View Full Version : RICHMOND-W&M

Matt
November 13th, 2016, 06:16 PM
I don't think there's a thread for this yet. Let's get the convo going. W&M with nothing to play for but the rivalry. There are fifth year seniors on this team who have never beaten the spiders. Richmond with everything to play for as a win likely means a bye and home game. Richmond is gonna need to come out ready to play because you know the Tribe wants this one (and the cup).

On paper, Richmond should roll. But rivalries are often a little screwy. This could turn into a good one.

spdram
November 13th, 2016, 07:38 PM
W&M 61-60-5, about as tight as it can be. Richmond is pretty beaten up and will have to have some younger players step up in order to win.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 13th, 2016, 08:46 PM
What the hell happened in the 2nd Half of the Tribe game at Towson? Tracking along with the first half looked like the Tribe was turning the corner. Remarkable collapse.

TribeNomad1
November 13th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Towson made solid adjustments on defense at the half. We gave up two big plays early, one a special teams TD, then a long run for a TD. Game over then. We have LOTS of injuries, but many saw some issues early in the season, and the Elon game at home to open the CAA slate set the tone for the season.

Stonewall D
November 13th, 2016, 11:38 PM
How has Cluly done this year?

Sitting Bull
November 14th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Series is 61-59-5. Oldest football rivalry in the South. Like most, the series has seen waves. W&M dominated in the 80s and 90s, Richmond since.

I would like to believe the rivalry will bring some new juice from the Tribe though just not seeing it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 14th, 2016, 05:12 AM
It is 61-60. We got 2 last year.

Tribe4SF
November 14th, 2016, 09:10 AM
How has Cluly done this year?

Very rocky earlier in year, but has played much better lately. It's been a revolving door at receiver which hasn't helped him. Top five receivers have all missed time, and none have been 100% for quite a while. They turned him loose running the ball several weeks ago which seems to have helped his overall game.

bostonspider
November 14th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Love to see the Spiders tie the rivalry back up. UR lead the rivalry up until the 100th game when the Tribe took their first series lead. They have lead since then. UR has won 10 of the last 12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_Cup

Hanca
November 14th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Spider injuries are bothersome. Lost another D lineman for season. Limited running backs available due to prior injuries and loss of backup QB/ running back. And as usual, Delaware exposed UR's miserable kickoff special teams and,also, blocked punt. This one will be close.

Matt
November 14th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Spiders fans: any insight on Broadus' absence from Senior Day/the game/the sideline? Heard rumors he was kicked off the team for another violation of team rules. Also heard he was sick (there's a nasty virus going around campus. Several students have been hospitalized). Didnt see anything in the Times Dispatch and google is no help.

Edit: I see where the team said he wouldnt play and it wasn't an injury, but no further info. I guess it must be a suspension. And to not even let him appear for Senior Day, he must've really ****ed up. Again.

Stonewall D
November 15th, 2016, 03:55 PM
The Spider's Special Teams play will be the difference in this game. Can W&M take advantage of UR's weaknesses on kick-offs?

tribe_pride
November 15th, 2016, 08:23 PM
The Spider's Special Teams play will be the difference in this game. Can W&M take advantage of UR's weaknesses on kick-offs?

Are you saying that the Tribe special teams has been good? Going into the season you could argue yes but losing the kicker and punter has helped make the Tribe special teams not so special.

Stonewall D
November 15th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Are you saying that the Tribe special teams has been good? Going into the season you could argue yes but losing the kicker and punter has helped make the Tribe special teams not so special.
Richmond routinely allows opposing teams to start around the 50yard line

Stonewall D
November 15th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Tribe special teams has got to be better than Richmond 's.

Matt
November 16th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Spiders fans: any insight on Broadus' absence from Senior Day/the game/the sideline? Heard rumors he was kicked off the team for another violation of team rules. Also heard he was sick (there's a nasty virus going around campus. Several students have been hospitalized). Didnt see anything in the Times Dispatch and google is no help.

Edit: I see where the team said he wouldnt play and it wasn't an injury, but no further info. I guess it must be a suspension. And to not even let him appear for Senior Day, he must've really ****ed up. Again.

got my answer

- - - Updated - - -

There are high schools that could start on the 50 against us.

MacThor
November 16th, 2016, 11:30 AM
got my answer.

New or old?
PM me if you'd prefer to keep it off the board. Or don't. :)

Sitting Bull
November 17th, 2016, 05:18 AM

That would be a real stretch. We lost both our punter and place kicker, both excellent, early in the year.

It fully cost us one game, at UNH. Two missed FG chip shots, surrendering a third chip attempt and a missed PAT. With Dorka in the game, that's up to 11 points we just threw out.

Sounds like there may be a lot of short fields on Saturday.

Weather looks outstanding for Saturday, 75 and sun in Williamsburg.

wmmii
November 17th, 2016, 10:10 AM
The success of RB Kendall Anderson for Tribe will be a key. IF team can revert to a control ground game and selective good passes by QB Cluley they have a chance. Team that has the better special team play (both horrible) will decide game.

Matt
November 17th, 2016, 10:28 AM
The success of RB Kendall Anderson for Tribe will be a key. IF team can revert to a control ground game and selective good passes by QB Cluley they have a chance. Team that has the better special team play (both horrible) will decide game.

We've been good not great against the run. The only team to really run with success against us was JMU, and a lot of that is that Schor made them so dynamic. Abdullah got his yards but much of it was thanks to Schor's passing (and running). He got like 120, but I don't think anyone would say he dominated us. Cluley isnt that sort of QB, or at least he hasn't been this year. We're one of the best against the pass in the country, so Cluley is gonna have to have a special game. And your O-line is gonna need to hold up against one of the CAA's better pass rushes. If we control those aspects, you won't be able to keep our D honest enough for Anderson to find space to run.

MacThor
November 17th, 2016, 11:13 AM

I don't know, our special teams play has not been better than most of our opponents, and we've still won 8. We were definitely better than UVa at special teams.
As bad as our ST was against Delaware, we still won by two TDs - I will give our punter credit, though - he had a punt downed closer to the goal line then I've ever seen in a game at any level. There were maybe three "blades" of field turf between the ball and the goal line.

Matt
November 17th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I don't know, our special teams play has not been better than most of our opponents, and we've still won 8. We were definitely better than UVa at special teams.
As bad as our ST was against Delaware, we still won by two TDs - I will give our punter credit, though - he had a punt downed closer to the goal line then I've ever seen in a game at any level. There were maybe three "blades" of field turf between the ball and the goal line.

never been so excited about a punt. that was amazing. He and Trau have been outstanding, so it isn't fair to say our special teams has been atrocious. It's our kick coverage. particularly kickoffs.

Sort of related: anybody know wtf Broadus was doing kicking out of the endzone against jmu? That was bizarre and helped lose that game for us. Rocco ever explain that? If so I missed it. He's not listed as the backup...

MacThor
November 17th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Well, we did have a punt blocked in that same game.

Broadus is the backup punter. I guess maybe Rocco thinks he gets the ball out faster. I don't know if he was even asked about it post-game.

Matt
November 17th, 2016, 02:28 PM

Broadus is the backup punter. I guess maybe Rocco thinks he gets the ball out faster. I don't know if he was even asked about it post-game.

Pretty sure Trau is supposed to be (he's listed as P/K on the roster). I don't have it in front of me, but I believe he's listed in the program as the backup. I remember looking and it not being Broadus.

Matt
November 17th, 2016, 02:33 PM

Maybe he went with David because he's taller than those two. Hindsight is 20/20 but it was pretty dumbass.

MacThor
November 17th, 2016, 05:39 PM
<shrug> Neither one of them is listed as such on the website. I just remember when Bob Black made the announcement about Broadus on the pre-game show, he included "backup punter."

kdinva
November 19th, 2016, 11:25 AM
UR fumbles opening KO.......W&M gets a FG.....punt and punt, UR ball now at the 50--9:10 in the 1st.

3-0 Tribe

spdram
November 19th, 2016, 12:39 PM
W&M QB Cluely injured non-throwing shoulder, playing with obvious injury. UR QB Lauletta injured knee on running play, out for remainder of game. Playing back-up Clise.

Matt
November 19th, 2016, 01:01 PM
un-****ing-believable. how are we so snake-bit this year? god i hate sports.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Wow huge targeting call takes away a UR defensive TD and gives W&M a 1st down when it was 3rd and forever.

Matt
November 19th, 2016, 01:21 PM
awful call

FargoBison
November 19th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Yeah, not sure what the defender was supposed to do...QB put him in a tough spot.

tribefan40
November 19th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Stupid play by the Richmond defender. No need to go that high. Bring him down and force the punt.

Matt
November 19th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Doesnt matter now. Our season is over.

kdinva
November 19th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Tribe up 27-13........13 minutes remain.

knucklehead
November 19th, 2016, 02:27 PM
WOW! So much for that bye week UR. Unreal!

knucklehead
November 19th, 2016, 02:29 PM
I don't hear the fat lady singing. Just no bye
Doesnt matter now. Our season is over.

DallasSpider
November 19th, 2016, 04:59 PM
If this team goes and wins it's playoff game it shows to me that this team was for real regardless of how the final record is. Losing your 1-2 RBs, 1-2 QBs, two starting DL, starting corner, starting AA safety and multiple role players/backups and we are still in a position to possibly win a playoff game and make a run. Now I just pray everyone else is able to stay healthy this late in the season.

spdram
November 19th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Congrats to the Tribe fans -- I know it feels good to break our streak. Cluley was a warrior today being barely able to move his off arm, still lead his team to victory. Looked to me the turf monster caught Kyle's leg, I hope he is able to play in the playoffs, he deserves the opportunity.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 19th, 2016, 07:45 PM
If this team goes and wins it's playoff game it shows to me that this team was for real regardless of how the final record is. Losing your 1-2 RBs, 1-2 QBs, two starting DL, starting corner, starting AA safety and multiple role players/backups and we are still in a position to possibly win a playoff game and make a run. Now I just pray everyone else is able to stay healthy this late in the season.

This team has definitely had it's share of adversity. We'll be stronger for it, no matter what happens next week.

MacThor
November 19th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Stupid play by the Richmond defender. No need to go that high. Bring him down and force the punt.

Stupid comment by tribefan40. Cluley ducked into the hit, and he still got him in the shoulder.
Not even one of the W&M football alumni I watched with thought it was a legit call. Just watched the TV replay and the announcers agreed.

ZableNoise
November 19th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Stupid comment by tribefan40. Cluley ducked into the hit, and he still got him in the shoulder.
Not even one of the W&M football alumni I watched with thought it was a legit call. Just watched the TV replay and the announcers agreed.

Great call. My favorite part of the game was watching all the Spider fans throw a piss fit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

YoUDeeMan
November 19th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Richmond. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Top 10. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Montana. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Top 10. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Delaware. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Brock left us better than when he came. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolx

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee!

Stonewall D
November 20th, 2016, 03:15 AM
Well it looks like ur"s very good QB is out with a torn ACL. Our 2 starting QBs, 2 starting RBs, and half of our original starting 22 players are out for the season. UR will have a limited roster if they make it into the playoffs.

RootinFerDukes
November 20th, 2016, 06:35 AM
UR will make it to the playoffs. The only way you're not is if your administration voluntarily turned down the playoff invite.

Can that even be done?

Eight Legger
November 20th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Of course we will accept the invite. It's idiotic to assume otherwise. Not sure why any of our fans have suggested this as a possibility.

However, it's hard to see us advancing more than one game, if that. our QB situation is dire. Our options are a walk-on transfer from LSU who can't throw because of a shoulder injury, a redshirt freshman walkon who is our fourth-stringer, or burning a redshirt year of a sophomore or true freshman. It will be hard to beat anyone running the ball 80% of the time. It's a shame, because we have had a great season.

wmmii
November 20th, 2016, 06:43 AM
We've been good not great against the run. The only team to really run with success against us was JMU, and a lot of that is that Schor made them so dynamic. Abdullah got his yards but much of it was thanks to Schor's passing (and running). He got like 120, but I don't think anyone would say he dominated us. Cluley isnt that sort of QB, or at least he hasn't been this year. We're one of the best against the pass in the country, so Cluley is gonna have to have a special game. And your O-line is gonna need to hold up against one of the CAA's better pass rushes. If we control those aspects, you won't be able to keep our D honest enough for Anderson to find space to run.

Anderson 42 carriers for 219 yards and fumble by Richmond on the opening kickoff leads to Tribe win 34-13.

tribefan40
November 20th, 2016, 07:02 AM

Watched it in real time and multiple replays on the board. No need in an already chippy game for that kind of hit when all you need to do is bring him down. Bad call or not, it's highly undisciplined in that situation, as was your coach's reaction. Best of luck to your team in the playoffs.

Sitting Bull
November 20th, 2016, 07:29 AM
The game had too many penalties and too many media timeouts.

Beyond that, a beautiful day and dominating win from W&M. Kendall Anderson was a beast, broke the school record for rushing attempts (42) and picked up 210 yards.

I thought the targeting penalty was going to be the turning point of the game. I haven't seen on tape though since they took a timeout to review and declared it flagrant, thats all the evidence I need.

The turning point in retrospect was the Lauletta's injury. UR looks totally lost without him.

The play of the game, Steve Cluleys run across the field on the 2 point conversion to put the Tribe up 20-13. After all the crap Cluley took on line from Spider fans last year, it was so satisfying to see him just kick them in the ass.

Tribe 62. Spiders 60.

wmmii
November 20th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Hat off to Cluley who was hurt on a Richmond hit as he was sliding on the ground in first half and played the rest of the game with his none throwing shoulder ding up....Anderson was a beast-look for him to play Sunday's next fall

paward
November 20th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Congratulations W&M. You played a great game. The series is now 62-60 and five ties in W&M favor. KA is a beast.

Terry2889
November 20th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Congratulations W&M. You played a great game. The series is now 62-60 and five ties in W&M favor. KA is a beast.

Very happy to see W & M finish up the season strong. Also it's great to see Cluley have a signature game. He has struggled and has taken a lot of flak on this board and it's nice to see a kid who served his program for five years go out with a big game. Richmond seems to be leaking oil unfortunately. Once again, health is the most accurate indicator of success in football...

WestCoastAggie
November 20th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Next Saturday will be interesting in Richmond next week. Richmond and A&T are playing with backup QB's and lost rivalry games.

It will be hopefully interesting to watch.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Congrats, Tribe!

BisonTru
November 20th, 2016, 12:01 PM
So what's the latest on Lauretta?

RootinFerDukes
November 20th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Next Saturday will be interesting in Richmond next week. Richmond and A&T are playing with backup QB's and lost rivalry games.

It will be hopefully interesting to watch.

I've watched some A&T games this season. Tarik Cohen is a stub RB. He will give Richmond trouble if they're not careful.

MacThor
November 20th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I thought the targeting penalty was going to be the turning point of the game. I haven't seen on tape though since they took a timeout to review and declared it flagrant, thats all the evidence I need.

The CAA has never overturned a targeting penalty. They are cowards.
This hit met none of the criteria for targeting per the NCAA rules. The CAA has called hits like this targeting in the past, and let them stand.

It's over. We move on. W&M doesn't.

MacThor
November 20th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Watched it in real time and multiple replays on the board. No need in an already chippy game for that kind of hit when all you need to do is bring him down. Bad call or not, it's highly undisciplined in that situation, as was your coach's reaction. Best of luck to your team in the playoffs.

Thanks. We'll need it.

I'll take the word of multiple former W&M football alumni over multiple replays on the jumbotron.
Clean hard tackle. Knocked the ball free, which is one of the objectives of tackling. Cluley popped right up and pursued the play downfield!
Doesn't matter now. Laycock knows y'all got away with one there.

Sitting Bull
November 20th, 2016, 01:49 PM
The CAA has never overturned a targeting penalty. They are cowards.
This hit met none of the criteria for targeting per the NCAA rules. The CAA has called hits like this targeting in the past, and let them stand.

It's over. We move on. W&M doesn't.

You are right about one thing, its over.

The other is - you lost. And frankly in the 2nd half, you were dominated. You lost by 21 points.

Instead of sharing your opinions on rule books and whining about a penalty, of which this game had far too many on both sides, you should try showing a little class.

tribe_pride
November 20th, 2016, 02:52 PM
I've seen the play where Cluley got injured get called as targeting a ton of times in college (even if it is weak, that is how it has been called). Richmond got away with it on that play in my opinion. Did not see the other play as I was gone so can't comment on that one and am not saying that is why he was injured because it was not.

32counter
November 20th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Sadly,after Lauletta went down in the 2nd Q we then went to our #4 and #6 QB's, neither of which has played this season.Our #6 is a walk on.Our #2 hasn't played for 3 weeks and our #3 and #5 were redshirted and we kept them redshirted.Our offense did nothing after Lauletta got hurt,except for an occasional run by #20 Thompson,a freshman who was our #3 RB who has filled in admirably for the loss of our #1 and #2,both ACL casualties too.
Domination-please.Our defense was on the field for 90% of the 2nd half because our offense crashed.

See you and Jimmye in the BrickHouse next season.Bring your crying towels.It won't be pretty.

spdram
November 20th, 2016, 06:46 PM
The announcers didn't think it should have been targeting -- just good hard nosed football. That said congrats to the Tribe, we've been in that spot (disappointing season ending with a victory over your rival) and it certainly makes the off season much sweeter. We've got to get ready to play NC A&T. Best to you next season, see you at the Rob where we'll get our chance to send you home disappointed!

MacThor
November 20th, 2016, 08:13 PM
You are right about one thing, its over.

The other is - you lost. And frankly in the 2nd half, you were dominated. You lost by 21 points.

Instead of sharing your opinions on rule books and whining about a penalty, of which this game had far too many on both sides, you should try showing a little class.

You're right. Congratulations on the win. We lost fair and square and didn't respond to adversity, and we were leading at both major turning points. That call by itself did not cost Richmond the game. FWIW I thought the first hit on Cluley should have been a penalty.

JMU responded to adversity last week and they were tied at Villanova.

It stings getting lectured on class from a member of a fan base who cheered and laughed at Lauletta writhing on the ground.

The main point about the targeting call is the CAA has to do something about it, or at least use the review process as intended to reverse calls on contact that isn't targeting, but might look that way in real time. They haven't reversed a targeting call yet. The ejection of a player is too severe a penalty when you get it wrong. If they don't fix it, eventually it will bite W&M in an important game (perhaps it already has).

Again, congratulations. See you next year.

Tribal
November 22nd, 2016, 01:45 PM
You're right. Congratulations on the win. We lost fair and square and didn't respond to adversity, and we were leading at both major turning points. That call by itself did not cost Richmond the game. FWIW I thought the first hit on Cluley should have been a penalty.

JMU responded to adversity last week and they were tied at Villanova.

It stings getting lectured on class from a member of a fan base who cheered and laughed at Lauletta writhing on the ground.

The main point about the targeting call is the CAA has to do something about it, or at least use the review process as intended to reverse calls on contact that isn't targeting, but might look that way in real time. They haven't reversed a targeting call yet. The ejection of a player is too severe a penalty when you get it wrong. If they don't fix it, eventually it will bite W&M in an important game (perhaps it already has).

Again, congratulations. See you next year.

You are absolutely full of ****, again. Not one Tribe fan cheered and laughed when your QB got hurt. You make up a lot of crap but everyone knows W&M fans are one of the classiest in college sports and to say otherwise is a flat lie.

We won and you advance. You should be happy about that instead of acting like one call was the difference in getting curbstomped by a depleted sub-500 team. The better team won and you're making up stories about our fanbase to sooth your insecurity.

One Tribe. One Family.

DirtyDukes
November 22nd, 2016, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear about Kyle, spatter fans. Say what you will about the rivalry I hate seeing any athlete get hurt. At least he's got all next season to tear up the CAA again.