Villanova leads series 1-0
Last Game: 1938 Villanova 10 St.Francis 0

St.Francis Head Coach
Chris Villarreal 7th year 31-45

Villanova Head Coach
Andy Talley 37th season 257-154-2; 32nd season @ Villanova 229-136-1

Stats:
http://www.sfuathletics.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2016
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/stats/season_stats.pdf

Longhorn
November 20th, 2016, 12:08 PM
St. Francis 7-4 @ Villanova 8-3
Saturday, November 26th 2pm

1st meeting between the 2 schools.

Will they have a Catholic Priest in the replay booth? xpeacex

CHIP72
November 20th, 2016, 12:24 PM
At least the game isn't in Loretto - near and just west of the Allegheny Front there can be all sorts of interesting weather in the winter.

aceinthehole
November 20th, 2016, 01:16 PM
It's the Franciscans vs. the Augustines!

I like the matchup between the 2 Catholic universities, but the Friars from Loretto have a tall order in front of them.

Hope the NEC representative puts up a good game, but also rooting for Southern Connecticut State alumn Andy Talley.

ValleyTalk
November 20th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Good luck to my fellow Catholics in this one! xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I would think Villanova by 17 in this one. Saint Francis looked off yesterday, but made it look close in the end.

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 01:42 PM
St. Francis is not a bad team. I saw them in person against the Griz in the first game and they are tough and stubborn. It will be a hard hitting game. Lorenzo Jerome could play for anybody.

RedFlash
November 20th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Hopefully Lorenzo is available on Saturday. I know he played early against Wagner but I don't think he played more then 2-3 series. Not sure if that was by design or if he aggravated his injury.

Either way, the Flash will have their hands full. They did not look good yesterday. Thinking Nova will be at least a 16-17 point favorite.

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Villanova looked awful against JMU. Obviously the Dukes had something to do with it.

kdinva
November 20th, 2016, 02:05 PM
'Nova wins by 12 before 3,422 fans..

HailSzczur
November 20th, 2016, 02:38 PM

Fr. Rob is usually on the sidelines

KPSUL
November 20th, 2016, 05:14 PM

I heard the video feed will go straight to the Vatican.

hebmskebm
November 20th, 2016, 05:37 PM
For curiosity's sake I've attempted to list all FCS Catholic schools, let me know if I missed any:

Villanova
St. Francis
Sacred Heart
Fordham
Holy Cross
Georgetown
Incarnate Word
Dayton
San Diego

CatsWin
November 20th, 2016, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=hebmskebm;2418537]For curiosity's sake I've attempted to list all FCS Catholic schools, let me know if I missed any:

How about Marist out of the Pioneer Conference?

Villanova
St. Francis
Sacred Heart
Fordham
Holy Cross
Georgetown
Incarnate Word
Dayton
San Diego

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2016, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=hebmskebm;2418537]For curiosity's sake I've attempted to list all FCS Catholic schools, let me know if I missed any:

Villanova
St. Francis
Sacred Heart
Fordham
Holy Cross
Georgetown
Incarnate Word
Dayton
San Diego

Duquesne as well.

polsongrizz
November 20th, 2016, 06:14 PM
http://www.dumptackle.com/WebRoot/Store2/Shops/es137660/4EB8/04EF/A8B1/C2C4/1953/0A0F/1119/5982/Jesus-Hates_Sky_Ghost.jpgxthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2016, 06:14 PM

Marist renounced its affiliation a number of years ago.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/908700/posts?page=5

CatsWin
November 20th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that. That's interesting.

[QUOTE=CatsWin;2418544]

Marist renounced its affiliation a number of years ago.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/908700/posts?page=5

ValleyTalk
November 20th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that. That's interesting.
Very very interesting.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2016, 07:45 PM
'Nova wins by 12 before 3,422 fans..

I'll take the under on both

Go...gate
November 20th, 2016, 09:12 PM
I heard the video feed will go straight to the Vatican.

In that case, my $$ is on St. Francis. Let's not forget the first name of the Holy Father, even though he is a Jesuit....

Bluefish845
November 20th, 2016, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=CatsWin;2418544]

Duquesne as well.

Valparasio...Lutheran

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 20th, 2016, 10:18 PM
It's the Franciscans vs. the Augustines!

I like the matchup between the 2 Catholic universities, but the Friars from Loretto have a tall order in front of them.

Hope the NEC representative puts up a good game, but also rooting for Southern Connecticut State alumn Andy Talley.

Country Catholics versus City Catholics.

Either the Catholics plant a college in the wilderness or in the metropolis.

And I am a Methodist fan.

At least the game isn't in Loretto - near and just west of the Allegheny Front there can be all sorts of interesting weather in the winter.

St. Francis 7-4 @ Villanova 8-3
Saturday, November 26th @ 2pm

Villanova leads series 1-0
Last Game: 1938 Villanova 10 St.Francis 0

St.Francis Head Coach
Chris Villarreal 7th year 31-45

Villanova Head Coach
Andy Talley 37th season 257-154-2; 32nd season @ Villanova 229-136-1

Kansas last beat Texas in 1938 and look what happened. Parallel, maybe?

St. Francis is not a bad team. I saw them in person against the Griz in the first game and they are tough and stubborn. It will be a hard hitting game. Lorenzo Jerome could play for anybody.

Thanks, Citdog!

I was very proud of their fight in that game, however we played poorly against Towson and Wagner. We have room for massive improvement.

Hopefully, we can keep him.

Congratulations on the Citadel's great season. I always like to see the southern military schools do well. Army should steal your coach and play The Citadel instead of the Patriot League teams.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Franks Tanks;2418568]

Valparasio...Lutheran

Yet, they are the Crusaders!

What is an awesome moniker, I wish St. Francis followed suit.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 20th, 2016, 10:20 PM
I have never been so excited for a game. I should be able to make it since it is Thanksgiving Break at my Division III school. The Red Flash need to set up a great tailgate.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and we are not St. Francis (PA), we changed our name and appearance to St. Francis University.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 06:12 AM
I have never been so excited for a game. I should be able to make it since it is Thanksgiving Break at my Division III school. The Red Flash need to set up a great tailgate.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and we are not St. Francis (PA), we changed our name and appearance to St. Francis University.

As long as there is a St. Francis in NYC that plays DI college basketball like the St. Francis in Loretto (and ironically in the same league), the St. Francis between Altoona and Johnstown will be St. Francis (PA) to me. That's not meant as an insult; I call Miami (FL) by that name to distinguish them from Miami (OH), even though the Florida-based school is considerably more prominent.

HailSzczur
November 21st, 2016, 06:41 AM
As long as there is a St. Francis in NYC that plays DI college basketball like the St. Francis in Loretto (and ironically in the same league), the St. Francis between Altoona and Johnstown will be St. Francis (PA) to me. That's not meant as an insult; I call Miami (FL) by that name to distinguish them from Miami (OH), even though the Florida-based school is considerably more prominent.

Then there's St Joes, or SJU(PA) that I like to use to piss off their fans.....

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 06:56 AM
Then there's St Joes, or SJU(PA) that I like to use to piss off their fans.....

Be careful - I root for the Hawks (and all of the Big Five/City Six, though St. Joe's is my favorite). I'll forgive you this time. :)

I do make a distinction if schools have the same name but only one of them is a Division I school - in that case the D1 school is merely the name of the school and the lower-level schools are name (state abbreviation). There are a couple of D2 schools in Pennsylvania like that - IUP is Indiana (PA) to distinguish from the Indiana in that state and CalU is California (PA) for similar reasons. (The state schools in the states of Indiana and California are merely Indiana and California to me.)

UAalum72
November 21st, 2016, 07:32 AM
St. Francis (NY) aka St Francis (Brooklyn) is a College, St Francis PA is a University.

I wonder how long Sagarin and others will list "Albany-NY" so nobody confuses us with the D-II is southwest Georgia. And I refuse to call the USMA "Army West Point" until the army has a team at another location.

RedFlash
November 21st, 2016, 07:50 AM
Personally, I prefer to simply use "StFU" when referring to the Red Flash.

Laker
November 21st, 2016, 08:05 AM
Yet, they are the Crusaders!

What is an awesome moniker, I wish St. Francis followed suit.

D3 St. John's University of Minnesota is as rural as you can get. Beautiful place to visit or watch a football game. I was there Saturday to see them win on the last play of the game.

I'm a Methodist. We need all the help we can get!

Crown College in Minnesota was the Crusaders but is now the Storm. They thought that it might offend someone. I'm wondering if we kept score on how many crusaders have hurt people in the last year compared to how many storms have, it would be quite lopsided.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2016, 08:21 AM
Both schools in the Northeast Conference changed their preferred nomenclature a few years ago, but most news outlets and SIDs outside of the conference have not caught up.

St. Francis College in New York recently chose to emphasize it's location within the City, and is now rebranded as St. Francis Brooklyn, or St. Francis (BKN).
http://www.sfcathletics.com/news/2012/11/27/GEN_1127120701.aspx?path=general

Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania has chosen to empashise its "University" status as part of its identity. Also, they don't like it when you abbreviate Saint with St. (although almost no one follows that guidance), so their preferred sports identity is Saint Francis U.
http://sfuathletics.com/news/2012/8/30/GEN_0830125524.aspx
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/francis.sidearmsports.com/documents/2016/10/6/Athletics_Style_Guide.pdf

St. Francis (NY) / SFNY is now properly abbreviated as SFC (St. Francis College Brooklyn)
St. Francis (PA) / SFPA is now properly abbreviated as SFU (Saint Francis University)

Although I'm not sure what the 'official' NCAA abbreviations are for the 2 schools, and the national media outlets like ESPN may be using the former names and acronyms in their publications.

---

I know the NCAA abbreviates Central Connecticut State University as Central Conn. St. in official documents, although the school never uses this abbreviation - we use CCSU.

ESPN and other national news outlets like CBS, often use their own abbreviations, such as Cent. Conn. St. or C. Conn. St., which are not approved usages by the school.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 09:30 AM
Personally, I prefer to simply use "StFU" when referring to the Red Flash.

+1

Don't mess with the Red Flash!

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 09:34 AM
St. Francis (NY) aka St Francis (Brooklyn) is a College, St Francis PA is a University.

I wonder how long Sagarin and others will list "Albany-NY" so nobody confuses us with the D-II is southwest Georgia. And I refuse to call the USMA "Army West Point" until the army has a team at another location.

I think the Albany in New York brands itself as "Albany", while the Albany in Georgia (which I think is where all the Jones brothers who played in the NBA in the 1980s - Caldwell, Major, Charles, etc. - went to school) brands itself as "Albany State".

UAalum72
November 21st, 2016, 09:52 AM
Unfortunately the former State University of NY at Albany (SUNYA, which spelled backwards is pronounced AYNUS) and now officially The University at Albany, SUNY, uses UAlbany, which is supposed to be an informal nickname but is unpronounceable until you hear "You-Albany". It's useful for a local newspaper headline where it might be confused with Albany High, but I don't like it otherwise. Same with the official name, which half of outsiders say University OF Albany. Goes with our all-sports conference that has people adding an "N' to make American East.

The Pennsylvania goes well with St. Francis to make StFUP

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 21st, 2016, 10:00 AM

As an Army fan, I can't stand the West Point addition. It is tacky.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 21st, 2016, 10:03 AM
D3 St. John's University of Minnesota is as rural as you can get. Beautiful place to visit or watch a football game. I was there Saturday to see them win on the last play of the game.

I'm a Methodist. We need all the help we can get!

Crown College in Minnesota was the Crusaders but is now the Storm. They thought that it might offend someone. I'm wondering if we kept score on how many crusaders have hurt people in the last year compared to how many storms have, it would be quite lopsided.

If I ever get up to Minnesota, I will check it up.

#TeamMethodist

Name changes like those are foolish. The Crusades were just wars, besides the Storm is a poor name.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 21st, 2016, 10:05 AM
Both schools in the Northeast Conference changed their preferred nomenclature a few years ago, but most news outlets and SIDs outside of the conference have not caught up.

St. Francis College in New York recently chose to emphasize it's location within the City, and is now rebranded as St. Francis Brooklyn, or St. Francis (BKN).
http://www.sfcathletics.com/news/2012/11/27/GEN_1127120701.aspx?path=general

Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania has chosen to empashise its "University" status as part of its identity. Also, they don't like it when you abbreviate Saint with St. (although almost no one follows that guidance), so their preferred sports identity is Saint Francis U.
http://sfuathletics.com/news/2012/8/30/GEN_0830125524.aspx
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/francis.sidearmsports.com/documents/2016/10/6/Athletics_Style_Guide.pdf

St. Francis (NY) / SFNY is now properly abbreviated as SFC (St. Francis College Brooklyn)
St. Francis (PA) / SFPA is now properly abbreviated as SFU (Saint Francis University)

Although I'm not sure what the 'official' NCAA abbreviations are for the 2 schools, and the national media outlets like ESPN may be using the former names and acronyms in their publications.

---

I know the NCAA abbreviates Central Connecticut State University as Central Conn. St. in official documents, although the school never uses this abbreviation - we use CCSU.

ESPN and other national news outlets like CBS, often use their own abbreviations, such as Cent. Conn. St. or C. Conn. St., which are not approved usages by the school.

I have a family member in a high position at Saint Francis U and it drives her crazy that the big networks haven't followed the university's wishes.

I will remember that you use CCSU.

HailSzczur
November 21st, 2016, 10:49 AM
Be careful - I root for the Hawks (and all of the Big Five/City Six, though St. Joe's is my favorite). I'll forgive you this time. :)

I do make a distinction if schools have the same name but only one of them is a Division I school - in that case the D1 school is merely the name of the school and the lower-level schools are name (state abbreviation). There are a couple of D2 schools in Pennsylvania like that - IUP is Indiana (PA) to distinguish from the Indiana in that state and CalU is California (PA) for similar reasons. (The state schools in the states of Indiana and California are merely Indiana and California to me.)

I mean to me SJU is St John's, since we play them multiple times a year. So if you were to abbreviate on our schedule, we would have 3 SJU games per year.

Plus I know it pisses some St. Joe's fans off.

Thumper 76
November 21st, 2016, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Red Flash upset Nova, but I don't see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2016, 11:11 AM
I have a family member in a high position at Saint Francis U and it drives her crazy that the big networks haven't followed the university's wishes.

I will remember that you use CCSU.

It doesn't help that both SFU and SFC are small, private institutions with less than 2,500 undergrads and reside in the same athletic conference. I know both schools were trying to improve their brand, but its hard to do that for 2 schools without a national profile to begin with. To be relevant for the national and general public, their similarities have dictated that most people in the media still use St. Francis (NY) and St. Francis (PA) - it sucks for them, but is totally understandable.

As someone noted, the NCAA officially uses Miami (OH) and Miami (FL) to distinguish between the 2 schools. I understand why the Albany (NY) bothers Dane fans, as Albany State (GA) is in a lower division, but a lot of that is historical as SUNY Albany is a relative newcomer to DI and was formerly know as the NY State teaching college at Albany, which may also have caused some confusion. The NCAA also does the same thing for St. John's (NY) while all other schools of the same name are in a lower division.

The CCSU / Central Conn. State thing doesn't bother me or I think the school too much. I love our informal moniker, but I fully recognize it doesn't have the National recognition of UCLA or UNLV. More recently we have tried to deemphasize "State" and brand as just "Central Connecticut"

What I really don't understand is why Central Florida and South Florida insist on branding themselves as UCF and USF respectively. IMO, those acronyms don't carry the weight of history. I get they don't like the whole 'directional' thing, but they avoid almost all reference to their name in their branding which leaves out their greatest marketing asset - FLORIDA. Plus, let's be honest we aren't confusing those 2 schools with the UF or FSU anytime soon.

Sorry for the tangent.

UAalum72
November 21st, 2016, 11:45 AM
What I really don't understand is why Central Florida and South Florida insist on branding themselves as UCF and USF respectively. IMO, those acronyms don't carry the weight of history. I get they don't like the whole 'directional' thing, but they avoid almost all reference to their name in their branding which leaves out their greatest marketing asset - FLORIDA. Plus, let's be honest we aren't confusing those 2 schools with the UF or FSU anytime soon.
Albany had played South Florida in basketball, the next week some fans of Holy Cross, who we played next, looked at our schedule and thought we had played San Francisco.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 11:57 AM
I mean to me SJU is St John's, since we play them multiple times a year. So if you were to abbreviate on our schedule, we would have 3 SJU games per year.

Plus I know it pisses some St. Joe's fans off.

Perhaps Villanova fans need to make like the MVFC fans on here and refer to the two schools as SJU(h) (St. Joe's) and SJU(r) (St. John's).

Laker
November 21st, 2016, 01:11 PM
Yesterday I was at the Gopher women's basketball game against Seton Hall. They put up other scores from around the country. Montana State was playing the University of G. That is all that they could get on that line. I had to look it up when I got home. Great Falls (MT). Why not use Great Falls instead of having it get cut off. People just don't think.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2016, 01:14 PM
'Nova wins by 12 before 34 fans..
FIFY!

Gangtackle11
November 21st, 2016, 01:47 PM
Game analysis:
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13818

RedFlash
November 21st, 2016, 02:40 PM
That's a pretty good analysis, at least from the StFU side. Their defense has been their strength - at least prior to Lorenzo Jerome's injury. He should be back and close to full speed this week which will be a big boost. They'll need a defensive or ST score to have any shot at the upset.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 21st, 2016, 04:01 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

C'mon Thanksgiving Break!

RedFlash
November 21st, 2016, 08:25 PM
Nova is a 14.5 point favorite according to http://www.sportbet.com/lines/football_college_extra

Over/under 37.5.

Only Weber St. (+15) is a bigger underdog this weekend.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 09:39 PM
For Saint Francis fans attending the game, the trip from Loretto and the greater Altoona/Johnstown area to Villanova is straightforward:

1) Take whatever route you'd typically take to get to the PA Turnpike (US 22/I-99, PA 56, or a different route) and drive east on I-76 to the Valley Forge interchange (Exit 326)
2) Get off the Turnpike and take I-76/Schuylkill Expressway for about 5 miles to I-476 (Blue Route)
3) Drive south on I-476 for about 2-3 miles to US 30 (Lancaster Avenue) and go east on US 30

Villanova University is I'm guessing about 1-2 miles east of the I-476/US 30 interchange, right along US 30. You'll actually drive by most of the campus before reaching the stadium, which is on the east end of the campus. Most parking will be on the right (south) side of US 30, while the stadium is right along the road on the left (north) side. Incidentally, the Pavilion, the home arena for Villanova basketball, is a short distance to the northwest of the west end zone of Villanova Stadium.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 11:27 PM
Nova is a 14.5 point favorite according to http://www.sportbet.com/lines/football_college_extra

Over/under 37.5.

Only Weber St. (+15) is a bigger underdog this weekend.

I'll (obviously) be rooting for Villanova on Saturday, but even if the Wildcats prevail, I hope the Red Flash are competitive in their first DI-AA playoff appearance. My graduate school alma mater, IUP (a D2 playoff perennial), just played Fairmont State this past weekend in the West Virginia school's first-ever D2 playoff appearance. The Crimson Hawks quite frankly embarrassed FSU in that game, beating them 62-13 (and it wasn't even that close; IUP led 56-0 in the 4th quarter). I honestly felt bad for Fairmont State in that game. Though I hope Villanova beats Saint Francis, I don't want to see the Red Flash squashed like a bug on a windshield in their first-ever playoff game like Fairmont State was.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 22nd, 2016, 12:05 AM
I'll (obviously) be rooting for Villanova on Saturday, but even if the Wildcats prevail, I hope the Red Flash are competitive in their first DI-AA playoff appearance. My graduate school alma mater, IUP (a D2 playoff perennial), just played Fairmont State this past weekend in the West Virginia school's first-ever D2 playoff appearance. The Crimson Hawks quite frankly embarrassed FSU in that game, beating them 62-13 (and it wasn't even that close; IUP led 56-0 in the 4th quarter). I honestly felt bad for Fairmont State in that game. Though I hope Villanova beats Saint Francis, I don't want to see the Red Flash squashed like a bug on a windshield in their first-ever playoff game like Fairmont State was.

My aunt who works at Saint Francis previously had a job at IUP. Great program there.

kdinva
November 22nd, 2016, 08:45 AM
FIFY!

That'll leave a mark.....xspankx

HailSzczur
November 22nd, 2016, 11:07 AM
Early forecast calling for a high of 52 Saturday. Should be nice for kick off, but pretty cold by the end of the game

RedFlash
November 22nd, 2016, 12:33 PM
Yeah, would have preferred a noon or 1:00 pm kickoff but as long as there is no precipitation, I can live with a little cold in the 4th quarter.

i_got_a_fever
November 22nd, 2016, 12:51 PM
We'll be watching in South Dakota. If you're planning on traveling to Brookings for the game pack your coveralls...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedFlash
November 23rd, 2016, 11:12 AM
Hmm ... If the Flash can somehow win this weekend, Brookings is only a 17.5 hour drive from Loretto ....

Seahawks Fan
November 23rd, 2016, 11:57 AM
Go Red Flash!

Grizalltheway
November 23rd, 2016, 02:24 PM

Oh man, the (sad) irony of St. Francis being in and the Griz being out, after being dismissed as a cupcake by a good chunk of our fans before the game.

Best of luck to STFu.

Gangtackle11
November 23rd, 2016, 03:05 PM
Villanova -14.5 (37.5 O/U)

RedFlash
November 23rd, 2016, 04:24 PM
Villanova -14.5 (37.5 O/U)

Anyone know the last time a two touchdown underdog won an FCS playoff game?

Thumper 76
November 23rd, 2016, 05:04 PM
Hmm ... If the Flash can somehow win this weekend, Brookings is only a 17.5 hour drive from Loretto ....

As long as the weather cooperates:D

Gangtackle11
November 23rd, 2016, 05:13 PM
As long as the weather cooperates:D

We will discuss hopefully next week this with interest, but a windy awful day wouldn't be a bad thing for Nova. Horrible for the fans, but good for the game plan. I think that weather is more detrimental to SDSU offense than Nova's from the games I've watched so far.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2016, 08:24 PM
I suspect a game with a lot of 'crossing patterns'...xangelxxpeacexxsmiley_wix

Sandlapper Spike
November 23rd, 2016, 10:09 PM

Sorry for the tangent.

South Florida going with "USF" tends to result in a few people calling them the Dons...

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2016, 11:07 PM
South Florida going with "USF" tends to result in a few people calling them the Dons...

Well, some mafia members do move to south Florida (or Tampa) after they retire from their "careers"...maybe they were USF's benefactors but wanted to keep that connection low key. :)

Gangtackle11
November 24th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Villanova & StFU fans!

Villanova Game Notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20161124aaa.pdf

RedFlash
November 24th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Villanova & StFU fans!

Villanova Game Notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20161124aaa.pdf

StFU Game Notes: http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/francis.sidearmsports.com/documents/2016/11/22/SFU_Villanova_Notes.pdf

Thumper 76
November 24th, 2016, 07:23 PM
We will discuss hopefully next week this with interest, but a windy awful day wouldn't be a bad thing for Nova. Horrible for the fans, but good for the game plan. I think that weather is more detrimental to SDSU offense than Nova's from the games I've watched so far.

I would tend to lean that way as well, but with our qb and two best recieving threats being from the area I would hope the weather isn't that huge of a deal to them. I'm definitely curious. I wouldn't think the weather will bother Nova like it has a lot of teams late in the year in Brookings, but I didn't think it would with teams from Ohio and Illinois either. Some late season games against ISUr, YSU, and then EIU in the playoffs kinda surprised me, those boys didn't want to be on that tundra for a second.

Gangtackle11
November 25th, 2016, 02:07 AM
I would tend to lean that way as well, but with our qb and two best recieving threats being from the area I would hope the weather isn't that huge of a deal to them. I'm definitely curious. I wouldn't think the weather will bother Nova like it has a lot of teams late in the year in Brookings, but I didn't think it would with teams from Ohio and Illinois either. Some late season games against ISUr, YSU, and then EIU in the playoffs kinda surprised me, those boys didn't want to be on that tundra for a second.

The temperatures forecasted currently 18-28 degrees in Brookings certainly aren't ideal, but not any type of temperatures that either Villanova or St.Francis don't see from time to time. Put a minus sign in front of those numbers & it's a different story.

Excited to get it started. St.Francis has some weapons including a 6'4" WR with 1300 yards or so. He could present a matchup problem if Nova doesn't apply pressure on QB. That said Nova has a very strong defensive team that no team to date as really dominated them including Pitt, Richmond, or JMU. When Nova loses it's been because the offense bogs down & its lead to putting the defense in precarious situations leading to short field scores. Rarely has a team driven the length of the field on them this season.

I expect Villanova's offense to play like they have against comparable defenses like St.Francis like Maine or Delaware. Expecting them to be able to move the ball on the ground and attack when given the opportunity passing the ball.

I have to believe that playing a top level CAA team like Villanova is like Nova playing an FBS opponent like Pitt. They have a small window to pull off the upset, but on any given Saturday they have that punchers chance. I'm biased, but after watching the Red Flash against Sacred Heart & Wagner I don't see it. I like Nova by more than the 14.5 points they are favored in Vegas.

The crowd of 2000-3000 or so will be NEC like that's for sure. See you Saturday Red Flash.

Lehigh'98
November 25th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Good luck to both teams. A StFU upset would be interesting to see for sure and great for the NEC. Not seeing it here though. Nova's defense is solid. Also, it sets up a more intriguing matchup next week.

28-10 Wildcats

Gangtackle11
November 25th, 2016, 09:29 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20161125_Agenda__Villanova_vs__St__Francis__Pa__.h tml?mobi=true

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I really want to see 'Nova's defense face SDSU!

I have 'Nova 31-13 against Saint Francis.

Gangtackle11
November 25th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Interesting tidbit to the game is St.Francis game notes says Villanova won 10-0 in 1938. Villanova has no record of a game being played.

Also how many FCS schools have beaten Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Clemson, Penn State, Miami, South Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, & Florida State? Just to name a few wins by Villanova in the 40s,50s, & early 60s.

ElCid
November 25th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Interesting tidbit to the game is St.Francis game notes says Villanova won 10-0 in 1938. Villanova has no record of a game being played.

Also how many FCS schools have beaten Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Clemson, Penn State, Miami, South Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, & Florida State? Just to name a few wins by Villanova in the 40s,50s, & early 60s.

The St Francis game was against the Villanova "B team" (JV). Looks like they fielded a team for the first time in about 8 years that year and wanted some reps.

We haven't beat all those teams, but we did beat Arkansas in '92, SC in '90 and 2015 and various and sundry service academies in the 80s/90s.

Lehigh'98
November 25th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Anyone know the last time a two touchdown underdog won an FCS playoff game?

I think Colgate was a 2 td dog to JMU last year, but don't remember exact number

RedFlash
November 25th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I think Colgate was a 2 td dog to JMU last year, but don't remember exact number

Thanks '98. At least there's a ray of hope for my Flash.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2016, 05:38 AM
LET'S GO NOVA!!

downbythebeach
November 26th, 2016, 01:27 PM
What do you guys think about that muffed punt call? Hard to tell with only one angle.

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Looked like the right call.

StFU hanging in there early. Need to hold them to a FG here though

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2016, 01:39 PM
The Red Flash offense has struggled with only 2 mins TOP, but a bomb gets them on the scoreboard. 10-7 Nova

downbythebeach
November 26th, 2016, 01:40 PM
TD SFU! Kam Lewis
10-7

downbythebeach
November 26th, 2016, 01:41 PM
The Red Flash offense has struggled with only 2 mins TOP, but a bomb gets them on the scoreboard. 10-7 Nova

I'm ok with that cause that is basically our offense.

downbythebeach
November 26th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Lorenzo Jerome not playing as far as I can tell

downbythebeach
November 26th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Wow we are getting exploited!
VU not making mistakes no penalties for them and no turnovers (atleast none that were called)

kdinva
November 26th, 2016, 05:12 PM
St. Francis never quit, made it a 31-21 game, 'Nova takes the game, moves on.....I have respect for the Flash.....just think if they had 63 schollies and a 12,000 seat venue...

aceinthehole
November 26th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Way to rep the NEC!

Congrats to SFU on a historical season for all the Red Flash fans.

:)

CatsWin
November 26th, 2016, 06:02 PM
St Francis fans traveled well. Way to represent.

Just a few observations. I'm not sure if the Flash were nervous or what, but they had a ton of false start penalties. At one point, they had back to back false starts. Also, they had to call at least 3 time outs due to only having 10 players on the field. That is inexcusable after a full season of play.

All in all a good game by the Wildcats and a gritty St Francis team. Off to South Dakota next week.

RootinFerDukes
November 26th, 2016, 06:47 PM
So I focused on the unh game and only had this game on to the side on mute. What exactly happened in the second half to let SFU only lose by 10. I think it was 31-7 at the half so VU was shut out in the second half and allowed 14 unanswered points? Were they just content to coast and shut the offense down?

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2016, 07:15 PM
So I focused on the unh game and only had this game on to the side on mute. What exactly happened in the second half to let SFU only lose by 10. I think it was 31-7 at the half so VU was shut out in the second half and allowed 14 unanswered points? Were they just content to coast and shut the offense down?

Pretty much. Villanova gave up 2 Tds in 4th & 1 was a 78yd pick 6 with about 8 minutes left. I never understand Nova's play calling. They throw more than should when they have 3+ TD leads instead of playing the clock. Did it in several games where big leads turned into small leads. I swear the DC is going to punch out the OC someday with his play calling.

VUCats02
November 26th, 2016, 07:50 PM

Just a few observations. I'm not sure if the Flash were nervous or what, but they had a ton of false start penalties. At one point, they had back to back false starts. Also, they had to call at least 3 time outs due to only having 10 players on the field. That is inexcusable after a full season of play.

All in all a good game by the Wildcats and a gritty St Francis team. Off to South Dakota next week.

With regards to the false starts, that is what is considered the "Tanoh Kpassagnon Effect".

HailSzczur
November 26th, 2016, 08:27 PM
I need a video of that Tanoh Kpassagnon sack in the 3rd quarter. That was one of the best hits I've seen live in a long time. Probably going to be the top highlight they show of him on draft day

HailSzczur
November 26th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Question on a couple rules things I'd never seen

1. Why did they run an untimed down at the end of the 1st quarter?
2. Why did they do a 10 second run off at the end of the 2nd quarter for a defensive player losing his helmet? What's stopping players from "accidentally having their helmets come off" to deliberately waste time?

downbythebeach
November 27th, 2016, 02:43 PM

All in all a good game by the Wildcats and a gritty St Francis team. Off to South Dakota next week. SFU traveled pretty well, as this was probably our biggest game ever. That was still cool to see though.

Throughout the season we always had a ton of penalties each game. Those roughing the passer penalties killed us and that targeting one on the last play of the first half was unnecessary. The game was pretty much over at that point anyway, but that was probably our best olineman that got disqualified so there goes any chance of a comeback.

downbythebeach
November 27th, 2016, 02:47 PM

1. Why did they run an untimed down at the end of the 1st quarter?
2. Why did they do a 10 second run off at the end of the 2nd quarter for a defensive player losing his helmet? What's stopping players from "accidentally having their helmets come off" to deliberately waste time? Yeah that was weird. I dont think I have ever seen that before, and I am not sure how that makes any sense. If we were actually closer to the goal line that would have been interesting.

Gangtackle11
November 27th, 2016, 02:50 PM
SFU traveled pretty well, as this was probably our biggest game ever. That was still cool to see though.

Throughout the season we always had a ton of penalties each game. Those roughing the passer penalties killed us and that targeting one on the last play of the first half was unnecessary. The game was pretty much over at that point anyway, but that was probably our best olineman that got disqualified so there goes any chance of a comeback.

The Red Flash brought 3 loaded busses of fans. Team got behind early & definitely penalties did keep Nova drives alive. It was a bad play by your lineman who could of seriously hurt our kid prone on the ground. Definitely an easy call to make for the refs.

Your team played tough in 2nd half & didn't quit. That was good to see. Talley is not a guy to run up big scores, but I think it would have been ok to get into the 40s. St.Francis had something to do with that with their spirited play to the end.

HailSzczur
November 27th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Your team played tough in 2nd half & didn't quit. That was good to see. Talley is not a guy to run up big scores, but I think it would have been ok to get into the 40s. St.Francis had something to do with that with their spirited play to the end.

There's running up the score, and then there's putting the game away. Seemed more worried about killing the clock than they did about anything else in the 2nd half.

It's interesting, I went to a presentation my SR year given by a professor doing analytics research in soccer. He had studied aggressiveness of play (defined by % of passes in the attacking third) of teams relative to the score differential. His research found that if teams that played less aggressive than their average rate while holding a lead or tie were less likely to preserve that result. In otherwords, parking the bus and defending for long stretches of time doesn't work. I'd be curious to see how that would apply to football, in relation to run/pass ratio or time between plays.

RedFlash
November 27th, 2016, 04:06 PM

2. Why did they do a 10 second run off at the end of the 2nd quarter for a defensive player losing his helmet? What's stopping players from "accidentally having their helmets come off" to deliberately waste time?

I'm pretty sure the ref's blew this interpretation. Here's the rule:

ARTICLE 9. a. If a player’s helmet comes completely off through play,other than as the direct result of a foul by an opponent, the player must leave the game for the next down. The game clock will stop at the end of the down. The player may remain in the game if his team is granted a charged timeout.b. When the helmet coming off is the only reason for stopping the clock,other than due to an injury to the player or his teammate (Rule 3-3-5),the following conditions apply (A.R. 3-3-9-I-III):
1. The play clock will be set at 25 seconds if the player is on offense and at 40 seconds if the player is on defense. With one minute or more remaining in either half, the game clock will start on the referee’s signal.
2.If there is less than one minute in the half the opponent has the option of a 10-second runoff, unless the helmet comes off as the direct result of a foul by the opponent.

Not sure how they don't get that right.

RedFlash
November 27th, 2016, 04:21 PM
I have to say I was really impressed by Villanova. They have a lot of speed on the defensive side of the ball. Every time I thought Bagley or one of the other StFU RB's had the chance for a nice gain, someone stepped into the hole or ran the play down from the back side. And StFU really hurt themselves with penalties - not that they were unexpected. They were the most penalized team in the NEC - which is something I hope they try to clean up next year. Two of the personal foul calls were against freshmen, who were probably a little over hyped early on. (And if playing against Kpassagnon wasn't tough enough, I noticed that VU kept the music playing over the stadium sound system at the start of one of StFU's possessions in the 2nd quarter which resulted in a false start penalty.) VU was really disciplined - not picking up a penalty until the 3rd quarter IIRC.

Offensively, Bednarczyk was better then advertised. He really did a nice job of making the right reads and keeping StFU's defense off balance. His only bad decision of the day was the pass that got picked-off. I'll be curious to see how they match up with SDSU. I'll be pulling for them.

HailSzczur
November 27th, 2016, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the ref's blew this interpretation. Here's the rule:

ARTICLE 9. a. If a player’s helmet comes completely off through play,other than as the direct result of a foul by an opponent, the player must leave the game for the next down. The game clock will stop at the end of the down. The player may remain in the game if his team is granted a charged timeout.b. When the helmet coming off is the only reason for stopping the clock,other than due to an injury to the player or his teammate (Rule 3-3-5),the following conditions apply (A.R. 3-3-9-I-III):
1. The play clock will be set at 25 seconds if the player is on offense and at 40 seconds if the player is on defense. With one minute or more remaining in either half, the game clock will start on the referee’s signal.
2.If there is less than one minute in the half the opponent has the option of a 10-second runoff, unless the helmet comes off as the direct result of a foul by the opponent.

Not sure how they don't get that right.

Yeah, that's gotta be it. They asked the wrong team if they wanted a run off it appears.
Not sure how they thought giving the offense less time due to a defensive mistake was right.....

jacks10
November 29th, 2016, 02:26 PM
After watching this game I was not impressed with NOVA as much as i was looking at them on paper. After going back and looking at their season they tend to struggle to put up second half points. Could be the coach doesnt like to run up the score or they arent good at adjusting their game plan in the second half

Gangtackle11
November 29th, 2016, 02:42 PM
After watching this game I was not impressed with NOVA as much as i was looking at them on paper. After going back and looking at their season they tend to struggle to put up second half points. Could be the coach doesnt like to run up the score or they arent good at adjusting their game plan in the second half

A little of both actually.