View Full Version : Beau Baldwin to Nevada?

Utgrizfan
November 29th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Since Nevada has fired their head coach his name has been popping up in several articles and mentioned by several Nevada boosters and fans on various posts and forums, what are the chances he goes if offered?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/campusinsiders.com/news/nevada-coaching-candidate-wish-list-replacements-brian-polian-11-28-2016/amp/?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Since Nevada has fired their head coach his name has been popping up in several articles and mentioned by several Nevada boosters and fans on various posts and forums, what are the chances he goes if offered?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/campusinsiders.com/news/nevada-coaching-candidate-wish-list-replacements-brian-polian-11-28-2016/amp/?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us

It seems like a very logical next step for a very good coach and they'd be lucky to have him. Good place for him to further show his skills and move on to a major program in a few years.

dudeitsaid
November 29th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Seems like one of the more logical places for him to go. I know it's bound to happen one of these years. Hate to see him go, but I'm certain he will do well at the next level.

Red & Black
November 29th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Hopefully we'll consider Troy Taylor if Baldwin moves on.

clawman
November 29th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Hopefully we'll consider Troy Taylor if Baldwin moves on.

Why don't you think he would take him along?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2016, 11:55 PM
Oregon too much of a reach?

dudeitsaid
November 30th, 2016, 12:22 AM

Phil Knight's gonna want a proven commodity at the FBS level. They are willing to pay to dollar, so I doubt they will take the "risk" on an FCS coach.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Phil Knight's gonna want a proven commodity at the FBS level. They are willing to pay to dollar, so I doubt they will take the "risk" on an FCS coach.

I don't disagree, but Chip Kelly was the OC at UNH before being hired as Oregon's OC for two years and then promoted to HC. Hope it doesn't happen and Beau honors his current contract, but I wouldn't fault him if he took an offer.

clawman
November 30th, 2016, 07:00 AM

As the HC, yes. I could see Oregon hiring McElwain and Beau being his OC. Lots of connections in that scenario.

TheKingpin28
November 30th, 2016, 08:38 AM
As the HC, yes. I could see Oregon hiring McElwain and Beau being his OC. Lots of connections in that scenario.

As in Jim McElwain? If he leaves Florida, I would be shocked. They are already paying him a large chunk of change to coach the cake walk side of the SEC with almost guarenteed access to the SEC championship game and nice weather year round. I know he is being rumored for it, but I would think that would be a tough one to pull off.

UNIFanSince1983
November 30th, 2016, 08:43 AM
As in Jim McElwain? If he leaves Florida, I would be shocked. They are already paying him a large chunk of change to coach the cake walk side of the SEC with almost guarenteed access to the SEC championship game and nice weather year round. I know he is being rumored for it, but I would think that would be a tough one to pull off.

Well he is from Missoula and played at EWU. And according to Paul Finebaum he isn't "comfortable" at Florida.

Sure it is the easy side and can be in the SEC championship, but if he doesn't start making the playoff his seat will get really hot really fast. Although they did turn on Helfrich in Oregon quickly too, but if you are used to the Pacific NW then it is easier, and probably still less pressure than Florida has.

Thunderstruck
November 30th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Well he is from Missoula and played at EWU. And according to Paul Finebaum he isn't "comfortable" at Florida.

Sure it is the easy side and can be in the SEC championship, but if he doesn't start making the playoff his seat will get really hot really fast. Although they did turn on Helfrich in Oregon quickly too, but if you are used to the Pacific NW then it is easier, and probably still less pressure than Florida has.

I don't see McEwain's coaching style fitting with the "Oregon Way" aka Phil Knight's plan. I wouldn't think Beau to Eugene is a stretch at all. Look what EWU has done to the Pac 12 teams already. I would think names like Les Miles, Charlie Strong, or Josh McDaniels would pop up just becuase of the "name". I don't see any of them going to Oregon. It will be interesting to see what Oregon does now that Texas and LSU have their guys.

kalm
November 30th, 2016, 08:59 AM
This seems like a possibility, especially if Nevada is willing to make a commitment to spending like CSU did to lure Mac in. It's a program with some recent success and he's already established as a recruiter in Cali. I'd hate to see it, but would be nothing but happy for him.

UNIFanSince1983
November 30th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I don't see McEwain's coaching style fitting with the "Oregon Way" aka Phil Knight's plan. I wouldn't think Beau to Eugene is a stretch at all. Look what EWU has done to the Pac 12 teams already. I would think names like Les Miles, Charlie Strong, or Josh McDaniels would pop up just becuase of the "name". I don't see any of them going to Oregon. It will be interesting to see what Oregon does now that Texas and LSU have their guys.

Baldwin will not be the Oregon head coach next year. And those names are not any of the names mentioned so far. Chip Kelly has been the top name, but I don't see him leaving the NFL. Scott Frost is another intriguing candidate due to his time as the OC there. The Boise coach could be an option after the success Peterson is having at Washington which makes Oregon fans jealous.

Now Baldwin to Nevada sounds like a great logical step. I think he would do well there, and it would get him to the P5 in no time.

JALMOND
November 30th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Baldwin will not be the Oregon head coach next year. And those names are not any of the names mentioned so far. Chip Kelly has been the top name, but I don't see him leaving the NFL. Scott Frost is another intriguing candidate due to his time as the OC there. The Boise coach could be an option after the success Peterson is having at Washington which makes Oregon fans jealous.

Now Baldwin to Nevada sounds like a great logical step. I think he would do well there, and it would get him to the P5 in no time.

Baldwin's name has come up. So has Miles and Strong. Frost's name has been mentioned as well. McElwein has also been mentioned, as well as the coach from Western Michigan, and the coach from Boise. Lane Kiffin has also come up. And some circles have Tony Dungy and John Gruden. With Knight's money to spread around, the list is beginning to read like a Who's Who of big time coaches. Unsure of which are legit and which are pipe dreams at this moment.

Daytripper
December 2nd, 2016, 10:11 AM
Per Footballscoop.com

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Nevada: Sources tell FootballScoop that Nevada considers Vanderbilt offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig a strong candidate for their open head coaching position. ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg is reporting that Eastern Washington’s (FCS) Beau Baldwin is also a candidate. Over the past few days we have also heard Baldwin’s name mentioned as a potential candidate.

PantherRob82
December 2nd, 2016, 10:45 AM
Duplicate thread.

nevadagriz
December 2nd, 2016, 11:00 AM
I hope so. For the first time in twenty years I might root for them and go to a game if they hired Beau. I have alot of issues with wolfpack football.
on a side note I wish hiring did not take place till after the season was completely over. I think it causes issues when a coach is trying to win playoff games and his name is being mentioned for other jobs and his agent is talking to him about contracts and assistants are wondering about their future employment. I also hate that up and coming coaches who get their teams to good bowl games can't coach their team in the bowl game when they take a new job.

Daytripper
December 2nd, 2016, 11:27 AM
Duplicate thread.

My bad. I looked for one and didn't see it.

PantherRob82
December 2nd, 2016, 12:05 PM
My bad. I looked for one and didn't see it.

I wonder if it got moved. Started about two days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I typed "Baldwin Nevada" in the search bar and found it immediately. You must have looked real hard. Ass. xlolx

Daytripper
December 2nd, 2016, 02:51 PM
I wonder if it got moved. Started about two days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I typed "Baldwin Nevada" in the search bar and found it immediately. You must have looked real hard. Ass. xlolx

I just scrolled down the first page of threads.....

tomq04
December 6th, 2016, 09:30 AM
There are a few more confirmations than what we had when this thread started.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/dec/05/eagles-coach-beau-baldwin-interviews-at-nevada/

It should be announced Friday that Coach B will be headed to Reno. Now we just have to win the whole F'n thing.

bobcathpdevil56
December 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Good for Coach Baldwin. My wife graduated from UNR so they are a team I follow. Hopefully, he can bring some success back to that program.

Also, I am sorry, I am not sorry he is leaving Eagles fans

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2016, 09:41 AM
So this presents the same interesting conundrum that NDSU faced in December 2013. Does EWU allow Baldwin to coach out the season or do they let him move on and get started at his new gig immediately? NDSU allowed Wyoming-bound Craig Bohl to stick around and, from what I understood, there were clear divisions in the coaching staff between those who were staying and those who were going with Bohl to the point where each group met separately during coach's meetings. Maybe Baldwin handles it a bit better than Bohl did but you'd have to expect he's taking at least some assistants with him and those guys have to stay on to finish the season.

It's really a crappy deal how the timing of these FCS->FBS coaching moves work during the playoffs.

kalm
December 6th, 2016, 09:41 AM
There are a few more confirmations than what we had when this thread started.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/dec/05/eagles-coach-beau-baldwin-interviews-at-nevada/

It should be announced Friday that Coach B will be headed to Reno. Now we just have to win the whole F'n thing.

Is that just your gut or do you know more than what's in the article?

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Is that just your gut or do you know more than what's in the article?
Agree with Kalm, this is just confirmation he is interviewing. It's almost exactly the same stuff as the articles from Reno. We all know BB would be the best person for that job, but that doesn't mean Nevada will ultimately see it that way.

I am concerned about the distraction it could cause, especially because they want to make the hire to get recruiting going. That seems to imply at minimum, Baldwin himself would have something else on his plate in addition to our playoff preparations. Additionally, since Nevada shares some of the same recruiting footprint, especially in regards to Cali, will we have some of our solid commits flip to Nevada? Are there some that are still in the decision process that will ultimately choose Nevada?

It may not be worth sweating too much about that until it's a done deal. But it won't surprise me at all if it materializes into a departure.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

TheEagleSHSU
December 6th, 2016, 09:52 AM
If true, congrats to BB. EWU will be able to find another stellar coach for that job. Winning program, perennial playoff team, consistent championship contender.

Serpentor
December 6th, 2016, 10:07 AM
So this presents the same interesting conundrum that NDSU faced in December 2013. Does EWU allow Baldwin to coach out the season or do they let him move on and get started at his new gig immediately? NDSU allowed Wyoming-bound Craig Bohl to stick around and, from what I understood, there were clear divisions in the coaching staff between those who were staying and those who were going with Bohl to the point where each group met separately during coach's meetings. Maybe Baldwin handles it a bit better than Bohl did but you'd have to expect he's taking at least some assistants with him and those guys have to stay on to finish the season.

It's really a crappy deal how the timing of these FCS->FBS coaching moves work during the playoffs.

I always think it's a dick move to snatch another team's coach before the end of the season. There's no reason why Tom Herman shouldn't be coaching in Houston's bowl game...

Bison56
December 6th, 2016, 11:39 AM
I always think it's a dick move to snatch another team's coach before the end of the season. There's no reason why Tom Herman shouldn't be coaching in Houston's bowl game...

Its all about recruiting.

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2016, 10:35 PM

I hate that crap also. They shouldnt be allowed to move on till after the bowl season is over. That goes for all teams.

Bisonwinagn
December 6th, 2016, 10:39 PM

Comparing a meaningless bowl game that is nothing more than an exhibition to a playoff run is laughable. Nobody cares about a coach in a bowl game.

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Comparing a meaningless bowl game that is nothing more than an exhibition to a playoff run is laughable. Nobody cares about a coach in a bowl game.

Except for the team he was coaching.

dudeitsaid
December 7th, 2016, 12:00 AM
This seems to be a pretty reasonable update on the situation. Lots of rumors, but I think this accurately portrays how things stand at this point.

I wonder when Norvell is interviewing this week. "Later in this week" seems like it could leave little room for negotiation.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/nevada-wolf-pack-head-coaching-search-candidates-beau-baldwin-andy-ludwig-jay-norvell-brian-polian-fired-120616

NDSUtk
December 7th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Announced this morning that Oregon hired Willie Taggart from USF.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Announced this morning that Oregon hired Willie Taggart from USF.

USF is a pretty good gig these days.

NDSUtk
December 7th, 2016, 06:36 AM
USF is a pretty good gig these days.
Scenery around campus has to be great!

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2016, 08:34 AM

If you read Kolpak's book, it didn't go down like how Bohl wanted, because someone @ Wyoming couldn't wait to blow their load and leak news.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2016, 09:32 AM
If you read Kolpak's book, it didn't go down like how Bohl wanted, because someone @ Wyoming couldn't wait to blow their load and leak news.

If he continues winning at Wyoming they will build a statue of him in Cheyenne. That may be the hardest place to recruit and win in the FBS.

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2016, 09:41 AM
If he continues winning at Wyoming they will build a statue of him in Cheyenne. That may be the hardest place to recruit and win in the FBS.
I'd say if he follows up with a similar winning season next year he'll probably be off to a P5 or premier G5 job. He just signed a 7 year extension at Wyoming but he signed an 8 year extension at NDSU the year before he left.

mango433
December 7th, 2016, 09:41 AM

Cheyenne would be an odd place to build a statue of a coach at the University of Wyoming considering the campus is in Laramie.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Cheyenne would be an odd place to build a statue of a coach at the University of Wyoming considering the campus is in Laramie.

If I don't know where it is, why would a 3-star recruit? That kinda makes my point..xnodx

Bison56
December 7th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Wrong town but yes I get what you are saying and I agree. I always have found it comical how the fans at Wyoming act like they used to be a powerhouse football program.

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Wrong town but yes I get what you are saying and I agree. I always have found it comical how the fans at Wyoming act like they used to be a powerhouse football program.
Well, they are less delusional than Goopher fans. They've actually made a big name bowl (Fiesta in 1976) in the last 50 years.

Thunderstruck
December 7th, 2016, 09:56 AM

I heard it was Bohl's kid who leaked it...?

Bison56
December 7th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Well, they are less delusional than Goopher fans. They've actually made a big name bowl (Fiesta in 1976) in the last 50 years.

But they are 7 time champs.xcoffeex

- - - Updated - - -

I heard it was Bohl's kid who leaked it...?

So what are the odds BB goes to Nevada, anyone know?

Thunderstruck
December 7th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Would Nevada really be a move up in the coaching ranks for Baldwin?
I mean he has an established, well-known, and feared FCS program. Nevada goes undefeated, probably not making the FBS playoff, maybe a nice New Year's Day bowl game, really no chance at a natty. He would get double what he is making now.

slostang
December 7th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I mean he has an established, well-known, and feared FCS program. Nevada goes undefeated, probably not making the FBS playoff, maybe a nice New Year's Day bowl game, really no chance at a natty. He would get double what he is making now.
Triple what he makes now. Also I believe he has his eye on the PAC 12 and it is easier to make the jump from the Mountain West than the Big Sky.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Triple what he makes now. Also I believe he has his eye on the PAC 12 and it is easier to make the jump from the Mountain West than the Big Sky.

A couple of years at Nevada while Taggert flames out in Oregon...he'll be a Duck!

ursus arctos horribilis
December 7th, 2016, 12:48 PM

Let me ask ya this then, if I offered you double, or triple what you make now and you looked around at where you worked versus where the new gig would be and also the later opportunities that would be provided from the new launching pad...what would your decision be?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 7th, 2016, 12:50 PM
A couple of years at Nevada while Taggert flames out in Oregon...he'll be a Duck!

Considering what Oregon likes and so forth he is just a very natural fit there. Something about Baldwin that is tough to find usually. When he gambles (often) he wins that down, quarter, or game. He's just a good, sharp coach that can really motivate players.

Schism55
December 7th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Not only huge increase in salary for him, but huge increase in his assistants pay. Also facilities, have you seen what EWU is trying to pass off for a stadium?

Libertine
December 7th, 2016, 02:45 PM
So what are the odds BB goes to Nevada, anyone know?

5dimes has "BB going to Nevada" as a 1.5-point favorite over "BB going Christmas shopping".* Also, the over/under on sarcastic rejoinders in this thread has been set at 52 1/2. That number is expected to move, however, as the thread is inevitably taken over by all things MVFC.

* = No, they don't.

clenz
December 7th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Considering what Oregon likes and so forth he is just a very natural fit there. Something about Baldwin that is tough to find usually. When he gambles (often) he wins that down, quarter, or game. He's just a good, sharp coach that can really motivate players.
Nevada paid their last coach 578K per year with up to 250K in potential bonuses.

Baldwin makes 212K

It's nearly 3 times the base pay with bonus pay more than he makes now.

Hammerhead
December 7th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Nothing lights up your team's message board like a coach leaving during the playoffs. Bisonville crashed when the Bohl leaving news first hit. :)

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Nothing lights up your team's message board like a coach leaving during the playoffs. Bisonville crashed when the Bohl leaving news first hit. :)
It was down for a long time, too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

clenz
December 7th, 2016, 09:13 PM
That's when NDSU fans came here and wish physical harm, I think one wished for death via plane crash.

Small, small, portion of the fan base, but **** that was a fun few days of trolling.

bonarae
December 7th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Beau is safe...

Jay Norvell will be hired by UNR.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/reports-nevada-to-hire-31-year-offensive-assistant-jay-norvell-as-coach/

dudeitsaid
December 7th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Can't help but feel bad that Baldwin's number still hasn't been called up to an FBS school, but feel great to have the best coach we've had still a part of EWU football.

JALMOND
December 8th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Can't help but feel bad that Baldwin's number still hasn't been called up to an FBS school, but feel great to have the best coach we've had still a part of EWU football.

It was brought up a few times during the Duck search, when no one could really put a reason for the Ducks not to pursue Baldwin, the name Paul Wulff would come up. I felt that was a stretch and I mentioned it as such, but when you are dealing with a fanbase that thinks Western Michigan is FCS and that Baldwin should hold out for a good FCS job first, what are you going to do? After all, Duck fans know everything. I know nothing.

dewey
December 8th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Can't help but feel bad that Baldwin's number still hasn't been called up to an FBS school

Good for Eastern Washington that he didn't get the Nevada job. It makes you wonder why no FBS program is interested in a really consistent winning program.

Dewey

UNIFanSince1983
December 8th, 2016, 07:24 AM
One has to wonder if Baldwin said he wanted to wait until the playoffs were over, and if UNR didn't want to wait that long. Although not to say Norvell isn't qualified he has a long list of places he's been, but I would have thought Baldwin would have been a better choice.

kalm
December 8th, 2016, 08:00 AM
One has to wonder if Baldwin said he wanted to wait until the playoffs were over, and if UNR didn't want to wait that long. Although not to say Norvell isn't qualified he has a long list of places he's been, but I would have thought Baldwin would have been a better choice.

Could be. Beau committed to the team earlier in the week that he would be with them until the end of the season. That might have tipped it in Norvell's favor. If that's the case then good. Beau doesn't want to work for an administration that would require you to do that.

Other openings will come along, perhaps even this year. In the meantime, I hope Beau is able to leverage his position and get serious pay increases for himself and the staff. Beau loves Spokane and if the university/deep pocketed donors could make a big time commitment to facilities and pay I think he could be kept around for awhile similar to a Mark Few on a smaller scale. The cost of living is extremely low compared to most college towns and there's something to be said for stability.

Thunderstruck
December 8th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Let me ask ya this then, if I offered you double, or triple what you make now and you looked around at where you worked versus where the new gig would be and also the later opportunities that would be provided from the new launching pad...what would your decision be?

That's what I was asking, is Nevada (MWC) really that much bigger of a jumping pad than Eastern Washington? I think the perennial Top 6-7 schools are already in the same class has the bottom of the FBS. How many Nevada games were televised nationally, how many for EWU? I do think there are a handful of FCS Head Coaches that could land a lower P5 Head Coaching job, Kansas, Iowa State, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Arizona, Vandy could be HC searching soon.

Yes everyone likes a pay increase :)

clenz
December 8th, 2016, 08:42 AM
That's what I was asking, is Nevada (MWC) really that much bigger of a jumping pad than Eastern Washington? I think the perennial Top 6-7 schools are already in the same class has the bottom of the FBS.
They aren't, and it's not close.

I did a long breakdown last week for another job. I'll track it down.

The lowest paid G5 coach would be the highest paid FCS coach by 75-100K. And that's the bottom of the bottom. That's a 20-25% increase over the top paid FCS coaches.

kalm
December 8th, 2016, 08:52 AM
We were discussing Beau's replacement on the home board and I mentioned former EWU player Jimmy Lake who's the DB coach at the UW. He's now making $500k.

It's gonna be tough for many FCS programs to after FBS assts.

clenz
December 8th, 2016, 08:54 AM
What I posted in the Rocco to UD thread, which turned into UTC's Huesmann taking another job. I edited out some of the mot UTC specific things.

The lowest paid G5 coach is Doug Martin at NMSU at 380K with 135K in potential bonus pay. Only one other coach makes less than 400K, and that's Matt Viator at ULLM at 390K with over 50k is bonuses.

Only 12 schools in America pay less than 500K (before bonuses)

School - base (not adding potential bonus)
Miami (OH) - 472K
UMASS - 470K
EMU - 435K
Ball State -429K
Idaho - 417K
Akron - 413K
BGSU - 410K
Kent State - 407K
Buffalo - 406K
Hawaii - 400K
UL-M - 390K
NMSU - 380K

Look through the conference pays

AAC:
Houston 3m
Cinci 2.2m
Navy 2m
Memphis 1.8m
USF 1.7M
UCF 1.7M
UCONN 1.7M
Temple 1.05m
ECU 1.0m
Tulane isn't disclosed but rumored in 1.7m range
SMU isn't disclosed but rumored in 2.0m range
Tulsa isn't disclosed but rumored in 1.0m range

CUSA
Rice 900K
UTSA 835K
UNT 815K
WKU 806K
MTSU 802K
Marshall 763K
FIU 610K
UNCC 600K
FAU 592K
ODU 555K
UTEP 515K
LU 500K
USM 500K

MAC
Ohio 573K
CMU 546K
MIAMI 472
EMU 434
BALL STATE 425
AKRON 411
BGSU 410
KENT STATE 407
BUFF 406

MT WEST
FSU 156M
CSU 1.5M
BSU 1.3M
WYO 910K
AF 885
UNM 824
SDSU 811
USU 800
UNR 578
SJSU 547
UNLV 510
HAWAII 400

SBC
AR STATE 700
TROY 660
TSU 650
USA 560
GStU 539
ASU 525
GSoU 500
IDAHO 417 (MOVING FCS)
ULM 390
NMSU 376 (GOING INDY)

Average G5 pay is 800K.
Average P5 pay is 3.2m.
NCAA average is 1.9
The lowest paid P5 coach is at 1.4M and that's Minnesota. After that it's Illinois at 1.8, North Carolina at 1.99m and Iowa State at 2m. Oh, and they all have like million dollar plus potential bonus pay.

I'll try to find my list of FCS pay, but I'm thinking there is only 2 or 3 coaches who make 380-390K....

I believe the average for the top 10 FCS coaches is ~300K, if not lower.

Thunderstruck
December 8th, 2016, 09:06 AM
They aren't, and it's not close.

I did a long breakdown last week for another job. I'll track it down.

The lowest paid G5 coach would be the highest paid FCS coach by 75-100K. And that's the bottom of the bottom. That's a 20-25% increase over the top paid FCS coaches.

I agree there is a major pay difference...I was just talking about the actual job and programs.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Good for Eastern Washington that he didn't get the Nevada job. It makes you wonder why no FBS program is interested in a really consistent winning program.

Dewey

Not sure. Maybe the perception from fans and media that an FCS hire is somehow diminished. If you ask me, I think success is more likely with an FCS HC than an FBS coordinator with no HC experience.

Libertine
December 8th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Competitively speaking, there isn't a ton of difference between the upper echelons of FCS and the lower cisterns of FBS. However, aside from the pay difference, low-level FBS is still an upward career move for a coach over FCS, especially if that coach has high-level ambitions. The amount of money being poured into P5 positions requires -- or should require -- that P5 AD's hire a proven commodity and nothing proves that commodity more than experience at another institution, especially if it's one that the big-dollar boosters have actually heard of.

It is extremely difficult for head coaches to jump directly from FCS to P5. I can only think of three guys who have made that leap in the last decade and only one successfully: Mike London = Richmond -->Virginia (27-46 in six years), Paul Wulff = EWU --> Washington State (9-40 in four years) and Jim Harbaugh = San Diego --> Stanford (29-21 there and currently 20-5 at Michigan). Arguably, the most successful FCS head coach in the last ten years was Craig Bohl and the best opportunity that three straight national championships earned him was Wyoming.

dbackjon
December 8th, 2016, 03:49 PM
What I posted in the Rocco to UD thread, which turned into UTC's Huesmann taking another job. I edited out some of the mot UTC specific things.

I'll try to find my list of FCS pay, but I'm thinking there is only 2 or 3 coaches who make 380-390K....

I believe the average for the top 10 FCS coaches is ~300K, if not lower.

And the only reason Illinois' pay is so low right now is that Lovie is still getting paid by the Bears.

NDSUKurt
December 8th, 2016, 04:12 PM
And the only reason Illinois' pay is so low right now is that Lovie is still getting paid by the Bears.

And the Bucs.

dbackjon
December 8th, 2016, 05:50 PM
And the Bucs.

Brain Fart - it is the Bucs that are still paying him.

Red & Black
December 8th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Nevada paid their last coach 578K per year with up to 250K in potential bonuses.

Baldwin makes 212K

It's nearly 3 times the base pay with bonus pay more than he makes now.

Technically incorrect. $212k was the base pay established when his contract was renegotiated 2 years ago, but that contract included a 10k a year increase. So this year his base pay is 232k...in 2019 it will be 262k unless it's renegotiated before then or he moves on.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/29/beau-baldwins-new-contract-worth-212k-year/

dudeitsaid
December 8th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Technically incorrect. $212k was the base pay established when his contract was renegotiated 2 years ago, but that contract included a 10k a year increase. So this year his base pay is 232k...in 2019 it will be 262k unless it's renegotiated before then or he moves on.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/29/beau-baldwins-new-contract-worth-212k-year/

Seems like the incentives aren't as strong as I would expect. I don't know how they compare to many others, but it seems the max in incentives for winning the NC is around 26k, bringing him to 258k this year. It says 2k a round for each round before the semis...what if the first game is a bye? Automatic 2k, or no bonus? In any case, seems like the incentive pay should be bigger IMO.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 9th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I will NEVER see why everyone thinks Baldwin is a coach that an FBS program would want.

Just look at his defenses and pass........the same way Nevada did. He is an OC at best

Red & Black
December 9th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I will NEVER see why everyone thinks Baldwin is a coach that an FBS program would want.

Just look at his defenses and pass........the same way Nevada did. He is an OC at best

Yet he is light years better than anyone Montana has been able to hire since Hauck. Go figure.

Iridebikes
December 9th, 2016, 11:58 AM

I think you need to pay a little more attention. Two years ago Beau replaced his DC and changed the defense. Last year was a tough transition year. THis year the defense has gotten better and better. Gave up a lot of point to very good offensive teams at the start of the season. Held Montana to 17 points in the middle of the year. Only people to score more then 20 on us in last 6 games is Portland State. Last week we gave up 244 yards, total. Beau's a skilled head coach. He's demonstrated that he is willing to make changes as in replacing his DC as well as broaden his resources as evidenced by the hiring of Troy Taylor.

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Yet he is light years better than anyone Montana has been able to hire since Hauck. Go figure.

Light years? The new guy whooped his ass to the tune of 40 points in his first try. xrolleyesx

kalm
December 9th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Light years? The new guy whooped his ass to the tune of 40 points in his first try. xrolleyesx

Now you're sounding like a Cat fan...remember that one year where they beat you guys? :)

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Now you're sounding like a Cat fan...remember that one year where they beat you guys? :)

Pretty small sample size, in any event. xcoffeex

And we'll never know for sure what Pflugrad would have done if not for the JJ mess. But a semi appearance in your second season isn't a bad start.

kalm
December 9th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Pretty small sample size, in any event. xcoffeex.

My point exactly. Thanks for playing along.

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2016, 02:23 PM
My point exactly. Thanks for playing along.

Maybe you should direct your point at R&B, since "any coach since Hauck" is, again, a small sample size. xcoffeexxcoffeex

wrrolling
December 9th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Maybe you should direct your point at R&B, since "any coach since Hauck" is, again, a small sample size. xcoffeexxcoffeex

Ha, small but growing.

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Heh. You said small but growing.

dudeitsaid
December 9th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Well, at least Baldwin was able to parlay the Nevada situation into a better deal with EWU. EWU is finalizing a five year extension for him. Sorry, Big Sky. It looks like the best coach in the conference isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And that means the Eagles aren't going away anytime soon. xhypedxxhypedxxhypedx

Red & Black
December 9th, 2016, 07:21 PM

Yes, light years.

"Baldwin has a 58-14 Big Sky record for a winning percentage of .806 to rank as the fifth-best in league history. His .730 winning percentage overall (84-31) is seventh all-time in the 53-year history of the Big Sky. He is fast approaching the school record of 89 victories by Dick Zornes from 1979-93 during EWU's transition from NAIA to NCAA Division I and the Big Sky.

The Eagles have won 40 of their last 46 Big Sky games since a 0-2 start in 2011. Eastern has won 30 of its last 34 league games, with the lone losses coming against Montana and Portland State in 2015 and Northern Arizona in both 2015 and 2014. Including non-conference victories (two versus MSU and one against Cal Poly) and a playoff win (Montana), the Eagles have won 34 of their last 38 versus conference foes, and are 44-6 since the 0-2 start in 2011.

This is the sixth time Baldwin has taken the Eagles to the playoffs as head coach (2009-10-12-13-14-16), plus two more as offensive coordinator (2004-05). He has coached in a total of 27 postseason playoff games (12 appearances) with a record of 17-9-1, including eight appearances in the FCS Playoffs and two at both the NCAA Division II and NAIA levels when he was at Central Washington."

Red & Black
December 9th, 2016, 07:23 PM

Yes, small sample size...but you can throw Hauck in the mix as well.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Well, at least Baldwin was able to parlay the Nevada situation into a better deal with EWU. EWU is finalizing a five year extension for him. Sorry, Big Sky. It looks like the best coach in the conference isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And that means the Eagles aren't going away anytime soon. xhypedxxhypedxxhypedx
Meh... extensions mean very little. Bohl left the year after singing an 8 year extension at NDSU. Regardless of a raise EWU may give him they still can't compete when FBS suitors come calling.

Schism55
December 10th, 2016, 01:05 AM
Meh... extensions mean very little. Bohl left the year after singing an 8 year extension at NDSU. Regardless of a raise EWU may give him they still can't compete when FBS suitors come calling.
You got close bud, but the extensions mean absolutely naught, will never stop a school from hiring a coach they really want.

dudeitsaid
December 10th, 2016, 01:11 AM

I know that is the case, and still fully expect that day to come when Baldwin moves up and on. But it seems these extensions typically buy us at least another year or two, and I will take every year I can get. That, and I think it signals he isn't making it a high priority to get out of dodge.

Red & Black
December 10th, 2016, 05:52 AM

Yep, agreed. If for nothing else, though, it looks like he'll be HC at EWU next season. Which is a fary cry from how things looked a week ago.