PDA

View Full Version : Is NC A&T a possible Playoff Team

KPSUL
November 19th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Does the win today make NC Central the MEAC champ and the MEAC rep in the Celebration Bowl? I don't really know for sure if MEAC teams are permitted to play in the FCS playoffs? I think they are but can anyone confirm? If so, Should NC A&T be selected as a playoff team?

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Short Answer: Yes

Correct Answer: No since they (MEAC/SWAC) want their own "national championship" and left

Committee's Answer: Why the **** not? Are there 24 other teams more deserving?

BigSouthFan
November 19th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Does the win today make NC Central the MEAC champ and the MEAC rep in the Celebration Bowl? I don't really know for sure if MEAC teams are permitted to play in the FCS playoffs? I think they are but can anyone confirm? If so, Should NC A&T be selected as a playoff team?
They are eligible, and honestly as weak as the bubble is, I think they are in. 9-2 including a FBS win and a FBS loss.

mvemjsunpx
November 19th, 2016, 07:48 PM
If the committee isn't tacitly refusing to consider MEAC teams, then A&T should be in. With how their game against NC Central went, it almost looks like they tanked it just to get a playoff bid.

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2016, 08:00 PM
If the committee isn't tacitly refusing to consider MEAC teams, then A&T should be in. With how their game against NC Central went, it almost looks like they tanked it just to get a playoff bid.

They played their third string quarterback. Knowing how fierce our rivalry is, especially with our old coach over on the other bench; I doubt they would intentionally lose.

The national committee does not have a MEAC representative, but the regional committees do. They've been feeding information to the national group all year. Since the A&T QB is expected to be available for the playoff game, I think they're going to receive an at-large berth. I also wouldn't be surprised if they submitted a home-game bid. A&T can certainly afford it.

Bisonwinagn
November 19th, 2016, 08:00 PM

They don't deserve a playoff bid after getting pounded today.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2016, 08:06 PM
It'd be an acknowledgement that just because HBCU choose to play their own "national" championship that you're excluded from play-offs isn't true. NC A&T is a good MEAC to challenge that requirement. I hope they get a win in round 1.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I think so. As much as I hate the premise of putting in a team from a conference that told the FCS Playoffs to go pound sand, given the upheaval on the bubble today I don't see how they can leave NC A&T out.

Which leads me to the question, does the participant in the Celebration Bowl get a bigger share of the TV money? If not, say NC A&T would go on a ridiculous playoff run and make the semis is it actually better for them to be in the FCS playoffs than make the Celebration Bowl?

Bison56
November 19th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Don't need another doormat team in the playoffs.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 08:09 PM
They were ranked in the top 10...If NC A&T doesn't get in...It is never going to happen.

Schism55
November 19th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Don't need another doormat team in the playoffs.
Soo much this.
Those touting them for the playoffs, have you looked at their schedule? Good grief.
I also fail to see how getting murked by the #202 Sagarin team helps out?

JSUBison
November 19th, 2016, 08:26 PM
I'd rather them get in then having to read someone arguing the merits of a 6-5 Maine/Illinois State/Southern Utah type team. Like Kelly Leak's dad said, LET THEM PLAY!

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Soo much this.
Those touting them for the playoffs, have you looked at their schedule? Good grief.
I also fail to see how getting murked by the #202 Sagarin team helps out?

I'd like to say we're a tad better than 202. Our schedule was uneven this year allowing us to miss Hampton and SCSU. Our offense has given A&T fits over the past three years; and I predicted we'd win at home.

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I think so. As much as I hate the premise of putting in a team from a conference that told the FCS Playoffs to go pound sand, given the upheaval on the bubble today I don't see how they can leave NC A&T out.

Which leads me to the question, does the participant in the Celebration Bowl get a bigger share of the TV money? If not, say NC A&T would go on a ridiculous playoff run and make the semis is it actually better for them to be in the FCS playoffs than make the Celebration Bowl?

The Celebration Bowl pays each conference 1 million dollars. For A&T last year, they received $500K plus $200K worth of tickets, which they are allowed to sell to their fanbase and keep all of the money. The remaining monies is divided between the conference office and the other ten football playing schools. I think A&T was able to get over $600K. I'm sure an Aggie poster can correct me if needed.

The Celebration Bowl is more lucrative financially. I still prefer the playoffs; but I can't argue with the event and its potential.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2016, 08:44 PM
The Celebration Bowl pays each conference 1 million dollars. For A&T last year, they received $500K plus $200K worth of tickets, which they are allowed to sell to their fanbase and keep all of the money. The remaining monies is divided between the conference office and the other ten football playing schools. I think A&T was able to get over $600K. I'm sure an Aggie poster can correct me if needed.

The Celebration Bowl is more lucrative financially. I still prefer the playoffs; but I can't argue with the event and its potential.
Thanks for clarifying.

So it was definitely in A&T's best interest to win this game and make the Celebration Bowl. I'm sure they can make some money off playoff games if they host and draw well but it's far from the sure thing they would've had if they won today.

Congrats to your boys for picking up the win!

kdinva
November 19th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Could be a first round game; NCA&T @ either Richmond, or Wofford....

MacThor
November 19th, 2016, 08:57 PM

Yep. That's what I expect.
Ironically, those are the two schools in the "region" who'll outbid them.

BigSouthFan
November 19th, 2016, 09:51 PM

In a world where regionalization rules. I see CSU having either Wofford or A&T, winner plays Citadel. Most likely CSU v. Wofford is the draw since A&T is about 200 miles from Richmond and 350+ from Wofford and CSU.

superman7515
November 19th, 2016, 09:58 PM
So we pride ourselves on our FCS knowledge and how great the poll is and how much time & effort we all put into it, etc...

And we, collectively, have North Carolina A&T as one of the 15 best FCS teams in the nation...

And yet we think that because of a decision that the players & coaches had no control over, and that their school voted against, they should be left out of a tournament that is supposed to showcase the 23 best teams in the FCS and Lehigh.

Either 824 people voted A&T at #25 last week, or by virtue of our own ballots, we are collectively saying they are deserving of the chance to prove it on the field.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2016, 09:59 PM
So we pride ourselves on our FCS knowledge and how great the poll is and how much time & effort we all put into it, etc...

And we, collectively, have North Carolina A&T as one of the 15 best FCS teams in the nation...

And yet we think that because of a decision that the players & coaches had no control over, and that their school voted against, they should be left out of a tournament that is supposed to showcase the 23 best teams in the FCS and Lehigh.

Either 824 people voted A&T at #25 last week, or by virtue of our own ballots, we are collectively saying they are deserving of the chance to prove it on the field.

xlmaox

centennial
November 19th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Lehigh???!

WestCoastAggie
November 19th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Get ready for the #PLHijack.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2016, 10:10 PM

Personally I had them at 20 last week. However, with as weak of **** as most of the bubble teams have put up this week I'd say let 'em in anyway.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2016, 10:13 PM

I haven't had them ranked all year. Someone explain why they are worthy?

superman7515
November 19th, 2016, 10:15 PM

Maybe not, but you ranked 2-8 Western Carolina last week. xlolx

BigSouthFan
November 19th, 2016, 10:17 PM

9-2 record, 1 FBS win, 1 FBS loss, 1 Top 25 loss, no bad losses. Why not? Beat who you're supposed to beat you can't help your conference's weakness.

Lehigh'98
November 19th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Looks like someone wants to talk some Lehigh football!!

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2016, 10:21 PM
http://www.bontheball.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2472680larry-the-cable-guy-funny.jpg

MacThor
November 19th, 2016, 10:22 PM
NC A&T will get in. Richmond would like to borrow NCC's 3rd string quarterback.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2016, 10:29 PM

Tru

https://media.giphy.com/media/ucDynIqrf7ADC/giphy.gif

eaglesdare
November 19th, 2016, 10:37 PM
When your looking at the 4th/5th best teams in other conferences might as well take a flyer on a team like A&T. Kind of a double edged sword for us. Be great to have an at large from the conference but would prefer it be a team with a legitimate passing game that could do damage. Really don't need the Aggies embarrassing us.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2016, 11:15 PM
When your looking at the 4th/5th best teams in other conferences might as well take a flyer on a team like A&T. Kind of a double edged sword for us. Be great to have an at large from the conference but would prefer it be a team with a legitimate passing game that could do damage. Really don't need the Aggies embarrassing us.
The MEAC's playoff reputation has nowhere to go but up. If A&T loses it'll just be another "oh well, that's what we all thought" result. If they win, it'll be a huge boon for the conference getting at-large bids in the future. I still don't think it's a sure thing that they're selected but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it happened.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2016, 11:20 PM
The MEAC's playoff reputation has nowhere to go but up. If A&T loses it'll just be another "oh well, that's what we all thought" result. If they win, it'll be a huge boon for the conference getting at-large bids in the future. I still don't think it's a sure thing that they're selected but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it happened.

The MEAC hasn't won a playoff game since 1999, right? Florida A&M made it to the semi's before losing to YSU iirc...

eaglesdare
November 19th, 2016, 11:25 PM
The MEAC hasn't won a playoff game since 1999, right? Florida A&M made it to the semi's before losing to YSU iirc...

Yup, though Hampton had a couple of decent showings against New Hampshire and William & Mary. South Carolina State has also been competitive.

MTfan4life
November 20th, 2016, 12:27 AM
They were ranked in the top 10...If NC A&T doesn't get in...It is never going to happen.

Lehigh was #10 in the final coaches poll before that infamous 2012 playoff selection indecision.

Of course there were only 20 teams in the playoffs that season.

WestCoastAggie
November 20th, 2016, 03:57 AM
NC A&T will get in. Richmond would like to borrow NCC's 3rd string quarterback.

QB Troubles, huh?

Sigh...

dgtw
November 20th, 2016, 04:58 AM
Short Answer: Yes

Correct Answer: No since they (MEAC/SWAC) want their own "national championship" and left

Committee's Answer: Why the **** not? Are there 24 other teams more deserving?

Actually are there 14 more deserving since ten are automatically in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Actually are there 14 more deserving since ten are automatically in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was for all 24 teams, and not just the 10 at large, but I get what you are saying.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Massey has 12 teams that are ranked higher, that also qualify (6 D1 wins) for the playoffs, that the committee overlooked to place a team in the playoffs that plays in a conference that doesn't want to send their best teams.

I just don't get this one. xdontknowx

BlueHenSinfonian
November 20th, 2016, 07:10 PM
NC A&T deserves to be there more than Illinois State.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2016, 07:19 PM

Why? Because they beat Kent State.

NC A&T schedule makes Sammys schedule look like a meat grinder.

Schism55
November 20th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Why? Because they beat Kent State.

NC A&T schedule makes Sammys schedule look like a meat grinder.
Exactly. I made this point in another thread.

MacThor
November 20th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Massey has 12 teams that are ranked higher, that also qualify (6 D1 wins) for the playoffs, that the committee overlooked to place a team in the playoffs that plays in a conference that doesn't want to send their best teams.

I just don't get this one. xdontknowx

Massey doesn't select the field, and that's a good thing.

Redbird007
November 20th, 2016, 08:46 PM

Why because you said so? Dig the data out to back up your statement. Based upon the stated selection criteria it is a joke when trying to compare NC A&T to Illinois State. Massey NC 55 ISU 14 Sagarin NC 38 ISU 10 SOS NC 274 ISU 136

NC A&T would get demolished in this tourney and does not deserve to be there, especially at ISU's expense. At the upper end of each team's schedule NCAT got demolished by a Massey team rated at 49. Meanwhile ISU defeated a 34 rated Massey team.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 20th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Why because you said so? Dig the data out to back up your statement. Based upon the stated selection criteria it is a joke when trying to compare NC A&T to Illinois State. Massey NC 55 ISU 14 Sagarin NC 38 ISU 10 SOS NC 274 ISU 136

NC A&T would get demolished in this tourney and does not deserve to be there, especially at ISU's expense. At the upper end of each team's schedule NCAT got demolished by a Massey team rated at 49. Meanwhile ISU defeated a 34 rated Massey team.

Well, both are in, so that one's moot, but I don't like the idea of putting 6-5 teams in, especially in at-large bids. Illinois State has some strong wins, but 6-5 and 4-4 in-conference... I don't think that should be rewarded with a berth.

I'd have gone with SELA, Fordham, or Albany over Illinois State.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Well, both are in, so that one's moot, but I don't like the idea of putting 6-5 teams in, especially in at-large bids. Illinois State has some strong wins, but 6-5 and 4-4 in-conference... I don't think that should be rewarded with a berth.

There are plenty who would put a 4-7 (1-7 in conference) team from certain conferences ahead of a paltry 8 win MEAC squad.

Sent using Tapatalk because 89Hen hates this.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2016, 09:28 PM

Right.xrolleyesx The 4-4 squad from the MVFC doesn't deserve a spot, but the 4-4 squad from the CAA does. xrolleyesx

BlueHenSinfonian
November 20th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Right.xrolleyesx The 4-4 squad from the MVFC doesn't deserve a spot, but the 4-4 squad from the CAA does. xrolleyesx

Their quality of wins and losses are pretty similar, but Albany at least has the 7 D1 wins that's been an unofficial benchmark of at-large playoff eligibility.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Their quality of wins and losses are pretty similar, but Albany at least has the 7 D1 wins that's been an unofficial benchmark of at-large playoff eligibility.

7 D1 wins is NOT an official or unofficial benchmark of at large playoff eligibility. It just gets repeated by Delaware fans because they are living in the past, understandably. 6 D1 wins is the benchmark you need to clear to have at large playoff eligibility. That's in the damn guidelines. The committee just placed two 6 D1 win teams in the tournament. A year after they placed one last year. Two years removed from placing their first 6 D1 win team in Sam Houston.

Get use to it, bud.

MacThor
November 20th, 2016, 10:02 PM
The committee just put a 9-2 team into the tournament instead of just placing the top 24 Massey teams in and letting a computer determine the champion. Get used to it, bud.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2016, 10:13 PM
The committee just put a 9-2 team into the tournament instead of just placing the top 24 Massey teams in and letting a computer determine the champion. Get used to it, bud.

You're really butthurt about the Massey stuff. I suppose none of that has to do with the fact Massey hasn't been overly impressed with the CAA or Richmond this year. xcoolx

Here's the deal, I never said that Massey is the bible or that this tournament should be fielded using Massey. However, when Massey has a team ranked 55th with a schedule just a little under a 100th worst. That's out of 120ish teams. I take notice.

Now, if you have an argument about what exactly has impressed you this season with NCAT or their merits, I'm all ears. So far I just have thesinfonian dude deflecting the whole conversation to the Redbirds.

MacThor
November 20th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I think the field is correct, and consistent with what the committee has done in the past.

I find Massey a useful tool, but never as a standalone. It has a terrible track record as a predictor. It also places too much weight on opponents' SOS. Just because NDSU beat Iowa doesn't automatically make the entire MVFC better, but Massey does that.

I don't care what Massey ranks the Spiders. UR has historically outperformed their Massey "seed" in the playoffs, as has Sam Houston St.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2016, 10:46 PM
I think the field is correct.

That's why I'm asking the question. I'm in the minority here, on NCAT. The AGS Poll felt they were deserving. Most people here that put out brackets all felt they were in. I'm just asking why? I don't see it. Obviously I'm missing something here, as they weren't even one of the last four in.

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2016, 10:49 PM
That's why I'm asking the question. I'm in the minority here, on NCAT. The AGS Poll felt they were deserving. Most people here that put out brackets all felt they were in. I'm just asking why? I don't see it. Obviously I'm missing something here, as they weren't even one of the last four in.

They beat an FBS, they only had one FCS loss (where they were forced to use their 3rd. string QB), and they waxed their other MEAC opponents.

It's basically where San Diego would be if they had beaten Cal Poly (lost by 22).

MacThor
November 21st, 2016, 08:29 AM
For the record, BisonTru, I'm normally right there with you. I've long been saying MEAC teams have been over-rated in the polls, and railed against their at-large bid several years ago. Now the field is so diluted, I don't see how you keep a 9-2 team with two FBS OOC games out.

You can only punish a team so much for the conference they play in. I don't see how much more A&T could do - they scheduled two FBS games (and won one) and went 7-1 in their conference.
If you take this strength of conference/computer rankings argument too far, you might as well do away with conferences altogether, because the teams from "weak" conferences will never get a shot.

I'd apply the same logic to March Madness. Let's say the ACC is far and away the most dominant conference in basketball, and their 9th-place team has a better RPI at 15-12 than a 24-3 small conference winner who got upset in their tournament final. I'd rather see the committee reward the team that got it done all year.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2016, 08:42 AM
For the record, BisonTru, I'm normally right there with you. I've long been saying MEAC teams have been over-rated in the polls, and railed against their at-large bid several years ago. Now the field is so diluted, I don't see how you keep a 9-2 team with two FBS OOC games out.

You can only punish a team so much for the conference they play in. I don't see how much more A&T could do - they scheduled two FBS games (and won one) and went 7-1 in their conference.
If you take this strength of conference/computer rankings argument too far, you might as well do away with conferences altogether, because the teams from "weak" conferences will never get a shot.

I'd apply the same logic to March Madness. Let's say the ACC is far and away the most dominant conference in basketball, and their 9th-place team has a better RPI at 15-12 than a 24-3 small conference winner who got upset in their tournament final. I'd rather see the committee reward the team that got it done all year.
Agreed. In the end it's pretty inconsequential anyway who the first few teams out/last few teams in were (just like in the NCAA basketball tournament) because none of them have a legit shot at the championship anyway.

I think the pressure is on NC A&T though. If they win they'll open the door for more 2nd place MEAC teams to get into the playoffs in the future but if they lose it's going to perpetuate the stigma that the MEAC just can't compete in the FCS playoffs.

Professor
November 21st, 2016, 08:43 AM

You are correct. We are happy to be in the playoffs but we rather had been in the bowl game and get that 600K. And the prime time spot on ABC at noon on the 17th.

You might discount the bowl game but A&T had 15K applications from High School students to attend for Fall 2016. That was up 200 % from the 5K applications we received in Fall 2015. The exposure of A&T in the bowl game definitely was a benefit.

AggieManiac704
November 21st, 2016, 08:59 AM
You are correct. We are happy to be in the playoffs but we rather had been in the bowl game and get that 600K. And the prime time spot on ABC at noon on the 17th.

You might discount the bowl game but A&T had 15K applications from High School students to attend for Fall 2016. That was up 200 % from the 5K applications we received in Fall 2015. The exposure of A&T in the bowl game definitely was a benefit.

I'm not gonna argue against the money. Buttttt all of us are not included in the "we" part there about where we'd prefer to be. But again....You can't argue against the money.

MacThor
November 21st, 2016, 09:03 AM
I think the pressure is on NC A&T though. If they win they'll open the door for more 2nd place MEAC teams to get into the playoffs in the future but if they lose it's going to perpetuate the stigma that the MEAC just can't compete in the FCS playoffs.

This will not be an easy game for Richmond. Our QB situation is a mess - right now we are looking at starting an injured QB4.
Sooner or later a MEAC team is going to break through, if they get the right matchup.

Professor
November 21st, 2016, 09:03 AM
true indeed. You can't argue about the exposure. ABC or ESPN 3

AggieManiac704
November 21st, 2016, 09:05 AM
This will not be an easy game for Richmond. Our QB situation is a mess - right now we are looking at starting an injured QB4.
Sooner or later a MEAC team is going to break through, if they get the right matchup.

So we're on QB3.....this is looking like a coaching battle. Who can cook up the best game plan for their team....

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2016, 09:26 AM
So we're on QB3.....this is looking like a coaching battle. Who can cook up the best game plan for their team....

And which core group of players will be motivated to practice and execute a game plan after heartbreaking losses.

MacThor
November 21st, 2016, 10:00 AM
You guys coming up?

Professor
November 21st, 2016, 10:03 AM
I will be there. What hotels are close to the stadium? or should i stay in downtown

AggieManiac704
November 21st, 2016, 11:21 AM
section 214? Good seats?

MacThor
November 21st, 2016, 01:17 PM
Yeah - that's my section. :)

bostonspider
November 21st, 2016, 02:39 PM
I will be there. What hotels are close to the stadium? or should i stay in downtown

Close to UR, I like the Westin

http://www.westinrichmond.com/

MacThor
November 21st, 2016, 03:04 PM
Yep, the Westin's the best one close to UR. Not cheap.

TheRevSFA
November 21st, 2016, 03:18 PM
Congrats A&T. I will admit that I said that I didn't think you'd get in as some sort of punishment by the committee due to the Celebration Bowl.

Hope you guys make a good run. (No offense Spider fans)

Professor
November 21st, 2016, 04:19 PM
That wasn't our choice, we voted against it. Conference vote was 8-3 . But it worked out this year and we got a team in at large and in the bowl game

BisonTru
November 21st, 2016, 04:26 PM
That wasn't our choice, we voted against it. Conference vote was 8-3 . But it worked out this year and we got a team in at large and in the bowl game

Who were the other two schools that voted against it?

MacThor
November 21st, 2016, 04:36 PM
NCCU and Savannah State

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 21st, 2016, 06:41 PM

Hampton Inn on Glenside is still very close and a better value than the Westin. Safe travels.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 21st, 2016, 06:42 PM

Agree.

I'm glad we have a week to come up with an Offensive game plan because the 2nd half of the WM game was a disaster. Definitely not taking this one for granted at all.

spdram
November 21st, 2016, 06:45 PM
Looking forward to an interesting game -- I know we are suffering a significant number in injuries, not just the QB. Your RB sounds like the real deal, and you've got big time size. Latest rumor I heard was your first string QB would be back for this game -- any truth to that?

Gangtackle11
November 21st, 2016, 06:47 PM
Agree.

I'm glad we have a week to come up with an Offensive game plan because the 2nd half of the WM game was a disaster. Definitely not taking this one for granted at all.

Tough to play without your starting QB isn't BHCE??

MacThor
November 21st, 2016, 07:34 PM
Tough to play without your starting QB isn't BHCE??

Are we back on that? Bednarczyk was 6 for 15 for with 2 INTs. His replacement was 6 for 14 with no INTs.

MacThor
November 21st, 2016, 07:42 PM
Hampton Inn on Glenside is still very close and a better value than the Westin. Safe travels.

You sure an Aggie fan wants to stay at the "Hampton" Inn?

DEX
November 21st, 2016, 09:39 PM
Looking forward to an interesting game -- I know we are suffering a significant number in injuries, not just the QB. Your RB sounds like the real deal, and you've got big time size. Latest rumor I heard was your first string QB would be back for this game -- any truth to that?

He suffered a torn pectoral muscle. I don't see how he could possibly play with that type of injury? To bad because he was the MEAC's top rated passer hitting 65% of his passes.

Professor
November 22nd, 2016, 09:08 AM
You sure an Aggie fan wants to stay at the "Hampton" Inn?

lol Nice play on that.