there is bad blood there anyways.

ladson southern isn't worthy of hate. We reserve that for QUALITY institutions like vermin and virginia's marching idiots.

Scrappy94
December 17th, 2016, 11:41 AM
I have to agree with you about Huesman. He's one of the classiest and most professional head coaches I've met. Not sure about Chadwell though. Don't know enough about him to say.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

chattownmocs
December 17th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Huesman had an edge and so does chadwell. Huesman wasn't any more classy the average coach and chadwell is far from the first to rub it in when a rival doesn't want to play them at their place

Scrappy94
December 17th, 2016, 11:46 AM
FIFY

That's the way I saw it last year when we had them in the playoffs.

We are only losing three on defense so we should be fine. The offense will be interesting to see. I think Horn will be a solid QB if he ends up being our guy. Having Roc back will help tremendously. We just need to fix the gaping hole that is our O-line. Losing three guys is gonna blow. Oh and Barge. That's gonna be a big loss.
You can't judge someone's personality from one meeting. It was the playoffs and a rivalry game. Everyone, including him, was a little heated. Huesman is very classy and down to Earth. You saw him under bad circumstances with an overtime loss and the end of his son's collegiate career. Any other time, and he would be very polite to anyone.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

moc n tn1991
December 17th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Google

So it basically comes down to bad blood due to the rivalry between the 2 schools.

citdog
December 17th, 2016, 11:48 AM
So it basically comes down to bad blood due to the rivalry between the 2 schools.

It's not a rivalry.

moc n tn1991
December 17th, 2016, 11:49 AM
???

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 11:56 AM
You may refuse to think its a rivalry as I realize they have no real football history and it is a small school without tons of fan support, but another D1 school a mere few miles away which you play regularly and the games are generally hard fought and close seems like a rivalry.

I realize it is odd, as CSU has very little history, and The Citadel has more than just about any school in the southeast, but it looks like a rivalry to me.

moc n tn1991
December 17th, 2016, 12:11 PM
That is what I was thinking. When you hate a team that (aka, CHATTANOOGA-Marshall in basketball back in the day).

BullDog85
December 17th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Chadwell runs what I would call the shotgun triple option. If you stack the box on him he will throw the ball. His offense throws the ball a lot more than pure TO. His blocking scheme has a lot of wrinkles in it. Very hard to read.

moc n tn1991
December 17th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I think Bennifield would work well in that offense. The couple times he ran the option with Bagley looked really sweet.

JSUSoutherner
December 17th, 2016, 12:53 PM

I never worried about Huesman making our cornerbacks look like high schoolers? :D

PaladinFan
December 17th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Chadwell runs what I would call the shotgun triple option. If you stack the box on him he will throw the ball. His offense throws the ball a lot more than pure TO. His blocking scheme has a lot of wrinkles in it. Very hard to read.

My opinion, but the offense looks a lot like Wofford's with more passing.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I wonder if he will run the same offense at UTC (assuming he comes). Bennifield can run, though I am not sure he could take the beating of the TO, and he has a heck of an arm. We also only have 3 scholarship running backs on the roster and I would have expected us to pick up a big running back in recruiting.

Our backup QB, Weatherly can run too, but I still think he is in the Bennifield mold where he is more of a throwing QB.

Our 3 running backs are SR-Bagley, and JR's Trotter and Nalls.

Cocky
December 17th, 2016, 01:38 PM

Both are gone

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Both are gone

True, I am going to guess we still don't like each other.:)

Can't wait for the Kickoff.

moc n tn1991
December 17th, 2016, 01:51 PM
I wonder if he will run the same offense at UTC (assuming he comes). Bennifield can run, though I am not sure he could take the beating of the TO, and he has a heck of an arm. We also only have 3 scholarship running backs on the roster and I would have expected us to pick up a big running back in recruiting.

Our backup QB, Weatherly can run too, but I still think he is in the Bennifield mold where he is more of a throwing QB.

Our 3 running backs are SR-Bagley, and JR's Trotter and Nalls.

As far as QB, what about Coke Copeland. From what I heard, he was set on coming to CHATTANOOGA,and is a true dual threat qb.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Copeland does appear to be able to really run, but I thought of him as a throw first QB too.

We also have (maybe) Nick Tiano who is dual threat.

Appaholic
December 17th, 2016, 02:27 PM

xlolx

NorthChuckSouth
December 17th, 2016, 05:50 PM
I wonder if he will run the same offense at UTC (assuming he comes). Bennifield can run, though I am not sure he could take the beating of the TO, and he has a heck of an arm. We also only have 3 scholarship running backs on the roster and I would have expected us to pick up a big running back in recruiting. .

98% chance he runs the same offense.. that's his bread and butter. Ran it at CSU, Delta State, and North Greenville. Solid option and works.

what is critical is if he's able to get the DC Chad Staggs to come with him.. we had dang good defenses the four years they have been here and the defense kept us in/won at least 70% of our games. Especially the playoff game against the school down the road last year.

Milktruck74
December 17th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Initially the Chadwell thing made me nervous, I don't see the TO as a good fit at UTC (given the players). However, the more I look at him, the more excited I get. His O is not really a traditional TO, they use the pass pretty often.....and the guy knows how to win. He has been able to win (often times against the odds) everywhere he has been. I'm starting to look at him a little differently. If he is announced, I'll feel good about it.

longtimemocfan
December 17th, 2016, 07:02 PM
98% chance he runs the same offense.. that's his bread and butter. Ran it at CSU, Delta State, and North Greenville. Solid option and works.

what is critical is if he's able to get the DC Chad Staggs to come with him.. we had dang good defenses the four years they have been here and the defense kept us in/won at least 70% of our games. Especially the playoff game against the school down the road last year.

I don't have a problem with it. I know when Huesman got the job one of the candidates was Mike Sewak. I think he is still with Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech former head coach at Georgia Southern. I never heard too many grumblings about him.

longtimemocfan
December 17th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Initially the Chadwell thing made me nervous, I don't see the TO as a good fit at UTC (given the players). However, the more I look at him, the more excited I get. His O is not really a traditional TO, they use the pass pretty often.....and the guy knows how to win. He has been able to win (often times against the odds) everywhere he has been. I'm starting to look at him a little differently. If he is announced, I'll feel good about it.

I know what your saying. I think we're pretty fortunate he is still available. Wasn't too excited about too many of the other candidates.

utcfan
December 17th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Players and coaches will adjust. Hiring a HC with a proven record is a good deal for UTC

utcfan
December 17th, 2016, 07:16 PM

Unless he becomes the next HC at CSU, UTC will likely give him a big bump in pay. Also, UTC DC is headed to Richmond.

utcfan
December 17th, 2016, 07:19 PM
I know what your saying. I think we're pretty fortunate he is still available. Wasn't too excited about too many of the other candidates.
We were only aware of 3. I think (hope?) if JC turns us down, the search might be extended and more coaches brought in, if not it will be disappointing but I guess I prefer Durden to Wright , but not real sure.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 17th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Unless he becomes the next HC at CSU, UTC will likely give him a big bump in pay. Also, UTC DC is headed to Richmond.

How do you like Braithwaite?

longtimemocfan
December 17th, 2016, 07:42 PM

You mean Huesman lol....I sit directly behind the defensive huddle in the stadium....Most of the time Braithwaite does the coaching, but if we gave up a long scoring play for a TD Russ would be over there overseeing the huddle and putting in his input. Good young DC.

longtimemocfan
December 17th, 2016, 07:58 PM
We were only aware of 3. I think (hope?) if JC turns us down, the search might be extended and more coaches brought in, if not it will be disappointing but I guess I prefer Durden to Wright , but not real sure.

I think those 3 were the only ones interviewed and besides Chadwell the other 2 were already on the staff. If for some reason JC doesn't get named I think they would interview some of other 12 mentioned in the paper.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 08:21 PM

Both he and his predecessor Fuller ran Huesmans defense. It always looks pretty good and Huesman always gave the credit to the DC but it's like an Alabama defense with Nick Saban; it's always his defense.

Huesman and Braithwaite will do just fine on the defensive side.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I think those 3 were the only ones interviewed and besides Chadwell the other 2 were already on the staff. If for some reason JC doesn't get named I think they would interview some of other 12 mentioned in the paper.

Unless something crazy happens (and it always could) I expect JC to be our coach on Monday.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 08:25 PM

Hopefully he is able to bring Staggs, but I wonder if CSU may try and tap him or the OC as the HC replacement.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 08:31 PM

I actually watched a couple of CSU games today on the laptop while the wife was watching hallmark movies. I had previously only seen the JSU game last year. I think we should adjust ok. Not sure about the OLine as the blocking schemes may be different. On defense it looks like they play a 4-3-4 rather than the 4-2-5 we ran the past few years. They blitzed more than we did under Huesman.

longtimemocfan
December 17th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Unless something crazy happens (and it always could) I expect JC to be our coach on Monday. I would hope so.

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2016, 11:57 AM
I wonder what the hold up is? I thought there would have been an announcement by now.

Bucs2016
December 18th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Hopefully he is able to bring Staggs, but I wonder if CSU may try and tap him or the OC as the HC replacement.

I really hope Chadwell doesn't get it because we want to keep him haha!! But UTC can pay him more and has more resources, so if he leaves I can't blame him.

I do however pray we offer Staggs the HC job if JC leaves. Our defense has truly been the reason for 90% of our success lately. As good as Chadwell is, Staggs is the hidden gem. If we lose JC but give HC to Staggs I won't be too upset.

Bucs2016
December 18th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I wonder what the hold up is? I thought there would have been an announcement by now.

Any chance the players are lobbying for an internal hire but AD is leaning Chadwell and they're split on it? Players are very passionate about their coaches when things are going well. I bet many UTC players aren't thrilled about a Chadwell hire. UTC is playing excellent so this isn't an "out with the bad in with new" scenario, so they may want a UTC staff promotion rather than a whole new staff coming in.

kdinva
December 18th, 2016, 12:59 PM
.....so they may want a UTC staff promotion rather than a whole new staff coming in.

Durden has surely paid his dues by now....

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Doubtful...Huesman is taking a big contingent of his guys with him. Right now the only two others to interview are Rusty Wright (LBs coach) and Jeff Durden (OC). Durden has some cred, but honestly, our offense could use a little life. I really like Rusty but he would be a serious risk....but with big risk comes big rewards. I know the players like him....but I really don't see him as the guy.

chattanoogamocs
December 18th, 2016, 02:25 PM
It's not going to be Wright or Durden.

All eyes to Chadwell.

Bucs2016
December 18th, 2016, 03:21 PM
It's not going to be Wright or Durden.

All eyes to Chadwell.

Rumors in Charleston are it's gonna be Chadwell, he's just wanting to have a team meeting to say goodbye to his CSU players. But you know rumors.

I just hope CSU names the DC Stagg as head coach. Our D made us playoff contenders and keeping him would be huge.

BigSouthFan
December 18th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Rumors in Charleston are it's gonna be Chadwell, he's just wanting to have a team meeting to say goodbye to his CSU players. But you know rumors.

I just hope CSU names the DC Stagg as head coach. Our D made us playoff contenders and keeping him would be huge.

Multiple Charleston news outlets reporting on Twitter that Chadwell and others said he DID NOT get the job.

Welcome back.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Multiple Charleston news outlets reporting on Twitter that Chadwell and others said he DID NOT get the job.

Welcome back.

I hope your wrong. There have been no other candidates that interviewed that interest me near as much as Chadwell. Unless there is a surprise rock star that hasn't been leaked, it better be Chadwell.

NorthChuckSouth
December 18th, 2016, 04:05 PM

Welcome back.

https://twitter.com/DarenStoltzfus/status/810602937739341824

ASU33
December 18th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Has Furman made a hire yet?

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I don't know if its official yet, but Furman has reportedly hired Clay Hendrix.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Durden just posted on Twitter that he was informed that he didn't get the job.

If not Durden and Chadwell than who?

Chadwell, it seemed to me, was a no-brainier pick.

Sandlapper Spike
December 18th, 2016, 04:15 PM
UTC is apparently going to hire John Carroll head coach Tom Arth.

citdog
December 18th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Tommy West

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Mocfans.com is now saying this guy may be the one:

Tom Arth
Head Coach
John Carroll Univerity

Anyone know anything about him? If true, this is out of left field.

- - - Updated - - -

UTC is apparently going to hire John Carroll head coach Tom Arth.

What are your thoughts on him. I have never heard his name mentioned.

Daytripper
December 18th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Mocfans.com is now saying this guy may be the one:

Tom Arth
Head Coach
John Carroll Univerity

Anyone know anything about him? If true, this is out of left field.

- - - Updated - - -

What are your thoughts on him. I have never heard his name mentioned.

I just know it is a helluva big jump from DIII to FCS.

Sandlapper Spike
December 18th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I think the selection of Arth can be traced to Peyton Manning. Arth was a backup QB for the Colts for a few years.

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Peyton Manning may be on the coaching staff.

kdinva
December 18th, 2016, 04:28 PM
If that is the choice, I hope Durden moves over to UR, too....

Scrappy94
December 18th, 2016, 04:35 PM
I wonder why Chadwell wasn't offered?

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Well here is what's pretty clear. The connection between Arth and blackburn can only be chattanooga resident peyton manning. So either he called blackburn or blackburn called him. I don't know whether peyton manning is part of the deal or not, but he said he wants to coach QBs and what better way to start your career.

Regardless of Peyton Manning though. Tom Arth is 40-8 at his current job and played in the NFL.

Jamey chadwell runs a variation of the option. We may not want that. He went 10-3 is first year and 7-4 his 4th year which does raise some small questions. I am tickled to death with this hire and I can't wait for the closet alabama and georgia fans to come out and denounce it because of their idiotic vitriol for all things Tennessee.

PaladinFan
December 18th, 2016, 04:47 PM

A lot of these negotiations are very black box. Rumors and innuendo about who and what was offered abound.

Odd, though, that with two open SoCon jobs Chadwell appears to have landed in neither of them. Not sure what to make of that.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Arth may end up being a great hire, he was D3 coach of the year and has a phenomenal record at that level, but it is a risky hire IMO. It is a big step up from non scholarship D3 to a top ten FCS program.

I hope we don't lose all that Huesman accomplished.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 04:52 PM

This appears to be a political move by Blackburn to secure the UTK AD job. Arth was a backup QB for Payton for the Colts for 3 years.

Arth may be a good hire in the end, but to offer him over a proven D1 FCS coach is crazy.

moc n tn1991
December 18th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I am totally frustrated!!!!!

utcfan
December 18th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Maybe Arth can get some Peyton Manning money headed to UTC. 40-8 is impressive but as someone said earlier it's a big jump from D3 to FCS. I will take a wait and see approach as I am a little underwhelmed at this moment.

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Everyone remember now, these same guys thought thomas brown was a perfectly legitimate candidate and at least one wanted him to the head coach of UTC. But not someone with even a distant connection with the university of tennessee.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 05:15 PM
It isn't the fact that he has a connection to Payton Manning that I have a problem with, nor is it a TN connection. I just think it is a big jump from D3 to FCS and a very risky hire for a top 10 FCS program.

It's the motives that I have a problem with. Chattanooga has been on the wrong side of deals like this for way too long.

He may end up being a great coach. I guess I will have to wait until the end of next season before I can complain, but Chadwell was a proven coach and as solid of a hire as you could have gotten, building a top 15 program at CSU, but we hire a D3 coach instead.

- - - Updated - - -

And the UTK connection was not why I was not in favor of Thomas Brown.

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 05:23 PM
It isn't the fact that he has a connection to Payton Manning that I have a problem with, nor is it a TN connection. I just think it is a big jump from D3 to FCS and a very risky hire for a top 10 FCS program.

It's the motives that I have a problem with. Chattanooga has been on the wrong side of deals like this for way too long.

He may end up being a great coach. I guess I will have to wait until the end of next season before I can complain, but Chadwell was a proven coach and as solid of a hire as you could have gotten, building a top 15 program at CSU, but we hire a D3 coach instead.

- - - Updated - - -

And the UTK connection was not why I was not in favor of Thomas Brown.

Thomas brown has no "utk" connection. He's RB coach on his 6th job in 6 years. He was the most ridiculous candidate that was ever mentioned besides maybe rusty wright. 1 person actually wanted him and others didn't want him only because he changes jobs a lot.

NorthChuckSouth
December 18th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Jamey chadwell runs a variation of the option. We may not want that. He went 10-3 is first year and 7-4 his 4th year which does raise some small questions.

The 10-3 year included 2 d2 wins and no playoff.. lost last two games to gwu and blown out by Liberty and a loss to Colorado. This year we lost to NDSU, FSU, GWU, and Wofford in the playoffs but won conference so even though the record doesn't show it the program has improved.

CockyGeek
December 18th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Reading message board rumblings that Arth is a done deal and that Chadwell is involved in recruiting violations??

Bucs2016
December 18th, 2016, 05:36 PM
A lot of these negotiations are very black box. Rumors and innuendo about who and what was offered abound.

Odd, though, that with two open SoCon jobs Chadwell appears to have landed in neither of them. Not sure what to make of that.

YES!!! Chadwell staying with is a bit longer!! Honestly I think he has a little bit of Steve Spurrier personality. He can be feisty and rub opponents wrong sometimes. Some may not want that.

Good luck UTC. Glad yall didn't take our coach from us. Maybe we'll see yall in a playoff game next year!

- - - Updated - - -

The 10-3 year included 2 d2 wins and no playoff.. lost last two games to gwu and blown out by Liberty and a loss to Colorado. This year we lost to NDSU, FSU, GWU, and Wofford in the playoffs but won conference so even though the record doesn't show it the program has improved.

100% agree.

moc n tn1991
December 18th, 2016, 05:36 PM
If we get there....

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2016, 05:39 PM
The concern I have with Arth is what does his rolodex look like? For both recruiting players and staff? HE obviously has an Ohio connection (coming from JC), but he has to bring on staff with connections in Atlanta and down into FL. And who does he have for a DC...The guy is a solid Offensive mind, but we got to keep the D rolling!!!

rokamortis
December 18th, 2016, 05:39 PM

https://twitter.com/StephenHargis/status/810609850195578880

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 05:46 PM
The concern I have with Arth is what does his rolodex look like? For both recruiting players and staff? HE obviously has an Ohio connection (coming from JC), but he has to bring on staff with connections in Atlanta and down into FL. And who does he have for a DC...The guy is a solid Offensive mind, but we got to keep the D rolling!!!

Why does he need to recruit florida?

- - - Updated - - -

Again about jamey chadwell recruiting, he went 10-3 his first year. Apparently the previous staff left him something.

Scrappy94
December 18th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Deal is done. Tom Arth is the new Mocs head football coach. UTC to make announcement on Monday.

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2016, 05:49 PM

Because there are a ton of top notch athletes down there....same with Atlanta.

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Because there are a ton of top notch athletes down there....same with Atlanta.

Waste of money. Our current staff found that already. Plenty of talent within 150 miles. You do realize this guy was in the NFL right?

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 06:01 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Again about jamey chadwell recruiting, he went 10-3 his first year. Apparently the previous staff left him something.

On point 1. I agree that we don't have to recruit Florida though there is tons of talent there. I also agree there is enough talent within ~150 miles if we can get it.

On point 2. Have you seen the dump of a stadium that CSU plays in. I really don't mean that as an insult to CSU as I realize the economics of things, and sometimes you have to make do with what you have, but it is a glorified HS stadium.

JSUSoutherner
December 18th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Waste of money. Our current staff found that already. Plenty of talent within 150 miles. You do realize this guy was in the NFL right?
Yeah, playing QB on the Colts practice squad/ sitting on IR. It's not like he has NFL coaching experience.

walliver
December 18th, 2016, 06:04 PM
https://twitter.com/StephenHargis/status/810609850195578880

I have read reports that FU was also concerned about some type of NCAA problem.

I have seen no specific details, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lehigh'98
December 18th, 2016, 06:05 PM
I like the hire. It's never easy coming up from d3, but if you are a good coach, you will adjust quickly

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 06:07 PM
On point 1. I agree that we don't have to recruit Florida though there is tons of talent there. I also agree there is enough talent within ~150 miles if we can get it.

On point 2. Have you seen the dump of a stadium that CSU plays in. I really don't mean that as an insult to CSU as I realize the economics of things, and sometimes you have to make do with what you have, but it is a glorified HS stadium.

And he went 10-3 his first year. Which means him and the previous guy most have recruited well.

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Yeah, playing QB on the Colts practice squad/ sitting on IR. It's not like he has NFL coaching experience.

So he doesn't know anyone in the nfl because he wasn't coaching? I think it's obvious his relationship with peyton manning helped him get this job so I'm not sure that I would question his relationships.

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2016, 06:10 PM

Idon't disagree that there is plenty of talent, but we don't have a lock on it....and there are several more schools vying for the same kids.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 06:11 PM
In the 4 years before Arth was HC, John Carroll U was 3-9, 5-5, 5-5, and 6-4. In the 4 years he has been the HC they have been 9-2, 11-2, 8-2, and 12-2

Daytripper
December 18th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Probably a good coach. Hope he does well. Chadwell has a lot of baggage that kept him from getting the job. I expect Peyton Manning to build CSU a new stadium.

moc n tn1991
December 18th, 2016, 06:56 PM
???

longtimemocfan
December 18th, 2016, 07:30 PM

I bet some of the Furman posters can contribute to this, but evidently Chadwell has baggage that might be rather risky and could be more to come.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Probably a good coach. Hope he does well. Chadwell has a lot of baggage that kept him from getting the job. I expect Peyton Manning to build CSU a new stadium.

Why would Peyton build CSU a new stadium? If you are referring to UTC, we have a very nice facility built in 1997.

PaladinNation
December 18th, 2016, 07:35 PM
I bet some of the Furman posters can attribute to this, but evidently Chadwell has baggage that might be rather risky and could be more to come.

Heard the same thing… Chadwell risky at this time. Interesting that after the Furman interviews no mention of Chadwell, it was all Kitchings and Hendrix. Hendrix was the right choice all along… thank god it's worked out. Concerning Furman hold tight, rumour is a big OC announcement with the new head coach announcement tomorrow.

Congrats on Arth… he was mentioned on the Furman board as a coach Furman should look into, went to the same HS as our AD.

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Some of those that are furious would be thrilledwith healy. A terrible position coach who's claim to fame are mythical recruiting rankings that pop up on national signing day because he knows people at 247.

This guy just beat Mount Union AND Wisconsin-Whitewater. Do any of you have a clue what type of strangle hold those programs have had over D3 football?

Daytripper
December 18th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Why would Peyton build CSU a new stadium? If you are referring to UTC, we have a very nice facility built in 1997.

Oops, my bad. Afternoon cocktails are awesome.

moc n tn1991
December 18th, 2016, 07:42 PM
i do know those names. I have a coworker that played D3 as a OL in Indiana, and he made mention of Mount Union.

utcfan
December 18th, 2016, 07:42 PM
So he doesn't know anyone in the nfl because he wasn't coaching? I think it's obvious his relationship with peyton manning helped him get this job so I'm not sure that I would question his relationships.

according to Steve Hargis (writer) Manning connections had nothing to do with the hire.....I hope it did and check is on the way.

utcfan
December 18th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Some of those that are furious would be thrilledwith healy. A terrible position coach who's claim to fame are mythical recruiting rankings that pop up on national signing day because he knows people at 247.

This guy just beat Mount Union AND Wisconsin-Whitewater. Do any of you have a clue what type of strangle hold those programs have had over D3 football?

I really don't know many that were on the Healy train. Most thought Chadwell was coming also heard a rumor about Shane Montgomery possibly being the HC. TA will have to prove himself by the staff he brings, holding and maybe adding to recruiting class and winning next year.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 07:50 PM

I am not furious, just shocked. This wasn't a direction that I saw us going in. We will look back in three or four years and be able to see if this was a rockstar hire or a flop. I was also surprised that Austin Peay hired our WR Coach as their HC even though I think he will do fine, just a lot to learn. Arth will have a lot to learn too.

This is similar to a P5 school hiring a FCS head coach, sure it happens, and they may turn out fine, but usually one would step from FCS to G5 then P5.

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 07:51 PM
according to Steve Hargis (writer) Manning connections had nothing to do with the hire.....I hope it did and check is on the way.

Stephen Hargis is wrong about everything. Obviously they are gonna say that. I don't think it is a complete coincidence that David Blackburn worked in the tennessee football program when peyton manning was there, and that tom arth and peyton manning are friends to this day.

That seems far fetched. I'm willing to bet there was at least a call there whether it was from peyton to david or david to peyton.

moc n tn1991
December 18th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Peyton may have been one of Tom's references.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2016, 07:54 PM
This hire will either look really smart in 3 years or really dumb, and there's no in between.

On one side, he clearly can coach by virtue of his record, but as some have said there's a significant step up from D3 to FCS, scholarships being one of them. Unpopular opinion but I think there's a lot more parity at FCS in terms of talent and the question of recruiting is often over-inflated.

So in that regard, I think it's a good hire. He doesn't inherit an empty cupboard talent-wise either, so he'll have that going for him. With that said, I think the biggest variable working against him is the recruiting game and the fact that FCS is a huge step up from D3. It's very much like an FCS coach taking a power 5 job.

Not to rag on the coaches of D3, but I think the consistency of certain programs and the fact that there aren't scholarships says a lot about the division in the sense that coaching probably has more to do with success than programs that have to be strategic with scholarships.

chattownmocs
December 18th, 2016, 07:55 PM
The more I read the more I like. I'm no fan of the option. But this is a traditional style NFL QB who apparently switched to the option before the year to better fit his personnel. There aren't many guys that would do that.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2016, 07:57 PM
It's honestly not a bad hire. I think it'll work well for the Mocs.

utcfan
December 18th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Just bring in an OC to run same scheme UTC has had success with the last several years.

moc n tn1991
December 18th, 2016, 08:01 PM
And a top rate DC

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Just bring in an OC to run same scheme UTC has had success with the last several years.

I am guessing Durden would have no interest in staying at Chattanooga.

His DC was the DC at JMU in 2014.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 08:21 PM
The more I read the more I like. I'm no fan of the option. But this is a traditional style NFL QB who apparently switched to the option before the year to better fit his personnel. There aren't many guys that would do that.

Some stats for comparison on offensive philosophies:

Their QB ran the ball 75 times in 14 games last season. In contrast, Bennifield ran the ball 114 times in 13 games last year.

Their QB had 434 passing attempts in 14 games, while Bennifield had 331 attempts.

JCU had 514 rushing attempts last year in 14 games and we had 531 rushing attempts in 13 games.

ur2k
December 18th, 2016, 08:26 PM
I am guessing Durden would have no interest in staying at Chattanooga.

His DC was the DC at JMU in 2014.

He tweeted today that he's moving to VA. Assume he's our new OC

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2016, 08:42 PM
UR gave Russ some bank to pay his assistants....We probably couldn't pay what it would take, even if he was interested in sticking around.

utcfan
December 18th, 2016, 09:06 PM
UR gave Russ some bank to pay his assistants....We probably couldn't pay what it would take, even if he was interested in sticking around.

He was only staying if HC.

utcfan
December 18th, 2016, 09:08 PM

Something UTC failed to take care of last year with RH and staff. Put him at $350K and improve AC pay and might not be looking for a new staff. But we know budget is a perineal issue for UTC.

chattanoogamocs
December 18th, 2016, 09:09 PM
As a friend just pointed out (and maybe it was here too, not going to read back through 25 pages to see)...

KC Keeler jumped from D3 to Delaware and I think most would agree that he has done pretty well at the FCS level.

All that being said, I was hoping for Chadwell.

Oh well, I have seen 1-win and I have seen top 10...I ain't goin' anywhere. Though I sure do enjoy winning more than losing.

I also thought hiring guys like Will Wade and Matt McCall for basketball were iffy and all those guys did is put together the best record in the entire state of Tennessee over the last 4 years. So what do I know.

TheEagleSHSU
December 18th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Just read back through. Chatty fans are y'all happy with this hire?