PDA

View Full Version : PC BLUE HOSE Who's gonna coach?

Purple Pride
January 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Sorry, but these names keep changing so much, and they're all Alumni High School coaches. What's up with that?

Sir William
January 15th, 2007, 08:34 AM
The appeal about Bentley (Byrnes HC) is multifaceted.

1) PC alum.
2) Proven winner, year after year after year, and not just at state level, but on national level.
3) Built average high school program into a national powerhouse.
4) He's young (unlike McKissick, et al.)...late 30's
5) Very likeable to players and parents! This is important for recruiting.
6) Given that he is a PC alum (see #1 above), he has an extra measure of love for the school and the football program there...thus a more internalized motivation to see it succeed.

The issue is money...can PC afford to pay him the amount it would take to get him away from an already lucrative situation at Byrnes. The answer is "yes". The real question: is PC willing to pay?

rokamortis
January 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM
How much is he making at Byrnes with all of the perks? I know bucdad said $90,000 before bonus and other. What would PC have to offer?

OL FU
January 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Ok, I will let you guys tell me why I am wrong. but does anyone here have a problem with a high school coach at a public school making more than all the teachers and probably the principal. I know you can make a argument for free market and the money that comes in for the school and what's the difference in college and high school, .............................:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: It just seems different. Universities aren't even close to being supported entirely by tax dollars , high schools are almost 100%. Tell me why this shouldn't bother me and yes I know that this is not the subject of the thread.

lizrdgizrd
January 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I heard from the father of a current PC player that they are expecting to hear who the new coach is early this week.

gobluehose1
January 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Most of us at PC are really hoping that they either hire Todd Varn (current OC) or that we get Nichols from URI....however, the powers at be seem to be obsessed with naming a 'PC man.' I would rather just have the best man for the job.

I don't doubt Bentley's success at Byrnes HS, but considering the division we are moving into, I would rather have someone at the helm with at least some college coaching experience. The two aforementioned guys have college experience and have proven themselves worthy.

Sir William
January 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Most of us at PC are really hoping that they either hire Todd Varn (current OC) or that we get Nichols from URI....however, the powers at be seem to be obsessed with naming a 'PC man.' I would rather just have the best man for the job.

I don't doubt Bentley's success at Byrnes HS, but considering the division we are moving into, I would rather have someone at the helm with at least some college coaching experience. The two aforementioned guys have college experience and have proven themselves worthy.

Todd Varn would seemingly be a good choice, having served on Spangler's staff...continuity. Nichols is a "PC man" ('89 grad); said to be a great assistant caoch at URI...other than that, don't know much about him.

As for Bentley, I don't think he would have too much trouble successfully guiding PC during the transition.

However it goes, it will be interesting, and I wish PC the very best success in the Big South. :thumbsup:

Sly Fox
January 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Down here in Texas superintendents love the high salaries of football coaches because it means they get their own raises. Texas law mandates that the super be the highest paid employee int he district.

gobluehose1
January 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM
It was announced on New channell 7 tonight, a local channel here in Spartanburg SC, that Bobby Bently has resigned from Byrnes High School as the Head Football Coach and athletic director to become the head football coach at a "small college in SC"

I hope the powers at be know what they are doing.....I am skeptical at this point...it will be interesting how things play out

Sly Fox
January 15th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Interesting choice. But considering his connections he could be a terrific recruiter.

Purple Pride
January 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
It's official:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/10754921/detail.html

Sir William
January 15th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Good choice. Not surprised. Byrnes will miss him.

Eyes of Old Main
January 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Good luck to PC with this move. They've either hit a home run, or set themselves up for a trainwreck.

I still can't believe they'd bypass some of the great assistants that are out there. Oh, well, at least they'll be able to sleep better at night knowing that they hired an alum.

CSU BUCS
January 16th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Ok, I will let you guys tell me why I am wrong. but does anyone here have a problem with a high school coach at a public school making more than all the teachers and probably the principal. I know you can make a argument for free market and the money that comes in for the school and what's the difference in college and high school, .............................:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: It just seems different. Universities aren't even close to being supported entirely by tax dollars , high schools are almost 100%. Tell me why this shouldn't bother me and yes I know that this is not the subject of the thread.

Most High School coaches also teach...........it's extra work.......why shouldn't they be paid more than a 190 day teacher?

OL FU
January 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Most High School coaches also teach...........it's extra work.......why shouldn't they be paid more than a 190 day teacher?

If they do they certainly should and that might explain it.

I assumed he did not

Ol Blue
January 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM

As a Public High School Teacher I can tell you how the salaries can get that high. First he probably teaches a full load and gets the base salary for that teaching position. He also gets a supplement for the time and effort spent above and beyond the school day preparing and coaching football. Then, he may also be the athletic director and receive a supplement for that. Finally, he probably teaches a weightlifting class in the summer and receives more for that too. There may be other paid duties that I am not familiar with.

So, he is probably making a base teacher salary and approximately 35-40% more for his extra duties. Bottom line, he works beyond the school day for the extra money.

At least by moving to the college level he won't have to teach a full load of classes....just concentrate on football. That in itself is enough to attract most High School coaches.

OL FU
January 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
As a Public High School Teacher I can tell you how the salaries can get that high. First he probably teaches a full load and gets the base salary for that teaching position. Then he also gets a supplement for the time and effort spent above and beyond the school day preparing and coaching football. Then he may also be the athletic director and receive a supplement for that. Finally, he probably teaches a weightlifting class in the summer and receives more for that too.

So, he is probably making a base teacher salary and approximately 35-40% more for his extra duties.

Bottom line, he works beyond the school day for the extra money.

Thanks, that is why I was asking. I have been out of high school A long time. :smiley_wi IF they are all reasonable add ons I have no problem with the money

Coastal89
January 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM
As a Public High School Teacher I can tell you how the salaries can get that high. First he probably teaches a full load and gets the base salary for that teaching position. He also gets a supplement for the time and effort spent above and beyond the school day preparing and coaching football. Then, he may also be the athletic director and receive a supplement for that. Finally, he probably teaches a weightlifting class in the summer and receives more for that too. There may be other paid duties that I am not familiar with.

So, he is probably making a base teacher salary and approximately 35-40% more for his extra duties. Bottom line, he works beyond the school day for the extra money.

At least by moving to the college level he won't have to teach a full load of classes....just concentrate on football. That in itself is enough to attract most High School coaches.
From what i've read, the FB coach at PC is expected to teach a class. Spangler had to teach while he was HC.

OL FU
January 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM
From what i've read, the FB coach at PC is expected to teach a class. Spangler had to teach while he was HC.

yeah, but they are Division I now:smiley_wi

catdaddy2402
January 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
but does anyone here have a problem with a high school coach at a public school making more than all the teachers and probably the principal.

Unless I was told wrong there is either a law or regulation that the principal of a school is the highest paid person at the school. I was told this when Jimmy Satterfield went to Lexington to coach.

PCbluehose
January 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
According to an e-mail sent by the President of PC:

To the PC family:

With the resignation of head football coach Tommy Spangler earlier this month, we immediately began a search to find the person to lead our football team into the Big South conference and Division I-IAA play next fall.

I am pleased to announce that we have found our candidate, and that he has accepted our offer. We plan to introduce Coach Bobby Bentley to our community tomorrow.

You are cordially invited to attend a press conference at 10:00 am in Edmunds Hall. Your presence will help give our new head football coach and his family a rousing Blue Hose welcome.

Students and faculty, we hope you will attend if your class schedule permits. In the event that you cannot, we will also hold an informal reception for the coach and his family tomorrow afternoon at 1:30 in Mabry-Smith-Yonce. I hope that you will be able to join us for either or both events.

As the 10:00 am event is a press conference and there will be both television and newspaper media in attendance, parking around Edmunds will be limited. Public safety will be on hand to handle any traffic issues.

Tomorrow will be an exciting day for the Presbyterian College family, and we look forward to having you with us as we make this announcement.

Sincerely,

John Griffith

OL FU
January 16th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I have to make the obligatory smart comment.

He will miss the attendance at Brynes games. :nod: :o

OK I have said it. Now I wish him luck. Could be a good sign for PC's future.:nod:

CSU BUCS
January 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
According to Bentley's brother, Bobby will be making 170k per year........WOW! A little hard for me to believe since Spanlgler was only making around 80K

Sir William
January 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
According to Bentley's brother, Bobby will be making 170k per year........WOW! A little hard for me to believe since Spanlgler was only making around 80K

That figure is probably not base salary. In all likelihood, it would represent what he has the potential to make with certain number of victories, a conference championship, entry into playoffs, etc. Doubtful that the base is 170K at PC. This figure pbabaly also includes $$ generated by football camps. Either way, Bentley is sitting pretty, and with the building of a successful program, the money will come.

chantster
January 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I have to make the obligatory smart comment.

He will miss the attendance at Brynes games. :nod: :o

OK I have said it. Now I wish him luck. Could be a good sign for PC's future.:nod:

Okay, let me make my one oblig comment.

Hey Bobby, this ain't high school football anymore. You will play in the rain. Try calling a coach and canceling because its raining in Clinton, and see what happens.

Okay, good luck.

RabidRabbit
January 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Doesn't look like he'll be BLUE about being a Hoser! xlolx xlolx :p

Coastal89
January 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Okay, let me make my one oblig comment.

Hey Bobby, this ain't high school football anymore. You will play in the rain. Try calling a coach and canceling because its raining in Clinton, and see what happens.

Okay, good luck.
From what I've been reading he is going to hire a staff made up mostly of HS coaches.:eyebrow: Prediction: 2007 PC football goes 3-8 at best.

PCbluehose
January 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM
We should beat previous SAC foe Wingate, North Greenville, VMI, and Chuck South...other than that I don't expect to win many more.

Coastal89
January 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM
We should beat previous SAC foe Wingate, North Greenville, VMI, and Chuck South...other than that I don't expect to win many more.
You've obviously never been to a VMI home football game. It's not an easy place to play so I wouldn't count that as a W just yet. :nono:

CSUBUCDAD
January 16th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Bentley was the AD. He did not teach anything.

CSUBUCDAD
January 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Sorry you not gonna beat the Chuck at home next year. Even with Price and Drafts gone, the bulk of both sides of the ball are returning including 3 all Big South defensive starters.

Purple Pride
January 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Jeff Scott from Blythewood High School has been named the Offensive Coordinator at PC.

Sir William
January 16th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Jeff Scott from Blythewood High School has been named the Offensive Coordinator at PC.

I have it from a good source that Bentley has actually hired three high school coaches as part of his new staff.

catamount man
January 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM

25 and already has a state title to his name. Man, we play PC next year and I'm already nervous given our 2006 results. HELL OF A HIRE for Bentley!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

rokamortis
January 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Anyone else think it is a mistake to hire so many highschool coaches with little to no college experience. it is one thing to be good with the X's and O's, but knowing all the rules and regulations of the NCAA will take some time to learn. If I were bentley, i'd surround myself with as many good college assistants as possible.

SuperJon
January 16th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Honestly, if he works closely with the compliance department, the NCAA rules may not be too big of a deal.

Sly Fox
January 16th, 2007, 11:34 PM
How many guys on his staff have legitimate recruiting experience? Wait, I've seen that Byrnes squad on TV. I'm guessing at least the head coach has PLENTY of recruiting experience. xlolx

Coastal89
January 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM
How many guys on his staff have legitimate recruiting experience? Wait, I've seen that Byrnes squad on TV. I'm guessing at least the head coach has PLENTY of recruiting experience. xlolx
Yeah but the Clemson boosters might not be helping him at PC. Byrnes HS had some of the best players money could buy.

OL FU
January 17th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Anyone else think it is a mistake to hire so many highschool coaches with little to no college experience. it is one thing to be good with the X's and O's, but knowing all the rules and regulations of the NCAA will take some time to learn. If I were bentley, i'd surround myself with as many good college assistants as possible.

Sounds like the way Furman's program jump started in the 70's.

Art Baker hired a lot of high school coaches including Dick Sheridan and Jimmy Satterfield. :nod:

Eyes of Old Main
January 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Art Baker hired a lot of high school coaches including Dick Sheridan and Jimmy Satterfield. :nod:

Your point is taken, but I think we will have to wait a few years before we start comparing this guy to Dick Sheridan and Jimmy Satterfield.

Sir William
January 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM
By the way, Bentley signed a four-year contract with the Hose.

Don't expect PC to wreak havoc in the Big South in 2007; but by 2009 and 2010, they should be pretty competitive. The earlier comments about Art Baker bringing in Dick Sheridan and Jimmy Satterfield to Furman in the 70s is very true.

Honestly, this could be the beginning of some great days for PC, but it will require patience. Just ask Bennett at Coastal.

CSU BUCS
January 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
but knowing all the rules and regulations of the NCAA will take some time to learn.

He's already trying to get the Elder kid to transfer in from APP State to play QB. There are rules against contacting players at other schools.

lizrdgizrd
January 17th, 2007, 10:51 AM
He's already trying to get the Elder kid to transfer in from APP State to play QB. There are rules against contacting players at other schools.
Would Elder have to sit out a season? Does PC count as Div II or Div I now?

SuperJon
January 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM

How do you get off saying this? How do you know this? CSU is obviously scared of PC because this was the first year they've beaten PC in how long? Let the mudslinging from CSU fans begin.

CSU BUCS
January 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM
How do you get off saying this? How do you know this? CSU is obviously scared of PC because this was the first year they've beaten PC in how long? Let the mudslinging from CSU fans begin.

hahaha..................WOW

I talk to Brian Bentley, Bobby’s brother, everyday and speak to Bobby frequently that’s how I know this. LOL……… I hope Bobby has the best of luck. I was just referring to the knowledge of NCAA rules that he would have to learn. (in response to the post rokamortis made) No mud slinging here. Come down SJ………..not everyone is as hostile or wishes everybody bad like you believe.

Go Coach Bentley
Go Blue Hose