PDA

View Full Version : SoCon In The Playoffs. I Want to give Props...

BearDownMU
November 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
... to FUBeAR! I remember when he was talking about 4 teams in the playoffs a WHILE ago, and everyone was calling him loco. Evidently, not so much.

Now let's go win a few!

dewey
November 20th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I would like my plate of crow medium rare pleasexdrunkyx

Dewey

longtimemocfan
November 20th, 2016, 12:57 PM
I would like my plate of crow medium rare pleasexdrunkyx

Dewey

I just hope the conference shows that we deserved 4 teams. I think Wofford and The Citadel are on their game. Little worried about Sammy. If we play inspired like we did last night I think we'll be ok as well. For some reason up until last night we had lost some intensity the previous 4 games.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Samford did not deserve a spot over Albany, IMO. Lose 3 of your last 4 including a game to ETSU? That was a gift. Other three teams more than deserving.

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Samford did not deserve a spot over Albany, IMO. Lose 3 of your last 4 including a game to ETSU? That was a gift. Other three teams more than deserving.

The bottom of the CAA is a steaming pile. The bottom of the SoCon is less so. I think that is the reason and the win by Samford over Central Arkansas.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Resume isn't a problem for Samford, IMO. Losing 3 of your 4 with a garbage loss in the finale has generally been a total hex for that team. YSU finished 7-4 last year (or the year before) and went 0-3 in their final 3 and got left out. Same should've happened to Samford, IMO.

Mocs123
November 20th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I agree, I never thought we would get 4 teams in. I will take my crow medium well.

BearDownMU
November 20th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Context is kind of a beautiful thing. Samford did lose three of their last 4. Which included one game where they lost 56-41 and ran up over 600 yards of offense against Mississippi State, and a 3 point overtime loss to the conference champion and playoff seeded team (The Citadel). The ETSU loss was certainly a stinker, but you act like the stumbles and bumbled across the finish line. Which is hardly true.

kdinva
November 20th, 2016, 02:02 PM
The bottom of the CAA is a steaming pile. The bottom of the SoCon is less so.

VMI, ETSU, & WCU would beat handily Elon and Rhody......

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 02:03 PM

Yep....and the Blue Hens too.

ElCid
November 20th, 2016, 04:05 PM
I just hope the conference shows that we deserved 4 teams. I think Wofford and The Citadel are on their game. Little worried about Sammy. If we play inspired like we did last night I think we'll be ok as well. For some reason up until last night we had lost some intensity the previous 4 games.]

Not sure where you are getting that. The Citadel played its worst game of the year this week. Not stats'wise but looking at the entire package of a ball game. Wofford wasn't very inspired on O this week. UTC seems to be on the rise if the Bama game is any indication. I am worried that the year may be catching up to my Dogs. I am really happy we get a week off. Not sure what Samford's deal is. They have been hot and cold.

I like UTCs getting Weber and SHSU. If the Mocs take Weber, which I think they will, It will be the toughest D SHSU has seen.

Samford at YSU is interesting. YSU has a pretty decent pass D. If they get past them I know Samford wants another shot at JSU remembering 2013.

CSU at Wofford is also interesting. Two pretty good D's. As far as The Citadel goes, not sure it matters which team they meet although I like CSU better since we have not seen them. We lost 5 fumbles to them last year in the second round and only lost by 8 so.... I think Wofford has the run defense down much better as well.

Good job for the SOCON. Let's see what we can do.

ElCid
November 20th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Resume isn't a problem for Samford, IMO. Losing 3 of your 4 with a garbage loss in the finale has generally been a total hex for that team. YSU finished 7-4 last year (or the year before) and went 0-3 in their final 3 and got left out. Same should've happened to Samford, IMO.

But...1 of those 3 losses was to a top 5 team (6 seed) and 1 to an FBS. Their last game was totally crap the bed, but many teams have had a nasty lost this year.

The best win Albany had was NH (not Buffalo). Massey has NH at 185 in Div I. It was the only quality win they had all year. Samford had three better wins. Timing is one thing, but looking at the big picture, it was an easy choice.

longtimemocfan
November 20th, 2016, 05:29 PM
]

Not sure where you are getting that. The Citadel played its worst game of the year this week. Not stats'wise but looking at the entire package of a ball game. Wofford wasn't very inspired on O this week. UTC seems to be on the rise if the Bama game is any indication. I am worried that the year may be catching up to my Dogs. I am really happy we get a week off. Not sure what Samford's deal is. They have been hot and cold.

I like UTCs getting Weber and SHSU. If the Mocs take Weber, which I think they will, It will be the toughest D SHSU has seen.

Samford at YSU is interesting. YSU has a pretty decent pass D. If they get past them I know Samford wants another shot at JSU remembering 2013.

CSU at Wofford is also interesting. Two pretty good D's. As far as The Citadel goes, not sure it matters which team they meet although I like CSU better since we have not seen them. We lost 5 fumbles to them last year in the second round and only lost by 8 so.... I think Wofford has the run defense down much better as well.

Good job for the SOCON. Let's see what we can do.

You have to take FBS games with a grain of salt. You can look really good or you can look really bad. UNC was coming off a bad loss to Duke so I'm sure they were motivated to play well. I think with the week off you guy's will be just fine.

KPSUL
November 20th, 2016, 05:32 PM
The bottom of the CAA is a steaming pile. The bottom of the SoCon is less so. I think that is the reason and the win by Samford over Central Arkansas.

The SoCon has it's own bottom excrement. Your steaming pile is numbers 7-9, ours is 10-12. Matching 7-9 place teams looks like this: Albany - E. Tenn; W&M - VMI; Towson - WCU.

OL FU
November 20th, 2016, 05:39 PM

Onthe ither hand we would figure out a way to lose by 3-:(

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2016, 05:57 PM
The SoCon has it's own bottom excrement. Your steaming pile is numbers 7-9, ours is 10-12. Matching 7-9 place teams looks like this: Albany - E. Tenn; W&M - VMI; Towson - WCU.

Have we really gotten to the point where we're trying to figure out who's s*** stinks less?

OL FU
November 20th, 2016, 05:58 PM
I'm thinking furman might should figure out a Way for fubear to suit up again-:)

KPSUL
November 20th, 2016, 06:01 PM
But...1 of those 3 losses was to a top 5 team (6 seed) and 1 to an FBS. Their last game was totally crap the bed, but many teams have had a nasty lost this year.

The best win Albany had was NH (not Buffalo). Massey has NH at 185 in Div I. It was the only quality win they had all year. Samford had three better wins. Timing is one thing, but looking at the big picture, it was an easy choice.

Have Massey and Sagarin included the week 12 games in their indexes? If not, Samford is going to take a downward hit after the loss to E Tenn.

It's fun for us to talk s_ _ _ about conferences, but the conference teams played 0 OOC games against each other so really we don't have good measures to judge. But I could point out that the SoCon had no FBS wins and half of SoCon OOC wins were against Div 2 opponents. In fact, one of Samford's wins was against a Div 2 team, so they had only 6 Div 1 wins.

BearDownMU
November 20th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Maybe you are loosely generalizing because you didn't want to look it up, but, by my count, the SoCon was:

16-11 in all out of conference games (including 9 FBS contests)
16-2 in all out of conference non-FBS games (including Div II games)
10-2 in all out of conference FCS games

KPSUL
November 20th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Maybe you are loosely generalizing because you didn't want to look it up, but, by my count, the SoCon was:

16-11 in all out of conference games (including 9 FBS contests)
16-2 in all out of conference non-FBS games (including Div II games)
10-2 in all out of conference FCS games

Your right I did a bit of generalizing, but I don't think what I posted is too inconsistent with yours. Since you did the research, how many of the 16 OOC wins were against Div 2 opponents? I think I saw 6 Div 2 wins and no FBS wins. I saw Austin Peay and Tenn. Tech enough times to wonder if they were making the move to SoCon.

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2016, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking furman might should figure out a Way for fubear to suit up again-:)

What do you think of OL FU's post?
O I approve
http://www.utahnordic.com/sites/default/files/black-circle.png I disapprove

Your comments on this post:
1 play = Another torn ACL & multiple ruptured disks. No thank you!

spdram
November 20th, 2016, 09:26 PM
I wish there were more OOC games between CAA and SoCon teams.

ElCid
November 20th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Have Massey and Sagarin included the week 12 games in their indexes? If not, Samford is going to take a downward hit after the loss to E Tenn.

They update every Sunday morning sometime around 0400 - 0800. So, yes, they did include all of yesterday's games.

BearDownMU
November 20th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I did it right there. 16 wins in total. 10 wins FCS. So 6 were Div II.

Tennessee Tech played 2 SoCon games and Austin Peay played 1.

ElCid
November 21st, 2016, 07:30 AM

Yeah, no reason to not have some games at least against Richmond, W&M, and JMU. I can see not scheduling NH or Maine for travel, but the VA teams are sort of close. Elon is even closer but I don't think they would agree even if we wanted to play them. ETSU would have probably beaten them this year.xlolx

Catamount87
November 21st, 2016, 08:45 AM
Yeah, no reason to not have some games at least against Richmond, W&M, and JMU. I can see not scheduling NH or Maine for travel, but the VA teams are sort of close. Elon is even closer but I don't think they would agree even if we wanted to play them. ETSU would have probably beaten them this year.xlolx

I've heard a few times over the years that they won't or don't want to play SoCon teams. No idea why though. When you think about it, it'd make sense both from a promotional perspective and strength of schedule perspective.

thirdgendin
November 21st, 2016, 08:53 AM

Agreed. Furman and Elon begin a home and home series next year in Greenville.

Toby
November 21st, 2016, 11:41 AM
Mercer and Yale announced a 4 game series over six years starting in 2018.

FUBeAR
November 22nd, 2016, 12:04 AM
... to FUBeAR! I remember when he was talking about 4 teams in the playoffs a WHILE ago, and everyone was calling him loco. Evidently, not so much.

Now let's go win a few!

Found what I was looking for earlier, when I stumbled across Chatttttown's post from 2014 about Mercer (in another thread), but anyway...

My Man TOBY deserves some 'PROPS' as well. He was only 5 1/2 hours behind me on August 31st in calling it that the SoCon would have 4 Teams in the Playoffs this year...

My top three are UTC, Mercer, Citadel and Samford. 4 going to the show!

Atta guy Toby! Just sorry ALL 5 of the Teams that you and I picked didn't make it. You beat me there though - you had 3 of 4 on the money!

Hey, maybe Southern Pigskin is hiring...

Twentysix
November 22nd, 2016, 12:10 AM
Since App and GSU left, I have seen the Socon as a less conference, more in line with the SLC than the MVFC BigSky and CAA.

Congrats and restoring your bid to power.

citdog
November 22nd, 2016, 10:10 AM
Since App and GSU left, I have seen the SoCon as a less conference, more in line with the SLC than the MVFC BigSky and CAA.

It's ok to be wrong every once in a while.

longtimemocfan
November 22nd, 2016, 02:16 PM
Since App and GSU left, I have seen the Socon as a less conference, more in line with the SLC than the MVFC BigSky and CAA.

That's why they got 4 teams in the playoffs this year.xnodx

The Pud
November 22nd, 2016, 02:18 PM

Seems from my research that Sammy seems to fair very well against teams from the CAA. Just making an observation from my research.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 22nd, 2016, 03:17 PM
If any of you told me that ETSU would finish the season 5-6, which was better than my definition of a successful season for ETSU (4-7), capped by an upset of a Top 25 team, I would have looked at you and thought you were nuts.