PDA

View Full Version : Which I-AA teams will beat I-A teams this year?

SELOU13
July 12th, 2005, 06:24 PM
My pick is NW State over UL- Monroe.

GAD
July 12th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Does UL-Monroe count as a I-A :confused:

AgentOrange
July 12th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Does UL-Monroe count as a I-A :confused:
I took a look at the ULm site the other day, and they belong to like, three conferences in their different sports.

Sun Belt Conf for football, and Southland Conference for basketball and other stuff.

That has to be confusing for some SIDs from outside schools.

WCU LawCat
July 12th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I'd like to think we have a shot against Cincy

Big Dawg
July 13th, 2005, 12:00 AM
I'd like to think we have a shot against USF or FIU.

SeattleGriz
July 13th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Wow. A Rattlers fan. Welcome to the board.

umassfan
July 13th, 2005, 01:02 AM
UMass @ Army... I-AA should get a win here!

Big Dawg
July 13th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Wow. A Rattlers fan. Welcome to the board.

I've been on these boards since before the 2003 season...LOL...I just hadn't been on in a long time. :cool:

Thanks though. :)

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I took a look at the ULm site the other day, and they belong to like, three conferences in their different sports. Sun Belt Conf for football, and Southland Conference for basketball and other stuff. That has to be confusing for some SIDs from outside schools.

How is that difficult for SIDs from outside schools? I interviewed for a post at Georgetown a few weeks ago and if I had gotten the position, I would've dealt with three sports that were in three different conferences, as well as one sport that had NO conference affiliation at all.

It may be unusual for schools where your at, in Huntsville, but on the east coast, it's nothing new, especially when some major conferences do not have hockey (mens' or womens'), lacrosse, crew, swimming, etc. I believe UConn participates in a seperate conference for both mens' and womens' hockey. Georgetown plays I-AA football, unlike their Big East bretheren. Also play in seperate lacrosse league and their sailing team has no conference affiliation.

On top of that, ULM is about to move themselves to the Sun Belt exclusively, with the exception of swimming & diving as is. Confusion for SIDs? How would you know? Have you worked Sports Information?

Back off my soapbox, SHSU over Houston is a possibility. UH plays Oregon the week before and SHSU will be well-rested after a Thursday game with NAIA Bacone. SHSU will also be able to have a great crowd in Houston.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 13th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Villanova @ Rutgers is a definite possibility - if the game is a 1PM start I'll be writing a column about it too. (When will they announce the times of the games? Frustrating...)

Killtoppers90
July 13th, 2005, 08:17 AM
I know that I will catch some flack for this but I do think that WKU has a shot of beating Auburn this year. Especially with all the re-tooling they have to do on the offensive side of the ball.

saint0917
July 13th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Umass over Army
Delaware over Navy, it could happen, and it has in the past.
Cal Poly over Troy

89Hen
July 13th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I'd like to think we have a shot against USF or FIU.
No and yes. I hope you take FIU to the woodshed, but I don't think you have a shot at USF given all the turmoil in Tallahassee this off season. USF is actually 14-0 vs I-AA in their short tenure as a I-A.

89Hen
July 13th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Delaware over Navy
The Hens don't play Navy this year.

UD1993
July 13th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I think UMass has a good chance against Army.
I hope FAMU crushes FIU.
'nova won't beat Rutgers.

Cocky
July 13th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I know that I will catch some flack for this but I do think that WKU has a shot of beating Auburn this year. Especially with all the re-tooling they have to do on the offensive side of the ball.

You're definitely a true believer in your team.

Auburn's defense will be better than last years team. On offensive I could run behind those two tackles.

I would love to see the upset.

Now any other I-A in Alabama WKU would have a good chance of beating and might be the favorite against Troy and UAB.

kats89
July 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM
SHSU over Houston is a good possibility. We will travel well for that game and like you say TT, we will be well rested from the week before. That game could be the beginning of the end for Briles at UH. I actually think we will win that game in a close one. I would be shocked if we got our butts kicked.

However, UH will be rested as well since I think their game with Oregon is on a Thursday night too?

DCboyWCU
July 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I agree with lawcat. If WCU can solidify it's offense some before we make the trip up to cincy, then we have a chance. I've done some research, and they have a new coach, and lost quite a few players. This will be a young, unexperienced cincy team that is prime for the picking. Also, we will not be their first home game of the season. Before us they host Eastern Michigan, and travel to Penn St. So I wouldn't expect a huge crowd there. They averaged a little over 21,000 last year, so the atmosphere shouldn't be intimidating. Here are some quotes from their spring prospectus.

"Key battles will occur at quarterback and linebacker. Four untested candidates will vie for the signal-calling position during spring practice, with another three joining the fray in preseason. The loss of all three starters plus their backups leaves the linebacker positions up for grabs. The biggest challenge, according to Dantonio, is solidifying the offensive and defensive
fronts."

"This season’s offense will be piloted by a brand-new signal-caller, who will seek protection from a rebuilt group of blockers. On defense, UC will have no
fewer than eight new faces, with newcomers manning all three linebacker positions and three of the four spots on the defensive line."

DCboy@WCU

89Hen
July 13th, 2005, 09:47 AM
SHSU over Houston is a good possibility... I actually think we will win that game in a close one. I would be shocked if we got our butts kicked.
Again, no bad wishes for you, I hope that prediction comes true, but Houston is a decent team IMO. They don't beat the good I-A's, but they generally handle the weaker I-A's (Rice being the exception last year). I watched them play Miami pretty tough last year. It was definitely close in the first half and I think through three. They can be outscored as they give up a lot of points (gave up 30+ 6 times last year).

youwouldno
July 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Well, I know the Paladins won't lose to a I-A team this year. haha... so far as what I-AA teams could win, it's hard to say but any decent I-AA team against a MAC or sun belt team has a chance. WCU is athletic enough to upset Cincy but they'll have to bring their A game and Cincy will have to be struggling.

saint0917
July 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM
The Hens don't play Navy this year.

Your right, my mistake, I was looking at last years schedule

greenG
July 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM
William & Mary over Marshall at Huntington.

ccujacket
July 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM

:eek:

I'll be shocked if WKU stays within 30. It would be down to 20 if this was AU's first game of the year but they have three games to get it together before the WKU game. It will be ugly.

UMASS has a shot but it's certainly not in the bag. Army seems to be improving every game under Bobby Ross.

I don't like WCU's chances much either. Cincy has two games to break in a QB and their second is against Penn State. Coming of the Nittany Lions defense WCU's will look like Swiss Cheese.

Here's the one that jumps out at me:

EWU vs SJSU - Early in the season. Top-tier I-AA versus a bottom-feeding I-A. EWU's passing attack will be filthy and SJSU allowed opposing QBs to pass complete nearly 60% a game, about 8 yds a catch, and an efficiency rating of 136.50 which was good enough to get them 92nd in I-A.

kats89
July 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Again, no bad wishes for you, I hope that prediction comes true, but Houston is a decent team IMO. They don't beat the good I-A's, but they generally handle the weaker I-A's (Rice being the exception last year). I watched them play Miami pretty tough last year. It was definitely close in the first half and I think through three. They can be outscored as they give up a lot of points (gave up 30+ 6 times last year).

I was at the UH/Miami game last year in Reliant Stadium. Yes they did hang tough, but Miami didn't play a very good game at all. Certainly not the Hurricane football everyone is accustomed to watching. I just think UH will take us too lightly.
Here is the guy that will turn some heads that day!!!

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/pics/front_fb_14.jpg

eaglefan452
July 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM

I admire the optimism, but it might not be enough. Depending on how Auburn's rebuilt offense is, this one might get away from the Hilltoppers. I agree with CCUjacket in that if this was their first game, it might be a different story, but being the third game of the year, it might be difficult for WKU. I say Auburn wins by 25.

igo4uni
July 13th, 2005, 10:44 PM
The fabulous UNI Panthers travel to Iowa City to play the Iowa Hawkeyes. My heart tells me that we have a small chance and could pull a huge upset. However, my brain tells me that we have no chance and that the goal for the game should be to get out of Kinnick Stadium with no injuries. Iowa is just too tough for UNI. It hurts me to say that, but it's true. Iowa State is a different story, but I will save that for another post.

peace,

igo4uni