PDA

View Full Version : Maine-UNH Border War Game

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 13th, 2016, 09:37 AM
For all the marbles, winner gets in and the loser goes home. UNH has ruled us winning 13 out of the last 14 but Maine certainly has a better chance this year. Maine like most teams has showed signs of being a real good team, yesterday first half against the Brook and W&M, only to lose the lead in the 2nd half but manage to hang on. Every Maine win has been by a TD or less but neither have they loss a close game, except for UConnxbawlingx
Anyhow don't see why this game won't be a one score game and probably come down to last possession as well. Kickoff 1pm, figures the last two games are noon and now with daylight savings over we decide to start later. Weather sounds fantastic 55F and sunny.
How is UNH traveling this year?
Expect Maine to get 7-8K especially if we decide market the game, it is HS championship day in Portland that might hurt attendance a tad.

Schism55
November 13th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Goo Black Bears! Would love to see Maine in the playoffs xdrunkyx

Gangtackle11
November 13th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Should be a good game. Slight edge to Maine.

WrenFGun
November 13th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Do we really think the winner is definitely in? If UNH and Albany are both sitting there at 7-4 for the last spot, can you let UNH win with 2 more conference wins and a H2H loss? No idea. Maine is in if they win, no doubt, IMO, but UNH? Can't be certain. I'd say they're definitely in with a win and an Albany loss, as the Big Sky chaos helped them (though Wofford's win hurt).

melloware13
November 13th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I think if Maine wins, only Maine gets in from this game. If UNH wins, UNH is in (Albany has a much worse loss) and Maine is hoping for chaos elsewhere in the country. Albany needs to win and hope for some chaos.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 16th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Nice article in the BDN about Cam Shorey's return to Maine. Remember watching Calais HS and the Shorey's scrimmage our HS JV football their first year of playing football. Sounds like he has had a good career for you guys.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/11/15/sports/football/calais-native-at-unh-returns-home-for-critical-football-clash-against-umaine/

Have not heard anything official about our #2 receiver Jaleel Reed returning from thumb surgery for this game. Are you guys down a RB?

Mattymc727
November 16th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Shorey has had a pretty boring senior season...Could be coaching however

Lehigh'98
November 16th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Maine +2.5. looks like a very close game.

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Shorey has had a pretty boring senior season...Could be coaching however

Cam Shorey and Jae-Wuan Horton [UNH's two starting DE's] were expected to be impact players entering the season. They've made literally no impact at all, which has really hurt us in close games against Albany and Dartmouth. Hopefully Shorey has a career game this weekend or it'll definitely be his last.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Big playoff streak on the line for UNH. I believe it's at 12 years now with 2003 being the last year they didn't make it.

Mattymc727
November 16th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Im of the belief that even if UNH wins, Albany should get in over UNH (If they beat SBU).

Albany has the H/H win
Albany beat an FBS team
Albany's worse loss (Delaware) is better than UNH's worse loss (Dartmouth)

Not even sure how you can compare the two and think UNH has a better resume.

If Maine wins, they are in over UNH and Albany, obviously.

Mattymc727
November 16th, 2016, 03:13 PM
UNH getting in over Albany would show collusion between the selection committee and UNH's athletic direcotor, Marty Scarano. It happened in 2012 when Towson was more deserving than UNH as well.

Gangtackle11
November 16th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Im of the belief that even if UNH wins, Albany should get in over UNH (If they beat SBU).

Albany has the H/H win
Albany beat an FBS team
Albany's worse loss (Delaware) is better than UNH's worse loss (Dartmouth)

Not even sure how you can compare the two and think UNH has a better resume.

If Maine wins, they are in over UNH and Albany, obviously.

I agree with you here. Another consideration is both Albany & UNH are snubbed if UNI beats SDSU & Illinois State's wins are considered better than both CAA teams. Plus you'll have a couple of 7-4 Big Sky teams in the mix.

Schism55
November 16th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Sadly, I have not had an opportunity to see Albany play yet this season. What are your guys thoughts on them and their possible chance in the playoffs?

Gangtackle11
November 16th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Sadly, I have not had an opportunity to see Albany play yet this season. What are your guys thoughts on them and their possible chance in the playoffs?

Meh...Less than 50/50.

Lehigh'98
November 16th, 2016, 04:55 PM
UNH getting in over Albany would show collusion between the selection committee and UNH's athletic direcotor, Marty Scarano. It happened in 2012 when Towson was more deserving than UNH as well. That was a disaster in 2012. Towson absolutely crushed UNH H2H at their place and had same records.

citdog
November 16th, 2016, 05:24 PM
how long before these two quit playing for a musket?? how do they explain it to the children???

Gangtackle11
November 16th, 2016, 05:52 PM
how long before these two quit playing for a musket?? how do they explain it to the children???

It's the 2nd Amendment protected Bowl in reality.

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2016, 07:23 PM
That was a disaster in 2012. Towson absolutely crushed UNH H2H at their place and had same records.

To be CLEAR, they DID NOT have the same record. Anyone jumps to collusion in 2012 and ignores the fact that UNH was 8-3, while Towson was 7-4. Towson SHOULD have gotten in the playoffs, but not over UNH -- UNH was the third last team in by overall resume.

And again, talk of collusion is nonsense. It probably helps that Scarano is on the committee, but don't be overly cynical. There are LEGITIMATE reasons from a committee perspective (i probably don't share those reasons) why they would choose UNH over Albany (fewer FCS losses, better conference record, better record down the stretch) and reasons why they wouldn't (Albany has better wins and losses, H2H win). I'd emphasize the latter, but the committee may not. Either way, hopefully Stony Brook comes up big.

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Battle for the Brice-Cowell Musket...border war, get that **** outta here. Please change the title

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2016, 07:40 PM

IMO Ualbany has had some great recruiting classes the last 2-3 years and it starting to show. They are an incredibly young team, I looked at the roster and didn't see a lot of JR's and SR's. They are slightly undersized but very athletic and played tough. UNH played like garbage the second half with poor coaching. Ualbany made great adjustments and played very well which was enough to beat us.

mainejeff
November 17th, 2016, 06:56 AM
IMO Ualbany has had some great recruiting classes the last 2-3 years and it starting to show. They are an incredibly young team, I looked at the roster and didn't see a lot of JR's and SR's. They are slightly undersized but very athletic and played tough. UNH played like garbage the second half with poor coaching. Ualbany made great adjustments and played very well which was enough to beat us.

Agreed about Albany. They are on a path to become the dominant program in the North......and they will be very tough for UNH and Maine to recruit against.

maine612
November 17th, 2016, 03:22 PM

This is one of the few posts that have ever literally made me laugh out loud. Just tremendous. thanks Citdog.

UNHWildcat18
November 17th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Really though can we change the title? It's bothering more than the fact that this will probably be a PL thread in 3 days

van
November 17th, 2016, 09:14 PM
winner gets a trip to beautiful Bethlehem?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 18th, 2016, 04:12 AM
That 12-year streak is amazing, especially considering the diversity of teams that have risen and fallen over the years in the CAA.

ccd494
November 18th, 2016, 09:50 AM
winner gets a trip to beautiful Bethlehem?

I don't know why everyone assumes Lehigh would outbid Maine and UNH. They might, but both Maine and UNH have hosted recently and know how to submit a bid.

dunbar
November 18th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Maine didn't submit a bid.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 18th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Really though can we change the title? It's bothering more than the fact that this will probably be a PL thread in 3 days

Maybe should have said Battle???xconfusedx

Anywho, nice condensed overview, teams are pretty even stat wise, any UNH fans making the trip?

http://goblackbears.com/news/2016/11/16/football-hosts-unh-in-annual-battle-for-the-brice-cowell-musket.aspx