View Full Version : El Cid the #6 seed? Why?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Ran the table in the #2-rated FCS conference, is in the top 20 in the FCS in attendance, what is the justification for the #6 seed?

JMad03
November 20th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Attendance has absolutely nothing to do with it.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2016, 01:25 PM
No real reason, IMO. They should've been the 3rd or 4th seed [JMU 3, El CID 4, IMO]. JSU 5, SHSU 6.

RootinFerDukes
November 20th, 2016, 01:25 PM
SHSU was in the semifinals and JSU in the championship game in 2015. They haven't lost to FCS opponents since. That's why.

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 01:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMCaHxZuf94

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Ran the table in the #2-rated FCS conference, is in the top 20 in the FCS in attendance, what is the justification for the #6 seed?

Why?

4 of the 5 above them have a better resume IMO.

Longhorn
November 20th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I think the real reason is Mike Houston is now the coach of JMU. If he had stayed at the Cit they would have been seeded #1 xthumbsupx

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Why?

4 of the 5 above them have a better resume IMO.

How exactly?

Show your work xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2016, 01:45 PM
How exactly?

Show your work xlolx

Small differences in the top teams. SOS

Gardner Webb
North Greenville University

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Small differences in the top teams. SOS

Gardner Webb
North Greenville University

Gardner Webb beat Charleston Southern on the road and didn't need overtime to do it.
North Greenville was a DII Playoff Team
3 Top 25 wins.
Undisputed SoCon Champions

paward
November 20th, 2016, 01:57 PM
The Citadel can thank us later.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Gardner Webb beat Charleston Southern on the road and didn't need overtime to do it.
North Greenville was a DII Playoff Team
3 Top 25 wins.
Undisputed SoCon Champions

NDSU:

Win versus a #11 ranked Iowa
Beat 4 other teams in the playoffs
Beat 7 teams that were ranked

Like I said, SOS was weighed heavily on each team's resume, according to the committee chair that was on the radio here earlier.

hebmskebm
November 20th, 2016, 02:00 PM
the 3 through 6 seeds were an absolute logjam this year

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 02:02 PM
NDSU:

Win versus a #11 ranked Iowa
Beat 4 other teams in the playoffs
Beat 7 teams that were ranked

Like I said, SOS was weighed heavily on each team's resume, according to the committee chair that was on the radio here earlier.

I have no beef with y'all being #1 it is with JMU being #4. There is no way to justify SHSU or JMU being ahead of The Citadel.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM
I have no beef with y'all being #1 it is with JMU being #4. There is no way to justify SHSU or JMU being ahead of The Citadel.

What was Citadel's SOS compared to the others? IDK?

Nickels
November 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM
We'd be happy to trade. I'd much rather have the 6th than 5th seed in this bracket.

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 02:06 PM
What was Citadel's SOS compared to the others? IDK?

Google is your friend...

xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Google is your friend...

xnodx

Saragin rankings:

JMU: #80
SHSU: #94
Citadel: #107

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Sam Houston has a win over 1 team that made the FCS playoffs. Has no FBS win. The Citadel has a win over 3 playoff teams and beat Wofford in their late-season surge.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 20th, 2016, 02:13 PM
JMU beat three playoff teams (Richmond, Villanova, UNH), all on the road. JMU blew out the teams they were supposed to. JMU looked better against UNC than the Citadel did.

BearDownMU
November 20th, 2016, 02:18 PM
But weren't we talking about strength of schedule?

The Citadel - 171
JMU - 190
SHSU - 220

DirtyDukes
November 20th, 2016, 02:21 PM
JMU beat three playoff teams (Richmond, Villanova, UNH), all on the road. JMU blew out the teams they were supposed to. JMU looked better against UNC than the Citadel did.

DingDingDing

CID1990
November 20th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I don't think the argument is with JMU as much as it is SHSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kalm
November 20th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I don't think the argument is with JMU as much as it is SHSU.

Yep. And JSU.

Still a decent draw for the CID. I think they match up well with JSU.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I think the real answer is there were 6 teams that had a legitimate argument for a top 4 seed and two of those teams were going to be left out. It wasn't anything The Citadel failed to do.

At least The Citadel won't have a super-long trip for their quarterfinal game, assuming the seeds hold. They'll have a chance to prove their worth against a Jacksonville State team that probably isn't as good as last year's version.

ElCid
November 20th, 2016, 04:42 PM

There is no doubt we dropped the ball in the game yesterday. Literally as well. 4 turnovers was horrible. Special teams were bad as well. However, we did have a much better D since JMU gave up 635 yards to UNC. Wow. The Bulldogs gave up only 356. Eliminate the turnovers and no Pick 6 or Kickoff TD return and we could have been there, but alas, the boys just were not in it for some reason. Having dominated TOP and outgaining them, it should have been a 1-2 score game, and not the 34 points it was. JMU lost by 28. Ehh, one score better. I am not too upset about the seed. It is arguable that we might deserve a little higher. Hopefully this was our "oh well" game and we got it out of our system.

As it is, The Citadel is still on a pretty good run for all of 2015 and 2016 to date.

19-5 over the last 24 games.

18-3 over the last 21 FCS games. (2015 and 16 to date) (CSU, CSU, UTC)

10-4 over the last 14 road games. (2 FBS, UNC & Ga So and 2 FCS, CSU & UTC)

9-1 over the last 10 home games. (CSU)

Go...gate
November 20th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Good luck to The Citadel in the play-offs. You guys are truly under-seeded.

TheRevSFA
November 20th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Yeah I think El Cid is my dark horse.

Best of luck gents

ElCid
November 21st, 2016, 07:32 AM
Yeah I think El Cid is my dark horse.

Best of luck gents

Maybe. We have been on a high all year. I figured the UNC game would be a let down. Need to see how they respond after a week off.

DirtyDukes
November 21st, 2016, 07:40 AM
There is no doubt we dropped the ball in the game yesterday. Literally as well. 4 turnovers was horrible. Special teams were bad as well. However, we did have a much better D since JMU gave up 635 yards to UNC. Wow. The Bulldogs gave up only 356. Eliminate the turnovers and no Pick 6 or Kickoff TD return and we could have been there, but alas, the boys just were not in it for some reason. Having dominated TOP and outgaining them, it should have been a 1-2 score game, and not the 34 points it was. JMU lost by 28. Ehh, one score better. I am not too upset about the seed. It is arguable that we might deserve a little higher. Hopefully this was our "oh well" game and we got it out of our system.

As it is, The Citadel is still on a pretty good run for all of 2015 and 2016 to date.

19-5 over the last 24 games.

18-3 over the last 21 FCS games. (2015 and 16 to date) (CSU, CSU, UTC)

10-4 over the last 14 road games. (2 FBS, UNC & Ga So and 2 FCS, CSU & UTC)

9-1 over the last 10 home games. (CSU)

There's no difference between giving up 56 points and 41 if you only score 7.

ElCid
November 21st, 2016, 08:19 AM
There's no difference between giving up 56 points and 41 if you only score 7.

Actually their is 15 points difference. Math...its fundamental. Nice try at spin, but fail.

DirtyDukes
November 21st, 2016, 08:26 AM
Actually their is 15 points difference. Math...its fundamental. Nice try at spin, but fail.

*There
*It's

English... it's fundamental...

And by your metric our Offense is 3 TDs better than yours, while our D is only 2 TDS worse than yours.

We beat the #2-5 teams in the CAA on the road this year. I realize everyone thinks this is a down year for the CAA, but even so, who else can make that argument? 3 of those teams are playoff teams.

RootinFerDukes
November 21st, 2016, 08:29 AM

Well then there's a 21 point difference on the points scored column.

flyrod
November 21st, 2016, 08:32 AM

This!

Katfan
November 21st, 2016, 08:37 AM
Saragin rankings:

JMU: #80
SHSU: #94
Citadel: #107
Is that the same Sagarin that predicted a UCA win over SHSU?

flyrod
November 21st, 2016, 08:38 AM
I think the Citadel has the best draw and chances on advancing deeper then they realize.
if they were ranked higher, I dont think they would survive the Gauntlet the upper bracket has in it...
but that's my thoughts and IDKJ...

ElCid
November 21st, 2016, 08:39 AM
*There
*It's

English... it's fundamental...

And by your metric our Offense is 3 TDs better than yours, while our D is only 2 TDS worse than yours.

We beat the #2-5 teams in the CAA on the road this year. I realize everyone thinks this is a down year for the CAA, but even so, who else can make that argument? 3 of those teams are playoff teams.

Hey, it's early and I just woke up. Gimme a break.

We beat our top 5 teams in the SOCON as well...and everyone else in the SOCON to boot....with the SOCON being the #2 FCS Conf per multiple computer rankings. And while we played only two of those top 5 teams on the road, we have had to play 7 games total on the road due an odd scheduling year and the hurricane. I should have added that it included 3 playoff teams as well. And in the UNC game two of those scores were special teams and a pick 6 so no, it wasn't 2 TDs worse, but 4 to be precise.

I said it many times, I think JMU has a really explosive offense, but their defense is not top shelf. Houston will change that, but it will take time.

ex189
November 21st, 2016, 08:39 AM
The Citadel has had an outstanding season and quite frankly deserved a higher seed. It is my opinion that the #6 seed was not a result of what the Citadel has accomplished as much as it was for the Selection Committee to slot them into a spot that would dramatically reduce travel for the first 2 rounds. Purely regionalization in my opinion but what the heck do I know. You guys have earned all the respect and are going to be a team that causes problems in the playoffs.

ElCid
November 21st, 2016, 08:42 AM
The Citadel has had an outstanding season and quite frankly deserved a higher seed. It is my opinion that the #6 seed was not a result of what the Citadel has accomplished as much as it was for the Selection Committee to slot them into a spot that would dramatically reduce travel for the first 2 rounds. Purely regionalization in my opinion but what the heck do I know. You guys have earned all the respect and are going to be a team that causes problems in the playoffs.

Good estimate of their intent. I also think it may have been the close scores. Flashy numbers must have an impact on them.

flyrod
November 21st, 2016, 08:43 AM
I said it many times, I think JMU has a really explosive offense, but their defense is not top shelf. Houston will change that, but it will take time.

We have already seen some of that change take place during the season. Right after the UNH game there was a true visible change starting to take effect.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 09:38 AM

If it was up to me, I would have given the #5 and #6 seeds to SHSU and JSU. Having said that, both of those teams were worthy top four seeds, along with NDSU, EWU, JMU, and The Citadel. Two of those teams were going to get the short end of the stick unfortunately.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2016, 09:40 AM
If it was up to me, I would have given the #5 and #6 seeds to SHSU and JSU. Having said that, both of those teams were worthy top four seeds, along with NDSU, EWU, JMU, and The Citadel. Two of those teams were going to get the short end of the stick unfortunately.
Yep, agree completely.

NDSU, EWU, JMU, The Citadel, SHSU, JSU should've been the order IMO. It would've sucked for whoever ended up at #5 and #6 because most every year what they all did this year is good enough for a top 4, if not a top 2, seed. Not this year though.

walliver
November 21st, 2016, 09:47 AM
There was a Citadel grad on the Committee. Maybe he was the stimulus for the National Championship of the Sovereign State of South Carolina playoff series.

It makes travel easier, but part of the fun of the playoffs is playing new teams, not next-door neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nickels
November 21st, 2016, 12:28 PM
You guys are putting way too much into the seed number. There's no difference between 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6 or 7 & 8.

CID1990
November 22nd, 2016, 10:13 AM
I think the Citadel has the best draw and chances on advancing deeper then they realize.
if they were ranked higher, I dont think they would survive the Gauntlet the upper bracket has in it...
but that's my thoughts and IDKJ...

Well I hope you're right about us going deep but there's nothing un-gauntlet-like about our bracket. It's brutal and loaded with teams that gobble option attacks.

Maybe that's why we threw so much against VMI.... practice for the inevitable Wofford/CSU matchup.