PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to SWAC schedule

Mr. Tiger
January 17th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Changes coming to SWAC schedule

By David Brandt
[email protected]

The Southwestern Athletic Conference has decided to switch from the current nine-game league football schedule to its old seven-game format beginning in 2008.

SWAC commissioner Robert Vowels, along with the league’s presidents and chancellors, made the decision during recent meetings in Birmingham.

“It’s something that should be a positive for everyone in the league,” Vowels said.

“Hopefully, this will help scheduling concerns.”

Under the nine-game format used since 2005, SWAC schools played every other team in the conference which provided a balanced schedule. The downside was it left just two available non-conference dates in an 11-game season.

The SWAC will retain its same nine-game schedule for the 2007 season.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

TexasTerror
January 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Love it!!!

Opens the door up for the SLC vs SWAC Challenge in Shreveport, LA!

I just hope the SWAC takes advantage of this opportunity instead of teams playing non-conference games against conference foes...

3rd Coast Tiger
January 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Opens the door up for the SLC vs SWAC Challenge in Shreveport, LA!

Where have you heard this from?

bobbythekidd
January 18th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I wish somone would tell me why this is a good thing. It seems like a depature from what I-AA (FCS) is all about. I may be wrong, but I still would like to know what eveyone is aplauding.

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Bring it on SWAC!!!

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I wish somone would tell me why this is a good thing. It seems like a depature from what I-AA (FCS) is all about. I may be wrong, but I still would like to know what eveyone is aplauding.

This change opens up the opportunity to play other FCS conferences. The SWAC is always bashed for not playing the best of the FCS, this gives them the opportunity to do so, question is, will they?

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Where have you heard this from?

SLC vs SWAC Challenge is something we've discussed on this board and numerous others...

A doubleheader in Shreveport of good regional football!

3rd Coast Tiger
January 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM
SLC vs SWAC Challenge is something we've discussed on this board and numerous others...

A doubleheader in Shreveport of good regional football!

So has there been a contract sitting on the desk of Commissioner Vowels all this time for this "challenge" you and "others" have discussed (being that you have the name and location already settled upon)?

SU Jag
January 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Darn, I wish they could have gotten it done for this upcomming season! The 9-game mandate sucks!:bang:

Mr. Tiger
January 18th, 2007, 12:06 PM

The 9-game mandate gave the SWAC little opportunity to schedule non-conference games against the Southland, Southern, OVC, MEAC, or any other I-AA, FCS, team. That's why everyone is applauding the decision. I wish it could happen in 2007.

bobbythekidd
January 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The 9-game mandate gave the SWAC little opportunity to schedule non-conference games against the Southland, Southern, OVC, MEAC, or any other I-AA, FCS, team. That's why everyone is applauding the decision. I wish it could happen in 2007.
Got it. :thumbsup: Thanks guys. Now i can applaud the decision as well.:hurray: :hurray:

MACHIAVELLI
January 18th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Opens the door for the Eddie Robinson Classic. A game in which THE ICON rotates vs ULM, MSU, NSU, ULL, LA Tech, SFA, NwSU in Shreveport.

mikebigg
January 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Opens the door for the Eddie Robinson Classic. A game in which THE ICON rotates vs ULM, MSU, NSU, ULL, LA Tech, SFA, NwSU in Shreveport.

Now ya talking...what a way to open the season!

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Now ya talking...what a way to open the season!What about the rivalry with Alcorn. : smh :

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 09:28 PM
So has there been a contract sitting on the desk of Commissioner Vowels all this time for this "challenge" you and "others" have discussed (being that you have the name and location already settled upon)?

Not at all...

I did see a remark on SWACPage that one fan thought Texas Southern would play a few FBS fans due to the AD's inability to raise funds on his own for the athletic department...that was an intriguing remark.

Is it true that TxSo has found it's way on the UH football schedule?

3rd Coast Tiger
January 18th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Is it true that TxSo has found it's way on the UH football schedule?

It's being thrown around now.

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 10:07 PM
It's being thrown around now.

I think Univ of Houston fans are excited about the possibility of playing Texas Southern. They have a very tough schedule and would love a winnable game at home against a team they feel may very well draw well at Robertson...

Would be nice if the Tigers gave the Cougars a tough game. UH may host SHSU in 2008 or 2009. They've expressed interest...

jstate83
January 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Darn, I wish they could have gotten it done for this upcomming season! The 9-game mandate sucks!:bang:

As long as that 9 game mandate id DEFINITLY going away for 2008, I'll live through it 1 mo season.

That will give everybody a chance to go out and find the best out-of-conference games for them.
This way nobody is rushed into games.
This opens the door for Braddy and USM's AD to schedule that JSU/USM game on a regular basis.
They both said they want more than just the 1 game they are trying to slate for 2008.

Hell, we can even schedule 2 and 3 years down the road again. :thumbsup:
Not being able to do that has killed JSU's scheduling.:nod:

mikebigg
January 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM
What about the rivalry with Alcorn. : smh :

A great longtime traditional opponent and conference rivalry... I attended GSU in the mid 70's so I have fond memories of the Old Red River Classic in Shreveport as well as the home games between the two schools. BUT, I have always felt that this game should have been played AFTER we have gotten the non-conference games out of the way. Not sure if they will be our permanent opponent out of the Eastern Division or exactly how this will all work out in scheduling (among Conference members).

I like being able to play 4 non-conference games each year. I would like to see GSU continue our recent playing of former D1 schools, a non-conference HBCU, any state school (D1 or former D1AA), and either a D1AA power or D1 mid major from CUSA, SunBelt, or MAC.

There's so many schools that I would love to see The ICON line up against... Montana, Delaware, App State, Ivy League, Youngstown, FAMU, SC State, North Texas State, etc.