Gage Gubrud (EWU)
Jeremiah Briscoe (Sam Houston)

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20161129142103376066704

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Holy Crap, how did Eli finish 6th?

Thumper 76
November 29th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Three teams I noticed with multiple people on the list: JMU, EWU, and SDSU. Really would like to see any matchup between those three. The scoreboard might break.

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk

Daytripper
November 29th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Three teams I noticed with multiple people on the list: JMU, EWU, and SDSU. Really would like to see any matchup between those three. The scoreboard might break.

If you like breaking scoreboard, you might want to wish for SHSU v. EWU in Frisco. Every offensive record for production and every defensive record for futility could be broken.

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2016, 02:06 PM
If you like breaking scoreboard, you might want to wish for SHSU v. EWU in Frisco. Every offensive record for production and every defensive record for futility could be broken.

You could throw SDSU and JMU into that mix. Both those teams can score with anyone. In fact JMU scored 80 twice this year.

Sammy94
November 29th, 2016, 02:07 PM

Saving that matchup for the Natty :D

Daytripper
November 29th, 2016, 02:10 PM
You could throw SDSU and JMU into that mix. Both those teams can score with anyone. In fact JMU scored 80 twice this year.

True. But to be honest, we could have scored 80 in that many or more if we hadn't pulled the starting offense in the second half in every game.

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2016, 02:12 PM
As for the finalist's I think it makes sense. Those 3 have had outstanding years. I think Briscoe takes it though. His year is just too much to ignore.

jacks10
November 29th, 2016, 02:16 PM
SDSU with 3 of the top 25. Personally, disappointing to not see Jake Wieneke in the top 5. He lead FCS in receiving TD, #6 in receiving yards, and even threw for one TD

Thumper 76
November 29th, 2016, 02:28 PM
SDSU with 3 of the top 25. Personally, disappointing to not see Jake Wieneke in the top 5. He lead FCS in receiving TD, #6 in receiving yards, and even threw for one TD

That's where having three in the running hurts one individual. All three likely lost votes to the others. Plus the argument that one did so well because of the other being on the field, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacked_Rabbit
November 29th, 2016, 02:33 PM
That's where having three in the running hurts one individual. All three likely lost votes to the others. Plus the argument that one did so well because of the other being on the field, etc.

Yeah, it sucks we're so loaded on the offensive side of the ball... xcoolx And we're going to have to deal with having the same problem next year - poor us! These gold bars are too heavy. These diamond slippers are so uncomfortable. Haha

Thumper 76
November 29th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Yeah, it sucks we're so loaded on the offensive side of the ball... xcoolx And we're going to have to deal with having the same problem next year - poor us! These gold bars are too heavy. These diamond slippers are so uncomfortable. Haha

xlolx never said it was a bad problem to have! xlolx

dudeitsaid
November 29th, 2016, 06:28 PM
As for the finalist's I think it makes sense. Those 3 have had outstanding years. I think Briscoe takes it though. His year is just too much to ignore.

Agree with this. I think the media really values SHSU's record and performance, and the vote with two players from the same team will be diluted. Not that he doesn't deserve it more than them. I think all three have had incredible years. Kupp's receiving stats have taken a step backwards, but he's done more in regards to passing, rushing, and maintained a strong presence in the punt return game and all purpose yards.

That being said, to have two players in the top three from the same school...wow! Has that ever happened?

JMUNJ08
November 29th, 2016, 06:45 PM
True. But to be honest, we could have scored 80 in that many or more if we hadn't pulled the starting offense in the second half in every game.

In our games of scoring 80, we had 3rd string RBs with 3 TDs and TEs with zero career scores getting 3 TDs as well. Now, competition was Southland level but we pulled our guys and nearly did a raffle of who from the stands wanted a carry....

Red & Black
November 29th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Kupp will win it, IMO. It will be hard to ignore his versatility (receiving, rushing, passing TD's), but the fact that he broke every Division I receiving record this year will be a little hard to ignore.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Two things I just noticed: despite Chattowns warnings Alejandro Bennefield didn't even crack the top 25. No one from UTC did. Awkward.

Also De'Angelo Henderson at 15? I wonder where he would be if we hadn't held him to 48 yards rushing. xcoffeex

Schism55
November 29th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Kupp will win it, IMO. It will be hard to ignore his versatility (receiving, rushing, passing TD's), but the fact that he broke every Division I receiving record this year will be a little hard to ignore.
Kupp should win it, and hopefully does. But undoubtedly having a teammate in the finals will hurt his chances.

stevdock
November 29th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Saving that matchup for the Natty :D

That's ok you guys think this and fight over who wins this nice award. We're just going to work towards adding to our trophy case too ;) http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23978&stc=1

katstrapper
November 29th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I think this award should be Briscoe's .....

4096 total passing yards 1st in FCS
52 td passes 1st in FCS
7 Ints Thrown (no ranking provided)
67% Comp Pct 5th in FCS
187.0 Pass Efficiency 1st in FCS
9.78 yds per pass attempt 1st in FCS
318 Total Points Resp For 1st in FCS
14.52 yds per completion 7th in FCS
25.64 completions per game 5th in FCS

* His 52 tds are a new SLC single season record. He is only 4 tds shy from the All-Time FCS Record for single season tds thrown of 56.

*Had 5 games of 400+ yds passing in a game
* Had 2 games with 7td passes

I am not saying the two from EWU are not deserving, but I just think Briscoe has really put together a great season. Plus, he has a chance to tie or break the all time FCS record for td passes in a season.

However, aside from all the records and stats....... I would still to this day like to have a National Championship trophy in Hunstville, Tx

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Kupp should win it, and hopefully does. But undoubtedly having a teammate in the finals will hurt his chances.
Him and Gubrud could be Co-winners like they were for Big Sky OPOY. Has the Payton award ever tied?

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2016, 08:25 PM

Thumper has been spending to much time down the rabbit hole

Schism55
November 29th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Him and Gubrud could be Co-winners like they were for Big Sky OPOY. Has the Payton award ever tied?
No co-winners.
However Kupp was first non QB winner since '03.

McNeese75
November 29th, 2016, 11:01 PM

You did not pull the starting offense in EVERY game!!!

fmrbearkat
November 29th, 2016, 11:29 PM
You did not pull the starting offense in EVERY game!!!

Brisco had 40 pass attempts in the 4th qtr for the ENTIRE season. I think the point is made. But yes we did have to keep him in vs McSleeze

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 11:34 PM
Brisco had 40 pass attempts in the 4th qtr for the ENTIRE season. I think the point is made. But yes we did have to keep him in vs McSleeze
40? Do you guys even have a running back?

fmrbearkat
November 29th, 2016, 11:42 PM
40? Do you guys even have a running back?

I'm guessing you mis read that...40 as in - 3.6 pass attempts per game in the 4th qtr.

Jenkins had over 40 in the first 3 games.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 11:53 PM
I'm guessing you mis read that...40 as in - 3.6 pass attempts per game in the 4th qtr.

Jenkins had over 40 in the first 3 games.
Well one of those games was LSU and we were breaking in 6 new receivers. So yeah. We threw a lot.

fmrbearkat
November 29th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Well one of those games was LSU. So yeah. We threw a lot.

No disrespect intended...I was just giving reference.

It just shows how incredible Briscoe season really was. He basically Put those numbers up in 8.5 games.

Nickels
November 30th, 2016, 12:07 AM
No disrespect intended...I was just giving reference.

It just shows how incredible Briscoe season really was. He basically Put those numbers up in 8.5 games.
The high fives to other fans has been exhausting.

grizband
November 30th, 2016, 12:27 AM

52 td passes 1st in FCS
67% Comp Pct 5th in FCS

* His 52 tds are a new SLC single season record. He is only 4 tds shy from the All-Time FCS Record for single season tds thrown of 56.

I am not saying the two from EWU are not deserving, but I just think Briscoe has really put together a great season. Plus, he has a chance to tie or break the all time FCS record for td passes in a season.

However, aside from all the records and stats....... I would still to this day like to have a National Championship trophy in Hunstville, Tx
Impressive stats! Still wish they counted playoff stats before 2003...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CappinHard
November 30th, 2016, 12:28 AM

If you think that's exhausting, put yourself in our shoes having to read your posts.

fmrbearkat
November 30th, 2016, 12:39 AM

High fives??

Nickels
November 30th, 2016, 01:47 AM
High fives??
Yeah. During the touch down celebrations in the stands. Been happening a lot this year.

Nickels
November 30th, 2016, 01:48 AM
If you think that's exhausting, put yourself in our shoes having to read your posts.
It's not nearly as exhausting as the endless MVFC circle jerk.

fmrbearkat
November 30th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Yeah. During the touch down celebrations in the stands. Been happening a lot this year.
Ha...gotcha!!! Mine have gotten kinda leathery. May need a manicure before Frisco xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2016, 05:03 AM
It's not nearly as exhausting as the endless MVFC circle jerk.

they got caught with hands in the cookie jar with all the Illinois state picks over Central Arkansas, just nasty.....

dewey
November 30th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Ha...gotcha!!! Mine have gotten kinda leathery. May need a manicure before Frisco xthumbsupx

It is awfully nice for you guys to be so close so you can come and watch another NDSU national championship win.

Dewey

clawman
November 30th, 2016, 06:56 AM

52 td passes 1st in FCS
67% Comp Pct 5th in FCS

Just imagine the number Kupp and Gubrud could have produced if they played 1/2 of their games against high school competition

kalm
November 30th, 2016, 07:06 AM

52 td passes 1st in FCS
67% Comp Pct 5th in FCS

I think Briscoe gets it but one stat we talked about on this week's FCS Wedge Podcast (shameless plug) was Gubrud's total offense numbers. He leads the nation at 412 yards per game. Briscoe is second at 370. For comparison's sake the Big Sky Record is Jamie Martin at 384 and the Big Sky has had a bunch of great quarterbacks. In this day and age, running is a part of the QB game and should be considered. The level of competition should also be measured. It's not that Briscoe should be dinged for his, but two of Gubrud's best games came against Washington State and NDSU.

I also took a look at the all time FCS single season total offense record and it was Steve McNair at 526. Yes...it was against SWAC competition but still....

Thumper 76
November 30th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Thumper has been spending to much time down the rabbit hole
Yeah, three players on the Peyton award list, one of two teams to score more that 40+ on TCU in regulation, a FBS team that gives up 24 ppg, only team to rush or over 100 yards on NDSU, and is is averaging 37+ ppg against a schedule that includes the #6, #7, #23, and #24 scoring defenses in the country playing three of them on the road. But sure, I'm an idiot and this SDSU team certainly can't be included in the conversation with those other three teams for offensive prowess.

It is awfully nice for you guys to be so close so you can come and watch another NDSU national championship win.

Dewey

Well, I mean if you make it there past Nova/SDSU :D

Thumper 76
November 30th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Oh and I forgot about TC setting the school record for yards passing, Goedert tying the school record for receptions, and Wieneke tying his conference record for TD receptions in the year. Oh and our running back leads the Valley in all-purpose yards per game at 142 ypg. I'm just crazy delusional.....

katstrapper
November 30th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Just imagine the number Kupp and Gubrud could have produced if they played 1/2 of their games against high school competition

Probably the reason SHSU is 7-0 vs Big Sky in playoffs right?

jimbo65
November 30th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I know nothing about the three players voted ahead of Chase Edmonds except for what I read on this board, which is impressive. That said, I do know much about Edmonds having seen him in person on multiple occasions the last three years. Not taking anything away from the three who placed higher but IMO it is unlikely that there are three players better than him at our level.

jmufan999
December 1st, 2016, 12:53 PM
Briscoe's stats are too gaudy, regardless of competition level. He'll win it.

cx500d
December 1st, 2016, 04:41 PM
And the stadium would be 3/4 empty......

milleniumkat
December 1st, 2016, 04:43 PM
Frisco Briscoe!!!!!!

www.MKsavedAGS.com

cx500d
December 1st, 2016, 04:48 PM
Ouch.... Good one!

kalm
December 1st, 2016, 05:00 PM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that's not attendance smack and just an observation...

fmrbearkat
December 1st, 2016, 05:09 PM

We would bring 15,000 fans easy if we could buy the tickets. DFW is a huge alumni hub and we had TONS of pissed off fans because they couldn't get tickets last time.

fmrbearkat
December 1st, 2016, 05:12 PM
Serious question. If the. in the circumstance arise that somebody other than NDSU makes it how will they do tickets?

JSUSoutherner
December 1st, 2016, 05:21 PM
We would bring 15,000 fans easy if we could buy the tickets. DFW is a huge alumni hub and we had TONS of pissed off fans because they couldn't get tickets last time.
You guys can't even fill your 12,000 seat stadium and only managed to get 5,000 people to come see you guys in the playoffs last year.

How exactly does that equate to getting 15,000 fans to travel 3 hours away for a game?

Thumper 76
December 1st, 2016, 05:22 PM

So you would bring double your average attendance? That makes sense and is completely logical.

katstrapper
December 1st, 2016, 05:24 PM
Serious question. If the. in the circumstance arise that somebody other than NDSU makes it how will they do tickets?

You will start seeing them on StubHub if that happens.

Silenoz
December 1st, 2016, 05:25 PM

Say what?

Back when we didn't suck I recall a win

edit: Wait, we had two of them apparently. All the football-caused drinking has bamaged my drain.

Nickels
December 1st, 2016, 05:56 PM
You guys can't even fill your 12,000 seat stadium and only managed to get 5,000 people to come see you guys in the playoffs last year.

How exactly does that equate to getting 15,000 fans to travel 3 hours away for a game?

The same way we get 20k at NRG.

fmrbearkat
December 1st, 2016, 05:57 PM

We have 100,000 plus alumni in dfw. It's a solid 2.5 hr drive and a lot of them won't drive down for a game that would go. The people that would normally go to the game in Huntsville plus with Houston only 4 hours away most of them would make a weekend out of the national championship. We sold our 5,000 allotment in less than a day last time and had at least that many try to get them and turned down.

cx500d
December 1st, 2016, 06:27 PM
Observation. I live ~ 10 miles from Frisco, and have been to every natty played there sans one - yours, which was ~half full.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that's not attendance smack and just an observation...

cx500d
December 1st, 2016, 06:33 PM
I doubt it. I rarely see SHSU stickers on cars here, and the team is barely mentioned in the newspapers here and not at all on the sports portion of the news.

Nickels
December 1st, 2016, 07:04 PM
I doubt it. I rarely see SHSU stickers on cars here, and the team is barely mentioned in the newspapers here and not at all on the sports portion of the news.

Key word is Alumni. We stop putting stickers on our cars when we grow up....Plus there are many bitter lumberjacks around.

fmrbearkat
December 1st, 2016, 07:19 PM
The same way we get 20k at NRG.

Exactly...out of 24-25k at never this year we had 70%. We won't get a lot to Huntsville on a weekend but for special games like reliant and the natty people come out of the woodworks. Doesn't help that the stadium design of bowers hurts the atmosphere there so much. We need a MAJOR stadium renovation but I fear anything major would lead to FBS wastelands.

cx500d
December 1st, 2016, 08:11 PM
Yeah I agree on the stadium. My neighboring town high school (Allen) has a mega stadium that would be the envy of most FCS colleges.

Exactly...out of 24-25k at never this year we had 70%. We won't get a lot to Huntsville on a weekend but for special games like reliant and the natty people come out of the woodworks. Doesn't help that the stadium design of bowers hurts the atmosphere there so much. We need a MAJOR stadium renovation but I fear anything major would lead to FBS wastelands.

katstrapper
December 2nd, 2016, 11:02 AM
Yeah I agree on the stadium. My neighboring town high school (Allen) has a mega stadium that would be the envy of most FCS colleges.

Wait until the new stadium in Katy is finished. I have seen the drawings, I have been on site to see customers. This stadium is going to be insane for a high school stadium.

Until the current Ath Director is gone, don't expect to see any movement on Bowers renovations. Williams is more worried about talking about how long he has been at Sam Houston and commissioners cups, plus he has his little circle and that the only place he goes. He has no vision. He wants to just run things they have always been ran.

Bearkat90
December 2nd, 2016, 01:47 PM

They are there I am just out of the Metro Mess and as said there are over 100k in DFW
Problem on sports coverage in DFW is North Texas SMU, TCU, plus Horns Aggies etc

I will be there in the rain tomorrow but 5k others will chose to watch on ESPN 3

cx500d
December 5th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Wait until the new stadium in Katy is finished. I have seen the drawings, I have been on site to see customers. This stadium is going to be insane for a high school stadium.

Until the current Ath Director is gone, don't expect to see any movement on Bowers renovations. Williams is more worried about talking about how long he has been at Sam Houston and commissioners cups, plus he has his little circle and that the only place he goes. He has no vision. He wants to just run things they have always been ran.

It's obscene what the school districts are building for high schools here. McKinney is starting construction on a $70M stadium, Frisco ISD uses the $1.5B, this right $1.5 Billion cowboys practice stadium for games; the city chipped in $60M and the school district chipped in $30M. It's obscene, and then you have the state university's with crappy facilities with tracks around them. Priorities are upside down

Longhorn
December 5th, 2016, 10:44 PM

Perhaps, until he gets exposed this Friday, if he plays.

Fordhamanhattan
December 6th, 2016, 11:19 AM
It is nice to have tax payer $ for these Taj Mahals

Katfan
December 6th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Perhaps, until he gets exposed this Friday, if he plays.
Not the first time I've heard that this year! But isn't it based on regular season play?