PDA

View Full Version : Tavani Out at Laffy

Pages : [1] 2

bluehenbillk
November 29th, 2016, 01:35 PM
http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/

RedFlash
November 29th, 2016, 01:45 PM
No great surprise. Pretty dismal record since 2010.

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2016, 01:49 PM

Tell your coach to apply.

Lehigh'98
November 29th, 2016, 01:59 PM
This is good news. He had a very good career at Lafayette and had a successful run for about 7-8 years, but its time for a change.

CHIP72
November 29th, 2016, 02:05 PM

Lafayette fans and others who have been paying attention will tell you otherwise.

Incidentally, IMO this move is overdue. Tavani had a good run his first few years at Lafayette, but the Leopards have suffered through 7 straight losing seasons, including 2 really terrible seasons in 2015 and 2016 (3 combined wins).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedFlash
November 29th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Tell your coach to apply.

He'd be a good fit, but I hear he's quite happy where he is. Very little pressure in Loretto and if he can take advantage of their success and get a couple of good recruiting classes, it'll be an easier route to the playoffs then in the PL.

CFBfan
November 29th, 2016, 02:16 PM
carney have you cracked open the single malt yet?!

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2016, 02:17 PM
This is good news. He had a very good career at Lafayette and had a successful run for about 7-8 years, but its time for a change.

Agree, and finally something exciting happening with Lafayette Football. He had a good run for a while, but the program dropped off a cliff when he lost a few key assistants. Appreciate Frank's many years of service. He has been good to the school, and the school good to him, but it was time. Frank will be remembered fondly when the dust settles.

RedFlash
November 29th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Lafayette fans and others who have been paying attention will tell you otherwise.

I was basing that on performance as opposed to the dynamics in play at Lafayette.

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2016, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=RedFlash;2424718]He'd be a good fit, but I hear he's quite happy where he is. Very little pressure in Loretto and if he can take advantage of their success and get a couple of good recruiting classes, it'll be an easier route to the playoffs then in the PL.[/QUOTE

Understood, he is a good one.

LeopardBall10
November 29th, 2016, 02:25 PM
It will be interesting to hear who is interviewed and what the interest is. This is the first real search in the scholarship era.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Just in time for Delaware to hire him..........I'll show myself out. xlolx

citdog
November 29th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Carney where are you?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Carney where are you?

Think he's a little preoccupied right now

http://americansabor.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/gallery_image_detail_medium/images/conga_line-gettyimage_0.jpg

aceinthehole
November 29th, 2016, 03:29 PM
He'd be a good fit, but I hear he's quite happy where he is. Very little pressure in Loretto and if he can take advantage of their success and get a couple of good recruiting classes, it'll be an easier route to the playoffs then in the PL.

I agree, good to hear for SFU fans.

citdog
November 29th, 2016, 03:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJC21zzkwoE

Go...gate
November 29th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Is this official?

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2016, 08:18 PM
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette/index.ssf/2016/11/post_19.html#incart_river_index

RichH2
November 29th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Long long overdo.

Sader87
November 29th, 2016, 09:04 PM
The nightmare in Worcester continues on howevah.....

Schism55
November 29th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Think he's a little preoccupied right now

http://americansabor.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/gallery_image_detail_medium/images/conga_line-gettyimage_0.jpg
Haha! Hot times in Easton PA tonight!

TheValleyRaider
November 29th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Bit surprised this came now, but it seems like the right decision. Tavani did some good things at Lafayette, but it was time for the program to move on. We'll see what kind of direction the school is prepared to go in.

Gilmore is now the longest tenured coach in the PL, at 13 years. Kinda crazy that he's only 4 years behind Tavani's term

Gangtackle11
November 29th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't be a shock if Tavani winds up on Villanova staff. Both Talley & Tavani have long term connection coaching under Bill Russo. New coach Mark Ferrante will need at least 1 coach. All depends if Frank wants to keep coaching or not.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Bit surprised this came now, but it seems like the right decision. Tavani did some good things at Lafayette, but it was time for the program to move on. We'll see what kind of direction the school is prepared to go in.

Gilmore is now the longest tenured coach in the PL, at 13 years. Kinda crazy that he's only 4 years behind Tavani's term

Until today Lafayette has had two coaches since I've been alive and I'm not very young, lol. It's hard to believe Russo retired/resigned in 1999. It doesn't seem that long ago.....

TheValleyRaider
November 29th, 2016, 11:21 PM
Until today Lafayette has had two coaches since I've been alive and I'm not very young, lol.

Same, though I had to look that up, as Tavani predates my time following PL football. If you add in Neil Putnam's 10 seasons (per cfbdatawarehouse), that's 3 coaches at Lafayette since 1971 xeekx

PAllen
November 29th, 2016, 11:54 PM
So, losing games wasn't enough. Mouthing off to the team about how your there for as long as you want gets you fired?

LeopardBall10
November 30th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Wouldn't be a shock if Tavani winds up on Villanova staff. Both Talley & Tavani have long term connection coaching under Bill Russo. New coach Mark Ferrante will need at least 1 coach. All depends if Frank wants to keep coaching or not.

There is not a single coach who has ever worked with Tavani that would want him on their staff. He has never coordinated, does not assist with game planning, has not coached a position in over 15 years, and refuses to fly for recruiting.

And from the stories that everyone tells about the transition to Tavani after Russo it was rough. Tavani was on that staff under Russo. Was named the head coach above the current coordinators. Then promptly fired everyone. There is no love lost between Frank and Talley.

Gangtackle11
November 30th, 2016, 08:29 AM
There is not a single coach who has ever worked with Tavani that would want him on their staff. He has never coordinated, does not assist with game planning, has not coached a position in over 15 years, and refuses to fly for recruiting.

And from the stories that everyone tells about the transition to Tavani after Russo it was rough. Tavani was on that staff under Russo. Was named the head coach above the current coordinators. Then promptly fired everyone. There is no love lost between Frank and Talley.

Good inside PL insight. Always thought Talley liked Tavani.

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Haha! Hot times in Easton PA tonight!

Hot times in Easton? It's all behind closed doors there from my experience.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23981&stc=1

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Now official. And officially Tavani "steps down" after 17 seasons.

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/113016aaa.html

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Good inside PL insight. Always thought Talley liked Tavani.

He is friendly with Frank and probably likes him as a person, but doubt there is much respect there as a coach. Agree that Frank is done as I don't know what possible role he could fill on any staff.

ngineer
November 30th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Morning Call article:http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/mc-lafayette-frank-tavani-resigns-20161130-story.html

ngineer
November 30th, 2016, 10:15 AM

I'dbesurprised.Athisage.Idon'tseehimmovingtoMainLi ne.Hemaydo"consulting".BTW--WHYismyspacebarnotworkingatimesonthissite?????

superman7515
November 30th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I'dbesurprised.Athisage.Idon'tseehimmovingtoMainLi ne.Hemaydo"consulting".BTW--WHYismyspacebarnotworkingatimesonthissite?????

It's a Google Chrome issue. Check the link...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?188070-Quote-function-issue&p=2408365&viewfull=1#post2408365

ngineer
November 30th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks. Now, all of a sudden I don't have the problem as you can see. I've been using Chrome for years without this happening...Gremlins.

ngineer
November 30th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Frank may get a gig helping out a local high school team. Unless he and his wife are in the mood to move. He's been a fixture in the Lehigh Valley a long time.

Fordham
November 30th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Great career even though he hung on too long.

Outstanding move by Lafayette! Excited to see who they hire. Good luck, Pards.

LeopardBall10
November 30th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Frank may get a gig helping out a local high school team. Unless he and his wife are in the mood to move. He's been a fixture in the Lehigh Valley a long time.

I'll also be interested to see the terms of his "retirement". We are all pretty sure that there will be a pay out. But he also has a lot of other perks. I'm sure he'll have to give up his company car. But what about his house? It is college owned. He has been renting that house from the college for 20 years. Now, his wife still works for the school, but if she retires too, do they have to move? Those houses are typically only for college employees.

carney2
November 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Carney where are you?

Had a minor surgical procedure and couldn't get to a computer until now. I am more surprised than anyone. This "job for life" thing had become locked into my thought process. There are reports that he was fired and did not resign. That would agree with his firm Stance and comments after the Lehigh game. Anyway, I did not believe that anyone in the Lafayette community had the stones to get this done. Kudos to whomever. It was long overdue. Some initial thoughts:

Offensive coordinator Mickey Fein has been appointed interim coach. At one time many of us thought of Fein as the head coach in waiting. Most would now agree that if he gets the job ... well, God help us.

Frank's "buyout" is apparently not final yet. Do any of you remember his "they owe me money" rants after the Lehigh game?

At Lafayette everything is done by committee, and the hiring of a new coach will be no exception. Athletic Director, Bruce McCutcheon, will be on that committee and will have undue influence on the final decision. Based on his previous hires he will probably be looking for someone older with head coaching experience. In my opinion, "older" would be a disaster, and "head coaching experience" would not be high on my list of "musts" for a new hire.

Despite the mantra of "all that talent" on the Lafayette board, (again) in my opinion, Frank has left the cupboard pretty much bare. A new coach will instill new life and a positive attitude, but he won't be able to do the blocking and tackling. The road back will be slow and troubled.

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I wish schools would stop referring to a "national search", as if they were already setting up interviews with coaches at Stanford and Florida State.

The search might not even go outside the Lehigh Valley.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2016, 11:37 AM
There is a "palace coup" feeling to all of this. Someone leaked that FootballScoop story before people at Lafayette were ready to announce this national search. Which leads me to believe Fein is the frontrunner, IMO.

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2016, 12:34 PM
There is a "palace coup" feeling to all of this. Someone leaked that FootballScoop story before people at Lafayette were ready to announce this national search. Which leads me to believe Fein is the frontrunner, IMO.

Very much doubt this is the case as it was reported that Mickey and the rest of the staff was out recruiting and had no idea this was coming. Also it does make little sense to fire Frank only to promote an OC who has coordinated a below average offense for the last few years. I think we really need a clean break, and think those in charge realize it as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Very much doubt this is the case as it was reported that Mickey and the rest of the staff was out recruiting and had no idea this was coming. Also it does make little sense to fire Frank only to promote an OC who has coordinated a below average offense for the last few years. I think we really need a clean break, and think those in charge realize it as well.

I defer to your knowledge in this era. Having said that, someone leaked that story. If not a coach, who?

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2016, 12:48 PM
I defer to your knowledge in this era. Having said that, someone leaked that story. If not a coach, who?

It was probably a coach, I agree there. FootbalScoop does not have the same standard as the NYT, but they really only post stuff when heard from a reliable source. Likely one of the assistants told someone, who told the Scoop!

Southsider
November 30th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Phil Stambaugh! Wouldn't that be a hoot!!

Lehigh'98
November 30th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Phil Stambaugh! Wouldn't that be a hoot!!

Cecchini head coach, Stambaugh OC. That would be insane

carney2
November 30th, 2016, 02:14 PM

Finally, a scenario of which I approve.

carney2
November 30th, 2016, 02:15 PM

LFN has morphed into Oliver Stone.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2016, 02:45 PM
What's Harry Armstrong doing these days? He could be an assistant. He did a great job at Riverside HS....

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2016, 02:55 PM
What's Harry Armstrong doing these days? He could be an assistant. He did a great job at Riverside HS....

No longer in coaching as far as I know. He was at Wilkes for a little while after the Riverside fiasco, but is no longer with the program.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2016, 03:18 PM
It's times like these where I'd like to see Bogie come out of retirement to create a P.J. Fleck "Row the Lafayette Boat" graphic. xlolx

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Finally, a scenario of which I approve.

LOL... had me laughing C2... imagine, a QB who can throw for 400 per game and an offense that can hit 600? Dare to dream...

carney2
November 30th, 2016, 06:39 PM
LOL... had me laughing C2... imagine, a QB who can throw for 400 per game and an offense that can hit 600? Dare to dream...

I alternate laughing and crying when I read some of the coaching candidate suggestions on the Lafayette board. I'm praying that those guys aren't on the selection committee.

UNHWildcat18
November 30th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Lafayette must be happy he's gone, embarrassing past 3 seasons.

PAllen
November 30th, 2016, 08:10 PM

I would cry.

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Lafayette must be happy he's gone, embarrassing past 3 seasons.

Yes, but really only 2!

2014 was our typical 5-6 for, but the bottom really fell out.

ngineer
November 30th, 2016, 10:55 PM

They wouldn't dare!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2016, 11:25 PM
I hate to break it to y'all, but my spider sense is telling me Mickey Fein is going to take over.

LeopardBall10
December 1st, 2016, 07:21 AM
I hate to break it to y'all, but my spider sense is telling me Mickey Fein is going to take over.

If that happens...
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/006/997/killit.jpg

ngineer
December 1st, 2016, 11:30 PM

"Fein" by me. From what little I know, Fein is a fine person. But I haven't seen much imagination to his offenses of late. Sometimes you are handcuffed by the personnel you have, though, and it seems to me Laughy has not had great recruiting of recent years. I would think based upon the "malaise" that appears to have set in, that the College would look for an "outsider" who bring new juice to the program.

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2016, 01:09 AM

Hope that Spider Sense is misguided. Best thing LC can do is clean house.

LeopardBall10
December 2nd, 2016, 08:58 AM
Multiple people in the coaching world are telling me that John Troxell at Franklin and Marshall is the front runner. Have not heard if Loose is interested.

carney2
December 2nd, 2016, 01:00 PM
Multiple people in the coaching world are telling me that John Troxell at Franklin and Marshall is the front runner. Have not heard if Loose is interested.

I find this obsession with "hiring within the family" troubling and hope it isn't true. Besides, we are in day three - or is it four? Given the glacial movement of events at Lafayette, it is hard to believe that there is anything approaching a "front runner" yet. In an interview less than two days ago, AD McCutcheon said that he hoped to have someone in place by the beginning of the second semester. He then held open the possibility that it might take longer than that.

citdog
December 2nd, 2016, 01:11 PM
If y'all don't hire Kevin Higgins you should be very upset. I think he sees that the Wake Forest thing is only going to end with the whole staff getting fired and he has had great success in the patsy league before.

carney2
December 2nd, 2016, 01:45 PM
If y'all don't hire Kevin Higgins you should be very upset. I think he sees that the Wake Forest thing is only going to end with the whole staff getting fired and he has had great success in the patsy league before.

Wouldn't that be an amazing turn of events. We'd be in an alternate reality, but it would be a hoot.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2016, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't that be an amazing turn of events. We'd be in an alternate reality, but it would be a hoot.

Citdog lives in an alternate reality, so this makes perfect sense.

citdog
December 2nd, 2016, 03:09 PM

"Hillary In A Landslide"

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2016, 03:10 PM

"Hillary In A Landslide"

xlolx pwned

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2016, 03:20 PM
"Hillary In A Landslide"

* Popular vote

Doesn't matter in regards to the future of our country, of course because Electoral College.

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2016, 05:55 PM

Agree. Higgins would be a tremendous hire for LC.

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2016, 06:54 PM
Pard fans are following closely on the Lafayette Board:

http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/forum1.php

Some pretty bizarre speculation but most think the job will go to somebody with a Lafayette connection. That makes sense; any new coach who does not already "get it" when it comes to Lafayette and the Patriot League would go nuts after about ten minutes on the job. It's a whole 'nother world.

Names most frequently bandied about so far:

John Loose - current DB coach at Army; former Lafayette DC
John Troxell - current HC at DIII Franklin & Marshall; former player and assistant at Lafayette (long touted at the "heir apparent" to Frank Tavani)
Tim Cramsey - current OC at Montana State; former OC at New Hampshire; former player at Central Catholic (Allentown, PA) High School (Cramsey is well known locally)
Damian Wroblewski - current OC at Elon; former OL coach at Rutgers; former Lafayette player
Matt Hachman - current DC at Towson; nine seasons as an assistant at Lafayette
Chris Partridge - current LB/special teams coach at Michigan; former player and assistant at Lafayette

ngineer
December 2nd, 2016, 10:03 PM
Multiple people in the coaching world are telling me that John Troxell at Franklin and Marshall is the front runner. Have not heard if Loose is interested.\

That was my guess a year ago when we were speculating as to whether the Frankasaurus would be leaving. Troxell has been fairly successful at F&M and would seem like a natural fit.

ngineer
December 2nd, 2016, 10:05 PM

Yes, not something I'd care to see...xshakingmadx

ngineer
December 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM
Pard fans are following closely on the Lafayette Board:

http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/forum1.php

Some pretty bizarre speculation but most think the job will go to somebody with a Lafayette connection. That makes sense; any new coach who does not already "get it" when it comes to Lafayette and the Patriot League would go nuts after about ten minutes on the job. It's a whole 'nother world.

Names most frequently bandied about so far:

John Loose - current DB coach at Army; former Lafayette DC
John Troxell - current HC at DIII Franklin & Marshall; former player and assistant at Lafayette (long touted at the "heir apparent" to Frank Tavani)
Tim Cramsey - current OC at Montana State; former OC at New Hampshire; former player at Central Catholic (Allentown, PA) High School (Cramsey is well known locally)
Damian Wroblewski - current OC at Elon; former OL coach at Rutgers; former Lafayette player
Matt Hachman - current DC at Towson; nine seasons as an assistant at Lafayette
Chris Partridge - current LB/special teams coach at Michigan; former player and assistant at Lafayette

Good to see you back, Bogie. I agree that teams such as Lafayette and Lehigh are well served by having someone who understands the culture of the school and the league. Why Coen was hired from Penn. He was an assistant and OC for Higgins in the '90's and knew what he was getting into. Hank Small, who followed Whitehead, had rough time of it despite being touted as an offensive genius. His ignoring the other side of the ball cost us dearly on many occasions and he barely was over .500 in his 8 year tenure. LC has a bigger problem with their culture as I understand the Faculty as a whole (with exceptions) is fairly 'anti-football' or even 'anti-jock'. We have some of that on South Mountain, but not nearly the strength of sentiment. Interesting if Troxell, as Lehigh purloined about 3 of his assistants over the past two years.

LeopardBall10
December 5th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Interesting if Troxell, as Lehigh purloined about 3 of his assistants over the past two years.

I have been talking to a lot of people who seem to think Sutyak would end up at Lafayette as DC if Trox gets it. Not sure who else he would bring on. Loose is the entire opposite way. I could see Loose shunning a guy like Justin Stovall who was a Lafayette captain, 3 time league champion who now coaches at Columbia because he took a job coaching at Lehigh for two seasons.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 5th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Tim Cramsey was at Nevada this season.

http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tim_cramsey_997011.html

aceinthehole
December 5th, 2016, 01:51 PM

And was in the mix for the CCSU job 3 years ago out of Montana State. There will be a lot of "what ifs" happening in New Britain if he takes a FCS head coaching job.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Nevada just let their head coach go....don't know what that means to the status of the staff

Lehigh Football Nation
December 5th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Nevada just let their head coach go....don't know what that means to the status of the staff

Means that Cramsey better get on the phone with Lafayette if he wants a soft landing

ngineer
December 5th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I have been talking to a lot of people who seem to think Sutyak would end up at Lafayette as DC if Trox gets it. Not sure who else he would bring on. Loose is the entire opposite way. I could see Loose shunning a guy like Justin Stovall who was a Lafayette captain, 3 time league champion who now coaches at Columbia because he took a job coaching at Lehigh for two seasons.

Interesting. There has been rumbling for a few years about Lehigh's DC being on his last legs, but still holds on. Wonder if Andy would try an keep Sutyak by promoting. And I remember Stovall coming here a few years ago. Nice 'kid'. Glad to see he's doing okay at Columbia. They're getting competitive.

Bogus Megapardus
December 6th, 2016, 04:52 PM

Yes, my bad. xembarrassedx

Scuttlebutt on the Lafayette Board is that he is interested. Lafayette already gets reasonably decent local, non-alumni attendance (in good years); hiring local prodigy Cramsey might double it.

crusader11
December 6th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Would someone like Chris Pincince be a name that Lafayette is interested in? Current New Haven coach. Played his college ball at Boston U, and was the OC at Holy Cross and Elon -- a brilliant offensive mind.

Bogus Megapardus
December 6th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Would someone like Chris Pincince be a name that Lafayette is interested in? Current New Haven coach. Played his college ball at Boston U, and was the OC at Holy Cross and Elon -- a brilliant offensive mind.

Hmm . . . looks like Pincince also was QB coach at Brown, so he definitely "gets it" when it comes to he PL. Plus, I think Lafayette (and other PL schools) look at UNH experience to be very PL-like (emphasis on academics; national recruiting; odd and unusual budget constraints; northeast sensibilities). He hadn't occurred to me before you brought up his name, but Pincince definitely is worthy of consideration.

Should Gilmore be looking over his shoulder at Pincince as well?

aceinthehole
December 6th, 2016, 05:35 PM

Pincince was in the running to be the Offensive Coordinator at CCSU when Pete Rossomondo took over. Previously he was the OC at Elon and URI. Instead he wound up getting Rossomondo's old job as the head coach at New Haven (D-II).

He went 6-5 in his first season and 7-4 in the next 2 years. He reached the NE-10 championship in his 2nd season. Not a bad resume at all.

LeopardBall10
December 7th, 2016, 08:36 AM

I think that is a decent suggestion, but not one the Lafayette administration would seriously look into. The main thing going for him is that he is the HC at a DII school so Laf may be able to get him as a budget hire, and we all know how Lafayette loves their budget hires.

I have a feeling that everyone interviewed will have strong Lafayette ties (former players and coaches) almost all of which were involved in the 3-peat championship teams together.

carney2
December 7th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I have a feeling that everyone interviewed will have strong Lafayette ties

We keep hearing that. The argument is that anyone taking this job needs to know the Patriot League and, more importantly, the Lafayette anti-athletics culture or they would be candidates to blow their own brains out after being informed. It makes some sense, doesn't it?

On the other hand, someone on the Lafayette board makes the case that a really good year for Lafayette football is somewhere in the 7-4 range. Not a cause for celebration at Colgate, Lehigh, or any school that takes athletics seriously. Also, a prolonged (60+ years) tradition of losing, with no (as in zero) playoff wins. Why then, would anyone in his/their right mind hire someone from this "tradition" to keep things going?!

The only "fact" we have at the moment is that AD Bruce McCucheon is the linch pin of this whole search process. Bruce has shown the rare ability to screw up every wet dream he's ever had. Can we expect better of him this time?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2016, 09:32 PM
At least one of the names I have heard of on Lafayette's list 1) is not to my knowledge "off the Lafayette tree" and 2) is a young coach.

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2016, 06:40 AM
At least one of the names I have heard of on Lafayette's list 1) is not to my knowledge "off the Lafayette tree" and 2) is a young coach.
Can you give us a hint?

carney2
December 8th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Can you give us a hint?

He's probably talking about Tim Cramsey who was QB at UNH and more recently OC at UNH, Montana State and Nevada. The head coach at Nevada has been fired and most assume that Tim is hustling to find a landing spot. He played his high school ball at Allentown (PA) Central Catholic and would be "coming home" if he got the Lafayette job.

LeopardBall10
December 8th, 2016, 07:20 AM
I posed the question on the Lafayette board, but I'll ask it here too. Anyone think the Temple opening will have an affect on the Lafayette job? Is Cramsey someone who might be up for the OC depending on who gets hired? is there anyone who would want Loose as their DC?

PAllen
December 8th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I posed the question on the Lafayette board, but I'll ask it here too. Anyone think the Temple opening will have an affect on the Lafayette job? Is Cramsey someone who might be up for the OC depending on who gets hired? is there anyone who would want Loose as their DC?

I think it does. It'll offer more money, and negate any "coming home" aspect of returning to the Lehigh Valley/SE PA region.

As much as I'd hate to see it, I'm shocked you guys aren't talking to a certain HC at Valpo.

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2016, 12:44 PM

Thinking Drew Folmar. Already a head coach at Kutztown for a minute, and has done an admirable job with the Lehigh offense. Drew doesn't seem to move around a lot geographically, and I think would want to be a head coach (again).

Can be Cramsey too of course, who I believe would still be very interested.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Thinking Drew Folmar. Already a head coach at Kutztown for a minute, and has done an admirable job with the Lehigh offense. Drew doesn't seem to move around a lot geographically, and I think would want to be a head coach (again).

Can be Cramsey too of course, who I believe would still be very interested.

It is not Drew Folmar. It is someone with Ivy League connections.

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Perry from Princeton is the only other person that comes to mind, but probably not him either.

carney2
December 10th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Just attempting to keep this "story" near the front end of the AGS threads. There are all kinds of reports on The Lafayette board about "front runners" and the like for the job. Just so many unfounded rumors and so much fake news. No one has any real information and we will know when we know. The intriguing part of the rumor mill is that a consultant or search firm has been engaged to aid in the search. Many seem to confuse this with the consultants who have been hired to review the sordid mess that is Lafayette athletics and make recommendations about competitiveness. It is unlikely that they are involved in the search for a new head football coach. They were engaged before Tavani was released and, to the best of anyone's knowledge, it is not part of their mission. If however, a separate paid professional search has begun to fill the coaching vacancy, that may put a whole new spin on all the rumors. It would be unlikely that a search firm would be charging ahead to find only candidates with a Lafayette connection. They would be casting a much broader net.

Bogus Megapardus
December 10th, 2016, 09:58 AM
You mean the "MikiLeaks" scandal? Rumor that Mickey Fein is a shoo-in seems to have died as quickly as it arose.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2016, 11:09 AM
It is not Drew Folmar. It is someone with Ivy League connections.

Folmar stays one more year. He knows what's coming back. Ride that for one more season then take a FCS HC position. He'll do better than Cech in terms of job quality with his experience, and success, at the D2 level. He's a legit coach.

ngineer
December 10th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Folmar stays one more year. He knows what's coming back. Ride that for one more season then take a FCS HC position. He'll do better than Cech in terms of job quality with his experience, and success, at the D2 level. He's a legit coach.

Very interesting. While I agree that Folmar would certainly love to ride what we have coming back next year on offense, windows only happen every so often if you have a particular focus, i.e. wanting to stay in the general Lehigh Valley region. Folmar has invested a lot of time in the prepping of Mayes and I assume would love to see his prize student really take off next year. But, then, again, if opportunity knocks...If that would happen, would be interesting to see if Stambaugh would make interested, again. He interviewed for the OC job when Andy hired Folmar. Lots of easy speculation opportunities this time of year.

carney2
December 12th, 2016, 08:46 AM
The rumors are getting warmer that Lafayette is using a search firm/headhunter/whatever to beat the bushes for a new football coach. As I stated before, to me this is good news. Someone like this would not limit himself to looking at only candidates with Lafayette connections. If the culture is bad - and it is - and you need to put a dent in it with this hire, why would you get someone who "understands" it and sees it as part of their background?!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2016, 10:18 AM
The rumors are getting warmer that Lafayette is using a search firm/headhunter/whatever to beat the bushes for a new football coach. As I stated before, to me this is good news. Someone like this would not limit himself to looking at only candidates with Lafayette connections. If the culture is bad - and it is - and you need to put a dent in it with this hire, why would you get someone who "understands" it and sees it as part of their background?!

In my extremely limited visibility on the matter, this is my impression as well.

Bogus Megapardus
December 12th, 2016, 01:28 PM

In my extremely limited visibility on the matter, this is my impression as well.

You don't need an insider but you can't bring in somebody who is so at odds with Patriot League "culture" that he would be a failure from the get-go. Any new coach has to accept the Academic Index, that Lafayette doesn't have majors designed for athletes, and that football players go to class and graduate as scientists and engineers. That's not going to change, and it's going to be a deal-breaker for many good Head Coach candidates.

citdog
December 12th, 2016, 01:32 PM
You don't need an insider but you can't bring in somebody who is so at odds with Patriot League "culture" that he would be a failure from the get-go. Any new coach has to accept the Academic Index, that Lafayette doesn't have majors designed for athletes, and that football players go to class and graduate as scientists and engineers. That's not going to change, and it's going to be a deal-breaker for many good Head Coach candidates.

Pretty sure y'all have some majors that end in "Studies" so you do have ready made athlete majors...

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Pretty sure y'all have some majors that end in "Studies" so you do have ready made athlete majors...

Not on this list.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/PLFBAcademicHonorRoll.pdf

citdog
December 12th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Not on this list.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/PLFBAcademicHonorRoll.pdf

"Gender Studies" etc etc

Here is the pride of the georgetown faculty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7HekRYdJBo

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2016, 02:43 PM
"Gender Studies" etc etc
Here is the pride of the georgetown faculty

Georgetown awarded 6,175 degrees in 2015. Seven were for women's studies, and none were athletes. Next topic.

Go...gate
December 12th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Let's face it, one of the really good things about I-AA/FCS in general is that the student-athlete is much more likely to be a "STUDENT-athlete".

Most team members in any sport are aiming to get their degree and either go to work in a chosen field or to graduate/law/business/medical school.

Go Green
December 12th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Seven were for women's studies, and none were athletes. .

Not even female athletes?

Bogus Megapardus
December 12th, 2016, 04:32 PM

LC doesn't even have a "Management" or a "Finance" major. It's either classical economics, or mathematics - those are your choices.

Go...gate
December 12th, 2016, 04:46 PM
LC doesn't even have a "Management" or a "Finance" major. It's either classical economics, or mathematics - those are your choices.

Same at Colgate.

Gate83
December 12th, 2016, 05:35 PM

However, Citdog isn't wrong that the "studies" majors have crept in at our lefty Northeastern schools. Gate has Women's Studies, Peace & Conflict Studies, Educational Studies majors... bet all the PL schools have similar stuff. I hear Educational Studies is popular amongst the athletes. Go figure...

BucBisonAtLarge
December 12th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Bucknell just opened an undergrad School of Management. Let that recruiting bonanza begin.

Bogus Megapardus
December 12th, 2016, 06:05 PM
However, Citdog isn't wrong that the "studies" majors have crept in at our lefty Northeastern schools. Gate has Women's Studies, Peace & Conflict Studies, Educational Studies majors... bet all the PL schools have similar stuff. I hear Educational Studies is popular amongst the athletes. Go figure...

You can get a combined Engineering (B.S.) and International Studies (A.B.) degree at LC. Does that count?

Bogus Megapardus
December 12th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Bucknell just opened an undergrad School of Management. Let that recruiting bonanza begin.

Will successful graduates finally be able to find Lewisburg on a map?

citdog
December 12th, 2016, 06:55 PM
"STUDENT-athlete". .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdc0u7fDwE8

Go...gate
December 12th, 2016, 07:12 PM

Colgate always offered an "Education" major, as well as a Master of Arts In Teaching. I did not realize they had added "Educational Studies". What is the difference?

Colgate's "Peace and Conflict Studies" major dates to 1970. My late brother, who majored in Economics, took courses in that program, which was (and remains) quite good and nationally respected. They also had an off-campus study group, though I don't know if they still do.

I don't remember when the "Women's Studies" major was created, but my recollection is the mid 1980's. It is also well respected.

PAllen
December 12th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Colgate always offered an "Education" major, as well as a Master of Arts In Teaching. I did not realize they had added "Educational Studies". What is the difference?

Colgate's "Peace and Conflict Studies" major dates to 1970. My late brother, who majored in Economics, took courses in that program, which was (and remains) quite good and nationally respected. They also had an off-campus study group, though I don't know if they still do.

I don't remember when the "Women's Studies" major was created, but my recollection is the mid 1980's. It is also well respected.

No "Women's/African American/Minority Studies" degree is well respected.

citdog
December 12th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I did not realize they had added "Educational Studies". What is the difference?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nskDZCWui20/hqdefault.jpg

"Peace and Conflict Studies" had an off-campus study group, though I don't know if they still do.

http://www.campusreform.org/img/CROBlog/5103/ayersgettysburg.jpg

"Women's Studies" major

http://data.whicdn.com/images/92555931/original.jpg

Sader87
December 12th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Well, at least the Masses aren't said in Latin anymore on Mt St James.......xdrunkyx

Go...gate
December 12th, 2016, 07:58 PM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nskDZCWui20/hqdefault.jpg

"Peace and Conflict Studies" had an off-campus study group, though I don't know if they still do.

http://www.campusreform.org/img/CROBlog/5103/ayersgettysburg.jpg

"Women's Studies" major

http://data.whicdn.com/images/92555931/original.jpg

Damned if I know!

Go...gate
December 12th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Well, at least the Masses aren't said in Latin anymore on Mt St James.......xdrunkyx

Yes, but the church has made more than a few of us really feel ancient by bringing back some of the old responses at Mass, such as substituting "And With Your Spirit" for "And Also With You". I feel like it is 1966 again.

CHIP72
December 12th, 2016, 09:31 PM

I know personally I enjoy women's studies...

;) :D

Gate83
December 12th, 2016, 10:14 PM
I know personally I enjoy women's studies...

;) :D

... but probably not with women's studies majors.

carney2
December 13th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Someone "at odds with Patriot League 'culture'" wouldn't take the job and probably wouldn't even take the time and trouble to interview. As for academics and the AI, the Patriot League may not be at the top of the FBS food chain, but it's not a total unknown to coaches across the land. Anyone who accepts a head coaching position in the League pretty much knows what he's getting into. It's the Lafayette-exclusive baggage that I'm talking about. You know, the self-serving LGBT chant that comes from AD McCutcheon's boss and others, and the "win, but don't embarrass us by winning too much" nonsense. The right hire would recognize it for the bull***** that it is and sail right by it without giving it a nod.

PAllen
December 13th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Yes, but the church has made more than a few of us really feel ancient by bringing back some of the old responses at Mass, such as substituting "And With Your Spirit" for "And Also With You". I feel like it is 1966 again.

I still say "and also with you". But then again, I'm not catholic, my wife is. I also finish the lords prayer. My wife chuckles or gives me the evil eye depending on her mood that day, but I do it quietly so no one cares but my daughter.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Do I really need to post back-of-the-napkin odds on LFN as to who Lafayette might hire? I could probably come up with six names.

One name that maybe should get some play, but I haven't seen anywhere, is Muhlenberg's Mike Donnelly. He is not young (60s) but he's been extremely successful there, and has Lafayette ties to boot.

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Do I really need to post back-of-the-napkin odds on LFN as to who Lafayette might hire? I could probably come up with six names.

One name that maybe should get some play, but I haven't seen anywhere, is Muhlenberg's Mike Donnelly. He is not young (60s) but he's been extremely successful there, and has Lafayette ties to boot.

Most on the LC board have ruled out Donnelly (while recognizing is accomplishments).

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2016, 09:54 AM

He is a very good coach, but difficult to hire a 63 year old who had spent the last 20 years as a D3 head coach.

I have the feeling your six names may not be very accurate!

CFBfan
December 13th, 2016, 11:32 AM
He is a very good coach, but difficult to hire a 63 year old who had spent the last 20 years as a D3 head coach.

I have the feeling your six names may not be very accurate!

and if LC and the PL doesn't employ HC's who know who to recruit D1 scholarship players the league will sink

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2016, 01:15 PM
and if LC and the PL doesn't employ HC's who know who to recruit D1 scholarship players the league will sink

Division I scholarship recruiting experience is listed as one of the requirements in the "official" job posing.

carney2
December 13th, 2016, 01:33 PM

The word on the Lafayette board is that Lafayette has definitely hired a "search firm" to round up candidates for the head coaching job. If true (everything on that board is best classified as a rumor these days), all bets are off on coaching candidates.

Go Green
December 13th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Division I scholarship recruiting experience is listed as one of the requirements in the "official" job posing.

Ivy need not apply? :(

Go...gate
December 13th, 2016, 09:41 PM
Ivy need not apply? :(

I think if a Teevens, Murphy, Surace or Bagnoli wanted the job they would get it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 13th, 2016, 09:45 PM
John Garrett is in play here.

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2016, 09:54 PM

Didn't his brother fire him in Dallas?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 13th, 2016, 09:58 PM
I havent read nor written his wiki page. i am just passing along information.

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I havent read nor written his wiki page. i am just passing along information.

I'm certain he'll get a hard look if he's interested.

LeopardBall10
December 14th, 2016, 07:29 AM
The search committee has been reaching out to a large number of candidates for interviews. We have a confirmation of one interview scheduled for tomorrow, but I would think that with the volume of candidates there is going to be more than one interview this week. This is a big time departure from the norm for Lafayette, and has the potential to be a program/departmental shifting move.

Go Green
December 14th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I think if a Teevens, Murphy, Surace or Bagnoli wanted the job they would get it.

Teevens and Murphy have DI scholarship experience. The other two don't.

That being said, very doubtful any of them would be interested. I've known PL head coaches interested in Ivy head jobs, but not the other way around.

centraljerseycat
December 14th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Why would they want the job? Is Ivy League head coach pay that bad?

carney2
December 14th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Why would they want the job? Is Ivy League head coach pay that bad?

C'mon, it was a tongue in cheek response to Go Green's "Ivy need not apply?" comment which, I assume, also had some tongue in it. Lafayette has traditionally turned cartwheels over coaches with Ivy backgrounds.

carney2
December 14th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Personally I am very encouraged by the latest "insider information" on the Lafayette board that the search committee is going in a different direction from the previous guesses that were overloaded with candidates with Lafayette connections. Cut the freakin' cord!

Fordham
December 14th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Personally I am very encouraged by the latest "insider information" on the Lafayette board that the search committee is going in a different direction from the previous guesses that were overloaded with candidates with Lafayette connections. Cut the freakin' cord!

It's your first search since scholarships started. As many challenges as you guys have in terms of administrative support and academic requirements, there simply are not that many DI head coaching jobs available. Looking at the facilities and the ability to walk into a recruit's home and offer them a full ride to Lafayette is amazing and I think most coaches looking to move up believe they can not just win there but have a shot to make a big splash.

I think we were amazed after Masella left at how much interest there was in the job at Fordham. There were guys who were pissed off at the fact that Foley was fired who said they would never come back to Fordham under any circumstances, who were begging for a shot at it a few years later after scholarships were introduced. If you guys truly have an outside search firm I think you'll be extremely pleased with the results. There's too many strong candidates out there and too few opportunities like LC imo.

Good luck and enjoy this.

Franks Tanks
December 14th, 2016, 10:00 PM
It's your first search since scholarships started. As many challenges as you guys have in terms of administrative support and academic requirements, there simply are not that many DI head coaching jobs available. Looking at the facilities and the ability to walk into a recruit's home and offer them a full ride to Lafayette is amazing and I think most coaches looking to move up believe they can not just win there but have a shot to make a big splash.

I think we were amazed after Masella left at how much interest there was in the job at Fordham. There were guys who were pissed off at the fact that Foley was fired who said they would never come back to Fordham under any circumstances, who were begging for a shot at it a few years later after scholarships were introduced. If you guys truly have an outside search firm I think you'll be extremely pleased with the results. There's too many strong candidates out there and too few opportunities like LC imo.

We have a supposed mole on the Lafayette board, and he reports that John Troxell and Keith Clark will be interviewing soon.

Both guys are Lafayette grads. Troxell coached at Columbia and Lafayette and has been the head coach at F&M for 10 years. Keith Clark has been in the Ivies for many years in a variety of positions like OC and OL coach at Dartmouth and OL and Associate HC at Yale. Both guys seem to be very smart and measured guys who are good leaders, but perhaps not the most exciting/dynamic picks. I know Troxell, but not Clark. Trox is an incredibly good guy who is very well liked by a lot of former players. Other guys with Lafayette connections, who some thought would be getting a close look, reportedly have not been offered an interview. We also have at least one very serious candidate who has absolutely no ties to the PL or Ivy league in any manner according to our source.

Agree that HC jobs in the PL are good jobs and should and will draw significant interest from really solid candidates. Our administration seems to be taking this search seriously, and seem to understand a real coach needs some assurances that they will be supported to a realistic and proper degree.

LeopardBall10
December 15th, 2016, 07:39 AM

I definitely don't think the amount of interest has surprised me, but the way the administration is handling it is a far departure from the norm. Before this I don't think any of us Leopard fans would have trusted our AD to make a decision on what to eat for dinner let alone lead a hiring committee for a high profile position. But he may have surprised us by hiring a search firm (a first for Lafayette) and reaching out to non-connected candidates, and interviewing a lot of them. I may be setting myself up, but the process so far has me feeling hopeful.

carney2
December 15th, 2016, 01:08 PM
The Lafayette search has slowed down now that Lane Kiffin has slipped through their net.

Bogus Megapardus
December 15th, 2016, 01:22 PM
The Lafayette search has slowed down now that Lane Kiffin has slipped through their net.

I, for one, am allowing Bruce McC & company the time and space to surprise us pleasantly. Or at least non-threateningly.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 15th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I, for one, am allowing Bruce McC & company the time and space to surprise us pleasantly. Or at least non-threateningly.

All I'm asking is don't do a Jerry Falwell, Jr. and have Art Briles walk through that door. You're better than that.

carney2
December 15th, 2016, 03:38 PM
All I'm asking is don't do a Jerry Falwell, Jr. and have Art Briles walk through that door. You're better than that.

I have been watching this sadass program for decades and am so freakin' tired of the endless losing that I will accept Lucifer "Luke" Beelzebub Hitler if he can win football games.

Bogus Megapardus
December 15th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Latest rumor is that U-T Chattanooga OC Jeff Druden is being interviewed today.

One of the Pard faithful from the Lafayette board actually is doing live reporting from outside the Lafayette Room at the Hotel Bethlehem, where the interviews supposedly are taking place.

Schism55
December 15th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Latest rumor is that U-T Chattanooga OC Jeff Druden is being interviewed today.

One of the Pard faithful from the Lafayette board actually is doing live reporting from outside the Lafayette Room at the Hotel Bethlehem, where the interviews supposedly are taking place.
That's dedication holmes xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 15th, 2016, 05:43 PM
I've gotta say, Chatty OC Jeff Durden is a name that is way, way, way outside the box that I would have expected for Lafayette.

Franks Tanks
December 15th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I've gotta say, Chatty OC Jeff Durden is a name that is way, way, way outside the box that I would have expected for Lafayette.

Also Perry from Princeton and Charles Huff from Penn State. Huff is young and a very good recruiter. We all know about Perry.

After watching our sorry a$$ offense for about 6 years now, I am very intrigued by high quality OC's like Perry and Durden. John Garrett is also in the mix but that sounds super boring.

Bogus Megapardus
December 15th, 2016, 06:11 PM

Me too. But he's been at James Madison and VMI in addition to U-T Chattanooga so he really knows FCS recruiting. It seems to make sense in that regard.

moccasinjoe
December 15th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Me too. But he's been at James Madison and VMI in addition to U-T Chattanooga so he really knows FCS recruiting. It seems to make sense in that regard.
I think Durden would be a great hire. He has done very well with our offense. Was hoping we might interview him as a replacement for RH, but maybe they are going a different direction.

Go...gate
December 15th, 2016, 07:02 PM
I have been watching this sadass program for decades and am so freakin' tired of the endless losing that I will accept Lucifer "Luke" Beelzebub Hitler if he can win football games.

LOL!!!

Bogus Megapardus
December 15th, 2016, 07:14 PM
I think Durden would be a great hire. He has done very well with our offense. Was hoping we might interview him as a replacement for RH, but maybe they are going a different direction.

Thanks moccasinjoe. Any other insights on Druden? What to the players think of him?

citdog
December 15th, 2016, 07:40 PM
I often wonder why nobody in the patsy league runs the option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfFfvAf4qMA

Franks Tanks
December 15th, 2016, 08:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfFfvAf4qMA

Bucknell did a while back under their previous coach, and the Colgate offense is largely run based. But yes nobody runs a Citadel/Chatty/Chuck South type modern option offense. Would be different and potentially a good contrarian play.

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2016, 08:19 PM

Georgetown tried it, albeit a predictable outcome, about a decade ago.

Bogus Megapardus
December 15th, 2016, 09:19 PM
If the Pards could get basketball HC Fran O'Hanlon to coach up the backfield with his insanely intricate ball handling techniques, the triple option could become a fan favorite in Pardsville. Just not too much - we've always had a big play offense with some terrific passing QBs.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-14AAOxyY3ZRk7bG/s-l300.jpg

ngineer
December 15th, 2016, 10:50 PM
The triple O also requires a certain type of athlete, so recruiting to the system would take a few years, but if one can execute with precision it can be effective. Question is whether the LC faithful would like the "cloud of black beads" approach. Of course, if it brings 8-11 wins a year,....I fully think LC needs to cut the cord and go "outside the box" on this pick, if they want to generate excitement and send a message that they want to get to another level. Another question some of the "outsider" candidates must answer is their understanding of the academic index and different requirements the PL requires, along with the no-red shirt rule.

Go...gate
December 15th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Colgate ran elements of the Triple Option in Ryan Vena's time.

Many years ago, between 1971 - 76, Colgate had a very productive offense using the Triple Option with QBs Tom Parr and Bruce Basile and FBs Mark VanEeghen and Pat Healy and RB/WB Henry White.

LeopardBall10
December 16th, 2016, 07:13 AM
The triple O also requires a certain type of athlete, so recruiting to the system would take a few years

Yes, that transition would definitely take a lot more time. Can you imagine the big slow bumbling O-Line we currently have trying to run the triple? Yikes. Perry is the most innovative offensive mind I have seen, it doesn't always make sense and can feel gimmicky at times but it is entertaining. And I don't know much about Huff or the others.

But if this is an example of the quality candidates who want the scholarship Lafayette job, warts and all, then the PL is going to be just fine. Moorehead may not be an outlier.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2016, 07:51 AM
The triple O also requires a certain type of athlete, so recruiting to the system would take a few years, but if one can execute with precision it can be effective. Question is whether the LC faithful would like the "cloud of black beads" approach. Of course, if it brings 8-11 wins a year,....I fully think LC needs to cut the cord and go "outside the box" on this pick, if they want to generate excitement and send a message that they want to get to another level. Another question some of the "outsider" candidates must answer is their understanding of the academic index and different requirements the PL requires, along with the no-red shirt rule.

These are not the triple option wishbone offenses popular 40 years ago. It's the stuff ran by guys like Mike Houston and Willie Fritz and Chadwell and Gus Malzan. Snaps out of the shotgun, plenty of motion and fakes in the backfield and plenty of play action passing as well. Agree our personnel would need to be adjusted, but it could be done.

Coaches interviewing are no doubt familiar with the rules of the league. College football coaches know the landscape extremely well.

carney2
December 16th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Another question some of the "outsider" candidates must answer is their understanding of the academic index and different requirements the PL requires, along with the no-red shirt rule.

We keep hearing this crap that "outsider" hires will be shocked and dismayed by the Patriot League's academic and other rules such as no red shirting. We also hear that an "outsider" will run back home when he gets his first whiff of the Lafayette anti-athletics culture. Again, I say BULLFREAKIN"****!!!!! This is the 21st century and anyone interviewing for a coaching job in the Patriot League knows the lay of the land - in detail - going in the door. Not an issue in any way. If he shows up for the interview he has reconciled himself to the fact that he can live with it and thinks he can make chicken soup out of this mess.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Huff from PSU is an ace recruiter, but has never been an OC or DC at any level. He was the lead recruiter for many of PSU's big time recruits such as All American RB Barkley and 5 star Miles Sanders. He is only 33 and connects extremely well with young AA student athletes. It would be a bit outside the box. This guy would bring tremendous enthusiasm and be great in recruiting, but I would be very interested in how he would fill a staff and his schematic preferences.

Garrett is a solid coach but is super boring and kinda dorky. I'm sure he is competent, but not really inspiringly. Actually Bruce will probably love him!

I still like guys who are past sucessful OC's since I think offense is hardest to get right, and ours has been so brutal. I am frankly not a huge fan of the Princeton offense, but I respect the creativity and how well coached it has been. Perry is also young and dynamic and really think he would do well. I also like the guy from Chatty the more I head about him. Very well respected OC at the best programs in the FCS for more than 10 years. I love his offense and he knows how to win at this level.

Bogus Megapardus
December 16th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Garrett is . . . super boring and kinda dorky . . . actually Bruce will probably love him!

Heh. Nailed it! xnodx

Jerry Jones wears his brother like a fashion accessory. Maybe Bruce could train Garrett like a Pomeranian.

carney2
December 16th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I should have learned to control my emotions by now after all these decades of losing and disappointment, but I am more than a little encouraged by what I'm seeing in the search process. The search seems to be concentrating outside of the Lafayette "family," and I see that as a good sign. In addition, most of the rumored candidates have an offensive background. Still won't be able to stop that Colgate two back set, but may, someday, be able to outscore it. Oh, to dream ...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 16th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I should have learned to control my emotions by now after all these decades of losing and disappointment, but I am more than a little encouraged by what I'm seeing in the search process. The search seems to be concentrating outside of the Lafayette "family," and I see that as a good sign. In addition, most of the rumored candidates have an offensive background. Still won't be able to stop that Colgate two back set, but may, someday, be able to outscore it. Oh, to dream ...

If you get Perry, you might be able to also dream about your 5th-ever win vs. Princeton, too.

Bogus Megapardus
December 16th, 2016, 11:50 AM
If you get Perry, you might be able to also dream about your 5th-ever win vs. Princeton, too.

Thank you, to the infinitive-splitting LFN for the back-handed note of encouragement. xpeacex

Lehigh'98
December 16th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Who is recruiting for Lafayette right now? Fein?

carney2
December 16th, 2016, 12:38 PM

Lots of discussion about that. Fein is the "interim coach" and is charged with the responsibility. The others are supposedly also on the recruiting trail. I doubt if it makes much difference at this point. The new guy will have to deal with whatever Frank left in the cupboard. And, in my opinion, it isn't much.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2016, 12:41 PM

The entire staff is still employed and are doing what they are supposed to be doing. The new head coach will decide who to retain, but until they are fired they are recruiting.

Bogus Megapardus
December 16th, 2016, 01:04 PM

Nobody is. The "dead period" begins Monday and lasts until January 4. Coaches can't visit on the road or on campus.

superman7515
December 16th, 2016, 01:25 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-14AAOxyY3ZRk7bG/s-l300.jpg

New York Times - September 30, 1989: Trying to Fulfill Some High Expectations

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/30/sports/trying-to-fulfill-some-high-expectations.html

The season began with so much expectation and flair, and perhaps too much promise. There was Frank Baur from little Lafayette College on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

The Giants were sending pro scouts to watch the quarterback. The Leopards, behind Baur's passing, had set the Colonial League on fire last season. The lanky senior with the size 15 feet would surely keep the flame alive. But Bill Russo, the Lafayette coach, was worried. ''We won't be able to sneak up on anyone this time,'' Russo said. ''There won't be games where we coast home after grabbing a big lead. We'll have to count on defense and beat people in a 60-minute game.'' What's Gone Wrong? Lafayette did not beat Penn last Saturday, nor Holy Cross the week before. The Leopards will face Columbia (0-2) at home this afternoon with a 1-2 record. Much has gone wrong with the team, Baur included. The offensive line let him down against Penn; Baur was sacked six times. Twice he fumbled and the Quakers recovered to score touchdowns in a 25-12 decision.

''I feel frustration, but no pressure right now,'' Baur said recently by telephone from Easton, Pa. ''The offense is struggling. It's not just me. If the offensive line doesn't work well, then I really can't do anything. I think we got the idea we can win by just showing up. We found out that's not how it is.''

Late in the Holy Cross game, Baur forced a pass, which was intercepted. The turnover led to a Crusader field goal that won the game, 23-21.

Widespread Problems

''We didn't play well in any area,'' Russo said.

The coach said one problem this season has been developing neophyte receivers...

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2016, 01:41 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/30/sports/trying-to-fulfill-some-high-expectations.html

Legend has it that Baur developed arm problems (tendonitis and such) and lost a lot of zip on his ball by his senior year. By the time he played in the Hula Bowl it was bad and scouts were not impressed. When healthy, he was awesome.

Bogus Megapardus
December 16th, 2016, 02:02 PM

The Leopards will face Columbia (0-2) at home this afternoon with a 1-2 record. Much has gone wrong with the team, Baur included.

We clobbered Columbia that afternoon, 52-14. xdrunkyx

Go...gate
December 16th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Legend has it that Baur developed arm problems (tendonitis and such) and lost a lot of zip on his ball by his senior year. By the time he played in the Hula Bowl it was bad and scouts were not impressed. When healthy, he was awesome.

I attended the Colgate - Lafayette game in Easton that year. Baur and Dave Goodwin had a shoot out with the Leopards winning, 38-33.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Any word on the coaching search? I am only interested for Durden, he was a good OC for us.

carney2
December 17th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Any word on the coaching search? I am only interested for Durden, he was a good OC for us.

We don't expect anything but rumors before 2017.

ngineer
December 17th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Huff from PSU is an ace recruiter, but has never been an OC or DC at any level. He was the lead recruiter for many of PSU's big time recruits such as All American RB Barkley and 5 star Miles Sanders. He is only 33 and connects extremely well with young AA student athletes. It would be a bit outside the box. This guy would bring tremendous enthusiasm and be great in recruiting, but I would be very interested in how he would fill a staff and his schematic preferences.

Garrett is a solid coach but is super boring and kinda dorky. I'm sure he is competent, but not really inspiringly. Actually Bruce will probably love him!

I still like guys who are past sucessful OC's since I think offense is hardest to get right, and ours has been so brutal. I am frankly not a huge fan of the Princeton offense, but I respect the creativity and how well coached it has been. Perry is also young and dynamic and really think he would do well. I also like the guy from Chatty the more I head about him. Very well respected OC at the best programs in the FCS for more than 10 years. I love his offense and he knows how to win at this level.

Key is his youthfulness which can be a plus in bringing "energy", but the key for an HC is his organizational skills above anything else. Others can bring the 'zip'. Communication skill is also a huge requirement in being able to connect with both today's athlete and alumni. I remember Lembo's biggest weakness was his being thin-skinned and prickly with alums, and his youthfulness, at times, may have taken away the 'gravitas' that is needed many times in being the authoritarian. HC's have many hats to wear, including the ability to recruit. Takes a special person to make it all click.

Bogus Megapardus
December 17th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Key is his youthfulness which can be a plus in bringing "energy", but the key for an HC is his organizational skills above anything else. Others can bring the 'zip'. Communication skill is also a huge requirement in being able to connect with both today's athlete and alumni. I remember Lembo's biggest weakness was his being thin-skinned and prickly with alums, and his youthfulness, at times, may have taken away the 'gravitas' that is needed many times in being the authoritarian. HC's have many hats to wear, including the ability to recruit. Takes a special person to make it all click.

Very aptly put, ngineer. To this day I wonder how Frank Tavani was able to hobnob with the alums and get the Fisher renovation done. I guess it's because he's a "personality" of sorts. But after a while it seemed like it became all about Frank. I want assertive guy, but also somebody who is humble and can demonstrate (without "trying") that he's happy to be on College Hill, with a program that goes back to the very origins of the game, and in a first-rate facility that belongs to us, not to him.

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2016, 08:36 PM
I want assertive guy, but also somebody who is humble and can demonstrate (without "trying") that he's happy to be on College Hill, with a program that goes back to the very origins of the game, and in a first-rate facility that belongs to us, not to him.

Yes, PL schools can be very reserved about the "right" hire more than the best hire, but I wonder if Lafayette might be better served with a Jim Harbaugh-styled coach who will shake things up, declare that he's tired of Lafayette being seen as Lehigh's little brother, and throw a little swerve into the country club mentality that has become PL football.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2016, 08:36 PM
We don't expect anything but rumors before 2017.

It seems like you would want to have someone in place by the time recruiting picks back up. Of course the right person is better than the quick person

Bogus Megapardus
December 17th, 2016, 08:47 PM
declare that he's tired of Lafayette being seen as Lehigh's little brother

Ouch. I can assure you that nobody at Lafayette thinks we're Lehigh's little brother. Lehigh University infamously was founded by a student who didn't get into Lafayette and later was denied a faculty position at Lafayette. Where we come from, Lafayette indisputably is the senior institution. Formerly a Penn/Princeton "safety school" I suppose, but never Lehigh's little brother. xsmhx

carney2
December 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM
It seems like you would want to have someone in place by the time recruiting picks back up. Of course the right person is better than the quick person

All true. It is the Patriot League, after all. Athletics have their place, and it isn't the same place as the SEC - or even the SoCon. These things will be dealt with in a certain way, and in their own due time. In this case I am both surprised and encouraged by the way the College is handling it.

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Ouch. I can assure you that nobody at Lafayette thinks we're Lehigh's little brother. Lehigh University infamously was founded by a student who didn't get into Lafayette and later was denied a faculty position at Lafayette. Where we come from, Lafayette indisputably is the senior institution. Formerly a Penn/Princeton "safety school" I suppose, but never Lehigh's little brother. xsmhx

Understood fully, but while nobody at LC thinks this, what do the recruits out there think? That's where a new coach could shake off the cobwebs from Tavani's 2-7 record in its last nine games versus the Engineers.

Meanwhile, up in Worcester, does anyone see Gilmore's 14th season as anything more or less than his prior 13?

Bogus Megapardus
December 17th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Understood fully, but while nobody at LC thinks this, what do the recruits out there think? That's where a new coach could shake off the cobwebs from Tavani's 2-7 record in its last nine games versus the Engineers.

Meanwhile, up in Worcester, does anyone see Gilmore's 14th season as anything more or less than his prior 13?

I understand your sentiment completely. LC needs to remain the little overachiever that doesn't easily get pushed around by anybody. That's our tradition. A Harbaugh type is precisely what we need.

Go...gate
December 17th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Yes, PL schools can be very reserved about the "right" hire more than the best hire, but I wonder if Lafayette might be better served with a Jim Harbaugh-styled coach who will shake things up, declare that he's tired of Lafayette being seen as Lehigh's little brother, and throw a little swerve into the country club mentality that has become PL football.

WTH?

RichH2
December 18th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Harbaugh type? Certainly would shake up LC football. Even in PL winning is still the preeminent goal for most Athletic Depts within our academic parameterd. LC has not had that as a part of their athletic philisophy in quite a while. That is the culture that has to change. It is also the culture that is seeking a new HC . Their HC choice will tell a lot abot the future of Pard teams. It will be a defining moment.

ngineer
December 18th, 2016, 11:19 AM

Little sister, then?xsmiley_wix

Bogus Megapardus
December 18th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Little sister, then?xsmiley_wix

Why stop at just the two genders when there are so many from which to choose? It's understood that the entire Lehigh team majors in that sort of thing. xwhistlex

RichH2
December 18th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Why stop at just the two genders when there are so many from which to choose? It's understood that the entire Lehigh team majors in that sort of thing. xwhistlex

Ahh, no. We dont have a genders study program. That is a Pard speciality methinks :)

citdog
December 18th, 2016, 02:01 PM
"Gender and Sexuality Studies at Lehigh University is an interdisciplinary field of academic inquiry that critically examines gender and sexuality from an intersectional model that takes into account the manner in which class, race, and power co-constitutively shape and impact gendered and sexed identity construction . . . "

http://wgs.cas2.lehigh.edu/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92KFhrIrgyY

Bogus Megapardus
December 18th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Ahh, no. We dont have a genders study program. That is a Pard speciality methinks :)

"Gender and Sexuality Studies at Lehigh University is an interdisciplinary field of academic inquiry that critically examines gender and sexuality from an intersectional model that takes into account the manner in which class, race, and power co-constitutively shape and impact gendered and sexed identity construction . . . "

citdog
December 18th, 2016, 02:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iUwiGis43Q

RichH2
December 18th, 2016, 02:44 PM

Damn . Did not know. Oh well my skill at smack remains at it usual low level :)

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2016, 03:19 PM

It's not for everybody. xcoolx

Bogus Megapardus
December 18th, 2016, 03:27 PM

It's not for everybody. xcoolx

L-L smack is an art. Both can take it and we can dish it out with equal aplomb. I'll be quite disappointed if you take my retort sitting down, Rich! xdrunkyx

citdog
December 18th, 2016, 03:35 PM
L-L smack is an art. Both can take it and we can dish it out with equal aplomb. I'll be quite disappointed if you take my retort sitting down, Rich! xdrunkyx

Pretty sure Bogey just said for Rich to "Sit On It"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r2M_YjOUo0

van
December 18th, 2016, 04:19 PM
who let the dog in?

RichH2
December 18th, 2016, 05:11 PM

Of course not Bogie. Missed you. Gotta get back in shape :).

ngineer
December 18th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Oh, the Spotted Pussies are not to be left "behind"...:https://gsp.lafayette.edu/resources/

carney2
December 19th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Latest rumor (and it is just that) is that the field has been culled to the 3 - 5 range and that a decision should be reached by year end. Most of the chatter has switched from "must have a Lafayette connection" to the outsider candidates. But then no one really knows what's going on, do they?!

LehighU11
December 19th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Latest rumor (and it is just that) is that the field has been culled to the 3 - 5 range and that a decision should be reached by year end. Most of the chatter has switched from "must have a Lafayette connection" to the outsider candidates. But then no one really knows what's going on, do they?!

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, non?

carney2
December 19th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, non?

If you're referring to the star chamber secrecy, you are correct. But, that's probably as it should be at this stage of a search process. If you're referring to the overall process, you couldn't be further from the truth. So far the process appears very un-Pardlike. It's appears almost rational.

LehighU11
December 19th, 2016, 09:32 PM
If you're referring to the star chamber secrecy, you are correct. But, that's probably as it should be at this stage of a search process. If you're referring to the overall process, you couldn't be further from the truth. So far the process appears very un-Pardlike. It's appears almost rational.
Just referring to the secrecy surrounding the process. No surprise at this stage, given that LC nor any other PL school is LSU or Michigan. Encouraging to hear that the College is breaking from past protocol and putting some effort into this search.

Bogus Megapardus
December 20th, 2016, 12:07 AM
Latest rumor is that it's down to Princeton OC James Perry, Harvard OC Joel Lamb and Richmond OC John Garrett, with a decision to be made by Friday.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Latest rumor is that it's down to Princeton OC James Perry, Harvard OC Joel Lamb and Richmond OC John Garrett, with a decision to be made by Friday.

My guess, and it would only be that, is that Perry would be the front-runner.

Bogus Megapardus
December 20th, 2016, 12:48 AM

Let's take a peek together at whom John Garrett is following on Twitter as of late, shall we?

https://twitter.com/CoachJMGarrett/following

xnodx xrotatehx xrolleyesx

Franks Tanks
December 20th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Looks like Garrett is the front runner. Our AD is such a complete and total clueless dope I can't take it. This guy has one year total experience coaching in the FCS, but hey he is the brother of to guy who coaches the Cowboys.

LeopardBall10
December 20th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Someone on the Lafayette board suggested that we should check out who Coach Garrett recently started following on Twitter. Aaaaaaand... its literally the entire Patriot League. Every school, every PL football program, the Lafayette ADs, the Lafayette president, the Lafayette student news paper. He either has an offer in hand and is so excited he can't wait to start tweeting at everyone or he is a boob. Time will tell.

NDSUtk
December 20th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Is it just me, or is this hire process one of the longest in college football? With all the other quick moves, this one being a month since the guy got fired seems to be dragging on.

Bogus Megapardus
December 20th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Is it just me, or is this hire process one of the longest in college football? With all the other quick moves, this one being a month since the guy got fired seems to be dragging on.

Furman and Bryant taking their sweet time at it, too. We're just noisier and more verbose.

LehighU11
December 20th, 2016, 08:28 AM
So if LC does in fact hire Garrett, will the Leotards plagiarize their rallying cry from the Cowboys? I can hear it now: "how 'bout them Pards!" Roll Pards didn't seem to last long.

Bogus Megapardus
December 20th, 2016, 08:52 AM
So if LC does in fact hire Garrett, will the Leotards plagiarize their rallying cry from the Cowboys? I can hear it now: "how 'bout them Pards!" Roll Pards didn't seem to last long.

The only thing I hate more than Lehigh is the Cowboys. Watching Jerry Jones tote Jason Garrett around like a fashion accessory doesn't help my impression of the guy we're about to charge with the task of rubbing Lehigh's face in the dirt for the next decade.

Franks Tanks
December 20th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Looks like Garrett is the front runner. Our AD is such a complete and total clueless dope I can't take it. This guy has one year total experience coaching in the FCS, but hey he is the brother of to guy who coaches the Cowboys.

So I've come around a bit. Still think Garrett is a risk from the recruiting standpoint as he spent very little time in FCS, but hopefully he is able to hire a competent staff with solid recruiting connections and evaluation ability. Hopefully he presented Bruce a detailed plan to address this area.

Garrett will likely call the plays, and he has experience coaching NFL QB's which is huge as our QB development has been terrible. I am excited to see an offense that makes sense schematically and, and QB that will receive proper coaching Garrett will not preside over an offense that was incapable of working like Frank & Mickey did.

If he calls the play, which he should, maybe he can spend more $ for a really solid D coordinator as well. I wanted a QB/offensive guy and that's what we have in John Garrett so I am happy in that sense. He should create a solid culture around the program as well.

Go Green
December 20th, 2016, 09:21 AM
This guy has one year total experience coaching in the FCS.

Hope it went better than his father's one year at Columbia. :)

Bogus Megapardus
December 20th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Hope it went better than his father's one year at Columbia. :)

The guys who followed Garrett senior at Columbia couldn't do any better.

carney2
December 20th, 2016, 09:56 AM
But what if he retains Fein and Clayton? xrolleyesx

Go Green
December 20th, 2016, 10:19 AM
The guys who followed Garrett senior at Columbia couldn't do any better.

Maybe not, but they didn't get run out by the administration with orders not to let the door hit them on the ass on the way out the way Garrett senior did.

RichH2
December 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Garrett may be a risk but most HC hires in PL are 1st time HCs. At the least it shows that Pards may get serious about a winning football program.:)

ccd494
December 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM
He either has an offer in hand and is so excited he can't wait to start tweeting at everyone or he is a boob.

Why not both?

Gate83
December 20th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Talked to a friend at Richmond who thinks Garrett would be a great hire. Very personable, innovative offensively, lots of connections in the business that will help drive recruiting, thinks he'd be an ideal fit in the PL. Here's to hoping it works out!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Garrett would definitely lend star power to the Lafayette job. If he would be the guy, it would remind me a lot about how Princeton got Bob Surace over at Princeton. But he does seem like somewhat of a newcomer to FCS.

Franks Tanks
December 20th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Garrett would definitely lend star power to the Lafayette job. If he would be the guy, it would remind me a lot about how Princeton got Bob Surace over at Princeton. But he does seem like somewhat of a newcomer to FCS.

Surace was a D2 head coach for a bit, but Garrett's resume is stronger than Surace's was when he got the Princeton job. Garrett has a more impressive and longer NFL experience and one year as an FBS OC. There was also NFL assistant Tom Williams at Yale, who wasn't so great in that role.

I guess I am talking myself into this a bit, but the resume is impressive for a PL coach.

Bogus Megapardus
December 20th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Maybe not, but they didn't get run out by the administration with orders not to let the door hit them on the ass on the way out the way Garrett senior did.

Garrett referred to his 1985 players as "drug-addicted losers." He also predicted that the Lions would go 10-0 in his first season. Garrett was dismissed after a single 0-10 season. Perhaps junior has learned a thing or two from that - he was a member of that Columbia squad, after all.

Bogus Megapardus
December 20th, 2016, 01:21 PM
But what if he retains Fein and Clayton? xrolleyesx

"I want the entire thing scrubbed, sterilized and disinfected!"

http://i64.tinypic.com/98y6xl.png

carney2
December 20th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Garrett would be a little older (52 by the time spring practice begins) than I was hoping for, but I am thrilled with the search process and the fact that he is not same-old, same-old by Lafayette standards. Only time will tell if he's the "right guy," but for now he marks a dramatic new direction for a program that has been mired in hell's quicksand for so long that anything - ANYTHING - is better than where we've been. I never thought that I'd utter these words in this lifetime, but, Good job, Bruce (if the rumors are true).

Who's volunteering to teach him that Lehigh is more than merely the final game on the schedule?

van
December 20th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Garrett would be a little older (52 by the time spring practice begins) than I was hoping for, but I am thrilled with the search process and the fact that he is not same-old, same-old by Lafayette standards. Only time will tell if he's the "right guy," but for now he marks a dramatic new direction for a program that has been mired in hell's quicksand for so long that anything - ANYTHING - is better than where we've been. I never thought that I'd utter these words in this lifetime, but, Good job, Bruce (if the rumors are true).

Who's volunteering to teach him that Lehigh is more than merely the final game on the schedule?

we'll be glad to show him that

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2016, 04:57 PM
we'll be glad to show him that

Several times, I'm hoping.

Go...gate
December 21st, 2016, 01:24 AM
Garrett referred to his 1985 players as "drug-addicted losers." He also predicted that the Lions would go 10-0 in his first season. Garrett was dismissed after a single 0-10 season. Perhaps junior has learned a thing or two from that - he was a member of that Columbia squad, after all.

That was an ugly situation. Did he ever coach again?

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2016, 02:04 AM
That was an ugly situation. Did he ever coach again?

He did not.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/27/sports/garrett-incidents-described.html

Franks Tanks
December 21st, 2016, 10:50 AM
The news hit football scoop on December 2nd that Frank was fired. The search hasn't been extraordinarily long, but I think the committee has had enough time, and hoping for an announcement by the end of this week.

I understand we are in a recruiting dead period, but naming a coach before Christmas will allow more time for the head guy to put together a staff, and hit the ground running for the final recruiting push. If it is Garrett he may not steal any currently committed Richmond recruits, but some may be open to looking around give the movement with Rocco and Huesman. Also kids that were on the cusp of maybe receiving an offer from the Spiders may be good potential for the Pards.

Franks Tanks
December 21st, 2016, 11:05 AM
The news hit football scoop on December 2nd that Frank was fired. The search hasn't been extraordinarily long, but I think the committee has had enough time, and hoping for an announcement by the end of this week.

I understand we are in a recruiting dead period, but naming a coach before Christmas will allow more time for the head guy to put together a staff, and hit the ground running for the final recruiting push. If it is Garrett he may not steal any currently committed Richmond recruits, but some may be open to looking around give the movement with Rocco and Huesman. Also kids that were on the cusp of maybe receiving an offer from the Spiders may be good potential for the Pards.

Just as I type that, it is announced that the new coach will be announced tonight at 6 PM on goleopards.com. No indication of there will be any sort of press conference, but thinking maybe some short video etc.

Bogus Megapardus
December 21st, 2016, 11:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8XUgJNIqo4

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2016, 11:54 AM
Jon Gruden: “Right now, I have no intentions of coaching. I really enjoy what I am doing I’m close to the fire, and I’m getting plenty of satisfaction from what I’m doing."

Well, there's one name we can rule out.

Bogus Megapardus
December 21st, 2016, 11:55 AM
http://i65.tinypic.com/zwaon4.png

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/zwaon4.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFyw9baeJZA

“You couldn’t stand to spend a weekend there... It’s just an awful, awful, sad place, filled with sad desperate people with no ambition. Nobody, and I mean nobody, but me has ever come out of that place. It’s a genetic cesspool.”

Bogus Megapardus
December 21st, 2016, 12:58 PM
It’s a genetic cesspool.

You know Hillary's family is from Scranton, right? Explains much.

Bogus Megapardus
December 21st, 2016, 01:00 PM
Lafayette (FCS): Sources tell FootballScoop John Garrett will be the next head coach at Lafayette. Garrett, brother of Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason, served as offensive coordinator at Richmond this past season. Garrett came to Richmond after serving one year at Florida in a quality control role. He served as offensive coordinator at Oregon State for the 2014 season, coach receivers for the Tampa Bay Bucs in 2013 and was with the Cowboys from 2007-2012.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2016, 01:01 PM

I can't confirm or deny whether he was referring to Scranton or Lafayette in his fictional rendition of Biden's speech.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 21st, 2016, 01:15 PM

You're welcome.

Let me know if you need anything else, Leopards!

Franks Tanks
December 21st, 2016, 01:20 PM

Hill's Dad owned a large garment factory in Scranton, despite the fact that she tried to portray herself as a normal middle class gal. It's likely her dad had just as much money as Donny's.

- - - Updated - - -

You're welcome.

Can you tell us who he will hire on his staff?

Bogus Megapardus
December 21st, 2016, 01:30 PM
Hill's Dad owned a large garment factory in Scranton, despite the fact that she tried to portray herself as a normal middle class gal. It's likely her dad had just as much money as Donny's.

Careful - LFN is a big Hillary fan. He might need a safe space.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, can he beat Princeton, for chrissakes?

carney2
December 21st, 2016, 01:46 PM
You're welcome.

Since you asked, could you send along a quarterback ... and a running back ... and two or three defensive backs. Oops, almost forgot some offensive linemen would be nice too.

ngineer
December 21st, 2016, 02:00 PM
The press release names Garrett, along with Lamb of Harvard and Perry of Princeton as the three finalists who were all interviewed this past week.

ngineer
December 21st, 2016, 02:04 PM
The press release names Garrett, along with Lamb of Harvard and Perry of Princeton as the three finalists who were all interviewed this past week.

While Garrett certainly has credentials, the one thing that would bother me is the appearance of "moving on up" and Lafayette being a short term gig hoping he turns around the mojo in 2-3 years and moves on. He's had a taste of the BCS level, along with the NFL, and I would be skeptical of any long term intentions.

crusader11
December 21st, 2016, 02:06 PM
Furman and Bryant taking their sweet time at it, too. We're just noisier and more verbose.

Speaking of Bryant, have a good source who tells me they will likely be hiring Cory Bailey (assistant at Coastal and former Assumption HC).

Franks Tanks
December 21st, 2016, 02:13 PM
While Garrett certainly has credentials, the one thing that would bother me is the appearance of "moving on up" and Lafayette being a short term gig hoping he turns around the mojo in 2-3 years and moves on. He's had a taste of the BCS level, along with the NFL, and I would be skeptical of any long term intentions.

I think Garret took college jobs because he wanted to be a college head coach. He could be coaching with his brother in Dallas if he wanted. He could certainly get a position as a scout, quality control assistant or even a position coach with other NFL teams as well. He would even be a good candidate for a WR or TE coach at a major FBS schools if he wanted.

If he finds success at Lafayette is it certainly possible that he will look to get a head coaching job at maybe a group of 5 school, but I think he took this job because he wants some stability, and wanted to be a head coach. Overall I would rather he do well and leave in 4-5 years than think he can coast forever here until he decided to retire. Leaving because he is really successful should be the least of our worries.

I don't know if he will be a great success, but the Leopards will be much better coached next year. He wont make astoundingly dumb decisions on a regular basis. He will not tolerate the garbage Frank tolerated, and he wont back his assistants into a corner where they have no chance to succeed schematically.