View Full Version : Dandy Dozen Candidates For Furman

Southern Pigskin
December 2nd, 2016, 01:36 PM
Southern Pigskin's Robbie Ross gives his take on candidates for the Furman Head Coach opening...

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/dandy-dozen-candidates-for-furman/

citdog
December 2nd, 2016, 01:38 PM
furman sucks

DirtyDukes
December 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
Surprised Mickey Matthews isn't on there.

citdog
December 2nd, 2016, 02:25 PM
Dingleberry Martin is on that list.

ASU33
December 3rd, 2016, 06:56 AM
Jamey Chadwell should be at the top of that list in my opinion.

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2016, 07:08 AM
I nominate citdog.xthumbsupx

PaladinNation
December 3rd, 2016, 08:09 AM
I think this list is a start but I think Buddie will mix things up…

I wouldn't be surprised to see a candidate list as diverse as Tom Arth at John Carroll to Jerry Mack at NCCU to Josh Stepp at Lexington HS.

CID1990
December 3rd, 2016, 08:22 AM

APR matters to Furman. Can Chadwell recruit there? That is the only thing Chadwell hasn't yet demonstrated. That's why I think Chadwell's next step is somewhere like ETSU or Ga State - those schools are less APR sensitive than Furman or Wofford, but more so than CSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2016, 08:38 AM
I nominate citdog.xthumbsupx

citdog asked me to post his response...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_qZru8M3BM

BTW - for you history and/or political science majors out there...irony intended.

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2016, 09:05 AM
citdog asked me to post his response...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_qZru8M3BM

BTW - for you history and/or political science majors out there...irony intended.
That takes me back!

Ho, ho, Ho Chi Minh! NLF is gonna win! Hey, hey, LBJ! How many kids did you kill today?

dgtw
December 3rd, 2016, 09:13 AM
Dingleberry Martin is on that list.

Your thoughts on Higgins as a candidate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2016, 10:11 AM

"Higgins...spent...nine seasons at The Citadel, where he compiled a 43-58 overall record."

I'm 42.6% in favor of him getting the job.

Elcid1995
December 3rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Higgins good coach. Built a solid foundation at El Cid. He's been living the good life at Wake would he want to step down to FCS bus rides etc. gut tells me his time has passed.

Chadwell.

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2016, 10:33 AM
Higgins good coach. Built a solid foundation at El Cid. He's been living the good life at Wake would he want to step down to FCS bus rides etc. gut tells me his time has passed.

Chadwell.

Yeah...I'm going to have someone from the Search Committee reach out to you and citdog to dig into your further thoughts on the matter. Wait by your phone(s).

citdog
December 3rd, 2016, 10:38 AM

Well he would no longer be welcome in Charleston if he went to furman because.....

furman sucks

ASU33
December 3rd, 2016, 10:44 AM
APR matters to Furman. Can Chadwell recruit there? That is the only thing Chadwell hasn't yet demonstrated. That's why I think Chadwell's next step is somewhere like ETSU or Ga State - those schools are less APR sensitive than Furman or Wofford, but more so than CSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point!

Elcid1995
December 3rd, 2016, 10:58 AM
I'm not a hater wish the best to FURMAN. A guy I work with everyday has a son in the football program.

citdog
December 3rd, 2016, 11:01 AM
I'm not a hater wish the best to FURMAN. A guy I work with everyday has a son in the football program.

My MOTHER went there and I hate all things furman. You should greet that fella each morning like I greet OlFu when I see him with "54 to 51" or "!0 to 9" etc etc....

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2016, 11:17 AM

That's cool, but, while Furman's culture is not nearly as complex or nuanced (I have other words, but I'll restrain myself) as The Citadel, I don't think you 'get' Furman if you think Coach Chadwell would be a good 'fit' for the new Head Football Coach there.

Also, unless Coach Higgins and Mike Buddie formed quite the unbreakable bond during their days together @ Wake Forest, I don't think there is much chance of his 'candidacy' for the role. Hiring a Head Coach with a losing record who is 'tainted' with a scent of Bellhop would NOT play well with the Alumni Football Players - probably the largest (#'s and $'s) and most loyal group of Furman Football supporters these days.

citdog
December 3rd, 2016, 11:19 AM
That's cool, but, while Furman's culture is not nearly as complex or nuanced (I have other words, but I'll restrain myself) as The Citadel, I don't think you 'get' Furman if you think Coach Chadwell would be a good 'fit' for the new Head Football Coach there.

Also, unless Coach Higgins and Mike Buddie formed quite the unbreakable bond during their days together @ Wake Forest, I don't think there is much chance of his 'candidacy' for the role. Hiring a Head Coach with a losing record who is 'tainted' with a scent of Bellhop would NOT play well with the Alumni Football Players - probably the largest (#'s and $'s) and most loyal group of Furman Football supporters these days.

Coach Cheatwell would not "play" at furman. There is ZERO chance he becomes the next Head Douche I mean Head Coach at furman.

Elcid1995
December 3rd, 2016, 11:35 AM

Bellhop is a term of endearment for you folks.

Elcid1995
December 3rd, 2016, 11:37 AM
Latest is that Chadwell is about to become GSUs coach after they fire their first year coach. Check Jeff Hartsells twitter

CitadelGrad
December 3rd, 2016, 12:41 PM

WTF would you know about Citadel culture?

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2016, 01:05 PM
WTF would you know about Citadel culture?

See Exhibit 1 (above)

Libertine
December 3rd, 2016, 09:09 PM
Latest is that Chadwell is about to become GSUs coach after they fire their first year coach. Check Jeff Hartsells twitter

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/article118731838.html

Summers staying as Georgia Southern’s head coach

woffordgrad94
December 3rd, 2016, 09:38 PM
I'm just glad Mike Ayers is not on the list.

RoyHobbs101
December 4th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Patrick Covington is an outstanding individual and a good line coach, not sure he is ready to be a HC. He has never even been a coordinator. I know that is not a deal breaker, but he needs some more seasoning.

PaladinFan
December 7th, 2016, 12:50 PM
http://furmanpaladins.com/athletics/Athletic_Director-s_Corner

A well written statement, I think, from Furman's new AD Mike Buddie.

Does specifically seem to suggest Furman will be interviewing current head coaches. Furman, I would have to think, would be a pretty attractive FCS job. I imagine there won't be much, if any, information leaked about the candidates.

NorthChuckSouth
December 9th, 2016, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately, I agree.. Successful at North Greenville and would be an easy job recruiting. Almost a dream job in South Carolina FCS football. Good fan base, solid facilities, and not too far from a beautiful city.

PaladinFan
December 9th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately, I agree.. Successful at North Greenville and would be an easy job recruiting. Almost a dream job in South Carolina FCS football. Good fan base, solid facilities, and not too far from a beautiful city.

The biggest issues with Chadwell (my opinion) is that he has never had to recruit at a school like Furman.

Bucs2016
December 9th, 2016, 03:49 PM
The biggest issues with Chadwell (my opinion) is that he has never had to recruit at a school like Furman.

You mean in terms of academics? Yes that's true. But in all other areas Furman is much easier to recruit to than CSU. Maybe the Charleston city and beach area is a little better for college kids. Greenville ain't bad though.

For the sake of my Bucs....I hope Furman doesn't want him!

PaladinNation
December 14th, 2016, 06:29 AM
The Iron Vault on Furman's coaching search is starting to losen up.
Coaches who've interviewed and reported to have been on campus:
Clay Hendrix and Jamey Chadwell.

Also being reported that an ACC assistant is being interviewed today… Des Kitchings (NCST) Running Backs and Recruiting Coordinator.
Longshots: Jeff Jagodzinski and Darrell Hazell.
Also appears that another coach, maybe another current head coach is in the mix.

I would put my money on the next Furman coach being either Hendrix or Chadwell.

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2016, 06:44 AM

Also being reported that an ACC assistant is being interviewed today… Des Kitchings (NCST) Running Backs and Recruiting Coordinator.
Also appears that another coach, maybe another current head coach is in the mix.

All seemingly good options.

Buddie said early in the process that they were looking for a CEO of the Furman program. Someone that is not only a quality coach, but also understands the nuanced side of connecting with alumni.

Hendrix is obviously a good coach, but makes some folks wary because it seems a third helping of the last two failed administrations - older coach, former Furman player.

Chadwell would be a break with the norm. Younger guy, no real Furman ties. Would completely change the face of the program, I expect.

NorthChuckSouth
December 14th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Heard Furman's making an announcement on the new HC on Friday

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Local upstate sportscaster Pete Yanity tweets that sources indicate Furman's final three:

Clay Hendrix, Associate Head Coach, Air Force Academy
Jamey Chadwell, Head Coach, Charleston Southern
Des Kitchings, RB Coach/Recruiting Coordinator, NC State

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 10:46 AM
My guess is that FU hires Hendrix and Chattanooga grabs Chadwell.

PaladinNation
December 15th, 2016, 12:19 PM
My guess is that FU hires Hendrix and Chattanooga grabs Chadwell.

I'd take that bet… still hearing that Des Kitchings impressed. Oddly he's the one that makes the most around 400k.
But it seems he really wants the job.

kdinva
December 16th, 2016, 05:26 AM
A couple of reports/tweets say Kitchings will be announced today.....

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

thirdgendin
December 16th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Would Des be the first African American head football coach in SoCon history? I cannot think of another one. Edited: No, I remember Jason Swepson at Elon.

I'm surprised but excited about Des becoming our head coach. I had expected Hendrix or Chadwell, but I hear that he had a great interview.

Catamount87
December 16th, 2016, 07:14 AM
News reports in Raleigh are that it's Des Kitchings.

Libertine
December 16th, 2016, 08:26 AM
FootballScoop now reporting it will definitely NOT be Kitchings.

thirdgendin
December 16th, 2016, 08:27 AM
@SIPeteThamel - "Source: Des Kitchings had an last-minute change of heart and won't take the Furman job. He's returning to NC State."

citdog
December 16th, 2016, 11:26 AM
@cd reporting

furman sucks

Libertine
December 16th, 2016, 10:34 PM
FootballScoop reporting -- for now -- that Clay Hendrix is the new coach at Furman.