PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 13

carney2
November 20th, 2016, 11:37 AM
The Bonus Edition is up for comment.

Tom Gilmore vs. A Huge Lynch Mob
Frank Tavani vs. Reality

Pick of the Week: Looks like big upsets in both contests. Whoda thunk even two weeks ago.

ColgateTD
November 20th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Going with Lynch Mob and Tavani.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Tavani's comments are disturbing: not stopping coaching until he decides not to or dies... and LC is not telling him to stop. It took them 10 years to fire our WBB coach who averaged 3-29 each year.

ngineer
November 20th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Need to give Lafayette a new marketing handle, "Constipation College...Where No One Gives a *****"

The Boogie Down
November 20th, 2016, 02:08 PM
No comment on the 2 matches slated above (except that the league could be hit with 2 horrific results of course) but I've got the league champs as my bonus pick. UNH is a Paper Wildcat so I'll use my one and only prediction this year on Lehigh.

Lehigh'98
November 20th, 2016, 02:17 PM
No comment on the 2 matches slated above (except that the league could be hit with 2 horrific results of course) but I've got the league champs as my bonus pick. UNH is a Paper Wildcat so I'll use my one and only prediction this year on Lehigh.

I hope we can do what Colgate did last year and dismantle UNH. However, they are tough at home. Wish this was at Goodman, but it is what it is. Let's pick up a W.

Southsider
November 20th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Frank Tavani vs. Reality

Pick of the Week: Looks like big upsets in both contests. Whoda thunk even two weeks ago.

Speaking of how Leopard Land is out of control, I thought the PSA on the big screen was laughable. Aside from the fact that I am not on board with all of the PC bulls**t, the line where it said "if you can coach, then you can coach" made me want to barf. Clearly, if you can't coach, you are still permitted to coach! And, why were the idiot demonstrators allowed to assemble in front of the main entrance?

RichH2
November 20th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Need to give Lafayette a new marketing handle, "Constipation College...Where No One Gives a *****"

Priceless :)
Albeit frustrating for Pard fans. Get the impression that LC would be much happier without an Athletic Dept.

KPSUL
November 20th, 2016, 08:35 PM

Frank Tavani vs. Reality

This thread is not getting many looks, but in my opinion, this may be the funniest post of the season!xbowx

ngineer
November 20th, 2016, 08:41 PM

Frank Tavani vs. Reality

My gut tells me Gilmore survives one more year with the 'promise' of Pujals returning and the Frankasaurus returns....just because, which I think is the Laughyette policy standard. Cur non? (;-)

crusader11
November 20th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Gilmore is returning as head coach. This has been confirmed.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2016, 12:08 AM

Pretty sure this makes "entropy" the pick of the year here

An idle thought I had during the game last Saturday was that Reed and Shafnisky are exactly the polar opposites of the types of QBs both schools used to recruit. Lehigh used to go with pocket passers like Reed; Lafayette used to go with more dual-threat guys like Shafnisky. When both schools had QBs that didn't fit their prototypical mold, one coach changed the gameplan to fit his talent, and the other didn't.

Fordham
November 21st, 2016, 02:50 AM
Stunning. Sorry HC fans

carney2
November 21st, 2016, 07:38 AM

A known quantity before this thread was posted. Also "known" was Tavani's diatribe about coming back for another year (or more). This thread is merely an attempt to focus a spotlight on these two ridiculous circumstances (only in the Patriot League, and only at these two institutions) and elicit some commentary.

Lehigh'98
November 21st, 2016, 07:44 AM
All kidding aside, it's terrible for Lafayette fans and ex players. Shows a complete lack of awareness or just apathy towards the sports programs.

Sader87
November 21st, 2016, 07:59 AM
Gilmore should have been fired after the 2014 season....at just about any other FCS school, he probably would have been.

He basically has held onto the job for a variety of reasons. HC fired their basketball coach after the 2014-15 season....the thinking being, was that it would be too much turmoil in the athletic dept. for the new AD to deal with/bring about in replacing head coaches at both these sports. Also, HC has only halfway into the scholarship-era at that point...again, it was justified that Gilmore deserved 4 years of scholarships to see what he could do.

The mistake AD Nate Pine made was in extending Gilmore's contract in 2015 through 2018. It was probably determined that on a cost-benefit analysis, it was easier, cheaper etc to keep Gilmore after this year rather than buying out his contract.

And here we are....it's a mess sadly.

CFBfan
November 21st, 2016, 09:00 AM

WOWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! so bad for Cross fans and the PL

RichH2
November 21st, 2016, 09:06 AM
A known quantity before this thread was posted. Also "known" was Tavani's diatribe about coming back for another year (or more). This thread is merely an attempt to focus a spotlight on these two ridiculous circumstances (only in the Patriot League, and only at these two institutions) and elicit some commentary.

I would say these moves are Chaos Theory at play. Certainly not entropy, perhaps ennui a better word at least on College Hill. Of the 2 Gilmore is perhaps more defensible. His teams always well coached if under talented. That cannot be said for Tavani.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2016, 09:07 AM
WOWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! so bad for Cross fans and the PL

Gilmore returning to HC, Tavani back at Lafayette, Lehigh's failed attempt to host and Georgetown finishing off an 0-6 conference mark. Not a good weekend for the PL. The league still has a ways to go to catch the CAA in terms of commitment for FCS football....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2016, 09:10 AM
Gilmore returning to HC, Tavani back at Lafayette, Lehigh's failed attempt to host and Georgetown finishing off an 0-6 conference mark. Not a good weekend for the PL. The league still has a ways to go to catch the CAA in terms of commitment for FCS football....

Check back next Sunday

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2016, 09:14 AM
Check back next Sunday

Lehigh MUST win on Saturday. Beating a ho-him UNH team is not going to convince me. JMU would be a much better barometer this year....

CFBfan
November 21st, 2016, 09:15 AM
4 years of scholarships (more for FU) have yielded little. gate had a nice run last year BUT after returning 20 starters crapped the bed this year.
the league has not played well OOC over the last 2 - 3 years. Gate is looking at it's 2nd 10 game schedule in a row.
Cross sux, LC sux, Gtown.....nothing needs to be said here, the Bison suck! LU has be been respectable, FU with 6 years of schollies is not consistent at ALL, couldn't even win a weak league. the PL is in trouble!!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2016, 09:20 AM
4 years of scholarships (more for FU) have yielded little. gate had a nice run last year BUT after returning 20 starters crapped the bed this year.
the league has not played well OOC over the last 2 - 3 years. Gate is looking at it's 2nd 10 game schedule in a row.
Cross sux, LC sux, Gtown.....nothing needs to be said here, the Bison suck! LU has be been respectable, FU with 6 years of schollies is not consistent at ALL, couldn't even win a weak league. the PL is in trouble!!!!

Fordham has been consistent but they did nothing to push the league further. They basically performed as a good as some of the non-scholarship PL teams in the past. Unless the league can get everyone on board I don't see the league moving forward. I know some of the Fordham fans have been really riled up and I'm starting to see their disastisfaction with the league. I don't think it has much to do with AI's and redshirting being the difference. More so with just committing to winning by doing the little things like firing a coach like Frank Tavani or hosting playoff games against teams like Wagner and a 7-4 UNH team....

LehighU11
November 21st, 2016, 09:26 AM
And, why were the idiot demonstrators allowed to assemble in front of the main entrance?

According to the LC board, the VP of Campus Life (who the AD happens to directly report to) organized the demonstration. If that is the case, then the current state of athletics on College Hill should come as no surprise. If the goal of LC athletics is to be a means of promoting a political platform rather than to compete and advance the stature of the college through success on the playing field, Lafayette will continue to suffer through disappointing losing seasons.

The apathy and lack of action concerning their downward spiral is truly a shame for the Leopards' fans. They are a dedicated bunch, as evidenced by their top-rate facilities and impressive Rivalry week contributions. It's telling that 152 wasn't even remotely close to a sellout despite a 70 degree sunny day in November. They pulled in over 15,900 back in 2008 on the most miserable day out of the ten I've attended--the wind chill was in the teens.

Lehigh'98
November 21st, 2016, 09:46 AM
Fordham has been consistent but they did nothing to push the league further. They basically performed as a good as some of the non-scholarship PL teams in the past. Unless the league can get everyone on board I don't see the league moving forward. I know some of the Fordham fans have been really riled up and I'm starting to see their disastisfaction with the league. I don't think it has much to do with AI's and redshirting being the difference. More so with just committing to winning by doing the little things like firing a coach like Frank Tavani or hosting playoff games against teams like Wagner and a 7-4 UNH team....

AI and redshirting make a big difference, don't kid yourself.. You are correct that accountability to do a good job can be improved upon though.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2016, 09:50 AM
The protest was silent and it was their right to do so. The protesters were the absolute least of LC's concerns athletically. The fact that it was a non-sellout, with most fans gone in the 3Q, has to be much higher on the priority list.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2016, 09:54 AM
AI and redshirting make a big difference, don't kid yourself.. You are correct that accountability to do a good job can be improved upon though.

Redshirting hurts in the beginning of the year and especially against FBS teams. This is why I'm not a huge fan of scheduling "reach" FBS opponents. By this time of the year I don't think it really matters. I'm not overly sure how the AI works but just talking with people I get the sense that Lehigh has a large pool of recruits to choose from regardless of it....

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 10:03 AM
Check back next Sunday

I would hope the Patriot League champion could beat what was likely, at best, the 4th best CAA team this season, even on the road.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2016, 10:06 AM
I would hope the Patriot League champion could beat what was likely, at best, the 4th best CAA team this season, even on the road.

Yup! Although, I feel like Lehigh football is similar to Temple basketball under Fran Dunphy (Lehigh needs lights and Dunphy needs to retire). Just good enough to be legitimate nationally but ultimately accomplish very little when it matters....

Andy
November 21st, 2016, 10:17 AM
LehighU11

I've said as much on the LC board, but not as well stated. I hope you don't mind, I'm going to post your comment on our board. President Byerly announced that a consulting firm has been hired to study LC's lack of competitiveness in the PL. Tragically the VP you mention (background in residence life and "Diversity Officer" with no interest in athletics) will head the committee that the firm reports to (Only at LC !) She has made it known that she does not believe in firing coaches.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2016, 10:32 AM
I know I'm speaking to the choir, but just some food for thought - when Lehigh went 3-8 in 2014 (including a bad loss in L-L 150 at Yankee Stadium in which Lafayette dominated the Mountain Hawks), many people were up in arms and thought there should be heat on Andy Coen. That was Coen's first losing season since 2009 (with Lehigh winning at least 8 games in each of the four seasons in between), and Lehigh's worst season since 1992. By contrast, when Frank Tavani wins a combined 3 games in the last 2 seasons and hasn't had a winning season since 2009, the Lafayette administration thinks that's perfectly acceptable. Even my father, who only watches Lafayette games because they are on WBPH Channel 60 (my parents don't have cable) has told me multiple times this year Lafayette needs to fire Frank Tavani. Frankasaurus has been like a dead man walking with his football team the last couple of years. It's appalling what's occurring on Easton's College Hill with regard to the namesake football team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2016, 10:35 AM
I know I'm speaking to the choir, but just some food for thought - when Lehigh went 3-8 in 2014 (including a bad loss in L-L 150 at Yankee Stadium in which Lafayette dominated the Mountain Hawks), many people were up in arms and thought there should be heat on Andy Coen. That was Coen's first losing season since 2009 (with Lehigh winning at least 8 games in each of the four seasons in between), and Lehigh's worst season since 1992. By contrast, when Frank Tavani wins a combined 3 games in the last 2 seasons and hasn't had a winning season since 2009, the Lafayette administration thinks that's perfectly acceptable. Even my father, who only watches Lafayette games because they are on WBPH Channel 60 (my parents don't have cable) has told me multiple times this year Lafayette needs to fire Frank Tavani. Frankasaurus has been like a dead man walking with his football team the last couple of years. It's appalling what's occurring on Easton's College Hill with regard to the namesake football team.

What hurt Lafayette imo was the belief that 2014 and to some extent 2013 were successful, quality seasons. That game at Yankee Stadium was nothing more than one terrible team Lehigh and one below average team Lafayette and one great player. There was nothing to build off especially when that one great player graduated. Lafayette touted that as the greatest win in program history?!?! What?!?!?

The 2013 team at least won the league despite not being a very good team overall.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2016, 10:36 AM
According to the LC board, the VP of Campus Life (who the AD happens to directly report to) organized the demonstration. If that is the case, then the current state of athletics on College Hill should come as no surprise. If the goal of LC athletics is to be a means of promoting a political platform rather than to compete and advance the stature of the college through success on the playing field, Lafayette will continue to suffer through disappointing losing seasons.

The apathy and lack of action concerning their downward spiral is truly a shame for the Leopards' fans. They are a dedicated bunch, as evidenced by their top-rate facilities and impressive Rivalry week contributions. It's telling that 152 wasn't even remotely close to a sellout despite a 70 degree sunny day in November. They pulled in over 15,900 back in 2008 on the most miserable day out of the ten I've attended--the wind chill was in the teens.

Officially, about 500 tickets went unsold, but many didn't come into the stadium for much. At this point, even casual fans can't understand why this has gone on so long. I've gone from ok, he deserves to see what he can do with scholarships in like 2013. To Ok, it's time in 2015, to stop embarrassing yourself and the school in 2016.

LehighU11
November 21st, 2016, 10:45 AM
The protest was silent and it was their right to do so. The protesters were the absolute least of LC's concerns athletically. The fact that it was a non-sellout, with most fans gone in the 3Q, has to be much higher on the priority list.

Of course they have a right to protest, but that's not the point.

The fact that an administrator overseeing the athletics department, as well as the committee reviewing LC's ability to better compete in the Patriot League, seemingly has little to no interest/background in athletics is concerning. Could you imagine Sterrett reporting to our Director of Residence Life? Of course not. When every sport has had losing season after losing season over there, it's apparent that something has to change. Without some leadership changes with regards to coaches or administrators, it's hard to see any change in competiveness coming out of Easton. To me, the empty seats at Fisher are the product of poor leadership and a dismal outlook beyond this season, not just unsatisfactory results this season.

carney2
November 21st, 2016, 11:04 AM
What hurt Lafayette imo was the belief that 2014 and to some extent 2013 were successful, quality seasons.

Really? That's the problem - self delusion? Shouldn't be any of that remaining after the last two years so I guess all will be well in Easton from here on. It's a good thing that Frank is staying on to reap the benefits of this attitude correction.

Andy
November 21st, 2016, 11:30 AM
What hurt Lafayette imo was the belief that 2014 and to some extent 2013 were successful, quality seasons. That game at Yankee Stadium was nothing more than one terrible team Lehigh and one below average team Lafayette and one great player. There was nothing to build off especially when that one great player graduated. Lafayette touted that as the greatest win in program history?!?! What?!?!?

The 2013 team at least won the league despite not being a very good team overall.

I follow LC athletics fairly closely and our goal is to be competitive and win championships in the PL. From 04-09 Tavani was 26-10 in the league with 3 post season appearances. Then the former president in his wisdom instituted budget cuts (which he was all too willing to do supposedly in response to the economic downturn) which had us competing with equivalencies in the low 40s. Tavani seemed to bounce back with an 8-4 PL record in 13 + 14, beating every team in the league and a championship. I bought the injury excuse in 2015. But this year was a disaster, too many things have been revealed about his "leadership" and his recent arrogant comments keep me from supporting him any longer. The problem is a 2-headed monster - Tavani and below and the AD and above.

Southsider
November 21st, 2016, 01:40 PM
Of course they have a right to protest, but that's not the point.

The fact that an administrator overseeing the athletics department, as well as the committee reviewing LC's ability to better compete in the Patriot League, seemingly has little to no interest/background in athletics is concerning. Could you imagine Sterrett reporting to our Director of Residence Life? Of course not. When every sport has had losing season after losing season over there, it's apparent that something has to change. Without some leadership changes with regards to coaches or administrators, it's hard to see any change in competiveness coming out of Easton. To me, the empty seats at Fisher are the product of poor leadership and a dismal outlook beyond this season, not just unsatisfactory results this season.

The school has an obligation to provide a suitable place to stage their protest. The Main Gate should not have been that place. They sure did their best to convince me not to return to Fisher. Done with this.

PAllen
November 24th, 2016, 05:47 PM
To keep the superstition going, I'll take UNH in a close one over Lehigh.

ngineer
November 24th, 2016, 09:24 PM

The PL will ALWAYS have a way to go to catch the CAA "in terms of commitment" for football. The two leagues have different philosophies and always will. The make-up of many of the PL schools is to be 'over-acheivers' and enjoy the challenge of playing up. We will never have the budgets committed to "big time" FCS level football as the schools have differing philosophies on how much and where to spend their money. We will continue to strive to be as good as CAA schools on "any given Saturday", but we won't on an everyday basis. It's just who we are since 1986.

ngineer
November 24th, 2016, 09:32 PM

Succinctly said. This is much of the philosophical difference I noted, above.

Fordhamanhattan
November 25th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Once again, my congratulations to Lehigh. They have always been the gold standard of the Patriot League. Bon Chance!