PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology 6.1

Pages : [1] 2

FargoBison
November 15th, 2016, 10:14 PM
New comittee rankings...so why not a new bracket? I think if SHSU wins they'll jump up a spot or two. UND and SDSU could go either way, that bye could come back to haunt UND but I'm not sure how much SDSU beating a 5-6 UNI team would change things. Illinois State would be the last team out in this scenario, Montana the last team in.

Maine at Lehigh vs 1. NDSU
Weber State at SDSU vs 8. UND
St Francis at YSU vs 5. JMU
San Diego at Cal Poly vs 4. SHSU

Charleston Southern at Wofford vs 6. The Citadel
Villanova at Chattanooga vs 3. JSU
WIU at UCA vs 7. Richmond
Samford at Montana vs 2. EWU

Autobids: EWU, Charleston Southern, JMU, SDSU, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, San Diego, The Citadel, SHSU

At Large: NDSU,Chattanooga, Richmond, UND, UCA, YSU, Cal Poly, Villanova, Samford, Wofford, Maine, WIU, Weber State, Montana

Bubble: Illinois State, Albany, UNC, UNH, UNI, NC A&T/NCCU, Fordham, UT Martin

NoBowls.com
(http://nobowls.com/)http://nobowls.com/images/final-odds.png

Bison Media Zone Bracket...
(https://www.bisonmediazone.com/2016-bracketology-10-0/)

https://i0.wp.com/www.bisonmediazone.com/files/2016/11/2016-Bracketology-10.0.png?resize=768%2C944&ssl=1

Gangtackle11
Cal Poly/San Diego vs. 1. NDSU
SDSU/Weber State vs. 8. North Dakota

UCA/Chattanooga vs. 5.SHSU
Lehigh/Maine vs. 4. JMU

Samford/Youngstown St. vs. 3. Jax State
Charleston So./Wofford vs. 6. The Citadel

Villanova/St.Francis vs. 7. Richmond
Montana/WIU vs. 2. Eastern Washington

UNDBIZ
November 15th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Wouldn't they try to avoid a first round rematch of San Diego vs Cal Poly?

FargoBison
November 15th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Wouldn't they try to avoid a first round rematch of San Diego vs Cal Poly?

It is a bus trip and avoiding it creates another flight so they could have them play again.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 15th, 2016, 10:37 PM
JMU beat a damn good Villanova team and stayed at 4. I understand UCA is at 7 this week, but I really don't think there will be any movement in the top 6 this week. UCA would fall out, SDSU up to 7 leap-frogging UND and Richmond with a win over UNI, and Richmond stays at 8. If there's a conference that deserves two seeded teams, it's the MVFC. My two cents, worth just that.

Gangtackle11
November 15th, 2016, 10:40 PM
A different viewpoint with same teams:

Cal Poly/San Diego vs. 1. NDSU
SDSU/Weber State vs. 8. North Dakota

UCA/Chattanooga vs. 5.SHSU
Lehigh/Maine vs. 4. JMU

Samford/Youngstown St. vs. 3. Jax State
Charleston So./Wofford vs. 6. The Citadel

Villanova/St.Francis vs. 7. Richmond
Montana/WIU vs. 2. Eastern Washington

citdog
November 15th, 2016, 10:41 PM
JMU beat a damn good Villanova team and stayed at 4. I understand UCA is at 7 this week, but I really don't think there will be any movement in the top 6 this week. UCA would fall out, SDSU up to 7 leap-frogging UND and Richmond with a win over UNI, and Richmond stays at 8. If there's a conference that deserves two seeded teams, it's the MVFC. My two cents, worth just that.

The CAA is not a good conference this year. It is rated below the Big Sky in Sagrin and below the Big Sky and the Big South in Massey. The SoCon is the 2nd rated, behind the MVFC in both. The Citadel has 3 Top 25 wins why are they rated below SHSU who has ZERO Top 25 wins, and plays in a league rated BELOW the Patriot League...

F'N Hawks
November 15th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Why would a bye hurt UND?

FargoBison
November 15th, 2016, 10:45 PM

I can assure you that SDSU will be #8 if NDSU is #1.

SHSU is undefeated, it kind of changes the equation because their main knock is having beaten nobody. That said, who knows with this committee.

TheKingpin28
November 15th, 2016, 10:45 PM

Well the wins would be fresh on committees mind vs being on the bye. It can either really help or really hurt depending on what teams do around them

FargoBison
November 15th, 2016, 10:49 PM

SDSU and UND are so close...anything could possibly make a difference.

SDSU has a chance to send a message and put it fresh in the minds of the committee.

MacThor
November 15th, 2016, 10:55 PM
The CAA is not a good conference this year. It is rated below the Big Sky in Sagrin and below the Big Sky and the Big South in Massey.

Been hearing this same thing for years, and the CAA keeps putting teams into the final 4. If only the computers played the games this would be true.
Sagarin and Massey punish the CAA because they play most of their OOC games against the MEAC/PL/NEC etc. since those are local.

MacThor
November 15th, 2016, 11:33 PM
New comittee rankings...so why not a new bracket? I think if SHSU wins they'll jump up a spot or two. UND and SDSU could go either way, that bye could come back to haunt UND but I'm not sure how much SDSU beating a 5-6 UNI team would change things. Illinois State would be the last team out in this scenario, Montana the last team in.

Autobids: EWU, Charleston Southern, JMU, SDSU, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, San Diego, The Citadel, SHSU

At Large: NDSU,Chattanooga, Richmond, UND, UCA, YSU, Cal Poly, Villanova, Samford, Wofford, Maine, WIU, Illinois State, Weber State

You've got Illinois State on your bubble and as an at-large. I think you meant Montana since they're in your bracket.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2016, 11:37 PM
You've got Illinois State on your bubble and as an at-large. I think you meant Montana since they're in your bracket.

Yeah, it was a last second swap. Fixed it.

dudeitsaid
November 15th, 2016, 11:56 PM

UND is the underdog, and likely will lose next Saturday...or were they taking Bye on on Friday?

elcid96
November 16th, 2016, 01:46 AM
The CAA is not a good conference this year. It is rated below the Big Sky in Sagrin and below the Big Sky and the Big South in Massey. The SoCon is the 2nd rated, behind the MVFC in both. The Citadel has 3 Top 25 wins why are they rated below SHSU who has ZERO Top 25 wins, and plays in a league rated BELOW the Patriot League...

Exactly. This makes absolutely no sense. Does SOS and who you play no longer matter?

elcid96
November 16th, 2016, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=FargoBison;2414452]New comittee rankings...so why not a new bracket? I think if SHSU wins they'll jump up a spot or two. UND and SDSU could go either way, that bye could come back to haunt UND but I'm not sure how much SDSU beating a 5-6 UNI team would change things. Illinois State would be the last team out in this scenario, Montana the last team in.

SHSU could jump a spot or two with a win? What universe is the committee living in? IF SHSU wins, it will be their only top 25 FCS win. This, along with a perfect record, is good for 8th place, not 4th or higher. Both JMU and The Citadel should be ranked higher than SHSU based on their SOS and quality wins. Oh well, let the playoffs begin so we can all stop whining about it.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 16th, 2016, 02:37 AM
Exactly. This makes absolutely no sense. Does SOS and who you play no longer matter?

I could make an argument about margin of victory regarding The Citadel and sound just as silly. Don't get me wrong, SOS is important, but it must be taken into context with all other variables. Nothing - record, SOS, margin of victory - is on an island. Working in JMU's favor, for example, is that their best wins (UNH, Maine, Richmond and Villanova) ALL happened on the road. Those intangibles make a difference when you look at two teams you otherwise struggle to compare with computer data analytics.

To be honest, part of me is really hoping to see The Citadel upset UNC and blow up the top seeding order! Good luck!

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Don't forget, two of Citadel's wins were in OT. It's possible the committee views those as "lesser" wins. In the not too distant past they would be 8-0-2. Not saying it's right, just throwing that out as a possible reasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serpentor
November 16th, 2016, 07:30 AM
SHSU could jump a spot or two with a win? What universe is the committee living in? IF SHSU wins, it will be their only top 25 FCS win. This, along with a perfect record, is good for 8th place, not 4th or higher. Both JMU and The Citadel should be ranked higher than SHSU based on their SOS and quality wins. Oh well, let the playoffs begin so we can all stop whining about it.

Gasp! I know right, in fact, why is SHSU even ranked at all? We should be at the bottom of the FCS, getting beaten by NAIA and Division 3 teams like we deserve. How dare the committee not properly recognize the awe and majesty that is Citadel football!

I demand that the Bearkats step down immediately and forfeit all their wins! An injustice has occurred, I tells ya! AN INJUSTICE!!

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Don't forget, two of Citadel's wins were in OT. It's possible the committee views those as "lesser" wins. In the not too distant past they would be 8-0-2. Not saying it's right, just throwing that out as a possible reasoning.

Agreed. It's pretty clear that they didn't give NDSU a ton of credit for their OT win over EWU as it took them 3 rankings to switch them and I'd assume they're still very close.

Likewise I'm sure JMU and The Citadel are very close as well. Not really sure why JSU is still in that discussion since I'd say JMU and El Cid are interchangeable at #3 and #4 right now. SHSU can prove they belong in that discussion if they whip up on UCA also.

All in all this is a very unique year with 6 very deserving teams. I think most years those teams would be in line for a top 3 seed (last year both ISUr and NDSU were top 3 with 2 losses each) but someone is gonna hafta draw the short straws this year.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2016, 07:40 AM
I demand that the Bearkats step down immediately and forfeit all their wins! An injustice has occurred, I tells ya! AN INJUSTICE!!
Do you command this??? ;)

Serpentor
November 16th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Do you command this??? ;)

Serpentor delegated that one to Cobra Commander, he needed a laugh.

leatherneck177
November 16th, 2016, 09:19 AM
UCA is seeded in the new committee rankings, but you have them playing in the first round? Might be a stupid question but are you projecting or using their rankings for the seeds? You might have already answered that in previous posts, if so, my fault.

superman7515
November 16th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Sagarin and Massey punish the CAA because they play most of their OOC games against the MEAC/PL/NEC etc. since those are local.

Should have never taken Elon and should have let Rhode Island go to the NEC where they belong. xsmhx

#4 James Madison
#12 Richmond
#17 Villanova
#30 New Hampshire
#35 Albany
#44 Maine
#45 Delaware
#48 Stony Brook
#52 William & Mary
#54 Towson
#97 Rhode Island
#98 Elon

Take out the trash and the CAA is only behind the MVFC.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Should have never taken Elon and should have let Rhode Island go to the NEC where they belong. xsmhx

#4 James Madison
#12 Richmond
#17 Villanova
#30 New Hampshire
#35 Albany
#44 Maine
#45 Delaware
#48 Stony Brook
#52 William & Mary
#54 Towson
#97 Rhode Island
#98 Elon

Hard to disagree.

milleniumkat
November 16th, 2016, 10:08 AM

At Large: NDSU,Chattanooga, Richmond, UND, UCA, YSU, Cal Poly, Villanova, Samford, Wofford, Maine, WIU, Weber State, Montana

Maine or Lehigh? lol. I guess the gripes from Bison fans about being in a tough bracket compared to other schools will disappear with that juggernaut of a matchup. lollllllo

milleniumkat
November 16th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Gasp! I know right, in fact, why is SHSU even ranked at all? We should be at the bottom of the FCS, getting beaten by NAIA and Division 3 teams like we deserve. How dare the committee not properly recognize the awe and majesty that is Citadel football!

These same posters have started for months that the UCA game would be the game that decided who shsu is. And now that we are approaching that day, they are already coming up with ways to dismiss a Kat win. lolol. Too funny.

AGS = Crawfish Sports Forum.

"You Can't run with #81!"

milleniumkat
November 16th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Been hearing this same thing for years, and the CAA keeps putting teams into the final 4. If only the computers played the games this would be true.

If they had it their way, the games would be decided by Playstation and Xbox tournaments.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2016, 11:16 AM
UCA is seeded in the new committee rankings, but you have them playing in the first round? Might be a stupid question but are you projecting or using their rankings for the seeds? You might have already answered that in previous posts, if so, my fault.

It is a projection...Obviously have UCA losing to SHSU. Knocking UCA out and SHSU up a spot.

CHIP72
November 16th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Because I'm a Villanova fan, I'm a CAA guy, but IMO The Citadel should be ranked ahead of JMU at this point. One could argue both should be ranked ahead of SHSU and JSU right now.

MacThor
November 16th, 2016, 11:20 AM

#4 James Madison
#12 Richmond
#17 Villanova
#30 New Hampshire
#35 Albany
#44 Maine
#45 Delaware
#48 Stony Brook
#52 William & Mary
#54 Towson
#97 Rhode Island
#98 Elon

Yeah, that too.
Point being that for the past 4 years we've been hearing the CAA is down, then a CAA team (or two) outperforms what Sagarin and Massey predict when they actually get on the field with the other playoff teams.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Because I'm a Villanova fan, I'm a CAA guy, but IMO The Citadel should be ranked ahead of JMU at this point. One could argue both should be ranked ahead of SHSU and JSU right now.

If they beat UNC they should be #1 but if they lose I can't see the committee moving them up even though a case could be made for them to be ranked over a few others.

BEAR
November 16th, 2016, 12:08 PM
How far does Sam fall IF they lose to UCA? Does UCA rise a spot?

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Honest question: Does UCA have the scoring to keep up with SHSU? Or is more of keeping them far under their average with defense and winning it that way? Don't know much about either team.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2016, 12:11 PM

I could see UCA moving up to #6 if that happened.

SHSU would trickier, probably would depend on the margin but with a close lose maybe they stay in.

BEAR
November 16th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Honest question: Does UCA have the scoring to keep up with SHSU? Or is more of keeping them far under their average with defense and winning it that way? Don't know much about either team.

I don't think many teams have the scoring to match SHSU. Let alone a SLC team. But UCA has run the ball 3X as much as they have thrown it. Some games the backups would be in earlier than fans wanted. Some games, like the Nicholls game and the Samford game, UCA would shoot themselves in the foot by dropping multiple TD passes or turning it over. So I don't know if UCA can keep up with SHSU scoring, that's why we hope our defense can bring their numbers down so our offense can at least compete with them.

BisonTru
November 16th, 2016, 12:34 PM

The Bears have by far the best defense in the conference, and easily the best defense SHSU has faced this year. IMO, how this games starts will be huge. If UCA can get the Sammy offense off the field early, and put together some long drives it could be tough for the Bearkats to find some rhythm. Vice versa if Sammy gets to moving early, UCA will be forced to play keep up which won't suit them well.

BEAR
November 16th, 2016, 12:35 PM
The Bears have by far the best defense in the conference, and easily the best defense SHSU has faced this year. IMO, how this games starts will be huge. If UCA can get the Sammy offense off the field early, and put together some long drives it could be tough for the Bearkats to find some rhythm. Vice versa if Sammy gets to moving early, UCA will be forced to play keep up which won't suit them well.

Well said.

BisonTru
November 16th, 2016, 12:36 PM

I can't see you guys jumping The Citadel considering you both have opposite results against common opponent Samford. You should slide up one spot tho, as Sammy will most definitely fall below you guys.

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I don't think many teams have the scoring to match SHSU. Let alone a SLC team. But UCA has run the ball 3X as much as they have thrown it. Some games the backups would be in earlier than fans wanted. Some games, like the Nicholls game and the Samford game, UCA would shoot themselves in the foot by dropping multiple TD passes or turning it over. So I don't know if UCA can keep up with SHSU scoring, that's why we hope our defense can bring their numbers down so our offense can at least compete with them.

Thanks. Are the UCA defensive backs good enough to hang with them?

BEAR
November 16th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Thanks. Are the UCA defensive backs good enough to hang with them?

CONWAY, Ark. _ University of Central Arkansas cornerback Tyler Williams was named the Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week on Monday after UCA's 31-24 victory over the Nicholls Colonels on Saturday at First Security Field at Estes Stadium.
Williams, a 6-foot-1, 194-pound senior from Norcross, Ga., had four tackles, broke up five passes and intercepted two passes in UCA's eighth consecutive victory.

Junior rover George Odum was named the Defensive Player of the Week, while junior wide receiver/punt returner Tremon Smith earned Special Teams Player of the Week honors. Odum was also named the STATS National Defensive Player of the Week.

CB Tremon Smith was also pre-season All American.

I think we have 3 DB/CBs that can hang and several up field players that can cover too. But Sam has a ton of talent. So we'll see.

What I like to see is the fact that the players with the most tackles are doing it at the first level, on the line, then the second level then finally the DBS and CBs.

Serpentor
November 16th, 2016, 01:09 PM
These same posters have started for months that the UCA game would be the game that decided who shsu is. And now that we are approaching that day, they are already coming up with ways to dismiss a Kat win. lolol. Too funny.

Isn't it amazing how quickly #ButtNicholls became "Hey, beating Nicholls is a quality win!" for the Bears?

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Has anybody ever researched whether wins over top 25 teams have any correlation to playoff success?

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2016, 03:34 PM
CB Tremon Smith was also pre-season All American.

I think we have 3 DB/CBs that can hang and several up field players that can cover too. But Sam has a ton of talent. So we'll see.

What I like to see is the fact that the players with the most tackles are doing it at the first level, on the line, then the second level then finally the DBS and CBs.

This has the makings of a great game.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Speaking of which, the CAA should schedule even more games with MEAC and Big South schools.

A&T and Elon will keep playing and NSU/Hampton will keep playing the VA CAA schools. But we should see SCSU and NCCU in more games.

Gangtackle11
November 16th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Speaking of which, the CAA should schedule even more games with MEAC and Big South schools.

A&T and Elon will keep playing and NSU/Hampton will keep playing the VA CAA schools. But we should see SCSU and NCCU in more games.

Don't forget the Route 1 Rivalry Delaware & Delaware State.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Maine or Lehigh? lol. I guess the gripes from Bison fans about being in a tough bracket compared to other schools will disappear with that juggernaut of a matchup. lollllllo

If that's the matchup then I'll roll with it. Coen has been there before and this is a good LU team that's drama free. They didn't get run in '11. It was a game until the failed missed fg attempt late in the 3rd quarter.

Maine is no joke either. They're a physically team.

I can't see either getting shipped to Fargo when it's all said and done. South, not west....

milleniumkat
November 16th, 2016, 04:10 PM
If that's the matchup then I'll roll with it. Coen has been there before and this is a good LU team that's drama free. They didn't get run in '11. It was a game until the failed missed fg attempt late in the 3rd quarter.

Maine is no joke either. They're a physically team.

I can't see either getting shipped to Fargo when it's all said and done. South, not west....

Preaching to the choir.

BEAR
November 16th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Much respect to Keeler for saying this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxUhLFMUsAAjGH9.jpg

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2016, 04:24 PM

Sandbagging. xlolx

Schism55
November 16th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Sandbagging. xlolx
Lol you sum'bitch

UNIFanSince1983
November 16th, 2016, 04:33 PM

Look at the rest of the bracket. You tell me if you like where SHSU sits in that one compared to if they were the 3 seed where JSU is?

RootinFerDukes
November 16th, 2016, 06:49 PM
8-0 in both the ovc and slc is better than 8-0 in the CAA and socon? Really?
JSU has played one "maybe" playoff team in ccu and shsu would've played one assuming they beat UCA. JMU and the citadel are in better conferences and won against 3 playoff teams each.

There's really nothing to argue about. It couldn't be any more crystal clear.

JSUSoutherner
November 16th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Which side is the "easy side" this year? It's the side the Bison aren't on, right? xlolx

Sammy94
November 16th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Which side is the "easy side" this year? It's the side the Bison aren't on, right? xlolx

Whatever side Sam is on, we always play cupcakes

FargoBison
November 16th, 2016, 07:17 PM
New Bison Media Zone Bracket...
https://i0.wp.com/www.bisonmediazone.com/files/2016/11/2016-Bracketology-10.0.png?resize=768%2C944&ssl=1

70MilesFromCanada
November 16th, 2016, 07:26 PM

Hmmm. All four BS teams in the lower bracket. Should we start screaming like the MVFC children have done in the past?

Looks like a pod to me.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Hmmm. All four BS teams in the lower bracket. Should we start screaming like the MVFC children have done in the past?

Looks like a pod to me.

Dom's bracket is actually illegal under the new rules, can't group all the teams from one conference together.

70MilesFromCanada
November 16th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Dom's bracket is actually illegal under the new rules, can't group all the teams from one conference together.

Does Dom know the rules? Or is it always easy for him since NDSU is usually a top 4 seed?

FargoBison
November 16th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Does Dom know the rules? Or is it always easy for him since NDSU is usually a top 4 seed?

Well the company he works for did some extensive reporting on the new rules...he should know them.

ngineer
November 16th, 2016, 09:45 PM

Hey, what happened to the shades??

Katfan
November 17th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Hey, what happened to the shades??
It had to be a night game.

BEAR
November 17th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I just love how that bracket has UCA playing on the road at Chatt. Who the freak says UCA is going to lose to SHSU anyway. They haven't even played and we are subjected to piss-ant status. That's alright. I don't think the Bears are going to Huntsville to lose. I guess Sammy is riding the respect they earned over the past few seasons...kinda like the Bison huh? xthumbsupxxlolx (Sounds like I'm saying what Sammy fans are... ) xrolleyesx

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2016, 08:49 AM
If anyone thinks it's wrong for NDSU to get the #1 seed (or #2 seed for that matter) without winning the conference autobid I'd ask you this. Would NDSU be more deserving of the top seed if they had lost to Iowa but beat SDSU (meaning they'd have the outright conference title firmly within their grasp right now)?

If you say yes then I guess any FCS teams should just play backups when they play FBS teams because it won't hurt you if you lose and it's more important to get FCS wins than FBS wins anyway.

Sammy94
November 17th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I just love how that bracket has UCA playing on the road at Chatt. Who the freak says UCA is going to lose to SHSU anyway. They haven't even played and we are subjected to piss-ant status. That's alright. I don't think the Bears are going to Huntsville to lose. I guess Sammy is riding the respect they earned over the past few seasons...kinda like the Bison huh? xthumbsupxxlolx (Sounds like I'm saying what Sammy fans are... ) xrolleyesx

xhurrayx Me, me, me, I do.

Daytripper
November 17th, 2016, 08:55 AM
If anyone thinks it's wrong for NDSU to get the #1 seed (or #2 seed for that matter) without winning the conference autobid I'd ask you this. Would NDSU be more deserving of the top seed if they had lost to Iowa but beat SDSU (meaning they'd have the outright conference title firmly within their grasp right now)?

If you say yes then I guess any FCS teams should just play backups when they play FBS teams because it won't hurt you if you lose and it's more important to get FCS wins than FBS wins anyway.

Good point.

Sammy94
November 17th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Yes, we are FCS. I think only FCS games should matter. FBS games are money games, D2 games are schedule fillers. Winning against FBS teams shows everyone you are a good team, gets you a check, and makes us all in the FCS world have something to brag about and be proud of. Do I think NDSU could beat Michigan now? No. Do I think Iowa beats NDSU 8 out of 10 games? Yes. The beauty of it all is its one game and as this forum is titled Any Given Sat anything can happen but let me judge you as a whole against equal teams, not one game.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Yes, we are FCS. I think only FCS games should matter. FBS games are money games, D2 games are schedule fillers. Winning against FBS teams shows everyone you are a good team, gets you a check, and makes us all in the FCS world have something to brag about and be proud of. Do I think NDSU could beat Michigan now? No. Do I think Iowa beats NDSU 8 out of 10 games? Yes. The beauty of it all is its one game and as this forum is titled Any Given Sat anything can happen but let me judge you as a whole against equal teams, not one game.
If you're judging teams as a whole instead of by one game why does a single FCS loss matter so much when a team has put up an FBS win and 6(!) wins against ranked FCS teams? The presumption that a team that doesn't win the autobid shouldn't deserve a top seed is that "well, if someone else in your own conference is better you can't be one of the best teams in the nation" so go ahead and judge NDSU and SDSU as a whole and see which one looks better.

As far as FBS games (win or loss) not mattering at all, well I couldn't disagree more with that but it's not likely there's any changing your mind anyway so I'll let it be.

BEAR
November 17th, 2016, 09:22 AM
xhurrayx Me, me, me, I do.

I understand from Sammy fans...completely expected. But from the national people who look at UCA..c'mon. 15-2 in two years in the conference. Only one team better...xthumbsupx

Jacks02
November 17th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I'd also point out that NDSU led SDSU for 59 minutes and 59 seconds of that game, so its not like it was a blowout or anything.

I have no problem with either EWU or NDSU as the #1 seed, I think both have resumes worthy of the position.

Daytripper
November 17th, 2016, 09:50 AM
I understand from Sammy fans...completely expected. But from the national people who look at UCA..c'mon. 15-2 in two years in the conference. Only one team better...xthumbsupx

You have currently replaced McNeese as part of the elite in the conference. I truly hope that McNeese gets back to where they have been in the past and a couple of others return to prominence (SELA, SFA), some old ones build on recent success (Nicholls) and some new ones keep improving (HBU, Abilene Christian).

TheEagleSHSU
November 17th, 2016, 09:57 AM

Both SHSU and UCA are 15-2 over the last 2 years, However if you go back even further SHSU has only lost lke 7 conference games since 2011, UCA can't say the same. The reason UCA is not getting hyped is because they are playing SHSU at the end of the year. UCA might have a good defense, but can it stop a GREAT offense breaking long standing records? over 4 quarters I don't think so...could be wrong, but probably not.

citdog
November 17th, 2016, 10:16 AM
It had to be a night game.

Coach Keeler and I had a nice laugh off the air on FCS NATION when I used this as the intro to his interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

BEAR
November 17th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Both SHSU and UCA are 15-2 over the last 2 years, However if you go back even further SHSU has only lost lke 7 conference games since 2011, UCA can't say the same. The reason UCA is not getting hyped is because they are playing SHSU at the end of the year. UCA might have a good defense, but can it stop a GREAT offense breaking long standing records? over 4 quarters I don't think so...could be wrong, but probably not.

Oh I misread your record. I thought you lost ONE last year and none this year. Oh well. Yeah, I get it. UCA won the conference in 2008, 2012, and is looking at it this year, 2016. Injuries have been our achilles heal...

TheEagleSHSU
November 17th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Oh I misread your record. I thought you lost ONE last year and none this year. Oh well. Yeah, I get it. UCA won the conference in 2008, 2012, and is looking at it this year, 2016. Injuries have been our achilles heal...

No doubt since coming into the SLC that UCA has competitive every year for the most part. If McNeese, SFA, and SELA can get back to being good and maybe get HBU coming up with SHSU and UCA staying good then our conference can turn away from being a laughing stock.

superman7515
November 17th, 2016, 10:27 AM

That Lehigh/Richmond game in the quarterfinals is going to be huuuuuuge.

BEAR
November 17th, 2016, 10:28 AM
No doubt since coming into the SLC that UCA has competitive every year for the most part. If McNeese, SFA, and SELA can get back to being good and maybe get HBU coming up with SHSU and UCA staying good then our conference can turn away from being a laughing stock.

What's killing the SLC is these transfer QBs that dominate for two years and make mediocre teams look good. SELA had Bennett...the list goes on and on... UCA has had a couple of SEC transfer QBs but they pretty much made us slightly above average. Our real success came with Nathan Brown, Wynrick Smothers, and this year Hayden Hildebrand ..all straight out of high school. But that's just one opinion or view of it.

Katfan
November 17th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I think if you would have been ranked higher than us earlier, then the bracket pick would be reversed. I don't think it's anymore than that.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2016, 10:35 AM
New bracket from nobowls.com

http://nobowls.com/images/final-odds.png

Sammy94
November 17th, 2016, 10:35 AM
If you're judging teams as a whole instead of by one game why does a single FCS loss matter so much when a team has put up an FBS win and 6(!) wins against ranked FCS teams? The presumption that a team that doesn't win the autobid shouldn't deserve a top seed is that "well, if someone else in your own conference is better you can't be one of the best teams in the nation" so go ahead and judge NDSU and SDSU as a whole and see which one looks better.

As far as FBS games (win or loss) not mattering at all, well I couldn't disagree more with that but it's not likely there's any changing your mind anyway so I'll let it be.

I was questioning if there had been a number 1 seed that was not a conference champion not if NDSU should be seeded high or over SDSU. Do I think NDSU is a better team than SDSU? yes. Did SDSU beat them? yes. Do I think EWU is a better team than NDSU? yes. Did NDSU beat them? yes. Do I think NDSU should be a top 3 seed absolutely.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I'd have a hard time seeing them jump UCA over The Citadel if the Bears beat SHSU. That Samford loss will look bad considering The Citadel beat them. It's probably tough for him to bracket it using his UCA/SHSU winner and loser here approach but I think the highest UCA can get is #6 unless they obliterate Sammy.

BEAR
November 17th, 2016, 10:39 AM

That makes more sense.

citdog
November 17th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Wofford will outbid Ladson Southern and that game will be in Spartanburg and not Ladson.

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2016, 11:06 AM

That would suck for NDSU. We would win that game in the 1st half and be well rested for a second shot at the Bison.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2016, 11:07 AM
That would suck for NDSU. We would win that game in the 1st half and be well rested for a second shot at the Bison.

Yeah, nothing like the committee giving the team that plays the #1 seed a bye as well setting up a sure conference rematch.

mango433
November 17th, 2016, 11:09 AM

Perfect! SDSU at Montana? That's always worked out for the Jacks...

FargoBison
November 17th, 2016, 11:15 AM
NDSU likely vs UNI...SDSU going to Montana....SHSU seeded 5th...That bracket would produce no shortage of whining so it is probably likely to happen.

Preferred Walk-On
November 17th, 2016, 11:16 AM

What? That is the toughest bracket of all...they would have to eventually get by SHSU!

milleniumkat
November 17th, 2016, 11:17 AM
What? That is the toughest bracket of all...they would have to eventually get by SHSU!

My Mistake!! You caught me...you caught "The Tater"

"There is no MK, only Zuul!"

TheEagleSHSU
November 17th, 2016, 11:31 AM
My Mistake!! You caught me...you caught "The Tater"

You're not drunk enough, you're reading comprehension sucks right now!

milleniumkat
November 17th, 2016, 11:33 AM
You're not drunk enough, you're reading comprehension sucks right now!

I'm eating a sarcasm sandwich.

Lehigh'98
November 17th, 2016, 11:48 AM

I think a cal poly SD rematch is almost guaranteed in the first round if CP gets in.

steelers#58
November 17th, 2016, 11:48 AM

Teams look right, the matchups look like they lead to a lot of conference rematches. I know the committee is trying to keep it somewhat regionalized, but I thought they were also trying to get away from loading one side of the bracket with the teams from the same conference.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Yeah, nothing like the committee giving the team that plays the #1 seed a bye as well setting up a sure conference rematch.
Meh... could be worse. UNI and San Diego would probably be two of the bottom 5 teams in the field if they were seeded through to #24. I'm more bracing for the onslaught from Bison fans everywhere if neither UND and SDSU get seeded and, as two of the top unseeded teams, are matched up and fed into #1 seed NDSU.

BisonTru
November 17th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Teams look right, the matchups look like they lead to a lot of conference rematches. I know the committee is trying to keep it somewhat regionalized, but I thought they were also trying to get away from loading one side of the bracket with the teams from the same conference.

As long as a conference with 4+ participants aren't all on the same side they are alright. There will be lots of potential conference rematches in the second round, which is a product of regionalization.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Some points of interest in this article where Craig Haley at STATS interviewed the playoff selection committee chair after the latest round of top 10 rankings: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20161117104721004269704

They're at least giving lip service to de-regionalizing the early rounds of the playoffs (let's see if it actually happens/makes a difference):

"Hopefully what [the new rule about the placement of teams with 3 or more conference-mates] means," Brian Hutchinson, chair of the selection committee, said Wednesday, "is that it's more exciting to our fans that they're not watching the same game they've already seen before, at least something similar to what they've seen before, that they're going to see really good quality opponents, and playing in different places than they've played. If that's what that means and it generates a little bit more excitement about the championship, then I think that's probably a very, very good thing."

The margin between #1 and #6 in their top 10 is "razor thin":

Hutchinson says the margin between the top six ranked teams has been "razor-thin" and is part of the reason that, as all six have continued to win games, Sam Houston State dropped from No. 2 to No. 5 in the second ranking, Jacksonville State dropped from No. 1 to No. 3 in the third and final ranking, and North Dakota State rose from No. 4 to No. 1 over the final two rankings.

"It's not that significant if you know how closely ranked they were in terms of just the way our point system works," Hutchinson said.

The only mention of SOS in their criteria comes from the SRS but he does say something about "record against other conferences with auto-qualifiers" mattering:

Hutchinson, who is the Morehead State athletic director, said the biggest factors when evaluating a team for the field are overall record, results against Division I opponents, record against other conferences that have automatic qualifiers, head-to-head results against other potential qualifiers, common opponents' records and the Simple Rating System, which quantifies the strength of a team's schedule.
I wonder if that means they're not weighting OOC games against MEAC, SWAC, and Ivy League opponents the same as against other leagues?

Also, I kind of read that as saying the only thing they use the SRS for is to determine SOS. Maybe Haley just worded it funny but that's kind of an odd statement I thought if it's taken at face value.

RootinFerDukes
November 17th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I promise you, it'll still be regionalized heavily. They simply don't want to pay for more flights. They want to save money more than anything.

CID1990
November 17th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I promise you, it'll still be regionalized heavily. They simply don't want to pay for more flights. They want to save money more than anything.

You are correct. And FCS just doesnt have that much of a constituency in the grand scheme of things.

Rjones61
November 17th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I think it is criminal to have Cal Poly in playoffs and leave out Weber. Weber is finishing higher in the Big Sky AND beat them in head to head. Yet, most projections put Weber out of playoffs.

Gangtackle11
November 17th, 2016, 12:49 PM

Totally agree & here is a bracket based on mileage:

Assumptions:
SDSU beats UNI
Maine beats UNH
Cal Poly beats UNC
SHSU beats UCA

1. NDSU vs. Cal Poly/San Diego (312 miles)
8. SDSU vs. UND/Western Illinois (738 miles)

5. SHSU vs. UCA/Chattanooga (499 miles)
4. JMU vs. Samford/Maine (1417 miles)

3. Jacksonville St. vs. Lehigh/YSU (344 miles)
6. The Citadel vs. Charleston So./Wofford (203 miles)

7. Richmond vs. Villanova/St.Francis, PA. (234 miles)
2. EWU vs. Montana/Weber State (490 miles)

1st round:
4 bus trips
4 air flights

* only OOC rematch is CP/SD
** no conference rematches in 1st round

F'N Hawks
November 17th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I think it is criminal to have Cal Poly in playoffs and leave out Weber. Weber is finishing higher in the Big Sky AND beat them in head to head. Yet, most projections put Weber out of playoffs.

Problem with that is Weber's only win over a team with a winning record is Poly. Poly has beaten SDSU, Montana, & San Diego. Plus, they played the toughest schedule in the country.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Couple things. First, I don't think you can put much credence into the Big Sky standings since the schedules are so unbalanced. Weber St avoided both EWU and Montana whereas Cal Poly played them both picking up a win against Montana. Second, Cal Poly won at SDSU and Weber St lost at South Dakota out of conference. I think Weber St has an argument over Cal Poly but Cal Poly has one also.

Lehigh'98
November 17th, 2016, 01:17 PM

Assumptions:
SDSU beats UNI
Maine beats UNH
Cal Poly beats UNC
SHSU beats UCA

1st round:
4 bus trips
4 air flights

** no conference rematches in 1st round This is a very solid guess here, closest to what will actually happen imo. Nova/Lehigh and StF/YSU is much more likely than what you have though. They simply don't care about OOC rematches.

RootinFerDukes
November 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM
This is a very solid guess here, closest to what will actually happen imo. Nova/Lehigh and StF/YSU is much more likely than what you have though. They simply don't care about OOC rematches.

Say that to JMU fans who got Liberty in the first round in 2014 while Richmond got Morgan State. The driving distance is 14 miles (one way) closer for Liberty to Harrisonburg compared to Richmond. UR and LU played each other in OOC that year and was the reason why they avoided the rematch. That and the bus savings that 28 miles round trip would save them.

Alternatively, Morgan State is 16 miles closer to Richmond than Harrisonburg. Fairly negligible differences with the OOC matchup between the two schools being why they avoided the rematch.

Gangtackle11
November 17th, 2016, 01:53 PM
This is a very solid guess here, closest to what will actually happen imo. Nova/Lehigh and StF/YSU is much more likely than what you have though. They simply don't care about OOC rematches.

I think both fan bases would welcome the rematch. The 1st game the Villanova fans think they slept walk through it after playing Pitt tough the week before & where Lehigh fans think they can beat Villanova as they haven't lost since playing Ivy & PL opponents.

Would settle it for both sides one way or another & its closer.

milleniumkat
November 17th, 2016, 02:17 PM

This right here! $$$ Is what makes his all work. The NCAA ain't printing money....not to be throwing away on FCS football anyway.

milleniumkat
November 17th, 2016, 02:17 PM

Assumptions:
SDSU beats UNI
Maine beats UNH
Cal Poly beats UNC
SHSU beats UCA

1st round:
4 bus trips
4 air flights

I'd be willing to stake my reputation on this being close if not 100% accurate.

milleniumkat
November 17th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Hey Rjones!!! Member me from the EWU board from 2014? I'm the guy who had to post an Avatar of Roos Field on his KFans account for making a fool hearted wager.

Daytripper
November 17th, 2016, 02:23 PM

Assumptions:
SDSU beats UNI
Maine beats UNH
Cal Poly beats UNC
SHSU beats UCA

1st round:
4 bus trips
4 air flights

Unfortunately this is likely very close. I wouldn't have so much a problem of playing UCA in round two if we hadn't just played them two weeks prior. I hope the committee will consider this and work something else into that bracket.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately this is likely very close. I wouldn't have so much a problem of playing UCA in round two if we hadn't just played them two weeks prior. I hope the committee will consider this and work something else into that bracket.
It helps that UCA is actually slightly outside the 400 mile distance from SHSU for mandatory bus travel. I don't think most people doing projected brackets realize that. So I'm pretty sure they're chartering a flight for UCA whether they sent them to SHSU or EWU. I think in the bracket Gangtackle has it's more likely UCA and UTC play to go to Jacksonville St (which is bus distance for UTC) and SHSU gets Lehigh/YSU or whoever is leftover after they've podded as many bus trips as possible.

bostonspider
November 17th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately this is likely very close. I wouldn't have so much a problem of playing UCA in round two if we hadn't just played them two weeks prior. I hope the committee will consider this and work something else into that bracket. That happened to Richmond last year. Beat W&M in the final regular season game, and then two weeks later, after W&M beat Duquesne, UR beat W&M again. I think UNH and Maine had a similar match up a couple of years ago.

LUHawker
November 17th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I think both fan bases would welcome the rematch. The 1st game the Villanova fans think they slept walk through it after playing Pitt tough the week before & where Lehigh fans think they can beat Villanova as they haven't lost since playing Ivy & PL opponents.

Would settle it for both sides one way or another & its closer.

I'd like the rematch, but in the second round and then at Goodman Stadium. Sounds like both sides are likely to see very different teams than in week 2.

MacThor
November 17th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Ugh. Last 4 in is going to be a nightmare this year.

dudeitsaid
November 17th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I'd be willing to stake my reputation on this being close if not 100% accurate.

Can you stake something with a little more value? :p

Daytripper
November 17th, 2016, 04:17 PM
It helps that UCA is actually slightly outside the 400 mile distance from SHSU for mandatory bus travel. I don't think most people doing projected brackets realize that. So I'm pretty sure they're chartering a flight for UCA whether they sent them to SHSU or EWU. I think in the bracket Gangtackle has it's more likely UCA and UTC play to go to Jacksonville St (which is bus distance for UTC) and SHSU gets Lehigh/YSU or whoever is leftover after they've podded as many bus trips as possible.

This makes me feel better.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3UcjBJUov1gCRGbS/giphy.gif

Rjones61
November 17th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Hey Rjones!!! Member me from the EWU board from 2014? I'm the guy who had to post an Avatar of Roos Field on his KFans account for making a fool hearted wager.

Hey, I remember! Would you like to make another wager this year, if we have another Kat vs Eagle showdown?

milleniumkat
November 17th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Hey, I remember! Would you like to make another wager this year, if we have another Kat vs Eagle showdown?

Yessir!!! Please sir!!! I need some fun, reasonable lads to wager with around this town!!

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Can you stake something with a little more value? :p
oh snap!

milleniumkat
November 17th, 2016, 07:31 PM

I give you mad props for being able to stomach and sort out all this madness.

kalm
November 17th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Couple things. First, I don't think you can put much credence into the Big Sky standings since the schedules are so unbalanced. Weber St avoided both EWU and Montana whereas Cal Poly played them both picking up a win against Montana. Second, Cal Poly won at SDSU and Weber St lost at South Dakota out of conference. I think Weber St has an argument over Cal Poly but Cal Poly has one also.

Yep. Plus, Poly lost by one score on the road at Weber and lost in OT to Nevada whereas Weber got blown out by USU.

ngineer
November 17th, 2016, 10:27 PM

Hmm. Albany,now. They've been up and down this year. Hard to figure out. But if we get by the Danes, a trip to Richmond would be great. Site of one of Lehigh's great come-from-behind playoff victories back in 1998 on a game ending FG.

ngineer
November 17th, 2016, 10:29 PM
I'd like the rematch, but in the second round and then at Goodman Stadium. Sounds like both sides are likely to see very different teams than in week 2.

Yes, a second round match with Villanova at Goodman would be great and should have very good crowd.

Gangtackle11
November 17th, 2016, 11:02 PM

No way Lehigh is getting a bye to set up a 2nd round matchup @ Goodman. The FCS selection committee doesn't value the 9 game win streak over Ivy & PL opponents to hand Lehigh a bye.

LUHawker
November 17th, 2016, 11:17 PM
No way Lehigh is getting a bye to set up a 2nd round matchup @ Goodman. The FCS selection committee doesn't value the 9 game win streak over Ivy & PL opponents to hand Lehigh a bye.

Who said anything about a bye? I just want the rematch in round 2, not round 1.

UNHWildcat18
November 18th, 2016, 01:07 AM

Assumptions:
SDSU beats UNI
Maine beats UNH
Cal Poly beats UNC
SHSU beats UCA

1st round:
4 bus trips
4 air flights

The only thing about this bracket is that there is a potential of SIX second round conference rematches, which would suck.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 18th, 2016, 04:02 AM
Just for fun, here's a bracket with reverse assumptions from gangtackle's:
UNI beats SDSU
UNH beats Maine
UNC beats Cal Poly
UCA beats SHSU

1. NDSU UND/Montana (1,005 mi)
8. Richmond Villanova/Chattanooga (734 mi)

5. The Citadel UNH/Lehigh (356 mi)
4. JMU St. Francis/YSU (141 mi)

3. JSU Charleston Southern/Wofford (203 mi)
6. UCA Samford/WIU (655 mi)

7. SHSU Illinois St./UNI (278 mi)
2. EWU San Diego/SDSU (1,769 mi)

4 flights
4 buses

* No Round 1 rematches, in or out of conference.
* Weber St. and Cal Poly protest 5 MVFC teams.
* Interesting Round 1 match between two conference 6-5 teams that didn't play each other this year.
* All four CAA teams get the typical "MVFC" treatment on one side of the bracket.
* I believe there are more potential rematches in the quarterfinals and/or semifinals than in Round 2.

I am rooting for this bracket personally, which means it is likely to be waaaaaay off.

Gangtackle11
November 18th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Who said anything about a bye? I just want the rematch in round 2, not round 1.

Maybe I'm missing something, but round 1 matchups feed into the 8 seeded teams for round 2 matchups. Might just be a matter of semantics, but the only way it's a round 2 matchup @ Goodman is if Lehigh has a bye & Villanova wins the opening round. No?

Gangtackle11
November 18th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Changing assumptions to favorites winning.

Assumptions:
UNI beats SDSU
UNH beats Maine
Cal Poly beats UNC
SHSU beats UCA - currently pick'em took home team.

1. NDSU vs. Cal Poly/San Diego (312 miles).
8. UND vs. Montana/SDSU (1048 miles)

5. SHSU vs. Samford/Western Illinois (647 miles)
4. JMU vs. Lehigh/Albany (205 miles)

3. Jacksonville St. vs. UCA/Chattanooga (499 miles)

7. Richmond vs. YSU/St.Francis PA. (129 miles)
2. EWU vs. UNI/Villanova (1041miles)

1st round:
4 bus trips
4 air flights

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but round 1 matchups feed into the 8 seeded teams for round 2 matchups. Might just be a matter of semantics, but the only way it's a round 2 matchup @ Goodman is if Lehigh has a bye & Villanova wins the opening round. No?

How about a 3rd round game? That's possible...lol

FargoBison
November 18th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Thought I would spend a few minutes and breakdown the potential at-large situation....

At-Large Breakdown:
Locks(7):
NDSU/SDSU
Chattanooga
Richmond
UND/EWU
UCA/SHSU
YSU
Villanova

In with a win(4):
Wofford- With a win they are 8-3 with a win over Chattanooga...they are in.
Samford- With a win they are 8-3 with wins over Wofford and UCA...Firmly in.
Winner of Maine/UNH- CAA playin game.
Cal Poly- Great schedule, wins against Montana and SDSU...They are in if they beat UNC.

Likely in with a win(1):
Montana- The Griz don’t have a great resume but 7 DI wins and their stadium($$$) will probably be enough to get them in.

Potential Bid Stealer:
UT Martin- Can Clinch OVC autobid by beating JSU, would make the OVC a two bid league.

Fighting for two spots:
That brings me down to the last two spots. UNI, WIU, Albany, Weber State and ISUR. Resumes….

UNI(5-5)
Quality wins: Iowa State. WIU
Bad Losses: @USD?
-No real horrible loss and a win over SDSU would give them a solid resume...Very strong non-conference schedule

WIU(6-4)
Quality wins: NIU
Bad losses: None
-WIU did lose to both UNI and ISUR...the necks have lost 3 of their last 4 games

ISUR(6-5)
Quality wins: Northwestern, SDSU and WIU
Bad losses: EIU, ISUB and @USD?
-That EIU loss is a headscratcher but two really nice wins over NU and SDSU.

Albany(6-4)
Quality wins: Buffalo and UNH?
Bad losses: Delaware
-The Danes also beat NEC champ St. Francis...If UNH loses to Maine their resume is rather lacking.

Weber State(6-4)
Quality wins: Cal Poly
Bad losses: @USD
-Almost all of these teams had issues with USD so I’m not sure how much that hurts them. Cal Poly is a nice win with Weber but outside of that there isn’t much there. Weber missed playing Montana and EWU in conference play.

I think UNI would have the strongest resumes if both at 6-5. ISUR needs some help with their bad losses. That leaves the last spot and it could really go anyway. I put Weber in my bracket but I could see Albany getting selected with their FBS win and potentially WIU as well who has no bad losses and an FBS win.

Bubble Fringe: UNC, NCAT, Fordham
-If chaos ensues maybe one of these three gets another look but they need a ton of help

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2016, 09:55 AM
ISUR(6-5)
Bad losses: EIU and @USD?

ISUr has a bad loss to ISUb too. I think they're out unless UNI and WIU both lose. If last year is any indication the committee will only take 6-5 teams with all "good losses". UNI fits that bill (although USD is questionable like you point out) but ISUr certainly doesn't.

Doc QB
November 18th, 2016, 09:56 AM

Agree. Talk of us getting a first round bye is one of the examples of why non-PL posters find us PL fans annoying. Maybe one day we earn it, have better success against improved SOS, and are ranked above other traditional powers all year. This isn't that year.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2016, 10:00 AM
ISUr has a bad loss to ISUb too. I think they're out unless UNI and WIU both lose. If last year is any indication the committee will only take 6-5 teams with all "good losses". UNI fits that bill (although USD is questionable like you point out) but ISUr certainly doesn't.

Not sure how I missed that but yeah, with the committee's infatuation with losses that will probably doom them.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Just for fun, here's a bracket with reverse assumptions from gangtackle's:
UNI beats SDSU
UNH beats Maine
UNC beats Cal Poly
UCA beats SHSU

1. NDSU UND/Montana (1,005 mi)
8. Richmond Villanova/Chattanooga (734 mi)

5. The Citadel UNH/Lehigh (356 mi)
4. JMU St. Francis/YSU (141 mi)

3. JSU Charleston Southern/Wofford (203 mi)
6. UCA Samford/WIU (655 mi)

7. SHSU Illinois St./UNI (278 mi)
2. EWU San Diego/SDSU (1,769 mi)

4 flights
4 buses

* No Round 1 rematches, in or out of conference.
* Weber St. and Cal Poly protest 5 MVFC teams.
* Interesting Round 1 match between two conference 6-5 teams that didn't play each other this year.
* All four CAA teams get the typical "MVFC" treatment on one side of the bracket.
* I believe there are more potential rematches in the quarterfinals and/or semifinals than in Round 2.

I am rooting for this bracket personally, which means it is likely to be waaaaaay off.

Only two problems I see is the four CAA teams on one side, they have the new rule to separate them now. The second is if there was one thing I had to bet my entire life's earnings on, it's that if SDSU and UND are unseeded they will play each other in the first round. No way they pay for two trips over 1,000 miles when two of the teams are a bus trip away and haven't played this year. Then they get sent to Fargo.

BEAR
November 18th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Southeastern Louisiana won last night giving them a 7-4 overall record. Not that it plays a part in the playoff discussion but they do have 7 wins which is good considering the struggles they had this season.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Only two problems I see is the four CAA teams on one side, they have the new rule to separate them now. The second is if there was one thing I had to bet my entire life's earnings on, it's that if SDSU and UND are unseeded they will play each other in the first round. No way they pay for two trips over 1,000 miles when two of the teams are a bus trip away and haven't played this year. Then they get sent to Fargo.

On the other hand, I don't think we'd have to worry about playing any games if both SDSU and UND are unseeded, matched up with each other in the 1st round, and fed into #1 seed NDSU along with SHSU (who just lost to UCA) being seeded because the internet would blow up causing mass hysteria worldwide and a several month shutdown, if not the complete end, of civilization as we know it.

flyrod
November 18th, 2016, 10:38 AM
On the other hand, I don't think we'd have to worry about playing any games if both SDSU and UND are unseeded, matched up with each other in the 1st round, and fed into #1 seed NDSU along with SHSU (who just lost to UCA) being seeded because the internet would blow up causing mass hysteria worldwide and a several month shutdown, if not the complete end, of civilization as we know it.
This
Would be ARMAGEDDON, Is Bruce Willis still in the country? hope he's got his cell phone on.

Redbird007
November 18th, 2016, 10:48 AM

It makes sense for UND and SDSU to play each other first round but they should not have the winner play another MVFC/regional school second round. If that happens then the committee sucks balls.

leatherneck177
November 18th, 2016, 10:52 AM

Somewhat biased, but I believe UNI and WIU control their own destiny tomorrow. I think both are in with wins...those other teams on the bubble don't have profiles that compare favorably to these teams. We all know about UNI's schedule and FBS win. Western with a win has a solid 7-4....with a FBS win, a 5-1 road record, 3-0 OOC and 4-4 MVFC record and a top 30 SOS I believe. Not much wrong with that.

Reality is, IF you lose to ISUb, EIU and/or USD it is going to come back to haunt you at some point. Just my opinion.

Gangtackle11
November 18th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Somewhat biased, but I believe UNI and WIU control their own destiny tomorrow. I think both are in with wins...those other teams on the bubble don't have profiles that compare favorably to these teams.

Don't disagree. Good luck.

Redbird007
November 18th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Not sure how I missed that but yeah, with the committee's infatuation with losses that will probably doom them.

Then that argument throws out the strength of schedule importance. ISU screwed the pooch a couple of times early in the season but they also have significant quality wins, good strength of schedule and finished with big mo'. ISU, after another round of games with some top 24 teams losing, is certainly top 24 in the nation.

Sammy94
November 18th, 2016, 11:04 AM

I got such a laugh from this. I doubt it would be that bad but it might match the hysteria that Bison fans had when the first Committee rankings came out.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I got such a laugh from this. I doubt it would be that bad but it might match the hysteria that Bison fans had when the first Committee rankings came out.
Oh, I think it would. You ain't seen nothing yet xlolx

Sammy94
November 18th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Oh, I think it would. You ain't seen nothing yet xlolx

I just wished my fan base had such pull, we win and we will probably move up only one spot. If we even move at all.

Redbird007
November 18th, 2016, 11:18 AM

I had a good laugh too.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 11:23 AM
It makes sense for UND and SDSU to play each other first round but they should not have the winner play another MVFC/regional school second round. If that happens then the committee sucks balls.
There is zero IF about this. It WILL happen if both SDSU and UND are unseeded. If you don't know that by now you haven't followed the playoffs for very long. It sucks but it is what it is.

You don't know what hysteria is yet xlolx

I just wished my fan base had such pull, we win and we will probably move up only one spot. If we even move at all.
Just wanted you to know you dropped some of your dumb, not sure if you want to pick that up or leave it.

Redbird007
November 18th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Somewhat biased, but I believe UNI and WIU control their own destiny tomorrow. I think both are in with wins...those other teams on the bubble don't have profiles that compare favorably to these teams. We all know about UNI's schedule and FBS win. Western with a win has a solid 7-4....with a FBS win, a 5-1 road record, 3-0 OOC and 4-4 MVFC record and a top 30 SOS I believe. Not much wrong with that.

Reality is, IF you lose to ISUb, EIU and/or USD it is going to come back to haunt you at some point. Just my opinion.

I can live with the argument that UNI and WIU take the cake over ISUr if they both win. There are other teams out there that should not bypass ISUr if either Uni or WIU lose this weekend. UNI or WIU lose than ISUr should be in the tournament based upon what they have accomplished.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Here's an interesting question about teams making it into the playoffs or being seeded....what do you personally want to see happen? Like, who are you rooting for to win and lose, and what are you hoping that the committee does (not necessarily what you think will actually happen).

Personally, I'd like to see WIU and UNI both win their games and both make the playoffs. Then again, I don't want to see SDSU get funneled through Fargo again, and I know that there's a good chance I can't have both (UNI win and SDSU not go to Fargo...at least not in the first 2 rounds).

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Here's an interesting question about teams making it into the playoffs or being seeded....what do you personally want to see happen? Like, who are you rooting for to win and lose, and what are you hoping that the committee does (not necessarily what you think will actually happen).

Personally, I'd like to see WIU and UNI both win their games and both make the playoffs. Then again, I don't want to see SDSU get funneled through Fargo again, and I know that there's a good chance I can't have both (UNI win and SDSU not go to Fargo...at least not in the first 2 rounds).
UNI is actually slightly outside of bus distance to NDSU. So, from a cost perspective, it's not much cheaper to send UNI to Fargo than it is to send Cal Poly to Fargo. UND, SDSU, and USD are the only schools that are bus distance from NDSU (according to the FCS playoffs guidelines).

I also am thinking that if the committee does match up Montana and SDSU together again there's no guarantee that they have to feed that winner to NDSU. True, SDSU is bus distance from NDSU but Montana is likely going to be the only playoff team that's bus distance from EWU. So why not send the winner of Montana/SDSU to EWU? You'd save yourself a flight if Montana wins (and they would definitely be the home team in that first round matchup).

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 11:56 AM

My dream scenario is SDSU sneaks in as the 8 seed, UND as a seed, and ndsu loses to USeD to get knocked out of the 1 seed. So probably rooting for USeD, SDSU, SHSU, and a Richmond loss for that to happen. That way SDSU gets to see some new opponents in the playoffs, and a home game. I wouldn't be too upset about getting sent to UND either if they got a seed but that would likely mean a Montana/SDSU matchup and Missoula has been a house of horrors for the Jacks.

leatherneck177
November 18th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I can live with the argument that UNI and WIU take the cake over ISUr if they both win. There are other teams out there that should not bypass ISUr if either Uni or WIU lose this weekend. UNI or WIU lose than ISUr should be in the tournament based upon what they have accomplished.

I agree, personally I believe ISUr can get in even if UNI and WIU win....they would need some help but it can be done. First step was the Liberty loss last night. But yeah I can absolutely see ISUr stepping in for WIU or UNI in the case either loses.

BisonTru
November 18th, 2016, 12:12 PM

I'm rooting for the Jackrabbits. *just threw up a little* Nothing against UNI, but I'd like to not see SDSU not routed threw Fargo for the 3rd time in 4 years. Although if they win and get the 8 seed and we're the 1 seed. It looks likely to see another rematch.

Redbird 4th & short
November 18th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Some perspective on strength of schedule .. quality wins, quality losses, weak wins, weak losses .. and everywhere in between. This is straight from Massey Ranking, and shows bubble teams game results, sorted by Oppponent Rank with game's margin and result .. all color coded and scaled: green is good, yellow is average, red is bad. This shoud lnake it easier to assess all of this side by side with all other bubble teams.

Not sure how this will display or if you can make larger ??

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23911&stc=1

Using Maine and Weber st as examples: .. very hard to understand, if you believe Massey is reasonable and objective, why Maine and Weber St are considered prohibitive favorites to get at large bids. Weber St has 1 quality win and no quality losses. Maine has no quality wins and no quality losses. Compare these to all theother bubble teams on above table.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23915&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23912&stc=1

catbob
November 18th, 2016, 12:23 PM
What about this very likely Big Sky scenario:

UM beats MSU (boooo)
Weber beats ISU
NAU beats SUU
Poly beats UNC
EWU beats PSU

Conference standings:
1. EWU (10-1, 8-0)
1. UND (9-2, 8-0)
3. Weber (7-4, 6-2)
4. Cal Poly (7-4, 5-3)
5. NAU (6-5, 5-3)
6. UM (7-4, 4-4)

How does the 6th place team in the Big Sky justify making the playoffs, let alone hosting a first round game?

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Some perspective on strength of schedule .. quality wins, quality losses, weak wins, weak losses .. and everywhere in between. This is straight from Massey Ranking, and shows bubble teams game results, sorted by Oppponent Rank with game's margin and result .. all color coded and scaled: green is good, yellow is average, red is bad. This shoud lnake it easier to assess all of this side by side with all other bubble teams.

Using Maine and Weber st as examples: .. very hard to understand, if you believe Massey is reasonable and objective, why Maine and Weber St are considered prohibitive favorites to get at large bids. Weber St has 1 quality win and no quality losses. Maine has no quality wins and no quality losses. Compare these to all theother bubble teams on above table.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23915&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23912&stc=1

I was going to post a "what is this, a chart for ants?" meme but saw that you addressed the size. I have had the best results uploading the image somewhere else, like imgur, and then just linking to it...add an image, "From URL", and uncheck the retrieve remote file and reference locally box. Put the url in the address bar and hit ok.

Gangtackle11
November 18th, 2016, 12:48 PM

What's the definition of quality again?

BisonTru
November 18th, 2016, 12:55 PM
What about this very likely Big Sky scenario:

UM beats MSU (boooo)
Weber beats ISU
NAU beats SUU
Poly beats UNC
EWU beats PSU

Conference standings:
1. EWU (10-1, 8-0)
1. UND (9-2, 8-0)
3. Weber (7-4, 6-2)
4. Cal Poly (7-4, 5-3)
5. NAU (6-5, 5-3)
6. UM (7-4, 4-4)

How does the 6th place team in the Big Sky justify making the playoffs, let alone hosting a first round game?

They'll host for sure if in, but that comes down to fan attendance and revenue and has nothing to do with season performance.

Northern Arizona will only have 5 D1 wins, they're out. Weber St avoided Montana and Eastern Washington. IMO, Cal Poly deserves the third spot from the Big Sky. The fourth is a toss up between WSU and UM, and personally I would lean Montana.

MacThor
November 18th, 2016, 01:25 PM

And that would be a travesty. The #9 and #10 teams playing in the first round, to advance to play the #1 team, all to save money.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2016, 01:27 PM

Why should you? First good win of the season when others (outside of JSU) have a few.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 01:29 PM
And that would be a travesty. The #9 and #10 teams playing in the first round, to advance to play the #1 team, all to save money.

It's happened before to SDSU last year. Number 9 team and sent out to Missoula. It's the reality of our location.

Sammy94
November 18th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Why should you? First good win of the season when others (outside of JSU) have a few.

I don't believe in participation trophies so I don't understand such a thing called good losses. Winning is really all that matters so they are all good.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I don't believe in participation trophies so I don't understand such a thing called good losses. Winning is really all that matters so they are all good.

And to make sure of it, be sure to schedule a pop warner level of competition.

Gangtackle11
November 18th, 2016, 01:38 PM
It's happened before to SDSU last year. Number 9 team and sent out to Missoula. It's the reality of our location.

Yep. It will happen again more times than not. Maybe in the next cataclysmic continental divide the earth will part at the SD/ND border & get you out of the FCS selection committee cross hairs? Till then have fun in Fargo!

Sammy94
November 18th, 2016, 01:41 PM

Winning includes playoffs also so we don't get to schedule those games.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2016, 01:45 PM

Got a feeling it might be different this year if UND, Montana, and SDSU are all unseeded. Three big bidders. Why not take all three bids and shut everyone up a out regionalization, at least for one round.

You have to remember that SDSU didnt bid last year.... right?

MacThor
November 18th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Yes, but that wasn't 9 vs 10 vs 1.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2016, 02:41 PM
I don't believe in good losses either but the committee in the past and so far this year disagrees. I do think there is such a thing as a bad loss but after that all other losses should be classified as "neutral" IMO.

Redbird 4th & short
November 18th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I was going to post a "what is this, a chart for ants?" meme but saw that you addressed the size. I have had the best results uploading the image somewhere else, like imgur, and then just linking to it...add an image, "From URL", and uncheck the retrieve remote file and reference locally box. Put the url in the address bar and hit ok.

until I figure out how to attach and adjust size, you can see this on our Redbird fanboard:

http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9258&p=183840#p183840

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Got a feeling it might be different this year if UND, Montana, and SDSU are all unseeded. Three big bidders. Why not take all three bids and shut everyone up a out regionalization, at least for one round.

Even if we had there's a zero % chance we outbid Montana.

BisonTru
November 18th, 2016, 03:26 PM

The bids aren't looked at till the field is set. Also every additional bus trip saves the tournament north of six figures.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Even if we had there's a zero % chance we outbid Montana.

My point was if you had bid, they may not have sent you out there.

They know the names of the schools bidding. Therefore, they know the potential size of the bid without even opening the envelope, in most cases.

BEAR
November 18th, 2016, 04:26 PM
The latest from Massey Ratings:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23919&stc=1

Looking at Massey UCA has the #1 defense and #2 offense in the SLC. If Sam blows us out that will tell everyone the SLC is WWWWWWAAAAAY down.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2016, 04:29 PM

Yeah, neither Lehigh nor Villanova is getting a bye even if they win their rivalry games against Lafayette and Delaware respectively, so they won't play in the second round. Villanova's loss to JMU last week put the kibosh on that. They could play in a later round if both squads upset some seeded teams.

Sammy94
November 18th, 2016, 04:34 PM

Looking at Massey UCA has the #1 defense and #2 offense in the SLC. If Sam blows us out that will tell everyone the SLC is WWWWWWAAAAAY down.

Just saying Massey is 0-2 this week in the SLC so far.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Thought I would spend a few minutes and breakdown the potential at-large situation....

At-Large Breakdown:
Locks(7):
NDSU/SDSU
Chattanooga
Richmond
UND/EWU
UCA/SHSU
YSU
Villanova

In with a win(4):
Wofford- With a win they are 8-3 with a win over Chattanooga...they are in.
Samford- With a win they are 8-3 with wins over Wofford and UCA...Firmly in.
Winner of Maine/UNH- CAA playin game.
Cal Poly- Great schedule, wins against Montana and SDSU...They are in if they beat UNC.

Likely in with a win(1):
Montana- The Griz don’t have a great resume but 7 DI wins and their stadium($$$) will probably be enough to get them in.

Potential Bid Stealer:
UT Martin- Can Clinch OVC autobid by beating JSU, would make the OVC a two bid league.

Fighting for two spots:
That brings me down to the last two spots. UNI, WIU, Albany, Weber State and ISUR. Resumes….

UNI(5-5)
Quality wins: Iowa State. WIU
Bad Losses: @USD?
-No real horrible loss and a win over SDSU would give them a solid resume...Very strong non-conference schedule

WIU(6-4)
Quality wins: NIU
Bad losses: None
-WIU did lose to both UNI and ISUR...the necks have lost 3 of their last 4 games

ISUR(6-5)
Bad losses: EIU, ISUB and @USD?

Albany(6-4)
Quality wins: Buffalo and UNH?
Bad losses: Delaware
-The Danes also beat NEC champ St. Francis...If UNH loses to Maine their resume is rather lacking.

Weber State(6-4)
Quality wins: Cal Poly
Bad losses: @USD
-Almost all of these teams had issues with USD so I’m not sure how much that hurts them. Cal Poly is a nice win with Weber but outside of that there isn’t much there. Weber missed playing Montana and EWU in conference play.

I think UNI would have the strongest resumes if both at 6-5. ISUR needs some help with their bad losses. That leaves the last spot and it could really go anyway. I put Weber in my bracket but I could see Albany getting selected with their FBS win and potentially WIU as well who has no bad losses and an FBS win.

Bubble Fringe: UNC, NCAT, Fordham
-If chaos ensues maybe one of these three gets another look but they need a ton of help

I haven't looked at the teams' profiles that closely, but I don't think Villanova is a lock if they lose to Delaware. They would good wins over Lehigh (home), Maine (road), and Albany (home) and a bad loss to Delaware. They didn't play New Hampshire or Stony Brook, so the Wildcats had a relatively favorable in-conference schedule. Villanova still COULD get in, but I don't think that would be definite.

lionsrking2
November 18th, 2016, 04:43 PM

The SLC isn't down. It's rearranged a bit but there's still strength at the top, some solid teams in the middle and some teams scuffling at the bottom. Sam is up, UCA is up, we're better than last year, Nicholls is better than last year ... McNeese is down but still a solid team. HBU is way up. Lamar had a rash of major injuries but were solid prior to being decimated. SFA and ACU are about the same. NW State and UIW are down, though I would argue UIW is about the same, just not fortunate as last year.

Redbird 4th & short
November 18th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Giving this grid once last chance. Divided them up into smaller groups and hoping they are large enough. I think it is pretty telling when you line up all th ebubble teams, sort their games by opponent ranking with the games result and margin, then compare to others on the bubble. Massey is not perfect, but they are pretty good and very objective. Let's see if this works better .. grouped as follows .. 3 bubble teams each from CAA, Big Sky, and MVFC. Each color coded to reflect good/green to bad/red.

Opp-R is Opponent Rank per Massey (all colleges). Marg is Margin of game. W-L is Win or Loss.

Sorted by Massey rank to make it easier to see how teams did against better or worse teams.

So Maine lost to the 4 best teams they played and beat the 6 worst teams they played .. the low rank and margin would suggest all 6 Maine Wins are weak. Maine's best win is against #183 by just 4 points. Their worst win is against #298 by just 7. All of their Wins are against teams Massey ranked between 183 and 298, and they won by an average of just 6 points per game. Their next game is against #182 UNH who has a less impressive resume.

Hard to understand how ISUr and UNI (if they win) at 6-5 isn't a better resume than anyone else's 7-4 .. below is pretty compelling.

CAA bubble team resumes

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23921&stc=1

Big Sky bubble teams resumes

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23920&stc=1

MVFC bubble teams resumes

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23922&stc=1

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Just saying Massey is 0-2 this week in the SLC so far.

UNI in top 10 is proof Massey and Sagarin aren't worth the bandwidth.

MacThor
November 18th, 2016, 05:18 PM

Ding.Ding.Ding.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2016, 05:26 PM
The most ****ed up thing ever would be if UND doesn't get a seed and gets sent to Montana. The #2 Big Sky Champ playing at the #8 (currently). Gawd would the optics be bad on that one.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I haven't looked at the teams' profiles that closely, but I don't think Villanova is a lock if they lose to Delaware. They would good wins over Lehigh (home), Maine (road), and Albany (home) and a bad loss to Delaware. They didn't play New Hampshire or Stony Brook, so the Wildcats had a relatively favorable in-conference schedule. Villanova still COULD get in, but I don't think that would be definite.

Even with a loss Nova would be in a good shape. They beat Albany who is on the bubble and they beat Maine who may be another at-large contender.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2016, 06:25 PM

I said good wins, but I understand you wouldn't know anything about that. xcoffeex

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2016, 09:18 PM
until I figure out how to attach and adjust size, you can see this on our Redbird fanboard:

http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9258&p=183840#p183840

I saw you broke it up a bit to view parts of it, but if it helps anyone with the comparison, here's the full thing...
https://i.imgur.com/BhyWXlY.png

Redbird 4th & short
November 18th, 2016, 10:53 PM
I saw you broke it up a bit to view parts of it, but if it helps anyone with the comparison, here's the full thing...
https://i.imgur.com/BhyWXlY.png
Thanks STLawson !

It is all based and sorted by Massey Opponent Rank, plus color coded .. see a lot of red, that is a weaker schedule per Massey.

Opp-R is Opponent Rank. Marg is Margin of game. Bottom 3 rows show some totals related to record and average margins.

Take a good luck at Maine/UNH, Albany, and Weber St ... weak schedules for sure. Where are the quality wins or even the quality losses ? Why are these teams considered locks if they win tomorrow.

Maine best win is #183. Maine 6 wins came against teams ranked 183 to 298, and their average margin was 6 points per game. UNH best win is #205. Albany best win is 182. Weber St beat a #133, but lost 4 of their 5 toughest games to teams ranked 112 (by 39), 118, 137, and 138. How are these teams all considered locks if they win tomorrow ??

Now look at the # tough games MVFC plays. Look how little red there is on our schedules. This is why 6-5 in the MVFC is surely a better resume than 7-4 anywhere else.

The FCS committee said they are focusing more on SoS this year .. we shall see.

Thanks again ST-Lawsom=n

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Thanks STLawson !

It is all based and sorted by Massey Opponent Rank, plus color coded .. see a lot of red, that is a weaker schedule per Massey.

Take a good luck at Maine/UNH, Albany, and Weber St ... weak schedules for sure. Where are the quality wins or even the quality losses ? Why are these teams considered locks if they win tomorrow.

Maine best win is #183. UNH best win is #205. Albany best win is 182. Weber St beat a #133, but lost 4 of their 5 toughest games to teams ranked 122 (by 39), 118, 137, and 138. How are these teams all considered locks if they win tomorrow ??

Now look at the # tough games MVFC plays. Look how little red there is on our schedules. This is why 6-5 in the MVFC is surely a better resume than 7-4 anywhere else.

The FCS committee said they are focusing more on SoS this year .. we shall see.

Thanks again ST-Lawsom=n

Hey thanks for perpetuating the MVFC fan stereotype. Much appreciated.

Redbird 4th & short
November 18th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Hey thanks for perpetuating the MVFC fan stereotype. Much appreciated.

why would that matter to me ? its playoffs. best teams should be selected objectively.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 11:05 PM
why would that matter to me ? its playoffs. best teams should be selected objectively.

Yeah you're not the best.

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Yeah you're not the best.

Agree.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 11:07 PM
Agree.

Murica

Redbird 4th & short
November 18th, 2016, 11:15 PM
just odd how you guys reflexively circle wagons ... and you weren't even attacked. I just posted some unbiased stats from Massey.

And I didn't say we were the best. Nor that even deserve a bid .. right ???

But I will now. I believe ISUr resume of games warrants an at large bid in a field of 24 teams.

Gangtackle11
November 18th, 2016, 11:21 PM
MVFC 6-5 teams with FBS wins to boot deserve to be in over the less than impressive 7-4 CAA or other league teams.

There I wrote it. Excuse me as I just threw up in my mouth!

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2016, 11:25 PM

How is our defense ranked 5th? Aren't we pretty much at the top of the list in all the defensive stats?

BisonTru
November 18th, 2016, 11:33 PM
The most ****ed up thing ever would be if UND doesn't get a seed and gets sent to Montana. The #2 Big Sky Champ playing at the #8 (currently). Gawd would the optics be bad on that one.

It's pretty damn realistic. It's exactly what happened to SDSU last year. One of the last few out of a seed, and then off to Montana. Once you get past 8, there is no difference in where you sit in the tournament from #9 to #24.

Honestly if UND gets snubbed especially for SDSU, they could get sent to Montana and then NDSU. IMO, the two toughest places in the nation to win on the road.

BisonTru
November 18th, 2016, 11:36 PM
How is our defense ranked 5th? Aren't we pretty much at the top of the list in all the defensive stats?

SOS, everything is adjusted. Else, you folks don't have **** on San Diego.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2016, 11:47 PM

just odd how you guys reflexively circle wagons ... and you weren't even attacked. I just posted some unbiased stats from Massey.

And I didn't say we were the best. Nor that even deserve a bid .. right ???

But I will now. I believe ISUr resume of games warrants an at large bid in a field of 24 teams.
No you already did. But hide behind your ambiguous statement and don't have the balls to back up your mouth xlolx pussy

It's pretty damn realistic. It's exactly what happened to SDSU last year. One of the last few out of a seed, and then off to Montana. Once you get past 8, there is no difference in where you sit in the tournament from #9 to #24.

Honestly if UND gets snubbed especially for SDSU, they could get sent to Montana and then NDSU. IMO, the two toughest places in the nation to win on the road.

Accurate.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2016, 12:17 AM
SOS, everything is adjusted. Else, you folks don't have **** on San Diego.
You're right. When I hear the words "defensive juggernaut" San Diego is the first thought that pops into my head.

Redbird007
November 19th, 2016, 03:18 AM
[QUOTE=Thumper 76;2416107]Hey thanks for perpetuating the MVFC fan stereotype. Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

Hey Thumper what is so offensive about 4th's comments and data? I suggested to him that he share the same data on AGS that he posted on the Redbirdfan.net. I though it was a good statistical perspective by which to compare bubble teams that others might be interested in viewing. What am I missing?

Herder
November 19th, 2016, 05:18 AM

Those charts are telling, I hope the committee is studying that.

In the BCS: I'd take Poly on the Bubble, and Montana deserves to be out IMO, that schedule is bad.

In the MVFC: If 7-4, WIU first. Redbirds more deserving than UNI at 6-5.

Folks, please stop using "7 DI wins" as criteria, it no longer applies. Every win stands on its SOS merit, DI or DII. Lots of better DII wins out there than bottom 40 DI FCS.

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2016, 07:22 AM

Not the same at all. UND has bid for home game. UND is the same conference and is the conference champ. Montana is in 8th ****ing place and has to win to get to 4-4in Big Sky.

Southern Utah would be a closer comparison and they got sent to Sam.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Not the same at all. UND has bid for home game. UND is the same conference and is the conference champ. Montana is in 8th ****ing place and has to win to get to 4-4in Big Sky.

Southern Utah would be a closer comparison and they got sent to Sam.

I'm sure SDSU bid last year as well.

Redbird 4th & short
November 19th, 2016, 07:55 AM
No you already did. But hide behind your ambiguous statement and don't have the balls to back up your mouth xlolx pussy

Accurate.

what do you mean "I don't have the balls the back up my statement" .. I clearly backed up my statement. You are confused.

and did you really just call me a pussy over this ??

again, very odd.

No_Skill
November 19th, 2016, 08:12 AM

Not sure. I think I remember some scuttlebutt about them not bidding because the stadium was under construction. Thumper?

Redbird 4th & short
November 19th, 2016, 08:19 AM

thumper .. your dig at this SHSU fan is confusing. It seems you and I agree on the topic of SOS being very relevant to discussions like these ... which was the entire point of the table of Massey data I posted with playoff teams being decided tomorrow.

So we actually agree ... right ??

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2016, 08:31 AM

For at Howard Wood?

mango433
November 19th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Not sure. I think I remember some scuttlebutt about them not bidding because the stadium was under construction. Thumper?

We may have put in the minimum bid in case we were seeded but that would be about it.

Daytripper
November 19th, 2016, 09:27 AM
thumper .. your dig at this SHSU fan is confusing. It seems you and I agree on the topic of SOS being very relevant to discussions like these ... which was the entire point of the table of Massey data I posted with playoff teams being decided tomorrow.

So we actually agree ... right ??

Thumper is just a Rabbit full of Rage.

Redbird 4th & short
November 19th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Thumper is just a Rabbit full of Rage.
what's odd is I am advocating for my and his conference.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Albany will get in their given FBS win, granted a not eye popping one, and solid conference standing should they beat SBU.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2016, 09:43 AM
For at Howard Wood?

Yes. Sdsu did bid for game. If would have won, would have played at Howard Wood stadium in Sioux Falls.

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Yes. Sdsu did bid for game. If would have won, would have played at Howard Wood stadium in Sioux Falls.

Ok. Thanks.

Gangtackle11
November 19th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Albany will get in their given FBS win, granted a not eye popping one, and solid conference standing should they beat SBU.

Doubt it if Maine wins. Maine would be 7-4 same as Albany. Maine would be 6-2 in CAA. Albany would be 4-4 which is not so solid.

7-4 Albany may get in if UNH beats Maine, but the doors will be wide open for other teams to stake claim to a spot over Albany.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Doubt it if Maine wins. Maine would be 7-4 same as Albany. Maine would be 6-2 in CAA. Albany would be 4-4 which is not so solid.

7-4 Albany may get in if UNH beats Maine, but the doors will be wide open for other teams to stake claim to a spot over Albany.

A lot depends on the Big Sky imo. Could be a lot of "ok" .500 conference records.

Gangtackle11
November 19th, 2016, 10:01 AM
A lot depends on the Big Sky imo. Could be a lot of "ok" .500 conference records.

Maine wins they are in. UNH wins & Albany wins then Albany gets in. I see little room for both getting in. It's a 4 team CAA year at best. I'd say 3 before 5 btw.

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2016, 10:06 AM

It's probably based on your previous Decemberist behavior. Don't take it too hard. ;)

BisonTru
November 19th, 2016, 10:14 AM

We appreciate it bud. Otherwise this site just turns into a CAA/Southland circle jerk. 😀

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2016, 10:39 AM
For at Howard Wood?

Oh man... I can kill two birds with one stone regarding the grammar skills of NDSU's rivals with these two posts.

You guyses talks good! xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2016, 10:39 AM
It's probably based on your previous Decemberist behavior. Don't take it too hard. ;)

Prolly mostly this. And I was three jagerbombs and two pitchers in at that point I believe.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 10:43 AM

WIU has an FBS win, UNI has an FBS win, Illinois State has an FBS win...an FBS win isn't anything special for this bubble.

NDSUtk
November 19th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Prolly mostly this. And I was three jagerbombs and two pitchers in at that point I believe.

Pitchers of Jagerbombs I hope

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Pitchers of Jagerbombs I hope

I wish

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2016, 10:52 AM
While a fbs win is no assurance to be picked for playoffs, in deciding among competing teams with same record, a fbs winner is more likely to be selected. Capt Obvious at your service. 😜

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2016, 12:06 PM

We were in a ways. Those 18 cent coronas always get me going, but the minute I get my first whiskey and coke, that is when I take off.

NDSUtk
November 19th, 2016, 12:08 PM
We were in a ways. Those 18 cent coronas always get me going, but the minute I get my first whiskey and coke, that is when I take off.
The Old B?

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM
The Old B?

You know it. I usually prefer Rooters or the Sportsbar, but for 18 cents, I am obligated to go and punish my liver.

NDSUtk
November 19th, 2016, 12:20 PM
You know it. I usually prefer Rooters or the Sportsbar, but for 18 cents, I am obligated to go and punish my liver.
You are clearly younger than I :) Sports Bar and Old B are just a little too much of a zoo for me. ****, I sound old.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2016, 12:25 PM
You are clearly younger than I :) Sports Bar and Old B are just a little too much of a zoo for me. ****, I sound old.

Only 24 but I can tell that I am slowly getting to the point where those 2 can become not as fun. When my buddies come back from where they live and we have a group, then we will go balls to the wall and then it does not matter, but I really enjoy Rooters since it is not as busy and I ca actually have a conversation and hear the person next to me and not have to yell the entire time.

NDSUtk
November 19th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Only 24 but I can tell that I am slowly getting to the point where those 2 can become not as fun. When my buddies come back from where they live and we have a group, then we will go balls to the wall and then it does not matter, but I really enjoy Rooters since it is not as busy and I ca actually have a conversation and hear the person next to me and not have to yell the entire time.
Exactly!

ST_Lawson
November 19th, 2016, 01:31 PM
WIU has an FBS win, UNI has an FBS win, Illinois State has an FBS win...an FBS win isn't anything special for this bubble.

Hell, at this point we can compare FBS wins...seems like most of the bubble had them. UNI and ISU have better ones than WIU in my opinion. That's part of why 6-5 could get UNI (and maybe even ISU) in, but not us.

UNDBIZ
November 19th, 2016, 02:47 PM
While a fbs win is no assurance to be picked for playoffs, in deciding among competing teams with same record, a fbs winner is more likely to be selected. Capt Obvious at your service. 😜

Not last year.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 05:25 PM
So Samford and Montana both lose...Bubble getting very weak.

Cocky
November 19th, 2016, 05:29 PM
UTM at 7-5 should be considered. 3 losses were to FBS and one to JSU the other to Tn St who was playing well at the time. After them watching today I would consider UTM as worthy as teams mentioned on the bubble.

NDB
November 19th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Quality losses for everyone!

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 05:31 PM
UTM at 7-5 should be considered. 3 losses were to FBS and one to JSU the other to Tn St who was playing well at the time. After them watching today I would consider UTM as worthy as teams mentioned on the bubble.

I think NC A&T is in front of them. Probably ISUR as well...they actually have quality wins.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2016, 05:38 PM
And ISUr might have just found a way to get in. Congrats to, and this will burn my tongue to say, UND on getting a seed. The weight room showed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Fordham just might sneak in. The Chase Edmonds effect....

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 19th, 2016, 05:44 PM
What I think the 8 seeds should be:

1. NDSU
2. SHSU
3. JMU
4. JSU
5. EWU
6. Citadel
7. South Dakota St (contingent upon a win today)
8. Any of the following: UCA, Villanova, Chattanooga, North Dakota

What I think it will be:

1. NDSU
2. JSU
3. EWU
4. SHSU
5. JMU
6. Citadel
7. SDSU (again, contingent upon a win today)
8. Any of the following: UCA, Villanova, Chattanooga, North Dakota

Hambone
November 19th, 2016, 05:45 PM
And ISUr might have just found a way to get in. Congrats to, and this will burn my tongue to say, UND on getting a seed. The weight room showed.
Damn straight!

- - - Updated - - -

1. NDSU
2. SHSU
3. JMU
4. JSU
5. EWU
6. Citadel
8. Any of the following: UCA, Villanova, Chattanooga.

What I think it will be:

1. NDSU
2. JSU
3. EWU
4. SHSU
5. JMU
6. Citadel
no UND?

Schism55
November 19th, 2016, 05:46 PM

1. NDSU
2. SHSU
3. JMU
4. JSU
5. EWU
6. Citadel

What I think it will be:

1. NDSU
2. JSU
3. EWU
4. SHSU
5. JMU
6. Citadel

UCA is not getting a seed.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 19th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Literally was editing it to include UND as you posted that.

Cocky
November 19th, 2016, 06:19 PM
I think NC A&T is in front of them. Probably ISUR as well...they actually have quality wins.
ISUr loss to EIU who Martin beat rather easily.
NCAT would have a good argument.
Would hate to be on the committee as not many sure things out there.

BEAR
November 19th, 2016, 06:22 PM
UCA isnt getting a seed.

It was one bad game BUT I've seen a pattern of slow offense starts and poor pass defense. Sam and Samford both had good Olines that gave their QBs time to throw.

As long as UCA has to face either of thise teams in the playoffs then its a mere formality they play at all.

Cocky
November 19th, 2016, 06:23 PM
UTC leading UAT could be a new number 1

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2016, 06:24 PM
If SDSU holds on to UNI game lead -

1. NDSU
2. EWU
3. JSU
4. SHSU
5. JMU
6. Citadel
7. SDSU
8. UND

Schism55
November 19th, 2016, 06:33 PM

1. NDSU
2. EWU
3. JSU
4. SHSU
5. JMU
6. Citadel
7. SDSU
8. UND

I think you very well could be right sir.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 06:33 PM
NDSU/SDSU whoever doesn't get the auto
Chattanooga
Richmond
UND
UCA
YSU
Villanova
Wofford
UNH
Albany
Weber St
CP if they win

UNC, ISUR, UNI, NC A&T, Fordham, UTM fighting for two or three spots.

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Chattanooga
Richmond
UND
UCA
YSU
Villanova
Wofford
UNH
Albany
Weber St
CP if they win

You forgot one.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 06:40 PM
You forgot one.

I guess you could toss SLU in, I tossed UTM and Fordham in so why not.

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2016, 06:43 PM
I guess you could toss SLU in, I tossed UTM and Fordham in so why not.

;)

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 06:47 PM

1. NDSU
2. EWU
3. JSU
4. SHSU
5. JMU
6. Citadel
7. SDSU
8. UND

I'll endorse those seeds.

Bear84
November 19th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Chattanooga
Richmond
UND
UCA
YSU
Villanova
Wofford
UNH
Albany
Weber St
CP if they win

Samford?