PDA

View Full Version : Is another NDSU title a good thing for the FCS?

Pages : [1] 2

dudeitsaid
December 13th, 2016, 01:40 AM
I think this question has been asked before, but cannot locate the thread from last year or the year before.

I believe that NDSU football has done more for the FCS than maybe any other single team, in terms of building interest on a national scale. Their success against the FBS, successive national championships, and resulting profile on ESPN's national stage are just a couple of the reasons they've become one of the most, if not the most well known FCS teams in the country.

Obviously, they have at least a 25% chance of winning another title, and I'm sure the Vegas odds-makers would rate that chance even higher.

But is there a tipping point at which the lack of drama created by a sixth national championship actually becomes a turnoff to FCS fans? Can another Bison trophy actually be good for Bison fans, but bad for the FCS in general?

For me personally, of course, I would personally love to see my Eagles hoist the trophy. But if the football gods do not smile on EWU this year, I would personally prefer to see someone other than the Bison at the top (nothing against Bison fans...and yes, I think I already know what your answers will be.)

bonarae
December 13th, 2016, 01:52 AM
I think it has to be a mixed bag IMHO. But for a general college sports fan like me who loves to watch all three NCAA divisions and NAIA, any dynasty is bad.

UNHWildcat18
December 13th, 2016, 02:00 AM
I think this question has been asked before, but cannot locate the thread from last year or the year before.

I believe that NDSU football has done more for the FCS than maybe any other single team, in terms of building interest on a national scale. Their success against the FBS, successive national championships, and resulting profile on ESPN's national stage are just a couple of the reasons they've become one of the most, if not the most well known FCS teams in the country.

Obviously, they have at least a 25% chance of winning another title, and I'm sure the Vegas odds-makers would rate that chance even higher.

But is there a tipping point at which the lack of drama created by a sixth national championship actually becomes a turnoff to FCS fans? Can another Bison trophy actually be good for Bison fans, but bad for the FCS in general?

For me personally, of course, I would personally love to see my Eagles hoist the trophy. But if the football gods do not smile on EWU this year, I would personally prefer to see someone other than the Bison at the top (nothing against Bison fans...and yes, I think I already know what your answers will be.) I agree with your points. I think at this point it would be overkill, when something becomes a norm it makes things dull and less interesting IMHO.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2016, 04:04 AM
exactly, just makes the FCS more obscure than it already is.... cant blame the Bison for winning (Or can we?) but cant deny the results either meaning FCS is Nowhere Land.... I was talking with a co worker the other day, he mentioned he was a big sports fan and a college football fan and he was from Ohio, I mentioned hey Youngstown State is in the FCS Semi Finals and he broke out into a big laugh, I took it to mean he thought any talk of Youngstown State football in Ohio is a kind of like a dirty joke.... this happens a lot and not just Ohio

The disrespect for FCS is universal ...it's just not ESPN

kdinva
December 13th, 2016, 05:15 AM
......I mentioned hey Youngstown State is in the FCS Semi Finals and he broke out into a big laugh, I took it to mean he thought any talk of Youngstown State football in Ohio is a kind of like a dirty joke...The disrespect for FCS is universal ...it's just not ESPN

The Richmond Times-Dispatch sponsors every season the "Dudley Award".....sort of Virginia's Heisman for 1-A and 1-AA players. Anyway yesterday JMU's QB Schor won this award.....the fifth straight year a Virginia FCS player (4th JMU player in a row) won this award, and the VPI and UVa boosters are all agast.....

bonarae
December 13th, 2016, 05:38 AM
exactly, just makes the FCS more obscure than it already is.... cant blame the Bison for winning (Or can we?) but cant deny the results either meaning FCS is Nowhere Land.... I was talking with a co worker the other day, he mentioned he was a big sports fan and a college football fan and he was from Ohio, I mentioned hey Youngstown State is in the FCS Semi Finals and he broke out into a big laugh, I took it to mean he thought any talk of Youngstown State football in Ohio is a kind of like a dirty joke.... this happens a lot and not just Ohio

Add in the facts that the Ivies and the HBCUs lock themselves out of the Road to Frisco by their selfish motives. This, too, waters down the potential playoff field as well as limits the number of true potential championship contenders. xsmhx

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Add in the facts that the Ivies and the HBCUs lock themselves out of the Road to Frisco by their selfish motives. This, too, waters down the potential playoff field as well as limits the number of true potential championship contenders. xsmhx

"Waters down"......xlolx

Ivies and HBCUs would almost never make it to the quarters in the playoffs. Maybe a 1st round win here and there.

Winning never gets old. All it says is that the rest of the FCS needs to step up their game.

OhioHen
December 13th, 2016, 06:09 AM
I think it has to be a mixed bag IMHO. But for a general college sports fan like me who loves to watch all three NCAA divisions and NAIA, any dynasty is bad.

Even here at AGS, there was evident glee from some posters that the dynasties of D-III both missed the championship game this year.

bonarae
December 13th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Even here at AGS, there was evident glee from some posters that the dynasties of D-III both missed the championship game this year.
And I'm one of them, a fan of several long-time also-rans.... xcoffeex

Mattymc727
December 13th, 2016, 07:10 AM
The FCS used to be much more exciting when everyone had a chance to win. The first half of UNH's playoff streak was much more exciting because of that, now its "doesnt really matter because we would lose to NDSU anyway". Getting a ticket into Fargo to get blown out has taken some of the enjoyment out of the FCS. Not blaming NDSU, good for them to keep winning. However, my interest even as an FCS radical has waned.

I feel a similar thing has happened in the FBS with Alabama however. Seems tha playoffs are just a ticket to lose to Alabama. Not sure if interest is down as a whole there.

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 07:20 AM
I haven't read any other answers.

The real answer is that it doesn't matter from a national perspective. The national media isn't going to treat the FCS with any more or any less respect than if someone else won.
Regionally the interest isn't going to change.
Locally the media coverage a team gets isn't going to change.

It is good for the FCS from a forcing people to get better stand point. The rest of the subdivision can either get better or not. That's not NDSU's fault. NDSU getting good caused Farley to have a mental ****ing break when it came to picking an offense he thought would beat NDSU's defense. Well after 6 years maybe he's figured out that UNI has the size/strength/talent to line up with NDSU....maybe....probably not.

If our programs are sick of NDSU winning they need to get better.

This is pretty much the only real answer.

clawman
December 13th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Term limits??xlolx
Maybe after a school earns five consecutive titles they have to start playing with ten men on the field?xeyebrowx
Or how about weight belts? 20lb weight belt on each player?:D
We just can't have too much success!

Gil Dobie
December 13th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I haven't read any other answers.

The real answer is that it doesn't matter from a national perspective. The national media isn't going to treat the FCS with any more or any less respect than if someone else won.
Regionally the interest isn't going to change.
Locally the media coverage a team gets isn't going to change.

It is good for the FCS from a forcing people to get better stand point. The rest of the subdivision can either get better or not. That's not NDSU's fault.

Great point. I believe the MVFC has become a lot better over the last 5 years, partially due to the Bison streak. All the teams in the conference appear to have been building their teams to beat NDSU. UNI has done a great job of that, and SDSU this year. JMU coach even said they are instilling toughness to compete and beat NDSU. Other teams will follow, it's a matter of time.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 07:39 AM
I personally would argue it's not a good thing at this point, and honestly hasn't been since they tied App State's 3 consecutive title run in 2013. No one outside of Fargo, ND cares anymore. It's boring for fans of the other 124 FCS teams (at least the ones in the conferences that actually compete in the playoffs).

It may make them more of a "known entity" for the ESPN's of the world to sell to the FBS follower, but at the end of the day, they still don't care enough to suddenly start watching FCS football. If anything, it's supporting their preconceived notion that FCS is in fact Division 2 and is so weak that one team can dominate it so consistently with little true adversity. NDSU has had, what, maybe 3 moments in this title run where there was a real shot at them losing a playoff game? (2012 GSU, 2014 SDSU and ISU).

IBleedYellow
December 13th, 2016, 07:40 AM
I mean it doesn't really matter.

No one really cares about the FCS, but people pay attention to NDSU since it's sort of a historic run. Then they want to either see us continue or lose.

Also, I have a prediction that I can't quite state yet but I've told Thumper....so he can verify when it comes true.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I-AA Fan
December 13th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Is Alabama a good thing for FBS? Is Mount Union and DIII football become anything more than an annual joke? Your answer is obvious.

70MilesFromCanada
December 13th, 2016, 08:03 AM

No one really cares about the FCS, but people pay attention to NDSU since it's sort of a historic run. Then they want to either see us continue or lose.

Also, I have a prediction that I can't quite state yet but I've told Thumper....so he can verify when it comes true.

Doesn't matter. The Russians know and will leak it here. xnodx

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 08:03 AM
The FCS used to be much more exciting when everyone had a chance to win. The first half of UNH's playoff streak was much more exciting because of that, now its "doesnt really matter because we would lose to NDSU anyway". Getting a ticket into Fargo to get blown out has taken some of the enjoyment out of the FCS. Not blaming NDSU, good for them to keep winning. However, my interest even as an FCS radical has waned.

I feel a similar thing has happened in the FBS with Alabama however. Seems tha playoffs are just a ticket to lose to Alabama. Not sure if interest is down as a whole there.
Meh, there's no fear of NDSU from opposing players and fans, especially when it gets to the quarters or later. Hell, Bison fans have been arguing with JMU fans since Saturday when JMU fans have said "we're gonna end the streak" and Bison fans retort with "yeah yeah, we hear the same thing every year".

It's not like it's been easy for NDSU. Far from it in fact.

But as to the OP's question, I agree that it's a mixed bag. There's some good aspects and some bad aspects of having a dynasty. Hopefully in the end it's a good thing because it makes the rest of the subdivision improve in order to topple the giant. I think we've already seen that effect in the MVFC.

Cocky
December 13th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Im with Clenz.
Its good for FCS because you have the best team win under the playoff format. 24 teams are in the playoff which eliminates any team from having a real gripe about being left out.

Get better or go home.

smallcollegefbfan
December 13th, 2016, 08:06 AM

For me personally, of course, I would personally love to see my Eagles hoist the trophy. But if the football gods do not smile on EWU this year, I would personally prefer to see someone other than the Bison at the top (nothing against Bison fans...and yes, I think I already know what your answers will be.)

It can be good and bad. One good thing is that it turns up the heat on the rest of the country to get even better to be the one to unseat NDSU. I enjoy seeing a dynasty here and there because I enjoy seeing records broken and greatness but I also enjoy seeing when you don't know what will happen each year.

Someone is going to beat NDSU at some point. I hope other teams look at the model that NDSU has made and try to duplicate and even find ways to improve it so they can be the one to beat them.

TheRevSFA
December 13th, 2016, 08:06 AM
it doesn't matter. Don't want NDSU to win? Beat them.

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Bingo.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I personally would argue it's not a good thing at this point, and honestly hasn't been since they tied App State's 3 consecutive title run in 2013. No one outside of Fargo, ND cares anymore. It's boring for fans of the other 124 FCS teams (at least the ones in the conferences that actually compete in the playoffs).

It may make them more of a "known entity" for the ESPN's of the world to sell to the FBS follower, but at the end of the day, they still don't care enough to suddenly start watching FCS football. If anything, it's supporting their preconceived notion that FCS is in fact Division 2 and is so weak that one team can dominate it so consistently with little true adversity. NDSU has had, what, maybe 3 moments in this title run where there was a real shot at them losing a playoff game? (2012 GSU, 2014 SDSU and ISU).
That depends on what you'd consider a real shot to lose a game. To me that's having a 1 possession game in the 4th quarter. To my recollection that's happened 8 times in 22 games: 2011 JMU, 2011 SHSU, 2012 Wofford, 2012 GSU, 2014 SDSU, 2014 CCU, 2014 ISUr, and 2015 UNI.

I think it's a lazy argument to say NDSU has won the last 5 titles because they're that much better than the rest of the FCS. To me, with the exception of 2013, it's been because the Bison have been the most clutch, most disciplined, and best conditioned team over the last 5+ years, not necessarily the most talented. They've proven that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts. Add in some good luck and you've got a dynasty as it stands today.

dgtw
December 13th, 2016, 08:28 AM
I don't think the average sports fan cares about FCS football. NDSU's streak may cause the average fan to notice it a bit more but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 08:37 AM
I'm with the majority here. FCS football is the red headed step child of the NCAA. I live in the heart of OVC land and 90% of the people around here thinks they play DIV II in football because they only identify with the bowl games as "big time"?!?!

NDSU is a special group and obviously has their **** together. Winning another one (6) would not surprise me, but it's kind of boring seeing the same team every year. I think the NCAA really needs to take a hard look at the sub divisions of football and realign it. xtwocentsx

BISON Thunder
December 13th, 2016, 08:38 AM
I don't care what we old guys think :)...I want to know what current players from opposing programs think about this. Also, any former players from the past two, three, four years on this site? What are your thoughts on this topic?

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 08:41 AM
That depends on what you'd consider a real shot to lose a game. To me that's having a 1 possession game in the 4th quarter. To my recollection that's happened 8 times in 22 games: 2011 JMU, 2011 SHSU, 2012 Wofford, 2012 GSU, 2014 SDSU, 2014 CCU, 2014 ISUr, and 2015 UNI.

I think it's a lazy argument to say NDSU has won the last 5 titles because they're that much better than the rest of the FCS. To me, with the exception of 2013, it's been because the Bison have been the most clutch, most disciplined, and best conditioned team over the last 5+ years, not necessarily the most talented. They've proven that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts. Add in some good luck and you've got a dynasty as it stands today.

I'd define a shot at losing as trailing in the 4th quarter, specifically the final 7 minutes. I would also say it's a moment where a team could go ahead and is in the red zone. I remember the 2012 GSU game and had they been able to knock it in during those final minutes, you all wouldn't have repeated as 2 time champs. They were knocking on the door, but then that epic goal line stand happened.

My point is that if you really analyze each playoff game since 2011, you'll find few instances of the Bison having to truly sweat it out until there's 0:00 on the clock. That's a lack of adversity.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I'll also follow by agreeing that yes, if you want the Bison to lose, well then dammit someone needs to actually beat them. However, the question was is their continued title run good for FCS as a whole, and I honestly believe no. It makes it look more obscure due to the lack of parity.

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I'll also follow by agreeing that yes, if you want the Bison to lose, well then dammit someone needs to actually beat them. However, the question was is their continued title run good for FCS as a whole, and I honestly believe no. It makes it look more obscure due to the lack of parity.
NDSU winning makes it look more obscure than if, say, Presby won a title?

Yes, I know that's silly to read, but think about it.

Technically speaking Presby (or someone like them) winning would be the ultimate show of parity.

Think about it. Which is a worse look for the FCS, if you're completely honest with yourself: A program like NDSU winning or a program like Presby, Charleston Southern, Central Connecticut, etc...?

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 09:15 AM

Technically speaking Presby (or someone like them) winning would be the ultimate show of parity.

Think about it. Which is a worse look for the FCS, if you're completely honest with yourself: A program like NDSU winning or a program like Presby, Charleston Southern, Central Connecticut, etc...?

Or UNI? Sorry I had to do it xsmiley_wix Take back my Christmas gift I don't care xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I'd define a shot at losing as trailing in the 4th quarter, specifically the final 7 minutes. I would also say it's a moment where a team could go ahead and is in the red zone. I remember the 2012 GSU game and had they been able to knock it in during those final minutes, you all wouldn't have repeated as 2 time champs. They were knocking on the door, but then that epic goal line stand happened.

My point is that if you really analyze each playoff game since 2011, you'll find few instances of the Bison having to truly sweat it out until there's 0:00 on the clock. That's a lack of adversity.
You must be thinking of a different game. After GSU took the lead in the mid-3rd quarter both teams traded punts until NDSU finally scored late in the 4th to retake the lead for good.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=323492449

But we'll have to agree to disagree on the rest of it because it sounds to me like you're claiming NDSU has made it easy on themselves in the playoffs and I think it's been far from easy (except for 2013).

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 09:23 AM

Or UNI? Sorry I had to do it xsmiley_wix Take back my Christmas gift I don't care xthumbsupx
Meh. UNI at least has some history and has been there before.

UNI winning wouldn't be parity. It would be a team finally not choking.

Parity would be a different team every single year with as many/more titles going to the NEC/PFL as the MVFC/CAA. That kind of **** isn't good for the FCS.

SDSUAlum08
December 13th, 2016, 09:28 AM

FCS teams should stop scheduling these conferences if they're not going to be in the playoffs. Shut them out.

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=ysubigred;2435420]

Parity would be a different team every single year with as many/more titles going to the NEC/PFL as the MVFC/CAA. That kind of **** isn't good for the FCS.

Wow you took that better than I thought xthumbsupx And I agree with you on titles going to the NEC/PFL as the MVFC/CAA. That's why the NCAA need to realign this mess.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 10:00 AM
This seems fitting for this thread given its premise.

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/808684149863235584

https://twitter.com/NDSUbroadcast/status/808687768847155200

EDIT: For comparison JMU/SHSU drew 509k on Friday. But that was also a horrible blowout and on ESPN2 not ESPN.

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Generically speaking it would be better for fan's interest if titles were spread around. If NDSU wins another title that is because they have earned it and it is every other FCS team's fault for not beating them. Every FCS team that is playoff eligible started the year with the same record as NDSU and with the same opportunity of winning a national championship.

WileECoyote06
December 13th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I'm with the majority here. FCS football is the red headed step child of the NCAA. I live in the heart of OVC land and 90% of the people around here thinks they play DIV II in football because they only identify with the bowl games as "big time"?!?!

NDSU is a special group and obviously has their **** together. Winning another one (6) would not surprise me, but it's kind of boring seeing the same team every year. I think the NCAA really needs to take a hard look at the sub divisions of football and realign it. xtwocentsx

Interesting that you should say this. So by the MEAC-SWAC withdrawing their champions for a bowl game, did they make the right choice?

WileECoyote06
December 13th, 2016, 10:42 AM
FCS teams should stop scheduling these conferences if they're not going to be in the playoffs. Shut them out.

I don't have a problem with this; and have raised this point from our side as well. What's the point of playing FCS teams out of conference when we're clearly motivated by money and not so much by competition? We can make as much or more money by renewing rivalries with our old CIAA brethren.

Also, FCOA is going to become a major competitive issue. It maybe time to revisit reclassifying teams/conferences or subdividing.

To answer the original question, my competitive side says NDSU do what you do and keep it up. But the fan in me says it's not good for FCS overall.

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 10:42 AM

THE MVFC national championship game in January 2015 was a tight game until the finish. ISU had a lead late in the 4th before Wentz bombed a long pass and then NDSU scored with 37 seconds remaining to win 29 to 27. Great game but a painful loss for ISU. I will let the Bison fans speak for themselves but I am confident they were sweating that game out.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 13th, 2016, 10:47 AM
https://m.facebook.com/NDBison/photos/a.214525824531.164571.7791099531/10154828623549532/?type=3&source=48

deez_na
December 13th, 2016, 10:49 AM
THE MVFC national championship game in January 2015 was a tight game until the finish. ISU had a lead late in the 4th before Wentz bombed a long pass and then NDSU scored with 37 seconds remaining to win 29 to 27. Great game but a painful loss for ISU. I will let the Bison fans speak for themselves but I am confident they were sweating that game out.

Yeah I will admit, I thought that game might have been over when ISU scored with like 1:38 left. I was very nervous and in shock.

Bison56
December 13th, 2016, 10:54 AM

I wasn't sweating, but I couldn't sit down. xthumbsupx

Does it really matter who wins the championship other than to the fans of the team?

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I wasn't sweating, but I couldn't sit down. xthumbsupx

Does it really matter who wins the championship other than to the fans of the team?
i say this...look how rabid the bison following/fans is/are and a part of that is due to the 5 national championships. If NDSU had gone to the national championship game all 5 times but only won 2 I think their following is nearly the same. However if 3 other teams had won a national championship vs the Bison then their fan base and conference fan base would be more energized and I think that helps FCS Interest overall. All other teams are gradually becoming tired of being b*tch slapped by NDSU but that is not NDSU's fault. The thread should have been titled...How many times are we going to let NDSU B*tch slap us before we rise up and beat them or give up and quit?

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Not going to happen. I'm 1000% accurate with this.

Doesn't matter. The Russians know and will leak it here. xnodx
Well he didn't email it to me......

As to the thread as a whole, I agree with everyone who says step up and beat them. I cannot put into words how disgustedly sick of NDSU I am or how incredibly tired of losing in Fargo in the playoffs. That being said, I hope they win this year. Because none of these other teams left have been put through the emotional damage as a fan that those bastards have put SDSU through over the last six years ending three of our seasons, so I want us to end their run. And then every other playoff run they try to attempt. Forever and ever. Amen.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2016, 11:19 AM

As to the thread as a whole, I agree with everyone who says step up and beat them. I cannot put into words how disgustedly sick of NDSU I am or how incredibly tired of losing in Fargo in the playoffs. That being said, I hope they win this year. Because none of these other teams left have been put through the emotional damage as a fan that those bastards have put SDSU through over the last six years ending three of our seasons, so I want us to end their run. And then every other playoff run they try to attempt. Forever and ever. Amen.

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dr-phil-false-imprisonment__oPt.jpg

Can you feel the love xlolx

REALBird
December 13th, 2016, 11:20 AM

Agreed. Alabama is the closest thing to a dynasty at the FBS level and you don't see people asking the same question there. If you want to be the best, have to beat the best.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I'd say it makes us look pathetic. Or I should say, its exposes us as being pathetic. I don't have much respect for most of DIII, I don't know why the common man would think otherwise about the FCS field.

flyrod
December 13th, 2016, 11:28 AM
If you want to be the best, have to beat the best.

Agreed
and that is why JMU is coming for them with a DATE on Friday Night......
Have no doubts that JMU is serious about this.
Its time to end this Dynasty's Rule....and begin a new chapter in FCS.
There's no hatred, no bs...just some smash mouth , hard hitting football gonna happen on friday and let the best team win...(JMU of course)

Everyone who has any ties to FCS will be watching/following this game.

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Agreed
There's no hatred, no bs...just some smash mouth , hard hitting football gonna happen on friday and let the best team win...(JMU of course)

Cause all the other teams were serious about it

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Agreed

That's what they all say

flyrod
December 13th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Buckle up! Fridays Comin!

SingForever
December 13th, 2016, 12:08 PM

The 5 championships are really irritating in the case of NDSU. What bothers me immensely is the obvious fact that NDSU has had 3 home playoff games in the Fargo Dome every year and that is why it was even a possibility that they could win 5 championships in a row. The atmosphere there and the unfamiliarity with that atmosphere has a very negative impact on opposing teams. It's a shame that all playoff games could not be on neutral sites. That IMO would eliminate the possibility of a long string of championships. by any one team.

IBleedYellow
December 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM
The 5 championships are really irritating in the case of NDSU. What bothers me immensely is the obvious fact that NDSU has had 3 home playoff games in the Fargo Dome every year and that is why it was even a possibility that they could win 5 championships in a row. The atmosphere there and the unfamiliarity with that atmosphere has a very negative impact on opposing teams. It's a shame that all playoff games could not be on neutral sites. That IMO would eliminate the possibility of a long string of championships. by any one team.

I see we've reached the "complain about their homefield advantage" part of the week.

Want to know how NDSU gets home field advantage in the playoffs? By winning on the road consistently during the regular season.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Is that why they've won 5 in a row in Frisco too?

NDSU has played at home because they've earned it by being better than their opponents during the regular season. I fail to see the shame in that model.

I see we've reached the "complain about their homefield advantage" part of the week.

Want to know how NDSU gets homefield advantage? By winning on the road consistently.
Yup. Since 2011 NDSU road/home/neutral splits:

Home: 49-4 (0.924 win %)
Road: 29-2 (0.935)
Neutral: 5-0 (1.000)
Overall: 83-6 (0.932)

So they've actually had a better winning % on the road than at home and that includes going 17-0 at home during the playoffs in that span.

deez_na
December 13th, 2016, 12:15 PM
My 2 cents don't matter much because I'm a bit bias but I sure in the **** enjoy the crap out of this.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2016, 12:16 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/12qku2WE6vgFji/giphy.gif

deez_na
December 13th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Why is it people cry about home field advantage and suggest they play on a neutral site? You earn that right. I doubt many FCS teams will travel well to some neutral location for the playoff games and see $$$ flush down the toilet due to it.

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Is another NDSU title good for FCS? Depends on what you mean by that.

I think it's hard to say whether or not it's good for the overall competition of the subdivision. Players of similar talent level are going to continue to come in the conference, no matter who wins the title. We forget that the vast majority of players and teams don't make the playoffs and likely something like 1/2 to 2/3 of the subdivision in a four year span probably won't make the playoffs.

Players make the decision to come play college ball for various reasons, probability of winning a championship is just one of them.

Saying that NDSU's title run has made teams player better or coach better kind of erases how close NDSU has been to losing at times during this run. It also condones the idea that NDSU has gotten progressively better (2015>2014>2013>etc) when really they only need to be about the same level to win it.

People have to understand that the talent and performance of your football team is necessarily contextual. Luck often plays a role in whether or not you win. By luck I don't mean teams don't deserve to win, so much as many plays are low probability and you can't really anticipate them. When such low probability plays happen in a compounded way...that's good luck. To quote a JMU coach, your skill creates your luck. To that extent, NDSU has been one of the most skilled and lucky programs in the FCS.

As for other definitions of "bad" such as "does it hurt the FCS's perception." The FCS is, was, and always will be a niche, and its following can only be seen in absolute, not relative terms (TV ratings). Having a constant champion probably creates interest for those who don't care about FCS because it gives them a point of reference to root against or for. Like I don't know anything about D2 and D3 teams except there are a couple teams that dominate and if I so happen to turn on a game, I'm gonna pull for a team accordingly.

As for those important definition of "bad"...is it bad for FCS fans? Does it make things less fun. I will say, unequivocally it does. To be clear, you can say that and still believe someone has to beat NDSU. You can say that it's fair and square and that nothing can be done (or should be) while at the same time saying it no longer makes FCS fun. In my case, I used to love watching and follow FCS football, when Wofford was a lot better and consistent. In years where Wofford wasn't good I could still be entertained by the uncertainty of outcomes of other good teams.

But in recent years where Wofford wasn't good and NDSU kept winning anyway (pretty much the last 2 years) I've had no interest in FCS football. It's fun to watch a run such as this when the outcome is in doubt or when they're trying to beat a record, but at a certain point it gets repetitive and boring.

At what point, if you're NDSU do you no longer get satisfied with national championships? I think they're in a unique position as a program. Different from GSU and App State and other multiple championship teams just by virtue of their consistency.

BisonFanAnn
December 13th, 2016, 12:21 PM

I don't see that happening (all neutral sites), especially with a 24-team field. The interest in FCS just isn't there, and even the most dedicated fans aren't going to travel to multiple away games en masse. Look at opposing fan numbers at this year's playoff games to get an idea. The NCAA is never going to put themselves in a position of generating less revenue during the playoffs.

Just because the Bison have won all their PO games on the road does not mean they could not have won them on the road. Frisco is a neutral site, and the Bison do pretty well there.

BEAR
December 13th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Interesting topic.

Two perspectives:

FBS and NFL fans probably couldn't care less if NDSU won it 1 million times.

FCS fans find it interesting for a while but since they are just fans of their team with no power to change anything championship-wise it eventually makes it boring for them.

Props to the Bison for a great run tho. If another FCS team wants it, they've got to take it.

Bison56
December 13th, 2016, 12:22 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/12qku2WE6vgFji/giphy.gif

Looks like he needs these 24157

Scooter
December 13th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Even if NDSU loses the real issue remains. There are a few really good teams in the FCS and they are still playing. What are the next 7-8 teams going to do to take the next step?
Steel sharpens steel. Stop playing ****ty schedules which don't prepare you for playing the really good teams in the FCS. All it does is artificially raises the percieved strength of a program in the eyes of polsters who arent really paying attention and grab a stat sheet to cast their vote at the 11th hour. There is NO excuse for losing by 30 points in the playoffs if you want to be considered an elite team. This is what is killing the image of FCS football not NDSU dominance.
The reality is NDSU isn't going away and the 2017 team will probably be better than this year. Will NDSU win out? Maybe... But, whoever wins this season will have truly earned it. Really good teams left with no pretenders.
Time for the next eight to step up.
(SDSU, UNI, SHSU, Villanova, Richmond, Chattanooga, Montana, JSU)
(uni? Yep, they are the 5-6 team no one wants to play)

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Time for the next eight to step up.
(SDSU, UNI, SHSU, Villanova, Richmond, Chattanooga, Montana, JSU)

wat. We get worse every year. If FCS is depending on us to make things exciting again you are all f#cked

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Interesting topic.

Two perspectives:

FCS fans find it interesting for a while but since they are just fans of their team with no power to change anything championship-wise it eventually makes it boring for them.

Props to the Bison for a great run tho. If another FCS team wants it, they've got to take it.

This is the crux of it all

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 01:01 PM
"Waters down"......xlolx

Ivies and HBCUs would almost never make it to the quarters in the playoffs. Maybe a 1st round win here and there.

Winning never gets old. All it says is that the rest of the FCS needs to step up their game.

This!

If you dont like them winning, then get better.

Its awesome that an FCS team can beat every FBS team they play..........it enhances FCS credibility. Granted its just the top 5 teams that can compete with the middle of the pack FBS teams but its still a good thing to keep the bar high.

Lowering the bar is the participation trophy generations way of dealing with failure and does nothing to strengthen the "herd"

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 01:08 PM
People need to stop comparing NDSU to Alabama. NDSU actually goes on the road for big games, they play in a true playoff system where they cant be painted in to win it each year by a computer and sportswriters.

NDSU is a dynasty

Alabama is a hand puppet.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Cause all the other teams were serious about it

Of the 22 game streak that NDSU is on, I can honestly only say 2, maybe 3 looked serious about competing with NDSU. The rest very much rolled over.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Of the 22 game streak that NDSU is on, I can honestly only say 2, maybe 3 looked serious about competing with NDSU. The rest very much rolled over.

Just like Iowa......

Trumpster
December 13th, 2016, 01:44 PM

This tells me that you didn't watch, in 2014 alone CCU, SDSU, and ISUr looked serious about competing with NDSU. NDSU needed 4th quarter drives in all 3 of those games, 2 of them in the final minute.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2016, 01:49 PM
This tells me that you didn't watch, in 2014 alone CCU, SDSU, and ISUr looked serious about competing with NDSU. NDSU needed 4th quarter drives in all 3 of those games, 2 of them in the final minute.

One could argue that was the weakest of the Championship teams.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2016, 01:53 PM
People need to stop comparing NDSU to Alabama. NDSU actually goes on the road for big games, they play in a true playoff system where they cant be painted in to win it each year by a computer and sportswriters.

NDSU is a dynasty

Alabama is a hand puppet.

Really? Playing every single playoff game at home isn't painting them into winning it?

And Alabama plays just as many regular season big games as NDSU. I don't think the similarities are as far off as you want to think.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 01:53 PM

Excuse me. I stand corrected. 4 teams, not 3. How could I be so inaccurate. I also include the 2012 GSU team. No teams in 2011, 2013 or 2015 really challenged NDSU if I recall correctly.

I'm sure i'll be corrected again.

What isn't playing in NDSU's favor is that this is an even year. You're definitely due.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Excuse me. I stand corrected. 4 teams, not 3. How could I be so inaccurate. I also include the 2012 GSU team. No teams in 2011, 2013 or 2015 really challenged NDSU if I recall correctly.

You will be....this Friday...............

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2016, 01:57 PM

What isn't playing in NDSU's favor is that this is an even year. You're definitely due.

It really depends on what you consider challenged. I think most NDSU fans would say we challenged them last year in the playoffs. And without the 2nd half kickoff return TD it might have been a much different game.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 02:01 PM
It really depends on what you consider challenged. I think most NDSU fans would say we challenged them last year in the playoffs. And without the 2nd half kickoff return TD it might have been a much different game.
Without NDSU's punter playing the game of his life it could've been a much different game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Really? Playing every single playoff game at home isn't painting them into winning it?

And Alabama plays just as many regular season big games as NDSU. I don't think the similarities are as far off as you want to think.

NDSU takes care of business during the season to earn the right to have home games. NDSU would have been on the road last year for the semis but Ill State didn't due their part.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Without NDSU's punter playing the game of his life it could've been a much different game.

Agree.

He was way more of a factor than that kickoff TD.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2016, 02:07 PM

Yes quite true.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 02:16 PM

NDSU leading 21-10 until about 4.5 minutes remaining isn't my definition of a challenge, but to each their own. After halftime, NDSU controlled that game for the entire second half.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 02:19 PM

NDSU plays in a 24 team playoff.

GAME OVER

The FBS is an inferior product, they have not had a legitimate National Champion in the history of the NCAA.

Alabama with 3 loses will always be in that top 4, until they up their game Alabama is no NDSU and it is insulting to talk about them in the same conversation.

Floridabison
December 13th, 2016, 02:19 PM
I live in Florida. Surrounded by SEC fans. When I wear my Bison gear, someone always engages me to talk Football.
How does that hurt the FCS>

I understand the arguments or frustrations, but... The MVFC could beat most FCS teams. The level of play is improving and that helps all teams.

Some may say its a foregone conclusion NDSU wins. OK. Understand this. It is incredibly difficult to win that much, and in any sport at any level. Recognition of that is appropriate and deserved.

When teams outside the MVFC play in Fargo, they leave understanding what needs to be done to improve their own program.

How is that bad?

I get that other teams hate the Bison. Hell, I hate the NE Patriots, but you must respect their program.

In the end none of this matters. Any given saturday. Right...

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2016, 02:24 PM
NDSU leading 21-10 until about 4.5 minutes remaining isn't my definition of a challenge, but to each their own. After halftime, NDSU controlled that game for the entire second half.

UNI was by far the toughest test last year. If you don't think that game was a "challenge", then you have no clue about football.

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 02:29 PM
UNI was by far the toughest test last year. If you don't think that game was a "challenge", then you have no clue about football.

Until the mysterious pass interference call with 1:24 left in the game, YSU had you all against the ropes. Just sayin xdrunkyx

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 02:30 PM

Part of a challenge is the chance to lose. The outcome was never in doubt throughout that second half. Agree to disagree but as a casual viewer of that game live, there was never any doubt or anything to "sweat out".

UNIFanSince1983
Is it good for Women's basketball that no one can beat UConn? Was it good for DIII football when Mt. Union played UW-Whitewater 7 years in a row? It honestly adds a small time feel when one team dominates and wins every single year. NDSU fans I would be like you if our positions were reversed, but it is really hard to argue this is good for FCS football. Is it good for your program? Of course, but it doesn't provide legitimacy to our level of football. In fact it just perpetuates the fact that people already think we are DII.

Mayville Bison
I can definitely see both sides. If I was a fan of another team, I'd want to see anyone except NDSU win just cuz that means my team has hope. When the same team continues to win, it sucks the hope out of you before you even start playing a down.

On the other hand, I think NDSU has brought name recognition to the FCS that hasn't been seen before - especially with hosting GameDay twice. As long as they are the __x defending champs, the mystery of "is this the week they fall" will always draw some attention. That in and of itself is a catch-22, though, as the only way to draw those casual viewers is to put them on ESPN/2/U/etc. which also helps the rich get richer.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Did somebody seriously throw college womens basketball into this?

Jesus

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Part of a challenge is the chance to lose. The outcome was never in doubt throughout that second half. Agree to disagree but as a casual viewer of that game live, there was never any doubt or anything to "sweat out".

That was a one score game well into the 4th quarter until the Bison got a safety to make it a 10 point lead.

Quit while you'really behind.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Well if we're defining being challenged as a game being within a score at any point, then I guess you really did gut out all 22 of your playoff wins during this streak. Does that sound better?

Bisonwinagn
December 13th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Are the yankees good for baseball? Are the Cowboys good for football? The answer is obviously yes. Without the Yankees MLB wouldn't even exist. Great teams are always good for any sport because it sets the bar for everyone else to get to. Also this significantly raises interest to see if anyone can beat the top team. Parity or in other words mediocrity is horrible and unbearable to most fans.

CockyGeek
December 13th, 2016, 02:40 PM
It does nothing for the sport either way. We're still relegated to national TV games 4 weeks out of the year unless somebody gets lucky enough to play on SECN. The vast majority of football fans can't name 10 FCS teams. I still get asked "Alabama or Auburn" every damn day I wear my JSU stuff because people don't even realize JSU has a football team.

I'm all for the best team winning. Keep the dynasty going until someone can match up with them in the postseason.

Mayville Bison
December 13th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Did somebody seriously throw college womens basketball into this?

Jesus

I was gonna ask if everyone really wanted the parity of College Hockey with the following teams in the championship games
2016 - North Dakota & Quinnipiac
2015 - Providence & Boston University
2014 - Union & Minnesota
2013 - Yale & Quinnipiac
2012 - Boston College & Ferris State
2011 - Minnesota-Duluth & Michigan

But then I remembered, no one watches college hockey, so it would be a terrible example.....or would it?

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I was gonna ask if everyone really wanted the parity of College Hockey with the following teams in the championship games
2014 - Union & Minnesota
2013 - Yale & Quinnipiac

But then I remembered, no one watches college hockey, so it would be a terrible example.....or would it?

I watch xdrunkyx

Schism55
December 13th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Is it good for Women's basketball that no one can beat UConn? Was it good for DIII football when Mt. Union played UW-Whitewater 7 years in a row? It honestly adds a small time feel when one team dominates and wins every single year. NDSU fans I would be like you if our positions were reversed, but it is really hard to argue this is good for FCS football. Is it good for your program? Of course, but it doesn't provide legitimacy to our level of football. In fact it just perpetuates the fact that people already think we are DII.
UCLA men's basketball winning 7 titles in a row and 10 of 12 ****s all over your point.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Everyone is using examples from leagues much higher (the highest level at least from a perception standpoint). FBS, NFL, MLB, D1 MBB.

The example of UConn for D1 WBB is an excellent example. Many pundits did debate and most agreed that UConn winning is great for UConn but bad for WBB overall as it made it look even more small time than it is already perceived. FCS is in that same category.

People want dynasties, but typically more so at the "highest levels". Even though, there's a reason why everyone hates the yankees and hates Alabama.

WileECoyote06
December 13th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Are the yankees good for baseball? Are the Cowboys good for football? The answer is obviously yes. Without the Yankees MLB wouldn't even exist. Great teams are always good for any sport because it sets the bar for everyone else to get to. Also this significantly raises interest to see if anyone can beat the top team. Parity or in other words mediocrity is horrible and unbearable to most fans.

No. . . . the answer to anything involving the Cowboys is NO they're terrible for football. xnottalkingx

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Everyone is using examples from leagues much higher (the highest level at least from a perception standpoint). FBS, NFL, MLB, D1 MBB.

The example of UConn for D1 WBB is an excellent example. Many pundits did debate and most agreed that UConn winning is great for UConn but bad for WBB overall as it made it look even more small time than it is already perceived. FCS is in that same category.

People want dynasties, but typically more so at the "highest levels". Even though, there's a reason why everyone hates the yankees.

IT IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE WOMENS BASKETBALL LOOK WORSE.........its just scientifically not possible

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Until the mysterious pass interference call with 1:24 left in the game, YSU had you all against the ropes. Just sayin xdrunkyx
Do you mean this one?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduG8FTP9Hj5ggcE/giphy.gif

Just because it caused Bo and Carl to blow their gaskets doesn't mean it wasn't the right call.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 02:57 PM
I hate the excessive abundance of PI calls as much as anyone, but anytime an official puts his eyes on jersey or pad separation, he's going to call it 19 times out of 20.

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2016, 02:57 PM
I live in Florida. Surrounded by SEC fans. When I wear my Bison gear, someone always engages me to talk Football.
How does that hurt the FCS>

I understand the arguments or frustrations, but... The MVFC could beat most FCS teams. The level of play is improving and that helps all teams.

Some may say its a foregone conclusion NDSU wins. OK. Understand this. It is incredibly difficult to win that much, and in any sport at any level. Recognition of that is appropriate and deserved.

When teams outside the MVFC play in Fargo, they leave understanding what needs to be done to improve their own program.

How is that bad?

I get that other teams hate the Bison. Hell, I hate the NE Patriots, but you must respect their program.

In the end none of this matters. Any given saturday. Right...

Tell me how people knowing NDSU helps other teams not named NDSU

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I can definitely see both sides. If I was a fan of another team, I'd want to see anyone except NDSU win just cuz that means my team has hope. When the same team continues to win, it sucks the hope out of you before you even start playing a down.

On the other hand, I think NDSU has brought name recognition to the FCS that hasn't been seen before - especially with hosting GameDay twice. As long as they are the __x defending champs, the mystery of "is this the week they fall" will always draw some attention. That in and of itself is a catch-22, though, as the only way to draw those casual viewers is to put them on ESPN/2/U/etc. which also helps the rich get richer.
On the flip side I generally don't have to get annoyed thinking about EWU or MSU winning it all. Thanks NDSU!

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Are the yankees good for baseball? Are the Cowboys good for football? The answer is obviously yes. Without the Yankees MLB wouldn't even exist. Great teams are always good for any sport because it sets the bar for everyone else to get to. Also this significantly raises interest to see if anyone can beat the top team. Parity [...] is horrible and unbearable to most fans.

Haha, what? Think about what you just said.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 03:02 PM
On the flip side I generally don't have to get annoyed thinking about EWU or MSU winning it all. Thanks NDSU!

There you go! The silver lining! It means the dreaded Spiders, Tribe, Blue Hens or Wildcats also aren't winning it.

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Do you mean this one?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduG8FTP9Hj5ggcE/giphy.gif

Just because it caused Bo and Carl to blow their gaskets doesn't mean it wasn't the right call.

Should have been a no call. YSU player could have stood there and the ball would have sailed over both their heads.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Tell me how people knowing NDSU helps other teams not named NDSU

How many other times has Chris Fowler tweeted a shout out to SDSU?

https://twitter.com/cbfowler/status/787613375899561984

flyrod
December 13th, 2016, 03:06 PM
2014 - Union & Minnesota
2013 - Yale & Quinnipiac

I watch when I can also!

GO Michigan Tech Huskies !

Southern Bison
December 13th, 2016, 03:09 PM
But they still got it done to continue the legacy.

Anyone on here that remembers the run UCLA had in basketball? Did you become tired of them? How about GaSo's run with 5 of 6 years appearing in the NC in the late 80s/early 90s? How about YSU/Marshall of the 90s?

Most of the AGS posters that actually are FCS fans and just not their team homers get it. Until someone steps up and dethrones the Bison, the whining by the "participation trophy" crowd will continue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

deez_na
December 13th, 2016, 03:10 PM

I remember that, most blatant PI I've seen in awhile.

- - - Updated - - -

Should have been a no call. YSU player could have stood there and the ball would have sailed over both their heads.

No it wouldn't have. He wasn't very short of the ball the way it was and he was being pulled down which made his leap that much shorter.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Well, considering the YSU guy batted it away I doubt the NDSU receiver couldn't have gotten his hands on it as well had he not been tugged down by the jersey. That's textbook PI though and I don't see how it ever won't be.

The YSU guy could've easily defended the pass without the jersey grab but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been called.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2016, 03:14 PM
UCLA men's basketball winning 7 titles in a row and 10 of 12 ****s all over your point.

Was that good for college basketball? Was that better than having a team like Villanova who no one really expected to win it all win it all last year?

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 03:17 PM
But they still got it done to continue the legacy.

Anyone on here that remembers the run UCLA had in basketball? Did you become tired of them?
That's actually a great point. If Duke ran off 6 straight championships, blowing everyone out 80% of the time, I personally would find it tiring and unexciting. Where would the drama be?

Of course Duke fans would all think it nothing but positive for the sport ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I say this as someone who's 3 college teams are all terrible in both sports

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2016, 03:18 PM
How many other times has Chris Fowler tweeted a shout out to SDSU?

https://twitter.com/cbfowler/status/787613375899561984

So.....your saying one tweet then?

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2016, 03:19 PM

People want dynasties, but typically more so at the "highest levels". Even though, there's a reason why everyone hates the yankees and hates Alabama.

This is my point exactly. I don't expect Bizon fans to get it though. Not sure I would say no us winning is bad for FCS if UNI were in their position either, but it is absolutely not good for the sport. Show me a time when the FCS as a whole was featured because of NDSU's run, but that feature didn't include NDSU? As it turns out it is great for their school, but it isn't helping the rest of us out at all.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I dont hate Alabama they are irrelevant in an inferior product that doesnt have a true playoff system.

gsf23nd
December 13th, 2016, 03:22 PM
SHSU getting blown out by 60 pts the last two years in the quarterfinals has done more to hurt the image of FCS than NDSU winning 6 or 7 straight could ever do.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 03:26 PM
SHSU getting blown out by 60 pts the last two years in the quarterfinals has done more to hurt the image of FCS than NDSU winning 6 or 7 straight could ever do.
23,000 people in this country are aware that's a thing that happened

Actually its probably more like 7,000

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 03:27 PM
So.....your saying one tweet then?

I'm saying NDSU's success translates into greater exposure for the teams that beat them and that'll be even moreso for whatever team eventually ends their playoff run. It's happened plenty even in the regular season, the above tweet is just one example. I recall seeing others from college football pundits I follow but I really don't have the motivation to go find more.

SUPharmacist
December 13th, 2016, 03:29 PM
This is my point exactly. I don't expect Bizon fans to get it though. Not sure I would say no us winning is bad for FCS if UNI were in their position either, but it is absolutely not good for the sport. Show me a time when the FCS as a whole was featured because of NDSU's run, but that feature didn't include NDSU? As it turns out it is great for their school, but it isn't helping the rest of us out at all.

I don't really think it I good or bad for FCS as a whole. Don't really care either. But, if FCS as a whole were to be featured because of the NDSU run, why wouldn't they include NDSU? On one of the gamedays in Fargo they had a segment showing many NFL greats from FCS, isn't that good exposure for everyone, or does it need to be separate from the Fargo gameday.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 03:30 PM
I'm saying NDSU's success translates into greater exposure for the teams that beat them and that'll be even moreso for whatever team eventually ends their playoff run. It's happened plenty even in the regular season, the above tweet is just one example. I recall seeing others from college football pundits I follow but I really don't have the motivation to go find more.

I wonder if that is actually true in any impacting and lasting way. I'm sure no-one remembers or cares about our win.

RootinFerDukes
December 13th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I don't really think it I good or bad for FCS as a whole. Don't really care either. But, if FCS as a whole were to be featured because of the NDSU run, why wouldn't they include NDSU? On one of the gamedays in Fargo they had a segment showing many NFL greats from FCS, isn't that good exposure for everyone, or does it need to be separate from the Fargo gameday.

Their willingness to come to JMU for game day was a bit step forward by picking a school not named NDSU. I look forward to them going to a more diverse array of schools moving forward. Many of our fans admitted NDSU's run helped set this up by making it "okay" to go to an FCS school.

SingForever
December 13th, 2016, 03:33 PM
The home games helped them to get to Frisco in the first place. It's just an unfair advantage for NDSU against teams that never played in a Dome before. I don't think any rational pers ton can deny that. Then again. you are from North Dakota. I believe JMU will take them out. FINALLY a team will be able to win despitet he obnoxious crowd in the Dome.

Mayville Bison
December 13th, 2016, 03:34 PM

Is that even possible? That would be like McDonalds sponsoring an ad saying pizza is the best food simply because they can't talk about their own food.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2016, 03:36 PM
FBS has Alabama and FCS has AlaBison... nobody wants either

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Was that good for college basketball? Was that better than having a team like Villanova who no one really expected to win it all win it all last year?
You could argue it the other way as well. What draws the casual sports fan to the early rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament is David upsetting Goliath. No FCS team in the history of the subdivision has cultivated the Goliath image as much as NDSU has right now. Those of us who follow the subdivision know that if JMU would beat NDSU on Friday it's not that big of an upset. However, the casual fan who simply knows that NDSU has won like the last 18 championships would look at it as a gargantuan upset. That gives much more exposure to JMU than if they had beaten EWU in the semis.

I guess my whole point is NDSU's run for as long as it goes is good for NDSU and not so good for the FCS. When it finally ends I think you'll see that the team that ends it gets to reap the benefits of it through the increased exposure it'll bring them.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Bison fans, is this season more exciting for you than 2010 or 2011? Be honest with yourself.

I mean, I wouldn't know, or ever will. But I assume the thrill is... different.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 03:41 PM
I wonder if that is actually true in any impacting and lasting way. I'm sure no-one remembers or cares about our win.
The all knowing (and currently unemployed) Jeff Fisher did: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000658252/article/how-jeff-fisher-la-rams-decided-on-jared-goff-with-no-1-pick

"Coach Fisher?" he said. "I live in North Dakota, and I'm a huge North Dakota State fan. I've been to all five of their national championship games, and I love Carson Wentz. I just want to let you know that I hope you're gonna draft him, and if you do, I'll be a Ram fan for life."

Fisher nodded and gave a stoic grin. Then, in an ode to the FCS school where his son, Brandon, was a standout linebacker from 2005 to '09, the coach said to the young man, "Let me ask you a question. How come you guys could never beat Montana?"

Having sufficiently busted his guest's chops, Fisher proceeded to end the conversation on a friendly note. After the North Dakotan went back to his table, Fisher said softly, "He's going to be disappointed tomorrow."

Pass it off as another stupid thing said by a guy who liked to say stupid things but to me it shows that your average Joe Sportsfan, if they pay attention to anything FCS related, pays more attention to the games that NDSU lost than the ones they won.

Bison fans, is this season more exciting for you than 2010 or 2011? Be honest with yourself.

I don't think anything will ever top 2011 for me. As a fan, that first one in the D1 era will always be something special that the other ones can't touch.

The home games helped them to get to Frisco in the first place. It's just an unfair advantage for NDSU against teams that never played in a Dome before. I don't think any rational pers ton can deny that. Then again. you are from North Dakota. I believe JMU will take them out. FINALLY a team will be able to win despitet he obnoxious crowd in the Dome.
Having better players is an unfair advantage too. I think the NCAA should listen to the pleas of the underprivileged and make NDSU sit their 5 best players for playoff games.

Mayville Bison
December 13th, 2016, 03:52 PM

My emotions throughout the last six years and when NDSU loses - whether that be Friday, 4 weeks from now, or another year altogether.

2010 - excitement was there because we were new to this playoff thing
2011 - excitement was there because we were new to the expectations of going in as a favorite
2012 - excitement was there because could we possibly win back to back
2013 - just a fun year, but might have been the most boring year at the same time
2014 - excitement was there because of the great class graduating
2015 - Wentz went down - questions started surfacing about can we continue this with a freshman quarterback? (similar to 2010)
2016 - We are expected to win, but there are enough questions where the excitement is still there. Different kind of excitement than the previous 5 years. Similar to the '90-'91 years.
Year we finally* lose in the playoffs - major disappointment. It's been a while since we've had to deal with it, so the sky will be falling.
Year after we lose in the playoffs - Excitement about getting the trophy back in Fargo.

*not the word I would use, but 99.9% of the rest of the FCS would use.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 03:57 PM
The all knowing (and currently unemployed) Jeff Fisher did
Well, I'd say that actually speaks more to his ties to Montana, which are numerous

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2016, 03:58 PM

oh FFS

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 03:59 PM
23,000 people in this country are aware that's a thing that happened

Actually its probably more like 7,000
Meh. It goes back t something I said right after the first playoff rankings were released and got a ton of push back on

It is embarassing for the committee, STATS poll, coaches poll, or even the AGS poll (to those of you who kept voting SHSU in the top 5-10) to have a team play just garbage like SHSU did, run scores up on that garbage and get to brag all over social media, websites, "official publications" since for some reason STATS gets to the "the poll", etc... that they are #1 and then they get beat the **** down in the playoffs.

It's embarrassing watching MEAC games on Saturday nights and hearing the announcers talk about how NCAT/Bethune-Cookman is a top 15 FCS match up.

It's not representative of the FCS. The celebration bowl last year spent all game talking about how it was the two top ranked defenses and offenses in the FCS. People who don't know better will watch that game, hear the announcers say **** like that and go "Holy ****, that's bad football. That's the top of the FCS?"

It's not a good look.

Hammerhead
December 13th, 2016, 03:59 PM
No. We travelled to Montana State and EWU in 2010 and attended the championship games in 2011, 2014, and 2015. Not sure if we'll make the trip to Frisco again if NDSU beats JMU, but that's mostly due to work schedules.

Noryan34
December 13th, 2016, 04:01 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/10/18/9563525/james-madision-richmond-college-gameday-2015

The fans there were awesome and I wish they did this more often but if you think they go to FCS school on the regular without the recognition that the title streak has brought then you are mistaken.

They have been to 3 real FCS venues that were just games and not big events. Twice to NDSU and following year at JMU. Coincidence it started after the 2nd consecutive title? Doubt it. So absolutely the title streak has helped other FCS schools.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Well FCS has a long proud history of teams embarrassing themselves in terrible playoff games, but that may be another thread entirely...

Bison56
December 13th, 2016, 04:07 PM

How is something earned unfair?

lionsrking2
December 13th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Perhaps it's been said already (haven't read every post) but the only thing I see bad is regionalized playoffs. Seed every team 1-24 then let 'er rip. Bison have a great program and have been a huge asset to the subdivision.

lionsrking2
December 13th, 2016, 04:25 PM
How is something earned unfair?

It's not unfair, however NDSU does have a decided advantage at home, which I think was the point he was trying to make.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Ok, saying its unfair they earned homefield advantage is ridiculous. Let's not even acknowledge someone tried to argue that.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 04:42 PM
FBS has Alabama and FCS has AlaBison... nobody wants either

Bull****, lots of teams want Alabam but they cant get them unless its in Alabama or best case scenario a neutral field near Alabama. Alabama will never go to Washington, USC, Michigan, Penn St, Ohio St etc

BisonTru
December 13th, 2016, 04:52 PM

We'd really have an advantage if we didn't have a dome. We also played the toughest schedule in the nation. So I don't how we are getting an unfair advantage.

'11 will always be tops for me. You can't really beat the first.

dgtw
December 13th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Alabama played Penn State in Crappy Valley a few years ago and gave the pedophile protector his final loss.

They get the neutral site games in places like Dallas (not really close to Alabama) by virtue of being a top team the networks want to showcase.

IBleedYellow
December 13th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Montana's homefield is more unfair!

IT'S COLD AND LOUD!!!

THINK OF THE PLAYERS!!!!!

bonarae
December 13th, 2016, 05:00 PM
I slept and wow, 10+ pages were added.

But why do the Ivies still play football in the first place? Are you forcing us to go NESCAC-style? (no OOC, no playoffs) xnonono2x

Interesting that you should say this. So by the MEAC-SWAC withdrawing their champions for a bowl game, did they make the right choice?

That depends on whom you ask. For me who is an FCS generalist and is aware of the SWAC dynasties back then (by that time, the Ivies were shut out of any postseason in football as teams by their Presidents), not really. But choices are choices, and I don't think the Celebration Bowl can have a consistent reputation as the FCS playoffs.

Agreed. Alabama is the closest thing to a dynasty at the FBS level and you don't see people asking the same question there. If you want to be the best, have to beat the best.

Alabama, I agree. But many FCS folks are yet to become aware of NDSU's, to begin with.

I'd say it makes us look pathetic. Or I should say, its exposes us as being pathetic. I don't have much respect for most of DIII, I don't know why the common man would think otherwise about the FCS field.

It's because some of the most meaningful conferences who play in the FCS (football-wise in the past) shut themselves out of the playoffs. And D-III remains an oligarchy by the time the national semifinals is reached, in most years.

Is another NDSU title good for FCS? Depends on what you mean by that.

I think it's hard to say whether or not it's good for the overall competition of the subdivision. Players of similar talent level are going to continue to come in the conference, no matter who wins the title. We forget that the vast majority of players and teams don't make the playoffs and likely something like 1/2 to 2/3 of the subdivision in a four year span probably won't make the playoffs.

Players make the decision to come play college ball for various reasons, probability of winning a championship is just one of them.

Saying that NDSU's title run has made teams player better or coach better kind of erases how close NDSU has been to losing at times during this run. It also condones the idea that NDSU has gotten progressively better (2015>2014>2013>etc) when really they only need to be about the same level to win it.

People have to understand that the talent and performance of your football team is necessarily contextual. Luck often plays a role in whether or not you win. By luck I don't mean teams don't deserve to win, so much as many plays are low probability and you can't really anticipate them. When such low probability plays happen in a compounded way...that's good luck. To quote a JMU coach, your skill creates your luck. To that extent, NDSU has been one of the most skilled and lucky programs in the FCS.

As for other definitions of "bad" such as "does it hurt the FCS's perception." The FCS is, was, and always will be a niche, and its following can only be seen in absolute, not relative terms (TV ratings). Having a constant champion probably creates interest for those who don't care about FCS because it gives them a point of reference to root against or for. Like I don't know anything about D2 and D3 teams except there are a couple teams that dominate and if I so happen to turn on a game, I'm gonna pull for a team accordingly.

As for those important definition of "bad"...is it bad for FCS fans? Does it make things less fun. I will say, unequivocally it does. To be clear, you can say that and still believe someone has to beat NDSU. You can say that it's fair and square and that nothing can be done (or should be) while at the same time saying it no longer makes FCS fun. In my case, I used to love watching and follow FCS football, when Wofford was a lot better and consistent. In years where Wofford wasn't good I could still be entertained by the uncertainty of outcomes of other good teams.

But in recent years where Wofford wasn't good and NDSU kept winning anyway (pretty much the last 2 years) I've had no interest in FCS football. It's fun to watch a run such as this when the outcome is in doubt or when they're trying to beat a record, but at a certain point it gets repetitive and boring.

At what point, if you're NDSU do you no longer get satisfied with national championships? I think they're in a unique position as a program. Different from GSU and App State and other multiple championship teams just by virtue of their consistency.

I agree with your points. The fact that some teams shut their champions out of the playoffs or relegate themselves to the Celebration Bowl is bad for the FCS, at least in perception. However, we continue to support our teams...

Interesting topic.

Two perspectives:

I sadly agree. Many of the people that I know who follow CFB do not even root for a team outside of FBS.

That's actually a great point. If Duke ran off 6 straight championships, blowing everyone out 80% of the time, I personally would find it tiring and unexciting. Where would the drama be?

Of course Duke fans would all think it nothing but positive for the sport ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I say this as someone who's 3 college teams are all terrible in both sports

Yes... xcoffeex xchinscratchx

I think it had to be separate from the Fargo gameday.

You could argue it the other way as well. What draws the casual sports fan to the early rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament is David upsetting Goliath. No FCS team in the history of the subdivision has cultivated the Goliath image as much as NDSU has right now. Those of us who follow the subdivision know that if JMU would beat NDSU on Friday it's not that big of an upset. However, the casual fan who simply knows that NDSU has won like the last 18 championships would look at it as a gargantuan upset. That gives much more exposure to JMU than if they had beaten EWU in the semis.

I guess my whole point is NDSU's run for as long as it goes is good for NDSU and not so good for the FCS. When it finally ends I think you'll see that the team that ends it gets to reap the benefits of it through the increased exposure it'll bring them.

Hmm... I guess an FCS dynasty is already there, and if NDSU loses, there will be time for parity again...

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2016, 05:16 PM
you want to break up a coffee break just mention the FCS game coming up this weekend........ok, back to work ....

Milkman
December 13th, 2016, 05:27 PM
you want to break up a coffee break just mention the FCS game coming up this weekend........ok, back to work ....And if Georgia Southern, SHSU, Towson, ISU and JSU each have one title in the last 5 years how does that change anything about your example?

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 06:30 PM

I am not a Bison fan but I hangout with a lot of them and I can tell you this year isnt that much different for the ones I am around. In fact you could make a case it might be more fun now since its almost a joke what they are doing and they know it so they laugh a lot at everyone else.

cx500d
December 13th, 2016, 07:01 PM

Amen. That's why we see 6-5 teams and 11-0 Southland conference teams in the playoffs.

BisonHype!
December 13th, 2016, 07:26 PM

Here is your solution for your team:

1. Get Better
2. Quit scheduling ****ty teams
3. Win during the regular season

Note: The Bison do all of this to secure and EARN home playoff games. You don't get home field advantage by scheduling DII teams year in and year out and not playing in a tough conference. Winning the MFVC or even earning a share of the title is a feat in itself. Going on the road and scheduling FBS teams, whomever they are and coming away with a win is going to look even better on your resume come seeding for the playoffs. This is hard to figure out. Don't whine about a team getting home field advantage if they have earned it. Jeezus.... someone get that crying baby picture up here again.

Bronco
December 13th, 2016, 07:37 PM
-
Yes... it is good for FCS for people tuning in not knowing about our brand of football to see a full stadium of knowledgeable fans having a great time

Empty seats don't help us...if our fans don't show up why should ESPN

REALBird
December 13th, 2016, 08:00 PM
How anyone can say NDSU winning is bad for FCS is just spoiled grapes.

Is it good for NDSU, Hell Yeah! It's great for them. As a fellow MVFC member I have seen their success force our school to commit to football like never before. SIU, ISUr, SDSU, MSU have all made major commitments to upgrade their facilities, WIU is on deck.

The quality of football across the conference has improved. 3 of the final 8. A chance to have an all MVFC championship for the second time in 3 seasons. I would argue just about everyone has gotten better, but they're a notch above the rest of the league. Some luck involved as well, but they recruit well too and do it with few transfers.

Those NDSU wins in September over Iowa, Iowa State, etc,. are wonderful news stories in September. By January not so much, but their dynasty has helped give FCS a lot of visibility, and a measure of respect. Wasn't much different when Ga. Southern and Appy State were the bees knees, except NDSU didn't have dreams of a bigger stage.

Call it what u want, but they're damned good and I want them to be good when we knock them on their ass one day. Beating Ali in his prime is better than beating the old guy battling the early stages of Parkinson's.

Herder
December 13th, 2016, 08:03 PM
I don't think the average sports fan cares about FCS football. NDSU's streak may cause the average fan to notice it a bit more but that's about it.

The average fan cant distinguish between the FCS and the G5. The average fan is top 10 centric.

dudeitsaid
December 13th, 2016, 08:10 PM

I'm not playing them. I don't even know if my team will be playing them. I think there is a good chance we will, and a good chance we will win. But if not my team, it won't bother me personally if they hoist another trophy.

The question wasn't asked about whether it was good or bad for football players, it was whether it was good or bad for the FCS, and by that I was referring to the fans for the most part.

I think there is a lot that NDSU has done for the FCS, and I think that the FCS is better overall because of them. And I think people love a winner. But others may lose interest.

Bisonoline
December 13th, 2016, 08:21 PM
The average fan cant distinguish between the FCS and the G5. The average fan is top 10 centric.

The average fan is getting smarter. I travel quite a bit and you would be surprised how many people know the difference.

dudeitsaid
December 13th, 2016, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=ysubigred;2435420]

Maybe...but what about the SLC, Big Sky, SoCon, etc. I know this is an unfair comparison, but the NFL tries to create parity via the draft, and it certainly seems there is plenty of excitement around more wide open opportunities to win a championship.

As has been noted, yes, FCS is pretty small potatoes in the eyes of most, and maybe a more dominant team brings more recognition to the subdivision than parity. But then again, what has created the most interest for NDSU on a national scale? The national championships, or their many FBS wins, especially their win against Iowa this year?

That being said, I don't see how more parity between a higher number of conferences wouldn't be good for the FCS. To me, it seems it would generate more excitement.

frozennorth
December 13th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Sagarin says they were the second best (#32, vs #37, #35, #17, #36) and that its playoff run was against the 4th, 5th, 11th (SHSU blowout), and 2nd best team in the country. Illinois State #41 was the highest rated non-NDSU team since 2009 Nova (#30). SDSU and CCU were both good enough to win it all.

people don't remember but the 2011 and 2012 teams really struggled to put alot of teams away, against a valley that wasn't as good. Most games were 1-2 score games against teams that weren't as good as the 2014 MVFC. The 2014 MVFC might have been the best conference outside the power 5 and sent players to the NFL as if they had been. In 2011, the Valley was ranked behind every FBS conference, and was a ways back from everyone but the pre-expansion Sunbelt. In 2012 the Valley was above only the MWC. In 2013 the valley and the Colonial passed a few fbs divisons. The Valley separated itself in 2014 and has been since.

bisonboone11
December 13th, 2016, 09:33 PM
I don't think there is any arguing that NDSU's run has helped bring more exposure to the FCS (even if it is mostly limited to NDSU and the teams that are playing them). More parity may increase interest among people that are already fans of an FCS team, but I don't see that increasing exposure outside of the bubble of FCS fans.

How many of us would honestly have heard anything about DIII football if Mount Union and Wisc-Whitewater hadn't had their run? Would we know anything about it if a different school had been winning the DIII national championship each year for the last 10-15 years?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

UNHWildcat18
December 13th, 2016, 09:58 PM
I think the real problem is that its just getting boring for us hardcore fans, "insert NDSU FAN WELL SCHEDULE BETTER TEAMS GET BETTER" yes we know, but we also have no control over our teams(we are just fans). Every year the finals become less of an interest for me since NDSU has been in the last 5. I don't think their run has been bad for the FCS in any way but in our small demographic, people are turned off by it now. In the grand scheme of things people are correct in that most of the world doesn't know or care about FCS football.

BisonFanAnn
December 13th, 2016, 10:03 PM
It's not unfair, however NDSU does have a decided advantage at home, which I think was the point he was trying to make.

So maybe the fans of other teams need to step it up?

Herder
December 13th, 2016, 10:05 PM
The average fan is getting smarter. I travel quite a bit and you would be surprised how many people know the difference.

No one cares who wins the SBC, MAC, MW, CUSA and AAC unless it's your team. Those champions have no avenue to the Rankoffs, I mean playoffs. Who really care about those conferences. People criticize the FCS, what's the difference vs. these also rans. They play 1 or 2 games vs P5, so does FCS.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2016, 10:07 PM
This thread is interesting. All that needs to be said is this:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24164&stc=1

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 10:42 PM
WHOOOOOOO!

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2016, 10:57 PM
I don't think there is any arguing that NDSU's run has helped bring more exposure to the FCS (even if it is mostly limited to NDSU and the teams that are playing them). More parity may increase interest among people that are already fans of an FCS team, but I don't see that increasing exposure outside of the bubble of FCS fans.

How many of us would honestly have heard anything about DIII football if Mount Union and Wisc-Whitewater hadn't had their run? Would we know anything about it if a different school had been winning the DIII national championship each year for the last 10-15 years?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

...IN DELAWHERE......WE WOOD.....WESLEY OUTTAH DOVER......IS D-III.....IFIN' NO MT. UNION/WHITE WA-WA.....YOU'D UH HEARD UH WOLVERINES........WE'VE PLAYED ONE O' OTHERAH......SEVERAL YEARS RUNNIN'......IN FINAL FOUR........BRAWK!

Bronco
December 13th, 2016, 10:57 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--FCsixpop--/jotqnlcial0iinworxol.gif

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2016, 10:59 PM
.....AH DON'T WANT...BIZONSSS.... TA LOSE.............AH WANT BIZONSSSSS.......TA LOSE LIKE.......SAMMY......xasswhipx.......BRAWK!

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 13th, 2016, 11:36 PM
Hmmm

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 14th, 2016, 03:59 AM

Ha!!! I quickly answered "no" and "no" in my head. Taking out those two franchises in their respective sports would be akin to blowing up the deathstar. xnodx

BTW - the Cowboys hadn't done **** in football since Jimmy Johnson was coach; and the recent Yankees have been an embarrassment to the franchise since George Steinbrenner passed in 2010. Neither sets the bar. IMO the SF Giants and St Louis Cardinals have been the standard bearers in baseball for the past decade; and the Patriots and Steelers set the bar for football in the 21st Century.

Parity does not necessarily = mediocrity. Teams can all be great = parity. Teams can all suck = still parity.

I think there are those special teams that dominate, and all fans can appreciate them. However, when a team rolls over its roster (after 4 ys) and is still coasting (see NDSU or 'Bama or Mount Union), it brings into question not what they are doing right, but what is everyone else doing wrong. Not all teams have to be as good, but there has to be a reasonable rival or occasional exchange of the torch in order for excitement and anticipation to peak.

JMU @ NDSU - exciting for the teams involved. But I would guess most are thinking, "Could this be the end? I wouldn't bet on it." And missing Friday's game to a holiday party becomes a no-brainer. It's sad but true. You honestly can say the same thing about Washington @ Alabama. In both cases, those who turn in are going to be treated to a hell of a show.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2016, 04:12 AM
remember the 3.5 million US citizens nobody cares about thread? haha

anyway, I challenge all you guys to think about Puerto Rico for a few seconds ... go ahead now

just a few seconds

At next opportunity, ask your average college football fan to think about FCS for a moment; his reaction will mirror yours when thinking about obscure Puerto Rico....

Now you have a better understanding of how this **** works... haha

anyway, as a few have already said... the Bison could win 10 strait and it doesn't change a thing on the National level, but at our level it does cause interest to ebb some.... I mean if you know the end of the movie your probably less likely to go

Gangtackle11
December 14th, 2016, 05:31 AM
99% of the people/fans who care about FCS football are here. There are pockets of the country (MVFC comes to mind) where it has a following, but for most of us 6-10k care enough to show up for our teams.

I was at at a local bar with a friend watching season opener NDSU-Charleston Southern. There must have been 20 TVs & 1 was allotted (at my request btw)to what turned to out to be an exciting game. The other 19 had NFL exhibition games on for Giants, Jets, & Eagles. Yep meaningless pre-season NFL.

So to answer the thread. It doesn't matter at least in these parts. NDSU could be Mt.Union out this way. Most don't know they play FCS or D3.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2016, 07:40 AM
remember the 3.5 million US citizens nobody cares about thread? haha

anyway, I challenge all you guys to think about Puerto Rico for a few seconds ... go ahead now

just a few seconds

At next opportunity, ask your average college football fan to think about FCS for a moment; his reaction will mirror yours when thinking about obscure Puerto Rico....

Now you have a better understanding of how this **** works... haha

anyway, as a few have already said... the Bison could win 10 strait and it doesn't change a thing on the National level, but at our level it does cause interest to ebb some.... I mean if you know the end of the movie your probably less likely to go

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24167&stc=1

BisonHype!
December 14th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Even if we lose this year, we will be back in the hunt again next year.

flyrod
December 14th, 2016, 09:30 AM

IMO
This would be a good thing for the FCS , and also a much better story for the sports people like ESPN...by having the quest for Reclaiming the championship than continuing the championship run/dominance.

Fridays game rooting aside for the above statement

(wouldn't matter who the team is the eliminated the bison)

BisonHype!
December 14th, 2016, 09:40 AM
IMO
This would be a good thing for the FCS , and also a much better story for the sports people like ESPN...by having the quest for Reclaiming the championship than continuing the championship run/dominance.

Fridays game rooting aside for the above statement

(wouldn't matter who the team is the eliminated the bison)

Perhaps. I prefer we just win the damn thing again though. ;)

ysubigred
December 14th, 2016, 09:43 AM

No way once you fall off the perch you go down the ****ter :D

ysubigred
December 14th, 2016, 09:47 AM
I remember that, most blatant PI I've seen in awhile.

- - - Updated - - -

No it wouldn't have. He wasn't very short of the ball the way it was and he was being pulled down which made his leap that much shorter.

x406xxtroublexxshakefistxxxmasx

deez_na
December 14th, 2016, 10:16 AM
x406xxtroublexxshakefistxxxmasx

Ok maybe not the most blatant but it was 100% a deserved and legit call.

NorthChuckSouth
December 14th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Funny story.. I was walking around Clemson, SC a couple years ago with a navy and gold Buccaneer Football shirt on and guy asked if it were Tampa Bay.. told him it was Charleston Southern and he said he'd never heard of it.. Even people in our own city don't know we exist but it's the downside of FCS.. no one outside of the FCS world really cares.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I am not a Bison fan but I hangout with a lot of them and I can tell you this year isnt that much different for the ones I am around. In fact you could make a case it might be more fun now since its almost a joke what they are doing and they know it so they laugh a lot at everyone else.

So you agree that FCS is a joke?

Bisonator
December 14th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Wouldn't da 8peat be sweet?
http://imgur.com/8g00CWh.jpg

dewey
December 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Wouldn't da 8peat be sweet?
http://imgur.com/8g00CWh.jpg

HELL YEAH!

It has been an amazing run so far.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2016, 12:27 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24167&stc=1

exactly! now you get how the US feels about the Bison haha

Bison56
December 14th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Who cares about how everyone feels, you must be a participation ribbon kind of guy.

underdawg
December 14th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Great point. I believe the MVFC has become a lot better over the last 5 years, partially due to the Bison streak. All the teams in the conference appear to have been building their teams to beat NDSU. UNI has done a great job of that, and SDSU this year. JMU coach even said they are instilling toughness to compete and beat NDSU. Other teams will follow, it's a matter of time.

I agree--even us, the "lowly" salukis will be an upper division team if not next season, then in 2018. Nick Hill will build a monster while he's here. It's actually easier to recruit to teams like SIU when you can say you have a national champ in your league--it's more motivational for recruits to know that than depressing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2016, 01:07 PM
I agree--even us, the "lowly" salukis will be an upper division team if not next season, then in 2018. Nick Hill will build a monster while he's here. It's actually easier to recruit to teams like SIU when you can say you have a national champ in your league--it's more motivational for recruits to know that than depressing.

Unless Hill proves that horrid defense, SIU is going no where near the top of the league.

Last year's defense:

Total defense: #100 433 yards/game

Scoring defense: #85 31 points/game

Bisonator
December 14th, 2016, 01:41 PM
As long as you still care hen!:D

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 14th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Who cares about how everyone feels, you must be a participation ribbon kind of guy.

Yep same guy that cares what Indonesia, Poland or Cuba thinks about the USA. Who gives a *****

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2016, 03:11 PM
And if Georgia Southern, SHSU, Towson, ISU and JSU each have one title in the last 5 years how does that change anything about your example?

not one bit, why do Bison fans think every post revolves around Fargo.... geez

Milkman
December 14th, 2016, 04:22 PM
not one bit, why do Bison fans think every post revolves around Fargo.... geez I didn't even mention Fargo, NDSU or Bison. Man you are obsessed with us. :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24182&stc=1

POD Knows
December 14th, 2016, 07:23 PM
"Dynasties are good" Zhu Yuanzhang

Bisonoline
December 14th, 2016, 07:36 PM

Hes just trolling or extremely ignorant.. I travel quite a bit and I get positive comments everywhere I go. Never had a negative encounter.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Hes just trolling or extremely ignorant.. I travel quite a bit and I get positive comments everywhere I go. Never had a negative encounter.

That's all he does in Bison threads.

Everywhere I go I get horns up or Go Bison.....xthumbsupx

SU19
December 14th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I would argue that yes, it is good for FCS. Why? They've given much more exposure to the level and have done more to legitimize FCS competition. The level of play in FCS has gotten much better over the past few years. When good schools like App State and GSU (and soon Coastal) left, other teams have stepped up their play.

Wilson16
December 14th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Of course it's good.
Only way the title game sells out
only reason fans outside of FCS even know the level exsists
only way the level gets any national media exposure
gives every other FCS team and their fans someone to hate

the end

Bisonoline
December 14th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Of course it's good.

the end

xthumbsupx
Plus its a hell of a good time.
NEXT

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Yep same guy that cares what Indonesia, Poland or Cuba thinks about the USA. Who gives a *****

exactly what they tell me at work when I bring up the Bison and FCS

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2016, 08:21 PM

what's that... the Refs will set the tone early and call back a clean JMU Punt return for a TD.... Wait for it now

Wilson16
December 14th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Penis envy .. clap clap.. clap clap
you got it bad

clawman
December 14th, 2016, 09:43 PM

because they have never been out of the county, thats all they know!

Bisonoline
December 14th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Penis envy .. clap clap.. clap clap
you got it bad

You gotta remember his work is in a tortilla factory south of FLA. They still use a goats head as a sports equipment so what do you expect.

- - - Updated - - -

because they have never been out of the county, thats all they know!

Wow thats all you got? xcoffeex

Hammerhead
December 14th, 2016, 09:51 PM
And Frisco might not bid for the championship game anymore if NDSU fans don't drink the town dry in early January every year.

Of course it's good.

the end

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2016, 09:55 PM
what's that... the Refs will set the tone early and call back a clean JMU Punt return for a TD.... Wait for it now
I'll give you a dollar if JMU gets a single punt return yard the whole game.

underdawg
December 14th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Unless Hill proves that horrid defense, SIU is going no where near the top of the league.

Last year's defense:

Total defense: #100 433 yards/game

Scoring defense: #85 31 points/game

You guys can't even take a compliment without doing some arrogant trolling--now that I think about it, it would at least deflate the size of your heads to lose Friday

SUPharmacist
December 14th, 2016, 11:36 PM

And that's ok, because I don't give a **** about them either. I would be a hypocrite if I expected them to care about NDSU or FCS.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 15th, 2016, 12:13 AM

I hope so!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/02/46/7202460d47c507cae6a1a478d3eace1c.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2016, 12:23 AM
99% of the people/fans who care about FCS football are here. There are pockets of the country (MVFC comes to mind) where it has a following, but for most of us 6-10k care enough to show up for our teams.

I was at at a local bar with a friend watching season opener NDSU-Charleston Southern. There must have been 20 TVs & 1 was allotted (at my request btw)to what turned to out to be an exciting game. The other 19 had NFL exhibition games on for Giants, Jets, & Eagles. Yep meaningless pre-season NFL.

So to answer the thread. It doesn't matter at least in these parts. NDSU could be Mt.Union out this way. Most don't know they play FCS or D3.

That's very true!

Overall, I agree with your post. I will say that in the Northeast people know about FCS/1-AA. People know that Ivy League football isn't big time but isn't D2 either. They know about the Patriot League and CAA schools and where they stack up in the world of college football. The biggest reason imo is the fact that so many people in the Northeast go to small schools. Even so, FCS football still fails to resonate with the casual fan.

Twentysix
December 15th, 2016, 12:49 AM

Quite.

This is also completely true about football in general. You either care or you don't, and most people don't.

I've had numerous times around when NDSU plays on ESPN, vs CSU vs UM vs Iowa etc and people in San Diego will strike up a conversation about seeing NDSU on tv when I'm wearing an NDSU shirt around San Diego.

But for every 1 of those people there are 100 more that wouldn't bat an eye if football as a sport ceased to exist tomorrow.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 15th, 2016, 03:54 AM

With equal passion, I want EWU to win it. To be the team that Bison will eternally loathe for being the only team they can't beat in the playoffs. On top of that, I want it to end in a controversial call. I want the butthurt to be full throttle.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 15th, 2016, 04:30 AM
I think the real problem is that its just getting boring for us hardcore fans, "insert NDSU FAN WELL SCHEDULE BETTER TEAMS GET BETTER" yes we know, but we also have no control over our teams(we are just fans). Every year the finals become less of an interest for me since NDSU has been in the last 5. I don't think their run has been bad for the FCS in any way but in our small demographic, people are turned off by it now. In the grand scheme of things people are correct in that most of the world doesn't know or care about FCS football.

I both jokingly and seriously disagree with this.

While we're "just fans" and don't make the decisions, we as a whole can influence them. In 2012 I sent an email to Bill Chaves, our AD, regarding EWU's OOC scheduling, imploring for easier FBS money games (a necessity for most FCS schools), and more FCS home & home deals.

What has EWU done since then? H&Hs with Cal Poly, SHSU, UNI, and NDSU. :D (and yes, I did ask Chaves for a H&H with SDSU or NDSU).

No I don't really believe that these deals were worked because of my email, but it certainly didn't hurt. I encourage all fans as a whole to reach out to their ADs and admin, and make your voices heard. We are the ones buying tickets and supporting the programs; we might not get a say, but we can influence those who do.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2016, 04:33 AM
[QUOTE=Bisonoline;2436626]You gotta remember his work is in a tortilla factory south of FLA. They still use a goats head as a sports equipment so what do you expect.

nobody comes down here to work my friend....... life is good.... by the way ...... Tortilla's? Mexicans are not allowed here ..... study up and keep sending us your hard earned money.... haha

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2016, 04:38 AM
I'll give you a dollar if JMU gets a single punt return yard the whole game.

are you confusing me with a ref?

UNHWildcat18
December 15th, 2016, 04:42 AM
I both jokingly and seriously disagree with this.

While we're "just fans" and don't make the decisions, we as a whole can influence them. In 2012 I sent an email to Bill Chaves, our AD, regarding EWU's OOC scheduling, imploring for easier FBS money games (a necessity for most FCS schools), and more FCS home & home deals.

What has EWU done since then? H&Hs with Cal Poly, SHSU, UNI, and NDSU. :D (and yes, I did ask Chaves for a H&H with SDSU or NDSU).

No I don't really believe that these deals were worked because of my email, but it certainly didn't hurt. I encourage all fans as a whole to reach out to their ADs and admin, and make your voices heard. We are the ones buying tickets and supporting the programs; we might not get a say, but we can influence those who do.

Yeah unfortunately other athletic departments are under more financial tension that EWU apparently. UNH's coach mac has even stated there is no reason for us to leave the Northeast in fcs OOC due to $$, only exception being an FBS money game. I can't speak for other schools but I don't care how many times anyone emails our AD we aren't scheduling a home and home with Idaho state or lamar anytime soon. I am happy to see you guys playing a more exciting FCS OOC, believe it or not EWU is my favorite west coast team. I hope you win this weekend!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2016, 06:38 AM
You guys can't even take a compliment without doing some arrogant trolling--now that I think about it, it would at least deflate the size of your heads to lose Friday

It is the truth. SIU's defense has been a joke for years and until they improve that the Salukis will be a perennially bottom half team.

Toughen up:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24186&stc=1

Wilson16
December 15th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Yeah unfortunately other athletic departments are under more financial tension that EWU apparently. UNH's coach mac has even stated there is no reason for us to leave the Northeast in fcs OOC due to $$, only exception being an FBS money game. I can't speak for other schools but I don't care how many times anyone emails our AD we aren't scheduling a home and home with Idaho state or lamar anytime soon. I am happy to see you guys playing a more exciting FCS OOC, believe it or not EWU is my favorite west coast team. I hope you win this weekend!
If EWU has money they should try to upgrade that **** hole campus and stadium. What a dump

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2016, 07:29 AM
With equal passion, I want EWU to win it. To be the team that Bison will eternally loathe for being the only team they can't beat in the playoffs. On top of that, I want it to end in a controversial call. I want the butthurt to be full throttle.

.....JES'.....GET DUH 2010......CHAIN GANG.......xeyebrowx............AWK!

AmsterBison
December 15th, 2016, 08:19 AM
On the plus side, at least when they show NDSU home playoff games, the crowds aren't thin to the point of being pathetic. (serving up a softball to Griz fans.) :)

On the minus side, until somebody steps up and dethrones NDSU, AGS won't be doing the preseason "Fact a Day" deal about the defending national champions. We used up all the interesting facts about NDSU by the second week of August, 2012.

Anthony215
December 15th, 2016, 08:30 AM
NDSU isn't taking on transfers to win their titles its their high school recruiting classes. Have to respect their ability to recruit very well and develop their talent. To be the best you have to beat the best and until someone can knock them off in a December/January game I don't see how anyone can say them winning is bad for FCS.

Thumper 76
December 15th, 2016, 10:43 AM

Not to side track the thread, but I continually read these posts from CAA and PL fans. I understand the why and the logic behind staying in the NE, I really do. I'm not going to criticize it, but sometimes it seems like they tend to have the mindset some people have in my business that we call "stepping over dollars to pick up pennies." I understand that nobody on the east coast knows these teams, and FCS doesn't matter etc etc, but do you think that some of it could be because those schools have never really tried and are stuck in the mindset of we are what we are and it works? If you look at a team that's extremely successful but aren't willing to do what they do to be that way then don't complain if you aren't on that level. The main reason NDSU has the following it does is their success, past and present. I know UNH has a long stretch of making the playoffs, but I find it hard to believe with a Natty you wouldn't be able to start to grow the fanbase some and get them more involved. When they get more involved they start to understand what the big name programs are OOC, so those games would start to be bigger draws, and it can snowball on itself. No team grows its fanbase by doing the same thing every year. SDSU fans on average didn't know dink about YSU when we started playing them, but now recognize that they are a good program and draw better, and know when we bring in a Drake it's a crap team. Especially when we moved up to FCS. Nobody knew much of anything about teams outside our old NCC rivals, but if we had stayed DII we never would have had the stadium we have now, never would have got to the point where our attendance average was higher than the number of seats in CAS causing the need for a new place, and never would have averaged 15,000 in the regular season without stepping up and branching out with who we played. We could have just stocked the schedule with local pioneer teams and local DIIs but instead played teams like McNeese, Cal Poly, UCA, SFA, etc and it's led to huge growth in the fanbase. And before you say it's because our location, remember that Brookings is a town of 20,000 people an hour away from any city of any size, so it takes some pretty good interest to draw folks up an hour from Sioux Falls when they have a popular arena team, two popular DII schools that had better stadiums than us, concerts, festivals, and all. Plus with 90% of South Dakotans being Husker fans, it's only an extra hour or two to get to a Huskers game instead of going to an SDSU game from Sioux Falls.

In the end I think that some of the NE schools hold themselves back because they are more focused on how to save money than how to generate more. Just my $0.02

Edit: for the complaining about not having $, UNH had an athletic budget of $25 million in 2012 while SDSU was only up to $16 million in 2014.

http://www.fosters.com/article/20110802/GJSPORTS_01/708029911

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2015/09/19/sdsu-usd-spend-millions-elevate-athletic-facilities-programs/72487640/

Silenoz
December 15th, 2016, 11:28 AM
You think Philly and Villanova will ever care about their football team?

Thumper 76
December 15th, 2016, 11:39 AM

Maybe, maybe not. I do know that the people who shrug their shoulders and say "we can't" are guaranteed they never will. Nova has a big enough of a fanbase for bball I don't think it's absolutely crazy to think they could find a way to get them interested. Do you think it's impossible to find 20,000 people in a city of 1.5 million for six Saturday's a year? You really truly don't think there are 20,000 diehard football fans out of 1.5 million people who would enjoy good quality football?

Silenoz
December 15th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Do you think it's impossible to find 20,000 people in a city of 1.5 million for six Saturday's a year?

I think history says yes, it is basically impossible. The Eagles, Temple, Penn State, Nova basketball. The reasons are myriad.

Thumper 76
December 15th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I think history says yes, it is basically impossible. The Eagles, Temple, Penn State, Nova basketball. The reasons are myriad.

Penn St is further away from Philly than Lincoln is from Brookings, Eagles play on Sunday's, basketball is at the end of the season.

POD Knows
December 15th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Penn St is further away from Philly than Lincoln is from Brookings, Eagles play on Sunday's, basketball is at the end of the season.

No multi-tasking capabilities apparently

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Absolutely.

Washington DC? Well, on the other hand...

Silenoz
December 15th, 2016, 01:38 PM
No multi-tasking capabilities apparently

Its not about time, its about give-a-****ness

FCS is too low a pedestal

You think 90% of the people in WaGriz or... Kitty(?) Stadium know what conference Bryant/St. Francis is in? They're there because those are the big events/the place to be around here. And it certainly ain't quality football drawing 'em in.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 15th, 2016, 01:46 PM

Negative. EWU's budget is middle to bottom of the Big Sky at 11.1M. I'm glad EWU has Chaves... he's probably done more to advance EWU Football and Athletics in general than any prior to him. FieldTurf/National Profile, LED Scoreboard, better scheduling, managing to keep Baldwin... xnodx :D

POD Knows
December 15th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Its not about time, its about give-a-****ness

FCS is too low a pedestal

You think 90% of the people in WaGriz or... Kitty(?) Stadium know what conference Bryant/St. Francis is in? They're there because those are the big events/the place to be around here. And it certainly ain't quality football drawing 'em in.

Yea, I get it, it is true that we have a big advantage in the Dakotas and Montana.

I also get the quality football thing, sometimes drunk guys think a 300 lbs. stripper is hot.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Yea, I get it, it is true that we have a big advantage in the Dakotas and Montana.

I also get the quality football thing, sometimes drunk guys think a 300 lbs. stripper is hot.

Fat chicks need lovin too.....:D

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24197&stc=1

Bison56
December 15th, 2016, 04:21 PM

I've never went to bed with a fat girl, but I have woke up to a few.

TennBison
December 15th, 2016, 05:42 PM

The funny thing is, most of those college football fans of teams in the FBS like OSU, Michigan, Alabama, and so on.........never went to those schools. They are folks who went to Hicksville State University for Boys, or something like that. They are from FCS, Div II, DivIII, Juco, and schools who have a name you would have sworn were made up and then all the people who never went to college. The vast majority of folks who go to college do not go to a FBS level football school. I saw an article on it once and all lower level colleges outnumber the FBS schools somewhere in the range of 90% to 10%. Yet, in order to fit in with the hip crowd they dump any allegiance they have to their alma mater in order to be cool.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2016, 06:47 PM
The funny thing is, most of those college football fans of teams in the FBS like OSU, Michigan, Alabama, and so on.........never went to those schools. They are folks who went to Hicksville State University for Boys, or something like that. They are from FCS, Div II, DivIII, Juco, and schools who have a name you would have sworn were made up and then all the people who never went to college. The vast majority of folks who go to college do not go to a FBS level football school. I saw an article on it once and all lower level colleges outnumber the FBS schools somewhere in the range of 90% to 10%. Yet, in order to fit in with the hip crowd they dump any allegiance they have to their alma mater in order to be cool.

I can agree with a lot of this post

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2016, 06:51 PM

Philly team is the Eagles but Temple is catching on.... Nova plays football? it's shame they are treated with such disinterest

Bison56
December 15th, 2016, 08:16 PM
How would it hurt the FCS?

awBison
December 15th, 2016, 10:29 PM
I've never went to bed with a fat girl, but I have woke up to a few.
Last night I went to bed at 2 with a 10 and woke up at 10 with a 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPJQ23Lpejg

SingForever
December 16th, 2016, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=BisonHype!;2435859]Here is your solution for your team:

1. Get Better
Yeah they earned a home game. Now that we have settled that, its still in a Dome where offenses can hardly hear themselves. That I an advantage that results with unfamiliar teams losing. If every team played in a dome it would be more acceptable. GET IT? GET IT? I know that is impossible, but it helps a team like NDSU (which I recognize as an excellent team) win consistently. And it gets the rest of us frustrated. YOU DON'T WIN 5 STRAIGHT WITHOUT THAT ADVANTAGE.
Note:

Klepto
December 16th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I agree the dome is a distinct advantage. Bison fans breathed a heavy sigh of relief when they didn't have to travel to ISUr for the semi's last season.

sudoCrushMS
December 16th, 2016, 01:45 PM

I was in Frisco and nearly lost my mind at the end. Roberson's run to take the lead in the fourth scared the hell out us. Didn't really settle down until RJ caught that pass on 3rd and 10. They had Carson in the backfield: under pressure, off balance, and he under-threw it. But RJ just went back and got it. Defnitely the most intense Championship moment, and about the same feeling as GSU in 2012 (I think I have some minor hearing deterioration from that game...).

Southern Bison
December 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Yeah they earned a home game. Now that we have settled that, its still in a Dome where offenses can hardly hear themselves. That I an advantage that results with unfamiliar teams losing. If every team played in a dome it would be more acceptable. GET IT? GET IT? I know that is impossible, but it helps a team like NDSU (which I recognize as an excellent team) win consistently. And it gets the rest of us frustrated. YOU DON'T WIN 5 STRAIGHT WITHOUT THAT ADVANTAGE.
Note:

Holy crap, Snowflake! Did you not get enough participation medals growing up?

UNI, South Dakota, North Dakota, Idaho, & N. Arizona also have domes so we should only play them?

How about schools that are high in elevation? They need dig their stadium down 4,000 feet into the ground?

I'm sure Coastal, GaSo, Lehigh, SHSU, Furman, & others would've loved to played at an expanded Dacotah Field in December...here's a video for perspective.

https://youtu.be/WOXkT107x2E

I'll take 70° & no wind with deafening sound instead of -10° with 20 mph winds & 300 fans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sudoCrushMS
December 16th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I don't think the Championships really have any effect on people outside of the FCS. FBS/NFL fans don't care or don't even know it's going on (it's an off week as far as they're concerned).
The best way for the FCS to promote the brand and prove itself is the first couple weeks every season. I'm not sure about everyone else here, but when it's FCS vs. FBS I'm ALWAYS siding with the FCS (even the Bunnies...). It's great to come into work after Iowa/Wazzu/etc have lost to an FCS team and explain to people that it's not a fluke, these teams are just that good. We'll always be the "lowly" FCS (or D-II or DI-AA) in their eyes, but we can still do our part in collectively beating the piss out of some of their darlings every year.

Bisonwinagn
December 16th, 2016, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=BisonHype!;2435859]Here is your solution for your team:

1. Get Better
Note:

NDSU has more home losses then road losses so there is that.

caribbeanhen
December 16th, 2016, 06:41 PM

well almost nailed it, wasn't a pr but they called a TD back....

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Looks like this thread will be of no consequence.

centennial
December 16th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Looks like this thread will be of no consequence.

Agreed.

SingForever
December 17th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Ok, saying its unfair they earned homefield advantage is ridiculous. Let's not even acknowledge someone tried to argue that.

When your homefield is in a Dome and the NDSU fans outnumber the visitors 20 to 1 it is unfair the visitors who don' t play in a Dome. BUT JMU overcame the Dome crap and WON as I predicted! YIPPEE! IT'S OVER. All those noise-created offside penalties by the right tackle didn't unfairly cost JMU the game. I feel real good about that. You should acknowledge me. I didn't say that it is unfair they earned the homefield advantage. I said it was unfair to have to play in the Dome. IT JUST IS!!!

SingForever
December 17th, 2016, 10:48 AM

IT's OVER!!! Fortunately JMU did not lose due to the noise-provoked offside penalties on the JMU right tackle. Playingin a doe where NDSU fas outnumber visiting fans by 20 to 1 is a large disadvantage to the visiting team. That is unfair. And, ACKNOWLEGE THIS - I did not say it was unfair to earn homefield advantage. I said it was unfair to have to play in the f-------- Fargo Dome. IT JUST IS! I thought JMU was the superior team, and now I am very satisfied that the best team won. YIPPEE!

Bison56
December 17th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Unfairxbawlingx

Bisonator
December 17th, 2016, 11:48 AM
When your homefield is in a Dome and the NDSU fans outnumber the visitors 20 to 1 it is unfair the visitors who don' t play in a Dome. BUT JMU overcame the Dome crap and WON as I predicted! YIPPEE! IT'S OVER. All those noise-created offside penalties by the right tackle didn't unfairly cost JMU the game. I feel real good about that. You should acknowledge me. I didn't say that it is unfair they earned the homefield advantage. I said it was unfair to have to play in the Dome. IT JUST IS!!!

IT's OVER!!! Fortunately JMU did not lose due to the noise-provoked offside penalties on the JMU right tackle. Playingin a doe where NDSU fas outnumber visiting fans by 20 to 1 is a large disadvantage to the visiting team. That is unfair. And, ACKNOWLEGE THIS - I did not say it was unfair to earn homefield advantage. I said it was unfair to have to play in the f-------- Fargo Dome. IT JUST IS! I thought JMU was the superior team, and now I am very satisfied that the best team won. YIPPEE!
Are you fricking serious? Of course its "unfair", it's called home field "advantage" for a reason. You don't think JMU has an "unfair" advantage in their stadium when its 20-1 in their favor in the stands. The dome is our home. It is what it is if people don't like playing there then win home field advantage through the PO's and you won't have to but stop ****ing whining about "fairness". Life isn't fair get used to it!

BisonHype!
December 17th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Are you fricking serious? Of course its "unfair", it's called home field "advantage" for a reason. You don't think JMU has an "unfair" advantage in their stadium when its 20-1 in their favor in the stands. The dome is our home. It is what it is if people don't like playing there then win home field advantage through the PO's and you won't have to but stop ****ing whining about "fairness". Life isn't fair get used to it!

Well said.... Lol. Damn whining bitches. That's why teams EARN the right to play at home. Every team that gets to play at home has an advantage. NDSU just has a supportive fanbase, and we play in a dome. UNI plays in a dome as well. Why is this so hard to understand? Wow...

BisonHype!
December 17th, 2016, 12:26 PM

Shall we give the home field to a lower seed because it is "unfair"? Should EWU travel to YSU today because their field is painted red and their fans will outnumber YSU fans that didn't travel from Ohio to Washington today? 😂 Just ****ing silly

BisonHype!
December 17th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Sorry Bisonator, the quote was intended for SingForever. #fail \______/

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
December 17th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Just because something is difficult, doesn't mean its unfair. NDSU has a loud and passionate fanbase and the design of their dome lends itself to it being loud. Nobody in the NFL says its unfair to play against Seattle or Kansas City at their homefield.

BisonHype!
December 17th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Just because something is difficult, doesn't mean its unfair. NDSU has a loud and passionate fanbase and the design of their dome lends itself to it being loud. Nobody in the NFL says its unfair to play against Seattle or Kansas City at their homefield.

This guy gets it..... ;)