PDA

View Full Version : UNA Announcing Move To D-1, FCS Today

SU DOG
December 6th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Press conference within the hour. It looks like the Big South will add them for football.

http://www.timesdaily.com/news/local/una-officials-to-address-athletic-classification-today/article_82403b03-a319-5e58-9845-33de2b1e862b.html

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2016, 03:37 PM
This is old news. They are already seeed higher than Sam Houston State. :D

Daytripper
December 6th, 2016, 03:39 PM
This is old news. They are already seeed higher than Sam Houston State. :D

You seem obsessed with us.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Rob is just sad there's no UNA helmet he can use as an avi

UNIFanSince1983
December 6th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Rob is just sad there's no UNA helmet he can use as an avi

<----------- You can get any helmet as an avi if you know where to look

Redbird007
December 6th, 2016, 03:58 PM
<----------- You can get any helmet as an avi if you know where to look

did you get that one at the flea market?

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Helmet Database has some nice ones.

dgtw
December 6th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Glad to see this finally happen, it is long overdue.

SU DOG
December 6th, 2016, 05:08 PM
It's going to still be a long time in coming. According to the Big South release, UNA will have a full schedule in the conference in 2019, and won't be eligible for Championship/Playoffs until 2022. UNA will, IMO, have to up their athletic budget from the $8 million mark that I saw listed somewhere, if they are going to be competitive. I will say, however, that this is a good move by TUNA and the BS. This place has a history of winning and also of good fan support.

Braly
December 6th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Go Lions!

A lot of people are pessimistic about this move around town but I think we can find some success in FCS. The other sports will be a rough transition nationally.

Hopefully we can get some old GSC members to schedule us: Jacksonville St, Troy, UT-Martin, Nicholls, Northwestern St, Southeastern Louisiana and Central Arkansas

VikingPSU
December 6th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Congrats and welcome UNA!

ZableNoise
December 7th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Go Lions!

A lot of people are pessimistic about this move around town but I think we can find some success in FCS. The other sports will be a rough transition nationally.

Hopefully we can get some old GSC members to schedule us: Jacksonville St, Troy, UT-Martin, Nicholls, Northwestern St, Southeastern Louisiana and Central Arkansas

Why the pessimism? I think UNA is a great fit for FCS.

BEAR
December 7th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Go Lions!

UCA would LOVE to schedule you guys........but we'd be afraid to get our butts kicked every time. xlolx No seriously, I think it would be great for the two teams to meet again. UCA has grown so much as a program. UNA would have a hard time recognizing that old Arkansas team that ran the GSC until they met UNA and Valdosta. Just the 10 years in the FCS and we are now a top 25 FCS team, playoffs 3 times out of the 6 years eligible! But that aside, I see UNA doing that on a regular basis...no problem. UNA is TOUGH. I believe that will continue in the FCS for them. We used to call them The University of Alabama- North campus...because that's what you brought with you gameday!

Bisonator
December 7th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Go Lions!

Same thing happened around Fargo when NDSU made the transition. You guys will do well too. Welcome to the FCS!xthumbsupx

Theee Catrabbit
December 7th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Same thing happened around Fargo when NDSU made the transition. You guys will do well too. Welcome to the FCS!xthumbsupx

1st What is a "UNA". 2nd SDSU got the same ridicule, even from it's little sister-University. The naysayers have since skulked away and slid down the sewers away from the bright shining light that is our University. USuxD has since tried to join us.......

Bisonator
December 7th, 2016, 12:30 PM
1st What is a "UNA". 2nd SDSU got the same ridicule, even from it's little sister-University. The naysayers have since skulked away and slid down the sewers away from the bright shining light that is our University. USuxD has since tried to join us.......
University of North Alabama

SU DOG
December 7th, 2016, 01:01 PM
The University of North Alabama(1830) is the oldest 4 year public university in the state. The enrollment is just over 6,000 and their football stadium seats 14, 215. The Lions football team is currently ranked #10 in the nation and is now playing in the D2 Playoffs.
The school is located in Florence Alabama, which is situated in a beautiful setting on the banks of the Tennessee River. Florence has a population of about 40,000, but the area, known as the Quad Cities of Florence, Sheffield, Muscle Shoals, and Tuscumbia has a population of over 200,000.

Just my opinion, and I have no connections with UNA, but I see this school as having all the resources to make the jump. I also hope we see them on some future Samford schedules.

Braly
December 8th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Why the pessimism? I think UNA is a great fit for FCS.

Either they think we will not be competitive or it willl cost too much or both.

Students are worried about an increase in tuition. One of the selling points UNA has is that it is more affordable than other colleges in Alabama

Braly
December 8th, 2016, 11:20 PM
UCA would LOVE to schedule you guys........but we'd be afraid to get our butts kicked every time. xlolx No seriously, I think it would be great for the two teams to meet again. UCA has grown so much as a program. UNA would have a hard time recognizing that old Arkansas team that ran the GSC until they met UNA and Valdosta. Just the 10 years in the FCS and we are now a top 25 FCS team, playoffs 3 times out of the 6 years eligible! But that aside, I see UNA doing that on a regular basis...no problem. UNA is TOUGH. I believe that will continue in the FCS for them. We used to call them The University of Alabama- North campus...because that's what you brought with you gameday!

Seems like just yesterday we were playing each other in the D2 playoffs. Wish we wouldve made the jump when yall did

Braly
December 8th, 2016, 11:22 PM

UNA is not only the abbreviation for our university. It is also the name of our female lion on campus. The male lion is named Leo

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/1d/c4/77/1dc477744d0ea02497d0cd8fa616d9b7.jpg

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Not that it really matters to anyone, but I like it, and I hope they do well.
I've got friends who are UNA alumni, I like their color scheme, and they've got a really good band.

I don't think they'll be the next NDSU, but they could definitely be competitive very early on and I think they'd probably be a really good fit for the Ohio Valley in a few years if they've got the room.

BEAR
December 9th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Seems like just yesterday we were playing each other in the D2 playoffs. Wish we wouldve made the jump when yall did

Now go get more of your fans to post here on this board! FCS hasn't seen what a full scholly UNA team can do yet. Seriously it made UCA, who was pretty good in D2, even better at the FCS level.

(My avatar is SHSU's helmet because they are in the playoffs. We were until last week when our offense decided to not show up past the first quarter...xlolx )

UIWWildthing
December 9th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the party!