PDA

View Full Version : MVFC All Conference Teams

BisonTru
November 28th, 2016, 01:06 PM
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/goyotes.com/documents/2016/11/28/2016_MVFC_All_Conference_Teams.pdf?id=2162

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23969&stc=1

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23970&stc=1

Kemo
November 28th, 2016, 02:37 PM
My only real gripe would be that the MVFC, and most post-season awards for that manner, use the generic DL position instead of the DE and DT. Soulek and Tanguay should be on first team instead of putting 4 DEs there (though there were 4 really good DEs in the league this year).

Also, Charlie Harmon should have been at least 2nd team. His emergence/improvement is one of the reasons the Jacks beat teams like NDSU, YSU, UNI this year.

BisonTru
November 28th, 2016, 02:40 PM
My only real gripe would be that the MVFC, and most post-season awards for that manner, use the generic DL position instead of the DE and DT. Soulek and Tanguay should be on first team instead of putting 4 DEs there (though there were 4 really good DEs in the league this year).

Also, Charlie Harmon should have been at least 2nd team. His emergence/improvement is one of the reasons the Jacks beat teams like NDSU, YSU, UNI this year.

I agree with this. DTs get screwed with these awards.

BisonTru
November 28th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Another note, SDSU has the only four underclassmen on the First team offense.

Awesome. xanim_chaix

POD Knows
November 28th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Really surprised Frazier of NDSU made first team but this might be one of the thinnest years in a while at the RB position.

Thumper 76
November 28th, 2016, 03:50 PM

Awesome. xanim_chaix

Just to add to the fun of that, SDSU only loses an OT who splits time with a true freshman and a WR not named Wieneke going into next season on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacks02
November 28th, 2016, 03:51 PM

Awesome. xanim_chaix

Louscher, Mangarelli, and Harmon are all Juniors as well...

Basically all we lose on offense is our #3 receiver, #3 running back, #2 tight end and a part time starter on the OL.

underdawg
November 28th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Biggest screw job to me, a saluki fan, was Josh Straughan not even being put on honorable mention team--the poor kid was taken out with three games to go and 2400 plus yards to try Sam Straub (who responded with 1100 yards in three games) for next year--Straughan would have been able to break Mark Iannotti's school passing record easily.

Next biggest screw is the SIU offense--2nd in the Valley which only gets one guy (OL) on Honorable mention----to the victors goes the spoils I guess:(

Jacks02
November 28th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Biggest screw job to me, a saluki fan, was Josh Straughan not even being put on honorable mention team--the poor kid was taken out with three games to go and 2400 plus yards to try Sam Straub (who responded with 1100 yards in three games) for next year--Straughan would have been able to break Mark Iannotti's school passing record easily.

Next biggest screw is the SIU offense--2nd in the Valley which only gets one guy (OL) on Honorable mention----to the victors goes the spoils I guess:(

I'd say Straughan got screwed by his coach, not by the voters.

POD Knows
November 28th, 2016, 04:37 PM

Didn't SIU play from behind most of the year, that sometimes has a tendency to skew the numbers up.

BisonTru
November 28th, 2016, 05:15 PM

Your offense also averages over 10 plays more a game than the league average. The style you guys play will have exaggerated total yardage numbers. On the extreme opposite end NDSU that runs a much slower pace TOP style is fifth in total offense, but second in yards per play.

Redbird007
November 28th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I'd say Straughan got screwed by his coach, not by the voters.

How about it. Underdawg what is your opinion of SIU's treatment of Straughan? Hard to make alll MVFC when you miss nearly 40% of the conference games (3 out of 8).

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Your offense also averages over 10 plays more a game than the league average. The style you guys play will have exaggerated total yardage numbers. On the extreme opposite end NDSU that runs a much slower pace TOP style is fifth in total offense, but second in yards per play.

SIU will never move up into the upper tier of the Valley until they start playing some defense. IMO, of course.

underdawg
November 28th, 2016, 08:06 PM
How about it. Underdawg what is your opinion of SIU's treatment of Straughan? Hard to make alll MVFC when you miss nearly 40% of the conference games (3 out of 8).

I can see Hill trying to change things to win--and he did and we won 2-3 but jeese, not playing at all--even in his senior game would be tough for me to take. I guess Josh is a better man than me--not a peep from him. By the way Straughan will play in the Dec 4 FCS Bowl (all-star game) and he has already gotten some looks from Pro scouts--hope he gets a shot as a free agent.

underdawg
November 28th, 2016, 08:08 PM
I thought we played better at end of year---need to recruit some diff. makers at DE and we'll be highly improved next year

ST_Lawson
November 28th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Didn't SIU play from behind most of the year, that sometimes has a tendency to skew the numbers up.

That's similar to our situation where for most of the season we were leading the conference in time of possession.
Yea...that'll happen when every one of your drives takes 5 minutes to work down the field and end in a score, while the opponent does it in like 1 70-yard TD play that takes 15 seconds.

Numbers don't really tell the full story sometimes.

BisonTru
November 28th, 2016, 11:10 PM
SIU will never move up into the upper tier of the Valley until they start playing some defense. IMO, of course.

They are basically going the Eastern Washington/Sam Houston St approach of trying to score quick and often, which leverages your defense to extremes. Statistically I don't see it likely they will have much of a defense ever, but teams like EWU have won national titles. I agree though, I don't think it will work well in the Valley. Time will tell.

clenz
November 29th, 2016, 06:23 AM
They are basically going the Eastern Washington/Sam Houston St approach of trying to score quick and often, which leverages your defense to extremes. Statistically I don't see it likely they will have much of a defense ever, but teams like EWU have won national titles. I agree though, I don't think it will work well in the Valley. Time will tell.

Go look how EWU played when they won their title.

It wasn't arena ball

iowastatebison
November 29th, 2016, 10:24 AM
How does Dakota Vermillion end up at Indiana State and not South Dakota. It seems like a perfect fit.

Bisonator
November 29th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I thought we played better at end of year---need to recruit some diff. makers at DE and we'll be highly improved next year
Which transfers are you guys looking at?