PDA

View Full Version : WHO'S THE NEXT COACH FOR GEORGIA SOUTHERN???

GSU Just One More Time
January 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Does anyone have any idea who our next coach is going to be? I have heard from a few people down here the list is short Giff and Hugh are at the top.

Sir William
January 16th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Does anyone have any idea who our next coach is going to be? I have heard from a few people down here the list is short Giff and Hugh are at the top.

Conventional wisdom says that Saban will resign at Bama tomorrow to take over at GSU for approx three weeks before moving on to the Raiders.

appfan2008
January 16th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Is it a job anyone wants right now?
I mean I think it is due to the incredible history but right now the program has been run amuck by BVG

GSU Just One More Time
January 16th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I was just told that Ken Niumatalolo (Navy Asst. HC) was in the running

GSU Just One More Time
January 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM
The next coach is going to have a hard time. There are a lot of question no doubt but we still have a group of players that were on some winning teams in the past. 2002 Semi, 2003 Semi, 04 out 05 1st round

JALMOND
January 16th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Call Dennis Erickson. He might come for it.

SuperJon
January 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I was just told that Ken Niumatalolo (Navy Asst. HC) was in the running

That would mean the Triple Option comes back.

GSU Just One More Time
January 16th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I would think so. We have a QB that can run it. But I can't say I like the idea of Changing back. However, we did win with it and App St has won the past 2 years running a form of the option

JDC325
January 16th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Is it a job anyone wants right now?
I mean I think it is due to the incredible history but right now the program has been run amuck by BVG

True we are at ground zero right now but we will still be one of the highest paying jobs in the FCS is the next coach gets near what VanGoner got. Our facilities although not the best in all of FCS is near the top. Remember GA is in the top four in highschool talent and GSU is expolding so the pontential to turn it around quick is good. We are also in the conference who gets an auto bid to the playoffs and usaully always gets atleast one or two more teams in the playoffs often. We only have two FBS teams to compete with and only Sav State xlolx to compete with in the FCS. So I dont think we will have a problem getting applicants the question is our AD going to make another bone head move in a long painfull history of bone head moves and compound the problem with another bad hire.

bluehenbillk
January 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Shula?

Kill'em
January 17th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Hugh Nall is staying at Auburn. He was quoted as such. The two candidates I've heard was Eagle legend Giff Smith. He is an assistant at GA Tech. The other is Valdosta St Head Coach, Chris Hatcher. Giff would bring stability, if only perceived, to the program because he is an alum. Also being Tech's Recruiting Coordinator he has connections and knows how to recruit. Hatcher would bring a proven winner. He was a highly successful QB at Valdosta St and a well-respected Offensive Coordinator. As a Head Coach, VSU is a consistent 20 team and has one D-II title under him.
I feel either will be a good choice.

Sir William
January 17th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Hugh Nall is staying at Auburn. He was quoted as such. The two candidates I've heard was Eagle legend Giff Smith. He is an assistant at GA Tech. The other is Valdosta St Head Coach, Chris Hatcher. Giff would bring stability, if only perceived, to the program because he is an alum. Also being Tech's Recruiting Coordinator he has connections and knows how to recruit. Hatcher would bring a proven winner. He was a highly successful QB at Valdosta St and a well-respected Offensive Coordinator. As a Head Coach, VSU is a consistent 20 team and has one D-II title under him.
I feel either will be a good choice.

Except that Hatcher may end up at Rice.

Cocky
January 17th, 2007, 08:13 AM
The perfect fit would be Frank Solich. Ohio let him go didn't they?

jmuroller
January 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
You need to hire Hatcher yesterday!! Get him before Rice does.

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 09:11 AM
You need to hire Hatcher yesterday!! Get him before Rice does.
Hey, we just came from the GSC. WHAT HE SAID!!:bow: :nod:

AppGuy04
January 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Solich will be looking to get back into BCS, not good IMO. Just a bandaid, not healing

Libertine
January 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM

No. Solich is still there. Just finished a 9-5 season (most wins since '68) w/ an appearance in the GMAC bowl.

GoldandBlack
January 17th, 2007, 09:34 AM
It's hard to see the downside on Chris Hatcher, if he's available and it's offered to him.

I-AA Fan
January 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Need another coach? I didn't even know. Good luck finding someone after firing a coach that made the post-season. Two recomendations:

1. Hire back Sewak. Unless there was more to the firing.

2. Hire Spangler back.

Tradition means nothing if you administration destroys it. Bringing back Spangler could help in that regard.

GoldandBlack
January 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Spangler was just hired from PC as an assistant at FBS La. Tech- not likely to do an about-face at this point.

Sir William
January 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Need another coach? I didn't even know. Good luck finding someone after firing a coach that made the post-season. Two recomendations:

1. Hire back Sewak. Unless there was more to the firing.

2. Hire Spangler back.

Tradition means nothing if you administration destroys it. Bringing back Spangler could help in that regard.

Sewak is sitting back in his easy chair at home laughing heartily. Ain't no way he'd come back, unless Baker gets canned beforehand (which is probably the cure to what ails GSU.

Spangler just joined La Tech as defensive coordinator.

Better call Hatcher today (and give Baker his pink slip).

flexbone
January 17th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I think right now it is between Gif Smith and Hatcher, some fans are saying look at Ayers @ Wofford or a PJ Navy Assist. to bring back the Triple Option.

pete4256
January 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
The next coach is going to have a hard time. There are a lot of question no doubt but we still have a group of players that were on some winning teams in the past. 2002 Semi, 2003 Semi, 04 out 05 1st round

Check your facts. Those season summaries are faulty. Which REALLY makes me question your "source" about Navy's assistant HC.

AppGuy04
January 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I think right now it is between Gif Smith and Hatcher, some fans are saying look at Ayers @ Wofford or a PJ Navy Assist. to bring back the Triple Option.

Kinda difficult to do with all the traditional offense recruits he has recruited, not to mention, the amount of transfers

Sir William
January 17th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Ayers...hadn't thought about him. He is a good coach and would probably do very well at a school like Southern. Interesting.

GoldandBlack
January 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Couldn't imagine Ayers leaving Wofford for GSU - lots of history and family atmosphere, and I don't think the money would be enough to entice him to leave. I certainly hope not.

Also, I'd be surprised if they hire a coach to reinstate the triple option, with their latest recruiting class geared toward the spread.

CharlestonAppFan
January 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
How bout Lou Holtz as Head Coach, with Mark May as his "special assistant" head coach, with Kirk Herbstreet as OC and Fowler as DC? Actually, that wouldn't be a bad staff............lots of exposure

GoldandBlack
January 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM
How bout Lou Holtz as Head Coach, with Mark May as his "special assistant" head coach, with Kirk Herbstreet as OC and Fowler as DC? Actually, that wouldn't be a bad staff............lots of exposure

That way, GSU would get more press coverage next year than the entire FCS has gotten for the past 10 years.

DinoDex200
January 17th, 2007, 12:02 PM
It's hard to see the downside on Chris Hatcher, if he's available and it's offered to him.

I see one...he's a young, hot name...you hire him, he does well, he's gone to be an SEC/ACC O-coordinator in 2 years, and you have to install a new offense...again.

They need to hire a good coach, not one based on what system he runs. They have enough varying kind of players thanks to the Sewak/BVG changeover, so they can hire anyone.

back2back
January 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Would David Bennett (Coastal) be interested in the job? :eyebrow:

ChickenMan
January 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Isn't Rich Kotite available... :p

Appaholic
January 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
GSU sould look hard at Kent Briggs........please.......I beg of you.....:thumbsup:

GoldandBlack
January 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM
GSU sould look hard at Kent Briggs........please.......I beg of you.....:thumbsup:

I think there are some Catamount boosters that would throw in some extras for the Eagles if they hire him.

Kill'em
January 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM
While Bennett and Ayers would be good choices, I don't see them making lateral moves. Ayers has been at Wofford forever and Bennett is doing something special at Coastal Carolina. Well, losing 21 starters might make it a good time for Bennett to leave. :)

As for Hatcher being gone in two years, such is life in college football. As we've seen, it even happens at the BS level.

hoseman
January 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Tommy Spangler is the man for GSU. Erk trained...same philosophy - mental and physical toughness - has them up at 5:30am everyday - not done till 7 at night then study hall till 9 - same thing during the season as well as off season.
What he did with the lessor athletes at PC is phenominal - simple example: PC hardly ever got penalties due to mental discipline. Give Spanger the talent at GSU, the sky is the limit. (GSU could probably get him right now with the right approach).

MarkCCU
January 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM
:bawling: I can't see Bennett passong up his opportunity.

The Gadfly
January 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Bennett can't pass this opportunity up :bawling: . Why does he choose to stay here?:eyebrow:

lizrdgizrd
January 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM
While Bennett and Ayers would be good choices, I don't see them making lateral moves. Ayers has been at Wofford forever and Bennett is doing something special at Coastal Carolina. Well, losing 21 starters might make it a good time for Bennett to leave. :)
I would think Bennett would want to stick around and prove his recruiting out. It's great to have one good season, but a good coach can continue the success due to good recruiting in past seasons.

Sir William
January 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Bennett can't pass this opportunity up :bawling: . Why does he choose to stay here?:eyebrow:

Why should Bennett leave a great situation with a bright future to inherit a currently-troubled situation with impatient fans? The man is smarter than that.

MR. CHICKEN
January 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM
ONLY ONE MAN.......COULD STRAIGHTEN DIS MESS OUT.......YEAH-AHH!.....GAWD HAS SENT YOU...TA ME........HAROLD "TUBBY" RAYMOND............:nod:....BRAWK!

EAGLE BEAKS...NO LIKEY...:confused:................DUH WING-T....WAS FULLBACK 1st....MIS-DIRECTION.....AN' STUFF!

'CEPT......HE WON'T PITCH DUH PIGGY......LIKE IT'S DUH 3rd ROCK FROM DUH SUN!........NO MO' DROPSIES....MAYBERRY.....xlolx...BRAWK!

AN'.....NO MO'....."TURN DUH PAGE"...VAN GORDER!

Kill'em
January 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Bennett has something special going at Coastal. If I were him, there is no way I leave.

youwouldno
January 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Ayers would be interesting... I think he could win without running the option, and he runs the option out of necessity at Wofford sort of like PJ at Navy. Say what you will about the trip option, but GSU doesn't need that type of an offense to compete. They just need a legit coach. Highly unlikely though as others have addressed.

Bennett would make some sense. CCU to GSU is not a lateral move because GSU plays in the SoCon, which means he could compete for NC's. Not likely but at least technically possible.

Kill'em
January 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM
WTOC just reported Chris Hatcher has been offered the job and has until tomorrow to decide.

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
WTOC just reported Chris Hatcher has been offered the job and has until tomorrow to decide.
I think he already reeled that one in.:smiley_wi

BigApp
January 18th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Rob Best is available! Many an Appfan will write a Letter of Recommendation! :D :D :D :D :D