PDA

View Full Version : Does Your FB Coach Make More than Your President?

Catatonic
November 16th, 2016, 05:20 PM
The highest paid federal employees are the coaches for the three service academies. They make more than the President, Supreme Court Justices, Senators, Generals in the Pentagon, Representatives or members the Cabinet.

The Highest paid state employee in 40 of the 50 states is the Coach of State U rather than the Governor or college president.

Does this phenomenon extend to the FCS level? Does your FB coach make more than your president or other academic employees?

At Abilene Christian our FB coach makes about half what our prez makes. That may change as we search for a new coach though.

Anyway, what about on your campus? Who gets the biggest bucks?

ST_Lawson
November 16th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I believe that our football coach (Charlie Fisher) is the second-highest-paid employee at Western. Our president makes just over 250k, and last I heard, Fisher makes 180k base. That's without any bonuses and stuff though. Our provost/academic VP makes 180k as well, although, as I said, Fisher probably makes at least a bit more due to bonuses.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 16th, 2016, 05:33 PM
JMU's President base salary: $436,968
JMU's football coach base salary: $300,000
JMU's Provost: $292,751
JMU SVP of Finance: $287,404
JMU AD: $206,408

JMUNJ08
November 16th, 2016, 06:01 PM
The highest paid federal employees are the coaches for the three service academies. They make more than the President, Supreme Court Justices, Senators, Generals in the Pentagon, Representatives or members the Cabinet.

The Highest paid state employee in 40 of the 50 states is the Coach of State U rather than the Governor or college president.

Does this phenomenon extend to the FCS level? Does your FB coach make more than your president or other academic employees?

At Abilene Christian our FB coach makes about half what our prez makes. That may change as we search for a new coach though.

Anyway, what about on your campus? Who gets the biggest bucks?

Exhibit A of why we suck as a country.... not trying to derail the thread but seriously...

IBleedYellow
November 16th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Exhibit A of why we suck as a country.... not trying to derail the thread but seriously...
I mean...sort of.

What's your suggestion for political pay? Because they already set for life once they get elected, basically.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2016, 06:06 PM
UR's President makes about $800k.

Our football coach makes about $450k.

Our basketball coach makes about $1.2m.

Catatonic
November 16th, 2016, 06:41 PM

Basketball more important than FB? In the cradle of the Confederacy? What would Jefferson Davis have thought?

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Basketball more important than FB? In the cradle of the Confederacy? What would Jefferson Davis have thought?

Mid-major baseball coaches always make more than FCS football coaches, and the A-10 isn't really mid major.

At Lafayette (these are best guesses)

President about 600k

Football coach about 175k (although he deserves a sack of nickels and damaged canned goods)

Basketball coach about 275k

FargoBison
November 16th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Klieman makes a bit under $400k($300k base...$25k personal appearances and $65k media)...incentives can push him over $450k.

I think President Bresciani is somewhere over $350k.

SUPharmacist
November 16th, 2016, 07:36 PM
I mean...sort of.

What's your suggestion for political pay? Because they already set for life once they get elected, basically.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Depends on the office, major national office yeah, but a lot of local things get paid peanuts and are not revolving door to lobbying. Either way it is probably safe to say coaches at big college programs make more than they should with unpaid athletes. Although I do not see it changing.

SUPharmacist
November 16th, 2016, 07:39 PM

If I recall correctly the SBOHE wanted him to volunteer for a pay cut, to which he responded if they don't think he is worth it they can cut his pay but he would not volunteer to do so. I go back and forth on how I feel about him, but I can respect that stance.

AmsterBison
November 16th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Klieman makes a bit under $400k($300k base...$25k personal appearances and $65k media)...incentives can push him over $450k.

I'd tend to exclude the $90k in outside media stuff which would put Coach K. at a $300k base with $60k in available incentives.

President B. gets $355 guaranteed plus some pretty nice benefits (like free housing.)

NDSU might be the only campus in the nation where the FB coach has more job security than the President.

dudeitsaid
November 16th, 2016, 08:54 PM
This is what the State of Washington salaries website says:

Code

Agency

Employee

Job Title

Eastern Washington University

CULLINAN, MARY (http://fiscal.wa.gov/FRViewer.aspx?Rpt=AnnualSalary#Pea7a0943317e45ef90 d9902c2ec72670_3_52iT0)

PRESIDENT

AREVALO, RODOLFO (http://fiscal.wa.gov/FRViewer.aspx?Rpt=AnnualSalary#Pea7a0943317e45ef90 d9902c2ec72670_3_52iT0)

SPECIAL ASST TO PRESIDENT

BALDWIN, BEAU (http://fiscal.wa.gov/FRViewer.aspx?Rpt=AnnualSalary#Pea7a0943317e45ef90 d9902c2ec72670_3_52iT0)

HEAD FOOTBALL COACH

Personally, I think Baldwin would make a hell of a university president. He should pull double duty! Maybe then, we'd get the fricken stadium expansion moving...

ngineer
November 16th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Lehigh's prez probably in the $800K range. Football coach's package probably about $150-170K.

WeAreThePride
November 16th, 2016, 10:42 PM

Tell me more about how we would be a better country if the president made 8 million a year? Tell me grandpa!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 17th, 2016, 12:13 AM
The point is not about money or salaries, it's about national priorities.

It's a tongue-in-cheek thing to say. If you look at college athletics vs. federal spending on domestic and foreign affairs, I think we are still ok. The spending does not really go into federal employees' salaries (I know all too well as a federal employee). Would we be better off if the millions raised for and spent on college athletics were spent on education and other infrastructure investment? Probably, but it would be a pretty damn boring country, no?

The larger debate would be about how that spending is prioritized... Enter Trump.

*steps slowly away from the conversation*

Bisonoline
November 17th, 2016, 12:28 AM

It's a tongue-in-cheek thing to say. If you look at college athletics vs. federal spending on domestic and foreign affairs, I think we are still ok. The spending does not really go into federal employees' salaries (I know all too well as a federal employee). Would we be better off if the millions raised for and spent on college athletics were spent on education and other infrastructure investment? Probably, but it would be a pretty damn boring country, no?

The larger debate would be about how that spending is prioritized... Enter Trump.

You might have a point but many coaches salaries are paid for by the boosters and development foundations. Federal dollars really dont come in to play here. Plus you are assuming that the dollars raised would be the same -- "" better off if the millions raised for and spent on college athletics were spent on education and other infrastructure investment"

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 17th, 2016, 03:52 AM
I get that. I am talking more broadly philosophically about spending, not the particular streams of funding (private donations vs. federal or state funds). I think that's the point in general - where we choose to spend our money, personally or as a nation.

ysubigred
November 17th, 2016, 07:05 AM
I'd say Bo and Tressel are close. Both are getting $$ from other sources. xeyebrowx

SuperJon
November 17th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Jerry Jr's base is $896,610 with total coming to $926,634.

Turner Gill's base is $658,492 with total coming to $750,116.

BEAR
November 17th, 2016, 11:26 AM
UCA's
President: $242,000 (UCA just chose a new president who will make $340,000 )
Football coach: $186,850
Basketball coach: $136,350

Matt
November 17th, 2016, 11:31 AM

beat me to it. christ is mooney overpaid..

Hanca
November 17th, 2016, 03:26 PM

But both our president and football coach are better bball coaches

JMUNJ08
November 17th, 2016, 03:42 PM

Tongue in cheek for sure. Not that our political folks should get more but that coaches get so much $$ and the priorities aren't there. If our highest paid federal employees are football coaches, and not folks that can solve major problems affecting us all, we need to realign. Our education system needs the money in EDUCATION. Not in heated floors for workout areas for 100 football players...

UNDBIZ
November 17th, 2016, 04:22 PM
University of North Dakota

Med School Dean - $700,000
President - $365,000
Hockey coach - Right around $400,000 last year ($290,000 base)
Football coach - $165,000 base

Hammerhead
November 17th, 2016, 06:57 PM
It's just supply and demand. I'd rather see teachers and police officers get paid more than football coaches, but there aren't that many people who are really good coaches.

Nickels
November 17th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Not sure how much she makes but she is most likely the pilfiest president in the FCS.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuR0sPrIcAAeTG9.jpg

Bisonoline
November 17th, 2016, 10:19 PM
I get that. I am talking more broadly philosophically about spending, not the particular streams of funding (private donations vs. federal or state funds). I think that's the point in general - where we choose to spend our money, personally or as a nation.

The millions raised for athletics also goes to educating those athletes. The public is also entertained and more of lifes lessons are learned while participating in sports than what you learn in the class room. So you get more bang for your buck.

Catatonic
November 18th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Abilene Christian

Phil Schubert, President 369,750
Ken Collums, FB Coach 151,132

Our now former FB coach was the 16th highest paid employee. The basketball coach isn't in the top paid employee list submitted to the IRS (form 990).

The salary for FB coach will jump when hire a new coach. The market has changed since we hired Collums.

not sure what the ball girl makes but she needs a raise. She has greatly increased our visibility, at least on AGS.

OSBF
November 18th, 2016, 07:11 AM
ILS

President Larry Dietz, $95,978
Coach Spak, something north of 250K

Found this article interesting......................

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/reboot-illinois/5-of-the-top-paid-univers_b_7562198.html

ysubigred
November 18th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Not sure how much she makes but she is most likely the pilfiest president in the FCS.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuR0sPrIcAAeTG9.jpg

I'd hit it xthumbsupx

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2016, 08:55 AM
ILS

President Larry Dietz, $95,978
Coach Spak, something north of 250K

Found this article interesting......................

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/reboot-illinois/5-of-the-top-paid-univers_b_7562198.html

Seriously?

OSBF
November 18th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Seriously?

There's a backstory. Dietz has been around the university in various capacities for I'd guess at least 20 years.
We made a REALLY bad hire for prez
There was shall we say an incident between the prez and a staff member of the grounds maintenance dept that resulted in criminal charges against the prez
And since he wasn't a football/basketball player, it was "mutually" agreed for him to move along
Contractually, it cost the university quite a bit of green to make him go away
Dietz gave them the old home team discount to help out
at least with this first contract
I'm sure it will be made "right" when he either extends or signs a new contract

Redbird 4th & short
November 18th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Seriously?

Don't listen to OSBF, Dietx makes 350k on a 3 year deal. Very popular hire, on level of Bowman .. guy in between was a complete idiot.

OSBF
November 18th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Did some checking with the author of the article
They had his new position, but listed the salary from his former position
Knew about the error, but didn't see the need to publish a correction/retraction

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Ok, $350k per year is solid. Couldn't believe that first number, as the dean (reports to president of a separate 4 year university) of ND's smallest 2 year college (450 students) makes around $140k.

dgtw
November 18th, 2016, 08:24 PM
As of January 20, every coach will make more than the POTUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
December 6th, 2016, 04:12 PM
UNI just announced their next president.

He will make the same as the previous president - $357,110

UNIFanSince1983
December 6th, 2016, 04:18 PM
UNI just announced their next president.

He will make the same as the previous president - $357,110

Apparently he has a Masters in Astrophysics. Sounds like an intelligent man.

clenz
December 6th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Apparently he has a Masters in Astrophysics. Sounds like an intelligent man.
Yep.

We literally hired a rocket scientist to be our president. It sounded like it as he was talking about data points in his forum last week. He graduated from Southwest Minnesota State with a bachelor’s degree in physics and mathematics in 1980, a master’s degree in astrophysics from Iowa State University in 1983 and his Ph.D. in astronomy from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1990.

Seems like a massive supporter of on campus athletics and fine arts. He said he and his wife make it a point to attend every single event they can get to be it football, M/W BB, volleyball, wrestling, soccer, etc... and everything from the major broadway shows that come to campus to performances in the smallest theater on campus that are put on as part of a degree requirement.

So far, I really like what I hear from him.

Bogus Megapardus
December 6th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Lafayette College's president, Alison Byerly, made $558,475 in her first full year on the job (2014) according to The Morning Call (http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-lehigh-valley-college-president-compensation-20161205-story.html). Speculation is that recently-resigned Lafayette head coach Frank Tavani made about half that amount.

Serpentor
December 6th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Yep.

We literally hired a rocket scientist to be our president. It sounded like it as he was talking about data points in his forum last week. He graduated from Southwest Minnesota State with a bachelor’s degree in physics and mathematics in 1980, a master’s degree in astrophysics from Iowa State University in 1983 and his Ph.D. in astronomy from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1990.

Seems like a massive supporter of on campus athletics and fine arts. He said he and his wife make it a point to attend every single event they can get to be it football, M/W BB, volleyball, wrestling, soccer, etc... and everything from the major broadway shows that come to campus to performances in the smallest theater on campus that are put on as part of a degree requirement.

So far, I really like what I hear from him.

A football-loving nerd in a position of authority in academia? That's the rarest of all Pokémon!