PDA

View Full Version : North Alabama to move to D1 and join Big South in 2018

NDSUKurt
December 1st, 2016, 04:33 PM
Dom Izzo is reporting this:

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/804420054590713856

B&G
December 1st, 2016, 04:36 PM
That's a good get for Big South in my opinion.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2016, 04:38 PM
wasn't that already reported months ago?

JSUSoutherner
December 1st, 2016, 04:39 PM
That shoddy D2 team we crushed just has to keep dragging us down with their D2 mediocrity like Liberty and everyone else we played. xcoffeex

But jokes aside, I'm excited. Can't wait to see how well they compete. HUGE addition for the Big South.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2016, 04:56 PM
if I remember correctly they will be national champions the first year they're eligible for the playoffs, right?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2016, 05:02 PM
That shoddy D2 team we crushed just has to keep dragging us down with their D2 mediocrity like Liberty and everyone else we played. xcoffeex

But jokes aside, I'm excited. Can't wait to see how well they compete. HUGE addition for the Big South.

You sound like a Troy State boy...

BisonFan02
December 1st, 2016, 05:03 PM

They're all shoddy. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2016, 05:04 PM
you're shoddy

JSUSoutherner
December 1st, 2016, 05:05 PM
The difference is Pike County Remedial school sucks and they're afraid to schedule us so we can't drag down their SOS. xnodx

you're shoddy

Not a stadium.

Sandlapper Spike
December 1st, 2016, 05:07 PM

I believe it is expected that the official announcement will take place next week.

Schism55
December 1st, 2016, 05:09 PM
Good for the conference, bad for all the teams they are going to smash on an annual basis.

TheKingpin28
December 1st, 2016, 05:19 PM
Good for the conference, bad for all the teams they are going to smash on an annual basis.

Before or after the weight room and how will the SOS compare?

Milktruck74
December 1st, 2016, 05:26 PM
How will this impact recruiting at Jax St?

BisonFan02
December 1st, 2016, 06:01 PM
you're shoddy

No, you are.

BEAR
December 1st, 2016, 06:06 PM
Is this all speculation? If so and UNA is just in talks then Ursus needs to treat this thread like the other move up threads posted here in years past....and move it from this board.

WileECoyote06
December 1st, 2016, 06:40 PM
Can West Georgia be far behind? I know they wanted to move alongside UNA, us, Bryant and Presbyterian but I don't think they could find a taker.

JaxSinfonian
December 1st, 2016, 06:45 PM

Delete your account.

Thumper 76
December 1st, 2016, 06:46 PM
Delete your account.

Well this could be fun.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaxSinfonian
December 1st, 2016, 06:47 PM
Well this could be fun.....

I jest, but seriously, that kind of language is uncalled for. JSUSoutherner is a human being, ursus, and doesn't deserve that kind of abuse.

Laker
December 1st, 2016, 06:55 PM
Is this all speculation? If so and UNA is just in talks then Ursus needs to treat this thread like the other move up threads posted here in years past....and move it from this board.

This article says the announcement will be next week.

https://d1baseball.com/news/north-alabama-set-join-division/?utm_content=buffer65ae9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

JaxSinfonian
December 1st, 2016, 07:05 PM

Don't know. Certainly another competitor, long-term. I'd need to check their roster to see what they're doing now. I think JSU doesn't much venture up into their corner of the state. The talent pool in Alabama, Georgia and Florida is deep, of course.

CHIP72
December 1st, 2016, 07:07 PM
I guess it's fair to say the D2 title game will never go back to Florence, eh?

superman7515
December 1st, 2016, 07:38 PM

More importantly, isn't there already a thread on this from earlier this week?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?189548-Big-South-football-2017-offseason-preseason-thread&p=2424056&viewfull=1#post2424056

NDSU has been #1 for the majority of the last 6-7 years, you guys don't have to keep padding your post stats so you can stuff the ballot box, everyone already agrees with you, haha.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2016, 08:38 PM
Cool to see! Bobby Wallace is a helluva coach that walked into a nightmare at Temple. Hopefully he decides to coach for another 5-6 years....

NDSUtk
December 1st, 2016, 11:40 PM
More importantly, isn't there already a thread on this from earlier this week?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?189548-Big-South-football-2017-offseason-preseason-thread&p=2424056&viewfull=1#post2424056

NDSU has been #1 for the majority of the last 6-7 years, you guys don't have to keep padding your post stats so you can stuff the ballot box, everyone already agrees with you, haha.
Do you need help with a petition, Supe? We have mad skills on that ...

Cocky
December 2nd, 2016, 06:40 AM
JSU will be effected by the TUNA move up. It wont be any different than others, we will just have to improve our recruiting game and facilities to keep pace.

The increased interest and media will offset the minuses with us having a rival to go along with hopefully UTC on a long term basis. Also expect TUNA to be a good team in FCS which will help us prepare for the playoffs unlike most of the OVC.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2016, 08:49 AM
FCS needs more quality teams. Hopefully that's what they bring.

NDSUKurt
December 2nd, 2016, 10:09 AM
FCS needs more quality teams. Hopefully that's what they bring.

Agreed 100%. Hopefully North Alabama will win from the start like Old Dominion and NDSU instead of sucking like Northern Colorado, Houston Baptist, and Prairie View A&M.

I would love to see North Alabama come to Fargo in 2018 or 2019. That would be a great "welcome to FCS" for them.

X-Factor
December 2nd, 2016, 10:16 AM
I think North Ala can make some wins in FCS. Give them a couple years

Bison56
December 2nd, 2016, 10:35 AM

Do they get a lot of transfers too?xdontknowx

RootinFerDukes
December 2nd, 2016, 10:38 AM
North Alabama will win immediately in the Big South because it's the Big South. Thank goodness Liberty has more than 1 challenger in that conference moving forward.

CHIP72
December 2nd, 2016, 10:45 AM
I think North Ala can make some wins in FCS. Give them a couple years

We've seen many times over last few years/decades that top level D2 teams can compete with probably at least 2/3 to 3/4 of FCS/DI-AA teams, if not an even higher percentage of teams. I'd be surprised if North Alabama isn't competitive at the FCS level (say at least .500) immediately, and assuming UNA keeps on doing what they've been doing program-wise, they should be a playoff caliber team within their first 5 years in FCS.

kdinva
December 2nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
Their stadium will be the 2nd largest in the Big South.

http://una.sidearmsports.com/facilities/?id=2

http://una.sidearmsports.com/images/2015/6/26//Braly%20Stadum%20Aerial.jpg?width=500&height=300&mode=crop

TheEagleSHSU
December 2nd, 2016, 11:49 AM
What about Northwest Missouri State University? When or if ever do they move up? That would be a solid addition to FCS.

Laker
December 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
What about Northwest Missouri State University? When or if ever do they move up? That would be a solid addition to FCS.

Northwest and Grand Valley both. But neither one seems to want to do so. Solid programs.

SENOREIDA
December 2nd, 2016, 12:45 PM
Northwest and Grand Valley both. But neither one seems to want to do so. Solid programs.
Isn't illegal for a Michigan team to go DI? I thought there was chatter here before saying Michigan will not allow FCS schools, or schools competing in DI football other than already established?

TNshadetree
December 2nd, 2016, 12:49 PM
You're confusing Michigan with North Dakota's law that no school can become a FBS team. They have to stay FCS schools with a 500 mile radius recruiting monopoly.

Laker
December 2nd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Isn't illegal for a Michigan team to go DI? I thought there was chatter here before saying Michigan will not allow FCS schools, or schools competing in DI football other than already established?

I've been reading posts by Grand Valley fans (and many other D2 schools) for a decade and I've never heard that come up even once.

Now you could say the same thing about Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin and I could give you a long sermon as to why there is only one FBS and no FCS schools in each of those states but I'll save that for another post.

jacksfan29
December 2nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
You're confusing Michigan with North Dakota's law that no school can become a FBS team. They have to stay FCS schools with a 500 mile radius recruiting monopoly.

Was this supposed to be in pink? You do know that one of the issues with NDSU moving to FBS is that there is no conference interested in them? You can't move up without an invite. Geographically they have a huge issue. The MWC is the only conference that makes any sense and that isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

Chattanooga fans are an odd bunch.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2016, 01:45 PM

Not really a place for them to go to. GVSU has kind of the same problem but I'm guessing if they wanted to move up a conference would probably accommodate them. I do know at one time their admin was very much against the move but I'm not sure if they still have the same people in charge.

Bison56
December 2nd, 2016, 02:23 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/10KpOGFaZNjqnK/giphy.gif (http://giphy.com/gifs/seriously-eyeroll-krysten-reitter-10KpOGFaZNjqnK)

dewey
December 2nd, 2016, 04:56 PM
North Alabama will win immediately in the Big South because it's the Big South. Thank goodness Liberty has more than 1 challenger in that conference moving forward.

^^^^^This right here. North Alabama has a good football program. They are one of the best teams in D2 this season and gave JSU a better game than most of the OVC this season.

Dewey

Schism55
December 2nd, 2016, 05:35 PM
UNA owns this conference very early on.
One of the top 5 D2 programs all time.
Great for the fcs they are coming up.
UNA NDSU home and home series please! Rematch of the 85 title game my young ass was at

Thumper 76
December 2nd, 2016, 06:07 PM

This really should help Liberty and the entire Big South up their game, much like what has happened with the MVFC when they added the Dakota schools. Liberty has gotten complacent IMHO with only one contender in their conference and has led to some of their current woes.

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2016, 06:18 PM
This really should help Liberty and the entire Big South up their game, much like what has happened with the MVFC when they added the Dakota schools excluding USeD. Liberty has gotten complacent IMHO with only one contender in their conference and has led to some of their current woes.

FYP. xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
December 2nd, 2016, 06:19 PM
FYP. xdrunkyx

Oh man, I totally forgot about them. Good catch!

TTUEagles
December 2nd, 2016, 07:43 PM
My first football game ever was at 6 years old: Eastern Illinois at UNA in the D-II playoffs. UNA has always been good a most sports, and definitely football.
F the OVC for F'ing this up a few years ago. Glad we got SIUEUEIEUEUEUE or whoever they are.

Schism55
December 2nd, 2016, 08:38 PM
My first football game ever was at 6 years old: Eastern Illinois at UNA in the D-II playoffs. UNA has always been good a most sports, and definitely football.
F the OVC for F'ing this up a few years ago. Glad we got SIUEUEIEUEUEUE or whoever they are.
Clearly the 1 bid OVC didn't need a great program like UNA :D

Big_Fan
December 3rd, 2016, 02:50 AM
Clearly the 1 bid OVC didn't need a great program like UNA :D

JSU was all but begging for UNA to be admitted. With EKU wanting a bid to the MAC, and TUNA being a traditional rival of JSU, admitting them made too much sense.

If you guys haven't figured it out, JSU fans pretty much hate the OVC... we recognize that it is the only game in town for us, but we don't like it. If the SoCon would take TUNA and JSU together, we would be there next week. Heck, some JSU fans are ready to seek admission to the Big South. If it wasn't for the ASun component, we might do it to get back together with TUNA.

Cocky
December 3rd, 2016, 07:59 AM
Do they get a lot of transfers too?xdontknowx

Historically yes, but I havent kept up with it lately.

ASU33
December 3rd, 2016, 10:41 AM
Historically yes, but I havent kept up with it lately.

They got tons during the Bowden years but since Wallace has returned they're back to recruiting the high schools ranks. Bowden hurt UNAs program as far as relationship with high school coaches in The Shoals and Tennessee Valley area. Historically those were the areas the tons of kids who suited up for UNA came from, but Bowden went the transfer route and didn't even look at a lot of those kids.

kdinva
December 7th, 2016, 11:28 AM
this article states "2019" for UNA.....

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20161206175441401190604&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Laker
December 7th, 2016, 12:49 PM
this article states "2019" for UNA.....

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20161206175441401190604&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

I assume this means for football. Not sure who they will play in 2018. Still D2 next season.

From the UNA site:

"UNA will begin its four-year transitional period into Division I in the Fall of 2018.

A charter member of the Gulf South Conference and a member of the NCAA Division II since it was formed in 1972, UNA will remain in the GSC and Division II through the 2017-18 academic year."

aceinthehole
December 7th, 2016, 01:01 PM
I think per NCAA regulations, next year is a mandatory "Exploratory Year" followed by 4 "Transitional Years"

Libertine
December 7th, 2016, 02:50 PM
2018 will be an FCS transitional year for UNA where they won't be FCS or D2. In 2019, they'll be considered FCS and will begin play in the Big South. However, they won't be full-fledged members of D1 until they complete their transition process which should be completed in time for the 2022 season.

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Go Lions! 2022 Big South Champs!

Professor
December 8th, 2016, 09:46 AM
UNA is going to be a player in the Big South

clenz
December 8th, 2016, 09:50 AM
2018 will be an FCS transitional year for UNA where they won't be FCS or D2. In 2019, they'll be considered FCS and will begin play in the Big South. However, they won't be full-fledged members of D1 until they complete their transition process which should be completed in time for the 2022 season.
This.

It's like CCU this year.

Technically not really FCS
Technically not really FBS
Technically still a Big South member
Technically not a Big South member

walliver
December 8th, 2016, 10:05 AM
This.

It's like CCU this year.

Technically not really FCS
Technically not really FBS
Technically still a Big South member
Technically not a Big South member
Actually, CCU left the Big South completely this summer, and is now a full member of the Sun Belt in every sport except football where they are an independent.

What I have always found strange is that D-1 members who start football from scratch are immediately eligible for just about everything, while D2 teams are subjected to all kinds of nonsense. The limitations in basketball are even worse (apparently to limit the number of BB schools who move up).

TheRevSFA
December 8th, 2016, 10:07 AM

and then 2023 SOCON champs. Can't imagine they'll stay in Big South for too long

Laker
December 8th, 2016, 10:47 AM
UNA will still be D2 in 2017- the Gulf South Conference rule is that they have to give them a full year's notice before they can leave. And they will be eligible for D2 playoffs that year.

BEAR
December 8th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Yep. One year in purgatory and 4 years in hell.

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Yep. One year in purgatory and 4 years in hell.

And then Jerry Fallwell Jr will pray for them and they go to Liberty, aka Heaven.

Libertine
December 8th, 2016, 01:22 PM
What I have always found strange is that D-1 members who start football from scratch are immediately eligible for just about everything, while D2 teams are subjected to all kinds of nonsense.

It's because transitioning up from D2 involves an entire athletic department. That's every sport therein along with added budgets, NCAA compliance criteria and possible infrastructure adjustments. Adding football to a school that's already D1 is just that, adding a sport.

clenz
December 8th, 2016, 01:33 PM
It's because transitioning up from D2 involves an entire athletic department. That's every sport therein along with added budgets, NCAA compliance criteria and possible infrastructure adjustments. Adding football to a school that's already D1 is just that, adding a sport.

Also true.

Academic requirements are also different. Essentially you need to restructure everything about the entire athletic department and even part of the general university to move from D1 from D2. A D1 starting a football program has none of those issues.

walliver
December 8th, 2016, 04:43 PM
and then 2023 SOCON champs. Can't imagine they'll stay in Big South for too long

I suspect they stay with the Big South a while. Their only real geographic options from there would be the OVC (which would be their best permanent home) or the Sun Belt. I don't see the SoCon taking UNA unless FU, El Cid, Wofford and VMI have gone elsewhere - and I think that unlikely.

Braly
December 8th, 2016, 11:25 PM

xbowx

Do we also host a playoff game in your 2022 vision?

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2016, 11:29 PM
xbowx

Do we also host a playoff game in your 2022 vision?

As long as you go the NDSU/SDSU route instead of the way of Northern Colorado.

NorthChuckSouth
December 9th, 2016, 12:37 AM
The Gulf South is a dang good conference in D2 and I expect more to move up... there was some talk that West Georgia could move up to the Big South as well. I could see UNA being almost like Jack State, especially with their history of fbs transfers like Janoris Jenkins.

I think UNA will do well in the conference but who knows what will happen by 2019. I'm sure in 2012 people weren't thinking we'd win the conference back-to-back. It'll be interesting to see how the addition of Cambell and UNA will help the conference.

Ya'll think there's any chance that they end up like Abilene Christian and struggle in their first couple years in FCS?

Cocky
December 9th, 2016, 07:12 AM
The Gulf South is a dang good conference in D2 and I expect more to move up... there was some talk that West Georgia could move up to the Big South as well. I could see UNA being almost like Jack State, especially with their history of fbs transfers like Janoris Jenkins.

I think UNA will do well in the conference but who knows what will happen by 2019. I'm sure in 2012 people weren't thinking we'd win the conference back-to-back. It'll be interesting to see how the addition of Cambell and UNA will help the conference.

Ya'll think there's any chance that they end up like Abilene Christian and struggle in their first couple years in FCS?

TUNA will do well because football is important in Florence.

BEAR
December 9th, 2016, 12:44 PM

Dang. You read my mind. xlolx

woffordgrad94
December 9th, 2016, 02:46 PM
UNA may well win the Big South their very first year in it.