PDA

View Full Version : Should College Athletes Get Paid?

OLDLCOACH111
January 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM
This has been a big issue in the news lately. What do you think?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=gilmore_rod&id=2733624

Husky Alum
January 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Yes, a modest stipend should be given to Division I Athletes.

I wrote my thesis at NU about it 10+ years ago and now more than ever I think these kids should get something like $50-75 a week in "pocket money" to buy their girlfriend a modest dinner or to go to a movie. They can't work in season, and in the off season, many of them are training for the season or are in summer school.

rokamortis
January 17th, 2007, 06:08 PM

I wrote my thesis at NU about it 10+ years ago and now more than ever I think these kids should get something like $50-75 a week in "pocket money" to buy their girlfriend a modest dinner or to go to a movie. They can't work in season, and in the off season, many of them are training for the season or are in summer school.

Sounds reasonable to me.

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
The "laundry stipend" of the past is reasonable, but beyond that is a slippery sport that would ruin college sports.

Between the inevitable gender equity claims to payments, legal action to call into question schools' tax-exempt status, right to work provisions, not to mention out and out corruption, it's an idea whose time has not come.

MplsBison
January 17th, 2007, 06:23 PM
No money other than the scholarship.

If they don't like it, apply for the NFL draft.

I'd like to see the age minimum to apply to the draft lowered as well.

patssle
January 17th, 2007, 06:52 PM
theres a line that has to be drawn though. In the BCS, schools are big-time and bring in a ton of money. However at our level, most athletes are not playing to make it into the NFL or get on ESPNs highlights. Our athletes are not bringing in millions of dollars for our programs.

BCS could afford to pay its athletes from the money brought in through advertising. Where would we get that extra money from already low budget athletic departments?

But if BCS paid and we didn't, then that would create a huge unfair advantage....

My stance is this: we ALREADY pay athletes.

jstate83
January 17th, 2007, 06:55 PM
YES......................Alway's said that and alway's will. :nod:

jstate83
January 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM

A running back at Ohio State already tried that and the people in charge acted like it would be the end of the world remember.

SoCon48
January 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM
YES......................Alway's said that and alway's will. :nod:

I agree. But then deduct their tuition, fees, books, room, training table meals, shoes, championship rings, etc out of it.:cool:

HiHiYikas
January 17th, 2007, 07:47 PM
No.

Then again, the student body president at many universities earns a very decent salary.

MR. CHICKEN
January 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM
NOPE...: smh :.......WOULDN'T BE LONG.....B/4......DUH BIDDIN' WARS.....AN' AGENTS....:nod:...BRAWK!

aggie6thman
January 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
They do get paid, in the form of a fully funded college education and everything that gets them in the future.

FuturePenguin
January 18th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I think to pay them would completely throw out what college athletics, especially football are about. They are still students and are supposed to be going to college to get an education, not get paid. That is why we have the NFL, and that is the only place that they should be making any money.

andy7171
January 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
As a former player, I don't think its a good idea to pay athletes. Yes, you can work in season. I worked as a doorman at several local establishments 1-2-3 times a week. And 5-6 during the off season and summer. It's the easiest job in the world. Of course Towson is 10 minutes north of a major city in Baltimore. So finding a job and several places wasn't tough.

I still think its a bad idea to pay the players.

lucchesicourt
January 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I agree, a college education and fees is more than enough for college athletes. A paid college education is money, though I am sure the athletes don't look at it that way. At some colleges it costs over $20,000/year. I'd say that's pretty good for a part time job with no taxes being taken out. Also,look at the earning power of a college graduate as compared to a high school graduate. Yeah, it definitely pays for itself in the long run, many times over.
Now, maybe if all students were given $50-$75/week by the universities to take their gals out to dinner-I think maybe ALL the students would go for that. Getting the universities to agree would be the problem.

lizrdgizrd
January 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Then you'll see the quality of the NFL drop as well. Not something the NFL is interested in. They've got the best product on the market and allowing kids straight out of HS or so would damage that product.

65 Pard
January 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
NO! and I will go a step farther and say that there should be no athletic scholarships for students who cannot meet admission standards that others have to meet...
The graduation rate of so called student-athletes at the big time programs is a joke....these kids are recruited for one reason only...to play ball. No one cares if they study..

andy7171
January 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM
NO! and I will go a step farther and say that there should be no athletic scholarships for students who cannot meet admission standards that others have to meet...
The graduation rate of so called student-athletes at the big time programs is a joke....these kids are recruited for one reason only...to play ball. No one cares if they study..
PPPPSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
All you Ivy and Patriot League guys are all the same!
:)

MplsBison
January 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Then you'll see the quality of the NFL drop as well. Not something the NFL is interested in. They've got the best product on the market and allowing kids straight out of HS or so would damage that product.

How do you know I want it lowered to allow kids straight from HS?

Also, you're assuming that just because younger kids apply for the draft that they'd be drafted. Not so.

putter
January 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I agree with everyone who said they already get paid with a scholarship. If you don't believe that, I will show you all the cancelled checks I had to write to pay my student loans. If they want money, get a job. I had to work my a$$ off if I wanted extra cash so why can't they do the same in the summer and the off season.

BYW, my cousin, why used to coach at a BCS school said most athletes are bought and paid for anyway. :twocents:

BigApp
January 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM
No. And this is yet another issue that comes up every single off-season. If anyone thinks these kids are poor, then explain how they are paying for all these tattoo's? They ain't cheap.

PapaBear
January 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
No.

There has to be a line somewhere, and this is where I'd draw it.

As the parent of a scholarship athlete, I'm grateful beyond words for the perks my son already gets -- and that's from a modestly funded program. I don't mind "supplementing" him with $50 or $100, occasionally, to take his girlfriend out or gas up his car.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't feel any differently if he were at a Top 10 FBS program that rakes in millions for a university, either. Those kids DO get significant travel stipends and such -- to say nothing of the gifts and additional stipends they receive if they make it to a bowl. It's all perfectly legal.

There's nothing wrong with making scholarship athletes "endure" some of the traditional hardships of college life. It teaches them financial discipline and self-control.

mcveyrl
January 18th, 2007, 11:51 AM
BYW, my cousin, why used to coach at a BCS school said most athletes are bought and paid for anyway. :twocents:

That's not just BCS schools either. It happens in the mid-major/FCS level, too.

If you pay football players, you gotta pay everybody else. As mentioned earlier, there are a whole mess of problems that would come out of paying players. Gender equity, equal protection, etc...

Most have mentioned the main perks, but these athletes also get insurance, tutoring, and other "small" perks that add up over time.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I'd be in favor of giving them something similar to the work study pay a regular student receives. $1500-$2000 per year would allow them to order pizza, buy clothes, etc.

Grizzaholic
January 18th, 2007, 12:26 PM
They do get paid, in the form of a fully funded college education and everything that gets them in the future.

:thumbsup:

aggie6thman
January 18th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Now, maybe if all students were given $50-$75/week by the universities to take their gals out to dinner-I think maybe ALL the students would go for that. Getting the universities to agree would be the problem.

Or, they could use the money that they don't have to spend on tuition, books, meals and rent to swipe their gals into the DC! :rotateh: :rotateh: xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod:

DFW HOYA
January 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Easy to say, but every school is different. Maybe in a different world the only athletic scholarships would be reserved for the prospects with the best grades, but that's not realistic.

The academic mission at Lafayete versus a Missouri State versus a Prairie View differs considerably, and so do the graduation rates. Is a school which might graduate a third of its football players but less than a quarter in students doing its job, or not?

lizrdgizrd
January 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Easy to say, but every school is different. Maybe in a different world the only athletic scholarships would be reserved for the prospects with the best grades, but that's not realistic.

The academic mission at Lafayete versus a Missouri State versus a Prairie View differs considerably, and so do the graduation rates. Is a school which might graduate a third of its football players but less than a quarter in students doing its job, or not?
Any school that graduates less than 25% of its students is not doing its job. Unless its job is to fail students.

LehighFan11
January 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I think athletes already do get paid and shouldnt be paid 100 or week or some payment like that. If the NCAA allows schools to pay athletes $100, they are just asking for trouble. Schools like Ohio St who already do pay athletes in the form of boosters will now be allowed to pay more. Top BCS schools will use this as a recuriting tool saying I can pay you more. Not good idea.

AggiePride
January 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Though i could easily argue that many student athletes really do need the money....

I won't, just say no, it's just too big of a can of worms. We will just have to ignore these issues in order to keep the integrity of college ball.

Even a a small amount would cause some programs to be seperated from others by their ability to fund all players, how much, if at all.

That article totally ignores the real issue, and does not focus on anything but the very top sports and teams.

MarkCCU
January 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
You mean they don't already?!

CSU BUCS
January 18th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yes I think they should be paid a Stipend, Just like a graduate assistant coach is. Tuition, room and board, and say a 5k-10k stipend.

jstate83
January 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I agree with everyone who said they already get paid with a scholarship. If you don't believe that, I will show you all the cancelled checks I had to write to pay my student loans. If they want money, get a job. I had to work my a$$ off if I wanted extra cash so why can't they do the same in the summer and the off season.

I write checks to pay student loans also.

But tell me.........................HOW MANY MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS were you and I responsiable for bringing into a University.:eyebrow:

Unlike them, ain't nobody buying Jackson State Jersey's with MY NAME on the back of them and not 1 season ticket was bought to watch ME sit in the stands eating popcorn. xlolx

Pay them. :nod:

lucchesicourt
January 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM
You do have the option of NOT playing football, passing on accepting a scholarship, and paying your own way should you choose. If you CHOOSE to accept a scholarship to play football, you are paid in the form of THE scholarship that few others receive. By accpeting the schollie you are agreeing to bring in money through the football program. If that bothers you do NOT play sports while attending school. If you accept the schollie, you have agreed to a contract.

PapaBear
January 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
You do have the option of NOT playing football, passing on accepting a scholarship, and paying your own way should you choose. If you CHOOSE to accept a scholarship to play football, you are paid in the form of THE scholarship that few others receive. By accpeting the schollie you are agreeing to bring in money through the football program. If that bothers you do NOT play sports while attending school. If you accept the schollie, you have agreed to a contract.

Very well put. People seem to forget that it's the athlete who has the choice.

ngineer
January 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM

I agree with the premise that due to the 'year round demands' that some kind of stipend would be appropriate. "In my day" we worked summer jobs. However, the problem is that such a system is fraught with fraud potential and abuse. Additionally, they are getting paid with scholarships (or grants or whatever else they are called). Getting a free education while other students/parents are paying $12,000 -$40,000 a year is not chickenfeed.

mcveyrl
January 18th, 2007, 08:50 PM

But tell me.........................HOW MANY MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS were you and I responsiable for bringing into a University.:eyebrow:

Unlike them, ain't nobody buying Jackson State Jersey's with MY NAME on the back of them and not 1 season ticket was bought to watch ME sit in the stands eating popcorn. xlolx

So who do you pay?? Only football and men's basketball. What if you're Villanova?? Only pay the men's basketball team?

ngineer
January 18th, 2007, 08:50 PM
There is also an interesting legal issue that gets raised with injured athletes...do they then qualify for workers compensation benefits since they'd be treated as employees...?

mcveyrl
January 18th, 2007, 08:51 PM
There is also an interesting legal issue that gets raised with injured athletes...do they then qualify for workers compensation benefits since they'd be treated as employees...?

I also thought about this. It seems to me that they would be treated like other student employees, so yes. Although it's my understanding that most athletes are covered under university insurance policies anyway.

justsaying
January 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM
For many athletes, playing a sport is the only way they can afford to go to school. While they go to classes during the day, they train for their sport in the afternoon, then study at night. Even in the off season, nothing really changes. Many are still struggling college students not tuition wise, but overall family income wise, which could be put towards clothing, automotive, and other expenses that a typical college student may run into. I somewhat agree, free college tuition should be good enough, but what about those who have expenses that their family can’t afford. A college coach can’t pay for his athlete to go to a dentist, or pay for gas, groceries, or a plane ride home.
I would say, when in season, a student athlete should get an allowance of about 25 dollars a week. 25x11 weeks x65 scholarship players. =17,875 total towards athletic allowances.
With six figure and 7 figure budgets teams have each year, provided by fundraising, boosters, sales of merchandise, and game ticket sales. 18,000 should not hurt.

These kids are there to get an education then to play football. But they can’t help to notice after a hard day of physical torment, seeing their head coaches driving home in their luxury cars and going to their nice houses, while they go back to their dorms. Last time I checked, no one comes to a game to see coaching, they want to see the athlete out on the field.

ngineer
January 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I also thought about this. It seems to me that they would be treated like other student employees, so yes. Although it's my understanding that most athletes are covered under university insurance policies anyway.

So by doing so will result in substantial costs to the University in terms of WC insurance premiums, or potentially issues of companies not writing coverage, then it becomes a state issue....

GreatAppSt
January 18th, 2007, 10:02 PM
YE$$:nod:

HIU 93
January 19th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Yes. $50 a week is reasonable.

jstate83
January 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM
For many athletes, playing a sport is the only way they can afford to go to school. While they go to classes during the day, they train for their sport in the afternoon, then study at night. Even in the off season, nothing really changes. Many are still struggling college students not tuition wise, but overall family income wise, which could be put towards clothing, automotive, and other expenses that a typical college student may run into. I somewhat agree, free college tuition should be good enough, but what about those who have expenses that their family can’t afford. A college coach can’t pay for his athlete to go to a dentist, or pay for gas, groceries, or a plane ride home.
I would say, when in season, a student athlete should get an allowance of about 25 dollars a week. 25x11 weeks x65 scholarship players. =17,875 total towards athletic allowances.
With six figure and 7 figure budgets teams have each year, provided by fundraising, boosters, sales of merchandise, and game ticket sales. 18,000 should not hurt.

These kids are there to get an education then to play football. But they can’t help to notice after a hard day of physical torment, seeing their head coaches driving home in their luxury cars and going to their nice houses, while they go back to their dorms. Last time I checked, no one comes to a game to see coaching, they want to see the athlete out on the field.

People overlook that by saying Atheletes are "given" everything.

Man.................A lot of these guy's are broker than most of the student body and school, practice, prevent's most of them from getting jobs.

That's why you see a lot of them getting into trouble working these "ghost jobs" at some school supporter's business.: smh :

DUPFLFan
January 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I would be happy if my kid could get a scholarship for playing football. Right now in the PFL it's Love of the game...

andy7171
January 19th, 2007, 08:31 AM
People overlook that by saying Atheletes are "given" everything.

Man.................A lot of these guy's are broker than most of the student body and school, practice, prevent's most of them from getting jobs.

That's why you see a lot of them getting into trouble working these "ghost jobs" at some school supporter's business.: smh :
There are jobs out there to get. You're out of practice by 6pm easy.

jstate83
January 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Ah..................Summer/Fall heat down here.
Jackson State practices under the lights.

6pm is "just getting Started" time here after they leave the dining hall which closes at 6pm.

MarkCCU
January 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
NO. these are students who most of them have scholarships. If they get payed to play basketball or something are intramural atheletes going to get paid?

bandl
January 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
NO. these are students who most of them have scholarships

They are not paid to play....their tuition and room/board are paid for them. It's not as if the university is cutting them a check and saying "Do with it as you wish!"

And most student athletes are not on scholarship anyways.

andy7171
January 19th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Ah..................Summer/Fall heat down here.
Jackson State practices under the lights.
6pm is "just getting Started" time here after they leave the dining hall which closes at 6pm.
Interesting. I didn't know that. We had meetings at 1:30pm, practice at 3:30pm. Leaving the facilites by 6pm.
Late practices would suck.
And eliminate night classes.

They are not paid to play....their tuition and room/board are paid for them. It's not as if the university is cutting them a check and saying "Do with it as you wish!"
And most student athletes are not on scholarship anyways.
AH! If you live off campus, you get a reimbursement check for room and board. The hard part is spreading out the money for the sememster. Me and my friends would live like kings for the first 2 months and eat nothing but tuna mac the other months.

bandl
January 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
AH! If you live off campus, you get a reimbursement check for room and board. The hard part is spreading out the money for the sememster. Me and my friends would live like kings for the first 2 months and eat nothing but tuna mac the other months.

I could be wrong...but I thought that all scholarship student athletes had to live on campus now?? I thought that was a new rule/law passed in the last few years or so?? :confused:

mcveyrl
January 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM
So by doing so will result in substantial costs to the University in terms of WC insurance premiums, or potentially issues of companies not writing coverage, then it becomes a state issue....

But then you could also argue that your health ins. premiums should go down since the WC will be the primary coverage on the athletes.

This, by the way, is hurting my brain and another reason why paying them is a bad idea.

andy7171
January 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I could be wrong...but I thought that all scholarship student athletes had to live on campus now?? I thought that was a new rule/law passed in the last few years or so?? :confused:
I've been to Towson football parties in off campus apartments as recently as 2004. Maybe you're right. It makes good sense.

Looking back, I should have stayed on campus, if nothing but for the dining hall. But if you really wanted a real meal, you just had to get a freshman to buy your in as a guest.

Bobcat in NC
January 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure about DI, or if there is any sport-specific requirement, but this is defintely not the case for the NCAA as a whole. My little sis & little bro are DII scholarship athletes and both have the choice as to whether or not they want to live on campus.

ngineer
January 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM

...and you're tired, body hurts, have to eat dinner and,.....oh, yes...STUDY! Hopefully at most schools........:rolleyes:

NDSUFREAK
January 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I say they dont get paid because if they were to be paid, then that would take away of the tradition of college athletics. It would almost seen like the minor leagues for the NFL.:twocents:

FurmanPaladins4138
January 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
No. That's ridiculous. They don't pay the university's marching band...or the orchestra...or the chem majors that work their asses off...forget it. Scholarships only.

justsaying
January 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
No. That's ridiculous. They don't pay the university's marching band...or the orchestra...or the chem majors that work their asses off...forget it. Scholarships only.

They don't make the university any money either.

Seven Would Be Nice
January 20th, 2007, 01:32 AM
NO. Absolutely not.

That is what I LOVE about college football... ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!!
There are no people like TO rambling their mouth about how good they are and how much they should be paid yadda yadda yadda... its about winning and pride and glory.. its about blood, sweat, decade old traditions, old ****ty yellow school buses, tailgating, cheap beer, crazy alumni, beating the other team because you had the heart to win and not to make a franchise/college look better. and most of all its not about the paycheck at the end of the week.

chrisattsu
January 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
My thought is we are already "paying" them by giving them a scholarship to go to school.

Remember people are supposed to go to college to obtain an education so they can gain that high paying job after they graduate. The way I see it, playing for the school team is just one way for them to offset the costs of higher education. In past students worked in cafeterias and mopped floors as a way to reduce their tuition costs. Graduate students procter and grade examinations, serve as research assistants / lesserlings for professors all so they can pay for school.

chrisattsu
January 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
They don't make the university any money either.

But they do and can. A highly touted music program will recruit better (and a larger quantity of) musicians. Is the marching band / orchestra going to make the large pot of money that athletics teams do? No, but they provide a much needed service to the university, and if they have a successful music program they will attract greater faculty/staff.

Do Chem majors make the university money? On the whole the average student may not contribute to the university. But the research assistants do help the university make money, regardless of the field whether it is chem, physics, nano-tech, History, or Geography.
Speaking particularly to the physics field, one of my roomates as an undergrad worked for the a researcher in the physics department to obtain a particle accelerator. Once they got it, he became the lead research assistant helping the professor do research and make the university money.
In Liberal Arts fields there is going to be less money to be made, and the research is going to be in book form. But these students (through their grading, teaching, and research assistance) enable researchers to work harder to study a particular field. Or to obtain state and federal grants which brings prestige and more money to the university.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Only one problem with that line of thinking. Some programs are more profitable than others. You will either be paying them a paltry sum that doesn't even compare to the money that they might be brining in to the school, or you would be creating strains on certain booster organizations to be able to pay them if the pay was more significant.

That, or you could let each institution decide how much to pay the athlets, but that would just corrupt the entire system and ensure that the bigger more established programs will not have any competition.

Besides, they will be "paid" in that they will not have to take cash out of their paychecks towards paying off student debts. A penny saved IS a penny earned.

parr90
January 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Only if its a few bucks a month for pocket money. Other than that they are already getting paid by the scholarship they were given. Where would many of these guys be if they didnt recieve a scholarship.