3 - Samford - Wasn't pretty, but got it done
4 - Chattanooga - stumbled
5 - Furman - Who are these guys?
6 - Mercer - Put up another good fight
7 - VMI - This team is improving, look for better things in the coming years
8 - WCU - Just not gelling
9 - ETSU - a ways back

Predictions

The Citadel @ North Carolina - I find it pleasant that so many folks feel we might be in this one. We did not play three offensive starters this past week to get some rest and heal up apparently. Maybe that will help. UNC might be looking forward to NC Sate, but they might also remember they lost to USC last year and we didn't. I don't think we will be sneeking up on them. They could burn us on big plays. They played Ga Tech a week ago so they have some recent option defense as well. I think we can have some success, but not sure we can hold their passing attack--they average over 300 a game. Like I said about the Samford game, we will need to hold the ball 38-40 minutes in order to win. We have to have some long drives to keep it out of their offense's hands. Not sure we can - 42-17

Samford @ ETSU - Samford needs to win and they will, big - 42-14

Furman @ Mercer - The Paladins may have found their groove. A bit late maybe but better late than never - 24-20

UTC @ Alabama - Not sure if they were looking ahead this past week or not. The last two times these teams met, UTC lost big. But this is a better team. Even if Bama throttles back, still going to be tough to not get blown out - 41-7

VMI @ Wofford - Wofford needs this one or they would be done for the year. Unfortunately for Wofford, VMI just played The Citadel, but they should win easily - 34-13

WCU @ South Carolina - Gamecocks might be looking ahead, but unless WCU's defense shows up it will be bad - 49-10

Playoff Picture

The Citadel - (10-0) 9 Div I wins, autobid, seed probable
UTC - (8-2) 7 Div I wins, likely 8-3
Samford - (7-3) 6 Div I wins, likely 8-3
Wofford - (7-3) 6 Div I wins, likely 8-3

WIth all three (UTC, Woff, and Sammy) at 8-3, and round robin losses to eachother, it will be hard to exclude any of them, especially with all three having close losses with The Citadel. In regard to a seed, the only team with two marquis wins is Samford (Cent Ark and Wofford), but they lost to UTC so it will be interesting to see what the commitee comes up with. In regard to The Citadel, it will probably be a seed of 5-7. That is, unless they win or lose a tight one at UNC.

kdinva
November 13th, 2016, 10:10 AM
1) The Citadel
t2) UTC
t2) Samford
t2) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Mercer
t7) VMI
t7) WCU
9) ETSU

Wofford 34; VMI 17
UNC 41; Citadel 17
'Bama 55; UTC 12
Samford 48; ETSU 17
Furman 28; Mercer 25
S. Carolina 42; WCU 10

elcid96
November 13th, 2016, 10:16 AM
1) The Citadel
t2) UTC
t2) Samford
t2) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Mercer
t7) VMI
t7) WCU
9) ETSU

Wofford 34; VMI 17
UNC 41; Citadel 17
'Bama 55; UTC 12
Samford 48; ETSU 17
Furman 28; Mercer 25
S. Carolina 42; WCU 10

Totally a Homer Pick, but Citadel wins by 3 over UNC.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Serious question -

How did Western get so bad on defense? I know they are an offense first team, but I was surprised to see how undisciplined they were on defense (overpenetrating into the backfield, overrunning plays, etc.).

walliver
November 13th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Serious question -

How did Western get so bad on defense? I know they are an offense first team, but I was surprised to see how undisciplined they were on defense (overpenetrating into the backfield, overrunning plays, etc.).

They fired their D.C. mid-year, and I guess had no-one to take his place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Cats
November 13th, 2016, 02:50 PM
They fired their D.C. mid-year, and I guess had no-one to take his place.

That about sums it up.....

Losing DC Shawn Quinn to TTU hurt the defense more than any of us could have imagined.

longtimemocfan
November 13th, 2016, 03:40 PM
1- The Citadel- Won out.
2- Samford- Earned this spot.
3- Wofford- Ayers has a great staff.
4- Chattanooga- Took a step back. Woffy DC had a great game plan and our OC never made proper adjustments. Quick slant was open all day. Never once saw one employed.
5- Furman- Just wonder what the brass at Furman think of Fowler if he wins next week at Mercer and I think he will.
6- Mercer- Nearly lost to ETSU, but almost came back on Samford. Just never know what to expect from them.
7- WCU- Defense needs a lot of attention in the off season.
8- VMI- Loss of Cobb more evident against The Citadel.
9- ETSU- Improvement from last year.

The Citadel @ North Carolina- Tar Heels handled Ga.Tech another TO team. I think Bullpups grind clock better. If you can limit possessions like Duke did you have a better chance against them. 31-20.
Samford @ ETSU- Dogs air it out against Bucs. 38-14.
Chattanooga @ Alabama- Tide will roll by as much as it wants. Mocs will scale back any player that is dinged up in anticipation of the playoffs. 56-3.
VMI @ Wofford- Anklebiters have momentum. 31-14.
WCU @ South Carolina- Gamecocks roll through Cats. 45-10.
Furman @ Mercer- Paladins been playing well lately. 28-24.

Playoffs- The Citadel, Samford and Wofford. Think Mocs may get in just because some of the other conferences down.

CID1990
November 13th, 2016, 03:44 PM
1- The Citadel- Won out.
4- Chattanooga- Took a step back. Woffy DC had a great game plan and our OC never made proper adjustments. Quick slant was open all day. Never once saw one employed.
5- Furman- Just wonder what the brass at Furman think of Fowler if he wins next week at Mercer and I think he will.
6- Mercer- Nearly lost to ETSU, but almost came back on Samford. Just never know what to expect from them.

The Citadel @ North Carolina- Tar Heels handled Ga.Tech another TO team. I think Bullpups grind clock better. If you can limit possessions like Duke did you have a better chance against them. 31-20.
Chattanooga @ Alabama- Tide will roll by as much as it wants. Mocs will scale back any player that is dinged up in anticipation of the playoffs. 56-3.

Playoffs- The Citadel, Samford and Wofford. Think Mocs may get in just because some of the other conferences down.

If we play the Tarheels to within 11 points then I like our chances to crack the #4 seed.

But then the committee has its head up its ass so who knows maybe they'll drop us to #8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucs2016
November 13th, 2016, 03:47 PM
If playoff predictions hold....The Citadels next game after UNC will be the dreaded dirty filthy Buccaneers from CSU!!!!

longtimemocfan
November 13th, 2016, 04:15 PM
If we play the Tarheels to within 11 points then I like our chances to crack the #4 seed.

But then the committee has its head up its ass so who knows maybe they'll drop us to #8.

Playing a FBS team this late in the season shouldn't make that big of a change in your seed unless you beat them. CSU shagged starters against Alabama last year and they didn't punish them for losing by as much as they did.

cidgrad89
November 13th, 2016, 04:49 PM
If playoff predictions hold....The Citadels next game after UNC will be the dreaded dirty filthy Buccaneers from CSU!!!!

Thinking y'all will be paired against Wofford or Samford with the winner playing The Citadel. Hope you dopes look past Wofford. Y'all will lose.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2016, 09:00 PM
1- The Citadel- Won out.

Tough to read what Furman will do. I understand Fowler still has a year left on his contract.

Do you bring him back and sacrifice a couple of assistants? Do you buy him out and go for a whole sale change? Even if you wanted to, can you?

The biggest concern for the administration, I think, has to be the fan support. Furman fans have just sort of given up hope of a turnaround. Even a homecoming game against Wofford drew only 7800 fans, which is roughly half of what Furman averaged 10 years ago. Furman is graduating a new generation of alums who have no personal connection to the football program or its history. The fan base has sort of given up at this point, and I'm beginning to think the only way to get them back is to come up with some significant changes.

I do think Furman has talented players. We've played nose to nose with the top of the conference (and top ten national teams). We've beaten the stuffing out of the lower echelon of programs. Leads me to think that we are far closer to being "good" than "bad."

OL FU
November 14th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Tough to read what Furman will do. I understand Fowler still has a year left on his contract.

Do you bring him back and sacrifice a couple of assistants? Do you buy him out and go for a whole sale change? Even if you wanted to, can you?

The biggest concern for the administration, I think, has to be the fan support. Furman fans have just sort of given up hope of a turnaround. Even a homecoming game against Wofford drew only 7800 fans, which is roughly half of what Furman averaged 10 years ago. Furman is graduating a new generation of alums who have no personal connection to the football program or its history. The fan base has sort of given up at this point, and I'm beginning to think the only way to get them back is to come up with some significant changes.

I do think Furman has talented players. We've played nose to nose with the top of the conference (and top ten national teams). We've beaten the stuffing out of the lower echelon of programs. Leads me to think that we are far closer to being "good" than "bad."

That's a very good analysis. I think the biggest issue at this point isn't the coaches record but what has happened in the fan base. That has to be a the major concern and one that needs to be turned around quickly. We know the key to that is winning. I, too, think we, with a few "tweaks", could have been a good team. The concern though is we weren't. Those tweaks weren't made. I think you know that I am not the firebrand fire the coach kinda person, but you have to look at it in totality. In six years we have gone from 5-6 middle of the pack (Lamb's last year) to 4-7 or 3-8 middle of the pack SoCon team. I don't think that can be dismissed (not that you are).

sudog03
November 14th, 2016, 06:23 AM
What a great year of SoCon football. So very little separating teams 1-6 in the league. So many games have come down the final possession or OT. I thought the league would be better this year, I didn't anticipate it being THIS good. The SoCon currently has 4 teams in the top 15 on Massey's composite computer ranking. My take:

1. Citadel - Survived a couple of OT games and needed a few 4th quarter comebacks, but got it done.
2. Wofford - Very nice win at UTC. Their outstanding run defense gives them this spot.
3. Samford - Should win 8 games on a 11 game year for the first time since 1992.
4. UTC - Haven't been the same since midseason.
5. Mercer - Need a couple more recruiting classes.
6. Furman - Nice job by Fowler and his staff to somewhat salvage the season.
7. VMI - Getting better.
8. ETSU - Fighting hard each week.
9. WCU - Not sure I've seen a program fall so far, so fast.

ChattaHatta
November 14th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Great year in the SoCon. We all said there would be some interesting games between 1-4 in the standings and we were right. Week in and out, we've seen some exciting football across the league.

Nonetheless, we looked flat on Saturday. Wofford came out and hit us in the mouth and we just couldn't respond. Their defense consistently made plays when it mattered. The DBs were all over those deep balls in the last 30 seconds of the game making incredible plays on the ball.

Unfortunately there are a few rumors floating around that UTC might not get in the playoffs due to our weak schedule. I think we'll get in, but will probably be on the road. Thoughts?

Mocs123
November 14th, 2016, 08:45 AM
We will be on the bubble (with Wofford) for a playoff spot. If we get in my guess is we host a first round game which is based on nothing less than $ bids on the game. After the first round we would be on the road unless we ran into another non seeded team (if an upset happened) and then it would go back to bids.

That is my understanding anyways.

walliver
November 14th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Great year in the SoCon. We all said there would be some interesting games between 1-4 in the standings and we were right. Week in and out, we've seen some exciting football across the league.

Nonetheless, we looked flat on Saturday. Wofford came out and hit us in the mouth and we just couldn't respond. Their defense consistently made plays when it mattered. The DBs were all over those deep balls in the last 30 seconds of the game making incredible plays on the ball.

Unfortunately there are a few rumors floating around that UTC might not get in the playoffs due to our weak schedule. I think we'll get in, but will probably be on the road. Thoughts?

Chatty's schedule is comparable to those of Wofford, Samford and El Cid. Sammy has a better OOC FCS, and the Citadel is schlepping with a ACC money game.

ElCid
November 14th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Well it's better that SHSU's SOS and a few others.

Go to this thread and see the SOS of the Committee's top 10. I broke it out by Sagarin and Massey.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?188734-Bracketology-6-0/page8

longtimemocfan
November 14th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Well it's better that SHSU's SOS and a few others.

Go to this thread and see the SOS of the Committee's top 10. I broke it out by Sagarin and Massey.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?188734-Bracketology-6-0/page8

I saw this earlier and with a very weak bubble this year I think 4 teams get in. It's going to be close. I think El Cid, Samford and Woffy are a lock. I think we probably will get in as well.
I just hope the probable 56-3 or so loss to Alabama doesn't cause domino effect.

CitadelGrad
November 14th, 2016, 11:15 AM
It's hard to believe Chatt might be left out, but you never know what might happen when your fate is left in the hands of others.

CID1990
November 14th, 2016, 11:22 AM
All the predicting and power ranking aside...

We've been in the wilderness for a long time. It sho feels good to be here with games still left to be played (as of two weeks ago) only have to wonder what our playoff seed will be.

The best part is that this has been a process. In 1992 we KNEW we wouldn't be as good the following year. We had a couple classes that were those once in a lifetime kids who just played well together, but they were an accident of timing and recruiting more than anything.

This team is DEEP. We have a knob QB on our scout team who has been called "the best TO QB I've ever seen" by someone in the know. We have a huge stable of running backs. Key offensive players are coming back next year. Our defense is also deep. Our biggest losses will be on the OL but we have a new crop of very mean kids coming up who like to hit people.

It's a great time to be a Bulldog!

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Certainly remains to be seen what the fine members of the Selection Committee will do...but based on the SoCon being the consensus 2nd strongest Conference in FCS...

RANK
CONFERENCE
SAGARIN RATING

MISSOURI VALLEY

SOUTHERN

BIG SKY

COLONIAL

BIG SOUTH

OHIO VALLEY

PATRIOT

IVY LEAGUE

SOUTHLAND

NORTHEAST

SWAC-WEST

MID-EASTERN

SWAC-EAST

PIONEER

Conference
Massey Rating

Missouri Valley

Southern

Big Sky

Big South

Colonial

Southland

OH Valley

Patriot League

Ivy League

Northeast

SWAC West

Pioneer

Southwestern AC

Mid-Eastern AC

SWAC East

Conference
Wilson Rating

Missouri Valley Football Conference

Southern Conference

Big Sky Conference

Big South

Colonial Athletic Association

Ohio Valley Conference

Southland Conference

Patriot League

Ivy League

Northeast Conference

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

Pioneer Football League

Southwestern Athletic Conference

...and with my 'friend,' the well-known analyst, David Wilson, ranking the top 6 Teams in the SoCon thusly...

Wilson National Ranking
Team
Wilson Rating

Citadel

Samford

Tn.-Chattanooga

Wofford

Mercer

Furman

...there is no frappin' way, the Top 4 SoCon Teams are not in the Playoffs....and at least one of the 3 non-AutoBid Teams SHOULD get a Seed!

Heck, if Mercer beats FU this week, I'm thinking a 6-5 Mercer Team ought to also be in...if a 6-5 WIU Team made it last year!

walliver
November 14th, 2016, 12:07 PM
...there is no frappin' way, the Top 4 SoCon Teams are not in the Playoffs....and at least one of the 3 non-AutoBid Teams SHOULD get a Seed!

Heck, if Mercer beats FU this week, I'm thinking a 6-5 Mercer Team ought to also be in...if a 6-5 WIU Team made it last year!

Not scheduling Reinhardt hurt your strength of schedule and will keep you out of the playoffs ... sorry.

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Not scheduling Reinhardt hurt your strength of schedule and will keep you out of the playoffs ... sorry.

No kidding...update on the Reinhardt Eagles, as 'requested'...

2016 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Final (Nov. 13)

RANK
LAST TIME
SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)
2016 RECORD
TOTAL POINTS

Marian (Ind.) (15)
10-0

Baker (Kan.)
11-0

Reinhardt (Ga.)
11-0

NAIA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES (http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=210232401)

http://www.reinhardteagles.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/Southeastern-University-in-Florida.png&width=72&height=72
1:30 P.M.
#20 SOUTHEASTERN (http://www.seufire.com/)

WALESKA, GA.

Eagles Draw Southeastern in FCS First Round - Reinhardt to host first home playoff football game
WALESKA, Ga. - No. 3 Reinhardt will open the 2016 NAIA Football Championship Series this Saturday here at Ken White Field at 1:30 p.m. against No. 20 Southeastern in the first home playoff game in the program's four-year history.

The Eagles (11-0) earned an automatic bid to the NAIA FCS by winning the Mid-South Conference West Division. Reinhardt completed an 11-0 regular season with a 58-7 win last Saturday against Bethel. L.J. Stegall (http://www.reinhardteagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3784) ran for a season-high 124 yards as the Eagles rolled up 525 yards of rushing offense in the contest.

walliver
November 14th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Power rankings:
1) the Citadel - not a dominating team, but a team that makes ther big plays when needed.
2-4 are a tossup, but I'll give numbers anyway
2) Samford - highest quality OOC win
3) Wofford - beat #4
4) Chatty - still only 2 losses
5) Mercer - gave Sammy a run for their money
6) Furman - getting their act together after the action is done
7) VMI - team hasn't really fallen, but the rest of the conference is improved
8) WCU - Spiers is a good coach, but needs to clean house with his staff
9) ETSU - struggled against D2.

Predictions:
the Citadel at North Carolina - Bellhops quest for a second P5 win in two years will take them against a pissed-off tarheel team which has already shown it can slow down the option. Bullpups keep it close for a half, but the goats pull away in the second and win 35-20
Samford at ETSU - The Bama pups need this game and the Mountain Pirates don't have the offense to keep up. Samford 42-17
Furman at Mercer - Probably the best game for viewing. Furman trying to salvage their season and the cubbie's first modern football class plays their last game. Horsies try to run wild, but Mercer pulls out a 31-18 win
UTC at Alabama - Trainbirds leave FCS to play at NFL-South leader Alabama. This game could get ugly early, but the elephants may pull their starters early to save them for Auburn, and Alabama wins 35-14
VMI at Wofford - The keydets have ruined outr playoff plans before, and I'm sure Mike Ayers has not forgotten. Terriers win 31-13
WCU at South Carolina - The Columbia chickens are improved from last years fiasco and will play hard. WCU is in free-fall. Chicks beat the Cants 41-6

Playoffs:
1) the Citadel has the auto bid
2) Samford safe for at-large with decent OOC win against UCA.
3) Wofford - won head-to-head with Chatty
4) Chatty - ranked in the Top 10 all year

I suspect the SoCon gets all 4, but if only 3 get in, Wofford and Chatty will fight it out.
Resumes would be extremely similar: 2 SoCon losses (no "bad" losses), 1 loss to SEC team, 1 sub-DI win, 1 OOC FCS win.
Chatty advantages: Alabama will help strength of schedule. Good win over Sammy
Wofford advantages: Beating TTU on the road probably better than PC at home. Winner of head-to-head

My guess:
The Citadel gets a seed.
Sammy has on outside chance at a seed but probably plays UCA in the first round instead
Chatty host Charleston Southern
Wofford travels to the west coast.

CID1990
November 14th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Power rankings:
1) the Citadel - not a dominating team, but a team that makes ther big plays when needed.
2-4 are a tossup, but I'll give numbers anyway
2) Samford - highest quality OOC win
3) Wofford - beat #4
4) Chatty - still only 2 losses
5) Mercer - gave Sammy a run for their money
6) Furman - getting their act together after the action is done
7) VMI - team hasn't really fallen, but the rest of the conference is improved
8) WCU - Spiers is a good coach, but needs to clean house with his staff
9) ETSU - struggled against D2.

Predictions:
the Citadel at North Carolina - Bellhops quest for a second P5 win in two years will take them against a pissed-off tarheel team which has already shown it can slow down the option. Bullpups keep it close for a half, but the goats pull away in the second and win 35-20
Samford at ETSU - The Bama pups need this game and the Mountain Pirates don't have the offense to keep up. Samford 42-17
Furman at Mercer - Probably the best game for viewing. Furman trying to salvage their season and the cubbie's first modern football class plays their last game. Horsies try to run wild, but Mercer pulls out a 31-18 win
UTC at Alabama - Trainbirds leave FCS to play at NFL-South leader Alabama. This game could get ugly early, but the elephants may pull their starters early to save them for Auburn, and Alabama wins 35-14
VMI at Wofford - The keydets have ruined outr playoff plans before, and I'm sure Mike Ayers has not forgotten. Terriers win 31-13
WCU at South Carolina - The Columbia chickens are improved from last years fiasco and will play hard. WCU is in free-fall. Chicks beat the Cants 41-6

Playoffs:
1) the Citadel has the auto bid
2) Samford safe for at-large with decent OOC win against UCA.
3) Wofford - won head-to-head with Chatty
4) Chatty - ranked in the Top 10 all year

I suspect the SoCon gets all 4, but if only 3 get in, Wofford and Chatty will fight it out.
Resumes would be extremely similar: 2 SoCon losses (no "bad" losses), 1 loss to SEC team, 1 sub-DI win, 1 OOC FCS win.
Chatty advantages: Alabama will help strength of schedule. Good win over Sammy
Wofford advantages: Beating TTU on the road probably better than PC at home. Winner of head-to-head

My guess:
The Citadel gets a seed.
Sammy has on outside chance at a seed but probably plays UCA in the first round instead
Chatty host Charleston Southern
Wofford travels to the west coast.

If we lose to UNC by only two touchdowns then that means we played them closer than JMU? What was that score?

Catamount87
November 14th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Power rankings
1) the Citadel - Continues to find a way to win
2) Samford - one step better than Wofford, one step less than the Citadel
3) Wofford - in the mix once again and nipping at the heels of #2
4) Chatty - weakness against the run is starting to show
5) Mercer - as competitive as any but the loss to Samford puts them just outside the playoff hunt
6) Furman - emerging a little to late from their multi-year funk
7) WCU - In a defensive funk that Coach Speir is addressing, too much offensive talent that's affected by the defensive funk
8) VMI - right there with anyone in the SoCon but a 1/2 step behind still
9) ETSU - struggled against a D2, this rosey blossom has definitely wilted away

Predictions
The Citadel at UNC - Tarheels take out their loss to Duke on the Dogs
Samford at ETSU - Samford scores and scores often
Furman at Mercer - Furman in another close game but Mercer pulls it out
UTC at Alabama - It'll be close for a quarter
VMI at Wofford - Terriers roll up big rushing yardage in a runaway win
WCU at South Carolina - USC plays the reserves early and often

SU DOG
November 14th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I'm not sure that Wofford isn't the BEST in the SoCon right now. They have adjusted to their new QB, and now pose more of a passing threat than they used to. That is NOT how I would rank it, because The Citadel has to be given that spot that they have rightfully earned. Whoever draws the Terriers, however, will have their hands VERY full.

catamount man
November 14th, 2016, 07:25 PM
ETSU struggled with an NAIA school. Cumberland U is NAIA, not d2.

ElCid
November 14th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I'm not sure that Wofford isn't the BEST in the SoCon right now. They have adjusted to their new QB, and now pose more of a passing threat than they used to. That is NOT how I would rank it, because The Citadel has to be given that spot that they have rightfully earned. Whoever draws the Terriers, however, will have their hands VERY full.

Yeah, glad we got by them. It was all our D because they had our number on O. I can't believe folks are not voting them higher. They are for real. If CSU draws them, Wofford will take them.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2016, 08:28 PM

If Mercer holds Furman to 18, then you can consider me surprised.

It will be a tough scrap, but I see both teams in the 20s and probably 30s.

bonarae
November 14th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Tarholes
Samford
Furman
Alabama
Wofford
South Carolina

catamount man
November 15th, 2016, 06:46 AM
1) Citadel
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Chatty
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7-9) WCU, VMI, ETSU - they are all 1-1 against each other.

Citadel upsets UNC
Wofford over VMI
SC over WCU
Furman over Mercer
Bama rolls UTC
Samford rolls ETSU

On to WCU hoops season!

ElCid
November 15th, 2016, 06:53 AM
1) Citadel
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Chatty
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7-9) WCU, VMI, ETSU - they are all 1-1 against each other.

Citadel upsets UNC
Wofford over VMI
SC over WCU
Furman over Mercer
Bama rolls UTC
Samford rolls ETSU

On to WCU hoops season!

I like the positive waves.

Toby
November 15th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Certainly remains to be seen what the fine members of the Selection Committee will do...but based on the SoCon being the consensus 2nd strongest Conference in FCS...

RANK
CONFERENCE
SAGARIN RATING

MISSOURI VALLEY

SOUTHERN

BIG SKY

COLONIAL

BIG SOUTH

OHIO VALLEY

PATRIOT

IVY LEAGUE

SOUTHLAND

NORTHEAST

SWAC-WEST

MID-EASTERN

SWAC-EAST

PIONEER

Conference
Massey Rating

Missouri Valley

Southern

Big Sky

Big South

Colonial

Southland

OH Valley

Patriot League

Ivy League

Northeast

SWAC West

Pioneer

Southwestern AC

Mid-Eastern AC

SWAC East

Conference
Wilson Rating

Missouri Valley Football Conference

Southern Conference

Big Sky Conference

Big South

Colonial Athletic Association

Ohio Valley Conference

Southland Conference

Patriot League

Ivy League

Northeast Conference

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

Pioneer Football League

Southwestern Athletic Conference

...and with my 'friend,' the well-known analyst, David Wilson, ranking the top 6 Teams in the SoCon thusly...

Wilson National Ranking
Team
Wilson Rating

Citadel

Samford

Tn.-Chattanooga

Wofford

Mercer

Furman

Props to FUBeAR for being the first person I know that discussed the possibility of the SoCon getting 4 teams in the playoffs this year.

PaladinFan
November 15th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Props to FUBeAR for being the first person I know that discussed the possibility of the SoCon getting 4 teams in the playoffs this year.

He's also the last person that still thinks Mercer has a shot. :)

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2016, 10:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXdE7pBTjQ

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2016, 10:53 PM
He's also the last person that still thinks Mercer has a shot. :)

As Coach Gandhi once said...

http://i.quoteaddicts.com/media/quotes/2/62558-it-takes-courage-to-stand-alone.jpg

Catamount87
November 16th, 2016, 07:47 AM
With a win against Furman, Mercer would be 6-5 overall and 4-4 in the SoCon. I think it would be great if they got in but they'll be on the outside looking in and only a passing thought as a bubble team. Had they beaten either The Citadel, Samford or Wofford, then I think they would be considered, albeit a bubble team but at the upper levels of the bubble.

SU DOG
November 16th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Coach Bobby Lamb's thoughts on the strength of the SoCon:

http://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/peach-state-sports-blog/article114900718.html?utm_content=buffer15f9e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 16th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I was incognito the past couple of weeks or so. Congratulations to The Citadel Bulldogs for winning the Southern Conference title. Here's where I have it after this week:

1) The Citadel - Last team standing that has never lost this season
2) Wofford - Can punch a playoff ticket with win
3) Chattanooga - Has a realistic shot of going to the playoffs
4) Samford - In the same boat as Wofford
5) Mercer - Has a chance to get in with win
6) Furman - Came alive the last few weeks
7) ETSU - Met my definition of a successful season with ugly win
8) VMI - Had nothing to be ashamed of against The Citadel
9) Western Carolina - What more can I say?

Predictions
VMI @ Wofford - Terriers build on momentum from last week
Furman @ Mercer - Bears win in an effort to keep their season alive
The Citadel @ North Carolina (Upset Special of the Week) - Hell, why not?
Samford @ ETSU - Bulldogs find a way to win
Western Carolina @ South Carolina - Gamecocks avoid repeat of last year
Chattanooga @ Alabama - Tide rolls the Moc train off the tracks

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2016, 03:13 PM
5) Mercer - Has a chance to get in with win

Furman @ Mercer - Bears win in an effort to keep their season alive

Nanny Nanny Boo Boo to you, PaladinFan!

SU DOG
November 16th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Providing they win this week, I would LOVE to see Mercer slide in there as a 5th SoCon team. I am sure of one thing - Mercer would NOT embarrass the SoCon if that happened. Throw out their one bad game vs UTC, and you see that the Bears lost to three ranked teams by a total of 16 points!!!

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Providing they win this week, I would LOVE to see Mercer slide in there as a 5th SoCon team. I am sure of one thing - Mercer would NOT embarrass the SoCon if that happened. Throw out their one bad HALF vs UTC, and you see that the Bears lost to three ranked teams by a total of 16 points!!!

Atta guy!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SU DOG again."

Also - FIFY

Catamount87
November 17th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Even if Mercer wins to finish 6-5 and is considered, their strength of schedule (47.79 on the Seagarin chart) will probably be the deciding factor that keeps them out. (Personally, I'd love to see them make it in.) The 0-10 Austin Peay on the schedule is probably dragging Mercer's SoS down a healthy bit. Teams like IL State, Western IL, Cal Poly or N. Colorado will potentially end up 6-5 but with stronger SoS which would push Mercer to the bottom of the bubble list. This all reminds me of the WCU playoff discussions the last two years. SoS was a big factor in keeping us out, especially last year.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2016, 07:51 AM
NORTH CAROLINA
SAMFORD
MERCER
ALABAMA
WOFFORD
SOUTH CAROLINA

walliver
November 17th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Even if Mercer wins to finish 6-5 and is considered, their strength of schedule (47.79 on the Seagarin chart) will probably be the deciding factor that keeps them out. (Personally, I'd love to see them make it in.) The 0-10 Austin Peay on the schedule is probably dragging Mercer's SoS down a healthy bit. Teams like IL State, Western IL, Cal Poly or N. Colorado will potentially end up 6-5 but with stronger SoS which would push Mercer to the bottom of the bubble list. This all reminds me of the WCU playoff discussions the last two years. SoS was a big factor in keeping us out, especially last year.

Even with a signature OOC win, I doubt Mercer would have much of a chance. Taking 5 teams from a 9 team conference (and one of the 9 a second year program) seems somewhat of a stretch. A 8-3 Terrier team stayed home in 2004 due to not being able to beat any of the old "Big 3" (GSU, ASU, and FU).

Toby
November 17th, 2016, 01:01 PM

This indeed is the conventional wisdom. But 2016 is the year conventional wisdom was turned upside down (i.e. Chicago Cubs down 3-1 and the 98% chance of President Clinton by the New York Times on Monday, November 7th). So odder things have happened. I think focusing on a much improved Furman team is the preferred course of action.

walliver
November 17th, 2016, 01:35 PM
This indeed is the conventional wisdom. But 2016 is the year conventional wisdom was turned upside down (i.e. Chicago Cubs down 3-1 and the 98% chance of President Clinton by the New York Times on Monday, November 7th). So odder things have happened. I think focusing on a much improved Furman team is the preferred course of action.

I have been following the Committee, and the only thing that is ever certain is that about every other year The Committee does something that is a big surprise to everybody.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I'm sorry. I don't buy it.

At best, Mercer would be 6-5. They would have zero wins over teams with winning records. Zero wins over top 25 teams. Mercer's best argument is "hey, we beat a bunch of bad teams and we didn't lose as badly as many people thought to a couple of good teams not named UTC and Wofford."

Yes, Western Illinois got in with 6 wins last year. They also beat the #5 and #12 team in the country while playing in the toughest conference.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't say we are "much improved." We've been doing about the same thing all season. We just played a brutal schedule the first half of the year.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Picks:
Chattanooga - 7
Alabama -49 - Beatdown of the Week - The Tide by as many as they want
The Citadel - 13
North Carolina - 35 - After USC last year, the Dogs will not sneak up on the Heels
Furman - 28 Game of the Week - I had a hard time picking this one as Mercer is tough but Furman has been playing well. I think the Paladins pull the upset this week.
Mercer - 24
Samford -41 - Samford warms up for the playoffs
ETSU - 9
VMI - 10
Wofford - 35 - The Terriers keep their playoff hopes alive
Western Carolina - 10
South Carolina - 41 - The Gamecocks roll against the Catamounts

Rankings :
1.) The Citadel - Keep the top spot until someone knocks them off
2.) Samford - A win at ETSU this week should punch their ticket to the playoffs
3.) Wofford - Played a great game this week - bubble team for playoffs
4.) Chattanooga - Didn’t play like they wanted to win this weekend - bubble team for playoffs
5.) Mercer - The Bears will be fighting for a winning season this week
6.) Furman - Where was this Paladin offense earlier this year??
7.) Western Carolina - Defense kills the good Catamount offense
8.) VMI - Need Cobb back
9. ETSU - About where we thought the program would be at this point.

Playoff Picture:
8 wins pretty much guarantees you a spot in the playoff field, and with 7 D1 wins you “should” be in, but no guarantees. I seriously doubt a 6 win SoCon team gets in this year.
Possible D1 wins (excluding $ games)
The Citadel - 9 - Autobid and should get a seed
Chattanooga - 7
Samford - 7
Wofford - 7
Mercer - 6 - Eliminated
VMI - 4 - Eliminated
Furman - 4 - Eliminated
ETSU - 3 - Eliminated
Western Carolina - 2 - Eliminated

moc n tn1991
November 17th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Rankings :
1.) The Citadel
2.) Samford
3.)Chattanooga
4.) Wofford
5.) Mercer
6.) Furman
7.) VMI
8.) Western Carolina
9.) ETSU

Prediction:
Wofford over VMI
Mercer over Furman
UNC over The Citadel
Samford over ETSU
South Carolina over Western Carolina
Chattanooga over Alabama, Chattanooga wins $500,000 from Alabama

Scrappy94
November 18th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Rankings:

1. The Citadel - Still undefeated
*T2. Chattanooga - What has happened to our run defense? Too many missed opportunities on offense.
*T2. Samford - Won a close one.
*T2. Wofford - Got a big win. Kept playoff hopes alive.
3. Mercer - Good fight, but playoffs chances are gone.
4. Furman - Looking much better.
5. VMI - Good showing against The Citadel.
6. Western Carolina - Defense didn't show up.
7. ETSU - As expected.

*1-1 vs each other

Predictions:

Chattanooga @ Alabama - 52-0 - Huesman always plays conservative in these games. Backups in for the 2nd half. Huesman will try to keep starters rested and prevent injury. Bama will tear us up with our struggling run defense. Personally, I feel like we need to make a statement, and give it our best shot for the playoff committee.
Furman @ Mercer - 31-28 - Furman finally looking strong enough to win these games.
Wofford @ VMI - 35-10 - Wofford has momentum, and needs to win to keep playoff hopes alive.
Citadel @ North Carolina - 38-17 - No upset for the Bulldogs this year.
Western Caroina @ South Carolina - 41-7 - Gamecocks avoid an FCS upset this year.
Samford @ ETSU - 45-10 - Bulldogs needs to win to stay off the bubble. Will score as much as they want.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2016, 12:28 AM
No 2-Parter this week and no David Wilson to help with Power Rankings...

I like the way Scrappy94 laid out his Power Rankings, so I'll borrow that format (ranking numbers shown ARE intentional)...

POWER RANKINGS
1. The Citadel - Found ways to pull out very close wins against Mercer (+1), Furman (+5), Chattanooga (+8), Wofford (+3 in OT), and Samford (+3 in OT) (average margin of victory = 5 points). Putting themselves in position to and then gaining those victories speaks volumes about their character as a Team. Clearly, the Bulldogs execute what they do on Offense better than any Team in the SoCon, if not all of FCS. And, their D plays with the kind of effort and exuberance required to win Championships. IF they don't put the dang ball on the ground in the Playoffs, El Cid can have a long run and just may be able to ride their Offensive discipline, their Defensive fire, and their SoCon battle-tested ability to find a way to win the close ones, all the way to Frisco.
*T2. Chattanooga - Other than their 1st half vs. El Cid, the Mocs have appeared uninspired since their 1st half against Mercer. Must get that FIRE back for Playoffs. If they play with HIGH EFFORT (particularly their OL) on Offense and play disciplined on Defense, they have the overall talent and balance to go a long way in the Playoffs.
*T2. Samford - Though Sammy fans disagree, last week, it became CLEAR to me, if they can't/won't run the ball when their opponent 'dares' them to, their Playoff run will be too short. Very talented Team on Offense and good enough on Defense. Can go deep in the Playoffs IF they can/will run the ball well enough to make their opponents 'play fair.'
*T2. Wofford - This Woffy Team seems both cursed and blessed. Very emotional season for them. Not afraid to do whatever it takes on Offense to WIN, even if that means NOT 'doing what they do.' Terriers D has also been able to 'play up' this season with some new faces in the secondary. If they can/will embrace their 'magic' and own that this Team is Special...and play like they ARE, they can make a run and send some favored Playoff opponents home sad and wondering how they got whipped!
**T3. Mercer - Love the 29 Sr's, including 17 "Day1's" that are wrapping up their Mercer Football careers on Satuday. They are absolutely pissed off at themselves that they didn't win more SoCon games and at least 1 Championship in their 3 years in the Conference, but there's not 1 Team in the SoCon that can say, "We whipped the Bears a$$e$ every year" Woffy, Sammy, and El Cid can say they finished 3-0 vs. this group of OriginalBears, but only 1 of those 9 games was anywhere close to an a$$-whippin' (Woffy '14 gets the honor of that claim) and most of them were dogfights to the very end. Every Team in the SoCon knew they were in for a fight with Mercer and that the fight was not going to over until the clock showed 0:00, regardless of what the scoreboard said. Not too shabby for a bunch of walk-on's that no other SoCon Team wanted and just a couple of transfers, 17 of whom decided to come play Football at Mercer when the only evidence of the school having a Football Team was a mudhole and some drawings. Very Proud of these young men!!
**T3. Furman - Very good Team that should kick the (former) AD's a$$ and/or the SoCon for the schedule-hand they were dealt. That said, they did not deal with 'hand' well and they had a few key injuries hamper their efforts to climb off the ropes mid-season. Putting it together now though and looking like the Team they could have been this Season.
7. VMI - Lot of fight in this bunch. Even though they lost a close one to WCU, I'm ranking them higher because they showed up every week and played HARD. Losing their ACE trigger-man the week before that game, no doubt, affected the outcome. This is a program headed in the right direction and will break some SoCon hearts in the years ahead.
8. ETSU - Better than expected this Season. Beating 8-2 and ranked Kennesaw to start the Season and then taking advantage of the cracks that started showing early in WCU's 'armor' for their 1st SoCon win are HUGE accomplishments. On campus stadium is going to be beautiful and a great environment. They will join the mix of Teams competing for the SoCon title in 2018, if not next season.
9. Western Carolina - Talented skill players, a potential 'phenom' at QB and a RB that's as good as any in FCS. BUT major issues in the trenches and on the Defensive side of the ball. Coach Speir may have to work harder this off-season than he did his 1st 2 years to get the Catamount Train headed back in the direction it was going in 2014 & 2015.

*1-1 vs each other
** 2 Teams that, IMO, overall, are as Talented as the 4 ahead of them, but just didn't put 'it' together this season, and/or do quite enough to pull out close wins, and/or lost key players to injuries/other reasons at critical junctures of the season. Again, IMO, both of these Teams, would (as I fully expect the 4 ahead of them to do) do the SoCon proud IF they had been able to put together a season that landed them in the Playoffs.

PREDICTIONS

Last Week...4-1
* My Pick: The Citadel @ VMI 27-14 / Actual: Bellhops won 30-20 - Keydets made it a little closer than expected, but in the ballpark
* My Pick: Cumberland College @ ETSU 28-13 / Actual: Buccaneers won 23-16 - Again, a little closer than expected, but not too far off
* My Pick: Wofford @ Chattanooga 34-14 / Actual: AnkleBiters won 36-28 - Guess I expected to see "1st Half vs. Mercer Chatt," but Mocs seemed detached and Terriers came to play (and WIN). Missed this one badly!
* My Pick: Mercer @ Samford 56-20 / Actual: BullPups won 24-19. Did not expect Mercer's D to be able to shut down Sammy's high-powered offense for the final 3 quarters. Hit the Bears' number pretty close though...even though I didn't anticipate John Russ having 41 Rushing Attempts!
* My Pick: WCU @ Furman 35-24 / Actual: Paladins prevail 49-21 overestimated the amount of fight remaining in WCU's Defense and didn't know Furman was going to 'dust off' their excellent 235lb RB, who previously this season had 9 carries for 24 yards, but started vs. WCU and had 17 carries for 171 yards and 2 TD's

39-16-1 - .709 for the Season

This Week...
* VMI @ Wofford 2:00 PM - Cobb is listed as the starting QB in the VMI Game Notes, so the Roos have a chance. On the other hand, the combination of Woffy's excellent D-Line and their blitz packages (if they blitz enough...which should be often) may make him re-think his decision to play. They will get to him early and often. Don't think the Keydet D is quite strong enough to stop the PorchYappers O either...and this game is CRITICAL for Woffy. I see the SmallDogs winning 38-14
* Furman @ Mercer 3:00 PM - Abstain from picking this one. I think it will be an excellent hard-fought game. I think the Team that executes better and plays closer to their full potential for all 4 quarters will win. If both Teams do that equally, then I fear the SoCon Officials and their oft-witnessed incompetence will have way too much of an impact on the outcome of this game...and that will make me very sad - regardless of that outcome.
* The Citadel @ North Carolina 3:30 PM - I want to pick the Bellhops in this one, but UNC will not be caught off-guard - 10-0 is too big of a 'Neon Sign' to ignore. Also, the Rams had a 'practice game' vs. GT's TO Offense a couple of weeks ago and graded out well. Cheatin' BabyBlue over HonorCode BabyBlue 35-21
* Samford @ ETSU 3:30 PM - Sammy won't need to run it against the HillsideOceanBandits, who actually can stop the run pretty well. Sammy tunes up for Playoffs and the BullPups come away with a 56-17 win.
* WCU @ South Carolina 4:00 PM - Catamounts will enjoy the atmosphere at Williams-Brice Stadium and the check will not bounce. Roosters roll 77-17
* Chattanooga @ Alabama 7:00 PM - Very well may have the look of a lopsided 1st Week NFL Exhibition Game. I think both Teams will play their starters for the 1st quarter and then focus on their respective more important contests ahead. CrimsonElephantYellowHammers JV takes down the Mocs 2nd Teamers 42-17

ElCid
November 19th, 2016, 07:32 PM
So we had pretty much the most screwed up week in the SOCON all year today. Samford going down to ETSU, WCU hanging tough all day with USC. The Citadel looking like they didn't even want to be there with 4 turnovers and out gaining UNC and dominating the TOP 3 to 1 and still getting walloped. And UTC giving Alabama all they can handle at least in the first half so far. Wofford stood fast, and Mercer got their first winning season since being in the SOCON, which they almost got last year. Yeah, it was a unique day. Maybe the Mocs can make it even more interesting. Looks like Samford may be toast but a bunch of other teams crapped the bed as well so we will have to see. If UTC can keep it within a score or two, they may be back in the seed discussion.

moc n tn1991
November 19th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Saban is furious with his Alabama team at half. 'Bama up 14 - 3 over Chattanooga at half.

ElCid
November 19th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I really want to see Craine let loose in the second half.

moc n tn1991
November 19th, 2016, 07:56 PM
That will be tough against their D

SU DOG
November 19th, 2016, 08:26 PM
So we had pretty much the most screwed up week in the SOCON all year today. Samford going down to ETSU, WCU hanging tough all day with USC. The Citadel looking like they didn't even want to be there with 4 turnovers and out gaining UNC and dominating the TOP 3 to 1 and still getting walloped. And UTC giving Alabama all they can handle at least in the first half so far. Wofford stood fast, and Mercer got their first winning season since being in the SOCON, which they almost got last year. Yeah, it was a unique day. Maybe the Mocs can make it even more interesting. Looks like Samford may be toast but a bunch of other teams crapped the bed as well so we will have to see. If UTC can keep it within a score or two, they may be back in the seed discussion.

Samford is playing like we ARE toast.

moc n tn1991
November 19th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Looks like Alabama is still playing their starters into the 4th.

moc n tn1991
November 19th, 2016, 09:09 PM
2 minutes left in the game and Saban puts his backup QB in the game.

ElCid
November 19th, 2016, 09:25 PM

Mocs did alright. Held Bama to second lowest score all year. Not too shabby. Could effect their playoff computer numbers if they lose the next week or two.

longtimemocfan
November 19th, 2016, 09:31 PM
It was the lowest output by Alabama against a FCS team under Saban.

Mocs123
November 19th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Proud of the Mocs - Nothing to be ashamed of today.

Good offensive performance by the Cats today.

And what happened to Samford?????????? I mean they were in the playoffs and now they blew it.

Smitty
November 19th, 2016, 10:09 PM

With all the talk about selections and playoffs, Alabama probably wanted to make sure that they didn't screw up their chances of remaining #1...

walliver
November 19th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Alabama played well. They scored almost as many points as Wofford;)

Mocs123
November 20th, 2016, 07:06 AM
On a side note Georgia Southern lost to Georgia State yesterday.

walliver
November 20th, 2016, 08:07 AM

For the second year in a row!

citdog
November 20th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Nice job by the REAL GSU!

longtimemocfan
November 20th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Nice job by the REAL GSU!

I wonder if they miss us yet ?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I wonder if they miss us yet ?

Nope. Just need to get rid of our terrible coach and we'll be okay.

Mocs123
November 20th, 2016, 10:34 AM
4 SoCon teams in the playoffs. We each need to wins game or two.

Chattanooga hosts Weber State (Big Sky)

Wofford plays Charleston Southern (Big South)

Samford at Younstown State (MVFC)

Let's all go win our first round games and make the SoCon proud.

BullDog85
November 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Good to see the Sammy lil' pups make the playoffs despite laying a SoCon egg yesterday. The SoCon needs to step up now and show they deserved the 4 seeds.

dungeonjoe
November 20th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Time for playoff week one SoCon swagger!

ETSUfan1
November 20th, 2016, 12:18 PM
ETSU set the school's all-time record for time of possession yesterday. ETSU had the ball for 43 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdinva
November 20th, 2016, 12:30 PM
ETSU set the school's all-time record for time of possession yesterday. ETSU had the ball for 43 minutes!

good job.......Sammy won't win with only 17 minutes of offense against any opponent

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2016, 02:54 PM
1. The Citadel...IF they don't put the dang ball on the ground in the Playoffs, El Cid can have a long run and just may be able to ride their Offensive discipline, their Defensive fire, and their SoCon battle-tested ability to find a way to win the close ones, all the way to Frisco.
THE CITADEL (10-1) -VS- NORTH CAROLINA (8-3)

Statistic
CIT

Fumbles - Lost
5-3

OK, my Bellhop Friends, we've talked about this. I'm not going to think of this as the start of a bad trend. Instead, I'm going to view it as 'just getting it out of your system' BEFORE the Playoffs. Let's get this locked down during the off-week!

Wait, now that I think about it...since I believe ElCid will be playing another SoCon Team in their 1st Playoff game, I'm not sure if I care if the Bulldogs want to lay the ball all over the turf at JHS on 12/3. Well, I guess if they do, it would still look bad for the SoCon and there's a chance that they could be playing ChuckSouth (again), so, yeah...TIGHTEN IT UP!

#REPRESENT

ElCid
November 20th, 2016, 04:51 PM
THE CITADEL (10-1) -VS- NORTH CAROLINA (8-3)

Statistic
CIT

Fumbles - Lost
5-3

OK, my Bellhop Friends, we've talked about this. I'm not going to think of this as the start of a bad trend. Instead, I'm going to view it as 'just getting it out of your system' BEFORE the Playoffs. Let's get this locked down during the off-week!

Wait, now that I think about it...since I believe ElCid will be playing another SoCon Team in their 1st Playoff game, I'm not sure if I care if the Bulldogs want to lay the ball all over the turf at JHS on 12/3. Well, I guess if they do, it would still look bad for the SoCon and there's a chance that they could be playing ChuckSouth (again), so, yeah...TIGHTEN IT UP!

#REPRESENT

Yeah, it was ridiculous. We dominated TOP to the tune of 42+ to 17+. We outgained them. We should have been right there. And would have if not for the Pick 6, Kickoff return for a TD, the 3 lost fumbles, the missed FG. Oopsy. Hopefully they got it out of their system.

Catamount87
November 21st, 2016, 09:17 AM
It was a little wacky this weekend in the SoCon.

The Citadel @ UNC - Bellhops absolutely dominate ToP, hold the Heels to 1 for 8 on 3rd down but turn it over 4 times leading to 16 UNC points. Add to that, the dogs turned it over on downs once leading to another UNC TD
Samford @ ETSU - Samford, WTH? ETSU made Samford their $%^&#. Who knew ETSU had Dominatrix tendencies?
UTC @ Alabama - The Mocs played competitive, dominated ToP but ultimately couldn't run the ball or stop the run.
VMI @ Wofford - VMI again showed the SoCon they can't be overlooked. However, turnovers and special teams were the difference.
WCU @ South Carolina - Cats drop 31 on the Gamecocks, WCU's defense showed improvement but still couldn't stop the run while the offense showed again they can run on SEC teams.(Why don't they dominate with the run in the SoCon though???) Special teams for each team made it exciting with a kickoff return for a TD.
Furman @ Mercer - Poster game for the competitiveness in the SoCon

walliver
November 21st, 2016, 09:26 AM
WCU @ South Carolina - Cats drop 31 on the Gamecocks, WCU's defense showed improvement but still couldn't stop the run while the offense showed again they can run on SEC teams.(Why don't they dominate with the run in the SoCon though???)...

The thing about the SoCon is that everybody knows what everybody else is going to do and plans for it.
With FBS games, especially against P5 teams, they play fundamental defense with little specific optimization.

Catamount87
November 21st, 2016, 09:51 AM
The thing about the SoCon is that everybody knows what everybody else is going to do and plans for it.
With FBS games, especially against P5 teams, they play fundamental defense with little specific optimization.

Here's one of two big runs we had, http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18089511

cidgrad89
November 26th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Told ya. Their defense is hell.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Great job today by the Mocs and the Terriers! Way to #REPRESENT !!

Not too bad by Samford, IMO. Probably the worst 1st round draw the Bulldogs could have gotten from a 'match-up' and geography perspective. Plus, I think their final 2 SoCon games gave YSU an excellent 'look' at how to slow down/stop the "HatchAttack." Add in YSU's Secondary Players' abilities to play Press Man coverage and it projected to a long day for Sammy. Still completed 65% and threw for 372. But...17 rushing attempts for 24 yards just won't get it done in the Playoffs, I don't think.

Sucks that only 2 SoCon Teams can advance beyond this week though, but I expect all 3 remaining Teams to give the FCS "Nation" a great showing next weekend!

Don't put the ball on the ground Bellhops! It's OK if the Terriers knock it out, but no self-destruction!

No "Pitch6's" PorchYappers! And no putting the ball on the ground in the inevitable Overtime(s). And, most importantly, NO MORE PLAYERS going down with serious issues!

Mocs - you just do what-you-did-today+ and you'll SURVIVE AND ADVANCE!

#REPRESENT

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Samford didn't have a great draw, but also sort of made that bed by losing to ETSU.