PDA

View Full Version : The Fricken MVFC!

dudeitsaid
December 3rd, 2016, 09:51 PM
Hard to argue they are the strongest conference in the FCS.

3 of 4 teams advance to the elite 8. One will be knocked out by virtue of playing a conference mate.

CAA - 2 of 4 teams advance. (one team knocked out by conference mate)

Southland - 1 of 2 teams advance

SoCon - 1 of 4 teams advance (one team knocked out by conference mate)

BSC - 1 of 4 teams advance (all losses to Non-con opponents, including a non-scholly! xsmhx)

I'm always hoping to knock the MVFC down a peg. But you guys aren't giving me that opportunity. In all seriousness, that's pretty impressive.

The Pud
December 3rd, 2016, 09:52 PM
SLC is a tough conference apparently.

dudeitsaid
December 3rd, 2016, 09:57 PM
SLC is a tough conference apparently.

Don't know if I would use the word "conference" as that assumes that most teams are solid in the Southland. I've seen several fans of Southland teams say otherwise. Do they have some tough teams? Yes. SHSU is proving so in particular. And I did think UCA was better than the score indicated, especially on defense. There are some teams that make some noise here and there. But tough conference...don't know that I would go that far.

But, I'd say the Big Sky isn't proving too tough these days either. Maybe some decent teams at the top, but overall...not a very impressive showing at the end.

The Pud
December 3rd, 2016, 09:58 PM
Don't know if I would use the word "conference" as that assumes that most teams are solid in the Southland. I've seen several fans of Southland teams say otherwise. Do they have some tough teams? Yes. SHSU is proving so in particular. And I did think UCA was better than the score indicated, especially on defense. There are some teams that make some noise here and there. But tough conference...don't know that I would go that far.

But, I'd say the Big Sky isn't proving too tough these days either. Maybe some decent teams at the top, but overall...not a very impressive showing at the end.

fair point.

Sam_Kats
December 3rd, 2016, 10:05 PM
Southland is one team (McNeese or SFA) away from being a strong conference. Top teams are pretty darn good.

Moot point now though.

YoUDeeMan
December 3rd, 2016, 10:06 PM

3 of 4 teams advance to the elite 8. One will be knocked out by virtue of playing a conference mate.

BSC - 1 of 4 teams advance (all losses to Non-con opponents, including a non-scholly! xsmhx)

I'm always hoping to knock the MVFC down a peg. But you guys aren't giving me that opportunity. In all seriousness, that's pretty impressive.

Yeah, but SDSU wasn't the best team on that field...nova was. SDSU won because they were seeded and at home.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2016, 10:09 PM
Yeah, but SDSU wasn't the best team on that field...nova was. SDSU won because they were seeded and at home.

Oh did that win not count then? Is it SDSU or Nova going to Fargo next weekend, help me out my memory is fuzzy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR

All true and a good look at a bare-bones analysis.

Although it can't be empirically proven, I would posit that the Seedings to a greater extent and the Bracketing to a lesser, played a significant role in these outcomes.

That said, I think we CAN empirically conclude that the BSC has significantly under-performed relative to the 4 other Conferences cited. With 2 Seeded Teams and 3 home games (out of 4), of which one (as you mentioned) was against a non-scholarship Team from a conference that had NEVER won a playoff game AND a Team that the BSC Team had beaten by 3 scores earlier in the season.

The SoCon, on the other hand, had 2 Teams knocked out in Road games, 1 of those against a seeded and undefeated conference champion. And, (as you mentioned), the 3rd knocked out by a SoCon 'mate.'

Go Lehigh TU owl
CAA has been impressive too. Villanova played a helluva game in Brookings. They physically took it to the Rabbits. JMU is a legit threat. Richmond was a bit of an enigma towards the end of the year. They're dangerous...

Christiank22
December 3rd, 2016, 10:12 PM
Lol.

Bison56
December 3rd, 2016, 10:15 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24012&stc=1

The Pud
December 3rd, 2016, 10:17 PM

+2

Jacked_Rabbit
December 3rd, 2016, 10:35 PM
+2

Bison56
December 3rd, 2016, 10:36 PM
+2
Nice IQ

The Pud
December 3rd, 2016, 10:41 PM
Nice IQ

Thank you. Sorry you scored only .5

mmiller_34
December 3rd, 2016, 10:50 PM

Apparently nothing SDSU does on D matters. Even when they only allow 7 points.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2016, 10:57 PM
3 out of 8 left is pretty damn good.xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2016, 11:03 PM
CAA has been impressive too. Villanova played a helluva game in Brookings. They physically took it to the Rabbits. JMU is a legit threat. Richmond was a bit of an enigma towards the end of the year. They're dangerous...

......SPIDERS...WHIFF INJURIES....OUT DUH WAZOO......ROOKIE QB.....IN UH FAR AWAY LAND........BACK TA DUH WEIGHT ROOM.......HAWKS.........BRAWK!

Bison56
December 3rd, 2016, 11:22 PM
Thank you. Sorry you scored only .5
That's cute

BisonTru
December 3rd, 2016, 11:31 PM
Apparently nothing SDSU does on D matters. Even when they only allow 7 points.

I wouldn't worry about Clucky. He's just a parody account to make Chattown look football intelligent.

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2016, 11:32 PM
No arguements really, glad that nova and SDSU had a close game showing comparison between the CAA and MVFC. Nova could have won but had 2-3 drive killing penalties in SDSU territory in the second half. Very excited to see the games next week. Really wish Richmond was healthy though :(

Scooter
December 4th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Big Sky was exposed in this tourney. EWU could still win it.
I am impressed with the CAA. (Except New Hampshire)
NDSU has some good competition to go through to get another title... Should be fun.

Bearkat04
December 4th, 2016, 12:35 AM
The problem with the Southland isn't the top of the conference. Although another consistent playoff team or two wouldn't hurt. (Outside of mcneese) What hurts the SLC is the bottom half of the conference. The crappy schools we let into the conference the last few years have watered down the league.

UNHWildcat18
December 4th, 2016, 12:56 AM
NDSU has some good competition to go through to get another title... Should be fun.

We were really young this time around, hopefully we have a better go next year. Still fun kicking Lehigh's ass!

superman7515
December 4th, 2016, 01:06 AM
......SPIDERS...WHIFF INJURIES....OUT DUH WAZOO......ROOKIE QB.....IN UH FAR AWAY LAND........BACK TA DUH WEIGHT ROOM.......HAWKS.........BRAWK!

Nice to see what our coach can do with subpar quarterback play, really looking forward to him starting to turn it around next year.

Red & Black
December 4th, 2016, 01:17 AM
No arguements really, glad that nova and SDSU had a close game showing comparison between the CAA and MVFC. Nova could have won but had 2-3 drive killing penalties in SDSU territory in the second half. Very excited to see the games next week. Really wish Richmond was healthy though :(

EWU isn't exactly healthy.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2016, 05:40 AM

But they didn't get it done on the field with the score.

Lehigh'98
December 4th, 2016, 06:03 AM
We were really young this time around, hopefully we have a better go next year. Still fun kicking Lehigh's ass!

Dammit

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2016, 09:02 AM

On that given day, yes I agree. But Talley even said for his halftime interview about going for it that SDSU is better than us and we needed to do it.

SeattleGriz
December 4th, 2016, 09:48 AM
The only thing the Big Sky has-been exposed as, is they don't have a full slate of continuously good teams. Just not enough stability throughout the conference.

Past history has shown that EWU and UM are the only two teams that win with any consistency. The other teams just can't seem to put in any long term runs to get over the hump.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Yeah, Yeah....you saw what QB issues can do to a team. Neither Lehigh or UNH are as bad as they showed in their losses. It's a shame to end the season in that manner imo...

We'll both be back next year! I don't foresee Lehigh getting run like that the next time they visit the postseason. Likewise with UNH....

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Nice to see what our coach can do with subpar quarterback play, really looking forward to him starting to turn it around next year.

.......YEA-UH...SUPEZILLAH...DUH ROCK.....LOST LAULETTA..xbawlingx...SECOND STRINGER.....WEARIN' UH DUNCE CAP/HAND-CUFFS...xdontknowx.....NOT TA MENTION 6 D STARTERS.......HE PULLS OUTTAH DUH HAT...UH KID WHOM BURNS HIS REDSHIRT....AN' GUIDES DUH ARACHNIDS....... TUH COME FROM BEHIND W...OVERAH......FIGHTIN' HAWKS...xbowx....CAIN'T WAIT......FO' HIS HENS MAKE-OVER.....&....WHIFF.......FREED UP DONATION DUCATS....MO'.....DOGFISH HEAD.....NEW-ARK......BACK IN HIGH-COTTON.....xsmileyclapx.....BRAWK!

RoyHobbs101
December 4th, 2016, 01:10 PM
CAA cannibalized itself yesterday with JMU over NH. Richmond is going to go to Cheney next week feeling confident and like they may be destined for something special. Weather may come in to play as well. Should be a fun weekend.

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2016, 01:11 PM
CAA cannibalized itself yesterday with JMU over NH. Richmond is going to go to Cheney next week feeling confident and like they may be destined for something special. Weather may come in to play as well. Should be a fun weekend.
How fun would an all CAA-MVFC semi finals be?

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk

The Pud
December 4th, 2016, 01:18 PM

Or a Big Sky vs Southland finals.

:D

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Whats really fun is we could end up with the CAA and MVFC both having two teams in the semi finals even with both conferences knocking out one of their own.

RoyHobbs101
December 4th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Whats really fun is we could end up with the CAA and MVFC both having two teams in the semi finals even with both conferences knocking out one of their own.
I think I could be ok with that.

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2016, 01:31 PM

JMU @ NDSU

and

UR vs YSU

I could get behind that.

The Pud
December 4th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Or

SDSU at Sammy

and

EWU vs. Wofford

Rollbird5
December 4th, 2016, 01:37 PM
SDSU won because they were seeded and at home.

I thought they won because they scored more points than the other team, call me crazy tho

MacThor
December 4th, 2016, 01:45 PM
CAA 5-2, 4-1 OOC.
MVFC 4-1, 4-1.

9 of the 16 games so far won by teams from those two conferences.

SoCon 3-3, 2-2 OOC.
SLC 2-1, 2-1
PFL 1-1, 1-1
BSC 1-3, 1-3
NEC, PL, BSo, MEAC all 0-1.

RoyHobbs101
December 4th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Hard to argue that the CAA and MVFC aren't the cream of FCS.

The Pud
December 4th, 2016, 02:01 PM

I say yes to MVFC, but CAA not so much

UNHWildcat18
December 4th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I say yes to MVFC, but CAA not so much as a banged up richmond beats UND a big sky co champ and nova who took sdsu the mvfc co champ to the last min. go troll somewhere else.

UNHWildcat18
December 4th, 2016, 02:16 PM

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk if only we would schedule OOC vs you guys. too cheap though :(

The Pud
December 4th, 2016, 02:18 PM
as a banged up richmond beats UND a big sky co champ and nova who took sdsu the mvfc co champ to the last min. go troll somewhere else.

yawwwn

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2016, 02:33 PM
yawwwn

What a zinger! xrolleyesx

- - - Updated - - -

if only we would schedule OOC vs you guys. too cheap though :(
A SDSU/UNH match up would be awesome

ST_Lawson
December 4th, 2016, 02:40 PM
if only we would schedule OOC vs you guys. too cheap though :(

I'd love to do some H&H's with CAA teams. We've started doing it more with the Big Sky (something most of the conference is doing), but CAA would be nice too. We've got a ton of alumni out in the DC area and with 3-4 CAA teams in fairly short driving distance from around there, we could have a halfway decent crowd for an away game so far away.

Redbird007
December 4th, 2016, 02:46 PM
What a zinger! xrolleyesx

- - - Updated - - -

A SDSU/UNH match up would be awesome

It would be nice if there was a fall weekend of MVFC vs CAA football challenge. I enjoy pulling for not only ISU but also the conference teams. The underlying conference competition would make following other games that much more interesting. Certainly would help with the playoff seeding process. Someone get ahold of the schedulers and lets start in 2019.

EWU Grad 82
December 4th, 2016, 02:53 PM

Yes, Nova may have been the more talented team, but on the day they lost to SDSU they weren't the best team. If they were they would have prevailed. Saying that SDSU won only because they were at home is just an excuse.

Redbird007
December 4th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Yes, Nova may have been the more talented team, but on the day they lost to SDSU they weren't the best team. If they were they would have prevailed. Saying that SDSU won only because they were at home is just an excuse.

...or a coping mechanism xnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 4th, 2016, 03:05 PM
SDSU @JMU

and

UR vs YSU

I could get behind that.

Fixed it for ya ;-)

(Just greedy for another home game, not skeered of the dome)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 4th, 2016, 03:10 PM
One could argue the MVFC is a FG better than the CAA. This is where as SHSU fans know all too well that SOS can negatively impact your perceived strength. CAA had a weak OOC plus the URI and Elon dregs. Top half of the CAA can go toe to toe with MVFC. Glad we have playoffs to prove it.

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2016, 04:25 PM
CAA 5-2, 4-1 OOC.
MVFC 4-1, 4-1.

SoCon 3-3, 2-2 OOC.
SLC 2-1, 2-1
PFL 1-1, 1-1
BSC 1-3, 1-3

#SHGMUM

(Seeds, Home Games, Match Ups Matter)

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2016, 05:36 PM
#SHGMUM

(Seeds, Home Games, Match Ups Matter)

#W'sMatter

Houndawg
December 4th, 2016, 08:01 PM

A textbook example of East Coast Butthurt aggravated by tertiary sphincter-lock.xbawlingx

dudeitsaid
December 4th, 2016, 11:53 PM

I'm OK with those conferences being the cream of the FCS...as long as the lone team left from the BSC is still standing at the end. Thankfully, EWU has shown they can hang with anyone this season.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2016, 05:13 AM
#W'sMatter

Thanks for your service!

The Pud
December 5th, 2016, 06:27 AM
One could argue the MVFC is a FG better than the CAA. This is where as SHSU fans know all too well that SOS can negatively impact your perceived strength. CAA had a weak OOC plus the URI and Elon dregs. Top half of the CAA can go toe to toe with MVFC. Glad we have playoffs to prove it.

Yes, glad we do have a playoff system to prove it too. Best of luck on Friday.

Wilson16
December 5th, 2016, 06:28 AM
I thought they won because they scored more points than the other team, call me crazy tho

Toe to Toe = Moral Victory?

REALBird
December 5th, 2016, 06:30 AM
I smell a Villanova at NDSU thread coming.

Redbird 4th & short
December 5th, 2016, 07:48 AM
CAA 5-2, 4-1 OOC.
MVFC 4-1, 4-1.

SoCon 3-3, 2-2 OOC.
SLC 2-1, 2-1
PFL 1-1, 1-1
BSC 1-3, 1-3

MVFC went 4-1 (OOC) playing 3 home games (3-0) and 2 road games (1-1). Results are below and sorted by Massey Rank.

- YSU won on road against JSU (#8) by 16
- ISU lost on road against UCA (#9) by 7
- SDSU won at home against Villanova (#16) by 3
- NDSU won at home against SD (#20) by 38
- YSU won at home against Samford (#22) by 14

CAA went 4-1 (OOC) with 3 home games (3-0) and 2 road games (1-1):

- Villanova lost on road against SDSU (#5) by 3
- Richmond won on road against UND (#19) by 3
- UNH won at home against Lehigh (#28) by 43
- Villanova won at home against SFPA (#57) by 11
- Richmond won at home against NCAT (#65) by 29

According to Massey, CAA got a far easier set of draws than MVFC.

- MVFC average win was by 16 against teams ranked 8, 16, 20, and 22. Only loss by 7 on road to #9
- CAA average win was by 21 against teams ranked, 19, 28, 57, and 65. Only loss by 3 on road to #5.

Next round of games for each:

MVFC slate - ranking again per Massey

- NDSU (#1) plays at home against SDSU (#5)
- SDSU (#5) plays on road against NDSU (#1)
- YSU (#3) plays at home against Wofford (#7)

CAA slate - plays

- Richmond (#17) plays on road against EWU (#2)
- JMU (#6) plays at home against SHSU (#4)

Other interesting stat line .. Massey has 7 of their top 8 ranked teams in the final 8. JSU was #8 and beaten in quarters by YSU by 16. UCA was #9, who ISU (6-5 at large bid) lost to by 7 on road. I'd say Massey got it right.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2016, 11:58 AM

I saw a lot of this game, I kept waiting for the S Dak State Air show to show up, ...... might of well been waiting for Santa......

Evolution Prime
December 5th, 2016, 12:00 PM
I saw a lot of this game, I kept waiting for the S Dak State Air show to show up, ...... might of well been waiting for Santa......

Hopefully just saving it for this week.

Theee Catrabbit
December 5th, 2016, 12:03 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24012&stc=1

Won't let me give you rep. never seen that meme before, glad I wasn't drinking coffee at the time

Theee Catrabbit
December 5th, 2016, 12:11 PM

No excuses.....but here's a few xlolxI don't think the frickin team practices outdoors. TC gets a little wind(see Illinois State game) and all of a sudden he's throwing balls at feet or overthrowing wide open Goedert(and that takes some doing, even if TC is throwing to someone else the Beast of Britton goes and gets it) by a mile. I believe the Fargodome will open all of it's doors and turn the ventilation on high.

MR. CHICKEN
December 5th, 2016, 12:57 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24023&stc=1.......WOOD JES' LIKE TA HEAR....ONE SOUFF DAKOTAH STATE......RABBIT.....SAY......"YEAH WE GOT AWAY WHIFF ONE"........BRAWK!

Theee Catrabbit
December 5th, 2016, 01:03 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24023&stc=1.......WOOD JES' LIKE TA HEAR....ONE SOUFF DAKOTAH STATE......RABBIT.....SAY......"YEAH WE GOT AWAY WHIFF ONE"........BRAWK!

We did get away with poor play calling and coaching absolutely and Villanova turned that into 7 points at the end of the half, we absolutely tried to give that game away

JayMYou
December 5th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Hopefully just saving it for this week.

How much of that was weather and how much was Nova's defense? They didn't even have the DL stud in for much of the game. Think the perfect conditions of the dome with make a big difference?

Evolution Prime
December 5th, 2016, 01:41 PM
How much of that was weather and how much was Nova's defense? They didn't even have the DL stud in for much of the game. Think the perfect conditions of the dome with make a big difference?

I think a big part of it was their defense with a bit of weather an poor play calling thrown in there. The poor play calling was probably due to their defense. I don't think we saw a 3-3-5 defense all year. I was waiting for us to go deep and it really never happened. TC slipping for huge losses or not throwing it away and taking a sack didn't help much. Lots of dropped ball on swing passes. I will say we got away with one with their big dropped pass, dropped INT, and penalty. Our defense kept us in that one. Hopefully both offense, defense, and special teams show up this week as we will need them all to pull this one off.

ysubigred
December 5th, 2016, 01:55 PM
I think a big part of it was their defense with a bit of weather an poor play calling thrown in there. The poor play calling was probably due to their defense. I don't think we saw a 3-3-5 defense all year. I was waiting for us to go deep and it really never happened. TC slipping for huge losses or not throwing it away and taking a sack didn't help much. Lots of dropped ball on swing passes. I will say we got away with one with their big dropped pass, dropped INT, and penalty. Our defense kept us in that one. Hopefully both offense, defense, and special teams show up this week as we will need them all to pull this one off.

I think NDSU used a 3-3-5 in their loss to you all xeyebrowx

REALBird
December 5th, 2016, 01:55 PM
How much of it was just the better team won? I mean we can all point to a hand full of plays that if they go one way or another they could have shifted the tide for the other team.
I mean losing 10-7 on the road, in cold weather on a kick that ricochets off the big yellow tuning fork is nothing to sneeze about.

I mean to hold SDSU to 10 at home, without their DL stud says the next man up did his job. There's no crying in football.

Thumper 76
December 5th, 2016, 02:19 PM

I thought I had, but I'll say it again. We got away with one with how our offense played and was kept in check. However our defense answered the bell in a big way too, that's part of the game.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 5th, 2016, 03:25 PM

When was the last time a Big Sky Conference team other than Montana or EWU reached the semifinals even???

dudeitsaid
December 5th, 2016, 03:57 PM
When was the last time a Big Sky Conference team other than Montana or EWU reached the semifinals even???

Man...that's just depressing.

The last BSC teams to make the semis aren't even part of the conference anymore. The last time two teams from the BSC made it to the semis in the same year was 1990, and neither team is part of the Big Sky anymore (Boise St played Nevada, Nevada won and lost in the NC to Georgia Southern).

The last time a current BSC member made the semis other than the Grizzlies or Eagles was 1984. Montana State won the National Championship that year.

The Grizzlies made it to the Semis ten times since 1994, and the Eagles made it four times.

Not much to crow about, for sure.

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2016, 04:01 PM

The last BSC teams to make the semis aren't even part of the conference anymore. The last time two teams from the BSC made it to the semis in the same year was 1990, and neither team is part of the Big Sky anymore (Boise St played Nevada, Nevada won and lost in the NC to Georgia Southern).

The last time a current BSC member made the semis other than the Grizzlies or Eagles was 1984. Montana State won the National Championship that year.

The Grizzlies made it to the Semis ten times since 1994, and the Eagles made it four times.

The Ole Big Fluffy

RowdyRabbit
December 5th, 2016, 04:12 PM

Absolutely got away with one.

I don't remember the time left, but it was on our last drive, a few plays before we kicked the FG, Villanova dropped an easy pick, that could've potentially gone for 6.

Felt very fortunate walking out of DJD Stadium, I did.

mango433
December 5th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Absolutely got away with one.

I don't remember the time left, but it was on our last drive, a few plays before we kicked the FG, Villanova dropped an easy pick, that could've potentially gone for 6.

Felt very fortunate walking out of DJD Stadium, I did.

That was right before Goedert's big reception

RowdyRabbit
December 5th, 2016, 04:42 PM
That was right before Goedert's big reception

Well, that's what I thought, but going back and looking at replay on espn, it was a couple drives earlier...with 9:42 left to play...right after the other oops Villanova made....the illegal substitution penalty Villanova got on the FG attempt that put them out of FG position with 10:53 left in the game. And it would've been a pick 6, looking at the replay.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 5th, 2016, 04:43 PM

God thats sad....it also shows just how much Foolerton damaged the conference by trying to catter to the pathetic programs instead of appeasing the power schools like Montana, EWU and Montana State

How do you think the MVFC would respond if their commisioner said...you know what NDSU and SDSU...were gonna really just focus on making our conference better for Missouri State and Indiana State

Thumper 76
December 5th, 2016, 05:42 PM
God thats sad....it also shows just how much Foolerton damaged the conference by trying to catter to the pathetic programs instead of appeasing the power schools like Montana, EWU and Montana State

How do you think the MVFC would respond if their commisioner said...you know what NDSU and SDSU...were gonna really just focus on making our conference better for Missouri State and Indiana State
Even more fun is the fact that SDSU and NDSU got turned down by the Big Sky. Oops.

dudeitsaid
December 5th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Even more fun is the fact that SDSU and NDSU got turned down by the Big Sky. Oops.

Yeah, NDSU was a big miss. SDSU would just be another team from the BSC that never made it to the semis...

Thumper 76
December 5th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Yeah, NDSU was a big miss. SDSU would just be another team from the BSC that never made it to the semis...
Yeah, SDSU is totally a middle of the road program. Barely above average tbh. Like 90% of Big Sky teams have been a ranked team 59/66 weeks going back to 2012 and have made the playoffs the last 5 years straight......

dudeitsaid
December 5th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Yeah, SDSU is totally a middle of the road program. Barely above average tbh. Like 90% of Big Sky teams have been a ranked team 59/66 weeks going back to 2012 and have made the playoffs the last 5 years straight......

LOL! I had to, it was just too much to pass up! I know you guys have a great program, and have done a damn good job since moving to the FCS. There is a big part of me that would love to see the Bison get knocked off...and then you guys would have your semifinal appearance AND finally make it through the Fargodome playoff gauntlet. I hope EWU can make it to the chipper, and would be very intrigued to see the match up between the Eagles and Jackrabbits there.

Thumper 76
December 5th, 2016, 06:47 PM
LOL! I had to, it was just too much to pass up! I know you guys have a great program, and have done a damn good job since moving to the FCS. There is a big part of me that would love to see the Bison get knocked off...and then you guys would have your semifinal appearance AND finally make it through the Fargodome playoff gauntlet. I hope EWU can make it to the chipper, and would be very intrigued to see the match up between the Eagles and Jackrabbits there.
Me too, sorry I'm a bit more growly than normal, its thundering turd week. Would love a EWU matchup. Not sure how much I like the Jacks matching up with the Eagles, but would be amazing.

TheKingpin28
December 5th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Me too, sorry I'm a bit more growly than normal, its time when I pretend to be a bunny but secretly love NDSU. Would love a EWU matchup. Not sure how much I like the Jacks matching up with the Eagles, but would be amazing.

Thumper 76
December 5th, 2016, 09:06 PM

Hey look, that's how you disappear you know.....

TheKingpin28
December 5th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Hey look, that's how you disappear you know.....

It wouldnt just let me edit your post.

MacThor
December 6th, 2016, 03:51 AM
MVFC went 4-1 (OOC) playing 3 home games (3-0) and 2 road games (1-1). Results are below and sorted by Massey Rank.

- YSU won on road against JSU (#8) by 16
- ISU lost on road against UCA (#9) by 7
- SDSU won at home against Villanova (#16) by 3
- NDSU won at home against SD (#20) by 38
- YSU won at home against Samford (#22) by 14

CAA went 4-1 (OOC) with 3 home games (3-0) and 2 road games (1-1):

- Villanova lost on road against SDSU (#5) by 3
- Richmond won on road against UND (#19) by 3
- UNH won at home against Lehigh (#28) by 43
- Villanova won at home against SFPA (#57) by 11
- Richmond won at home against NCAT (#65) by 29

According to Massey, CAA got a far easier set of draws than MVFC.

- MVFC average win was by 16 against teams ranked 8, 16, 20, and 22. Only loss by 7 on road to #9
- CAA average win was by 21 against teams ranked, 19, 28, 57, and 65. Only loss by 3 on road to #5.

Next round of games for each:

MVFC slate - ranking again per Massey

- NDSU (#1) plays at home against SDSU (#5)
- SDSU (#5) plays on road against NDSU (#1)
- YSU (#3) plays at home against Wofford (#7)

CAA slate - plays

- Richmond (#17) plays on road against EWU (#2)
- JMU (#6) plays at home against SHSU (#4)

Other interesting stat line .. Massey has 7 of their top 8 ranked teams in the final 8. JSU was #8 and beaten in quarters by YSU by 16. UCA was #9, who ISU (6-5 at large bid) lost to by 7 on road. I'd say Massey got it right.
You are using the updated Massey ratings after two rounds of playoffs. This understates the strength of the wins (for both conferences). It would be more indicative to show the Massey ratings at game time. NCAT and STFU dropped significantly after getting spanked by teams Massey deemed relatively weak.
I'm not arguing that the CAA didn't get the easier draw. UCA and Samford are certainly tougher.
I'm saying that the wins by UNH, YSU, SDSU, and UR are all more impressive.

Also, Massey might have SD a little high. I'm not sure if you threw them into a conference with Lehigh, Samford, StF, NCAT, and UNH any of us would pick the Toreros to win. But Massey would.

Finally, I don't think it's fair to say Massey "got it right" (past tense) because it has 7 of the final 8 after the fact. I'm pretty sure Massey had straight chalk going into the weekend (it may have had YSU, don't recall). If that's the case Massey got 5 out of 8 right.

Theee Catrabbit
December 6th, 2016, 08:22 AM

If there is one thing I have never been so happy about in my life is the day we got accepted into the MVFC and it's been great ever since, not for UNI, YSU, MSU, SIU, ISU-b and on occasion ISU-r...but awesome for SDSU :)

oh and my kids and wife.....I'm happy about them too.....

Redbird 4th & short
December 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM
You are using the updated Massey ratings after two rounds of playoffs. This understates the strength of the wins (for both conferences). It would be more indicative to show the Massey ratings at game time. NCAT and STFU dropped significantly after getting spanked by teams Massey deemed relatively weak.
I'm not arguing that the CAA didn't get the easier draw. UCA and Samford are certainly tougher.
I'm saying that the wins by UNH, YSU, SDSU, and UR are all more impressive.

Also, Massey might have SD a little high. I'm not sure if you threw them into a conference with Lehigh, Samford, StF, NCAT, and UNH any of us would pick the Toreros to win. But Massey would.

Finally, I don't think it's fair to say Massey "got it right" (past tense) because it has 7 of the final 8 after the fact. I'm pretty sure Massey had straight chalk going into the weekend (it may have had YSU, don't recall). If that's the case Massey got 5 out of 8 right.
good point .. occurred to me afterwards.

So after regular season, Wofford was Massey #13 and Richmond was #24. Wofford bumped to #7 after beating CSU and Citadel in playoffs. Prior to playoffs, Wofford had just 1 quality win (Chattanooga) and 2 quality losses (Citadel and Samford). Richmond bumped to #17 after beating an over-rated 7th seed UND (Massey #15 after regular season) .. translated, not really an upset other than winning on road. Prior to playoffs, Richmond had just 2 quality wins (Vill and Albany on road) and 1 quality loss (JMU).

Massey and all other polls and ranking systems had both JSU and Citadel in top 8, and they both lost at home in round of 16 to YSU and Wofford respectively. So Massey got 6 of 8 as of regular season end .. which is just 1 better than FCP and selection committee. But they got YSU right, and YSU beat one of the other Top 8's .. so one of Massey Top 8s had to lose in round of 16. So Massey essentially got 6 of 7 right, only getting Wofford (#13) vs Citadel (#7) wrong, while selection committee got only 5 of 8 right.

NCAT was Massey #55 and SFPA was Massey #58 after regular season .. so they didn't fall much after their blowouts. But Massey also did much better job with many of the alleged bubble teams going into last week of regular season .. bubble teams that lost in week 12, or won in week 12, only to get trounced in playoffs against the 1st good playoff team they played.

So the pairings I cited above were manly intended to highlight how much tougher the MVFC playoff opponents were in going 4-1 OOC and still having 3 of 8 teams in playoffs. But also to highlight how Massey generally does a better job of predicting outcomes, because of how objectively they incorporate SOS into their rankings.

MacThor
December 6th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I am dizzy. :)

FBS UVa is not considered a quality win?

Was UND the only seed that wasn't in the Massey top 8 at the end of the season?

I know Massey predicted UND over UR and Citadel over Wofford, so that's at least 2 wrong. I don't see how if Massey predicted JSU would beat YSU you can say it "got it right."

If UR goes on to win the whole thing, and Massey ranks them #1 after Frisco, does that mean it "got it right" even though it had UR as the big underdog in 4 rounds?

Redbird 4th & short
December 7th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I am dizzy. :)

FBS UVa is not considered a quality win?

Was UND the only seed that wasn't in the Massey top 8 at the end of the season?

I know Massey predicted UND over UR and Citadel over Wofford, so that's at least 2 wrong. I don't see how if Massey predicted JSU would beat YSU you can say it "got it right."

If UR goes on to win the whole thing, and Massey ranks them #1 after Frisco, does that mean it "got it right" even though it had UR as the big underdog in 4 rounds?

Not going to respond to your "what if Richmond goes all the way" ranking question .. I already acknowledge point about judging Massey rankings as of regular season end,

I guess I would agree Virginia is a quality win, just not a quality FBS win .. they finished last in 14 team ACC with 2-10 overall record. And they didn't play the top 2 teams in their own conference: Clemson and FSU.

Point about UND is Massey rank rightly reflected weak SOS and very favorable home/away slate. Point is not that Massy gets every data point right .. of course it doesn, no system does nor should be expected to is judging the system. My more general point that in my view, Massey does far better job than the FCP and STATS polls. and a somewhat better job than the selection committee. I would go further and say the selection committee has improved the last couple years but still falls short.

I won't speak for all MVFC advocates .. but there is history and reason we have chip on our shoulder. We emerged as top conference in 2011, and didn't get the "love" from selection committee like CAA got 2010 & prior, until 2014. It was more blatant than most people are willing to admit from 2011-13. Even in 2014 and 2015, there were questionable pairings and seedings. Including this season .. if you or anyone can explain why UND go the 7 seed and SDSU got the 8, please do.

UND 9-2 resume per Massey: http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5538&s=286577 .. sort it by rank column .. their best win was 4-7 South Dakota at home by 3 in 2 OT ... 7th seed ????

SDSU 8-3 resume per Massey: http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7268&s=286577 .. SDSU has 4 quality wins better than UND .. what did that get them ? Another trip to #1 Fargo.

Note, Massey had CAA all over their top 20 in 2010 and prior. Tide turned in 2011 .. but polls and selection committee were very slow to give MVFC the credit it deserved. MVFC had to completely dominate OOC (22-1 against toughest SOS) in 2014 before we got the love CAA gets. Then we backed it up in playoffs despite many lower seeds forcing us to play many more road games .. we still went 7-1 in playoffs OOC, plus 3-3 in being paired with MVFC teams.

here is Massey composite archive: http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/arch/ .. most years you can pick week 12 to get rankings as of regulars season. Look at 2010 & prior .. then look at 2011-13 .. then if anyone can explain why Massey got it right in 2010 & prior, but suddenly got it wrong from 2011-13, i would love to hear that explanation. And by "got it right", I mean MVFC should have had more teams in playoffs and better seeds/pairings than any other conference but didn't .. we were left down there with Patriot and OVC as just another weak conference who was lucky to get 2nd or 3rd team.

As for Richmond ... they are making most of their opportunity, but fact remains you drew the worst at large bid by far (NC A&T) and the most over-rated Top 8 seed in UND. In that sense, Richmond has had easiest path to round of 8 of anyone.

semobison
December 10th, 2016, 11:07 PM
Bump! Two teams in the semifinals!

dudeitsaid
December 10th, 2016, 11:14 PM

Unfortunately, that's as far as the MVFC is going this year. xeekx

BisonTru
December 11th, 2016, 05:35 AM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/Q5uil9bjv8ity/200.gif#14

Gangtackle11
December 11th, 2016, 06:00 AM

You always have 1.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2016, 06:39 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24124&stc=1

Redbird007
December 18th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Of the teams from the 2 most recent championship games plus the teams from this year's 'ship game 4 of 6 teams have been from the MVFC. NDSU has only (seems odd now referencing NDSU accomplishments as "only") been 2 of the 4 MVFC teams. Some have argued that the MVFC is only NDSU. This fact shows that the MVFC is more than just NDSU.

Theee Catrabbit
December 18th, 2016, 03:07 PM

....so how'd it go?

cx500d
December 18th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Good insight, just not the one everybody was thinking...

You always have 1.

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2016, 03:09 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rollbird5 http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2428312#post2428312)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by JMU2K_DukeDawg http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2428368#post2428368)

Toe to Toe = Moral Victory?

No it means they win.....

mmiller_34
December 18th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Of the teams from the 2 most recent championship games plus the teams from this year's 'ship game 4 of 6 teams have been from the MVFC. NDSU has only (seems odd now referencing NDSU accomplishments as "only") been 2 of the 4 MVFC teams. Some have argued that the MVFC is only NDSU. This fact shows that the MVFC is more than just NDSU.

MVFC's 3rd place team has made it to the NC.

Gil Dobie
December 18th, 2016, 07:22 PM
6th year in a row that the MVFC has a team in the finals. Record is 9 years in a row by the Southern Conference, 1985-1994. They won 6 championships in that run.

Others
Ohio Valley 4 - 1979-1982
Big Sky 3 - 1994-96 & 2008-2010
CAA - 5 - 2006-2010
Southland - 2 - 1985-86, 2011-2012
MEAC 1 1978

Feel free to make corrections.

dewey
December 18th, 2016, 09:47 PM
MVFC's 3rd place team has made it to the NC.

Third place team but boy they look a LOT different now versus when they played SDSU and NDSU. Looked before like their offense was just learning how football worked and their QB situation was a gong show. Credit to Pelini as he said would fix the offense and he certainly did.

Dewey

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2016, 09:57 PM

The argument is that until the JMU upset the dominance of the MVFC was NDSU. The argument is/was the rest are no better than any other top FCS conference. The CAA has had several teams in the final four or championship game in the past decade. That was always the point. Some MVFC posters rode the backs of the Bison to tell the story it was the MVFC & no one else. Not true & especially not true in the case of the CAA.

CAA championship game participants:
2008: Richmond champ
2009: Villanova champ
2010: Delaware runner-up
2013: Towson runner-up
2016: JMU ?

UNH & Richmond played in the semis the past few years also.

dudeitsaid
December 18th, 2016, 10:46 PM
I think overall, top to bottom, the MVFC are still tops as a conference. But I do think that the top of several other conferences are competitive with the top of the MVFC. Obviously, JMU beat the Bison. And the YSU game came down to the wire, and there were several things that could've gone differently that could've resulted in an EWU win. It was an evenly matched game, IMO. I just hope that my Eagles will keep challenging the team with the toughest OOC games we can find. I think playing tough teams are part of what battle tests the Valley teams. Some are under the philosophy that we should play cupcakes OOC and pad our record. I just don't know that if we don't play these tough games, EWU or others can really be ready for the toughest battles.

Once again, congrats to the MVFC on their playoff performance, and YSU on taking us out. Nothing by respect from me.

semobison
December 18th, 2016, 11:06 PM
The argument is that until the JMU upset the dominance of the MVFC was NDSU. The argument is/was the rest are no better than any other top FCS conference. The CAA has had several teams in the final four or championship game in the past decade. That was always the point. Some MVFC posters rode the backs of the Bison to tell the story it was the MVFC & no one else. Not true & especially not true in the case of the CAA.

CAA championship game participants:
2008: Richmond champ
2009: Villanova champ
2010: Delaware runner-up
2013: Towson runner-up
2016: JMU ?

UNH & Richmond played in the semis the past few years also.

Youngstown is the 3rd Valley team to make the finals in the past 3 years and if they would not have put all the teams in the same bracket last year the number might have been 4. Enough said!

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Youngstown is the 3rd Valley team to make the finals in the past 3 years and if they would not have put all the teams in the same bracket last year the number might have been 4. Enough said!

Maybe or maybe they would have lost if Richmond wasn't on that side too. Bottom line very good conference, but can be beaten if not named NDSU from 2011-2015. Just like everyone else. Now enough said!!

UNHWildcat18
December 18th, 2016, 11:48 PM
I think overall, top to bottom, the MVFC are still tops as a conference. But I do think that the top of several other conferences are competitive with the top of the MVFC. Obviously, JMU beat the Bison. And the YSU game came down to the wire, and there were several things that could've gone differently that could've resulted in an EWU win. It was an evenly matched game, IMO. I just hope that my Eagles will keep challenging the team with the toughest OOC games we can find. I think playing tough teams are part of what battle tests the Valley teams. Some are under the philosophy that we should play cupcakes OOC and pad our record. I just don't know that if we don't play these tough games, EWU or others can really be ready for the toughest battles.

Once again, congrats to the MVFC on their playoff performance, and YSU on taking us out. Nothing by respect from me.

I agree about the MVFC still being on top when you look at top to bottom vs any other conference but ill take JMU UR NOVA all healthy this year vs healthy NDSU SDSU YSU of this year any day on a neutral field. Definitely taking the bottom 3 MVFC over the bottom 3 CAA though

Gangtackle11
December 19th, 2016, 02:31 AM
I agree about the MVFC still being on top when you look at top to bottom vs any other conference but ill take JMU UR NOVA all healthy this year vs healthy NDSU SDSU YSU of this year any day on a neutral field. Definitely taking the bottom 3 MVFC over the bottom 3 CAA though

Lets not forget the CAA has 12 teams & MVFC has 10. Always have written here it's a better conference overall because our bottom feeders pull us down not because our top teams can't play vs. their top teams.

penguinpower
December 19th, 2016, 03:25 AM
I don't disagree with what is being said, but the OOC win loss record says a lot too. It the true measure of conference strength top to bottom, especially when you consider the win loss records of the opponents in those conferences.

stevdock
December 19th, 2016, 06:49 AM

With respect to your OOC remarks, I personally wonder if our juggernaut of OOC games ended up being a little too much for our team this year. Normally I would say that the better competition you play against, the more prepared you will be for the playoffs. But with all the playoff games this group has played over the years, it was definitely not needed even if it did help us secure the #1 seed and home field throughout. I think our schedule next year is a little more balanced between tough OOC (EWU) and making sure we are still 100% healthy while still hopefully winning the games (MVSU and RMU).

Gangtackle11
December 19th, 2016, 07:17 AM
With respect to your OOC remarks, I personally wonder if our juggernaut of OOC games ended up being a little too much for our team this year. Normally I would say that the better competition you play against, the more prepared you will be for the playoffs. But with all the playoff games this group has played over the years, it was definitely not needed even if it did help us secure the #1 seed and home field throughout. I think our schedule next year is a little more balanced between tough OOC (EWU) and making sure we are still 100% healthy while still hopefully winning the games (MVSU and RMU).

Good point. An excellent argument for those who criticize teams for not scheduling tough. JMU had Morehead State & CCSU for example. Fans want tough matchups every week, but it might be detrimental to the team's overall success. Interesting. I don't feel so bad now.xpeacex

Gangtackle11
December 19th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I don't disagree with what is being said, but the OOC win loss record says a lot too. It the true measure of conference strength top to bottom, especially when you consider the win loss records of the opponents in those conferences.

I think part of the MVFC lore is that the past 5 years that the only team to beat NDSU was always from the MVFC during the regular season. I have no doubt that if the better CAA teams had played them home every other season they would have the same results. It just was that no one of any caliber got the chance for whatever reasons. NDSU had a historic run. Beat all comers in December. I'm sure they will reload & be there at the semis at a minimum. I still think if you replaced the stronger CAA teams for the stronger MVFC teams that NDSU would more or less have had the same success.

NDSU was the straw that stirred the drink of a solid conference. Replace UNI, SDSU, ISUr for Nova, UNH, & JMU over the past 5 years it would look the same. A few wins during the regular season against the Bison & 5 rings beating all comers in December.

penguinpower
December 19th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I think part of the MVFC lore is that the past 5 years that the only team to beat NDSU was always from the MVFC during the regular season. I have no doubt that if the better CAA teams had played them home every other season they would have the same results. It just was that no one of any caliber got the chance for whatever reasons. NDSU had a historic run. Beat all comers in December. I'm sure they will reload & be there at the semis at a minimum. I still think if you replaced the stronger CAA teams for the stronger MVFC teams that NDSU would more or less have had the same success.

NDSU was the straw that stirred the drink of a solid conference. Replace UNI, SDSU, ISUr for Nova, UNH, & JMU over the past 5 years it would look the same. A few wins during the regular season against the Bison & 5 rings beating all comers in December.

Good post

MR. CHICKEN
December 19th, 2016, 07:41 AM

.....IN DIS YEARS..PLAYOFFS...........CAA IS 7-3......MVFC IS 6-3.......DUH 'GUINS.....COOD TIE IT UP.....WIFF W OVERAH JMU......OR...YER IN DUH RIVER....IFIN'.....DUH DUKES.....OPEN UP...UH CAN UH.....STREAMERS.............WE BE COMPETITIVE.........BROCCO!

stevdock
December 19th, 2016, 07:58 AM
.....IN DIS YEARS..PLAYOFFS...........CAA IS 7-3......MVFC IS 6-3.......DUH 'GUINS.....COOD TIE IT UP.....WIFF W OVERAH JMU......OR...YER IN DUH RIVER....IFIN'.....DUH DUKES.....OPEN UP...UH CAN UH.....STREAMERS.............WE BE COMPETITIVE.........BROCCO!

Actually if YSU wins the MVFC has the better record at 7-3 compared to the CAA's 7-4 ;)

Gangtackle11
December 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Actually if YSU wins the MVFC has the better record at 7-3 compared to the CAA's 7-4 ;)

Both conferences stand at 7-3. Winner takes all.

Thumper 76
December 19th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Eh, I'm not so sure I would go along with the part on top 3 from the CAA winning against the top 3 from the MVFC if both were 100% healthy. NDSU was really ravaged on defense with injuries, SDSU had some injuries to key guys on defense as well, and YSU just beat EWU while missing a bunch of guys from suspensions a week after EWU smoked UR. I would say the MVFC takes two out of 3, especially considering that SDSU beat Nova and JMU beat NDSU. I would definitely take YSU over UR right now, even with UR being 100% healthy. There isn't a big gap or anything, I think the top of both conferences is similar in strength.

People always forget that almost every loss the Bison have had in conference play have been in Fargo. It's odd. That and in the last three years the MVFC has had three different teams in the championship game. I agree the three years prior that the MVFC got a lot of credit due to the bison. Still wish we could have seen the Jacks team with Summer and Zenner on the other side of the bracket, but it doesn't matter now. Hard to argue that the MVFC is only the bison when two of the last three years have had a separate MVFC team in the natty.

Lehigh'98
December 19th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Good point. An excellent argument for those who criticize teams for not scheduling tough. JMU had Morehead State & CCSU for example. Fans want tough matchups every week, but it might be detrimental to the team's overall success. Interesting. I don't feel so bad now.xpeacex Why would you feel bad, you guys have a brutal OOC :)

MR. CHICKEN
December 19th, 2016, 10:30 AM

..................OOOOOOOPERS!....xembarrassedxxsh hhx................BROCCO!

JayMYou
December 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM
..................OOOOOOOPERS!....xembarrassedxxsh hhx................BROCCO!

Fear not, you'll at least enjoy the success of the honeymoon period with Rocco. And if he ends up screwing you over and ditching town it will only be because your program is winning again so it's all good.