PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Delaware! Tops the CFI!

Grizzaholic
January 15th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Good job Deleware on the newest Chuck Fan Index. Tops in the nation!

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=83095

GrizFamily
January 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yep, congrats to the Blue Hens. Now I'm going to go console myself with pictures of WAGRIZ.

bluehenbillk
January 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Hey take comfort in the fact that the Griz has more seats than us & you had a better season. I'd trade a trip to the semi's for a 5-6 season every time.

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Must've put a lot into researching the write up. Apparently UNI is in Cedar Rapids? xidiotx :nonono2:

MR. CHICKEN
January 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM
YOU-DEE.......49
MONTE..........48.......:thumbsup:........BRAWK!

GETTIN' OLD YET.......GRIZZWOLDS?............DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

MR. CHICKEN
January 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Good job Deleware on the newest Chuck Fan Index. Tops in the nation!

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=83095

THANKY FO' DUH PROPS....SON...........GUESS DUH HENS ARE JES' ONE BETTERAH.....49-48................xlolx....BAWK!

BEAR PELTS....ON YER DANCE TEAM........DAT MIGHT PUT YA'LL OVERAH DUH TOP.......UNLESS.......WE GET FEATHERAH....COSTUMES......AWK!

89Hen
January 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned Montana and UD have to share this honor. However, I will put Southern in there as 1c. Probably a treat that too few of us have gotten to experience. :(

appfan2008
January 15th, 2007, 10:44 PM
#4?
#4 for the top team in the world with top three attendance numbers?
what the hell is this guy thinking?
he says our cheerleaders suck?
they seem fine to me whatever he must not have ever been to Boone on gameday...
thats cool Mr. innocence

jmufootball2
January 15th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Your stadium is not that intimidating appfan. Ive heard louder at FCS games.

bluehenbillk
January 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM
#4?
thats cool Mr. innocence

He hasn't seen some of the pics of the App girls in the parking lot in Chattanooga, I have a lot of respect for that talent.

andy7171
January 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Morgan State at #31 taints the legitimacy of the entire listing.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2007, 07:40 AM
#5: Western Kentucky (86.50)
Conference: Gateway

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx This whole article lost all credibility with the above mentioned xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xidiotx The only reason they get mentioned is for the Blood Clot they have for a mascot that shows up on ESPN not for a fan base (4-7000 or so that show up for a game).

AppGuy04
January 16th, 2007, 07:51 AM
#4?
thats cool Mr. innocence

He is referring to competition results, that which the ASU cherr squads have sniffed none of. As far as competitions go, we suck, and from first hand knowledge, that is how college squads are judged

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Not exactly award-winning.

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/pF717jT.jpg

Compare to:

http://gsucheer.smugmug.com/photos/89644906-M.jpg

McNeese72
January 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Third in the Southland Conference!??? The atmosphere at McNeese must all of a sudden sucked???

Doc

nevadagriz
January 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Congrats delaware. What I did not like was him calling the Griz colors Purple, Purple wtf???? " a sea of maroon and purple" ??????

tsutiger
January 16th, 2007, 04:40 PM
#20: Jacksonville State (68.87)
Conference: Ohio Valley
The CFI shows: Squeaking in the Top 20, the attendance leader in the OVC returns to its rightful place in the CFI with the ability to truly bring the fans into the stadium. Maybe it’s the great BBQ from Dreamland, I don’t know, but the Gamecocks are clearly doing something right.

JSU didn't lead the OVC in average or total attendance.

BigApp
January 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
#5: Western Kentucky (86.50)
Conference: Gateway

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx This whole article lost all credibility with the above mentioned xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xidiotx The only reason they get mentioned is for the Blood Clot they have for a mascot that shows up on ESPN not for a fan base (4-7000 or so that show up for a game).

maybe he's factoring in their basketball teams' support too??

bobbythekidd
January 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Not exactly award-winning.

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/pF717jT.jpg

Compare to:

http://gsucheer.smugmug.com/photos/89644906-M.jpg
That makes me smile, thanks.

Mr. Tiger
January 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM
This poll has NO CRED AT ALL....This guy either doesn't have a clue or was making a failed attempt at humor. Talk about NO RESEARCH.

He wrote...

#22: Jackson State (67.59)
Conference: Southwestern
The CFI shows: You might say the reason for their drop from last year was the fact we were in the final throes of the James Bell era, or their lack of a big challenge for the SWAC championship. But the CFI punished the Tigers for not replacing Wavy Dave, their old moth-eaten mascot. I think. :bang:

To bad he didn't even bother to find out Wavy Dave was very ill this year. The man who portrayed the long-time Jackson State University mascot known as "Wavy Dave," died this year at a Jackson hospital. A university news release said 41-year-old David Chambers had spent the past several weeks in the critical care unit at Central Mississippi Medical Center after suffering a heart attack brought on by his long-time battle with kidney failure. Chambers received a kidney transplant in June 2000.

How to improve: The Sonic Boom of the South is one of the most celebrated bands in the SWAC, and they bring out the fans every year. But what's really needed are a dance team and spirit squad that is also worthy of the band's world-class level. (Did I mention Wavy Dave yet?) :nonono2:

Upshot: I think I forgot to give the Tigers bonus points for having Walter Payton, NFL Hall of Famer and namesake of the Payton Award. But Jackson State fans did get bonus points by having, without a doubt, the most impatient fans in our entire subdivision (with Georgia Southern and Lehigh fans right on their heels). The ink wasn't even dry on Melvin Spears' firing and you already want to fire head coach Rick Comegy (in year 1 of a rebuilding program, no less) to get him. :mad: :eek: NO ONE AT JSU WANTS, HAS WANTED, NOR DESIRES SPEARS. :nonono2:

slycat
January 17th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Third in the Southland Conference!??? The atmosphere at McNeese must all of a sudden sucked???

Doc

actually 4th. now i dont really agree with it since yall have some of the best tailgating period. but i think he was saying that yall still havnt fully recovered after rita and the atmosphere isnt the same. but putting you behind sfa is a joke.

th0m
January 17th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Morgan State at #31 taints the legitimacy of the entire listing.

I think Idaho State at #23 also raises some questions...

ysubigred
January 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM
maybe he's factoring in their basketball teams' support too??

Good point :eek: That is more impressive down there :hurray:

McNeese72
January 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM
actually 4th. now i dont really agree with it since yall have some of the best tailgating period. but i think he was saying that yall still havnt fully recovered after rita and the atmosphere isnt the same. but putting you behind sfa is a joke.

Well, the Frosty Factory's put their second floor back up and was open for the whole football season last year. What more needs to be done. ;) ;)

Doc

Lehigh Football Nation
January 17th, 2007, 08:58 AM
To bad he didn't even bother to find out Wavy Dave was very ill this year. The man who portrayed the long-time Jackson State University mascot known as "Wavy Dave," died this year at a Jackson hospital. A university news release said 41-year-old David Chambers had spent the past several weeks in the critical care unit at Central Mississippi Medical Center after suffering a heart attack brought on by his long-time battle with kidney failure. Chambers received a kidney transplant in June 2000.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Obviously I only just found out who was in the mascot suit. I'm going to get this part of the article changed as a result.

But as for having impatient fans, you can't deny that you guys ARE impatient. There was absolutely chatter on the MEAC/SWAC boards for getting Spears...

89Hen
January 17th, 2007, 09:18 AM
BTW, rather interesting...

#1: Delaware (95.00)
#119: Delaware State (20.96) out of 120

Yet people from other parts of the country question why UD won't play DSU. :nono:

andy7171
January 17th, 2007, 10:15 AM
BTW, rather interesting...

#1: Delaware (95.00)
#119: Delaware State (20.96) out of 120

Yet people from other parts of the country question why UD won't play DSU. :nono:

What does this stupid fan poll based on attendance, cheerleading squads, NFL Hall of Famer alumni and hot dog sales have to do with why they won't play each other?

Do you think Del State would travel as well as West Chester?

Dare I point out quality schools in the A-10 at the bottom of that listing and without 25% of the following Delaware has, yet mustered up beating them?

89Hen
January 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Do you think Del State would travel as well as West Chester?

Dare I point out quality schools in the A-10 at the bottom of that listing and without 25% of the following Delaware has, yet mustered up beating them?
:confused: What does either have to do with anything? We don't WANT anyone to travel well to Newark. We sell out with Hen fans as it is. And there's not much you can do about conference mates, or do you expect Hen fans to help sell out Meade? :rolleyes:

andy7171
January 17th, 2007, 10:30 AM
:confused: What does either have to do with anything? We don't WANT anyone to travel well to Newark. We sell out with Hen fans as it is. And there's not much you can do about conference mates, or do you expect Hen fans to help sell out Meade? :rolleyes:
Now I'm confused.
You use the listing to explain why UD doesn't play DSU, then you say what does either have to do with the other?
Chalk me up as one of those people from another part of the country that doesn't understand why you don't play each other.

Hofstra, Rhode Island, Northeastern and Towson are all low on that listing. Northeasern and URI were old Yankee teams. But Hofstra and Towson are new comers. Delaware didn't shy away from scheduling Towson when we had lesser of a following and independant status.

89Hen
January 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post. DSU has nothing to offer UD. We fill our stadium, so we don't need somebody to travel well (actually don't WANT somebody who will want tix). We have a team that plays at UD every year with no expectation the game will be anywhere else, and for relatively little money (not that I want to keep WCU). DSU may say they don't want anything more, but then why would they want the game in the first place?

The only reason I posted it is that a fan based poll, of people who presumably are the same ones who try to tell UD they should play DSU, is saying that DSU has the second worst game day atmosphere while UD is the best. This only reinforces the point that DSU would benefit from the game, while UD would not.

andy7171
January 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I understand you now.
And you also explained why Towson scheduled the two game AWAY/AWAY series back in 92-93.

I think everyone would like to see the UD vs DSU match up because of a percieved in-state rivalry. But in reality, 99.3% of college football fans residing in Delaware are Blue Hen fans. That match up would only appease 0.7% of the population.

89Hen
January 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I think everyone would like to see the UD vs DSU match up because of a percieved in-state rivalry. But in reality, 99.3% of college football fans residing in Delaware are Blue Hen fans. That match up would only appease 0.7% of the population.
:nod: It is a perceived thing for out of staters. Having grown up in DE and having lived in both ends of the state... there is no buzz about UD vs DSU in anything. Trying to create a buzz with a football game... artificial IMO. Again, if UD were at 50% capacity and had trouble getting OOC games... I'd be in favor of it. But that's not the case.

henfan
January 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Andy, to offer a dissenting anecdotal opinion from a native and life-long resident, more Delawareans I speak with who are sports fans would like to see UD play DSU than not (or at least not see UD intentionally avoid DSU.) Of course, I haven't polled all 784,000 Delawareans either.:smiley_wi

Then again, in most states it doesn't take voter referendums or legislative acts to get two state college sports teams in the same (sub)division to play each other. It most states that sort of thing is written off as common sense.

Coincidentally, your Towson team has benefited from UD's persistant avoidance of DSU. The 1992/93 games in Newark were arranged after UD backed out of a tentative deal with the Hornets.

(IMO, any poll that has McNeese ranked out of the top 5 gameday environment is just wacky!)

Mr. Tiger
January 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about this. Obviously I only just found out who was in the mascot suit. I'm going to get this part of the article changed as a result.

But as for having impatient fans, you can't deny that you guys ARE impatient. There was absolutely chatter on the MEAC/SWAC boards for getting Spears...

Thanks :thumbsup: and whoever you saw posting anything about Spears and Jackson State please tell them they are xidiotx xlolx . Coach Rick Comegy did a good job for his first year.

andy7171
January 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Andy, to offer a dissenting anecdotal opinion from a native and life-long resident, more Delawareans I speak with who are sports fans would like to see UD play DSU than not (or at least not see UD intentionally avoid DSU.) Of course, I haven't polled all 784,000 Delawareans either.:smiley_wi

Then again, in most states it doesn't take voter referendums or legislative acts to get two state college sports teams in the same (sub)division to play each other. It most states that sort of thing is written off as common sense.
Coincidentally, your Towson team has benefited from UD's persistant avoidance of DSU. The 1992/93 games in Newark were arranged after UD backed out of a tentative deal with the Hornets.

(IMO, any poll that has McNeese ranked out of the top 5 gameday environment is just wacky!)

Eh, You'd be surprised, Maryland avoids playing Navy in football just as much as Georgetown avoids Maryland in basketball.

I understand your points.

89Hen
January 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
more Delawareans I speak with who are sports fans would like to see UD play DSU than not (or at least not see UD intentionally avoid DSU.) Of course, I haven't polled all 784,000 Delawareans either.:smiley_wi
Well when you do, come back and give us the results. You probably hang around with a questionable crowd anyway. :p

GannonFan
January 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Not exactly true - didn't the West Virginia legislature need to get involved to get West Virginia to play Marshall? Ohio St's been shunning Ohio U for years now (just kinda sarcastic on that one as Ohio St rotates the state schools in). But Penn St and Pittsburgh don't play anymore. And like the other poster said, Maryland ducks Navy. Often, if you didn't start playing your state rival close to when you both starting playing football, it's not all that easy to start it up apparently.

henfan
January 17th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Not exactly true - didn't the West Virginia legislature need to get involved to get West Virginia to play Marshall?

I'm afraid I nailed it, GF. Go back and read what I wrote. "Then again, in most states..." WV and, even if they pressed the matter through the legis, DE would constitute a very small minority of states. Didn't say "all states" or "everywhere except DE", etc.

And even the WV & DE situations are completely different. At least WVU and MU had met 5 times in their history before the legis pressed for the series to resume.

I'd imagine that if Ohio State didn't already play Ohio U 5 times, if USNA didn't play UMd 21 times, and Penn St. and Pitt play 47 times, folks in their states would be doing more than just scratching their heads as well... and rightfully so. As a Delawarean and UD alum, it's not something of which I'm exactly proud.

aust42
January 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM
GannonFan "And like the other poster said, Maryland ducks Navy."

I guess none of your guys have heard about the infamous middle finger incident in 1965? MD returned a kickoff for a TD late in the game against reigning Heisman Trophy winner Roger Stauback and the Midshipmen at Byrd stadium and held on for a huge upset. During the celebration one of the MD players ran over to the brigade of Middies in the stands and gave them the middle finger. Navy folk were so upset they canceled the regular series with MD and refused to play them until 2005.

andy7171
January 18th, 2007, 06:32 AM
GannonFan "And like the other poster said, Maryland ducks Navy."

I guess none of your guys have heard about the infamous middle finger incident in 1965? MD returned a kickoff for a TD late in the game against reigning Heisman Trophy winner Roger Stauback and the Midshipmen at Byrd stadium and held on for a huge upset. During the celebration one of the MD players ran over to the brigade of Middies in the stands and gave them the middle finger. Navy folk were so upset they canceled the regular series with MD and refused to play them until 2005.
:read: Very interesting! I didn't know that.:hurray: