PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Week 11 Review + Power Rankings

MrTitleist
November 16th, 2016, 09:13 AM
http://thefcswedge.com/big-sky-conference/big-sky-review-power-rankings-week-11/

A day late this week as I was covering the Montana/Wyoming basketball game on Monday night.

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2016, 09:24 AM
How does UND "score a bye the last week of regular season?" I would rather have one in the middle of the year than play 11 games in a row. They were a mash unit on offense vs. NAU.

MrTitleist
November 16th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Of course, anyone would love to have one mid-season. But with North Dakota having two weeks to heal up heading into the playoffs.. you have to admit that's a big advantage where a lot of teams will go limping into the playoffs.

wapiti
November 16th, 2016, 09:46 AM
My picks for this weeks games:

Eastern Washington 35 at Portland State 24
Montana State 27 at Montana 48
Southern Utah 27 at Northern Arizona 38
Weber State 32 at Idaho State 24
Northern Colorado 17 at Cal Poly 28
Sacramento State 31 at UC Davis 34

I think having this much time off for North Dakota will be too much time off, especially if they get a bye for the first round of playoffs. Injured/hurt players will have time to heal, but the healthy players may get rusty.

UNDColorado
November 16th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Of course, anyone would love to have one mid-season. But with North Dakota having two weeks to heal up heading into the playoffs.. you have to admit that's a big advantage where a lot of teams will go limping into the playoffs.

I agree, UND is really beat up right now. We limped through the NAU game and I believe if we had to play a game this week we would be in trouble. Normally I wouldn't like this bye week setup but the injury situation has swayed my opinion.

JALMOND
November 17th, 2016, 11:36 PM
Really late with these. Figures, though, as I started the year dealing with a personal crisis, and now at the end of the year, I'm dealing with a work related crisis. Gives me almost no time to put any thought to the conference power rankings so I'm basically shooting from the hip (which means there should be a lot of room for discussion, heh heh). Here are this week's power rankings with last week in parenthesis. Very late with these I know but have at them.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 48-17, this week at Portland State---Even if they were to lose to Portland State, the Eagles are going to be in the playoffs, most likely as a top seed. But why not go out on top?

2. North Dakota (2)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 38-31, this week bye---The Hawks came back in dramatic fashion last week, completing an undefeated conference season and heading in to the playoffs. They will have at least one week before that happens (maybe two?).

3. Weber State (7)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 22-15, this week at Idaho State---Talk about throwing a wrench into the whole mess, but that is exactly what the Wildcats did last week. Can they be the third Big Sky team in the playoffs? Maybe but they can't look past their rivals this weekend.

4. Cal Poly (3)---Last week lost at Weber State 22-15, this week Northern Colorado at home---Two weeks ago, the Mustangs were pretty much a lock for the playoffs but losses in the last two games have caused some doubt to creep in. They may need a win and even that may not be enough.

5. Northern Arizona (4)---Last week lost at North Dakota 38-31, this week Southern Utah at home---In a strange case of "What the hell happened" the Lumberjacks were feeling pretty good about themselves and a playoff spot last weekend, only to have everything taken away from them at the end.

6. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week beat Montana at home 28-25, this week at Cal Poly---With their first conference win over Montana last weekend, the Bears put themselves back on the playoff map, although they may need not only a win but some help to get some serious consideration.

7. Southern Utah (5)---Last week lost at FBS Independent Brigham Young 37-7, this week at Northern Arizona---The Thunderbirds really needed a win last week for any shot at the playoffs, a tall order when playing up a level. Now they are playing out the string.

8. Montana (6)---Last week lost at Northern Colorado 28-25, this week Montana State at home---The Grizzlies usually live for the playoffs, but after last weekend's loss, their hopes have been seriously diminished. They may need a decisive win and some help to get in this year.

9. Montana State (11)---Last week beat UC-Davis at home 27-13, this week at Montana---The true meaning of a rivalry. After getting just their first conference win last weekend, the Bobcats are now looking forward to knocking their fierce rivals out of the playoff picture for good.

10. Portland State (9)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 42-35, this week Eastern Washington at home---No magical season for the Vikings this year as they took one on the chin to another opponent who had two weeks to prepare for them. Playing out the slate, it is their turn to face the mighty Eagles.

11. Sacramento State (13)---Last week beat Portland State at home 42-35, this week at UC-Davis---Instead of trying their best to lose yet another game, the Hornets actually came through with the win. Now they head down the Causeway to face their bitter rivals for a fight for the bottom.

12. UC-Davis (10)---Last week lost at Montana State 27-13, this week Sacramento State at home---The Aggies could not get anything going on offense and could not get the win. Their season having been relatively over for awhile, they end it at home against their rivals from the east.

13. Idaho State (12)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 48-17, this week Weber State at home---As the Bengals lost another one and are getting ready to face another team that is probably playoff bound, one has to wonder if this will be the end of the Kramer regime after this game.

RECAP: 1, then 2, then 3-8 bunched together, 9-13 falling off the pace.

geaux_sioux
November 17th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Tell that to our players who resemble extras from the walking dead.

Bisonoline
November 18th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Tell that to our players who resemble extras from the walking dead.

Sniff sniff

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Sniff sniff
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hEciQKGGX8Q/UA9fweqFjVI/AAAAAAAAADw/UA1FTpzBc0o/s1600/rock+meme.jpg

SactoHornetFan
November 18th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Really late with these. Figures, though, as I started the year dealing with a personal crisis, and now at the end of the year, I'm dealing with a work related crisis. Gives me almost no time to put any thought to the conference power rankings so I'm basically shooting from the hip (which means there should be a lot of room for discussion, heh heh). Here are this week's power rankings with last week in parenthesis. Very late with these I know but have at them.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 48-17, this week at Portland State---Even if they were to lose to Portland State, the Eagles are going to be in the playoffs, most likely as a top seed. But why not go out on top?

2. North Dakota (2)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 38-31, this week bye---The Hawks came back in dramatic fashion last week, completing an undefeated conference season and heading in to the playoffs. They will have at least one week before that happens (maybe two?).

3. Weber State (7)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 22-15, this week at Idaho State---Talk about throwing a wrench into the whole mess, but that is exactly what the Wildcats did last week. Can they be the third Big Sky team in the playoffs? Maybe but they can't look past their rivals this weekend.

4. Cal Poly (3)---Last week lost at Weber State 22-15, this week Northern Colorado at home---Two weeks ago, the Mustangs were pretty much a lock for the playoffs but losses in the last two games have caused some doubt to creep in. They may need a win and even that may not be enough.

5. Northern Arizona (4)---Last week lost at North Dakota 38-31, this week Southern Utah at home---In a strange case of "What the hell happened" the Lumberjacks were feeling pretty good about themselves and a playoff spot last weekend, only to have everything taken away from them at the end.

6. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week beat Montana at home 28-25, this week at Cal Poly---With their first conference win over Montana last weekend, the Bears put themselves back on the playoff map, although they may need not only a win but some help to get some serious consideration.

7. Southern Utah (5)---Last week lost at FBS Independent Brigham Young 37-7, this week at Northern Arizona---The Thunderbirds really needed a win last week for any shot at the playoffs, a tall order when playing up a level. Now they are playing out the string.

8. Montana (6)---Last week lost at Northern Colorado 28-25, this week Montana State at home---The Grizzlies usually live for the playoffs, but after last weekend's loss, their hopes have been seriously diminished. They may need a decisive win and some help to get in this year.

9. Montana State (11)---Last week beat UC-Davis at home 27-13, this week at Montana---The true meaning of a rivalry. After getting just their first conference win last weekend, the Bobcats are now looking forward to knocking their fierce rivals out of the playoff picture for good.

10. Portland State (9)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 42-35, this week Eastern Washington at home---No magical season for the Vikings this year as they took one on the chin to another opponent who had two weeks to prepare for them. Playing out the slate, it is their turn to face the mighty Eagles.

11. Sacramento State (13)---Last week beat Portland State at home 42-35, this week at UC-Davis---Instead of trying their best to lose yet another game, the Hornets actually came through with the win. Now they head down the Causeway to face their bitter rivals for a fight for the bottom.

12. UC-Davis (10)---Last week lost at Montana State 27-13, this week Sacramento State at home---The Aggies could not get anything going on offense and could not get the win. Their season having been relatively over for awhile, they end it at home against their rivals from the east.

13. Idaho State (12)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 48-17, this week Weber State at home---As the Bengals lost another one and are getting ready to face another team that is probably playoff bound, one has to wonder if this will be the end of the Kramer regime after this game.

RECAP: 1, then 2, then 3-8 bunched together, 9-13 falling off the pace.

We beat both MSU and PSU and you have us below both? xeyebrowxxthumbsdownx