PDA

View Full Version : Abilene Christian Hires a Coach but it's a secret

Catatonic
December 6th, 2016, 06:31 AM
ACU has hired a new head coach. The announcement was made by ACU Athletic Director Lee De Leon in a meeting with the team yesterday. The name won't be announced until the new-hire's season with his current team is finished. ACU spoke with several FBS assistants whose teams will play in bowls so it could be one of them, but the unconfirmed internet rumor is Adam Dorrel, HC of Northwest Missouri State. If true, this is a home run hire.

Dorrel's team plays in the D2 semifinals this weekend. Dorrel has coached two previous D2 national championship teams and has won the D2 national coach of the year twice. Northwestern State is playing for an unprecedented 6th national title. A win would break the record held by North Dakota State before they moved up.

The new coach reportedly signed a five year deal that will make him one of the highest paid coaches in the Southland Conference.

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2016, 07:26 AM
.....DEY'RE...COMIN' AFTER YA'S......KC...xcoolx.....BRAWK!

BEAR
December 6th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Is he bringing the cheerleader on the sideline with him? xlolx

Catatonic
December 6th, 2016, 07:34 AM

No but he will reportedly retain ACU's ball girl from the current staff.

Serpentor
December 6th, 2016, 07:59 AM
And KFC is coming for you Mr. Chicken, LOL!

BEAR
December 6th, 2016, 08:14 AM
No but he will reportedly retain ACU's ball girl from the current staff.

Classic. xlolx

Serpentor
December 6th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Well Art Briles had to end up somewhere...

DirtyDukes
December 6th, 2016, 08:29 AM
My mom's cousin is a secretary in the sports department at Abilene Christian and she sent me a picture of KC Keeler going into an interview... with his Sunglasses on.

Catatonic
December 6th, 2016, 08:35 AM
My mom's cousin is a secretary in the sports department at Abilene Christian and she sent me a picture of KC Keeler going into an interview... with his Sunglasses on. KC didn't make the final cut. It came down to Dorrel or....

http://i66.tinypic.com/29qnnkn.jpg

Serpentor
December 6th, 2016, 08:36 AM
My mom's cousin is a secretary in the sports department at Abilene Christian and she sent me a picture of KC Keeler going into an interview... with his Sunglasses on.

Oh yeah, well my mom's cousin works on the Death Star and says Luke Skywalker doesn't change his underwear!

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2016, 08:37 AM

Damn you beat me to it. That thread is HOF material.

DirtyDukes
December 6th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Oh yeah, well my mom's cousin works on the Death Star and says Luke Skywalker doesn't change his underwear!

https://img.pandawhale.com/86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif

Daytripper
December 6th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Congrats to ACU. Hope he works out and makes you guys a consistent playoff team.

TheEagleSHSU
December 6th, 2016, 09:10 AM
If in fact it is Adam Dorrell and he can get recruits to ACU and develop them, They will be a huge asset to the SLC. If the SLC can get SFA, McNeese back and get Nicholls still moving the right way. We might not have a **** conference anymore.

Catatonic
December 6th, 2016, 09:15 AM
If in fact it is Adam Dorrell and he can get recruits to ACU and develop them, They will be a huge asset to the SLC. If the SLC can get SFA, McNeese back and get Nicholls still moving the right way. We might not have a **** conference anymore.

Recruiting this year won't be good. Dorrel or whoever will be getting a very late start and I don't believe we have a single recruit committed at this point.

Future recruiting will probably require him to add a couple of staffers with Texas connections. I don't think there is any doubt that he can develop talent, if indeed he can get the players he needs on campus.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Recruiting this year won't be good. Dorrel or whoever will be getting a very late start and I don't believe we have a single recruit committed at this point.

Future recruiting will probably require him to add a couple of staffers with Texas connections. I don't think there is any doubt that he can develop talent, if indeed he can get the players he needs on campus.

I know he has been successful, but what kind of offense does he run?

Laker
December 6th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Northwest has become THE program in D2. They overpower you. I've seen them play several times in person. It will be interesting to see how this staff does at ACU.

TheEagleSHSU
December 6th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I know he has been successful, but what kind of offense does he run?

He calls his own offense and it looks to be similar to SHSU with JJ when we ran the Spread Option, A lot of intermediate throws mixed with runs and the deep ball if the defense gives it. Very methodical.

BEAR
December 6th, 2016, 11:11 AM
So we still don't know who it really is? xeyebrowx

Did we ever find out who the ball girl on the sideline is? Just curious. ...I mean she was hot, hot, hot! xthumbsupx

Bison56
December 6th, 2016, 04:32 PM
And KFC is coming for you Mr. Chicken, LOL!

I just cant stop laughing at this post.xbawlingx

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3204777/lmao-o.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj3oZGZ0ODQAhWoiVQKHTCBB4UQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgifsoup.com%2Fview%2F3204777%2Flm ao.html&psig=AFQjCNEZ2oCmfbVA7RzGOCz8tqAhcfRg9Q&ust=1481150060290427)

Bison56
December 6th, 2016, 04:37 PM

Whats the Empire pay?

Daytripper
December 6th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Whats the Empire pay?

I would hope there is hazard pay!

Catatonic
December 6th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I would hope there is hazard pay!

Decent the wages are.

dgtw
December 6th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Class move not announcing it now so it won't be a distraction for his old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
December 6th, 2016, 07:17 PM

Thread winner.

melloware13
December 6th, 2016, 09:50 PM
So we still don't know who it really is? xeyebrowx

Did we ever find out who the ball girl on the sideline is? Just curious. ...I mean she was hot, hot, hot! xthumbsupx
So she did a grad transfer up to App State?

Serpentor
December 8th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Whats the Empire pay?

Surprisingly less then you'd think. Most of the money goes toward overhead like building giant floating death planets and launching wars against teddy bear people. It's really a poorly managed Empire.

She brings home, meh, maybe $55K after taxes.

Bison56
December 8th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Surprisingly less then you'd think. Most of the money goes toward overhead like building giant floating death planets and launching wars against teddy bear people. It's really a poorly managed Empire.

She brings home, meh, maybe $55K after taxes.

Not really worth the risk in my opinion. I would imagine it is hard to get life insurance also.

Catatonic
December 9th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Question for those of you who have been around FCS football awhile.....How often do FCS schools hire D2 coaches vs FCS coaches from other schools, FBS or NFL assistants? I know Montana hired Stitt from D2 Colorado Mines. Are there other examples? Just curious.

Libertine
December 9th, 2016, 08:14 AM
How often do FCS schools hire D2 coaches vs FCS coaches from other schools, FBS or NFL assistants? I know Montana hired Stitt from D2 Colorado Mines. Are there other examples? Just curious.

It's not frequent but it's not unusual either. Just from the last few years:

Jacksonville hired Ian Shields from D2 Lenoir-Rhyne
Savannah St hired Erik Raeburn from D3 Wabash

Montana hired the aforementioned Bob Stitt
Norfolk St hired Latrell Scott from D2 Virginia St

Central Conn St hired Bob Rossamondo from D2 New Haven
The Citadel hired Mike Houston from D2 Lenoir-Rhyne
Hampton hired Connell Maynor from D2 Winston-Salem St

Western Illinois hired Bob Nielsen from D2 Minnesota-Duluth
Northwestern St hired Jay Thomas from D2 Missouri Southern
Charleston Southern hired Jamey Chadwell from D2 Delta St
Gardner-Webb hired Carroll McCray from D2 North Greenville

Southeastern Louisiana hired Ron Roberts from D2 Delta St
Texas Southern hired Darell Asberry from D2 Shaw

Howard hired Gary Harrell from D2 Bowie St

Nicholls St hired Charlie Stubbs from D2 Central Missouri
Sam Houston St hired Willie Fritz from D2 Central Missouri
Valparaiso hired Dale Carlson from NAIA Ohio Dominican
Mississippi Valley St hired Karl Morgan from D2 North Alabama

Drake hired Chris Creighton from D3 Wabash
Eastern Washington hired Beau Baldwin from D2 Central Washington
Savannah St hired Robbie Wells from D2 Benedict
South Alabama hired Joey Jones from D3 Birmingham Southern
Texas Southern hired Johnny Cole from D2 Lane

lionsrking2
December 9th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Question for those of you who have been around FCS football awhile.....How often do FCS schools hire D2 coaches vs FCS coaches from other schools, FBS or NFL assistants? I know Montana hired Stitt from D2 Colorado Mines. Are there other examples? Just curious.

Each situation is different, but generally speaking, I would prefer hiring a successful D-II head coach over an FCS or FBS assistant, or an FBS retread HC. Winners are winners and it'll translate between levels, but D-II coaches are accustomed to doing more with less when it comes to budgets and being creative with scholarship allocation. FBS and NFL assistants can be successful too, but unless they've spent some time at the lower levels of college football, it's usually an adjustment working with tighter budget constraints. And there's no substitute for track record as a head coach. Assistants can make great head coaches but there's more comfort with someone who has built and managed a program from top down vs someone who has only been in a supporting role. But again, each situation is different. It's worked out pretty well for us.

Daytripper
December 9th, 2016, 08:34 AM
It's not frequent but it's not unusual either. Just from the last few years:

Jacksonville hired Ian Shields from D2 Lenoir-Rhyne
Savannah St hired Erik Raeburn from D3 Wabash

Montana hired the aforementioned Bob Stitt
Norfolk St hired Latrell Scott from D2 Virginia St

Central Conn St hired Bob Rossamondo from D2 New Haven
The Citadel hired Mike Houston from D2 Lenoir-Rhyne
Hampton hired Connell Maynor from D2 Winston-Salem St

Western Illinois hired Bob Nielsen from D2 Minnesota-Duluth
Northwestern St hired Jay Thomas from D2 Missouri Southern
Charleston Southern hired Jamey Chadwell from D2 Delta St
Gardner-Webb hired Carroll McCray from D2 North Greenville

Southeastern Louisiana hired Ron Roberts from D2 Delta St
Texas Southern hired Darell Asberry from D2 Shaw

Howard hired Gary Harrell from D2 Bowie St

Nicholls St hired Charlie Stubbs from D2 Central Missouri
Sam Houston St hired Willie Fritz from D2 Central Missouri
Valparaiso hired Dale Carlson from NAIA Ohio Dominican
Mississippi Valley St hired Karl Morgan from D2 North Alabama

Drake hired Chris Creighton from D3 Wabash
Eastern Washington hired Beau Baldwin from D2 Central Washington
Savannah St hired Robbie Wells from D2 Benedict
South Alabama hired Joey Jones from D3 Birmingham Southern
Texas Southern hired Johnny Cole from D2 Lane

A few could be considered home run hires.....

BEAR
December 9th, 2016, 11:09 AM
2013 UCA hired Steve Campbell from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College..heck of a hire!

Daytripper
December 9th, 2016, 11:20 AM
2013 UCA hired Steve Campbell from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College..heck of a hire!

Great hire! Nice avatar! Much appreciated!

BEAR
December 9th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Great hire! Nice avatar! Much appreciated!

xthumbsupx

Catatonic
December 11th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Adam Dorrel's NW Missouri team won the D2 national semi-final game yesterday. This effectively delays ACU's announcement until after the national title game against North Alabama next Saturday. NW Mo has now won 29 games in a row but that could come to an end next week after suffering heavy losses to injury in the semi-final game.

Wildcat fans are holding their breath hoping Dorrel doesn't have a change of heart and spurn us at the last minute. Either way, recruiting is shot for this year.

kdinva
December 17th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Adam Dorrel's NW Missouri team won the D2 national semi-final game yesterday. This effectively delays ACU's announcement until after the national title game against North Alabama next Saturday.

Dorrel will be named tomorrow, or Monday, per reports...

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Catatonic
December 18th, 2016, 11:49 AM
ACU made it official today, per tweet from our AD. Introduction tomorrow at 10A
Dorrel will be named tomorrow, or Monday, per reports...

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Daytripper
December 18th, 2016, 02:17 PM
ACU made it official today, per tweet from our AD. Introduction tomorrow at 10A

Congratulations on this hire. I think you got a good one.

crossfire07
December 18th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I was happy for their hire but when ACU in their press releases tout him as the "NCAA's winningest coach" when as a head coach and he has only been in 84 games I thought that was a bit, just a bit misleading.

superman7515
December 18th, 2016, 08:57 PM
I was happy for their hire but when ACU in their press releases tout him as the "NCAA's winningest coach" when as a head coach and he has only been in 84 games I thought that was a bit, just a bit misleading.

Yeah, Gagliardi has only won 405 more games than Dorrel has coached, but he's basically neck-and-neck.

crossfire07
December 18th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Northwestern State used to be the propaganda machine in the Southland but I think ACU just topped em.

Catatonic
December 19th, 2016, 04:36 AM
The announcement went on to clarify it was based on percentage of wins, not total wins.

ASU33
December 19th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Nice hire!

Laker
December 24th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Matt Witwicki ‏@WittD2Football (https://twitter.com/WittD2Football) 17h17 hours ago (https://twitter.com/WittD2Football/status/812406662686474242)
Matt Witwicki Retweeted Adam Dorrel
Former USF DC Tremaine Jackson becomes the DC for FCS program Abilene Christian and joins former NWMSU Head Coach Adam Dorrel.

Laker
December 24th, 2016, 08:17 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0Y-YGBVEAETzI2.jpg

superman7515
December 24th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Can't blame anyone for wanting to get out of Sioux Falls.