PDA

View Full Version : Biggest upsets in playoffs?

AmsterBison
November 30th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Where does San Diego's win over Cal Poly rank in the Big List of FCS Playoff Upsets?

Gotta think it's right up there. I thought Colgate's run in 2003 (which happened to be the year I started following DI-AA closely) was pretty unlikely too.

Bearkat90
November 30th, 2016, 03:09 PM
2014 JSU beat at home by SHSU not sure how they lost to a team from such a weak conference

I mean since all they do is talk about last years win I think I will just talk about 2014

ysubigred
November 30th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Where does San Diego's win over Cal Poly rank in the Big List of FCS Playoff Upsets?

Gotta think it's right up there. I thought Colgate's run in 2003 (which happened to be the year I started following DI-AA closely) was pretty unlikely too.

I think the all time upset champ has to be Lehigh.

Bison56
November 30th, 2016, 03:14 PM
2014 JSU beat at home by SHSU not sure how they lost to a team from such a weak conference

I mean since all they do is talk about last years win I think I will just talk about 2014

https://media.giphy.com/media/l41YeMCGgItRcBQFa/giphy.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-85zustHQAhWl44MKHTNeBbgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fsearch%2Fugly-cry&bvm=bv.139782543,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFiTzoCjlVe5dvPnNojOaM0AwSGnA&ust=1480626726033196)

ursus arctos horribilis
November 30th, 2016, 03:15 PM

What? Lehigh doesn't compare to San Diego if you ask me. It was a decent sized upset though.

Daytripper
November 30th, 2016, 03:17 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/LV0m4BLmvL2oM/giphy.gif

Bearkat90
November 30th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Oh and here comes the Bison to defend their buddies!
I have been watching this stuff on here for several weeks started to not even bother but today I decided why not!
MK has been carrying the banner so I am going to prop it up
Bring on the hate because u seem to have it I will never be able to equal your butt hurt because I don't get into hating another school as much as you keyboard junkies do

https://media.giphy.com/media/l41YeMCGgItRcBQFa/giphy.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-85zustHQAhWl44MKHTNeBbgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fsearch%2Fugly-cry&bvm=bv.139782543,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFiTzoCjlVe5dvPnNojOaM0AwSGnA&ust=1480626726033196)[/QUOTE]

RootinFerDukes
November 30th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I'd say UR over App State in 2008 was the biggest upset because it finally ended that f'in dynasty. It will be immediately replaced by whoever finally beats NDSU.

CockyGeek
November 30th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I'd say UR over App State in 2008 was the biggest upset because it finally ended that f'in dynasty. It will be immediately replaced by whoever finally beats NDSU.
San Diego over NDSU confirmed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Didn't Tennessee State or someone lose as the #1 seed in the 1st round in 1999?

TheRevSFA
November 30th, 2016, 03:34 PM

Good Lord the butthurt is strong with the Kats..

OhioHen
November 30th, 2016, 03:34 PM

Colgate was unbeaten entering the playoffs and had the Payton award winner in the backfield. Not exactly an upset situation there.

BEAR
November 30th, 2016, 03:35 PM
UCA over EWU this Saturday.....

http://media.giphy.com/media/Zb37TkTTStYfm/giphy.gif

Katfan
November 30th, 2016, 03:37 PM
UCA over EWU this Saturday.....

http://media.giphy.com/media/Zb37TkTTStYfm/giphy.gif
Bear made me laugh, probably cause old enough to remember doing these drills.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Colgate was unbeaten entering the playoffs and had the Payton award winner in the backfield. Not exactly an upset situation there.

Agreed. That was a hell of a team.

UNIFanSince1983
November 30th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Didn't Tennessee State or someone lose as the #1 seed in the 1st round in 1999?

Not sure if they were the top seed or not that year, but they did lose to NC A&T in the first round.

grizband
November 30th, 2016, 03:59 PM
New Hampshire over Georgia Southern on 2004 was pretty huge. UNH hadn't been to the playoffs in ten years, and Georgia Southern was the dominant FCS school, at the time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 30th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Bear made me laugh, probably cause old enough to remember doing these drills.

Wow, are we that old?

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2016, 04:27 PM

Colgate was not an upset... they were 12-0 and had a Walter Payton award winner plus All-Americans... they had the horses...

"Upset" is a team having no business winning, winning... i.e. Appy vs. Michigan

Katfan
November 30th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Wow, are we that old?
Yep, that was from the mid 60's. I've seen a lot of football

UNIFanSince1983
November 30th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I mean UNI over UNH in 2005 was pretty big, but I don't think it was even as big as Lehigh over UNI in 2010 or for sure San Diego over CP this year.

ElCid
November 30th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Yep, that was from the mid 60's. I've seen a lot of football

I was in kindergarten in 68 and we would go the cellar and line the walls and cover our heads periodically.

Bison56
November 30th, 2016, 04:52 PM
I have been watching this stuff on here for several weeks started to not even bother but today I decided why not!
Bring on the hate because u seem to have it I will never be able to equal your butt hurt because I don't get into hating another school as much as you keyboard junkies do [/QUOTE]

https://m.popkey.co/1c786e/kvKXd.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiCxsTQyNHQAhUGTSYKHcaIDdoQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpopkey.co%2Fm%2FkvKXd-ok-okay-jennifer%2Blawrence-jlaw&bvm=bv.139782543,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNHoHFRQL3EDD3LfDODnclMFv6WW6A&ust=1480632653887205)

MR. CHICKEN
November 30th, 2016, 05:12 PM
.....1993.......FIELD UH 16.....#15....DELAWARE......BEAT #2....MONTANA.....IN MISERYOULA....49-48......WHEN PLACE-KICKER.....COUGHED -UP...DUH FUR-BALL........BRAWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 30th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Good Lord the butthurt is strong with the Kats..

Yes, there seems to be avery large contingent of "everybody gets a trophy" types in the recent group that need outside affirmation so badly they can't seem to look at reasonable points...reasonably.

"Everybody hates us! You are just a bunch of haters!!"

Just goofy **** man.

MTfan4life
November 30th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Wofford over previously undefeated Montana in the first round in 2007. Yes Montana had just a terrible schedule that season, which amounted to them being the three seed, but it was a star studded cast. To top it off, future pro bowler Dan Carpenter missed the potential game winning field goal wide wide left to end the game. At least seven players who played in the game ended up spending several years in the NFL, with a few of those still on rosters. Those included the aforementioned Carpenter, Marc Mariani, Buck Buchanan award winner Kroy Biermann, Shann Schillinger, Lex Hilliard, Chase Reynolds, and Colt Anderson.

Serpentor
November 30th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Yes, there seems to be avery large contingent of "everybody gets a trophy" types in the recent group that need outside affirmation so badly they can't seem to look at reasonable points...reasonably.

"Everybody hates us! You are just a bunch of haters!!"

Just goofy **** man.

Serpentor does not have butthurt! He uses Preparation H...

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2016, 05:19 PM
.....1993.......FIELD UH 16.....#15....DELAWARE......BEAT #2....MONTANA.....IN MISERYOULA....49-48......WHEN PLACE-KICKER.....COUGHED -UP...DUH FUR-BALL........BRAWK!
Loved that game, and I think it was a 1 vs 16 matchup.

dudeitsaid
November 30th, 2016, 05:34 PM
EWU over top ranked SIU in 2004. Prior to that time, EWU had only made the playoffs three times since joining 1-AA in the 80's. 2004 was really the start of the upswing for the EWU football program. EWU has only missed the playoffs three times since then.

...Then the next week dominated SHSU until going into prevent D for the last twelve minutes of the game, giving up three touchdowns, the last point being scored with no time on the clock. That still fricken ticks me off!

Lehigh'98
November 30th, 2016, 05:40 PM
If USD were to somehow knock off the Bizun it'd be far and away the biggest upset of all time

bonarae
November 30th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Pioneer vs. the rest of the FCS... I'd bet my fantasy $ on it. xtwocentsx

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2016, 05:52 PM

Does SHSU still get credit for the 2014 win? I thought that JaxSt whipped the BearKats so unmercifully last season that the NCAA had required SHSU to vacate the 2014 victory.

Schism55
November 30th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Does SHSU still get credit for the 2014 win? I thought that JaxSt whipped the BearKats so unmercifully last season that the NCAA had required SHSU to vacate the 2014 victory.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23989&stc=1

MacThor
November 30th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Not sure if they were the top seed or not that year, but they did lose to NC A&T in the first round.

Yeah, well the last time a MEAC team won a playoff game would pretty much answer the question.

Red & Black
November 30th, 2016, 06:37 PM
EWU over top ranked SIU in 2004. Prior to that time, EWU had only made the playoffs three times since joining 1-AA in the 80's. 2004 was really the start of the upswing for the EWU football program. EWU has only missed the playoffs three times since then.

...Then the next week dominated SHSU until going into prevent D for the last twelve minutes of the game, giving up three touchdowns, the last point being scored with no time on the clock. That still fricken ticks me off!

2004 EWU over #1 seed S. Illinois was a pretty big upset.

Wish you hadn't mentioned the SHSU game the following week. FFS. Biggest meltdown ever.

CHIP72
November 30th, 2016, 06:40 PM
If USD were to somehow knock off the Bizun it'd be far and away the biggest upset of all time

FCS or any level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonarae
November 30th, 2016, 06:50 PM
FCS or any level?

FCS. D-II has a host of these; D-III not so much.

dudeitsaid
November 30th, 2016, 06:51 PM
FCS or any level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would definitely be up there at an "any level" type of upset in my book. But it would without a doubt be the biggest upset in FCS history. Heck, they just secured the first playoff win IN HISTORY for their ENTIRE CONFERENCE! Then, for a non-scholly team to knock off the #1 seed five time reigning FCS national champs...on their home turf! They might have to make a movie about that!

dudeitsaid
November 30th, 2016, 06:52 PM
FCS. D-II has a host of these; D-III not so much.

If there are lower division upsets of this magnitude, they just don't get much recognition. I think for FCS recognition, nothing has been bigger than App St over Michigan, but I'd have to imagine San Diego pulling this off would get some ESPN press as well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2016, 06:52 PM

I just got the chance to look it up. Tennessee State was indeed the top seed in 1999 and lost to #16 NC A&T 24-10. I remember it being rather controversial that TSU got the #1 seed over Georgia Southern that year.

So that's the perceived strongest team in the playoffs losing to the perceived weakest team....

MR. CHICKEN
November 30th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Loved that game, and I think it was a 1 vs 16 matchup.

..........EVEN BIGGER....UP-ENDER.....AWK!

PAllen
November 30th, 2016, 07:10 PM
What? Lehigh doesn't compare to San Diego if you ask me. It was a decent sized upset though.

Little non-scholly Lehigh beating CAA champ Richmond in 1998 was a pretty big upset. It was only the second year of Patriot playoff participation, and Colgate didn't exactly shine in year one. #3 Richmond was the overwhelming favorite. Oddly enough, if Phil throws either of those two passes close to a receiver and we win the game at UMass the next week, that would be seen as less of a win than the win over Richmond. Umass would not have gone on and been national champions and would have been just another at large bid that didn't make it to the semis.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I mean UNI over UNH in 2005 was pretty big, but I don't think it was even as big as Lehigh over UNI in 2010 or for sure San Diego over CP this year.

Why is Lehigh beating a mediocre UNI team a big upset? It was embarassing, but that was by far our worst playoff team and the low attendance that weekend showed that our fans knew it.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Little non-scholly Lehigh beating CAA champ Richmond in 1998 was a pretty big upset. It was only the second year of Patriot playoff participation, and Colgate didn't exactly shine in year one. #3 Richmond was the overwhelming favorite. Oddly enough, if Phil throws either of those two passes close to a receiver and we win the game at UMass the next week, that would be seen as less of a win than the win over Richmond. Umass would not have gone on and been national champions and would have been just another at large bid that didn't make it to the semis.

As a #16 seed, Colgate lost 49-28 to #1 seed Villanova. The game was tied 28-28 in the fourth, when the Wildcats broke it open.

Schwarz04
November 30th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Bring on the hate because u seem to have it I will never be able to equal your butt hurt because I don't get into hating another school as much as you keyboard junkies do

https://media.giphy.com/media/l41YeMCGgItRcBQFa/giphy.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-85zustHQAhWl44MKHTNeBbgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fsearch%2Fugly-cry&bvm=bv.139782543,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFiTzoCjlVe5dvPnNojOaM0AwSGnA&ust=1480626726033196)[/QUOTE]

You our cant really blame Bison fans on this thread, it wasn't even about SHSU in any way, until you made it about them...

Hammerhead
November 30th, 2016, 09:49 PM
In 2010 NDSU beat the #4 seed, Montana State by 25 points.
http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=1429

ngineer
November 30th, 2016, 11:09 PM

You might be right. We shocked Western Illinois back in 2000 when WIU was ranked #4 and we traveled to the middle of Illinois and stunned them by something like 37-7. We were picked my most to lose by 20.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 30th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Also in 2004 in JMU's unlikely championship run (never had much playoff success prior to 2004) was the quarterfinal beating #2 Furman. Furman was a SoCon power at the time, and many thought QB Ingle Martin had a shot at NFL success. To his credit, he had stints with the Titans, Chiefs and Broncos for a while. JMU had a crucial 4th quarter TD drive to pull off the upset.

I remember a Furman fan at the prior week's game at Lehigh saying, "Your team looks pretty good, but they have nothing on the speed of the SoCon teams." xcoffeex

Bearkat90
November 30th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Would have posted on others but it won't let me since I can't vote in the poll and I have to vote to post
But I make a point about the upset of JSU in 2014 and everyone wants to go to 2015

You our cant really blame Bison fans on this thread, it wasn't even about SHSU in any way, until you made it about them...[/QUOTE]

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2016, 12:02 AM
Also in 2004 in JMU's unlikely championship run (never had much playoff success prior to 2004) was the quarterfinal beating #2 Furman. Furman was a SoCon power at the time, and many thought QB Ingle Martin had a shot at NFL success. To his credit, he had stints with the Titans, Chiefs and Broncos for a while. JMU had a crucial 4th quarter TD drive to pull off the upset.

I remember a Furman fan at the prior week's game at Lehigh saying, "Your team looks pretty good, but they have nothing on the speed of the SoCon teams." xcoffeex

Ingle Martin is now a very successful High School Head Coach at Christ Presbyterian Academy in the Nashville, TN area.

...and that game was PAINFUL for Furman Fans...made worse when JMU won it all by beating Montana and taking away Furman's chance at another Finals 3 years-later-redemption for their 2001 13-6 loss to the Grizzlies in the Finals, just as the '88 Furman Team's Championship 17-12 victory over GaSou had 'redeemed' the '85 FU Team's last seconds Championship Game 44-42 loss to the Iggles.

Furman was about to go up 20-7 late in the 3rd Quarter and then these events occurred...

Drive Started
Drive Ended
Consumed

Team
Qtr
Spot
Time
Obtained
Spot
Time

How Lost
Pl-Yds

FUR
3rd
F08
10:22
Punt
J01
05:25

Fumble
11-91
4:57
Score is 13-7 Furman & THEN...Lost FUMBLE on the JMU 1 yard line on 1st & Goal from the 7 yard line. He was freakin' goin' in...dammit!

FUR
4th
F34
09:21
Punt
J26
05:11

Missed FG
7-40
4:10
Actually, it was a BLOCKED Field Goal that would have put Furman up by 2 scores (16-7), which would have been enough...dammit!

JMU
4th
J26
Missed FG
F00
00:28
TOUCHDOWN
12-74
4:43
JMU scores on a 1 yard run on 4th & Goal with freakin' 28 seconds left - THE HORROR!

Thanks for making me relive that afternoon from 12 years ago. I was almost over it...almost.

On a more positive note, I was able to witness FU decimate JaxState 49-7 in Paladin Stadium the week before the JMU @ FU game. Rumor was that JaxState's entire secondary in that game was on Probation (CRIMINAL Probation, not NCAA or Academic) and 1 of the had been charged with murder. Any truth to that rumor, Cocks fans?

BisonTru
December 1st, 2016, 12:05 AM
Would have posted on others but it won't let me since I can't vote in the poll and I have to vote to post
But I make a point about the upset of JSU in 2014 and everyone wants to go to 2015

I'm sure you can get those last three posts you need to vote in here.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179076-SHSU-Jacksonville-State&highlight=SHSU

(http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179076-SHSU-Jacksonville-State&highlight=SHSU)

dudeitsaid
December 1st, 2016, 12:37 AM

Wish you hadn't mentioned the SHSU game the following week. FFS. Biggest meltdown ever.

I thought so too...till VA overthrew a layup to a wide open Kupp against Towson...ending Kupp's TD streak as a freshmen, and giving Towson the chance to take the lead...And we know how that store ended. Both of those are very bitter memories!

dudeitsaid
December 1st, 2016, 12:40 AM
In 2010 NDSU beat the #4 seed, Montana State by 25 points.
http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=1429

Retroactively, no wins by the Bison during their entire history will be considered upsets. Signed and dated this 30th of November in the year of our Lord 2016.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2016, 06:28 AM
Ah yes, 2004...Not often us yankees get to come down south and whip up on the those southern boys, right Citdog?

Now that I think of it, UNH does pretty well against the south, with wins over McNeese State, SELA, and Chattanooga.....

mvemjsunpx
December 1st, 2016, 07:26 AM
2003: NAU over #1 McNeese, especially since the score was 35-3.

grizband
December 1st, 2016, 09:30 AM
2003: NAU over #1 McNeese, especially since the score was 35-3.
Forgot about that...also a huge upset

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mango433
December 1st, 2016, 09:40 AM

Oh really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94_kv5qTSxk

clawman
December 1st, 2016, 10:00 AM
EWU went to Carbondale as a 15 or 16 and upset the Silukis, where does that rate?

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2016, 10:43 AM
UNH's win over Georgia Southern was absolutely stunning in 2004. UNH had never done anything of note prior to that win, and their amazing success in 2004 was largely regarded as flukey. I watched that game on ESPN and couldn't believe what I saw.

UNH was the best team in the country in 2005, went down 21-0 to UNI, roared back to tie the game and lost on a dropped option pitch that would've been a TD. They've never had a better chance to win it all than that season. Still pains me to this day.

IBleedYellow
December 1st, 2016, 11:02 AM
Retroactively, no wins by the Bison during their entire history will be considered upsets. Signed and dated this 30th of November in the year of our Lord 2016.

That's just not fair.

But you're probably right. :(

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2016, 11:04 AM
UNH's win over Georgia Southern was absolutely stunning in 2004. UNH had never done anything of note prior to that win, and their amazing success in 2004 was largely regarded as flukey. I watched that game on ESPN and couldn't believe what I saw.

UNH was the best team in the country in 2005, went down 21-0 to UNI, roared back to tie the game and lost on a dropped option pitch that would've been a TD. They've never had a better chance to win it all than that season. Still pains me to this day.

Why did you have to mention 2005...xbawlingx

jmu007
December 1st, 2016, 11:09 AM
This post takes me back to listening to my Dad tell the same story after he got home some traveling down to Furman. Had nothing but great things to say about everyone out tailgating, but that was his biggest take away. Everyone he met to a man said that was supposed to be Furman's year and how the entire town was in shock after the game. Wish I could've made it down there instead of having to stay back in Harrisonburg for final exams.

Ingle Martin is now a very successful High School Head Coach at Christ Presbyterian Academy in the Nashville, TN area.

...and that game was PAINFUL for Furman Fans...made worse when JMU won it all by beating Montana and taking away Furman's chance at another Finals 3 years-later-redemption for their 2001 13-6 loss to the Grizzlies in the Finals, just as the '88 Furman Team's Championship 17-12 victory over GaSou had 'redeemed' the '85 FU Team's last seconds Championship Game 44-42 loss to the Iggles.

Furman was about to go up 20-7 late in the 3rd Quarter and then these events occurred...

Drive Started
Drive Ended
Consumed

Team
Qtr
Spot
Time
Obtained
Spot
Time

How Lost
Pl-Yds

FUR
3rd
F08
10:22
Punt
J01
05:25

Fumble
11-91
4:57
Score is 13-7 Furman & THEN...Lost FUMBLE on the JMU 1 yard line on 1st & Goal from the 7 yard line. He was freakin' goin' in...dammit!

FUR
4th
F34
09:21
Punt
J26

Missed FG
7-40
4:10
Actually, it was a BLOCKED Field Goal that would have put Furman up by 2 scores (16-7), which would have been enough...dammit!

JMU
4th
J26
Missed FG
F00
00:28
TOUCHDOWN
12-74
4:43
JMU scores on a 1 yard run on 4th & Goal with freakin' 28 seconds left - THE HORROR!

Thanks for making me relive that afternoon from 12 years ago. I was almost over it...almost.

On a more positive note, I was able to witness FU decimate JaxState 49-7 in Paladin Stadium the week before the JMU @ FU game. Rumor was that JaxState's entire secondary in that game was on Probation (CRIMINAL Probation, not NCAA or Academic) and 1 of the had been charged with murder. Any truth to that rumor, Cocks fans?

dudeitsaid
December 1st, 2016, 11:11 AM
Man, this thread is as much about upsets as upset fans remembering the sorrows of the one that got away. Seems most of us also have some of those incredible "agony of defeat" losses that stick in our memory, as well as a "thrill of victory" win to dull the pain a little.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
December 1st, 2016, 12:15 PM
Man, this thread is as much about upsets as upset fans remembering the sorrows of the one that got away. Seems most of us also have some of those incredible "agony of defeat" losses that stick in our memory, as well as a "thrill of victory" win to dull the pain a little.

Did you mention this on purpose?;)

IBleedYellow
December 1st, 2016, 12:41 PM

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/animals-fishing_hook-fishermen-fishing_line-fish-bait-llan1296_low.jpg

Stay_Red
December 1st, 2016, 12:42 PM
EWU went to McNeese and beat them in 2007. McNeese State was a 2 seed.
That was HUGE!

dudeitsaid
December 1st, 2016, 12:49 PM
Did you mention this on purpose?;)
LOL, not even thinking about that...but, yep, we all have at least one of those, surprisingly including the Bison.