PDA

View Full Version : FAMU needs $622K for mandatory stadium repairs, how to pay for it?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 04:16 PM
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2016/12/13/famu-needs-622k-mandatory-repairs-bragg-stadium/95367934/

What a cluster.,

The athletic department's revenue is projected to fall $651,724 short of its $8,937,500 budget. So far, the athletic department has made $3,856,893 in revenue.

And the FAMU Foundation can’t simply cut a check to fix Bragg. The Foundation has already dedicated millions to paying back the athletic department’s deficit, which was last tallied at nearly $7.5 million.

The Foundation is in charge of the first three years of the repayment plan for the deficit.

Not surprisingly, the Rattler Boosters were a topic of conversation during the Tuesday meeting. Cotton, who is also the executive director of the FAMU Foundation, made one thing clear: The Boosters have no more funds to provide FAMU athletics.

Overton budgeted for hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Boosters after the organization was ordered by the BOT to give up the rights to game-day parking. Instead, after months of back and forth, he received one check for $30,000 from the Boosters.

“We’ve met with the Boosters and their executive committee and really worked with them,” Cotton said. “To their credit, I would be remiss in not saying they’ve worked with us, too. They’re provided, quite frankly, the funding they had at the time.

“There just isn’t any additional money. I don’t know the full answer to what happened to all of the money. My general response is, they managed it as best they could and provided us with what they had. What we’ve decided is to move forward from there.”

BOT Chairman Kelvin Lawson insisted Overton and Cotton plan for the possibility that the athletic department can’t raise the funds it needs.

He added it was “troubling” that funds from the Boosters are not forthcoming, and said the BOT is still weighing a potential audit of the organization. The Boosters recently were restructured by the BOT – Executive Director Mickey Clayton’s contract was not renewed.

PAllen
December 13th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Play 2 of FSU, Florida, USF, UCF. Next question.

Go...gate
December 13th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Play 2 of FSU, Florida, USF, UCF, Miami. Next question.

Don't forget the Hurricanes.

ASU33
December 13th, 2016, 10:47 PM
FAMU is a mess and has been for 15+ years now.

dgtw
December 13th, 2016, 11:39 PM
FAMU is a mess and has been for 15+ years now.

Did they just never recover from their attempt to move to FBS? Or is it deeper than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASU33
December 14th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Did they just never recover from their attempt to move to FBS? Or is it deeper than that?

Deeper

Bucs2016
December 14th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Play an FBS game. Problem solved.

Libertine
December 14th, 2016, 06:58 AM
FAMU has played an FBS game every year since 2009. Obviously, that isn't sufficient.

superman7515
December 14th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Bragg Memorial Stadium needs $622,000 in structural repairs and internal stair replacement, or FAMU’s home games might have to be played elsewhere. The decades-old stadium was last renovated in 1980.
Still, there is a tentative contingency plan in place. Patrons at Bragg will be relocated to "safe zones" and portable seating will be brought in for fans while areas are under construction — if construction begins at all before next football season...

It was renovated in 1980/81 because the stadium was condemned in 1980 and they had to make emergency repairs to it because they had no place to play the next year. They haven't improved it since.

PAllen
December 14th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Don't forget the Hurricanes.

I was thinking Florida state schools that are a bus ride away, but yeah, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, UGA, Ole Miss, and Miss St. would all be relatively easy trips as well.

DFW HOYA
December 14th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Closing or condemning field space is no guarantee of getting it fixed. Georgetown's old football home was closed in 2003, hasn't been repaired since, and may not be ultimately be settled until as late as 2037.

http://www.thehoya.com/kehoe-field-an-obstacle-course-of-injury-risks/

I do agree a school like FAMU, in the state capital no less, should be able to resolve this.

dgtw
December 15th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Deeper

How deep is it?

(Johnny Carson reference for you kiddies).