NDSU

JMU

YSU

EWU

JMU

NDSU

EWU

YSU

Boy, I suck at formatting. I haven't had any luck posting from excel, so I figured I'd try the embedded tables. Yep, I still suck at posting anything on here that looks polished. I should just post a link to a googledoc. Sheesh.

There are a lot of stats we could look at, but I pulled out some defensive and offensive comparisons of just the final four teams.

In all actuality, and not surprisingly, the four teams are near the top of the FCS in most of these categories, with some lapses by each team in a couple of them. But rather than put in the FCS overall rank, I just put in where they rank 1-4, and what the stats are.

And don't forget...stats tell the whole story, so we know who will win based on these numbers. :D

Red Zone D

Red Zone O

Team
%

Team
%

NDSU

JMU

EWU

NDSU

JMU

EWU

YSU

YSU

Total D

Total O

Team
Yards

Team
Yards

NDSU

EWU

YSU

JMU

JMU

YSU

EWU

NDSU

3rd Down D

3rd Down O

Team
Percentage

Team
Margin

JMU

EWU

YSU

JMU

EWU

YSU

NDSU

NDSU

Rushing D

Rushing O

Team
Yards

Team
Yards

NDSU

JMU

YSU

YSU

JMU

NDSU

EWU

EWU

Passing D

Passing O

Team
Yards

Team
Yards

YSU

EWU

JMU

JMU

NDSU

YSU

EWU

NDSU

Turnover Margin

Team
Margin

JMU

EWU

NDSU

YSU

BisonTru
December 11th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I just cut and paste stuff from google sheets. Looks good on the website. Of course it's a garbled mess on Tapa, but that seems to be an issue regardless of what you use.

mcveyrl
December 11th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I just cut and paste stuff from google sheets. Looks good on the website. Of course it's a garbled mess on Tapa, but that seems to be an issue regardless of what you use.

This is actually the best a table has looked to me on Tapa. Definitely some interesting stats, thanks for compiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalm
December 11th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Good work, Dude.

Of course other comparisons include...

Charleston Southern, EWU, Iowa
Washington State, NDSU, UNI
WVU, Duquesne, RMU
UNC, Morehead, CCSU

and...

conference tendencies....

For instance, other than JMU, the CAA has only one other team in the top 50 in total offense but they have 6 teams in the top 50 in total defense. Almost the opposite is true for the Big Sky which has only two teams in the top 50 in D but 4 teams in the top 13 on O and 7 in the top 50.

The MVFC has 4 top 50 teams in each.

dudeitsaid
December 11th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Good work, Dude.

Of course other comparisons include...

Charleston Southern, EWU, Iowa
Washington State, NDSU, UNI
WVU, Duquesne, RMU
UNC, Morehead, CCSU

and...

conference tendencies....

For instance, other than JMU, the CAA has only one other team in the top 50 in total offense but they have 6 teams in the top 50 in total defense. Almost the opposite is true for the Big Sky which has only two teams in the top 50 in D but 4 teams in the top 13 on O and 7 in the top 50.

The MVFC has 4 top 50 teams in each.

Yeah, it's interesting to see that stats almost tell the story of the conference styles.

DirtyDukes
December 11th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Appreciate the actual analysis. NDSU fans must hate you!

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 11th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Why? NDSU has the top defense. NDSU's offence doesn't run up the score on other teams, so the scoring will be less. Also NDSU has more TOP.

Schwarz04
December 11th, 2016, 10:30 PM

Why?

Those statistics look pretty damn good to me.

dudeitsaid
December 11th, 2016, 10:34 PM

I don't know. I think these stats play into the Bison philosophy of defense above all else. I think they care less about their offensive stats, but have plenty there to hang their hats on. Defensively, they are the top of the heap in four of those comparisons.

I haven't seen much of JMU this year. I saw the pure dismantling of the Bearkats, and a little bit of another game a lot earlier in the season. I know there is a lot of "We've heard this before" on the game thread. But, from my perspective, I think you guys have what it takes to beat them. You guys have performed well defensively against much tougher competition than SHSU. But what is interesting is the level of balance you guys have on offense. EWU lacks a consistent running game, which I think is a weakness that could potentially come back to haunt us. But you're ability to pass, with a mobile QB, and a good running game, and opportunistic D...I think you guys take this one. EWU had a chance to win against the Bison, just a shanked FG away from taking that game, and was -2 in turnover margin that game. The Bison should've buried us. But they couldn't. Of course, EWU is good, so I'm not saying they suck cause they couldn't put us away. And I'm not saying that the Bison haven't improved, but they lost a gamechanger that made a huge difference against EWU in Deluca. I'm just saying their not as invincible as a few of their fans think (most are actually pretty reasonable truthfully). JMU's got my vote for the win.

dudeitsaid
December 11th, 2016, 10:36 PM
I don't know. I think these stats play into the Bison philosophy of defense above all else. I think they care less about their offensive stats, but have plenty there to hang their hats on. Defensively, they are the top of the heap in four of those comparisons.

LOL, while typing that, a couple Bison fans confirm that. Not saying it's wrong. I just think strong defense is exactly what they shoot for, and it's what they got.

dewey
December 11th, 2016, 10:47 PM

Why would NDSU fans hate statistics? NDSU has a good defense this year and a good offense. Notice how I did not say great for the D or the O.

Great work on the stats guys.

Dewey

Schwarz04
December 11th, 2016, 10:48 PM
[/B]

LOL, while typing that, a couple Bison fans confirm that. Not saying it's wrong. I just think strong defense is exactly what they shoot for, and it's what they got.

Bingo! 👍

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2016, 04:11 PM
It's easy to shoot holes in most statistics but one thing I thought was interesting is that JMU is 38th in the FCS allowing 138.2 yards rushing per game but they're 66th allowing 4.36 yards per rush. That tells me they've been able to make teams one dimensional passing the ball which plays right into JMU's strength on defense (they're 7th in the nation in pass efficiency defense). It'll be important for JMU to get an early lead against NDSU and try to force the Bison into having to pass the ball. Likewise, if the Bison can keep it close or keep a lead I think they'll be able to run the ball on JMU, especially late in the game when the NDSU O-line typically really starts to throw their weight around.

awBison
December 12th, 2016, 04:35 PM
It's easy to shoot holes in most statistics but one thing I thought was interesting is that JMU is 38th in the FCS allowing 138.2 yards rushing per game but they're 66th allowing 4.36 yards per rush. That tells me they've been able to make teams one dimensional passing the ball which plays right into JMU's strength on defense (they're 7th in the nation in pass efficiency defense). It'll be important for JMU to get an early lead against NDSU and try to force the Bison into having to pass the ball. Likewise, if the Bison can keep it close or keep a lead I think they'll be able to run the ball on JMU, especially late in the game when the NDSU O-line typically really starts to throw their weight around.
I'd say it's a safe bet to say that if the Jacks and the Hawkeyes couldn't stop NDSU's run game, that JMU will not be able to either. Especially when our backs are finally starting to get healthy again.

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2016, 04:39 PM
I'd say it's a safe bet to say that if the Jacks and the Hawkeyes couldn't stop NDSU's run game, that JMU will not be able to either. Especially when our backs are finally starting to get healthy again.
SDSU did a good job of it the first time around. I think the key defensively, as it is in most games, is getting off the field on 3rd down. However, if NDSU's offense is consistently looking at 3rd and 5 or less because they're ripping off 4 or more yards each time they run the ball it's going to be a long night for JMU. This last game against SDSU was easily NDSU's most efficient offensive performance on 3rd down this year. If they keep that up against JMU then Mayor Maso will be jumping for joy once again come Friday night.

JMUNJ08
December 12th, 2016, 04:57 PM

I haven't seen much of JMU this year. I saw the pure dismantling of the Bearkats, and a little bit of another game a lot earlier in the season. I know there is a lot of "We've heard this before" on the game thread. But, from my perspective, I think you guys have what it takes to beat them. You guys have performed well defensively against much tougher competition than SHSU. But what is interesting is the level of balance you guys have on offense. EWU lacks a consistent running game, which I think is a weakness that could potentially come back to haunt us. But you're ability to pass, with a mobile QB, and a good running game, and opportunistic D...I think you guys take this one. EWU had a chance to win against the Bison, just a shanked FG away from taking that game, and was -2 in turnover margin that game. The Bison should've buried us. But they couldn't. Of course, EWU is good, so I'm not saying they suck cause they couldn't put us away. And I'm not saying that the Bison haven't improved, but they lost a gamechanger that made a huge difference against EWU in Deluca. I'm just saying their not as invincible as a few of their fans think (most are actually pretty reasonable truthfully). JMU's got my vote for the win.

I'm with this guy!

JMUNJ08
December 12th, 2016, 04:58 PM

Bingo

Let's revisit during/ after the game because this should be the difference...

Gil Dobie
December 12th, 2016, 05:20 PM
All four finalist have won a Championship.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2016, 07:05 PM

IMO, 4.36 yards/rush is pretty mediocre in my book. Now if they were down in the 3.5 or lower range then I would raise an eyebrow.

With the Bison's running scheme, I think they will be able to run on this defense.

I'm sure it will play out seeing a bunch of 8 or 9 men in the box series/plays from JMU. One thing I like is that our WRs can really block.

If the Bison play like they did on Saturday, I think this game is a 2 or more TD win for the Bison.

Bisonator
December 12th, 2016, 08:07 PM
All four finalist have won a Championship.

Pretty good group:

NDSU - 5 titles
YSU - 4
EWU and JMU - 1

That's 10 titles in the final 4!