View Full Version : Weber State @ Chattanooga (Winner @ Sam Houston State)

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2016, 04:39 PM
I wanted to start a dedicated thread for the Weber State (Big Sky) vs. Chattanooga (SoCon) playoff game. The thread “Chattanooga Playoffs 2016” has become rife with Sam Houston State fans talking about how many points they are going to score in the second round, MVFC fans telling Sam Houston State Fans how terrible their SOS is, and JSU/Sam Houston State fans arguing over whether Eli Jenkins is a better QB than one on a D2 school. Feel free to continue to banter and thread drift on that thread, but I would like to have some real discussion on the Weber State - Chattanooga playoff game. The winner will worry about Sam Houston State starting Saturday night. I would like to hear some discussions from Weber State fans (there don’t seem to be many here???) and Big Sky fans in general we well as from Chattanooga/SoCon fans.

For Weber State/Big Sky fans that are not that familiar with Chattanooga Football this year, here is my quick rundown:

Chattanooga’s coach, Russ Huesman, is a defensive minded coach who was the DC on the 2008 Richmond NC Team, and thus Chattanooga is a defensive oriented team. Chattanooga runs a 4-2-5 defense and for the most part doesn’t do anything fancy. We rarely blitz and a generally able to get pressure with a strong D line anchored by end Keionta Davis, the 2 time SoCon defensive player of the year. The defensive line is the strength of our defense. We have two solid linebackers in Nakevion Leslie and Dale Warren. Leslie is quite good in pass coverage and Warren has a nose for getting tackles for a loss. In the secondary we are anchored by two experienced safeties, Lucas Webb and Ceddric Nettles, and corners, Trevor Wright, who has good size, and CJ Fritz, who plays in press coverage. Our corners were an area of concern to me coming into the season but have performed well so far this season.

On offense we run a version of the spread, and are let by running back Derrick Craine. Craine ran for over 1,200 yards last season, but has missed some games this year due to an ankle injury. Craine has more power than you think he would at 205 and gets a lot of yards after contact. He also has deceptive speed if he gets into the open. Craine is back in the lineup but may or may not be at 100% for the game. We are quarterbacked by Alajandro Bennifield, a southpaw with a strong arm who is in his first year as a starter. He throws a nice deep ball and can run when he needs to. He will be throwing to a pair of experienced wide outs in Xavier Borishade and CJ Board. Our offensive line has been solid most of the year, and we have only given up 11 sacks, and is led by Guard Cory Levin.

Special teams is led by strong legged kicker, Hinrique Ribeiro, who has a career long of 52 yards (He has the leg for 60), and Freshman punter Colin Brewer, though you will occasionally see Ribeiro or Bennifield punt. We tend to kickoff short and try to put the ball on the goal line and force a return, but with your return game, I would hope we would just kick it in the end zone and let you have it on the 25. Special teams is a concern to me as we gave up a 100 yard kickoff return and a 60 yard kickoff return (and on top of that a 15 yard penalty!) that set up two Wofford scores in our loss to them. You will often see us do a rugby style punt to eliminate a return, and have been know to fake them if teams put more than one return man back.

Mocs in the playoffs:

The Mocs first trip to what is now the FCS Playoffs in 1984 when we lost 37-10 to Arkansas State. The Mocs then spent 30 years wandering in the desert and finally got back in the playoffs in 2014 and beat Indiana State (MVFC) 35-14 at home before falling to New Hampshire (CAA) 35-30 in Durham. We went back to the playoffs last year defeating Fordham (Patriot) 50-20 at home before losing to eventual runner up Jacksonville State (OVC) 41-35 in overtime in Jacksonville.

Comparison:

Games like this are always intriguing as they involve two conferences that don’t play each other or any common opponents. I have attempted to look at the statistics and where the two teams rank in these categories to gain some perspective, but any perspective gained must be taken with a grain of salt because of the two different types of teams they have played.

The first thing I did was to try and compare the Big Sky with the Southern Conference and then just compared the Big Sky teams that Weber State played as they can’t play all the Big Sky teams in one year. The following comments are only comparing the Big Sky Teams that Weber State played this season. What I have discovered (or rather re-confirmed) is that the Big Sky is an offensive league with the Big Sky leading the SoCon in all of the major offensive categories, and the SoCon leading in the defensive categories. What did surprise me is that the Big Sky averaged more rushing yards than the SoCon despite the SoCon having two triple option teams, (the Big South had 1 - Cal Poly).

Comparing the two teams both the actual numbers and the national rank give Chattanooga the lead in most categories, with Weber State having the edge in Passing Offense (no surprise), 3rd down conversions (no surprise - not a Chattanooga strength this year), and in Red Zone Scoring. What did catch me off guard is that Weber State has the highest kickoff return average in the nation. They also have a good punting game. One area they seem to struggle, is on Field Goals, where they are only 38.9% on the year, though they have attempted a lot of long field goals including making a 54 yarder.

I also looked at the teams ranking in major statistical categories against their conference. It looks to me like Weber State is a good passing team (398 attempts) with a dangerous mobile quarterback in Jadrian Clark (95 rushes for 415 yards) who throws it to a variety of targets. They don’t run the ball as much as the rest of the Big Sky and only average 137 yards per game on the ground. Does Weber throw a lot of short passes that “act” as a running game like Samford does?

On defense Weber States doesn’t sack the quarterback a lot but must blitz often when they do as they have 9 players with at least half a sack. Like Chattanooga, Weber State has only intercepted five passes, but it is hard to ignore Taron Johnson with 12 passes defended.

It looks like both teams have kickers with strong legs but Weber State’s kicker has been pretty inconsistent. The rest of Weber States special teams look strong however and Chattanooga has struggled there at times this season.
I expect Weber State to be able to move the ball against our secondary if we aren’t able to get to the quarterback. If we can hit the quarterback early and often, it could be a long day for the Wildcats. If Craine is heathy, we should be able to run the ball, but Weber State has a battle hardened secondary and throwing the ball on them may be harder than we are used to.

All in all I expect a good game, and all of the above analysis is entertaining, but may just be that as they have played teams that are so far removed from each other an apples to apples comparison probably isn’t possible. Even if we had a clear cut X is better than Y, the games are played on Saturday for a reason.

My prediction:
Weber State 24
Chattanooga 31

If any Weber State fans are coming to the game and have any questions about where to stay or places to eat please let me know.

Current weather forecast for kickoff is 59*F and Sunny.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23952&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23953&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23954&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23955&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23956&stc=1

Big_Fan
November 22nd, 2016, 04:45 PM
I think this is one of the worst mismatches in the first round. Chatty should win without a lot of fus.

Sam_Kats
November 22nd, 2016, 04:58 PM
Agree. Largest spread in Vegas of all the playoff games. Potential big crowd. Mocs haven't hosted since 2014. They'll be fired up.

Chatt by 13.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2016, 05:14 PM
Good read and analysis. I think UTC will win handidly.

If they draw more than 5000 I'll be surprised.

Chatty only has 5 picks this year? Jesus. We had that many vs UTM.

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2016, 05:24 PM
We hosted Fordham last year before we went to JSU.

I would love to have a big crowd but JSU Southerner may be right, we only had ~4900 for Indiana State in 2014 in the first round. By far our lowest attendance number since we were 1-11 in 2008. We normally run 9-10K.

SeattleBobcat
November 22nd, 2016, 05:27 PM
Weber has a pretty stout D, If Chattanooga has one too they will probably win as Weber's O is rather anemic. If Chattanooga's D isn't very good this could be a close game.

milleniumkat
November 22nd, 2016, 05:40 PM
I wanted to start a dedicated thread for the Weber State (Big Sky) vs. Chattanooga (SoCon) playoff game. The thread “Chattanooga Playoffs 2016” has become rife with Sam Houston State fans talking about how many points they are going to score in the second round, MVFC fans telling Sam Houston State Fans how terrible their SOS is, and JSU/Sam Houston State fans arguing over whether Eli Jenkins is a better QB than one on a D2 school. Feel free to continue to banter and thread drift on that thread, but I would like to have some real discussion on the Weber State - Chattanooga playoff game. The winner will worry about Sam Houston State starting Saturday night. I would like to hear some discussions from Weber State fans (there don’t seem to be many here???) and Big Sky fans in general we well as from Chattanooga/SoCon fans.

For Weber State/Big Sky fans that are not that familiar with Chattanooga Football this year, here is my quick rundown:

Chattanooga’s coach, Russ Huesman, is a defensive minded coach who was the DC on the 2008 Richmond NC Team, and thus Chattanooga is a defensive oriented team. Chattanooga runs a 4-2-5 defense and for the most part doesn’t do anything fancy. We rarely blitz and a generally able to get pressure with a strong D line anchored by end Keionta Davis, the 2 time SoCon defensive player of the year. The defensive line is the strength of our defense. We have two solid linebackers in Nakevion Leslie and Dale Warren. Leslie is quite good in pass coverage and Warren has a nose for getting tackles for a loss. In the secondary we are anchored by two experienced safeties, Lucas Webb and Ceddric Nettles, and corners, Trevor Wright, who has good size, and CJ Fritz, who plays in press coverage. Our corners were an area of concern to me coming into the season but have performed well so far this season.

On offense we run a version of the spread, and are let by running back Derrick Craine. Craine ran for over 1,200 yards last season, but has missed some games this year due to an ankle injury. Craine has more power than you think he would at 205 and gets a lot of yards after contact. He also has deceptive speed if he gets into the open. Craine is back in the lineup but may or may not be at 100% for the game. We are quarterbacked by Alajandro Bennifield, a southpaw with a strong arm who is in his first year as a starter. He throws a nice deep ball and can run when he needs to. He will be throwing to a pair of experienced wide outs in Xavier Borishade and CJ Board. Our offensive line has been solid most of the year, and we have only given up 11 sacks, and is led by Guard Cory Levin.

Special teams is led by strong legged kicker, Hinrique Ribeiro, who has a career long of 52 yards (He has the leg for 60), and Freshman punter Colin Brewer, though you will occasionally see Ribeiro or Bennifield punt. We tend to kickoff short and try to put the ball on the goal line and force a return, but with your return game, I would hope we would just kick it in the end zone and let you have it on the 25. Special teams is a concern to me as we gave up a 100 yard kickoff return and a 60 yard kickoff return (and on top of that a 15 yard penalty!) that set up two Wofford scores in our loss to them. You will often see us do a rugby style punt to eliminate a return, and have been know to fake them if teams put more than one return man back.

Mocs in the playoffs:

The Mocs first trip to what is now the FCS Playoffs in 1984 when we lost 37-10 to Arkansas State. The Mocs then spent 30 years wandering in the desert and finally got back in the playoffs in 2014 and beat Indiana State (MVFC) 35-14 at home before falling to New Hampshire (CAA) 35-30 in Durham. We went back to the playoffs last year defeating Fordham (Patriot) 50-20 at home before losing to eventual runner up Jacksonville State (OVC) 41-35 in overtime in Jacksonville.

Comparison:

Games like this are always intriguing as they involve two conferences that don’t play each other or any common opponents. I have attempted to look at the statistics and where the two teams rank in these categories to gain some perspective, but any perspective gained must be taken with a grain of salt because of the two different types of teams they have played.

The first thing I did was to try and compare the Big Sky with the Southern Conference and then just compared the Big Sky teams that Weber State played as they can’t play all the Big Sky teams in one year. The following comments are only comparing the Big Sky Teams that Weber State played this season. What I have discovered (or rather re-confirmed) is that the Big Sky is an offensive league with the Big Sky leading the SoCon in all of the major offensive categories, and the SoCon leading in the defensive categories. What did surprise me is that the Big Sky averaged more rushing yards than the SoCon despite the SoCon having two triple option teams, (the Big South had 1 - Cal Poly).

Comparing the two teams both the actual numbers and the national rank give Chattanooga the lead in most categories, with Weber State having the edge in Passing Offense (no surprise), 3rd down conversions (no surprise - not a Chattanooga strength this year), and in Red Zone Scoring. What did catch me off guard is that Weber State has the highest kickoff return average in the nation. They also have a good punting game. One area they seem to struggle, is on Field Goals, where they are only 38.9% on the year, though they have attempted a lot of long field goals including making a 54 yarder.

I also looked at the teams ranking in major statistical categories against their conference. It looks to me like Weber State is a good passing team (398 attempts) with a dangerous mobile quarterback in Jadrian Clark (95 rushes for 415 yards) who throws it to a variety of targets. They don’t run the ball as much as the rest of the Big Sky and only average 137 yards per game on the ground. Does Weber throw a lot of short passes that “act” as a running game like Samford does?

On defense Weber States doesn’t sack the quarterback a lot but must blitz often when they do as they have 9 players with at least half a sack. Like Chattanooga, Weber State has only intercepted five passes, but it is hard to ignore Taron Johnson with 12 passes defended.

It looks like both teams have kickers with strong legs but Weber State’s kicker has been pretty inconsistent. The rest of Weber States special teams look strong however and Chattanooga has struggled there at times this season.
I expect Weber State to be able to move the ball against our secondary if we aren’t able to get to the quarterback. If we can hit the quarterback early and often, it could be a long day for the Wildcats. If Craine is heathy, we should be able to run the ball, but Weber State has a battle hardened secondary and throwing the ball on them may be harder than we are used to.

All in all I expect a good game, and all of the above analysis is entertaining, but may just be that as they have played teams that are so far removed from each other an apples to apples comparison probably isn’t possible. Even if we had a clear cut X is better than Y, the games are played on Saturday for a reason.

My prediction:
Weber State 24
Chattanooga 31

If any Weber State fans are coming to the game and have any questions about where to stay or places to eat please let me know.

Current weather forecast for kickoff is 59*F and Sunny.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23952&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23953&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23954&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23955&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23956&stc=1

I like those stat comparisons you have at the bottom. Can you tell me the site where they are found?

www.MKsavedAGS.com

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2016, 05:41 PM
We hosted Fordham last year before we went to JSU.

I would love to have a big crowd but JSU Southerner may be right, we only had ~4900 for Indiana State in 2014 in the first round. By far our lowest attendance number since we were 1-11 in 2008. We normally run 9-10K.

I really have no clue how you guys don't draw more. Mocs play good football, have a nice stadium, and Chatty is full of other stuff to do before and after the game.

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2016, 06:16 PM
I really have no clue how you guys don't draw more. Mocs play good football, have a nice stadium, and Chatty is full of other stuff to do before and after the game.

Because most Moc alumni are at Neyland Stadium instead

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2016, 06:24 PM
I mean still, we have to compete with the Hicks and the Barners and we still have good attendance. Especially in the playoffs.

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2016, 06:28 PM
I like those stat comparisons you have at the bottom. Can you tell me the site where they are found?

www.MKsavedAGS.com (http://www.MKsavedAGS.com)

I pulled them from ncaa.com and put them in Excel.

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2016, 06:31 PM

I don't know either. To be honest it is embarrassing that we have had as good of run as we have had and still can only draw ~10K for a game in an area with as large of metro population as Chattanooga and with as many locals as we have.

JSU draws larger crowds and is in a more rural area.
WCU draws as large of crowds in in a MUCH more rural area, and haven't been as good. (no playoff appearances).
The Citadel draws larger crowds and is a much smaller school with fewer alumni.

I feel like we should average 15K per game at least, but what do I know.

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2016, 06:37 PM

You are probably right Rev. 15K Chattanoogans drive to Knoxville for UTK games. Many many more are tuned in on TV, not to mention the Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia fans that are prevalent in the area. I see more Power C stickers around than I used to, but honestly to most Chattanoogans (including Alumni and Students) anything outside of the P5 is D2. They don't know the difference between The University of North Alabama (D2), The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (FCS), and Middle Tennessee State University (FBS).

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2016, 06:39 PM
I mean still, we have to compete with the Hicks and the Barners and we still have good attendance. Especially in the playoffs.

As much as I dislike JSU (I think many UTC fans, including myself, would say JSU is our most bitter rivalry) I have to say I am envious of the amount of support you have managed to muster. I have been to several games in Jacksonville before and after the renovation and it is always near capacity.

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2016, 06:41 PM
Weber has a pretty stout D, If Chattanooga has one too they will probably win as Weber's O is rather anemic. If Chattanooga's D isn't very good this could be a close game.

Chattanooga's defense is quite good, especially the D line, but we did not play very well the second half of the season, and have only been tested by two teams with pass heavy attacks.

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2016, 06:54 PM
You are probably right Rev. 15K Chattanoogans drive to Knoxville for UTK games. Many many more are tuned in on TV, not to mention the Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia fans that are prevalent in the area. I see more Power C stickers around than I used to, but honestly to most Chattanoogans (including Alumni and Students) anything outside of the P5 is D2. They don't know the difference between The University of North Alabama (D2), The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (FCS), and Middle Tennessee State University (FBS).

same issue in Texas.

milleniumkat
November 22nd, 2016, 07:08 PM
I don't know either. To be honest it is embarrassing that we have had as good of run as we have had and still can only draw ~10K for a game in an area with as large of metro population as Chattanooga and with as many locals as we have.

JSU draws larger crowds and is in a more rural area.
WCU draws as large of crowds in in a MUCH more rural area, and haven't been as good. (no playoff appearances).
The Citadel draws larger crowds and is a much smaller school with fewer alumni.

I feel like we should average 15K per game at least, but what do I know.

When we came to JSU stadium for the "Crying Gate" game in 2014, there was hardly anyone there. (Because Bama had a game that day) I didn't see big crowds there until last year.

www.MKsavedAGS.com

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2016, 07:28 PM
When we came to JSU stadium for the "Crying Gate" game in 2014, there was hardly anyone there. (Because Bama had a game that day) I didn't see big crowds there until last year.

Funny you mention that game as having no one there. It was lowest attended game of the Grass era and it was still more people than have attended a game in Bowers in the past 4 years.

Katfan
November 22nd, 2016, 08:03 PM
Funny you mention that game as having no one there. It was lowest attended game of the Grass era and it was still more people than have attended a game in Bowers in the past 4 years.
Yeah no argument our attendance sucks 9500 is a good crowd for us. Best crowd I've seen was 2011 playoff with Montana.

Samalum'10
November 22nd, 2016, 08:10 PM
Yeah no argument our attendance sucks 9500 is a good crowd for us. Best crowd I've seen was 2011 playoff with Montana.
What a game that was! Alphajizz's meltdown was the icing on the cake...

CockyGeek
November 22nd, 2016, 08:19 PM
I might stop by and watch some of this game while I'm Ubering. I live in the area. I think Chattanooga rolls. That's a long way to travel to get a whuppin. No regionalization in this one.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Griz23
November 22nd, 2016, 08:39 PM
Nicely done Mocs123. I was impressed that you did the research. I'm not sure if Weber St. has ever been in the playoffs but they had a 6-2 conference record and my recollection is that they are usually in the bottom half of the conference. I suspect that they will have to have their best game of the season to be competitive in this one. At any rate I hope they have a safe flight and come out firing on all cylinders, have a lot of fun and who knows they may pull a rabbit out of the hat.

geaux_sioux
November 22nd, 2016, 09:13 PM
Weber is a solid team. Their kickoff return unit is hilarious because of the body types they have returning kicks. Pretty sure their stud is a fullback. They got athletes at the skill positions. Doubt they are going to win though, not that I've seen Chatty play but their reputation is that their d should be able to win this game.

milleniumkat
November 22nd, 2016, 09:22 PM

no there wasn't.

www.MKsavedAGS.com

milleniumkat
November 22nd, 2016, 09:23 PM

there wasn't anywhere close to 9500 in that stadium in 2014

www.MKsavedAGS.com

Scrappy94
November 22nd, 2016, 09:26 PM
As much as I would love to have a large crowd, I think we will have our lowest attendance of the season this Saturday. Thanksgiving weekend will keep lots of people away with families, traveling, etc. It doesn't help that it is rivalry week in FBS ball. Many will stay home to watch those televised games. The university is closed for Thanksgiving break beginning Wednesday with classes starting back Monday. All the students will have gone home to visit family for the break, so I doubt hardly any students show up, which isn't anything new since students never come to the games anyway. I like the way Coach Huesman has called out Chattanooga residents to come support the team Saturday in the media, but it won't make any difference in attendance, and I hate that for these coaches and players who deserve a big crowd.

I Bleed Purple
November 22nd, 2016, 09:45 PM
Go team.

I Bleed Purple
November 22nd, 2016, 09:52 PM
Though to be serious if you guys really want me to be since everyone has already predicted a loss, the last time we were in playoffs was 2009. Sent to W&M for 10:00 AM game and we were rolled.

We're an exceedingly average team across the board whose only reason we're 7-4 and not 6-5 is that Southern Utah thought our game was 55 minutes long.

The standouts at Weber historically play O-Line. This season is no exception. Also, even though the stats may say otherwise, Weber generally attracts good FCS cornerbacks. Reason passing stats are often skewed is Weber will often leave their corners on islands and let them defend. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's also why we were good against triple option since we could sell out on it due to corners being used to single man coverage.

Weber is weak on the edges. Gashed over and over again there. Everything else is exceedingly average FCS football team. Finally saw Clark hit a deep ball in the ISU game. Maybe he'll play his best game Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Weber is a solid team. Their kickoff return unit is hilarious because of the body types they have returning kicks. Pretty sure their stud is a fullback. They got athletes at the skill positions. Doubt they are going to win though, not that I've seen Chatty play but their reputation is that their d should be able to win this game.

Yep. Funny thing is he played safety against the triple option Cal Poly and had 15+ tackles.

Not really. Sometimes the screen game gets rolling. Weber plays lots of formations and lots of styles. Zone read, power, spread, we'll run it all.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2016, 09:58 PM
the last time we were in playoffs was 2009. Sent to W&M for 10:00 AM game and we were rolled.

Ogden Utah to Williamsburg, VA. Is that a regional bus ride to the NCAA?

longtimemocfan
November 22nd, 2016, 10:10 PM
We played with more energy than I've seen in several games against Alabama. Hopefully that will carry over into Saturday. Craine is very close to 100% so that should help as well.

Sam_Kats
November 23rd, 2016, 08:07 AM
Ah man, I miss AlphaGriz

moccasinjoe
November 23rd, 2016, 08:29 AM

I am a UTC Alumni from 1979 and have had season tickets since then which included some pretty dismal years. There is not anything 'Orange' in my possession. We need more fans, but average attendance has improved greatly under Huesman. In my opinion, Chattanooga people just don't know how good the 'football' product has been the last several years.

milleniumkat
November 23rd, 2016, 08:37 AM
I am a UTC Alumni from 1979 and have had season tickets since then which included some pretty dismal years. There is not anything 'Orange' in my possession. We need more fans, but average attendance has improved greatly under Huesman. In my opinion, Chattanooga people just don't know how good the 'football' product has been the last several years.

Drove through Chattanooga on the way to Rock City. Very cool looking town. I can imaging a fine place to take in a game. I'd be down for a home and home with you guys. Do you know people?

www.MKsavedAGS.com

moccasinjoe
November 23rd, 2016, 08:53 AM
Drove through Chattanooga on the way to Rock City. Very cool looking town. I can imaging a fine place to take in a game. I'd be down for a home and home with you guys. Do you know people?

Are you a Central Arkansas fan? I know a few people and could plant a seed with them. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Serpentor
November 23rd, 2016, 09:01 AM
Go team.

That's the most offensive comment I've seen on this whole thread!

chattanoogamocs
November 23rd, 2016, 12:35 PM
Sometimes being in the sticks like JSU or WCU works in their favor...it's the only game in town and it's an event. WCU and JSU also both draw a lot of extra people because of their exceptional band programs (I was at WCU a few weeks ago and at least 2,500 people stayed for the post game band performance).

The Citadel draws well because that schools is basically a big fraternity. All the **** they go through bonds them and makes them incredibly loyal to everyone who "wears the ring." The fact that the football players aren't typically given special treatment makes them much closer to their classmates. Add in that The Citadel basically controls the State of South Carolina makes their home games a "must see" event, especially now that they are really good.

Yes there are thousands of UTK season tickets holders in Chattanooga...but it is silly and false to say they are all UTC alums...most of those season ticket holders are UTK grads or fans and have been all their life. They aren't going to come to UTC game.

The reality is, most Chattanoogans think that FCS is DII and small time and could care less about watching UTC play a bunch of small private schools in the SoCon.

Do I feel this way? No. I love FCS football...especially because of the playoffs.

The Mocs were average to gawd awful for the better part of 30 years and that leaves us with generations of UTC alums with no allegiance to the program.

It is what it is. I don't spend any time worrying about things I have no control over. I go to the games, my parents go to the games, my son goes to the games, my close friends go to the game...I always have a good time. That's all that matters.

As pointed out, attendance has increased since Huesman took over the program and it will probably slowly continue to rise as long as they are a playoff contender every year. Attendance hurt this year because we no longer have an ASU or GSU to get people really excited (and who also bring good away crowds). JSU does the same.

Let me reiterate, I am not bagging on FCS or the SoCon. I am just commenting on the perception that non-UTC alums probably have about the FCS, especially being the literal crossroads of the SEC.

milleniumkat
November 23rd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Are you a Central Arkansas fan? I know a few people and could plant a seed with them. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Nah. SHSU fan. you don't want me in the house of anyone you know. Let alone planting seeds. See if you can get the game tho!

www.MKsavedAGS.com

ElCid
November 23rd, 2016, 01:48 PM
Sometimes being in the sticks like JSU or WCU works in their favor...it's the only game in town and it's an event. WCU and JSU also both draw a lot of extra people because of their exceptional band programs (I was at WCU a few weeks ago and at least 2,500 people stayed for the post game band performance).

The Citadel draws well because that schools is basically a big fraternity. All the **** they go through bonds them and makes them incredibly loyal to everyone who "wears the ring." The fact that the football players aren't typically given special treatment makes them much closer to their classmates. Add in that The Citadel basically controls the State of South Carolina makes their home games a "must see" event, especially now that they are really good.

Yes there are thousands of UTK season tickets holders in Chattanooga...but it is silly and false to say they are all UTC alums...most of those season ticket holders are UTK grads or fans and have been all their life. They aren't going to come to UTC game.

The reality is, most Chattanoogans think that FCS is DII and small time and could care less about watching UTC play a bunch of small private schools in the SoCon.

Do I feel this way? No. I love FCS football...especially because of the playoffs.

The Mocs were average to gawd awful for the better part of 30 years and that leaves us with generations of UTC alums with no allegiance to the program.

It is what it is. I don't spend any time worrying about things I have no control over. I go to the games, my parents go to the games, my son goes to the games, my close friends go to the game...I always have a good time. That's all that matters.

As pointed out, attendance has increased since Huesman took over the program and it will probably slowly continue to rise as long as they are a playoff contender every year. Attendance hurt this year because we no longer have an ASU or GSU to get people really excited (and who also bring good away crowds). JSU does the same.

Let me reiterate, I am not bagging on FCS or the SoCon. I am just commenting on the perception that non-UTC alums probably have about the FCS, especially being the literal crossroads of the SEC.

Yeah but we probably have the same problem you have. Lots of Cid grads go to Clemson and USC games instead of their own. Why? Because dad or mom, or sis or bro, or uncle or grandpa or whoever went there. Lots of inbreeding in SC between schools. I am sure that effects you as well with the Vols. It's not that they don't support the Mocs, but its not where the BIG party is going to be.

What got my goat was when my wife and I had club level seats for years, we would be watching our game and a bunch of grads would be clustered around the TV watching Clemson instead. I guess it was good they were at least there in the stadium, but they would almost ignore what was going on in our game right in front of them.

longtimemocfan
November 23rd, 2016, 03:59 PM

www.MKsavedAGS.com
That would be a fun series. I just wonder if the travel costs would be a issue.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2016, 04:54 PM

The Citadel draws well because that schools is basically a big fraternity. All the **** they go through bonds them and makes them incredibly loyal to everyone who "wears the ring." he fact that the football players aren't typically given special treatment makes them much closer to their classmates. Add in that The Citadel basically controls the State of South Carolina makes their home games a "must see" event, especially now that they are really good.

Understatement :D

WCU got 2500 at their post game? Heck we got that at our Thursday night rehersal last week. :D

milleniumkat
November 23rd, 2016, 07:12 PM
That would be a fun series. I just wonder if the travel costs would be a issue.

well we are playing Northdakota in a Home and home. and we played EWU a few years ago in one. Chatty ain't that far.

Big_Fan
November 23rd, 2016, 07:22 PM

Alabama has two major FBS programs with rabid, cradle to the grave fan bases. Calhoun county is only 30% smaller than Hamilton, and the drive to Tuscaloosa is about like Nooga to k-town. Within an hour's drive from Jacksonville there is more to do than within an hour of Nooga. Hamilton is marginally larger than Calhoun but when taken in context of its surroundings it is more 'in the sticks'

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2016, 07:53 PM
Alabama has two major FBS programs with rabid, cradle to the grave fan bases. Calhoun county is only 30% smaller than Hamilton, and the drive to Tuscaloosa is about like Nooga to k-town. Within an hour's drive from Jacksonville there is more to do than within an hour of Nooga. Hamilton is marginally larger than Calhoun but when taken in context of its surroundings it is more 'in the sticks'

What is there to do within an hour of J'Ville? Hell the closest Applebees is a half hour away.

Big_Fan
November 23rd, 2016, 08:02 PM
What is there to do within an hour of J'Ville? Hell the closest Applebees is a half hour away.
You must drive slowly. Birmingham is an hour, depending on where you are going. I can be in Southside in just over an hour.

chattanoogamocs
November 23rd, 2016, 10:19 PM
LOL, I knew someone from JSU would get all offended by my reference of being in the sticks. Dude, you hang a left at Gadsden and literally have to drive by a pig farm and Cooter Brown's to get to JSU...you are IN THE STICKS whether you are an "hour" from Birmingham or not. Visiting teams have to stay in Anniston.

But hey, all credit where it's due...the area around campus is pretty, the stadium is great (well, at least the new side is, the "away" side is a dump), the band is awesome and JSU has a great tradition of winning. With all that it is no surprise that they have great fan support.

Ok, enough with JSU fans obsession with all things Chattanooga and back to actually talking about Weber State and Chattanooga game. ;)

I just want to say that after what I have seen today, I will now be a Weber State fan for the rest of my life...

Many on here probably know about the elementary school bus crash that took 6 lives in Chattanooga yesterday. Well, Weber State has set up a fund to donate to Woodmore...and in just a few hours, they have already raised a couple thousand dollars. It puts a big ole lump in the my throat.

https://app.nickelteam.com/donate/embed.html?cid=5835d9c69228f38d637e33fe&sid=5835efb39228f38d637e3422&pid=twitter

And now that have announced that they are going to wear Woodmore stickers on their helmets for the game.

Class, absolute and total class. Like I said, I will now follow and root for Weber State the rest of my life.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15171323_10101193314450638_2317796904809200756_n.j pg?oh=12cef3e2f213c93b16dd4d167ae904b3&oe=58B65BA4

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15230602_10101193471146618_5311252304984059064_n.j pg?oh=4c8e554180abc0269b646094eac27745&oe=58C4882B

Big_Fan
November 23rd, 2016, 10:36 PM
LOL, I knew someone from JSU would get all offended by my reference of being in the sticks. Dude, you hang a left at Gadsden and literally have to drive by a pig farm and Cooter Brown's to get to JSU...you are IN THE STICKS whether you are an "hour" from Birmingham or not. Visiting teams have to stay in Anniston.

But hey, all credit where it's due...the area around campus is pretty, the stadium is great (well, at least the new side is, the "away" side is a dump), the band is awesome and JSU has a great tradition of winning. With all that it is no surprise that they have great fan support.

Ok, enough with JSU fans obsession with all things Chattanooga and back to actually talking about Weber State and Chattanooga game. ;)

The irony is that all of your commentary surrounds you attempting to make an excuse for the pathetic fan support in Chatty. Rather than just say "we sucked for almost all of our existence so nobody cares,including our administration.." you make excuses and then bash your betters. You were the one that brought up JSU... so who is obsessed? Even our visitor side is nicer than that hotdog stand with a wonderful view of a crack-house that you call home.

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2016, 12:31 AM
I do appreciate that this thread and that other thread is pretty much only inferiority complex posting rather than actual football. We're just apathetic here.

Catbooster
November 24th, 2016, 02:04 AM

I just want to say that after what I have seen today, I will now be a Weber State fan for the rest of my life...

Many on here probably know about the elementary school bus crash that took 6 lives in Chattanooga yesterday. Well, Weber State has set up a fund to donate to Woodmore...and in just a few hours, they have already raised a couple thousand dollars. It puts a big ole lump in the my throat.

https://app.nickelteam.com/donate/embed.html?cid=5835d9c69228f38d637e33fe&sid=5835efb39228f38d637e3422&pid=twitter

And now that have announced that they are going to wear Woodmore stickers on their helmets for the game.

Class, absolute and total class. Like I said, I will now follow and root for Weber State the rest of my life.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15171323_10101193314450638_2317796904809200756_n.j pg?oh=12cef3e2f213c93b16dd4d167ae904b3&oe=58B65BA4

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15230602_10101193471146618_5311252304984059064_n.j pg?oh=4c8e554180abc0269b646094eac27745&oe=58C4882B

Nice gesture from Weber State. South Dakota did a similar thing for Weber's coach's wife earlier in the season. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865667917/Weber-State-football-to-pay-forward-generosity-to-Chattanooga-bus-crash-victims-prior-to-playoff.html?pg=all

dgtw
November 24th, 2016, 06:31 AM
http://www.gomocs.com/news/2016/11/23/football-weber-state-chattanooga-partner-to-raise-funds-for-woodmore-elementary.aspx

Here is an article from the Chattanooga site about the stickers. It seems the coach was quite moved by the support his wife got and this is his way of paying it forward. Classy move indeed.

Sadly, a sixth child from the wreck has died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmrbearkat
November 24th, 2016, 01:55 PM

Talladega is within an hour correct? I assumed that's why I saw so many inbreds arlund Jacksonville. Assumed they just preferred being within walking distance of the holy land.

In all seriousness we flew into Aniston for the game and saw the speedway on approach. The size of that place seems so much bigger than Texas motor speedway. I'm not a NASCAR fan but it was impressive.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Talladega is within an hour correct? I assumed that's why I saw so many inbreds arlund Jacksonville. Assumed they just preferred being within walking distance of the holy land.

In all seriousness we flew into Aniston for the game and saw the speedway on approach. The size of that place seems so much bigger than Texas motor speedway. I'm not a NASCAR fan but it was impressive.
Well it's the largest track on the NASCAR circuit. So yeah. It's more than a mile longer than TMS.

Traffic south of Anniston is trash on race weekends.

citdog
November 24th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Traffic south of Anniston is trash on race weekends.

Works a couple of ways...

Milktruck74
November 24th, 2016, 06:57 PM

Classy move!!!! Thanks.

chattanoogamocs
November 24th, 2016, 07:37 PM
The irony is that all of your commentary surrounds you attempting to make an excuse for the pathetic fan support in Chatty. Rather than just say "we sucked for almost all of our existence so nobody cares,including our administration.." you make excuses and then bash your betters. You were the one that brought up JSU... so who is obsessed? Even our visitor side is nicer than that hotdog stand with a wonderful view of a crack-house that you call home.

This is a fricking post about Chattanooga and Weber and it is crawling with JSU fans...I don't go over and post on threads about JSU, because unless we are playing JSU, I don't give a **** about you or your team. Get it?

JaxSinfonian
November 25th, 2016, 05:41 AM

Actually, he made it a point to note the poor state of UTC's program for many years and threw a couple of compliments JSU's way. Chill, maybe? The only thing that could be interpreted as a slight was the "sticks" comment, and I could understand why he'd see it that way. Chattanooga fans typically have to drive into J'ville on 204, which, of the routes into town, is the likeliest to give that impression. I suppose it would have been cleaned up and developed by now, except ... it's the road to Chattanooga.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I'd given some thought to driving up for the Weber-Chattanooga game, but I suspect it won't happen. I'm out of town for the holiday and probably won't head home until Saturday morning. Still, I'm really curious to see how the Mocs perform. I only know about Weber what I've read here, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. At the risk of continued thread drift, I'll say that my primary interest in this is as a stepping stone to a UTC-SHSU game.

Big_Fan
November 25th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Actually, he made it a point to note the poor state of UTC's program for many years and threw a couple of compliments JSU's way. Chill, maybe? The only thing that could be interpreted as a slight was the "sticks" comment, and I could understand why he'd see it that way. Chattanooga fans typically have to drive into J'ville on 204, which, of the routes into town, is the likeliest to give that impression. I suppose it would have been cleaned up and developed by now, except ... it's the road to Chattanooga.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I'd given some thought to driving up for the Weber-Chattanooga game, but I suspect it won't happen. I'm out of town for the holiday and probably won't head home until Saturday morning. Still, I'm really curious to see how the Mocs perform. I only know about Weber what I've read here, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. At the risk of continued thread drift, I'll say that my primary interest in this is as a stepping stone to a UTC-SHSU game.
I said nothing negative about Chatty until he launched into an attack. I am not the one that needs to chill.

cx500d
November 25th, 2016, 09:55 PM
I don't think Weber is going to show up for this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milleniumkat
November 26th, 2016, 12:18 PM
This is a fricking post about Chattanooga and Weber and it is crawling with JSU fans...I don't go over and post on threads about JSU, because unless we are playing JSU, I don't give a **** about you or your team. Get it?

this!

www.MKsavedAGS.com

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Webers defense couldn't stop a stiff breeze.

milleniumkat
November 26th, 2016, 01:27 PM
outstanding weather yet garbage crowd for chatty. that's a shame for a good team to not be supported.

www.MKsavedAGS.com

F'N Hawks
November 26th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Weber is outmatched. Southern speed is too much in this one.

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Weber state looks horrible.

citdog
November 26th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Albany really was robbed. Big Fluffy deserved only two teams.

FargoBison
November 26th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Albany really was robbed. Big Fluffy deserved only two teams.

Agreed...Also the people ripping on ISUR getting in were complete fools.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Weber state looks horrible.

This here.

CockyGeek
November 26th, 2016, 02:42 PM
No surprise here. Chattanooga doesn't even need to come back out

F'N Hawks
November 26th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Agreed...Also the people ripping on ISUR getting in were complete fools.
To be fair the opponents are a bit different. UCA can't score and was spiraling downward. Good matchup for a tough running team.

But yes, Weber looks like ****.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Oh no...Weber State scored 19 on North Dakota and 22 in a victory over Cal-Poly! My bracket is blown. Doesn't look like they will score on the SoCon 3rd place finishing team, Chatt.

Wondering how good #2 seed EWU is now??? They had fairly similar scores as Weber against Portland State, Montana State, and Northern Arizona,

Maybe Weber is a 2nd half Team...either that or that conference out west might need to be renamed The Big Lie Conference :D

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Oh no...Weber State scored 19 on North Dakota and 22 in a victory over Cal-Poly! My bracket is blown. Doesn't look like they will score on the SoCon 3rd place finishing team, Chatt.

Wondering how good #2 seed EWU is now??? They had fairly similar scores as Weber against Portland State, Montana State, and Northern Arizona,

Maybe Weber is a 2nd half Team...either that or that conference out west might need to be renamed The Big Lie Conference :D
Well EWU took down Wazzou and took the Bison to OT in the dome so you tell us.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Well EWU took down Wazzou and took the Bison to OT in the dome so you tell us.

So, you're saying the PAC12 may suck too. That's kind of a given, isn't it?

But are you're also saying that the MVFC may not be 'all that,' as well?

Better watch that blaspheming here on AGS, sir!

CockyGeek
November 26th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I thought Chatty would put up 40 but it's looking closer to 50

UNHWildcat18
November 26th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Weber state should call Albany and apologize

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Weber State should not have been in the playoffs.

fmrbearkat
November 26th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Definately impressed with Chatty's front 7 and run defense. Secondary I'd say looks above average but not great. Receivers have way too much space but Weber sucks too bad to take advantage. Kats will pick this secondary APART!!

Qb looks descent, rb and run blocking look descent. Pass blocking looks like the weak spot. Our DL will eat these OL up. Weber st. DL isn't close to the Kats and they are getting a ton of pressure on the QB.

Weber stupid mistakes made this look a lot worse but you won't get those against us.

Kats will beat Chatty by 28....book it!

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2016, 03:44 PM
You got that right

FargoBison
November 26th, 2016, 03:45 PM
One thing you can book. Chatty is by far and away the best team SHSU will have played to date.

F'N Hawks
November 26th, 2016, 03:46 PM

Add A&T to that list.

Nooga was a bad matchup for them. Too fast, too many athletes.

fmrbearkat
November 26th, 2016, 03:47 PM
One thing you can book. Chatty is by far and away the best team SHSU will have played to date.

I don't disagree even slightly.

FargoBison
November 26th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I think Chatty-SHSU will be a good game but I'm not sure if the Mocs have the firepower to pull the upset.

It is interesting game though...SHSU may have gotten the toughest second round opponent.

grizband
November 26th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Announcers just stated that Coastal Carolina beat Hampton, to advance to the second round...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Announcers just stated that Coastal Carolina beat Hampton, to advance to the second round...

Really? Who they playing in the second round? :D App State?

Nickels
November 26th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Definately impressed with Chatty's front 7 and run defense. Secondary I'd say looks above average but not great. Receivers have way too much space but Weber sucks too bad to take advantage. Kats will pick this secondary APART!!

Qb looks descent, rb and run blocking look descent. Pass blocking looks like the weak spot. Our DL will eat these OL up. Weber st. DL isn't close to the Kats and they are getting a ton of pressure on the QB.

Weber stupid mistakes made this look a lot worse but you won't get those against us.

Kats will beat Chatty by 28....book it!
I thought the same as all of the above...

fmrbearkat
November 26th, 2016, 04:11 PM

thats why. Saw it earlier and it confused me.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23964&stc=1The

LuckyKat
November 26th, 2016, 04:37 PM
I think Chatty-SHSU will be a good game but I'm not sure if the Mocs have the firepower to pull the upset.

It is interesting game though...SHSU may have gotten the toughest second round opponent.

agree, Chatty is a solid opponent , but at the end of it, they wont be have enough fire power to keep up

Cocky
November 26th, 2016, 04:37 PM

While JSU is in a small town we are surrounded by a fairly large population. Close to a million people live within 50 miles of JSU.

Cocky
November 26th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Is the Big Sky any better than the OVC? 6 and 2 in conference?

chattanoogamocs
November 26th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Just finished booking my flight to Houston. Meeting with a number of other fans from around the country and we'll head up to Huntsville on Saturday morning.

Though I am not sure why I am going, Chattanooga apparently has no chance of winning. Hopefully the Mocs can just keep it under a 30 point loss.

F'N Hawks
November 26th, 2016, 04:43 PM

Chattanooga in the OVC?

LuckyKat
November 26th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Just finished booking my flight to Houston. Meeting with a number of other fans from around the country and we'll head up to Huntsville on Saturday morning.

Though I am not sure why I am going, Chattanooga apparently has no chance of winning. Hopefully the Mocs can just keep it under a 30 point loss.

Cause the Weathers nice, and the Women are Beautiful,
Make the best of it,,,

longtimemocfan
November 26th, 2016, 07:32 PM
agree, Chatty is a solid opponent , but at the end of it, they wont be have enough fire power to keep up

We can score in a hurry and did have a lot of big scoring plays today. In general we do hit a least one home run ball. We're a run first team anyway and no I don't think we'll try and get into a shootout with SHSU. If anything it might be smart and try and slow things down with ball control to limit some of the Bearkat possessions.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2016, 08:02 PM

...and Cal Poly is trying to be the 1st team ever to lose to a PFL Team in the Playoffs. They just tied it up with the benefit of a 2nd half opening KOR to about the SD 5YL after trailing 14-0 most of the 1st half.

Looks like Big Lie Conference should have been only a 2 bid League, regardless of how the SD-CP game ends up. Not sure, now, about them having 2 seeded Teams, either.

If Weber needs to call Albany and apologize, who should Cal Poly be calling?

kdinva
November 26th, 2016, 08:07 PM

nuttin' like grade-A game prep......those same announcers will soon say the Celebration Bowl is one of the FCS tourney quarterfinal games.... xbangx xreadx

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2016, 08:09 PM

Safe travels. If I wasn't volunteering Saturday at our Christmas festival, I'd be making the drive up

citdog
November 26th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Safe travels. If I wasn't volunteering Saturday at our Christmas festival, I'd be making the drive up

I think my cousin, the Jewish Carpenter, would have gone to the game...

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2016, 08:32 PM
I think my cousin, the Jewish Carpenter, would have gone to the game...

they would have called him a hippie in Huntsville

milleniumkat
November 26th, 2016, 09:08 PM
I hate to say it but at this point, based on the weather conditions and the matchup, I'm picking Chatty to be the first road team to win in Huntsville...ever. Maybe my gut will tell me different later in the week. As for today, Old MK picked all the winners...which troubles me for this week. Safe trip, should be a cold wet saturday.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Give credit where it's due...UTC is the best team in the wild card round.

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Give credit where it's due...UTC is the best team in the wild card round.

...or they played one of the worst. Guess we'll see next week.

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2016, 10:09 PM
...or they played one of the worst. Guess we'll see next week.
I'm surprised Chattown hasn't barged in slinging his dick around proclaiming the Mocs are the best team ever because they won the "first of many playoff games".

Mocs123
November 27th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I just want to say thank you to the Weber State fans that made the trip and to the program and fans for their initiative to help the woodland park elementary families. You have a classy coach and program.

Cocky
November 27th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Chattanooga in the OVC?
No Weber is in the Big Sky.